twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 290
Zin Zin Zin
Ahh lets see, my very first character was a monk named Koli (very bad choice for a newbie like me at the time)

Although I had this epic critical against a goblin minion (It was a triple hit combo that ended with neck breaker!!!) I kinda bit the bullet and got owned by their boss...And this is when I was lv1...and you know how bad monks are at lv1....or maybe I just didn't use the right strategy.

Anyway I got owned, bad
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Epsilon7
My first character was a Dwarven Fighter/Mage.

Good stats, but weird character. I kept making him to random stuff, because he was a total loony.

Edit: Also, I just remembered: it wasn't just that. Secretly, I was trying to get him killed, so that I could make a different character. One that would be more suitable for the political air-based campaign we were on.

Last edited by Epsilon7; 03-16-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Friendship

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19068
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
First character I ever made was an elf I called Retton. This was back in the days of the blue and red boxed sets. I can remember some of the module names such "Keep on the Borderlands", "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh" and, "Isle of Dread."
---
First 2nd edition character I made was a wizard. I was the new guy in the group, everyone else had been in a campaigns together and they'd just started playing 2e. I played my wizard as brand new to the world of adventuring, because he was 1st level, straight up out of wizard school. After defeating a large number of orcs or some similar creatures, we went through the loot and the only thing usable by a wizard was...a scroll with 1 use of Dancing Lights.

I spent the rest of the game session having my character go and on about how fantastic it was that we were adventurers that could gain such powerful magic. No one else seemed impressed, I think it was because they figured if we played long enough, we'd get vorpal swords and a staff of power.

All these years later, currently in a pathfinder game with my tabletop group, I make sure to use Dancing Lights when I can, and extol the virtues of what is clearly one of the most powerful spells ever.
---
First 3e character was a cleric. He couldn't hit anything with his mace. Ever. Most damage he ever did, or a least the most memorable damage, was when a botched ride check led to him (and his plate mail) launching off his horse and onto somebdoy. Not the intended way of entering a combat, not at all.
---
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Dodgy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3360
GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM GLM
Blue box also- probably around 1979. Some run of the mill dwarven fighter, name lost to time. That's all I played for my first year or so. First AD&D character was a thief who got busted for pickocketing and lost his right hand as punishment. Luckily he was left-handed.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 AM
Outer Deity

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3165
WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT WoLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
If you're like me, your first character holds a special place in your heart. Did they die heroically during their very first adventure? Did they retire as veterans of the war that decided the fate of the world? One of my first D&D characters was Stormhammer who managed to make it past 20th level. As I was new at the time, Stormhammer had plenty of mishaps, but all were fun and memorable moments. I remember trying to kick in the front door of a dungeon that was hinged to open outwards. I also remember hiding from a red dragon in a forest, only to be roasted alive as the dragon reigned fire down on everything in sight. I had to get ressurected after that one. Unfortunately, his character sheet was lost to the annals of time (or the messy room of a college student). I would do anything to get it back. Anyways, I would love to hear about your very first character. Did they die? Did they become a legend?
My first Character was Arid Von Audrite. My GM was terrible at just about everything, but i didn't care, I loved playing. The character went on to become an ultimate deity of absolute power, mainly because my GM was terrible and frequently did things without thinking them through.

The character itself was also garbage because I was 11 or 12 at the time and thought that playing a Mary Sue was an amazing idea! *le sigh*

The character was originally made with 1st ed and shifted to 2nd ed about half way into his career.

The important part is though...

Many years later I remade the character for a one shot to be played on a week long vacation gaming bender that was run by a friend of mine. The system was Palladium fantasy and I was like 15 at the time, so I gave him some Vampire Hunter D likeness this time around, though the character ended up playing drastically different personality wise.

The game was amazing and was one of the most of fun and original things I had played. I liked it so much that myself and others have since GMed it, and it now has it's own wiki I maintain that is linked in my signature.

The world itself is massively fun for me, and the remake of the character is still my favorite (though I have several close seconds).

To this day I still run active games for this setting (it's my favorite fantasy setting by far) but now I use GURPS 4e instead of Palladium.

Lord Arid Von Audrite

He ended up becoming a ridiculously over powered wizard and is now an NPC of mythical proportions and a legend in his country of origin.

I wish I could tell the tale of the character but the truth is, I have in that wiki, and it's not at all short.

Technically he's still out there fighting the unseen evils, but he's very much removed from the typical world so as to make sure moderns PCs have a chance to shine. It's the same logic that applies to why Superman isn't allowed in Gotham.

Last edited by WoLT; 04-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM
One Man, One Vote

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2008
GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark GrazztTheDark
Mine was the very definition of trying too hard to be edgy. It was 1st Edition. I had just checked out all the supplemental materials, and had become fascinated by the concept of "Lawful Evil". So I made a half-orc cleric/assassin (remember, this was AD&D so only half-orcs could become that particular combination) who worshiped Asmodeus. He didn't last very long (thankfully, in hindsight) since the DM got 3rd edition books soon after that and I made a more normal character when we started on 3rd (gnome illusionist, I believe).

Then run with us...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dantelion
My first character was an Elf Cleric named Vahn Ferrer, Ferrer of course being taken from the tennis player David Ferrer though I have no idea why. He was quite the unlucky soul. Almost dying in his very first dungeon, being made a barricade for a door only to be trampled on, even being given a Cursed Mace +1 and having his connection with his deity cut. Oh that was fun, fighting a succubus and her rather ridiculous bodyguard without healing or Good Aligned spells.

He never made it through the rest of the campaign, though only because the school year had ended and it was time to return home.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 224
c12sprint c12sprint c12sprint
My very first character came from a d10 system for the 7th Sea rpg. I played a very Robin-Hood-esque youth (whose name escapes me at the moment). He was very much a woodland type of person from the kingdom of Avalon which was based on Great Britain. I was only 14 and very new to gaming. I was very careful to try not to stand out, but the story teller of that group decided I needed a push into the cold water of roleplaying.

My character was entrusted by the group to deliver a very important parcel to an unknown person in a "house of pleasure." No big deal right?

...wrong!

Storyteller: You walk into the brothel. It's very busy tonight with many well-to-do patrons who turn their nose up at you. Hoping to rid you quickly the matron of the house rushes over to try to shoo you out the door."

Me: I'm looking for a man...I have a package for him.

The table erupted in laughter and once I realized what I had said the ice was broken. This tale is still told at the local gaming store where I will apparently go down in infamy.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 138
Ninjato Ninjato
Elf Paladin...I totally didn't know how to make a good character at all. Kept putting the skill points in random skills, got weird feats that didn't help, then some goblins shot him with crossbows and he died.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 488
aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther
LN Elven Diviner, was all about learning and was arrogant as hell. Once just waltzed into an obviously trapped room that the rest of the party avoided. Amazed he didn't die. My tactics were worthless and the party disliked him.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 28
Tuzon Thume
Tuzon Thume

My older sister's friend Jonathon helped me make my first character in the summer of 1979. I was reading Karl Edward Wagner at the time as well as Robert E. Howard, Tolkein, Burroughs & most certainly Robert Aspirin's Thieves World books. I made me a megalomaniac Bilbo Baggins; 3d6 in order rolled for a 2e campaign we never started. A year later Tuzon & I joined a game with two friends. They decided the halfling thief was doomed from the start and allowed me to also play a Fafhrd for my Grey Mouser. Kuralt, a half-Ogre fighter was Tuzon's bodyguard & business partner in The City State of the Invincible Overlord . Tuzon survives to this day in a 4th edition incarnation in Zeppo007's solo game and has never been below 1hp.[he's at your mercy Zeppo007] Tuzon was always been at the forefront of cash gathering; his favorite mark is the payroll of a despotic rulers' military. Occasionally he has become a hero of the indigent & helpless though he always expects a favor in exchange for his generosity. He has also dabbled in assassination, unafraid to use poisons to get the job done.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
cavalier973
My first character....I never even got to play him. He was a paladin (I can't remember his name, but he had a shield named "Dexter" and a sword named "Sinister"). A guy at school who was into D&D rolled him up and sort of explained what everything meant. He emphasized that the paladin needed a high CHA so that he could get lots of followers. He insisted that the character's sword had been stripped off a dead body (I wanted it to be an heirloom). When my mom found out, she freaked, and it would be awhile before I got interested enough again to actually purchase the game.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 AM
CE- cuddly evil

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1982
Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor Hextor
Barivus "The Fearless" Verilius: tiefling fighter, worshiper of Hextor, murderer, thief, villain.

He was my first character, it was college, and I got to be a pirate. My back story was epic. Single mother parent, never knew his roaming, warlord, half-demon father. He had a troubled youth and left home to find his dad. I started at level seven, and died twice. The first death was battling a destrachan. I think it was a destrachan. The second death was punishment for harrassing the DM to allow me to purchase a lemur. He had killed the first one to punish my poor choices. I had harrassed him for the first one as well. I never got a second one. I was raised after both deaths, but the game became hard to schedule the following semester and eventually the DM gave up working trying to get sessions in after falling to less than every other week.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dock
My first character was a lvl 1 human fighter. With a party of adventurers and 3 members of the town guard we were given the task to hunt down an Ankheg. Our plan was to trap it and torch it, but when we torched it, the net burnt as well. High up in the trees we gave him everything we've got, but soon we ran out of oil flasks and only half the party had ranged weapons. I threw my spear, missed and realized it was my only weapon. So I jumped down from my safe place in the tree and took my spear from the ground to stab it. I missed, but the ankheg didn't, killing me with a single bite. Two of the guards and 2 other partymembers died in the same encounter because nobody followed the initial plan. One of those who survived was the bait to lure the ankheg in our trap. We all learned a couple of valuable lessons that day.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
djmor
My first character... Drumm the Dwarf. He was a fighter, and none too bright. He forgot to let go of the cask of burning oil when tossing it at enemies.