Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4744
Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus Cygnus
Atonement

It was cold... There was nothing but empty, black coldness... All around him, inside of him, everything... cold. He had a vague feeling of weariness, as though he should just sleep for a moment and relax. He was unable to do so though, as he was continuously pulled back to the cold, unable to leave the area behind as much as he may try. Was he there for a few seconds, hours, weeks, or years? He couldn't tell. If this was to be his fate, then could he really do anything to fight it...?

The man awoke with a start, coughing violently and covering his mouth, looking at the blood on the palm of his hand in shock. He surveyed his surroundings, as well as the condition of his body. He was laying in a burning building, the room almost entirely collapsed around him, without a shred of clothes on his body. There were no burn marks, even though the fire licked across his skin, coiling around his body and disappearing entirely. He stood up shakily, stumbling away from the tragic scene, unable to think of how, or why he had gotten here.

It suddenly struck him, a feeling in the bottom of his stomach. It was guilt, the guilt that comes with knowing you've hurt those close to you. His foot caught on a fallen ceiling fan, sending him stumbling forward, falling off of the building to the streets below. He closed his eyes, knowing that this was what he deserved... Looking down at his feet, he collapsed to his knees, crying uncontrollably. He couldn't go through with it... he hadn't been strong enough.

Standing back up shakily, he walked down a back alley, a news crew quickly making their way to the area that the falling man should have landed. He was long gone by the time they got there. Something was different about him, something he couldn't explain. His body was burning up from the inside out, his mind sluggish, as though he were suffering from a high fever. He braced himself against a wall as he began to cough again, his blood splashing onto the cement beneath him. This was wrong, something was happening to him, something bad. He clutched at his heart as it suddenly exploded with pain, his eyes closed tight in agony. This couldn't be how it ended, he had to do something to make up for his actions, something that would allow him to die in peace.

The man clawed his way further down the alley, watching somebody running past him with a knife and a small bag of... drugs? It didn't matter... he had seen the red on his clothes and knife. He frantically crawled to where the person had come from, finding a young woman bleeding out into the street. He looked at the damage her body had sustained, placing his hands quickly on her stomach and chest, using every last ounce of strength he had to heal her.

It was then that the last fail safe was enacted. His DNA began to break down strand by strand without the nanites in his system to hold back the virus he had been infected with. He put everything into healing the woman, his powers fizzling out after a few moments. He collapsed on the ground next to the woman, his body convulsing as everything shut down. He could feel his powers fighting the breakdown, trying to keep him alive, but he wasn't sure he wanted to at this point...

He awoke the next day in a hospital room, his body feeling as though it had just gone to hell and back... fitting. He looked around the room, seeing nobody but himself in it. He tried to leave... but his powers didn't work. Slowly removing the IV from his arm, detaching the heart monitor and all of the other things he was hooked up to, he stood up and walked out of the room, watching the hallways closely and grabbing a pair of scrubs from a laundry basket. With his new disguise, he walked out of the building unimpeded, making his way back to the alley that he had last been in before he blacked out. The woman's body was gone.

Despite everything he had done, he smiled. He walked away from the alley, making his way to the luxury apartment that his mother had bought for when she stayed in New York, something she rarely did now. Letting himself in, he walked into the bathroom and splashed his face with water, looking at his reflection closely. His eyes had returned to their lustrous green, and his hair had become brown again. Other than that, he was exactly the same as after the accident though... minus his powers. He suddenly felt feverish again, so he made his way to the bedroom, falling down onto the soft bed and drifting to sleep. His nightmares revolved entirely around his actions over the previous days... A nightmare he lived through for an entire day as his body finished rewriting its own DNA.

When he awoke, he groggily lifted his head off of the pillow, lifting it up and fluffing it a few times before putting it back down... then lifting it back up immediately. Why is there a woman's bustier here? As far as I know, nobody has been in this apartment for years... He wasn't sure whether he should feel sick for accidentally discovering a bustier that belonged to his mother, or confused if it belonged to some random woman. He set about the penthouse, combing through everything in an attempt to discern if somebody really had been there recently.
Dice
Dice Notice:
1d20+6 (4)+6 Total = 10
The Troll picks up Artemis, now encased in iron, and throws him at your cannons, just barely missing. You are now out of ammo. Alright Arty, into the cannon you go! Wait, what?!? You hit the troll and tear its throwing arm off... Irony, I love you so.

Last edited by Cygnus; 04-30-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5294
Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer
Scott found a dirty glass in the sink that must have been there for over a day since the orange juice remains inside of the glass were dry and there were some dirty clothes in the laundry area, all women's clothes. The hot tub was full of water and it appeared to have been used recently while the remotes for the different systems in the house were lying here and there. The towels had been used in the bathroom but there was no garbage in the trash cans, they were conspicuously empty.

