RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: I-M > Kruken a' Thalack: Tales from Corae > Chapters 1-5
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
Part 2: Before the Mast (Game Thread)

Everyone soon falls into useful work on-board the ship. When the sun finally vanishes below the horizon, Brie climbs down from her perch, and, clutching the fun little implement tightly (but not enough to break it) heads for the bunk-room. Jared and Jesse, deprived of light, decide to call it a night and likewise retire.

Luthrin, Grunk, and Chantre are surprised when Togmav ceases his directing, muttering, and gesturing, and gathers up his lantern, which is beginning to burn low. "Gotta sleep. Done for now. Good-night." He vanishes toward one of the bunk-rooms. The three exchange a glance (one shared often over the hours of work under Togmav), shrug, and similarly retire.

For Jesse, Grunk, Luthrin, Chantre, Jared, and Brie, the hours between their retiring and the night shift clomping down from the deck to wake their replacements feel like five seconds. Reluctantly, the six, along with the rest of the day shift, move to resume the work that they left off the previous night, after a quick breakfast.

Brie climbs up the mast to the observation platform, and amuses herself watching the crew go about their business, remembering to check the horizon every few minutes.

Within a few hours, Luthrin, Grunk, and Chantre, at Togmav's ministrations, have the last of the cargo organized, stacked, and tied down. Just as they move toward the ladder to head back up to the deck, Togmav points up to the deck above. "Not done. Got more to do. Gotta tally up the boxes in the upper hold. C'mon now." Togmav maneuvers around the two larger beings and scuttles up the ladder one level, then beckons from there to Luthrin, Grunk, and Chantre to follow. Immediately, Togmav's charges hear him resume his mumbling.

Jared and Jesse, after about the same amount of time, are confident that the ballista is ready for a test firing. The problem that they notice is, as they off the stern of the ship at the water extending to the horizon, what is there to shoot at?
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--

Last edited by Aeternis; 11-21-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Grammar
  #2  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
FoggyKnight's Avatar
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight is offline
Guard on Duty
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2014
RPXP: 13794
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
Posts: 13,875
Brie lowers the spyglass and rubs her eyes. Looking down, she notices that Jared and Jesse made good time in getting the ballista ready. Scanning the horizon again, she notices nothing out of the ordinary, just the same sun and blue water from horizon to horizon. The ship from the previous day had disappeared, veering off to a different course shortly after dusk, and she hadn't seen it since. What are they going to shoot at? The only thing that will keep the bolt from going overboard is ... shooting up. Quickly, Brie scoots around to the other side from the ballista, putting the mast between her and the archers. Though she doubts either of them will put her bright orange and tan cloak in their crossbars, she doesn't want to chance it.

At the same time, she sees Luthrin, Grunk, and Chantre come up, stretching muscles and limbs. She grins, glad that she was able to get eagle duty today. Placing the spyglass back up to her eye again, she scans the horizon, the novelty of the spyglass still keeping her going. Where's all the fish?

OOCSpot Check:
Dice Roll:
(as this is an older post, these rolls are interpreted by the older (more basic) dice roller code)
d20: 19
  #3  
Old 11-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
Good roll... But remember what I said about spot rolls a few posts back? Sorry looks like, that 19 got wasted.
OODMThe time now is about 11:00 AM. Okay, so we only jumped forward about 19 hours. I'm done fiddling with the Accelerator, effective immediately.

All right, even I'm getting tired of the out-of-hand metaphor at this point.
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--
  #4  
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Turtler7's Avatar
Turtler7 Turtler7 is offline
Very Crazy Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-06-2013
RPXP: 553
Turtler7 Turtler7 Turtler7 Turtler7 Turtler7 Turtler7
Posts: 973
Jesse and Jared discuss what to use for a target for a bit before both of them stop talking and try to brainstorm a solution... What floats? Blubbered animals float, air floats, barrels float... Barrels are too hard of a target to start with. What else floats?... A minute goes past before Jesse breaks the silence, "I've got it! Come with me." She does not explain her idea to Jared and does not even seem to realize that she just gave a fairly firm command to a man twice her age. Oblivious to what Jared's reaction is, the excited young woman quickly heads below decks to find someone working in a storage hold. The ship floats. Barrels float. So wood floats. The ship should have wood around for repairs while at sea. Should be plenty of extra wood we can use to rig up a target.

