Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4
intrados
Good race for druid

Is there any particular race which works particularly well with druid? There aren't any standard races with a wisdom bonus, right? Is there some playable monster with a wisdom bonus? Is there some other characteristic that makes a race well-suited to druidism? (3.5e)

Last edited by intrados; 04-05-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
FOR SCIENCE!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8575
Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera
Of the core races, humans work well. Elves fit thematically, though not so well mechanically. Dwarves and Gnomes actually both work very well mechanically (strange as that may sound), and so do halflings, to a lesser extent.

Of races from elsewhere, there are very few races with a wisdom bonus that don't have a level adjustment. Depending on the game, and whether or not LA buyoff is allowed, Aasimar may be a decent choice. Buomman, from the Planar Handbook, may be decent, although you have to invest a feat into being able to cast spells.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 244
ArcaneLizard ArcaneLizard ArcaneLizard
Assuming 3.5 here.
Lizardfolks actually have Druid as a favored class, but I don't know why exactly. They have bonuses to constitution and strenght, and can hold their breaths 4 times their constitution, plus other minor stuff that's really neat, but not really all that druidic to me.
But if you want a wisdom bonus that badly, simply choose a very old character. I read somewhere that there is a sub-race of kobold that gets to venerable without losing any phisical prowess.
Hello peoples. Sorry I've been away, and sorry I'll stay away. One of my grades was lost on a bureoucratic mishap, and I've been trying to fix it, to no avail. I'll try to catch up when that is fixed, assuming my characters still live by then. Sorry again.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
FOR SCIENCE!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8575
Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera Jondera
That would be the Dragonwrought Kobold... which are one of the most obscenely broken races around, as well as being best suited for Sorcerers.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Walkin' on Watermellons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4587
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
And thematically flavoured to sorcerers as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
Lizardfolk also qualify for Multi-attack in their natural forms, which is very handy for a druid with a strict DM.
If you're willing to get obscure, for a +1 LA you can play an Uldra (from Frostburn), gaining a bonus to wisdom and druid as a favoured class.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 875
TCSilvermane TCSilvermane TCSilvermane TCSilvermane TCSilvermane TCSilvermane TCSilvermane
You will probably never be able to get it, but the Anthromorphic Bat character from Savage Species has a +6 wisdom with no LA adjustment. Kinda ridiculous but meh :P I think its their favored class to, but I dont want to open it up right now.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Wandering The Forums...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 649
Bewildered Kobold Bewildered Kobold Bewildered Kobold Bewildered Kobold Bewildered Kobold Bewildered Kobold
If your wanting a race that fits thematically as a druid, I would suggest taking a look at the Killoren from Races of the Wild...
They have no ability bonus to their Wisdom, but their Nature's Might Racial Feature should be able to take affect in the druid's animal forms...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2 Ravage_mk2
You forget the Racial Hitdie on the Anthropomorphic or however you spell that Bat

I recall that template including racial hitdice. The balance of the template isn't exactly precise (the savage species book as a whole is a bit rough around the edges )
Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Magic Missile: Darkness!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2149
Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador Lormador
Small races are good for Druids- you can get a Dire Bat companion at 4th and ride it, for low-level flying that won't eat up your spells. 'Course you could just Wild Shape next level, but that won't last all day and you can't use ranged attacks from wild shape other than spells.

Just flying on the bat and slinging will get through some encounters with minimal resources expended.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 163
X-Codes X-Codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSilvermane View Post
You will probably never be able to get it, but the Anthromorphic Bat character from Savage Species has a +6 wisdom with no LA adjustment. Kinda ridiculous but meh :P I think its their favored class to, but I dont want to open it up right now.
Yes, it is. It's worth noting, however, that they have utterly pathetic physical stats and a really bad ground speed, so they're not very easily used until level 6ish when they get Wild Shape and can use it essentially all day.