twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15827
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Musical resources.

So what is all this then? Well if you ask most people I've gamed with you'll find out I like music. I think it is a great way to convey the mood you're trying to set.

Pretty much all of my characters have a Theme Song and my few aborted attempts at running games have featured a lot of linked background music as well as pictures. Inspired by a request by the board's own Nocturnal I've finally decided to start compiling the various musics that have inspired images in my head.
This is going to be a work in progress and I encourage you the reader to submit your own ideas for music I should add.

Music by Location
Desert
The Offspring - Pay the Man
A surprise find on the Americana album, this one puts me to mind of a group nomadic desert traders that are having a normal day of wheeling and dealing at some oasis somewhere, smoking their pipes and enjoying perhaps a dancer, when they are struck by a terrible sandstorm. The desert is a harsh and fickle mistress and sometimes decides to remind those who dwell within of the fact.
Nautical
I have to admit I have a particular love for the ocean. I've lived by salt water my entire life. My father owned a The Sundowner, an old fishing boat converted to a pleasure boat.boat and I went on overnight trips while still a toddler. I've eaten crab cooked in a driftwood fire on a pebble beach and Sand clams dig down when disturbed and some of those suckers can be fastchased clams with a shovel before the days of red tide. If it's a fairly simple rigging I can even sail a ship, not with a motor but honest to god sails. Expect to see plenty of music in this category.

Unknown (Cira 1840-50's) - Santy Anno
My favorite Historical note sea shanties serve a purpose beyond staving off boredom. On ships, especially large ones like you see in pirate movies, sailing had a certain rhythm, if everyone was moving in rhythm things went well, if not it could cause anything from simple inefficiency to deaths or sinking the ship if it gets blown over by a bad change over in high windsSea Shanty ever. You can't listen to it without thinking of creak of rope and feel the roll of a boat beneath your feet. It brings to the mind of bearded shirtless men singing away as they toil at the lines.
Unknown (Cira 1820+) - Eliza Lee
Second favorite. The lyrics are more upbeat cheery, not that Santy Anno is terribly depressing.
Plains
Beethoven - Symphony #6 in F, "Pastoral"

Rural Village
Seasick Steve - Started out with nothin
This one always puts a smile on my face.
Tavern
DDO - Tavern music
Self evident I hope. Suggested by Noghri Sloth and one of the few things I remember as being good about DDO. There's a whole series of these and all of them are pretty good.
LoTR - The cat and the moon
Another good suggestion from Noghri Sloth. This one fits especially well as part of a rural festival as well as tavern music.

Mood music Down and Out - For just after the group has suffered a crushing defeat but before the rally.
Clutch - The Regulator
For Him.
The world has ground you down to a shell of a man. You're drinking cheap rotgut straight from the bottle in an attempt to keep the memories and nightmares at bay. Your gun is starting to look awfully friendly. You can barely be assed to crawl out of bed.
Parov Stellar feat Lija Bloom - Coco
For Her.
The world can be a horrible place. For you the world IS a horrible place. Why move on? Everyone needs a reason to keep on, to carry the load on your shoulders when every step you take seems to add another stone. Do you have one?
Parov Stellar - Hurt
For either.
They say you always hurt the ones you love the worst. But does that mean you should hold on when someone seems more hate than love, but you love them back? How much is too much?
Ludwig van Beethoven –Moonlight sonata
There is no comment because no comment is necessary on this one, only ears and a soul.
Eery creepy music - Meant to create a sense of tension and unease.
Constantine Soundtrack - Meet John Constantine
Are you creeping about the dark in a graveyard? Do you know something isn't quite right, but can't put your finger on it? Is something, something from a place between reality and dream, some horror you know not what, stalking you? Well good luck, I'm gonna be here hiding under my covers.
God lives here - Good songs for temples.
Castelvania Symphony of the Night - Requiem for the Gods
Do hundreds of candles burn in a high vaulted room? Are voices automatically hushed in respect for the surroundings, out of respect for the sense of something greater than the self? Whether the divine being him or herself or the sense of hundreds and maybe even thousands gathered in a unified purpose, or simply a small gathering of those who believe, this is the music to set the scene. This is a place where miracles happen and people find faith where none existed before.
High society, the halls of power
Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Woodcarving Partitia
Ah yes the harpsichord plays and people whirl in an elaborate dance dripping in finery and jewels. Perhaps it's the Winter Gala, or the king's Engagement Party, or the Duke of Eiderbarrow's annual spring ball. Either way everyone here wears a cloak of power and duels of words are exchanged by tongues sharper than any duelist's rapier. Step carefully or you'll be stepped on, but if you're bold and canny you can gain more wealth, political leverage, or simple fame than you ever could in any dusty tomb or battlefield.
Pour L'amore
Sidney Bechet - Premier Bal and Petit Fleur
Dancing cheek to cheek with the one you want to be with.
Rising Tension
ES Posthumus - Unstoppable
The armies of man and monster gather and even the gods themselves sharpen swords. There is no turning back, no choice, no grand speeches, only the gather of storm clouds on the horizon that herald a storm the likes of which no living being has seen before or is likely to see since.

