Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63
Freakatheart80
Background Generator

Let me start off by saying I'm not a very creative person. When it comes to playing dnd pbp I'm good at it, but it is extremely difficult for me to come up w/a background good enough to get accepted into most of the games here on DnDOG. Is there a Background Generator out there that could give me some kind of base to work with & tweek to fit my character? Most of what I have seen is just start with "this" then talk about "that". Well I need something more in depth than this & that.
Can anyone help? Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Watching, always watching

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17760
Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos Nimlos
Well, you could try to find a copy of this.

A fair portion of it is weird and wild stuff DMs won't allow, but if you're having serious trouble with backgrounds it does offer a lot of options.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:36 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1320
Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana Ychrana
There are a number of background generators out there, but to be fair a lot wont really fit what you want and you'll likely spend most of your time going through them all trying to find one that works.

To be honest I think you'd be better making a character and then making a background around your stats.
Then you tweak your stats and background until you have something you like.

Another good idea is to use your background or the background of someone you know, fictional or in real life. Then modify it to your setting.
I assume you're talking about a dungeons and dragons character?

If so you can Google something like 'D&D character generator' or depending on your setting something like 'forgotten realms character generator' and get some decent results.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Blue Rogue

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 153
blesper blesper
The 4e character builder has several background choices. You could take most of them and apply it to a 3.5 setting as well. The demo version is free on wizard's website.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 PM
what the frickity froo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1642
Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics
Serendipity has some good generators. The character generators are pretty bare bones, but they might give you a good starting point to work from. Seventh Sanctum also has a bunch of good generators, but again, there isn't really anything that's in depth. Just good starting points. P:
Old 10-24-2010, 07:15 PM
BEEEEOWOWWWW

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 89
PandaCommanda
Before coming up with a background, try coming up with the personality of the character. That is far more relevant to the actual game. Once you have a detailed, interesting character, take the information about a campaign setting and what you know about your character and try and figure out where he/she fits in, and how it relates to gameplay specifically.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
what the frickity froo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1642
Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics Ethics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaCommanda View Post
Before coming up with a background, try coming up with the personality of the character. That is far more relevant to the actual game. Once you have a detailed, interesting character, take the information about a campaign setting and what you know about your character and try and figure out where he/she fits in, and how it relates to gameplay specifically.
Hmm, I feel like a character's background sort of determines their personality. Or maybe more like, they should be developed together? haha idk.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Wombat Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7706
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
I usually start with a defining moment in the character's life, and build outward from there. Granted, I'm more often than not approaching a character as if I were writing a short story - but it can help you to gain focus on what you're planning to do with this character. A moment where the character is really happy will develop into a vastly different character than the character who was sprung from a moment of extreme sadness.

...More often than not, my characters begin with tragedy...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3282
KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi
When I make a character, I generally look at the world described in the game and see what comes to mind. I usually have a broad archetype exciting me within twenty minutes.

Once I have a basic concept in mind, (Arcane spell caster not allowed to cast without the protection of a sworn paladin, Psionic seer more concerned with protecting others then with prolonging his own life, steampunk dragon slayer, etc) I just think of the kind of personality that would go well with that type of character, then make a background that would produce such a personality and concept. Then I might end up changing the personality, or concept. It's something of a snowball process.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Oni Kurikurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KithKunabi View Post
When I make a character, I generally look at the world described in the game and see what comes to mind. I usually have a broad archetype exciting me within twenty minutes.

Once I have a basic concept in mind, (Arcane spell caster not allowed to cast without the protection of a sworn paladin, Psionic seer more concerned with protecting others then with prolonging his own life, steampunk dragon slayer, etc) I just think of the kind of personality that would go well with that type of character, then make a background that would produce such a personality and concept. Then I might end up changing the personality, or concept. It's something of a snowball process.
I agree with KithKunabi on this one. Having a character type in mind is the easiest way for me to get started. Once its in place, you can go about finding out what made him/her/it/them that way.

Also in agreement about changes. Don't be afraid to change personality types or character types if you get some sudden inspiration. I have seen many table top gamers fall out of a game, simply because they felt they had to stick with their original concept. Characters are like people: Situations that they run across in real life can have a dramatically altering affect on them as the game progresses, so there's some leeway for advancement and improvement there.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 425
Rohor Rohor Rohor Rohor Rohor
I have found Ash's Guide to RPG Personality and Background to be helpful when I was lacking ideas. It isn't an 'automatic' generator, but you can roll percentile dice and come up with 'random' traits and motivators which will give you a skeleton to work from (automatic in that sense). It also gives you ideas on how you can expand other various aspects of your character including family and significant past events. In my opinion a very good site - one that I go back to every now and then when I am making a new character and need some inspiration.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2031
Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn Barlycorn
I don't have time to look for it right now but didn't Medesha come up with twenty questions to help build a personality and background?
Absolutely typo fixed, thanks Arucard