OOC:Her logic for wood floating is flawed. But what wood they have for ship repairs probably is not that dense. Unless it is for the sides that are supposed to resist damage and use really dense wood? In your court, Aeternis.
__________________
DM: "Trying to escape the beholder, you run into the next room. Inside the room, you see a hurdle with a hoop behind it."
Player: "I jump over the hurdle and through the hoop, what happens?"
DM: "Nothing. I just wanted to see if you would do it."
  #5  
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
FoggyKnight's Avatar
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight is offline
Guard on Duty
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2014
RPXP: 13794
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
Posts: 13,875
Climbing down, Brie hurries to find the alpha of this watch, the Captain or the first mate. Waiting until noticed, she makes her report: [/B]"I saw two sails in front of us just before I came down. They are still far away though."[/B]
  #6  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
Brie catches the captain in the watch-house and relays her message. Mozua nods. "All right. Shouldn't be a problem, but you should keep an eye on them anyway. Let me know if things change or you see something new. By the way, if you yell loudly from up there, you can be heard on the deck. Saves you the trouble of climbing all the way back down." Mozua shrugs.
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--
  #7  
Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Berek's Avatar
Berek Berek is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-26-2009
RPXP: 0
Berek
Posts: 635
Tired of pushing boxes all morning, Luthrin heads to the kitchen, looking for Ank to try and get some food. "What's on the menu today?"
  #8  
Old 11-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
As Luthrin enters the good-smelling kitchen, Ank looks up from a pot over the cook-fire. "Eh, fer lunch? Almowst dun. As soon as dem rats in dere stop squirmin..." Ank notices Luthrin's disgusted look and bursts out laughing. "Gotcha, dinnay? Naah, was kiddun. Onyon soup s'almost done, gimme a bit." Ank shoos Luthrin out of the kitchen. Once he's back out on deck, Luthrin notices Brie entering the watch-house and sees her speaking to the captain through the window.
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--
  #9  
Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
FoggyKnight's Avatar
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight is offline
Guard on Duty
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2014
RPXP: 13794
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
Posts: 13,875
Brie nods. Heading back to the aft mast, she squirrels her way back up to the platform. Only then does she sigh as her stomach starts to make gurgling noises. Placing the spyglass to her eye, she starts watching the two sails with the intent of a hawk watching a mouse.
  #10  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Berek's Avatar
Berek Berek is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-26-2009
RPXP: 0
Berek
Posts: 635
With nothing much to do while waiting for the food, Luthrin makes his way to the mast with the platform and shouts up to Brie. "Anything interesting happening?"
  #11  
Old 11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
Brie notices that the two sails are markedly larger (hence, closer) and she still cannot see a hull joining the two. However, she thinks they might be closer together than when she last looked at them.
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--
  #12  
Old 11-22-2008, 11:34 PM
FoggyKnight's Avatar
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight is offline
Guard on Duty
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2014
RPXP: 13794
FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight FoggyKnight
Posts: 13,875
Brie looks down, startling when an enormous pale face comes into view. Lowering the spyglass, she bellows back. "The sails are getting closer." I hope he doesn't continue to yell, I think I'll go mute if I have to yell down continually. If I lose my voice, maybe the captain will let me go get food. I hope there's more of that stew.
  #13  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Berek's Avatar
Berek Berek is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 03-26-2009
RPXP: 0
Berek
Posts: 635
Sails? Must be another ship out there. Luthrin looks around, checking to see if Cheko and his friends are hanging around nearby.
  #14  
Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Aeternis's Avatar
Aeternis Aeternis is offline
The Universe Awaits
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2014
RPXP: 13603
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Posts: 7,959
Cheko and his friends are indeed on deck (well, two of them are - the goblin is up in the rigging) but they don't seem to notice Luthrin as they are busy keeping the ship sailing. Now that Luthrin is looking around, he notices more activity now than there was yesterday.
__________________
--[Insatiable Horizon (Coming mid-August!)]--
--[
Kruken A'Thalack: Tales from Corae]--

--[Shattered Inheritance]--
  #15  
Old 11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Admin Chuck's Avatar
Admin Chuck Admin Chuck is offline
Butter my Bread.


 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2014
RPXP: 32841
Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck
Posts: 16,774
Grunk works seemingly tirelessly in the holds. He never protests or seems upset by the labor of moving the crates, and goes about his work stoically and in silence.
__________________
Post of the Month! Go nominate someone!

Stress here, stress there, stress all over the place! Mind isn't in a good place for posting so I apologize for any delays.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2014, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB