Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Watching, always watching

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17072
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
May 2012 Post of the Month Nomination Thread

This is it, the place to post your nominations for the best post on DnD Online Games for May 2012.

Please review the REVISED rules for the competition and post your nominations accordingly.

Ineligible MembersThe following members are ineligible for this month's competition:

Judges
Nimlos
Chronicler
HenryLockwood

Previous 2012 PotM Winners

January - TheChuck
February - mad_gondsman
March - FadingEcho
April - Tangler

Now, show us who did the best work in May!

This thread will be closed on June 1.

Last edited by Nimlos; 05-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Aged Cheddar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10654
sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel sammichweasel
AximusLokar - Clockwork Imperium
Link

The team, being chased by a swarm of mechanized pixies before they've even received their first real mission after being pardoned from death row, were running into various obstacles through the steampunk/magicka city of Undercloud. Their vehicle, a busted Model T-esque contraption now being pulled by a clockwork dog made of shadows, had entered a stretched time field where they could interact with themselves in an effort to thwart their pursuers.

Axi took the idea and ran with it, deciding paradox weren't no thing, and came up with one of my favorite actions in a game. So...

Emily was born 4/16 at 10:30 AM EST!

... my posting will be a little spotty for a while.

Last edited by sammichweasel; 05-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 777
CalynCorr CalynCorr CalynCorr CalynCorr CalynCorr CalynCorr CalynCorr
Horatio's writing is consistently superb, and this is no exception. He’s being led by a guide (Kael) into an underground city which is magically hidden such that one must get “lost” to find it. This city is accessed by the sewers. The guide has opted to blindfold both himself and Horatio's PC, Wynn, so that they can get lost faster.

Post in Thread

Last edited by CalynCorr; 05-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM
De Shmot-Guy Vizzard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4105
Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast Mal Radagast

This is from kingmonkey's most excellent diceless roleplaying game. It's rather like chess that way - easy to learn, difficult to master. Kingmonkey has cunningly allowed us only certain knowledges about our characters, which unfold over time.

The post in question concerns Joey - a boy of, what, twelve?, with either an older mind locked inside, or else the memories of being older, only...he's not. Joey has an advanced medical knowledge...somewhere...with only a boy's ability to access or understand it. Another character - Grey - has discovered a certain familiarity with magics, and a third - whom the boy calls Granny, somewhat to the old lady's ire - has had her arm crunched pretty badly, and for a while now. It's been bothering Joey for ages, and he's only just connected these dots - his knowledge, plus Grey's magic. The endearing young lad is now trying to tell them about his realization, with his characteristic overenthusiasm.

This complex and masterfully subtle performance has been crafted by cyranojoe, who know doubt has a bit of Joey locked inside somewhere, himself.

Mebbe ve gets lucky?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Price Check Needed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5393
saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187 saratek187
Withdrawn

Last edited by saratek187; 05-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16059
RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption RonarsCorruption
Reviving any game isn't easy. Let alone an award-winning year-hiatus game like Perimiter... But Birched is trying, and the sheer amount of content within it is amazing.

This is where Birched summarized the first half of the seventh chapter for the players, so everyone could remember what was going on when they restarted.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Antiquated Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1348
Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast Outcast
Ordinarily, a missed attack is simply something to lament. Occasionally, it's seized upon as a chance to indulge in slapstick comedy. Uruz, however, gave us insight into his character, some stylish combat, and wry observation on the problems of fighting in an unaccustomed manner (and of depending on dice rolls)... all in a short enough span to avoid hogging the limelight mid-fight.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Devil's Dance Floor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2275
TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz TheDarkFuzz
After an infiltration attempt went south, our party was left with a lot of unconscious enemies lying around and many more conscious ones on the way. Outcast came up with a great plan to humanely disable the fallen combatants (in case their allies brought healing) while still leaving them alive. Cutting their belts, stealing their boots, and liberating their weapons, rather than just cutting their throats, was a humorous and effective alternative to the typical DnD group's solution - kill 'em all and let Pelor sort it out. This post also gives a lot of insight into Dominik's character, as an empathetic veteran of war who is capable of being pragmatic without being merciless.

And here's a Link to the Post.

Also, in case you're wondering, that druid deserved a good kicking. No need for you to know why, just know that it was completely justified.
pull yourself together girl and have a little fun
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Decaf?!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31808
Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck
Toba put together an excellent character app for my Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game. Here is the meat of the app.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Metamathemagician

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7168
Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal Nocturnal
Nominating
Davion for this post.

Background
Dark Sun setting: Athas is a harsh desert world because abuse of arcane magic defiled the land, draining energy from plants and the sun. Insect-like Thri-Kreen and cannibalistic Halflings roam the deserts in small tribes, and half-dwarf Muls are slaves and/or gladiators in cities despotically ruled by powerful defilers called sorcerer-kings.

Lakta-ta, a Thri-Kreen defiler and sorcerer, killed his clutch leader by defiling in backstory, just before the game began. Since then his struggle with defiling magic has been a central part of his character development. He's been hiding some of his arcane magic by disguising it as acidic saliva.

Larry Biko, a halfling rogue/warlord and dune trader, was a former PC and member of the caravan that took in Lakta-ta and the remaining members of his Thri-Kreen clutch. He was left behind when his player couldn't play anymore.

The Post
Can be found here.

Davion took a former PC and NPC'd him impressively with a surprising twist while calling back ongoing elements from the very start of the story. This spurred some long-foreshadowed development in a few PCs' story related to those events, and began closing an open plot thread.

Not only the post itself but the roleplay that it immediately spawned is worthy of note. Every player responded with a flurry of activity at the revelation, often roleplaying at the top of their games, and it had long-lasting consequences in character interaction and plot advancement. This to me is the mark of a highly skilled DM. That's why I highly urge you to read the post in context and those that follow and that's why I think it should win Post of the Month.

Last edited by Nocturnal; 05-31-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Psionic Cheerleader

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2156
Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz Uruz
I would like to nominate Zarzak for this post in HL's Zeitgeist game.

Background: The group is busy assaulting a fortified lighthouse and is about to face nigh insurmountable odds in a last stand scenario. Zarzak as Lionel (who has already come close to death once) shows his mettle and stands as a bulwark against the coming horde so that the rest of the party has more chances to defend themselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Break Down The Wall

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6427
Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch

Reading some of the greatness above, I realize this next post won't contend, but for participation's sake, here's my best for may.

I'll be posting a bit of a summary tomorrow, no time right now

Link to nominated post: Post

Nominated Post

"I don't need no arms around me. I don't need no drugs to calm me. I have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all, no, don't think I'll need anything at all...All in all, it was all, just bricks in the wall."
- Pink Floyd

Last edited by Wretch; 06-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Watching, always watching

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17072
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
Nominations are now closed.