Notices

Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Holy Undead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Deathless One
Optimize this build?

Anyone have any suggestions to help optimize this build? Any and all suggestions would be welcome, but I need to limit myself to the books I own. Thanks!

Books I own: PHB, PHB II, DMG, MM I, MM II, Completes (all) and their 3.0 counterparts (sword and fist, tome and blood, etc), Libris Mortis, BoVD, Savage Species, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon , Heroes of Horror, and Psionics Handbook

The build: Human: Warmage 5 (CArc) / Spell Thief 1 (CAdv) / Fiend-blooded 9 (HoH) / Spellwarp Sniper 5 (CS)

1) Warmage 1, Feats: Point blank shot*, Blood calls to blood*
2) Warmage 2
3) Warmage 3, Feat: Eschew Materials*
4) Warmage 4
5) Warmage 5
6) Spellthief 1**, Feat: Master Spellthief***
7) Fiend-Blooded 1
8) Fiend-blooded 2
9) Fiend-blooded 3, Feat: Fiery Burst (reserve)
10) Spellwarp Sniper 1
11) Spellwarp Sniper 2
12) Spellwarp Sniper 3, Feat: Arcane Disciple: Competative Domain
13) Spellwarp Sniper 4
14) Spellwarp Sniper 5
15) Fiend-blooded 4, Feat: Weapon Focus (Rays)
16) Fiend-bloodied 5
17) Fiend-blooded 6
18) Fiend-blooded 7, Feat: Maximize Spell
19) Fiend-blooded 8
20) Fiend-blooded 9

*=feats required for prestiges
**=need 1d6 sneak damage to qualify for Spellwarp Sniper
***=makes good use of the loss of 1 caster level

Last edited by Deathless One; 12-13-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Holy Undead

Tools
User Statistics
Deathless One
~Bump~

Anyone at all?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Quintessential Halfling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3282
KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi KithKunabi
No. But I will say that I disagree with your signature.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Walkin' on Watermellons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4587
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
I presume you are trying to make a sneak attack archer with spells of some sort? I don't have Heroes of Horror, but Spellwarp Sniper, Spellthief, and Warmage are all good for Archer Styled builds. It looks solid for the concept, if that is what you are trying to do.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Holy Undead

Tools
User Statistics
Deathless One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KithKunabi
No. But I will say that I disagree with your signature.
Sorry to hear that. I won't open this thread to arguements by trying to clarify my signature (which is hard to do given the limited space :P) but thanks for your opinion. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE2JRH
I presume you are trying to make a sneak attack archer with spells of some sort? I don't have Heroes of Horror, but Spellwarp Sniper, Spellthief, and Warmage are all good for Archer Styled builds. It looks solid for the concept, if that is what you are trying to do.
Well, the sneak attacking is only second choice, since (for some reason) you need sneak attack to qualify for Spellwarp sniper. Added bonus, is all I see.

Basically, I am taking Spellwarp sniper for one reason. Warmages has an obscene amount of single tagert/small area effect spells that require a reflex saving throw for half damage. Spellwarp snipers can transform those area of effect spells into rays, that when they hit, do not allow reflex saves for half damage. Maximize and Empower come in useful then!

Spellthief for stealing nifty spells and then shooting them right back at the enemy for no saves! Yes!

Fiend-blooded is similar to Dragon Disciple, but gives the Half-fiendish template over 10 levels. Differences: 4 times during progression, may learn any fire, necromancy, enchantment or illusion spell (even outside your normal spell lists); elemental resistances x4 5/-; lvl 1-9 full casting progression while lvl 10 completes half-fiendish template; familiar gains fiendish template.