Music by character type
The Smiling Rogue- We'll call this the Clutch character
Clutch - The incomparable Mr. Flannery
You're a street level hustler. Maybe you're from the country, maybe you're still an up and commer. Sure you're rough around the edges, maybe the hustler got hustled, but you keep your head up and keep moving because you know something that keeps the fire in your eyes. There's a sucker born every minute and you're always one perfect hustle away from the big time.
Clutch - Subtle Hustle
You're probably the one who hustled that last guy. You're at the top of your game and you know it. The grand master of spin, you can charm the pants off an Angel and cut the devil's own purse strings without missing a beat. Maybe you can actually do everything you say, maybe not, but your own myth and legend is half of your strength.
Chris Cornell - You Know My Name
You're the consummate professional. You've been there and done that and have that look in your eyes, the type of look that tells a man that you could kill him with only a modest effort. And that's only if you actually let him see you. Maybe you've got ego, maybe not, but if you do you've earned it. Ego or not you know that if you drop your name everyone takes notice.

Anti-herosBittersweet/western
The Heavy - Short Change Hero
Has a worn out anti-hero vibe. The sort person who's facing down a bad situation and has decided to go against her/his personal creed and play the hero for a change.
Cage the elephant - Ain't no rest for the wicked
A lot more up-beat than the last one. Here's a man who makes no apologies for getting his hands dirty.

The new guy/Up and commerFoo Fighters - Learn to fly
Another one that makes me smile. This is someone, maybe a kid, who's just taking his first steps towards becoming a hero. A good song for the old training montage. Always puts me in the mind of superheroes due to it being the themesong of a City of Heroes (RIP) character of mine.

Fight musicThis will have it's own section, coming soon.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Apr 2nd, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
A is for ASSKICKING!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12115
XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor XQbitor
I have a couple of tracks I’d like to share with all of you. I would like to introduce to you Apocalyptica: a Finnish electric celli quartet. They’ve mostly made instrumental tracks, but have also include singers like Sandra Nasic (Guarno Apes) and Metallica covers in their repertoire.

Mood musicDesolation
Apocalyptica – Coma
You stand on the field of battle as the only survivor. There is only silence and the broken bodies of your mighty army. There are dead soldiers as far as your eyes can see littering the ground. You kick out after a crow feasting on a carcass only to fly to the next. Brothers and friends are among the dead. Anger swells in your heart. Was all of this worth it? Was it all for nothing?
Bittersweet remembrance
Apocalyptica – In Memorian
The picture in your hand sends you back to a more pleasant time. At first it pains you, looking at where you are now in the present. But the memories soothe the bitterness. Was the picture of you and your buddies at the tree club? Was it when you learned to ride a bike? Your first love? Whatever it is it gives you strength to go on.
Dying love
Apocalyptica – Romance
It was so sweet in the beginning. But then life grinded down what you had together. Slowly, but surely, the romance withers away until it is no more than a mere husk. Will love alone be enough to keep you two together?

