Hi guys. In my (rather limited) experience it's good practice to have a section for house rules. This section will almost certainly expand as the game goes on and we come across any bugs in the format. I'm fairly new to PbP, so please be patient with me.
I'll edit this first post as we go and announce when I've done so in the OOC thread. If you have any questions regarding these rules or any suggestions please feel free to post them in the DM's questions thread, or drop me a PM.
- As I mentioned in the advert, I don't intend for this to be a heavy time consuming game. By that I mean I won't be letting this get in the way of real life, and I don't expect you to either. However, I do want to keep the pace up as best I can, as it seems to be the case that when a game starts to lag, people leave and the game dies. I expect all players to post at least twice a week. I will be trying to post more often than twice a week, but if I can't this will be my minimum.
- To keep the pace up, although I'd like everyone to, I wont be waiting for every character to post during role play/NPC interaction parts of the game. If, after one of my posts, everyone hasn't said something within 48 hours I will try and post again to move the interaction on.
- Once in a while during extended rest periods I'm very much in favour of the characters interacting with each other, as I feel this builds a more realistic story. However, once a rest period has been called I'll take my cue from the rest of you. If you want to move on and keep up the pace, please say so in an OOC spoiler. If you want to have a chat, please make that known as well. However, after 48 hours I will again try and move things on, even if that just means giving you all a little nudge
- Initiative will work as follows: I will roll all initiative rolls on behalf of the party and take an average. I'll then do the same for the monsters/enemies. Whichever group rolls highest will go first and all together. This will mean the order will either go 'players then monsters' or 'monsters then players'. I've found in the past that waiting for an individual who's turn it is can slow down the game dramatically, and so we'll be running a first come first play style that should speed things up. I will however, when the party faces a very large number of enemies, separate the enemies into initiative groups. This should stop the party getting ganged up on by forty minions at once.
- Could everyone please roll for initiative for the next battle in your first action of every encounter. This means that when an encounter starts we don't have to wait around for everyone to roll for initiative. We can instead use numbers already rolled for and get straight on
- The Battlegrounds thread will contain one map in the original post. I will update this every turn or as is needed if the combat is more complex. Could players please refer to the Grid position on the map when posting their actions
I'd like all players to keep track of their own HP and powers in the Battlegrounds thread. I'd like each of you to post a reply with two sections of information. The first is a general status of your character that should take the following form:
Level One Human Layabout
5/5 Surge Value:
15 Action points:
None (Include bloody, slow, imobilised etc)
I'd like you to keep your own status updated during the battle as it makes my life a lot easier. I'll be keeping a watchful eye out but in general I'll be trusting you. The Second section I would like you to include are two separate tables showing powers that are for my use and for your allies use in the following format:
Ally Use Powers
DM Use Powers
|Power|| Type || Effect || Usable by || Availability || Notes |
|Rune of Escape || Free Action || Shift 5 Squares || An Ally within 5 squares of JohnnyDM || Whenever that ally uses his or her second wind || None |
|Power || Type || Trigger || Target || Effect || Usable by || Availabilty || Notes|
|Wrathful Hammer|| No Action || An enemy deals damage to JohnnyDM with an attack || None || JohnnyDM gains a noncumulative +3 bonus to damage rolls against that enemy until the end of his next turn || No use || Always || None |
I know this is a lot of work to start out with, and I really hope you guys don't mind me asking you to do this. Once it's done it will only need updating briefly and it will make combat (hopefully) considerably easier and smoother for all of us.
- Could all players please keep all dice rolls in the Dice Roll thread. This keeps the main thread nice and neat and easy to follow.
- I will roll for any passive checks secrety from the players. Any other skill checks I'll be relying on you making and informing me (and hopefully roleplaying them as well) in the main thread. Again, please keep this type of information under a spoiler button
- When the party are in areas that aren't considered 'safe', ie. in a dungeon or wilderness environment where there have been/are likely to be encounters, could players please post one major action and then wait for me to post before posting again. In some areas the party will be able to explore at length and have a good chat, but some times one members actions may trigger a trap or event, or might let them in on some information that might change how others would act. The idea of everyone posting once is that, in game terms, each action will be carried out 'roughly' at the same time. For example, if Captain Damakos decided to inspect the mysterious throne in one corner of the room, whilst Korath decided to smash in the door on the otherside of the room, a horde of skeletons might pour in through the door before the Captain has a chance of finding anything. On the other hand Captain Damakos may inadvertently trigger a trapdoor next to the wooden door, hurling Korath down it. Both of these things would be fine, but if the Captain had decided to idly look at the throne and then wander off for a chat with Danae who was examing an ancient tapestry in the same post, then causality wouldn't play out as it should have. This doesn't mean to say you shouldn't talk, wander, take a drink and other things that could be considered minor actions. If you're going to interact with the environment however, only do it once and then wait for the result . Phew, that was a long one
If any of you have any questions, either about this or anything to do with the game please don't hesitate to ask me via PM or, if you think everyone could benefit from your question, post it in the DM's Questions thread. Don't worry about bothering me, I'm not easily bothered
Well I'm sure I'll need to post a lot more in here briefly but for now I'm off for a very large cup of tea.