Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > Game Rules > D&D Class Discussions
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1096
Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne Mnemnosyne
Possibly, but I seriously doubt that I would want to be tromping all over the wilderness adventuring all the time. The downtime as an artificer would probably be a relaxing break from other things. Besides, artificers don't actually have all that downtime - once an artificer gets their support stuff set up, they don't have to personally make much of anything. With a dedicated wright working, you can't personally work on an item yourself - you're still bound by the restriction of crafting only one item at a time.

So a high level artificer basically gets to do one hour of work for each item she makes (the required 1 hour setup time for the dedicated wright to take over) and then can spend the remainder of the construction time of the magical item as she pleases. There's nothing I can think of off-hand an artificer can't do, while still engaging in continuous production of magical items, for either use or sale.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm really not that cool.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4265
loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock loki_ragnarock
Thrallherd.

These people follow my every whim. Not because of loyalty. Not because of duty. Not because of ideology.

Because they're mine.
-#577 From The Canonical List of Famous Last Words
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Welcome to the Space Jam

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 597
godofallbears godofallbears godofallbears godofallbears godofallbears godofallbears
Summoner from pathfinder. With a humanoid eidolon. Even IF this is 1st level only.

Need to go grocery shopping, and need someone to hold the groceries while you fumble for the key? Eidolon.
Need a bodyguard? Eidolon.
Need a driver? Eidolon.
Need a 2nd player for that co-op game? Eidolon.
Need a date to the prom? Eidolon.

Plus you get spells. Daze can stunlock basically everything in real life as your Eidolon wails on it, Message makes it really easy to...well, pass a message, Mending would be the **** for repairing things, Light removes the need to fear the darkness, Expeditious Retreat will get you pretty much anywhere in record time even without a car, and Feather Fall makes it SO EASY to get around. A drop in your way? Feather Fall. The plane going down? Smash your way out and Feather Fall.

Oh yeah, and the X's Y spells. Bull's Strength. You are now the strongest man in the gym. Fox's Cunning. You are now a Mensa level genuis. Cat's Grace. Shell game takes a whole new meaning. Eagle's Splendor. Who needs date rape?

Last edited by godofallbears; 04-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
YFNW

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7706
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
I think my next character will be a summoner whose eidolon is his "best friend".
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 488
aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther aivanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_ragnarock View Post
Thrallherd.

These people follow my every whim. Not because of loyalty. Not because of duty. Not because of ideology.

Because they're mine.
Once saw a build or at least a suggestion of Thrallherd with an army of Suicide bombers.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
De Shmot-Guy Vizzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4217
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosaccountant View Post
The trouble with Artificer is the amount of time it takes to use your main shtick. At high levels, you're looking at giving yourself a full-time job to make the weapons, armour and spell-items you need, let alone the time to make your Tomes etc. It's fine in a game, where if you spend two months crafting it's two minutes of game time. If I'm suddenly transported to a fantastic world and given strange powers, I'm not about to saddle myself with a nine to five job.

This is worth noting, as it's the only time I can recall disagreeing with chaosaccountant. Probably the first thing I'd do if transported into some dnd setting (always assuming there isn't an obvious mainquest hanging around my neck) is find a blacksmith or a bookbinder for an apprenticeship. Considering the nature of these worlds, blacksmith is probably safer. The 9-5 sounds great...steady employment, fairly safe, and some off-time to spend figuring out what the heck just happened and where you are. Besides, I'd go nuts without some work I'm invested in, and roaming about slaughtering half-sentient creatures is not the job for me. Artificer would be a nice way to develop that career and also not waste the opportunity for magic. Then maybe save some money, gear up and wander off to the next city!

Mebbe ve gets lucky?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 517
Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer
If there is any class I would love to play as, it would be the Factotum from Dungeonscape. Who wouldn't want to be the Indiana Jones of the DnD universe?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Beardling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21
Holy Rage
Paladin. You never have to worry about choices, you are happy since you hold absolute truth (or so you think) and you never fall sick. Peace of mind, I say!
A Personal Request: I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my writing and to weed out bad habits. If there's something you like or don't like about my writing, please tell me. Constructive criticism is valuable to me. All credit to Feirnon for inspiring this.

Last edited by Holy Rage; 05-30-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Rage View Post
Paladin. You always have to worry about choices, since any given misstep could potentially lead you down the path to be a fighter without feats, but until you screw it up you never fall sick. Peace of mind, I say!
There, fixed that for you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Beardling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21
Holy Rage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aivanther View Post
There, fixed that for you.
My paladin would think: Sometimes, it's better to see the cup half full, rather than half empty! Got enough stress as it is!
A Personal Request: I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my writing and to weed out bad habits. If there's something you like or don't like about my writing, please tell me. Constructive criticism is valuable to me. All credit to Feirnon for inspiring this.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Applejack is Best Pony

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 517
Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer Cancer
In defense of the Paladin, all it's good for is charging on a mount when using only Core rules. Thus making the choices readily obvious.

However this funnels the Paladin into a specialized roll, making him almost useless in comparison to a fighter of equivalent level who has more versatility (Tripping, sundering, bull rushing.)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I *like* the paladin, but it's just...gimped. With the rules written the way they are, you have serious risk of falling in many campaigns if you don't have a generous DM. Also, what Cancer said, with the exception that Smite is fun, but using it and spells means serious MAD!

Oh, and Artificer boredom is solved around level 4: Craft a Dedicated wright. Then all you need is to make a successful UMD check, then go about you merry way as the homonculus finishes it all up
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Stegosaurus
I think the most interesting might be barbarian. I imagine that blend of weirdness and temper would create plenty of interesting situations.

Because spellcasting allows you to do otherwise impossible things, it would be really cool to be one of those instead. I think bard would be the best. You don't have the stigmas of sorcerers and wizards, and you aren't bound to a code like most of the divine casters. Still, you can heal yourself the next time you need it, and you can magical fascinate people with music. Not to mention the skills.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Rahllis30
Cleric is the best class

It is my humble opinion that clerics are truly the best class out there. They were so underpowered in previous editions, and in 4e, they finally get some love and are balanced out with the other classes. Hooray for clerics!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 703
Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx Gavinfoxx
Uh. Rahliss... in 3e and 3.5e, they are in a six way tie for most powerful base class in the entire game... you DID know that, didn't you? "CoDzilla" or "Clericzilla" is a term for a reason...

Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 06-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.