Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Cato
My Pet Project - Elder Scrolls d20

I have always been in love with the Elder Scrolls games - or at least I've tremendously enjoyed playing Morrowind while hopelessly looking for complete and functioning copies of the older games in my surroundings and an old computer to play them on - more or less - and been in love with the setting - and so ever since I truly began to understand the mechanics of DnD an aspiration of mine has been to adjust the rules of the game we all know and love to the setting usually known as Elder Scrolls - and lately I've begun actually trying to make that dream come true. Some people have told me that this has already been done, some people tell me that the project is too large, but **** them - we live, we die, we only get one chance at everything, and if I want to do this thing than do it I shall!

*clears sweat off of brow*

Naturally I'm a bit anxious, now that I'm about to unveil a near-complete aspect of this whole affair of mine - so I'll just be quick about describing the few tidbits that you maybe will need to know about all of this.

First off - I'm doing this pretty simply - I don't waltz around the porridge (as we say here in Norway), making a lot of new classes - apart from the Prestige classes that will probably spawn off this whole thing later, many of the classes will be present in this setting as well, if perhaps under different names and with a few changes. Arcane casters and divine casters will still be arcane casters and divine casters, but since there's literally only one kind of Magick in this world I'm grasping at, they won't officially be counted as casters of different kinds of magicka - in fact, with my ever increasing library of .pdf rulebooks I'm hoping for a game where every can play whatever class they want - what with the Elder Scrolls games' tagline being centered somewhere around Choice, I'm trying to keep it that way.

However, there won't be as many races to choose from as there usually are in DnD games. At least not to begin with. System-wise, the races is what I have focused on - and I shall present them shortly - I have reproduced all of the player races as correctly as possible (or so I like to think) apart from the Khajiit - due to this race's innate variety I shall wait with customizing this until someone - if any - feels like playing a certain breed of the Cat-folk of Elsweyr.

Keep in mind that I have created these at around a +1 to +2 level - I appreciate feedback regarding how I can fine-tune them to a neat +1 level, but most of all - if you have any experience with the setting and perhaps if I'm really lucky your knowledge of Tamrielic Lore - I would like to know what you think of the job I've done on converting them.

Without further ado, I present you the races:

Quote:
Imperial: Natives of the civilized, cosmopolitan province of Cyrodiil, the Imperials are well-educated and well-spoken. Though physically less imposing than the other races, the Imperials have proved to be shrewd diplomats and traders.

-+2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 con
-Medium size.
-Base speed: 30 feet.
-+2 skill bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information checks: Imperials can be very persuasive when they want.
-+2 on any Knowledge skill they have at least 1 point in at 1st level.
-"Emperor's Voice": 1/day: Charm person as a 1st-level caster. Gained upon reaching level 10: 1/day: Command as a 1st-level caster. DC in both cases is 10 + Spell Level + Cha modifier.
-Automatic Languages: Tamrielic.
-Favored class: Any.

Breton: Hailing from the High Rock province, these are humans with faint traces of Elven Blood, thus feeling an inborn, instinctive bond with the forces of Magicka and the supernatural. They have an innate grasp of spellcraft, enchantments, and alchemical processes alike, and every Breton can boast of at least some resistance towards destructive and dominative magical energies. They are, like the Imperials, not known for their physical prowess.

-Medium size.
-+2 racial skill bonus on Spellcraft, Craft (Alchemy), and Use Magic Device.
-Spell Resistance: Character HD/class levels + 5.
-Favored Class: Sorcerer.

Nord: The citizens of Skyrim are a tall and fair-haired people, aggressive in war, industrious and enterprising in trade and exploration. Skilled sailors, Nords can be found in seaports and settlements along all the coasts and rivers of Tamriel. Strong, willful, and hardy, Nords are famous for their resistance to cold, even magical frost. Violence is a common and accepted part of Nordic culture; they cheerfully face battle with an ecstatic frenzy that shocks and appals their enemies. That having been said, they're also not excactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

-+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int.
-Medium size.
-+4 skill bonus on Profession (Sailor), assuming that they have at least one point invested in it at 1st level.
-Energy Resistance 5 against Cold.
-+10 on Fortitude saving throws against exposure to cold weather.
-Automatic Languages: Tamrielic, Nordic.
-Favored class: Barbarian.