There are other tracks I’d like you all to hear:
Struggle
Hope
Path
Until it Sleeps (Metallica cover)
Nothing Else Matters (Metallica cover)
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM
The Pen Is Mightier

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5731
Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex Sir Alex
Very cool. I've been thinking about putting more music in my posts for a while, although I haven't been a DM yet and that seems like the best opportunity to use music. I'm going to throw some out in a jumble for now...

Random TracksCourtly / Palace
Really anything by Jordi Savall - Gavotte - Folias Criollas - Fantasia

Bach - Sinfonia

Tavern Music / Countryside Travel
Julie Fowlis - O Noble Youth - Tha'm Buntáta Mór - My Love is On the High Sea
A lot of her music is good for the fantasy genre, and it's in Scottish gaelic so you could say it's someone singing in elven or gnomish or something.
Epic Tragedy
World of Warcraft - Invincible
Yes, it's WoW but I think this is a great track.
Edin Karamazov - Moderato

Exploration / Discovery
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - King and Country - Wings of Kynareth - Through the Valleys
Some of the best fantasy mood music out there, imho.

More coming...WIP

Last edited by Sir Alex; Sep 1st, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 08:38 AM
of flesh

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10494
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
Great list so far. I would add the Tron OST, any of the Dark Knight Trilogy OSTs, Massive Attack's "Angel" and "Dissolved Girl", and Rob D's "Clubbed to Death" off the Matrix OST.

I'll think of more and post them when I'm at a computer instead of my gf's iPad.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Killing PC's Since 2005

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31292
Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig Digorig
Hello Reds...

Maybe this thread could/should/would be combined with THIS THREAD in general? Lots of good stuff in both!

DiG
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Vampire Cat
Good People  

Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19247
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
The Arucard Contribution for Comedic Austerity

Bait and Switch Music--
Music for when your party finds out they've been had, perhaps by a conniving rogue or deceptive noble. That big reveal will really hit home when this begins to play in the background!

Song 1

Chase Music--
Party on the run from an angry mob? Hiding from a group of assassins? Or, are they trying to take down a fleeing enemy who holds all the secrets to the king's throne? This little ditty will set the mood for all of the above.

Song 2

Haunted Music--
Whether exploring a graveyard at midnight, tip-toeing past a sleeping witch, or finding one's self stuck in a haunted house, these tracks set the "spooky" dial to 11.

Song 3

Song 4

Song 5

Insanity Music--

Have your players come under the effects of a Weird spell, a Phantasmal Killer, or some other bizarre effect? Confusion, Insanity, and a host of other maladies find their musical counterparts in this collection.

Song 6

Song 7

Song 8

[/fieldset]

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
If I were to add actual music, the list would be too long, so I will elect something different: Ambiance!

RainyMood is just fantastic no matter which way you use it. It's a loop of about 15 minutes of rain in a pretty decent thunderstorm, and I've used it to great effect in my IRL games. I imagine it would be great in your threads as well, no matter who you are.

Meanwhile, if you want something more specific, I point you in direction of Go Mix It! You can combine sounds and bring them in for different regularities. Like, say you wanted to have a fireside chat with your players, you could produce something like this. Or if it was raining for another fireside chat, you could get this. The best part is that they let you save it and store it on their website.

Good dungeon sounds can be found all around, especially if you want them to be creepy. My favorite dungeon ambiance, or horror in general, is Lustmord, whose music like this sounds very disheartening and gets tension up like crazy. The music is what it is because he goes into caves/urban settings/places with great acoustics, and blasts off electronic sounds, then records their echo and their effects before mixing them. I've also found he's good for space, via this or this. It's kind of relaxing, if you let it be, but it doesn't mix with dark rooms. Meanwhile, he also does pretty awesome remixes, like this one of Tool's Parabola. If you're into a grown man moaning for 11 minutes, it's great. Which is good for cultists and Call of Cthulhu-like settings.

