OOC Out Of Character--TECHNICAL-- discussions - Page 49 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Eberron > KILLFEAR > CO Transdimensional Gestalt Fun
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1700
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
three things...

1. the blade barrier is akin to the blade barrier effect that chain golems produce. it is not a force effect. it is just an assload of chains creating a cone of destruction. If they were all reaer chains, then yes, it would effect the etheral, but it is not magical at all... its an ex effect.

2. Mindsight is an absolute lock on that thing's location. It is an outsider, and sounds like it is casting a spell. Blindsight does nothing better than what mindsight provides. it's exact nature is still unknown.

3. Well done, merging sul and aurok via WRT. Nice cinematics, as well.
Although I would love to just say you tumble in, scoop up deagan the limp (as in unconscious) It's gonna take a standard action to search for him (using search, of all things.. believe me, it's worth it.), then a standard action to pick him up (grapple check if he's actually awake.) THEN you can roll away.

Although I am allowing you guys a lot of free rein on initiative, I am adamant about action usage. it's easy to get caught up in the spirit of the isuals, and I love describing action in text... but we MUST adhere to appropriate game mechanics.
My corected course of action would be to tumble past the demon to the other side of the dagan crate pile, and search for him from that cover. then the following round, when sul is in control, he can spend an action scooping up deagan the limp, and hopping off to wherever you please Ninja-scroll style.

so, go ahead and refigure your movement, and both sul and aurok will need a rewrite.
in the future, if it seems like yer doing a lot during your turn, ask me before posting.

everyone else has a pretty good idea of what sul and aurok are gdoing now, so go ahead annd keep posting. sul and aurok will rework soon enough.

Being our first "official" combat, I think this is going rather moothly. a lot better than a lot of the RL table top combats I've mitigated. well done, all. keep it flowing.
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Surreal
Bah, I say we leave him buried. He's safer under there than out in the open. Sadly, this means I don't get to wedgie him

Up to you SW. I would rather not spend another two actions to dig the guy out (not when there are things trying to kill us). You have spring attack right? You could probably smack something and bound away (how about the warforged charger? it might be stunned if my thought trick took it out of commission)

Last edited by Surreal; Jun 7th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney Fil kearney
I see surreal online! TAG! yer i!
I paint sometimes too. My most recent work is on the cover of Explosive Runes #18.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
Up to you SW. I would rather not spend another two actions to dig the guy out (not when there are things trying to kill us). You have spring attack right? You could probably smack something and bound away (how about the warforged charger? it might be stunned if my thought trick took it out of commission)
Could definitely do that. In any case, I can;t post for a bit because I have to go for reservist physical training ( ;_; ). I'll think about it and post the actual action later tonight.

Last edited by Silent Wayfarer; Jun 7th, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
I've made some quick edits too; will change fully after you've done yours.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
I have a wacky idea. Fil mentioned that the blade is only fully solid when it is impaled into Aurok, right? Sooo... what if I did a Stormguard Warrior bull rush on the thing into the ocean?

*stab*
*Aurok looks down at the phantom sword sticking out of his gut*
"You think you bad? YOU THINK YOU BAD??!!"
*smacks the thing off into the pier*
"Silly bitch."
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
But how exactly would that be adjudicated in game? Do you ready an action to take the next hit and hold the blade in you? (and at low hp that's not really a good idea anyways) Are you trying to bull rush the blade itself rather than the wielder? Not saying it wouldn't be a cool thing to do, but I think it requires further clarification.

And Fil, I just wanted to clarify, but in this campaign there is no such things as incorporeality on the ethereal plane correct?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
in this campaign there is incorporeality in the etheral plane, but ghosts don't possess it. the M is very straight forward with the possession of physical strength in the etheral. a creature with the incorporeal descriptor can dwell on the etheral, but it would hve to get there on it'sown.

Sul could be incorporeal on the ethereal, but he would have to manifest on the material, then somhow travel directly to the etheral from the material while manifeting incorporeally.

a shade or shadow, or shadow mastiff... all incorporeal, and much more likely encountered in the edgeworld than on the prime material world. they have no substance as they are no matter where they are.
go to the MM and look up "ghost"-- the fighter ghost sample has a strength score. and the abilitiesdescriptions in the template provide strength bonuses while on the etheral.. but uses dex for touch attacks while on the material manifested.
ghost tempate is unique in that you are solid on the etheral until you choose to manifest. at which time, you"drop" from the ethereal into the material world, but you are incorporeal here.

we've touched on this subject a few times now... does this make it clear?

and regarding aurok's idea... I would allow a disarm while it is stuck in you... if you readied an action to disarm once you
ve been hit, suck it up and atepmt the disarm. it would pop from our belly and from the wielder's grip... becoming fair game for anyone to scurry after who's present on the ethereal plane. That could be sul if he prperly coordinated his ctions with aurok,or if he' on the etheral plane at the moment, then he could certaily use TK to flick the thing awa into the spirit ocean at the end of the spirit docks. Pretty amusing, really. *chuckle*

thanks for your flexibility, patience, and understanding. You all have characters that are a real pain in the butt... except zarzak. Celestine is real straight forward... when does he start granting wishes daily? *extra chuckle*
I think we're really ironing out a lot of peripheral issues in this fight. I'm glad it's not a really dangerous one, so you guys can feel relaxed while figuring this all out.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil kearney
we've touched on this subject a few times now... does this make it clear?
A bit better. Part of the confusion stems from the fact that our ethereal world isn't exactly the same as the D&D ethereal since our "border realm" (for lack of a better term) does contain land and buildings etc. I think I've got it now though. Thanks. I'm probably going to cut and paste some of this into the wiki for reference...
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
GOOD GOOD. THINK OF IT LIKE THE SHADOW PLANE... EVERYTHING IN THE REAL WORLD WITH ANY PERMANANECY APPEARS IN THE SHADOW PLANE. DRAGON MAGAZINE HAS A RADIANT PLANE TO CONTRAST THE PLANE OF SHADOW. IT IS SIMILARLY REPRESENTATIVE OF THE MATERIAL PLANE... THE SHADOW LOOKS AT THE NASY, SCARY, SECRETIVE PART OF WHAT REAILYT HOLS, WHILE THE PLANE OF RADIENCE SHOWCASES THE PERFCTION, BEAUTY AND BOUNTIFULNESS OF WHAT THE MATIERAL PANE HOLDS.
THE REAL ODD PART I THE NEUTRAL, ETHERAL PLANE, HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN IT.

oops.. I've been on caps.. can ayone tell I look at the keyboard when I type? LOL

so we have simply blended the shadow, radiant, and neutral planes together to create the borderorld. it eplaces wht the etheral plane would be.. but anything referrin to the etheral plane in contest o f normal game materail now relates directly to the border world.

nasty, ugly parts of the planet will have closer ties to the shadow
loved, tended to parts of the world will align with radiant.
everything else is some place in between.

so rock on the material plane is solid rock on the order, ut may have differences. possibly more or less, or something.... extra. or missing altogether. dependig on it's alliance to the material and sentience involved with the region.
sharn is neutral/shadow... because it is corupt at its roots ad reflected appropriately at it's base. further up is neutral, because it has been around less ime to really impct the border world.

once you gys decide to dive "deep" into the beyond, we're gonna hold a couple conversations there as well, most likely.
It's a bit differt, but doesn't really change anything other than there is terrain there that must be respected. a dwarven culture with access to the border world would also mine, build and whatever there as well. just as unliving eles build their empire coterminous with the living elves. the city of the dead is a massive, open gate to the border world. youcould walk through the games into the city, and when you leave you could choose border or material.. each has a full populated city, that has relatively little effect on each other, except from a divine point of view. (don't know why I mentioned that, but there it is. )

this does lead to a few techincal issues, but I can't imagine any new ones tha we haven't coverdd already.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
hey.... am I to assume now aurok has simply bee lined from his previous location to the roof top, skipping the whole deagan move, and now should be resized on the map to medium size?

andnoldorforce is the last on deck for the round?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
Yes. It saves me having to redraw his position.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Surreal
He remains at the same size as before however.

edit: whoops nevermind, I just read the main thread. Actually, Aurok would be able to wield the ethereal reaver at his normal size, but it would only do damage as a medium longsword. Since the post is already made however, we'll just go with it.
p.s. you got +4 Str/Con, so that should temporarily heal you a little bit
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Magically Malicious
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
I'll give you a spellcraft check result when I post the beginning of the next round... as is my habit for any information/knowledge/spot/listen/etc check you may request. much easier to incorporate t into my text than to post it here or something out o turn..if I start commenting on each perosn's checks etc then no on ewoul post anything until I do that, and a round would take even longer than this one did. ugh.

I oughta scold you people for waiting to see what other players are gonna do. but can't really blae you. If I wanted to cast haste on a buncha you, I'd wait until you moved into position too... if yer waiting for others to do something, do me a fav and post some flavor text and add an ((ooc comment)) describing what yer waiting for... and I certainly don't mind tactics discussions in ooc TECHNICAL THREAD-- the quicker you guys learn to work as a team, the sooner I can take the gloves off.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Wayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal
He remains at the same size as before however.

edit: whoops nevermind, I just read the main thread. Actually, Aurok would be able to wield the ethereal reaver at his normal size, but it would only do damage as a medium longsword. Since the post is already made however, we'll just go with it.
p.s. you got +4 Str/Con, so that should temporarily heal you a little bit
It's mainly so that it counts as a one-handed weapon for him. A medium one-handed weapon in his hands would count as light, and thus would not get any PA bonus damage. That would suck.