Redguard: The most naturally talented warriors in all of Tamriel, the dark-skinned wiry-haired Redguards of Hammerfell seem born to battle, though their pride and fierce independence of spirit makes them more suitable as scouts or skirmishers, or maybe as free-ranging adventurers than as rank-and-file soldiers. They are naturally quick and tough.

-+2 Dex, +2 Con.
-Medium Size.
-Base Speed: 40 feet.
-Martial Weapons Profiency: A Redguard is proficient with all forms of standard weaponry.
-+2 Will bonus.
-+2 on Fortitude saving throws against poison or disease.
-Bonus feat: Run.
-Favored Class: Fighter.

******************************************'

Dunmer: Dark Elves are the dark-skinned Elven peoples of the Eastern Empire. "Dark" is variously understood to mean "dark-skinned," "gloomy," and "ill-favored by fate." The Dunmer and their national character embrace these various connotations with enthusiasm. The dark-skinned, red-eyed Dark Elves combine powerful intellect with strong and agile physiques, producing superior warriors and sorcerers. On the battlefield, Dark Elves are noted for their skilled and balanced integration of swordsmen, marksmen, and war wizards. In character, they are grim, aloof, and reserved, distrusting and disdainful of other races.

-+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha: Dunmer are light in body and even brighter in mind. Not very charming, though.
-Medium Size.
-Base Speed: 30 feet.
--4 penalty on all Charisma-related checks apart from Intimidate this increases to -8 for Cha-related checks with non-Mer. The Dunmer are notorious for their hostility towards those not of their kind.
-+4 on all Charisma-related checks with members of the same Great House or Ashlander Tribe this stacks with the penalty the same bonus increases to +6 when dealing with Dunmer of same House or Tribe of lower rank.
-Automatic Languages: Tamrielic, Dunmer.
-Favored Class: Any.

Altmer: In Imperial speech, the haughty, tall, golden-skinned peoples of Summerset Isle are called "High Elves," but they call themselves the "Altmer," or the "Cultured People." The High Elves confidently consider themselves, with some justice, as the most civilized culture of Tamriel; the common tongue of the Empire, Tamrielic, is based on Altmer speech and writing, and most of the Empire's arts, crafts, and sciences are derived from High Elven traditions. However, the High Elf's smug self-assurance of his superiority can be hard to bear for those of other races. Deft, intelligent, and strong-willed, High Elves are often gifted in the arcane arts, and High Elves boast that their sublime physical natures make them far more resistant to disease than the "lesser races."

--2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Con, +6 Int, -2 Cha. The Altmer are weak in flesh and arrogance is their signature, but no one would be so foolish as to call an Altmer a fool.
-Medium Size.
-Base Speed: 25 feet.
-+2 Caster level: An Altmer is counted as a spellcaster of two levels higher than his levels for all variables depending on caster level including caster level checks, damage rolls, etc. - in the first, and only the first spellcaster class he or she takes a level in. Altmer are known for their control over the malevolent force otherwise known as Magicka.
-+2 racial skill bonus on Knowledge (Magicka) and Spellcraft.
-+2 Fortitude save vs. Disease. The Altmer are resistant to diseases that attach themselves to the lesser races.
Automatic Languages: Tamrielic, Altmer.
Favored Class: Wizard.

Bosmer: The Wood Elves are the various barbarian Elven clanfolk of the Western Valenwood forests. In the Empire, they are collectively referred to as "Wood Elves," but "Bosmer," or "the Tree-Sap People," is what they call themselves. "Tree-Sap" suggests the wild vitality and youthful energy of Wood Elves, in contrast with their more dour cousins, the Altmer and Dunmer. These country cousins of the High Elves and Dark Elves are nimble and quick in body and wit, and because of their curious natures and natural agility, Wood Elves are especially suitable as scouts, agents, and thieves. But most of all, the Wood Elves are known for their skills with bows; there are no finer archers in all of Tamriel.

-+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. Bosmer are quick creatures, but many tend to find them a tad annoying.
-Medium Size.
-Base Speed: 35 feet.
-High Shot: As many times per day as character level a Bosmer can reroll a failed ranged attack roll with a bow the Bosmer must accept the new roll regardless of the result, and he or she cannot reroll twice on the same attack.
-Amazing Shot: Whenever the Bosmer shoots past his or her bow's range increment, he receives a damage bonus equal to the penalty gotten from shooting past the range increment.
-+2 on Climb, Knowledge (Nature), and Survival.
-Automatic Languages: Tamrielic, Bosmer.
-Favored Class: Ranger.