As he finished combing the apartment, he heard noise at the front door a few seconds before it opened. Peering out from around a corner, Scott could see a woman in her early to mid-twenties wearing black leather and carrying a small bag. She didn't bother looking around and headed directly to the living room as she removed her leather jacket, revealing a bustier almost identical to the one in the bedroom. Flicking on the news, she sank into the corner of the couch and put her head back, looking like she was ready to take a nap.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott watched from the corner, trying to sneak over to a different part of the room after realizing he couldn't just teleport to it. He walked quietly over to where she had dropped her jacket, picking it up and walking back to a spot where he could keep an eye on her while he looked through the pockets. He remained there, giving her a wary once over and waiting for her to fall asleep.
Dice
Dice Stealth:
1d20+6 (4)+6 Total = 10
The Troll picks up Artemis, now encased in iron, and throws him at your cannons, just barely missing. You are now out of ammo. Alright Arty, into the cannon you go! Wait, what?!? You hit the troll and tear its throwing arm off... Irony, I love you so.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer Daygamer
"You can just put that in the closet if you want, I didn't leave anything in the pockets." The woman called out when Scott got back to where he was watching her. She didn't bother looking over to where he was and just repositioned herself in a more comfortable position. "Well there might be a receipt or some loose change but typically not. Which division are you with? Have you heard anything since Monday, it's been very quiet since then."
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Dice
Dice Bluff:
1d20+1 (2)+1 Total = 3

If this is a 4...
Scott silently cursed to himself as the woman started speaking to him, doing as she suggested and hanging the coat up in the closet. He walked back over to the couch and sat down next to her, his stance guarded and somewhat hostile. "Not so fast... Who are you and how do you know about this penthouse? While you're at it, what do you know about Monday? I've been laid up here for at least a day, nursing some injuries from a run in with... well, a super." Scott hoped that his confident tone would help him get past the woman's suspicions... he wasn't sure what he could do without his old powers.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The woman looked over at him and raised an eyebrow at him as she looked him up and down. "You're a little young to be part of the company, unless you have powers of your o..." She sat up and looked at him closer, "you're Scott Reynolds! what happened to the white hair? This is the last place I would have expected you to show up, unless you patched things up with daddy dearest."
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott shook his head slowly, his eyes never leaving hers. "No, I'm not Scott." He was able to see his face reflected in her eyes, the look of sadness and shame on his face surprising him... though not much. He turned a little more towards her on the couch, staring blankly at her, his eyes looking over every detail he could see as he tried to remember who she was. "Question for you then: if you think I'm Scott, why aren't you attacking me and bringing my head to Maximilian?"

Last edited by Cygnus; 05-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
She shrugged even as she got to her feet and walked over to the bar. "The nanites shut down late Monday so something is clearly going on and I suspect Sygma might have run into a few problems. I worked voluntarily for them with the hopes of being empowered but that doesn't look like it is going to happen if they are gone. Why turn you in for no reason, especially if Sygma is gone? I know, pretty mercenary but what did you think? Throwdown right here?"

She looked through the various bottles and began to open the cognac when she thought better of it. Instead she pulled out a sprite and mixed several different types of flavored vodkas into it. "You want anything while I'm up?"

Last edited by Daygamer; 05-01-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott relaxed somewhat, or at least he was less openly hostile to the woman. He stood up from the couch and walked over to the bar with her, taking a seat on one of the stools and shaking his head softly. "I'll have a sprite, but nothing else." Scott looked at the clock, then back to the woman, shaking his head softly. "So I take it you've had a long day, and well... I haven't eaten in two. Would you like to order some chinese food? At least then we can size each other up with full stomachs." Scott smiled slightly despite himself, as he couldn't shake the feeling that he should like this woman for something she did, or will do.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
"Glass?" She asked as she reached down and opened the refrigerator behind the bar and brought out a small bottle. She accomodated whatever he asked for and placed it in front of him before reaching over to a drawer and pulling out a stack of menus, quickly separating out three or four menus from Chinese Restaurants. "Sounds like an excellent idea, I'm starving." She pushes her drink to the side and takes a glass of water as she looks over whichever menu Scott chooses.

"So...were you jst trying to throw me off by saying you weren't Scott? You seemed kind of torn about that. I'm Sylvia by the way. She leaned down on the bar, seemingly oblivious to the fact that he was giving him a view down the top of her bustier.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott nodded lightly, accepting the glass with a small smile and setting it aside for now. "Thank you... Sylvia. I think I can tentatively say that it's nice to meet you, as you so far have yet to kill me." He picked up one of the menus at random, picking up a pen and marking a few items on it: dumplings, sesame chicken, and chow mein. "No, I wasn't just trying to throw you off by saying that I'm not Scott, I'm actually not him. In case you hadn't been informed, Maximilian is a cruel man who does whatever it takes to get what he wants... Since Scott wouldn't go along with his wishes, he made a clone of him... me. If that weren't bad enough, he decided to toy around with my brain, implanting thoughts and changing my personality so that I'd be the perfect little serial killer he always dreamed of bringing home from the hospital. Long story short, I was killed, and my body was somehow destroyed along with the nanites that were in my system. Now, I'm this: a man who has done terrible things because he had no choice, with no way of making up for it." Scott picked up the phone and ordered the food, handing it off to Sylvia when he was finished so she could order her own. "So you're a mercenary... do you at least have enough morality to recognize the fact that Max is a terrible person, who you should stay as far away from as possible?"
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sylvia took the phone and ordered quickly, "General Tso's chicken, extra hot. I mean extra spicy like I want to take a bite and have flames shooting back out as my throat literally burns from the peppers in it. Yes, spicy. Oh and white rice, not the fried rice. Yes, the penthouse. Thanks." She hung up and rolled her eyes, "Chances are they speak better english than either of us and just put on the accent when they work, a friend of mine in high school did that at her parents Chinese restaurant. nothing like the time I walked in with a crowd waiting to be seated and I heard her with the accent voice and she then greeted me in plain English."

"So you're the clone, nice. I heard about you and we met once. You were put in charge of some of the missions and got a real bad rep real fast. The time we met you were preoccupied with some girl that had sonic powers." She reached back and took a sip from her mixed drink and nodded approvingly before pushing it aside again. "I better wait to eat something before drinking that. I know Max is a real bastard, he doesn't hide it either but the pay is way more than anyone else is offering and I have to admit that gaining powers of my own is extremely tempting. I had nanites up until Monday but they seem to be either shut down or just gone. So who were you expecting to be here anyway? The way you acted you clearly didn't think anyone would be here."
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott couldn't help but smile, even going so far as to laugh quietly at Sylvia's story. "Interesting theory. I'm not really sure what to say about it, to be entirely honest." He shook his head softly, again looking her over thoroughly. "I'm sorry, I don't remember you." He blushed slightly, looking back into her eyes. "Uh, Sylvia... you're kind of exposed." He pointed down at her chest with one of his fingers, pointing out that she was nearly spilling out of her top. He coughed and averted his eyes for a while, finally looking back to her after a few minutes.

"Please, get out of working with him while you still can... it's not worth it Sylvia. Those nanites that he put into your body, he uses them to control you if you don't go along with his plans willingly. A feature he probably never told you about, the fact that they can be triggered to explode at a moment's notice..." His face clearly showed the concern he felt for her, as he was beginning to like this girl a lot. "I wasn't expecting anybody, you're right. I'm glad that it was you that was here though, rather than a team of assassins hired to kill me. The company is kind of nice."
Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sylvia looked down and just smiled but sat on a stool and leaned back so as to not embarrass him. "You know most guys would have enjoyed the view, I'm not sure whether I should be insulted or not." She gave him a wink as she said it and took a drink of water.

Her expression becomes more serious as he tells her about the nanites and she gives a sigh as he finishes. "I heard stories from my coworkers after I joined, it's amazing the things you learn after you accept a job offer. I'm hoping the nanites are gone but I have no way to confirm that right now. I do know I'm not nearly as fast or strong as I was when they were active."

She was quiet for a couple of minutes and jsut sort of looked around the place before looking over at him. "So if you don't mind me asking, what are your plans?" The doorbell rang before Scott could answer and she padded over quietly, looking through the peep hole before opening it and accepting the chinese food. She pulled money from a small pocket in the top back of the leather pants and waited by the door after the delivery guy left a good minute and opened the door again to make sure he was really gone before bringing the food over to the bar.

Quickly taking the various cartons out of the bag, she sniffed at one and even from across the bar Scott could smell the strong spices threaten to make his eyes water. Sylvia sighed with pleasure and looked eager to dig in. "Smells like they got it right!" She mixed the chicken in with her rice and took out the complimentary chopsticks they had provided. "So you were saying?"
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
DELICIOUS!!!

Tools
User Statistics
Scott shrugged softly, looking back down at the menu. "Sorry, I'm not most guys. Don't take it as an insult, I'm just being polite." He was being entirely truthful with her, as he wasn't like most guys, and he was just trying to be polite. Had he known she wouldn't have cared... he may have been tempted to openly gawk.

Shaking his head softly, he looked back up at Sylvia once more. "If they're in your system, then they're in your system. I'm not even sure if there is a way to get them out, other than... well, having your body destroyed... but I don't think you could survive that. If I may make a comment, I'd say that having powers is no walk in the park either. People will use you, whether you go along with it willingly, or not. Do you really want that?"

Realizing just then that he had ordered the food without having any way to pay for it, he couldn't help but feel bad as Sylvia walked back to the bar. "Sorry... I left my wallet in my other dead body... I'll pick up the next one, I promise." He smiled apologetically at her, waiting for her to grab the food she ordered, then grabbing his own and taking a bite of each. The dumplings could use some soy sauce.

"My plans... try not to die before I make up for the terrible things I've done. Other than that, I suppose I'll be staying here for a little while. I'll have to see about finding a job... you said you're a mercenary? How's the pay, and do you think you could use a partner?" Scott's tone was casual, but the look on his face clearly meant business. He coughed and covered his mouth as the smell of her food reached him, his eyes beginning to burn a little. "Your stomach must be a ticking time bomb of ulcers... how are you alive?" Scott laughed, feeling some of the tension he had been struggling with lift from his shoulders for the moment, allowing himself to enjoy his meal with Sylvia.