Initally, I was going to go with Sorcerer as base class, to get Infernal Heritage and Infernal Howl, but feats were in short supply. Besides, Warmages get armor prof and no spell failure with light/medium armor
Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Walkin' on Watermellons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4587
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
Quote:
Differences: 4 times during progression, may learn any fire, necromancy, enchantment or illusion spell (even outside your normal spell lists)
Good, you need the versatility

Looks solid, don't see any obvious problems. Aside from the fact you are a warmage, which are basically good at one thing - direct damage (which often isn't as good as crowd control/debuff/save or die, but you do get a few of those too I guess).

Losing two caster levels is also kind of scary, but half fiend is pretty useful. You should be fine, for a warmage
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4089
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
You can always get caster levels back with Practised Caster.

-me
Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Holy Undead

Tools
User Statistics
Deathless One
Quote:
You can always get caster levels back with Practised Caster.
True, very true. At the moment, the build I have doesnt reach half-fiend status until lvl 21, so I only end up loosing 1 caster level during the course of the build. I think the spellthief class in conjuction with the Master Spellthief feat gives me much more bang for my buck. Practised spellcaster isnt really an option until I have 3+ non-caster levels in my build.

'But you loose a caster level!' Oops, just broke 1st rule of optimizing. *shrug* Oh well, I can steal spells from other people and then turn around and nail them with their own spells. Heck, in a fight with other mages, I could potential steal their spells and end the fight without even using mine.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM
That was a poor decision.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
ForceofGreed ForceofGreed ForceofGreed ForceofGreed
Just get an item with antimagic aura on it. Then sit in the radius when playing other mages. You can still steal their spells, and have them for when you leave the radius XD
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4089
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
I think stealing spells is a spell-like or supernatural ability, so it wouldn't work in an anti-magic field.

-me
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Holy Undead

Tools
User Statistics
Deathless One
I thought the same thing, but I didnt have my books in front of me. I will check when I get home. You'd think it would be a Spell-like or supernatural ability though...
Old 12-13-2007, 10:41 PM
*hums*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 143
Sorator Sorator
I checked; it's a supernatural ability.

Remember that you only lose 1 caster level, from the fiend-blooded class level 10 (which you can't take for a while yet anyways). Master Spellthief lets you regain that CL you "lost" when you took a level of Spellthief; doesn't count for spells per day but it's better than a complete loss. Unless you lost another CL elsewhere?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Lilloh
New guy

The build HUman: Warmage (CArc)/Rogue/Spellwarp Sniper (CS)

1) Rogue 1, Feats: Point blank shot*, Precise Shot
2) Warmage 1
3) Warmage 2, Feat: Spell Thematics: Bow & Arrow
4) Warmage 3
5) Warmage 4
6) Warmage 5, Feat: Extra Edge
7) Warmage 6
8) Spellwarp Sniper 1
9) Spellwarp Sniper 2, Feat: Weapon Focus (Rays)
10) Spellwarp Sniper 3 (Bonus Feat: Deadeye Shot)
11) Spellwarp Sniper 4
12) Spellwarp Sniper 5, Feat: Fiery Burst (reserve)
13) Warmage 7
14) Warmage 8
15) Warmage 9, Feat: Weapon Specilazation (ray)
16) Warmage 10
17) Warmage 11
18) Warmage 12, Feat: Maximize Spell / improved critical (ray)
19) Warmage 13
20) Warmage 14

This character is like an arcane archer hurling his spells through his bow - Spell thematics for flavour (thus straight rogue for martial prof: short bow).
And at low levels it is cool to just let him fling those arrows, when he runs out of spells.
You could go Spellthief and make your 3lvl feat Improved Initiative. Or keep: Blood calls to blood & Eschew Materials for Fiend-blooded.
Deadeye Shot is a must

If you max out int, your spells will have a dmg bonus of +4 (2nd level), +6 (6th level) +7 (14th level)
I've made such a character, only he was half-elf ('cause I like the Arcane Archer, though he sucks!)

Any suggestions to Advanced leraning (spell choices) ???
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
If it swells, ride it

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 240
Asztirejan Asztirejan Asztirejan
I'd have to say first of all that I don't think Spell Thematics should ever come up in an optimization build.