twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Help! Game Request FAQ

G'afternoon everyone,

Over the past month we put the highly efficient new game creation system in the DMs Seeking Players folder, we got a lot of signals that how this works was not clear to everyone. Therefore, I present to you this extra FAQ thread, just for questions about how you create a thread here / how you request a game.

First, go to the Tools dropdown menu at the top fo your screen, and click the Request a Game option.

Second, fill in the form - note that the Game Name will be the name of the game forum and your advertisement thread title. Note that while you can return to the form and edit some fields, none of the changes through the Dungeon Master Control Panel will change an advertisement thread once it has been posted. (To fix typos in your ad thread title, PM a moderator.)

In your advertisement, please tell your players NOT to roll any dice in the ad thread. (The problem here is that since you don't have GM privileges in the Games Seeking Players folder where your ad will be posted, you don't have any way of knowing if a player is trying to cheat. There could be ten sets of rolls in secret text and only the best one displayed.) If your game requires dice rolling up front before even a concept can be created, this is your only warning.

Lastly, click "Request Game" at the bottom of the form - you will be taken to a screen confirming that your game has been requested, and you'll receive a PM with a link to your advert thread, if you selected the option for an advert thread to be made. One of the moderators assigned to game creation will check out your request in the next day or so and either accept it for creation or give you some feedback on what you need to do to get the request accepted.

Please Note: The game creation mods generally look for a certain amount of interest in your game before the forum will be created. If people show up in your advertisement and throw around ideas, your game will be created faster. If you wish to have a game forum created immediately, regardless of interest, consider becoming a Community Supporter.

After you have requested your game, click on the "Dungeon Master Control Panel" button in the Tools dropdown menu to view the current status of your current and requested games, where you can view the details, edit them, or - if you're a CS or a member with over a thousand posts and have gamed with us for six months or longer - you can add and edit folders in your games

That's the way it works, folks!

If you have any questions about the Game Creation system, please post them in a reply to this thread.

Game On,
~Admin Sedracus

Note: New members still wearing that Yellow name cannot request a game yet. Please shed that new member status by making a few posts, you can find more information in the New Members forum.

Last Updated: 2010-01-31 by Aethera

PS. Below you can find the compiled Q&A of the posts in this thread, so you don't need to search through 'em to find whether your question has been answered already.

Last edited by Aethera; Jan 31st, 2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5997
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
It has been my personal experience that once threads start reaching more pages, I am less likely to open that app thread, since by then there are already too many people to compete with. With games that have the original applications in the advertisement forum, is there some way that those original pages can be deleted so that new players are not discouraged from opening a thread?
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM
wahlulubalabawalagulaa - ON HIATUS

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26734
Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad` Toad`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorios
With games that have the original applications in the advertisement forum, is there some way that those original pages can be deleted so that new players are not discouraged from opening a thread?
Not without contacting a Moderator or an Admin to delete the posts for you. In each case, the Staff member in question will not take the matter lightly and likely will not comply with the request unless the posts are rather old.

-Grave

Last edited by Aethera; Aug 24th, 2017 at 04:08 AM. Reason: thread cleanup
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:51 PM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Apologies as it wouldn't surprise me if this has been mentioned already, but I seem to have gotten my ability to post "DMs Seeking Players" ads disabled. I can post "Players Seeking DMs" ads to me heart's content, but not "DMs Seeking Players". Did I trip something somewhere?

Is it a spam thing? There probably be something that tells the spam filter that posters with a certain number of posts or more is exempt from it.
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:04 AM
IncubiLord
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10397
Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll
All game ads in DMs Seeking Players are now part of the game-creation system. Nobody posts there directly, but you can create an interest/recruiting thread via the "Request a Game" form found in the Tools dropdown menu. Essentially, interest-threads get turned to recruiting-threads so often that the two were merged in a more-streamlined system a while back. The form you fill out becomes the thread and its opening post.

I must admit that I've not used the utility much myself, so one of the other staffers might offer further detail. But that's the gist of it.
The usual. Hundreds of grandchildren, utter domination of known space and the pleasure of hearing that all of my enemies have died in terrible, highly improbable accidents that cannot be connected to me. And you?

Last edited by Zhefonyll; May 7th, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:05 AM
The Good Doktor
Event Judge

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30029
GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism GleefulNihilism
Ah, I missed that part. Apologies. Considering a game, danke.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 764
Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar
Since the old thread for closing advertisement threads is gone, how might one go about getting the thread tag for an old thread changed from "Game Closed" to "Other"?

Thread in question is here: Hymns of the Unseen

I already have both a game forum and an ad thread, so I don't want to resubmit anything.
Work has kept me off the site for the past week or so. I will likely be unavailable through the end of the month, and any posting I do will have to be done from my tablet. My apologies for any delays or interruptions this may have caused, and I will pick back up at the beginning of July.
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM
IncubiLord
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10397
Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll Zhefonyll
If you click Edit Post on the opening post of that thread, then click Go Advanced, can you not change the tag there? I swapped it for you while I was looking, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to do it this way.
The usual. Hundreds of grandchildren, utter domination of known space and the pleasure of hearing that all of my enemies have died in terrible, highly improbable accidents that cannot be connected to me. And you?
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 764
Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar Annolennar
Thanks Zhef!

Yeah, I checked there but all it had was the text box for the Title, no drop down box with the categories like a new thread does.
Work has kept me off the site for the past week or so. I will likely be unavailable through the end of the month, and any posting I do will have to be done from my tablet. My apologies for any delays or interruptions this may have caused, and I will pick back up at the beginning of July.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Kaellas Durin Kaellas Durin
I hope this is the right place to ask these questions, what should I do if I have an early Game idea, too early to request make a game request but I still want feed back from the other members here?

Obviously I cant/shouldnt make a thread it here, but should I make an Interest Check thread on Players Seeking Games? Or is there a better place to for such a thing?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered, I checked this thread couldnt find something specific to my questions. Of course my inability to find anything doesnt mean its not there.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Break Down The Wall
Hall of Fame DM 2009  

Hall of Fame DM 2012

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7256
Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch Wretch
tools tab under the forum logo (atop the page, right next to the search drop down). From there simply click on request game. Though if you haven't yet, I suggest you read through the first posts of the faq before you do anything else.

You might also want to check here: http://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=40530

Last edited by Wretch; Jul 5th, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 137
redwulf25 redwulf25
The OP says I'll hear back in a day or so with either acceptance or feed back on why it wasn't accepted, it's been six days. Should I be concerned or is this just normal delay due to busy mods?
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
redwulf25 I just looked at your game request and the issue I see is that there isn't much interest. We generally like to see a decent amount of player interest before we create a game folder. Generate more interest from prospective players and the folder will get created.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54977
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Second Campaign, Same Game

I've already got a game ready to go, but I realize that I have every intention of creating a duplicate campaign in the same game (it seems more popular than I expected) and I've talked with another DM about doing some mystical mumbo-jumbo and making a game that's a combination of his and mine at a later date. I was planning to do this in folders of the same game, but there's no way to re-advertise.

Do I need to create a second game and recreate all my setting/game info just to play another campaign with the same stuff? (Applies to a second campaign with new players, a duplicate campaign with different players, or a combo/co-DM campaign with whomever.)

Could game folders maybe have the same new-fangled system applied to them as the main game folder, so a new campaign could be created in a subfolder, and from the DM Tools menu I could create an ad for that subfolder? (CS-only solution, I realize.)
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36965
TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck TheChuck
What I would do were I you is create a new folder in your main folder and then, since it's set in the same world and all, just use the original advertisement thread to advertise the new game. Edit the first post of the advert to very obviously display that fact and go from there. You could also ask any moderator to edit the title of the advert thread and they would happily do it for you. Just provide a link to the thread and the name that you want it changed to.

Since you are a CS you might consider putting that suggestion that you have into the Wishes thread and see where it goes. It's not a bad idea at all honestly, but it would require some code modification to make it work.