Game Thread Prologue: An Audience with the King [the 2nd] - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: S-V > Seis'kerta > Trials of the Young King
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Didina nods politely to Nehv, indicating that she is satisfied by her argument and she prompty moves on to another subject. "I have a suggestion, though it would be somewhat...risky. As I mentioned before I am capable of telepathic communication at will, although it is a one-way communication I am afraid. However, it does mean that I at least can pass over information I am given to everyone during social events or simply passing by in the street. Of course, this is risky because we would be putting all our eggs in one basket, namely me, however it would be quicker and far more difficult to intercept than coded messages, and not as restrictive as Sending spells considering how you described them. Of course, the question would then be how to safely get information to me so that I could relay it to the others." She looks towards Morgan and smiles and possibly pre-empts him re-voicing his initial question. "Otherwise, I'm afraid, it does not fall under my expertise. My skills are more suited to...gathering information than relaying it, though I am also adept at removing information from the minds of others, which I expect will be very useful in case we are discovered." She inclines her head slightly before suddenly remembering something and jerking her head up again, a grin on her calculating face. "Actually...I do know something that might help...though it is short ranged and small in duration. I didn't think of it before as its one of the first powers I learnt and also one of the simplest ones I know. It would allow me to set up two-way telepathic communication between all of us, provided we were close enough, or groups of us if there were not enough of us. I could easily use it, unnoticed, at the beginning of some kind of social event when we have an excuse to be close together, and thereafter the bond prevails regardless of distance." She laughs. "Provided none of you go plane-hopping afterwards at least."

Misa once again speaks up, though she doesn't address Morgan specifically as Didina did. "How about Sending Stones? I use one to keep in contact with my brother." She takes a fist-sized spherical chunk of stone from her pocket to show to the others. "They're relatively cheap, considering our rich or adventurous backgrounds respectively, and can be tuned to any number of stones at the same time. Of course, the same problem arises from using these as with the Sening spell AND with coded messages, since anyone who has the stone gets the message."

Didina looks curiously at the stone, presumably having never seen it before. "Why not send coded messages through them? That way we can also make it shorthand and it means someone would have to steal a stone and the decoder, and we might even be able to use such a theft to our advantage were that to happen. While I know no psionic equivelents, there are ways to locate items you are familiar with are there not?" This question seems to be directed at Morgan more than anyone. It is clear that Didina's knowledge of magic is scarecely any different than a common noble's understanding of it, beyond any parrallels she can draw with her own abilities.

~MWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Watcher's Avatar
Watcher Watcher is offline
<insert witty title here>
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 31st, 2019
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Posts: 810
It was now time for Syltar to remain quiet, having said his main concerns, and now feeling the conversation had moved onto things beyond his expertise. While he was capable of learning and using spells of the nature mentioned, the young mage felt that he would allow other members to make decisions - if only so they felt more united as a group, and allowed him to start listening once more, filing away what he heard or saw.

Besides, which, it seemed that the stones were a suitable idea, which allowed all to be comfortable with the level of privacy it might invade. Syltar was not willing to allow any telepath into his mind, let alone form a link with relative strangers that could share his thoughts - he was no mentalist, he wasn't sure what he may, or may not, send across such a meshing of thoughts, and he didn't favor the prospect of such a union.

"Perhaps we could have such sending stones made into jewelry, so that they might double as rings or necklaces? Syltar offered, raising an eyebrow at the few speaking of such things. "Then we would have a reason to wear them, with a newly appointed status, and they wouldn't appear out of place unless closely inspected... I am sure such feats are possible with the stones, and they could be made to look quite polished and appropriate to be cast into gold or silver bands. This might allow us the liberty of not having to hide portions of random stone fragments on our person, at least?"

Easing back into his chair, Syltar inclined his head and continued to listen...
__________________
Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of anecdote is not facts.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Nvh finally began to relax on her chair, satisfied. A hint of honey in her voice, still stinging.
"Yes, you heard me well."

"...Eh. A need-to-know based system suits me perfectly. I do agree to your proposition on 'military awareness'. Let us be efficient."

Things were beginning to get together. She had never been good with social interactions... but just a little more and her objectives for this day would be met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan
”Just as you expect us to trust you to keep your secrets only until it becomes something we need to know you must trust Sorrian and all of us to do the same.
As well you have hit on a point that we should address earlier rather than later. You say that because King Vulcar has entrusted you with this conduit we should trust your judgment but you instead imply that that you feel we should bow to your will. I believe that if Vulcar had wanted you to be in charge of the investigation he would have said so, instead it seems we are given to establish our own 'pecking order'.
She waited patiently until he was done, appearing neither amused nor irritated by the string of ideas posed.
"I believe you may have missed the moment, dear Morgan, but we already came to that conclusion. You also seem to misunderstand the point of my queries, but seeing how explaining myself is in no way going to affect our task, let us say I understand your point and leave it at that.

Whatever leadership I plan to suffer our unit with will be limited to requesting things that will be useful to my contribution to this investigation -and- to offer my services in what may contribute to your own parts. Nothing more. I will manage with whatever I get from all of you and accept a group leader if we do appoint one-- though I'd rather we choose none."


--
On the matter of communication, Nvh appeared delighted at the various ideas coming out.
"Considering we never know when one of us could find something that would need to be transmitted to everyone immediately, I think imperative that we all possess several means of communication to fit most situations... let's see: Seeing" how sending stones work in pairs only... we would need 21 pairs of stones for everyone to be able to communicate with one another. Using our lord Syltar's idea, we could fashion some sorts of bracelets containing 6 stones each. Such an item will not pass unnoticed to one detecting magical auras... unless we also take care of those emanations. They will need to be very different so that they do not make our connection obvious, indeed... and that would take care of urgent communications.

For special communications where we can group up, as she has suggested ...telepathy using Didina's talents or a 'Telepathic Bond' spell. If we cannot meet but are close to one another, then we should carry rings of communication.

If we already used the stones to reach someone and must relay info again for an emergency, then I suggest we form cells of two or three members. One member per group would be able to use Sending to communicate with a member of another cell so that they can inform the rest of it. Efficient only if we plan to have some of us usually close to one another. We can easily find reasons to justify frequent interactions.

...there may be other instances that we need to cover, but once of such should be communication when we are closely watched... or detained. For such cases, I feel nothing less than a constant telepathic bond or a sending stone kept within our bodies to be sufficient. Some of you might not appreciate, however.

Otherwise, sending coded messages is risked and we may not wish to wait for them to reach destination. Only truly efficient if we employ spies or agents to relay them in our stead - but trusting others with our information may not be so wise. Morgan's contraptions could indeed do the trick in a bind."

She lowered her head slightly, still thinking on the matter. Her sentence felt unfinished, it seemed she was mentally trying to put to words the rest of her thoughts as her lips moved, muttering unspoken reflections.

Last edited by Blue; Oct 20th, 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2023
RPXP: 14764
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,729
Morgan strokes his chin as he contemplates the suggestions, speaking more to himself.
"The sending stones idea is... crude, using brute force, or in this case many thousands of gold pieces for numerous copies of the stones, is not to my liking but I have to admit it is the best idea thus far. 25 words, once per day. On the other hand it is instantaneous and unlimited range.
The stones are small, they could be sewn into the hem of a cloak or other garment.
A farspeaking amulet would work as well. It can be activated three times per day and lasts for ten minutes per use allowing the amulet wearer and each person carrying a charm to converse at will. Much better than sending stones. Its limitations being that it can link a maximum of five creatures, the amulet wearer and each holder of four charms, and only the person actually wearing the amulet may activate it. I might be able to construct an alternate version of the amulet with more charms and with the ability for the charm bearer to signal their wish to converse to the amulet wearer but that is only supposition. If we go with pairing or small groups as Nevh suggests one of these per group would be far more efficient and elegant than a hand full of sending stones each."


Morgan nibbles some more at the apple.

"As it happens I have a cloak that allows me amongst other things to use the Sending spell, as well I can have the spell prepared on a regular basis.
For now I suggest we hold off on spending thirty-odd thousand gold pieces until we can consider it further."


Morgan tosses the core of the apple to Cerberus who dutifully bears the core to a small plate to be disposed of later. As ever Morgans mind is working on multiple problems at once, and one fact has just sprung to mind.

"Now onto weightier matters, our list of suspects. If the intent was to actually kill the King it is very highly unlikely the Princess was the culprit. Why you ask? Ziliara. What are the chances that Princess Zephyra is unaware of her great many times over grandmothers existence and role as protector of the Halvan line? So either the Princess was not involved in the planning or execution of the... execution, or she did not intend to kill her brother."

Morgan turns his attention to the spider amulet on the table.

"I'm afraid I'm at something of a loss as to the proper form of address when directly speaking with a god or godess so please correct me as necessary. Goddess Ziliara, does the Princess know of your existence and roll within the family? As well I humbly request that you inform us of the activities of the would-be assassin from your earliest awareness of him up until the point of his assassination attempt in as precise a manner as you deem beneficial."

Morgan tries his best not to hold his breath, not sure how this particular genie-in-a-bottle felt about his earlier comments. Sensible deduction or personal insult, either was possible.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Oct 21st, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Sedracus's Avatar
Sedracus Sedracus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Posts: 19,818
"With regards to communication, I've heard of some nifty items called Aspect Mirrors.. They basically allow two-way scrying anywhere on the same plane, allowing you to converse as if you were next to each other, and activates whenever you want. The biggest downside is that it doesn't alert the owner when it's triggered, but perhaps one of us is interested in item creation and could try to tinker with them around a bit to allow it to do so?" Amandus smoothly offers.

"I have no further ideas or strong opinion on whom the assassin is likely to be, I think the best thing for us to do would be to just keep an ear out while we go to the ball after working out our communication methods."


 
__________________
From the Staff Forum: "Added to my to do list: enshrine Sed's personal account details as 'Official Site Documents' " ~Birched
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
OOCAll the items suggested so far are fine though I'm not prepared to mess with their rules at such yet, though the mages of the group should feel free to fiddle of they've got the right skills, feats and spells (basically, if you want a modified one you'll have to research and make it yourself, which'll take time).

Just as a reminder though, Misa is a Monk and Didina is a Psionicist, so neither are experts at magical items. Also, unlike some of you, their money comes from nobility more than anything else, so they've also not got as widespread knowledge about certain items.

Everywhere feels an odd sensation at once, as if something were sliding into their minds like a hot knife through butter, though it was not a painful experience, just...odd. Even if they didn't know who it was, they would have known that what the heard was not actually spoken, but telepathy, with the "voice" projected into their minds that of a woman. "Zilira will do, though feel free to address me as "My Goddess" or in other worshipping tones." She laughs, though it is not a harsh one, like some of them might have been expecting, just a playful one. "As to your questions, I am glad that you are proving your worth even now - I was worried when Vulcar chose such an...odd group of people, but your beginning is promising, though bumpy. But that is to be expected when strangers meet in such circumstances. Now then, as to Zephyra, she is indeed aware of my existence, but only in a vague sense. She met me when she was young once, or more specifically, she managed to stumble upon me." They hear another playful laugh. "It was shortly before Queen Kalari fell pregnant with Vulcar, she was about seven I believe...perhaps as young as six, but she was the heir at the time, and being raised to be Queen. Her mother had even given her Vulcar's Ring (the first Vulcar's that is, the one that Vulcar II and every king before him has worn) which is how she managed to find me. Only those of my blood wearing the ring can enter here without my help, though she could not control me any more than her mother could. Unfortunately, Queen Kalari was not aware of this - only the males can control me, which is why it was so important Halva had a king - and because they were all killed, a lot of the knowledge related to me was lost, as they saw no need to tell the females." Her next laughed seemed mocking, most likely directed at the males who had unintentionally crippled their own family. "Anyway, that was the only time that Zephyra saw me, and I have not contacted her since. Whether she knows of my true nature I do not know, but anything she knows about me she would have had to investigate, as Vulcar only recovered the knowledge through a combination of my tuteledge and by visiting the first Vulcar's tomb*, where much of Halva's secrets lie. As far as I know, his sister has not been to the tomb, however she has been near it and both knows where itis exactly and can enter it. She can not access all of its secrets though, as only one wearing Vulcar's Ring can do that. In short: I can not say for sure that she knows the exact nature of my existence, but at the very least she knows that the dungeons of the palace hold a very powerful Drow with an affinity for spiders. Knowing her as I do, I would be very surprised if she did not research me later in life, and as such she most likely knows who I am, but not the nature of my servitude to the Noble House of Halva."
*The location (even general) of Vulcar's Tomb (the first Vulcar this is, not the current one) is a closely guarded secret that only the heirs and the current monarch are told. So every living member of the royal family (not by marriage that is, so excluding Vulcar and Zephyra's father, who is obviously not related to the Halvan Royal Family [recently at least]) at the moment would know it, since Kalari was the Queen, Zephyra was the heir, was (very) briefly a young queen and has once again been the heir ever since her brother was born (Vulcar having been crowned king when he was only a week old).

"As to your second question, there is not much to tell. I was aware of his intrusion quite soon, however I have explicit intructions not to interfere except as a last resort. Even without such instructions I would not have intervened either, as I expected the Guards, or at least the Shadow Hand, to deal with it, but they did not even seem aware of it. In the end I decided to test Vulcar's readyness too, but fortunately for him I was ready to stop the assassin from striking. He used shadows to move about the place, though he was neither a Shadowkin, nor was he once who dances in the Shadows. After having...investigated a little more-" There is an almost sinister quality to her voice at this point. "-I believe he is a practicioner of the Hidden Art, otherwise known as Psionics, which should make your search for him easier Nehv, as Tyryykan assassins capable of psionics are certainly quite rare. Any other questions my dears?" Her voice as returned to the much more innocent (even if they know not to believe it) tone from before.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2023
RPXP: 14764
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,729
"interesting. I had actually already considered psionics since the assassin had had his memories altered extensively. It's a trick that is much more difficult with arcane or divine magic than the magic of the mind.
Didina, would it be possible to restore those memories if they were removed via psychic means?"

The corner of Morgans mouth quirks up in wry ammusement.
"Thank you oh most holy and gorgeous goddess of dark mysteries living in your grandsons basement. I have but one more question for you."
Morgan swallows his nervousness, no time like the present and no present like the time.
"Did you, Ziliara, hire or arrange for the assassination attempt that triggered this investigation?"
On the surface the question was a bold and useless gesture. Even if she were guilty no doubt a drow goddess could lie better than Morgan could decipher. Ziliaras response however could give useful information and insight into her personality.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Oct 23rd, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Wholly focused on the words in her mind, Nvh listened as she observed everyone reacting to what she heard, making it obvious everyone was hearing the same thing.

She clutched a piece of jewelry strapped at her hair firmly before sliding her fingers down her hair, toying with the lock in concentration.
"If her knowledge of You is limited to what she would have researched, from what You have told us, then she does not know that she is of your blood. She probably thinks that instead of slaying you, Vulcar the first sealed you there. Perhaps also unaware of your servitude. If it is so, then Amandus and I will need to be extremely cautious not to be found by her wearing items connected to you, or it may lead to an amusing misunderstanding."

She let go of her hair and glued her back to the chair's.
"Psionics... understood. This will indeed ease my work considerably - I am most grateful."

After everyone would have had a go at questioning the goddess, she would turn her eyes to Didina.
"Lady Reid. It seems that ignorance of the nature of this... Hidden Art... will become a liability in a future too near. My knowledge is mostly limited to what I have witnessed, and most happened so long ago... I will research on the matter but it'd be a learning experience if you would tutor me a little. A practitioner's standpoint - If you would allow me."
The ability to manifest psionic powers were among the things she hadn't found a way to copy yet. She had managed to imitate a psionic focus in the past but it had done her little good. Working on it could be rewarding considering the possibility that when her mind will still be at its best when her body will grow old and weak ---hopefully retiring before then.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
Zilira laughed at Morgan's praise in an almost care-free manner. "Careful Morgan, or I may have to lure you into my web." Her answer to his final question was more amused than jovial, though it had a slight mocking undertone to it, as if she thought such a question was beneath a man of his intelligence. "Really nor Morgan, do you think if I wanted to and was able to send assassins against the one who controls me that I would wait until after I was forgotten? I may never have been as widely worshipped as my half-brother is today, but I did have worshippers, worshippers who would have gladly killed someone on a suicide mission if I so ordered it. Why would I wait now?" There is a pause. "Without a King, or when the King of Halva deems me a..." There is a slight pause, during which everyone feels a hint of anger and hate coming from the Goddess. As they would have been expecting there is a spiteful tone to her voice when she continues. "A monstrous pet useful only to fight wars, as the previous king, Vulcar's grandfather, called me." It takes her a moment to bring together her thoughts, and she finishes in a much more neutral tone. "In such instances I am locked away beneathe the palace, only able to watch the world go by, awaiting the day when a new King comes or the current King decides to end my banishment. Why would I try to kill the only king if it means I would be imprisoned again?"

Coughing slightly, and obviously not wanting to risk irking the anrgy Goddess, Didina changes the subject by answering Morgan's question. "I'm not sure that's what she meant. She said that the assassin was a psionicist I believe, though you are correct in that psions wield the most power over the mind, as it is our domain. As for your actual question..." She pauses to think, presumably to search her memory for what Morgan has asked. "...well, there are some, limited, ways to bring back memories. However, some of the hinge on exactly how the memories were removed. healing magic, such as the Restoration spell, can somtimes remove such effects, however considering the scale of what was attempted and how successful it nearly was, I would be surprised if such...common measures were capable of undoing whatever happened to the assassin. No, I expect that only a Reality Revision would be capable of undoing the damage. I believe it is the equivelent of the "Wish" spell that arcanists use. Unfortunately, few people are capable of performing such powerful feats and-"

Zilira, for the first time, speaks without having been asked something first, effectively interupting Didina. "I am capable of using Reality Revision. My powers are similar to your own Didina, except I am far more powerful and my specialty is the Metacreativity Discipline, although I do dabble in Psychokinesis, Telepathy and Psychometabolism as well."

Didina, slightly stunned from the revalation, takes a moment to reply. "Well...have you tried it?"

Zilira's is obviously annoyed by the question, speaking sarcastically at first. "Of course not, I decided to watch Zilira and Leal go at it like rabbits instead. Of course I tried you fool, do you take me for a moron? Whatever spell or power that was used to erase his memories was a powerful one. However, before you all start to panic, that does not mean that a Deity is responsible. Reality Revision is not perfect, neither are the Divine and Arcane equivelents. They will not undo the effects of True Magic*, nor will they undo the magic or powers used by individuals as powerful as Aiden and Shade**. Unfortunately, power only goes so far. To undo whatever was done to him would require the help of someone who was both powerful, and a specialist on mind-manipulation or possibly healing."
OOC* - Knowledge [arcana]:
 

 

 

Knowledge [history]:
 

 


** - I.e. Epic level spells and powers.

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Watcher's Avatar
Watcher Watcher is offline
<insert witty title here>
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 31st, 2019
RPXP: 1261
Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher Watcher
Posts: 810
Syltar continued to rub absently at his chin, stroking the smooth skin with his fingertips. He was most intrigued by speaking with a 'goddess', though in truth he would have much preferred a more 'goodly' sort - one could never truly trust a being devoted to chaos, or more accurately in this instance, forced imprisonment. Nonetheless, the implications and subtle words and phrases that began to stand out caused the young mage to take extra careful note. He didn't want to forget important details that could be recalled upon at a later time.

"If what I understand about True Magic stands to reason, using the ability for any substantial means, would render the user almost completely fatigued or at least physically or mentally drained for a period of time," Syltar began, speaking to all concerned, but focusing his question to Zilira, primarily. "So it stands to possibility that anyone within the castle, or anyone within the city for that matter, using such power might have displayed tell-tale signs of said True Magic use. Zilira, is it possible to recall any individuals that may have been showing uncommon mannerisms or acting out of character around the assassination attempt?"

While Syltar didn't want to put his entire trust in the goddess, he had the feeling she would be more aware of such instances than most, at least from an arcane standpoint. It remained that the young mage had another method, also.

"It may also prove prudent to investigate beyond the castle proper, perhaps even at the ball, to see if anyone noticed such occurrences with people they know? Perhaps a tale of a 'sickness' that has passed through, affecting individuals in a short way, prompting weariness or the need for anti-social behavior - such as locking oneself in a room, or leaving public eye for a time?"

Looking to Morgan, Syltar inclined his head momentarily, giving a small smile.

"I feel that if we can complete this task, it may prove both informative and allow us to narrow down the subjects in this investigation. I, myself, will even go so far as to inquire about my cousin on the aforementioned dates, through contacts I have that I am able to trust. If we are certain the princess isn't involved, then perhaps this will offer more factual proof in a short time frame?

