RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2008 > Hero's Gauntlet > Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1069
DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth DrTeeth
I meant the ones at the shops. Some of what I said was said thinking it was the final leg though.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
also I like using powers from both classes. I have a good mix of both. I am really against the reworking of the characters.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Robo-daughter!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20655
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
also I like using powers from both classes. I have a good mix of both
Again - your powers themselves would not change. The reworking would be the houserules I made up for the game would be altered slightly, to allow everyone to create sheets using the CB. The main change to Taraganath is that he wouldn't mark people. The main change to Garrus would be that he only got quarry damage two rounds in an encounter. Pretty much everything else could stay the same. (there would be some minor shuffling with HP, defences, and skills, but nothing major)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
/wildshape every template

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 512
kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo
I'll have to change feats. If I go paladin I will lose the curse ability to once per encounter. If I go warlock I'll lose divine challenge to once per encounter. Not even if we don't rest between encounters
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
what are the benefits to these changes? just being able to use that generator? if so I dont think its worth losing 10% of my hp's, and abilities that I use (Garrus' atleast)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Robo-daughter!

Tools
User Statistics
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Quote:
what are the benefits to these changes?
The benefits are for me to be able to run the game more easily At the moment, it's quite intensive on my half, as there are no easy check-ups, or tracking, and if I need to look up defences / how a power works / what class properties are working, I need to do a fair bit of searching. So, in an attempt to streamline my side a bit, and bring the game a bit smoother overall, I'd like to simplify the character design to a point where the CB can handle it
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Tools
User Statistics
kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo
what if I wanted to run 1 straight class and get some kind of benefit as a 3rd option? from your description, I am pretty much going to lose my paladin powers. this includes LOH, Divine Challenge, bonus to defenses, surges, HP/level, and more.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Robo-daughter!

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
1 straight class and get some kind of benefit
A free feat isn't a benefit? You could choose to play one class straight, take the MC feat (skill training, small encounter ability), and not swap any powers at all. That would be a "straight class, with a benefit".

And yes, the characters wouldn't be as powerful as they were, but they would still be more powerful than standard by-the-book characters (and your stats still remain ~8 points above the standard point buy).

Perhaps using the hybrid starting point might be better for you?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Tools
User Statistics
kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo
I'll take the MC feat and play a straight warlock then.
Wondering what my partner will do since he's a fighter/cleric.
he's gonna have to go cleric for the heals.
I can re-roll the lock sometime next week when I have time.
how are you handling the leveling thing so I can adjust it to the build
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Robo-daughter!

Tools
User Statistics
Would it help if, instead of the MC feat / Hybrid feat, I allowed hybrid classes to have the following:

Your class specific abilities (eg ranger's quarry) can still apply when using your other classes powers

Quote:
he's gonna have to go cleric for the heals.
No one commented on the suggested change to potions...what if the 10HP potions cost 100gp, and didn't require any surge? That way, being straight clerics (or other healers) wouldn't be a necessity, but could still be impressive in battle for a large immediate heal.

Quote:
how are you handling the leveling thing so I can adjust it to the build
You will all go up to level 7 (so you won't lose 10% HP, so much as not gain as many )
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 AM

Tools
User Statistics
kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo
the first part is irrelevant. because if I take the MC feat and pick up the paladin mark, I can only use it once per encounter. Right now, I have a feat that increases my curse damage if I have a monster cursed and marked with the challenge. so i'm retraining out of that, because 1/encounter feat is useless.

What if potions used up a healing surge and healed a healing surge? would that be too powerful? maybe then it would justify 100g per potion. 10hp isn't that much at level 7, and as we level higher, it becomes more insignificant.

Even then, I would have to have 1 hand free when I am already dual wielding. So, a second wind becomes the heal of choice, but usable once per encounter. Our encounters last a while. Even I thought my team wasn't taking that many short rests and we turned out to take the most.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
does it really matter what we want? you want this to make the game move easier, its gonna happen.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Tools
User Statistics
kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo kyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
does it really matter what we want? you want this to make the game move easier, its gonna happen.
why would he ask for feeback if it didn't matter. so im gonna go with yes. it matters. why do you care
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I hate change I also hate losing 10% of my hit points
Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Dire Badger of Legend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3287
Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion Coeur de Lion
Healing 10hp isn't much (for some characters), but there are allegedly bigger healing potions out there that might heal 15 or 20hp as we level up. The fact we haven't found any/many yet shouldn't cloud your thinking.

Our team took only 2 short rests, which meant that we were regularly running around bloodied or similar and being cautious about fights and out of healing powers except for a couple of healing potions. One of which I needed to revive my companion to get out of the Smithy. In that instance, I didn't care if it was 10hp, it could have been 1hp!

My view is that healing potions are a backup and very useful in an emergency and should remain so, and not a primary method of healing.

If healing potions essentially become a surge trigger, then their value will depend upon how attractive taking short rests is. If the time/game penalty for taking a short rest is too small, then everyone will do that rather than use potions and their value would be smaller and hence the opposite is true.

Also, certain character classes are just more survivable than others. I tried to build my character to remain effective even if reduced to at-will attack powers (having used all encounter powers) and to have ways to either trigger a surge to heal or provide temp hp to lessen the burden on the healer.