There's also Endless YouTube, where you input a song and it loops it; technically, you can loop a particular part, but I've never figured out how to get it to link after you've looped it. I'm sure someone out there could, though.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:27 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15827
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Finally did a little updating. Thanks for the feedback for those who've given some.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Crunchy Frog

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 777
Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles Mad Dan Eccles
Might I suggest anything composed for those crazy old Hammer films, especially if it was by a fellow called Harry Robinson? This is from Twins of Evil, in which sexy vampires get their kit off rather a lot, and Peter Cushing consistently burns the wrong witch. Pin back your ears:

http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/down...n%20Theme).mp3
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:53 PM
/ing fiction from reality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13883
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
This looks like a very useful thread, I'm glad someone started it.

I'm curious what people think about lyrical vs. non-lyrical music as theme music. I've seen some of both posted here, and was curious what people's thoughts were on the pros and cons of each. The whole idea of theme music is a bit new to me, so I'm interested to hear what others think.

As far as my contribution to this thread, two words: Lisa Gerrard. She has pieces that could work for either lyrical or non-lyrical, though her style will only match certain moods (mainly the moodier moods). If you ever have a need for such in your campaign, check her out. I'm actually afraid that if I start DMing and using mood music, everything I pick could be one of her songs. So I'm glad this thread is here to provide a bit of diversity for me.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Lisa Gerrard is among my favorite artists to utilize; Dead Can Dance is my favorite band, hands down (saw them live in Austin a few months ago; absolutely amazing night). I prefer Brendan Perry of the duo, but Lisa's solo stuff is much better than his and great for D&D, especially Gladiator. She has a powerful voice, and it really helps that, unless DCD or Lisa are singing a particular song, it's all in Essentially speaking in tonguesglossolalia, so it's very universal. And there's nothing wrong with building a soundtrack of universally one artist, if anything that ensures consistency. The only problem with the consistency theory with Lisa Gerrard/Dead Can Dance is that they have a high degree of diversity in style and mood, shifting between so many different cultures.

On the topic of lyrics vs. non-lyrics, I support both. I know most people really oppose non-lyrics, because lyrics are distracting to the written word of the game (or in real life game, distracts when the players start singing). If that were true, why do they use songs in movies or TV series that have lyrics? They use it to enhance the emotion of a scene. I plan on using a lyrical song that I think sums up the mood of a situation in my flagship game here pretty soon, and I think it's overall better than anything I could have used non-lyrically. Overall, I think it just comes down to laziness when people don't want to use non-lyrical songs, with a side of pretension. Use what works. If a scene calls for good travel music, you can use Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, or Nobuo Uematsu, or you can use Led Zeppelin, Dead Can Dance, or The Killers in the same capacity. But you can ruin a scene by picking the wrong song just as easily.

That's my take, anyway.
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
/ing fiction from reality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13883
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
I saw her about five or six years ago in Boulder and she was pretty amazing. One of the best concerts I ever went to. I mentioned her instead of Dead Can Dance, because you can pretty clearly get away with using her as nonlyrical music, whereas Dead Can Dance has more lyrics that are actually words (and also more influence from different musical cultures, as you mentioned). I actually don't like her music from Gladiator as much as some other stuff, which is a bit ironic as what better source for an RPG. It just seems like she tones it down a bit for movie music, but maybe that's just me.

If lyrical music is on the table, I'm thinking and I'm pretty sure I can even find one without a train reference.Johnny Cash has a lot of good songs for a prisoners adventure...
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 07:02 PM
of flesh

Tools
User Statistics
Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound Quarterpound
Damn, thanks for saying Lustmord! That's some fantastic stuff!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
Sadly, there appears to have been a purge of Lustmord stuff on YouTube as of late, I think he's getting after people who post his music.

Of late, and as a resource, I'd suggest any and everyone listen to the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks, namely from the series and strongest with Seasons 1-3. The miniseries isn't by the same guy, and I haven't had a chance to explore Razor or the other series yet.

It's incredibly diverse stuff, and is suitable for just about any game, even the lyrical stuff.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM
of flesh

Tools
User Statistics
I've been using Bear McCreary stuff for a while. I noticed the Lustmord purge, too, and was saddened by it. I'll try and find it in other places.
Closed Thread