Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2737
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
Pirate of the Archipelago [Homebrew Core Class]

I plan to allow use of the "Tome of Battle" for my campaign; as such, there will be a "3.75" to the power scale. I love Tome of Battle to death, but obviously it is designed around purely melee combat.

In my campaign, I plan to have a fair amount of boat-based combat: fighting opponents in the water, fighting opponents on other boats, fighting opponents on shore, fighting opponents high on cliffs. Although I've made some options available for people to make more use of their melee abilities (see: Parkour, Campaign Trait), at the end of the day I feel like I want someone capable of engaging in ranged combat some times, and melee combat other times.

On the whole, the campaign is going to have a solo-centric atmosphere, so versatile classes will be favored, or classes that favor survival aspects.

I also saw the Gunslinger option in Pathfinder, which I find fascinating. However, I don't want someone rolling a ranged-centric fighter in campaign that will have more than its fair share of melee as well.

So one image of a hero for this campaign is: The Sword & Gun swashbuckler; sword (Rapier?) in one hand, Gun (Pistol) in the other.

The following class I designed with the following considerations:

-Damage progression like a monk (but ranged, so scaled down one die size).
-Mixture of Swordsage melee abilities and the addition of modified swordsage abilities available for a ranged weapon.
-Some mechanics from the Pathfinder Gunslinger class, mixed with the Pistoleteer offshoot.
-Ranger-related dual-wielding potential.
-Rogue-related maneuverability.

Balance:
-On the whole, the class should have more versatility in damage options than most of the core fighter classes: fighter, ranger, rogue.
-However, on the whole, less versatility in maneuvers and abilities than a standard swordsage.
-The option for the player to focus on their sword (allowing several swordsage-centric martial adept abilities)
-The additional option for the player to focus on their gun (a new subset of Pirate and/or Gun-centered maneuvers)

Concerns:
-The "Grit and Deed" system of the Pathfinder Gunslinger seemed remarkably shallow once I really looked it over . . .
-To combat this, I allowed the "Grit" system to directly contribute to additional maneuvers after a certain level.
-However, now I wonder if I should convert the remaining "Deed" options into Maneuvers for more simplicity in the class design.
-Although, on the whole, I wanted to refrain from forcing players to own Tome of Battle to play this class, to allow a wider range of options I eventually just went with several groups of maneuvers from that resource.

Flavor:
-Guns in this world are considered rare; not so rare no one has ever heard or seen one, but enough so that you cannot simply walk into a store and buy one or have it repaired.

The class in its rough draft form follows in the next post.

Last edited by Krazy; 04-29-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2737
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
Pirate of the Archipelago
A Homebrew World of Manumit Core Class

Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8
Skills at First Level: (6+Int)x4
Skills at additional levels: 6+Int

Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Sailing) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Pirates are proficient with light and medium armor and with bucklers but with no other shields.

Pirates are proficient with simple weapons, guns, the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, short sword, trident, scimitar, and with nets.

Level BAB Fort S. Ref S. Will S. Special Pistol Damage Maneuvers Known Maneuvers/Day Stances Known
11 2 2 0 Pistol; Deeds; Grit d4 1 1 1
22 3 3 0 Combat Style; Pistol Engineering d4 2 1 1
33 3 3 1 Sneak Attack +d6; One-handed Reloading d4 3 1 1
44 4 4 1 Evasion ; Pirate Gun; Deeds d6 3 2 1
55 4 4 1 Uncanny Dodge d6 4 2 2
66/1 5 5 2 Rapid Reload d6 5 2 2
77/2 5 5 2 Point Blank Shot d6 5 3 2
88/3 6 6 2 Deeds d8 6 3 2
99/4 6 6 3 Sneak Attack 2d6 d8 6 4 2
1010/5 7 7 3 Crippling Strike ; Pirate Gun d8 6 4 3
1111/6/1 7 7 3 Marksman Aiming d8 7 4 3
1212/7/2 8 8 4 Deeds d10 7 5 3
1313/8/3 8 8 4 Improved Gun d10 8 5 3
1414/9/4 9 9 5 Craft Wondrous Item: Cannon d10 8 6 3
1515/10/5 9 9 5 Sneak Attack 3d6 d10 8 6 4
1616/11/6/1 10 10 5 Deeds 2d6 9 6 4
1717/12/7/2 10 10 5 Pirate Knowledge 2d6 9 7 4
1818/13/8/3 11 11 6 Craft Trap 2d6 10 7 4
1919/14/9/4 11 11 6 Shipbonded 2d6 10 8 4
2020/15/10/5 12 12 6 Deeds 2d8 10 8 5

Class Features
Pistol
Somehow. . . you came across a pistol. Either: You or someone you know made it, you stole it from someone, you won it from someone in a gambling match, you found it in some long-abandoned place, or something else. It is a rare item, although not wholly unheard of. Over time you have collected enough of the mystical black powder and have grown accustomed to using it.

The pistol can only be used well in your hands. . . all else would regard it as a broken device (-2 to attack and damage rolls from the equivalent of your level 1 version of the weapon).

It begins play with the following characteristics: Critical multiplier of x3, 20 ft. range (5 ft. increment), 1 round in the chamber, it weighs 4 lbs, and is a piercing object.

For the equivalent of 1 GP, and a furnace, you can create bullets with the Craft (Pistol) skill at the rate of 5/hour if taking 10 for a total of less than 15. With 15 in Craft (Pistol) you can produce 10/hour, and with 20 total rolling in Craft (Pistol) you can produce 20/hour.

Misfire
Rolling a natural 1 with your pistol attack roll can result in a misfire even if it is not a critical failure. Make a misfire roll separate from your critical fail confirmation, if one is in effect. Roll a d20; 1-9 is a misfire, 10-20 is an automatic miss.

A misfire with your pistol results in it becoming misaligned ("Broken"), you suffer a -2 on attack and damage rolls with it until it is fixed.

It can be fixed via Quick Clear Deed, or by repairing it (DC10) with a Craft: Pistol check that takes 1 minute and requires no exceptional tools.

Firing from your pistol does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Deeds
Based on the Pathfinder version of Gunslinger
Pirates spend grit points to accomplish deeds. Most deeds grant the pirate some momentary bonus or effect, but there are some that provide longerlasting effects. Some deeds stay in effect as long as a pirate has at least 1 grit point. The following is the list of base pirate deeds. A pirate can only perform deeds of her level or lower. Unless otherwise noted, a deed can be performed multiple successive times, as long as any appropriate grit is spent to perform the deed.

Quick Clear (Ex): At 1st level, as a standard action, a pirate can remove the broken condition from a single firearm she is currently wielding, as long as that condition was gained by a firearm misfire. This deed costs 1 grit point to perform.

Dive for Cover (Ex): At 1st level, when a creature succeeds in a ranged attack against the pirate, she can drop prone as an immediate action, reducing the damage sustained by 2 (and being prone, thereafter having a +4 bonus to AC). She applies the bonus retroactively to the triggering attack.

Grit
Based on the Pathfinder version of Gunslinger
Grit is a fluctuating measure of a pirate’s ability to perform amazing actions in combat. At the start of each day, a pirate gains a number of grit points equal to her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). Her grit goes up or down throughout the day, but usually cannot go higher than her Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), though some feats and magic items may affect this maximum. A pirate spends grit to accomplish deeds (see below), and regains grit in the following ways.

Critical Hit with a Firearm: Each time the pirate confirms a critical hit with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, she regains 1 grit point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or on a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the pirate’s character level does not restore grit.

Killing Blow with a Firearm: When the pirate reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, she regains 1 grit point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the pirate’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any grit.

Combat Style
If fighting with a light or martial weapon in your main hand, you can hold and fire the pistol in your off-hand as though you have the feat Two-Weapon Fighting.

Pistol Engineering
You continue to tinker and adjust your pistol, improving its effectiveness. The number of bullets you can store in your pistol becomes equal to your class level. The range increment of your pistol increases 5 ft. every 2 levels (25 ft. at 2nd level, 30 ft. at 4th level, etc.).

At level 2, your pistol is considered masterwork and receives a +1 bonus to attack rolls. It can be enchanted after this for the costs normally associated with enchanting a ranged weapon.

Sneak Attack
Pirates are used to stabbing each other in the back. At third level, you can perform sneak attacks as per the rogue ability for d6 damage. Every 6 levels this increases d6; 2d6 at 9th level, 3d6 at 15th level.

One-handed Reloading
At third level you can reload your gun without needing two hands free.

Evasion
At 4th level you gain the Evasion feat as per the rogue ability.

Pirate Gun
If the Pistol is not magical at this point, it is considered magical for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At 10th level, the gun can be considered an alignment identical to the wielder's for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Uncanny Dodge
At 5th level you gain the feat Uncanny Dodge as per the rogue ability.

Rapid Reload
At level 6 you gain the feat Rapid Reload for your pistol.

Point Blank Shot
At level 7 you gain the feat Point Blank Shot for your pistol.

Crippling Strike
At level 10, your sneak attacks weaken the opponent. When dealing a sneak attack, you can additionally deal 2 points of strength damage.

Marksman Aiming
At level 11, you add your dexterity modifier to damage rolls with your gun.

Improved Gun
At level 12, the pistol cannot misfire.

Craft Wondrous Item: Cannon
You can craft cannons to fire from the bow of your ship. (Item strength to be determined later zzz).

Pirate Knowledge
As per the Bardic ability Bardic Knowledge.

Craft Trap
You gain the ability to craft traps for any pirate horde you may have accumulated over your journeys (as per another feat or mechanics TBA?)

Shipbonded
Choose one ship. You know the direction of your ship as a supernatural ability no matter where it is in relation to where you are.

Maneuvers and Stances
Pirates have access to maneuvers and stances as per a Swordsage from the Tome of Battle for the following schools: Desert Wind (here: Island Wind), Devoted Spirit, and Shadow Hand. These abilities follow the rules as per the Tome of Battle (IE, can only be performed with a melee weapon). Additionally, they have access to another school: Archipelago Gunslinger. Gunslinger abilities can be performed with their pistol.

Stances: Archipelago Gunslinger
Reminders: You may enter a stance as a free action.

You may only be in one stance at a time.
Req. Pirate 1:
Pirate Parkour -- You may take a 10 on jump and climb checks in any setting with ropes or rope-like objects, even if threatened.
Drunken Pirate Stance -- When fighting defensively, you only take half the penalty to your attack swing that you normally take. You can only maintain this stance if you have consumed alcohol in the past two hours.

Req. Pirate 5:
Drunken Pirate Dance -- As per the Stone Heart stance Roots of the Mountain. You can only maintain this stance if you have consumed alcohol in the past two hours.

Req. Pirate 10:
Pirate Movement -- As per the Setting Sun stance Shifting Defense.

Req. Pirate 15:
Captain's Leadership -- As per the White Raven stance Swarm Tactics.

Req. Pirate 20:
Gritty Pirate Stance -- All Deeds require one fewer grit; deeds that would require 0 grit this way can be performed so long as the pirate has one grit.

Maneuvers - Archipelago Gunslinger

Every 4 levels, starting at 4th, you may replace one Maneuver for another, effectively replacing the old maneuver.

Last edited by Krazy; 04-29-2012 at 11:00 PM.