Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 731
ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign ifdesign
Build-A-Village

Goal:
I want to create a system that allows the PCs to build upon and expand a village. I am writing an adventure that will include both standard roleplay and combat, but also the reconstruction of the PCs hometown. I am in the process of creating a simple system for the PCs to accomplish this task and am looking for comments and feedback.

Why not use an Existing System:
The existing systems I've found don't suit the purpose I'm looking for. I want the system to be a side-quest of sorts. I don't want it to be the primary focus of the adventure. The PCs should want to build the village with their rewards, but not have to devote 100% of their treasure to it. I also want it to encompass rewards and bonuses, both for the village and for the PCs.

The Vision:
The PCs will have significant decision-making power regarding what buildings to construct and where to put them. As the work is being completed, the PCs will leave to complete adventures in order to fund future construction. Upon the completion of buildings, certain bonuses will be awarded to the village, its inhabitants, and the PCs.

What it is so far
The table below is my initial thoughts for time, cost and people required to build. I didn't spend a lot of time working on it, and will continue to update it as days go on.

Basic Table:
StructureCost (gp)WoodStonePop BonusTime (days)LaborersSkilledRevenue/month (gp)Town Bonus PC BonusTown Aspect Bonus
Homes lv 15000020 + 2d105  5  Wellbeing + 0.5
Homes lv 260010030 + 3d107  10   
Homes Lv 370020540 + 4d1010  25  Wellbeing + 0.5
Homes Lv 4800301050 + 5d1012  50   
Homes Lv 51000502060 + 6d1025  100  Wellbeing + 1

Lumbermill Lv 1200000    50 + 5d10 Lumber   
Lumbermill Lv 22500100    75 + 7d10 Lumber   
Lumbermill Lv 330002010    100 + 10d10 Lumber   
Lumbermill Lv 440005025    250 + 15d10 Lumber   
Lumbermill Lv 5500010050    500 + 20d10 Lumber   

Quarry Lv 1200000    50 + 5d10 Stone   
Quarry Lv 22500010    75 + 7d10 Stone   
Quarry Lv 330001020    100 + 10d10 Stone   
Quarry Lv 440002550    250 + 15d10 Stone   
Quarry Lv 5500050100    500 + 20d10 Stone   

Farm Lv 110000    10 + 5d3 Grain   
Farm Lv 220000    20 + 10d3 Grain   
Farm Lv 330000    30 + 15d3 Grain   
Farm Lv 440000    40 + 20d3 Grain   
Farm Lv 550000    50 + 25d3 Grain   

The Numbers
I will keep track of Resources, Population, Aspects and Prosperity. For now, I'm borrowing the Aspects from Sims Mideval, as they are a simple easy starting off point. The aspects are Well-Being, Security, Culture, Knowledge. Buildings will have an Aspect Benefit as well as a Prosperity Score. This will help give a snapshot of the growth of the village.

What I'm looking for?
I'm open to any suggestions. I'm especially looking for buildings that would be good to add to the list.

Last edited by ifdesign; 06-04-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Outer Deity

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3148
WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT
Take lessons from Sid Meir's Civilization 5, it's the best system around for progression of socio-economics.

Look at all the building options, tech available and also make sure not to forget magic and arcane (because you'll add in things like wizard towers and such).

Also, remember that things like watchtowers aren't 0 revenue, they are like -50 (paying guards, upkeep on stone, etc.). Forget things like that and it will all grow out of control too quickly.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
What range of levels is this going to be built over? Bear in mind what fabricate, true creation, wall of stone, the ability to animate an army or tireless servants who can work day and night etc etc will do to this once you're past about fifth level. As it is, it's got a very 'computer gamey' look to it. You can't build a forge and start turning out metal things - you need a blacksmith, which is much harder to come by. Taverns will only generate revenue if there are people passing through regularly. Wells can't be dug anywhere, and will need to be sunk right into an aquifer if you plan to supply water for a growing community - and even that's a stretch because of the enormous effort of rising the water up. There's a reason you won't find many pre-modern cities that don't have a river or lake.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Outer Deity

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosaccountant View Post
What range of levels is this going to be built over? Bear in mind what fabricate, true creation, wall of stone, the ability to animate an army or tireless servants who can work day and night etc etc will do to this once you're past about fifth level. As it is, it's got a very 'computer gamey' look to it. You can't build a forge and start turning out metal things - you need a blacksmith, which is much harder to come by. Taverns will only generate revenue if there are people passing through regularly. Wells can't be dug anywhere, and will need to be sunk right into an aquifer if you plan to supply water for a growing community - and even that's a stretch because of the enormous effort of rising the water up. There's a reason you won't find many pre-modern cities that don't have a river or lake.
These are all good points but I think ifdesign is specifically looking for something computer gamey, otherwise he'd ditch the idea of a system and RP each development, hence why I suggested using civ V as a model.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wolt is right. I want to include this as a part of the adventure campaign. I think that if I'm not careful the "build-a-village" part of the campaign could take it over. I don't really want that to be the case, so I think the computer game setup is pretty solid. I'll check out civilizations 5 and update this table accordingly.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
One Man, One Vote

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2003
GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark
You might want to check out Pathfinder's Kingmaker Adventure Path. They basically have a set of kingdom building rules that you might want to co-opt for your game. Here is a summary that I found online. With some modification, it can be used for a single village, or you may decide to eventually expand the scope of the campaign to them running a kingdom (eventually).

Then run with us...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Walkin' on Watermellons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4487
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
There were threads on the old WotC boards called "The Build a City Thread" and it had a version 2 and 3 as well. They were community "month by month" turns of what happened in a city; cooperative writing, nobody could write the same month twice in a row, and it was supposed to be a very normal city with PC-style things only happening 2-3 months of the year. I've worked on a spinoff for it; here's the open material (Ie, everything but the encounter charts), but mine is based on heavy activity and lots of 1 week quests and lots and lots of handwavium. This might give you some ideas, and the WotC build a city threads will definitely give you some ideas.

Events chart:
Each month, players would have to deal with 0-4 events, with a weighting on the rolls to 2 events. 1 event and 3 events would be slightly less likely, with 0 and 4 events very rare.

Last edited by CE2JRH; 04-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wow! That is extremely extensive. I'm going to look into that more in depth. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Silent, but Deadly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5021
Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger Silent Tiger
There was also a 3.0 splatbook that had rules for making a base for the characters called the Stronghold Builder's guidebook. You might be able to use some stuff from that or modify things in there to fit your campaign. I didn't see you mention what rules system you were using.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Unbutu
It's extremely interesting ! I would love to participate in a campaign where this side quest takes importance. It could give a great sense of progression.

I would suggest making objectives that are obvious late game objectives, and hint as to how to get the requirements for it. Want your village to host... a bard's school ? Well, you need yourself to be a renowned bard + you need this big of a town to draw people to the school, ect. And the bonus is x (a retainer-ish feature ? , a bonus to performance from stealing ideas ? , whatever) As a player, it would look for those, in order to decide my character's long term goals.

Good luck with this ! I'll keep an eye on progress :-)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Outer Deity

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbutu View Post
It's extremely interesting ! I would love to participate in a campaign where this side quest takes importance. It could give a great sense of progression.

I would suggest making objectives that are obvious late game objectives, and hint as to how to get the requirements for it. Want your village to host... a bard's school ? Well, you need yourself to be a renowned bard + you need this big of a town to draw people to the school, ect. And the bonus is x (a retainer-ish feature ? , a bonus to performance from stealing ideas ? , whatever) As a player, it would look for those, in order to decide my character's long term goals.

Good luck with this ! I'll keep an eye on progress :-)
You'd probably really enjoy playing the civilization games. I highly suggest them to you.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16059
RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption
Ubuntu, what you're describing is a lot like the Kingmaker adventure path, where you do your adventuring to protect the city you're founding. It uses a slightly different set of rules from the above,
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Based on your suggestions I started working on a new system. I'm really grateful for the pointers, and will continue to update the table and system as it grows. I'll let you know when I have a rough-draft version of the system available for critiquing. Thank you all so much!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 186
Sevestron Sevestron
Building suggestions:

Defences:

Walls (Palisade -> Stockade -> Stone wall)
Towers (Wood -> Square Stone -> Round Stone)
Fortresses (Holdfast -> Motte and bailey -> Stone Keep -> Castle)

Administrative buildings: (Village Hall -> Town Hall -> City Hall)
Secondary production: (Blacksmith, carpenter, mason)
Pub/Inn (obviously)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Rafael

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 60
Le Noir Faineant
*Subscribing, commenting later, when I have more time to type.*

Last edited by Le Noir Faineant; 05-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.