"Failing that, I feel a decision must be made, shortly, so that we might get to work on the investigation proper."
__________________
Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of anecdote is not facts.

Last edited by Watcher; Oct 23rd, 2009 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Makenshi's Avatar
Makenshi Makenshi is offline
Weaver of Worlds
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2021
RPXP: 3967
Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi Makenshi
Posts: 8,984
OOCWatcher, Ahekan Drow are Neutral (self-serving) Evil, rather than Chaotic (Stupid/) Evil, so Zilira isn't neccesarily CE, like the standard Drow/Lolth (not to say she isn't, but I assume you've mentioned Chaos because Drow are Chaotic Evil in most settings).

"I am a Psion, not a mage, and probably know less about True Magic than you do, as all that hocus pocus seemed like a waste of time to me, though I payed for my neglect in that regard." She takes on a teasing tone. "I find it hard to take anything that involves using bat droppings to launch balls of fire seriously you see, but True Magic is nothing like that. Otherwise, it is a good plan, though the only person I can think of that has been isolationist of late is Lord Anhil Sol, but he's always been like that, as have most of his family in general. Well, except for that Helena, but you'd know her better than I, since she went to the Dragonblaze academy."

~MTWC
__________________
DMing...: Trials of the Young King [3.5, Full] | Working on...: The Godling Sagas [PF, Gestalt, TotYK Sequel]

Last edited by Makenshi; Oct 23rd, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 12:45 AM
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom is offline
Pretty cool Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 6th, 2023
RPXP: 14764
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Posts: 10,729
Well that answered that, or at least it pretended to. You see as Morgan had immediately noted at no point did Zilira actually say that she hadn't arranged for the assassination. An agile mind under a compulsion could often use misleading speech and actions and the assumptions of onlookers. The truth can be just as misleading as an outright lie.
Morgan twists the plain copper band of his ring of mind shielding hoping that it's enough to keep his thoughts from the trapped goddess, and any other curious onlookers for that matter.
Thank you oh unseen divine delight for this your wise insight.

Morgan stands from his chair, stretching after the long period sitting. From a satchel he'd hung from the back of his chair he pulls a thin book with an atlas stamped on the front. Murmuring under his breath he peruses the book. He reaches over the table to pluck an untouched glass of red wine. A sip reveals a bold Riven Red without the acidic tang lesser wines from that region are known for, nice.
It seems we have numerous lines of inquiry to pursue.
Morgan snaps the book shut and slips it back into his pack.
If anything the churches of Hiahel and Airis are likely to be able to provide a means or at least more information on restoring our assassins memory for our perusal. While Tiaan was a powerful, the powerful, True Magic user and his clergy might offer some more information. If I go to the church of Airis I will have to consider how to bring the subject up with the Mother Superior without rousing her interest too much but we have time for now. If we can get a solid identity on him that might not even be necessary as Amandus and I'm sure Nevh have contacts they can tap to gather information on the man memories or no.
Another advantage is the exclusive nature of the powers used to modify our assassin in waiting. Powerful, dauntingly so yes, but also rare. This narrows the field of potential links considerably. Once we have our mental saboteur we can work outwards from there.
For the time being I will work on our communication problem and work at methods to restore the assassins memory.

Morgan frowns thoughtfully.
We need to start calling him something other than the assassin. The less direct we make our words the less damage done if one of us is careless or overheard by chance or design.

In any case. I suggest someone research True Magic as much as possible and we all consider any people we are aware of that can use it or are capable of Greater Magics, it shouldn't be a large pool.
Syltar I'm sorry but I'm not sure that looking for someone who was recently ill would do us much good, anyone powerful enough to use magic able to nullify something like a wish spell is certainly able to do his work a few provinces or continents away then have the assassin brought into the capital. That line of thinking might bear fruit but only if we compile a list of True Magic users first.

As for the gala itself I intend to go without a specific goal in mind. I will try to circulate widely, go with the flow and see what information I can filter from the masses. As a new archmage without a patron, I half expect this Jarlan Inaha person to come looking for me. As a known maker of magic items, clockwork wonders, wizard, and oracle I would probably come to his attention.