Orc: The sophisticated barbarian beast peoples of the Wrothgarian and Dragontail Mountains are noted for their unshakable courage in war and their unflinching endurance in the face of hardships. While they have been feared and reviled in the Empire previously they have slowly gained some acceptance throughout the lands of Tamriel. Orcish armorers are renowned for their craftsmanship, and Orcs' skill in war is rarely denied.

-+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha.
-Medium Size.
-Bonus Feat: An orc may select one extra feat from the Fighter's bonus feat table.
-+2 Bonus on any Craft skills applying to the creation of weaponry or armory, provided that there's at least 1 point in the relevant skill at 1st level.
-+2 Bonus on Intimidate checks against non-Orcs.
-+2 Will bonus. Applies only during combat against recognizable foes. Stacks with similar bonuses.
-Automatic Languages: Common, Orc.
-Favored Class: Fighter/Barbarian - whenever an orc gains one level in either one of these the other is never counted as a favored class.

Argonian: The reptilian humanoids of Black Marsh, shrouded in mystery and stigma as they are, few are ever seen outside of Argonia (what the elves call Black Marsh) apart from a relatively intelligent strain known as the hist. Their calm, unmoving faces does not show off the intelligence that they're - sadly - not known for. However, all argonians - hist even more so - can all be extra-ordinarily exceptional individuals, and they make equally good warriors as they make sneaks and mages. While the knowledge gained from defending the land's borders for centuries does not excactly pass down the generations along with the blood, among warriors Argonians are known for being expert guerrilla tacticians, masters of exploiting weaknesses and strengths alike - and few argonians ever do anything to change that image.

-+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha. The Argonians are canny people, but their mindsets take some time getting used to the thoughts of Men and Mer.
-Medium Size.
-+4 on Swim checks. Argonians are natural swimmers.
-Natural weapons: 2 claws (1d4).
-+6 on Fortitude checks against disease and poisons. The denizens of the Black Marsh are not as vulnerable to its dangers as men and mer are.
-Special quality: Hold Breath (see Lizardfolk, Monster Manual page 169).
-Automatic languages: Common, Argonian.
-Favored Class: Any, though many Argonians choose to become Rangers or Scouts.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Muffin-of-Doom
i think you are very ambitious in this matter, and i wish you good luck. I can attempt to help you if need be. Simply let me know on any sort of assistance you requiere and i'll do my best to aid you. But keep in mind that The Elder Scrolls is a lisenced product and they may not take kindly to you using their name withought their permission first. pardon any spelling errors, it's late.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Spelling
Dude, I think making a elder scrolls d20 would be asome. I played the elder scrolls 3: morrowind game of the year edition even today. I have read every book in the game, ive talked to every npc, been in every location, and have been able to get not only all the artifacts, but my favorite wood elf assassin made it to level 123. So, I basicly have all the know-how about this game. So if you need help with ANYTHING about it, ask me, and I shall help. I wish you luck my freind. btw, please save a opening for me when you start it. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Mr. Hellboy
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Muffin-of-Doom
Knowledge of the game itself would be helpful... alot!
But knowing how to balance the race's and such helps just as much, if not more in some cases.
At first glance i'd have to say that some of the race's need to be tuned down a bit first.

If you have anythings else concerning a TES d20, Cato, i suggest you post it.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
loser0ll loser0ll
Yeah, several races are clearly overpowered compared with others. Plus you left out alignments. Balance wise, converting casters will be very difficult... basicly, you risk casters being over-powered by gaining too much spell capability flexibility or not strong enough. You could just rewrite the whole spell selection, but I doubt that's something many people wanna do. I'm sure a reasonable system could be established though, with a little effort.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Muffin-of-Doom
To make it true to TES, you would have to make spells and possiably devise a system for creating their own spells. The easy parts are the common races, the monsters and the lands. i think the armor and weapons would be relativly easy but could take some time. the spells would be the most time consuming and the hardest.

I'm already working on my own campaign setting, but i can help on this if others are willing.

But don't forget, TES is a licensed product and I'm posative bethesda doesn't want us going all willy nilly with it.

Last edited by Muffin-of-Doom; 04-29-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 105
loser0ll loser0ll
*cough*
You could use the rules for developing spells provided in the rules of DnD. They include the limits on Damage Dice, area, etc... not complete, but something to build from. Armor wouldn't be too complex, just make Max Dex and such stackable then adjust some numbers.
*cough*
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Muffin-of-Doom
Wow, you must really have something cought in your throught...
...anyway! Yes there is a method of developing spells already. But the most time consuming part would be making the actual spells. I.E. Recall, warp, Bind curas, ect. you'd need to set their spell level, effect, ect. other then that, this would be relativly easy.

About the armor, it simply involvs determinint the statistics for the several types of armor included in TES, like chitin, deadric, glass, ect But that isn't hard.

Don't forget, it's a licensed product. infact, i may send an e-mail to one of the editors requesting permission to work on a dnd variant of it. But only if other people are willing to help out.

like i said, i have my own campaign setting to worry about.

cato started a great thing here, lets see what we can do.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Spelling
Well, I asked the owners of the Legend of Dragoon video game, which is a liscensed pro. (same as TES) and they said yes, so long as you dont charge people to play and you make it well known that its just a copy or a uniffical version. So the owners of TES houldnt be much different.

Cheers,
Mr. Hellboy

Last edited by Spelling; 05-01-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Muffin-of-Doom
true, but i know of a simmilar situation. one of my friends wanted to create a mod for NwN that took place around the TES universe, specificaly morrowind. he was doing this so that you could essentialy play morrowind as multiplayer but with the NWN rule set. they said no.

We'll see.

it seems cato doesn't ahve anything to say in the matter though.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Cato
Replies?! Azura be praised! I had lost hope! See, when no one replied, I stopped watching this thread and...

Seriously, though, thanks for the feedback. Though the lack of it before has made me put the work on this on hiatus. Like I said in the first post - initially there would be a lot of things that would not be truthfully converted. Seeing interest, though... awesome! Thank you!

@Copyright and such: Yes, I know that ES is licensed. I am not thinking of going commercial with this. So things should turn out fine, like Spelling said.

@Armor: Right. Now. Remember that there are a lot of areas outside of the Morrowind province. That having been said... materials such as glass and chitin would probably be treated as only that - materials. Chitin items would weigh, say, one quarter of their ordinary weight, be limited to slashing and piercing weapons (what with chitin being so light), and have quite low durability. Glass could perhaps be something like this: always masterwork, low hit points yet high hardness, same weight, can't really think of anything else. Daedra items would require more work than that; though double weight, always MW, increased damage are always suggestions. All of this could need more work, when I think about it.

@Spells: Ah! This will be interesting!

The first thing that popped into my mind was the Wizard and the Familiar's Familiar. Those things are never seen in Tamriel, so those had to be ruled out. Until now I thought that removing that feature from the classes would do, but now... spellcasters will need to be completely revamped. Though one idea could be to do something about the Psion, work out those Psion Paths (or whatever they are called), and essentially deal with Tamrielic magic as Psionics, ruling out DnD magick altogether. Of course, the Psychic Warrior's (henceforth to be known as the Battlemage) spell list would have to be redone, and a Nightblade would have to be made. But all in due time.

Also, soulgems! An integral part to the games that cannot be left out! Listen to this, and tell me what you think:

Since they are required in adding magickal effects to equipment, one suggestion could be to equal various grades of Soulgems to the enchantments - in other words, a Least Soulgem can only be used for a +1 Enchantment, while a Greater Soulgem would perhaps be enough for +4 and above. These limits could be raised with feats, and to reach the +10, legendary items like Azura's Star would have to be found. And the souls of the creatures slain would replace some of, if not all, of the XP required in the item creation.

As for the races... yes, they DO need a lot more work. Although I don't think that putting allignment requirements on them aside from the "Usually [allignment]" found in Monster Manuals and such would be prudent.

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in setting up an official team for this project? Just an idea that popped into my head just now.

Last edited by Cato; 05-01-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Spelling
Well, I might be able to help out. Im going to sink my teeth into this and work on it for about a week. When im done, ill send you the rules ive gotten by then. But till then, here are my opinions;

First: Forget everything you know about dnd. EVERYTHING. Both games will not mix, but it is not impossible to make TES a roleplaying game. Just forget feats, redo the skills, abilities, advancement guidelines, and exp rules.

Second: I was thinking of making a skill system very near the games, basicly, ill be throwing out the dnd rules for attacks and more, and making every based on skills, even attacks and spells. For short, everything should be used as a percentile skill check with a dc of 100. Your roll is 1d100+your ranks in the skill you are using. For example, if you have 30 ranks in Evocation, your roll would be 1d100+30 against a dc of 100. Of course, even in the game, having 40 or less in a skill makes it very hard to use that skill, which should be the same case in this game.

Third: Spells and mana. Im not sure how the spell making and levels are going to work, but I think spells per day has been solved. I think you should use the games version of abilities. Meaning no more modifiers for skills, ect. Remmeber how the game did it? For every 10 points of endurance you have, you gain 1 hp per level, up to 10 a level. And mana was equal to your character intellegence? Same here. The characters should have mana equal to their intellegence. But here comes the twister, since spellcasting is based on skill levels of that type of spell (evocation, illision, enchantment, ect.), just because they have alot of intellengence doesnt mean they can use the spells at all! When theirs a 90% chance of spell failure, why learn any spells? :biggrin: Thats twisted with a hint of evil on the side.

And finally, fourth: As stated above, no feats. Since all abilities will be focues on skills, whats the point of feats? I mean, by the time you reach level 60, all your skills are going to be maxed out anyway and your a demi-god in your own right with 600+ hp and the ability to kill things with one hit, so who cares about a few losy feats right? And I almost forgot to add, Level adjustment. You remember how the game had it? Every 10 major or minor skill levels you gain, you gain 1 exp point. Once you reach 10 exp, you level up. And when you level up, you gain bonuses to up to 3 abilities (the abilities were Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Speed, Intellegence, Wisdom, Personality and Luck). I think that everytime a player levels up, they should roll a 4d5, and throw out the lowest and use the other 3 to determine what bonuses you get to your three selected abilities. Brillant hu?

If you like my thoughts so far, please say so. I going to play the game for about 10 minutes tonight to get more famaliar with the games stuff again, and im going to start construction on rules based around these things, give them to you, and see if they suit your fancy. If you dont like the rules, ill start anew. What do you think?

Cheers,
Mr. Hellboy
Old 05-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Avenger
Ok one question
Wheres the Khajit?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Cato
But is a complete PC-to-paper conversion of the ES games necessary? I'm not saying that your ideas are bad, but they are geared towards a complete transition of the ES games system rather than merely a conversion from one format to another. Using the skeleton of an existing system would be much easier than that, not to mention the broader appeal the game would eventually get - I chose to work with the d20 system because that's the system I am familiar with.

Just for the record - what you're describing looks an awful lot like the BRP system, what with all the d100 rolls. That is also a good option in the ways of systems to work with, though the thing called magicka would still need a lot of work, if not more. Personally, however, I prefer the d20 system.

EDIT: As for the Khajiit.... see, there are over twenty breeds of them. Or was there forty? Either way, there are a lot, ranging from the khajiiti seen in the Morrowind games to the ones seen in the old games (these are almost elven in appearance, for the record), to huge panther-men to intelligent semi-housecats - these are some of the ones I've read about and that I'm sure of. Though there's no way in hell they will all be taken care of, I do want to provide players with more than one khajiiti alternative. And that's for later.

Last edited by Cato; 05-03-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Spelling
Quote:
But is a complete PC-to-paper conversion of the ES games necessary?
If you didnt, it wouldnt be much like TES. First off, games like resident evil, halo, and others like them, yes, they can easily be formed into a dnd and/or d20 rules setting. But ive been playing the game and have read online on a bunch of TES fan sites, and from what ive gathered, d20 and TES wouldnt really go together without an entire make-over. Its faster to build from the ground up what the game already gives you. Well, ill still keep making the rules im working on, seeing as I have it nearly 3/10 done, might as well finish it for my own reasons. Ill show them to you, and you take use them if you want, or use them as a few helpful tips.

Cheers,
Mr. Hellboy
Closed Thread