Morgan slowly turns the wineglass in his fingers.
Now then. Does anyone have any new business they wish to bring forth?
If not I think we have more than enough on our plate to keep us busy for a time.
__________________
Thanks to all the great great GM's. Especially: Makenshi, Birched, Savoylen, Davion, and Homestarbaby.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Sedracus's Avatar
Sedracus Sedracus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Posts: 19,818
"I will be mingling a lot during the gala as well, making acquaintances, charming the beautiful ladies, but indeed, without a specific goal in mind. Just listening to the rumours - I'm certain there will be some trophy wives, and those are prone to gossip a lot." Amandus says, glancing at lady Nhv as he speaks of beautiful women with a sparkle in his eyes.

"How about Jacoby, as a name for it? I don't think there are any nobles around with that name, so they shouldn't feel insulted and we need not get confused." he offers.
__________________
From the Staff Forum: "Added to my to do list: enshrine Sed's personal account details as 'Official Site Documents' " ~Birched
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is offline
Custom Titled
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 15th, 2023
RPXP: 2124
Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue Blue
Posts: 2,984
Someone powerful enough to cast True Magic was at the core of the issue. Perhaps not the culprit himself, but someone who knows enough of the plot to take care of its most important steps.

She already knew a number of users, and all could potentially give themselves a lasting life that would allow them to still walk the earth this day. All possible enemies... and heavens knew she didn't need any powerful enemies.
Maybe this whole contract was indeed a fool's errand, and it will all hit us, in the face in the end.

She seemed slightly uneasy that instant, or a little sick. Waving her end up and down as she interrupted he flow.
"Sorry... sorry... something... bothers me."
She sniffed some air and coughed it out suddenly, muting it with her hand.
Peeking at her palm, she remained cold at the sight of little blood traces staining her glove. Not good.
"I-I think there is something wrong with the addition of True Magic to the equation. Whoever did this found means to affect Jacoby, ...hoping this is not actually his real name, with such power - but I suggest we be careful even with that evidence; by covering their tracks so carefully with True Magic, of all things, our target drew an all too obvious line as to whom could be responsible. This could also be a deception meant to make us look the wrong way. Let's investigate that end, of course, but let's keep our minds open for other possibilities."

She tried to raise a smile and looked at everyone slowly.
Her eyes stopped at Syltar.
The academy probably didn't teach him how to deal with this kind of things, and Aiden has a world of experience. A wyrmling tailing a wyrm. Trusting him with such a risked lead was not wise.
...But, he has family ties protecting him... Aiden will most likely try to use him to find more about all of us if he is found out.


"One more thing. Even if it stands to reason for most of you, I advise discretion. Young Dragonblaze, I know your cousin to be very strict in business, but also a very powerful being overflowing with awareness. He has what it takes to be very dangerous, so even though your investigation of his character could be an invaluable asset to our purpose, be especially careful."

She then dragged her stare on to Morgan, but without saying anything.
It was more than enough to pass on a similar message.

The stare eventually stopped at Amandus' crotch.
"Hm-hm."
Nothing else came to mind; It was quite puzzling to wonder what could have happened to him as a result of coupling with a dark goddess. Perhaps small spiders have infiltrated his organs at some point. It was quite an entertaining mental picture.

[OOC]Nvh asked Didina after everyone's done talking.[OOC]

Last edited by Blue; Oct 25th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Sedracus's Avatar
Sedracus Sedracus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 30th, 2022
RPXP: 11153
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Posts: 19,818
Amandus took lady Nhv's stare at his crotch for a sign of her interest in him, and smiled widely. "Be sure not to mention me, Syltar... I don't think your cousin likes me somehow."

Amandus considers something, and offers: "If any of you feel things could turn hostile where you are going, feel free to ask me along. I can turn invisible whenever I want, so worry not about my presence interfering with whatever you are doing, and I'm pretty good at getting out of sticky situations. Should you need someone found in the city, I am quite apt at finding those who think they can hide."

Something Zilira had mentioned came to mind, prodded upward by the mentions of True Magic. 'My dear Zilira, could your son Coiya be involved in this?' he sends his thought out to Lady Zilira, purposefully allowing it to pass his ring of mind shielding. To his companions, he mentions: "How about Coiya Halva, the most powerful king of Halva to ever live?"
__________________
From the Staff Forum: "Added to my to do list: enshrine Sed's personal account details as 'Official Site Documents' " ~Birched
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB