RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23321
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Ok. So my sister and mother are mad at me saying I am terrible.
So I come to ask strangers if they are right.

It all started on Thanksgiving. My family and I went to Florida to stay at my in-laws for the Holiday. On Thanksgiving we looked at the Black Friday Ad's. My son wanted to get a Video game (Yes I know it is Rated M and he is only 12.. But that is a discussion for another topicAssassins Creed 3) Best buy had it for $35, if they sold out he could get it for $50 at Target.

Problem was he only had $20. If he was willing to wait till Christmas, I would have went out and got it for him to come from one of his grand parents (I usually buy the gifts and they give me the money. I had already arrange for Black Ops II and Halo 4. One more game was not a big deal.

So he needed to Borrow money to purchase it, in 33 days he would get the money at Christmas, so it was not a long time to wait to pay back.

Now here is where my sister and mother think I am horrible. My Daughter has plenty of money. She doesn't spend her money like her brother. He get's $10 and he's running to game stop to get a used game. She will save it up to buy big things. She had $50 in her purse. I proposed she loan him the $35 if he pays her back $40 from his Christmas Earnings. So my son would pay $5 of interest.

I thought it was a good lesson to them both. To my Daughter it showed if you are careful with your money you can make it work for you. My son it would show if you want something now, their is a price you will pay for it.

My sister and Mother thought it was terrible, and that I was teaching my daughter to be a loan shark. Admittedly the interest is kind of steep, but with the low amounts having her get say 5% interest ($1.75) really wasn't teaching him any thing and was $1.75 enough to have her be willing to do it. She's afraid my daughter is going to go around charging friends and family interest all the time. Say someone she knows is in desperate need. Now my daughter is going to charge interest.

I laughed at my sister and reminded her of the time I loaned her $2000 for her mortgage and did not charge her interest, and if I would be kind to do that, my daughter who has more compassion in her pinky would do similar. A loan for a friend/family member in need is vastly different than a kid who can't wait a month to buy a video game..

Anyways.. Am I Terrible? .. And by Terrible I mean for the Loan Shark thing not other reasons.

Last edited by Embrodak; 12-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Oh... Also I know $20 + $35 = 55. Needing only $35 for the game he was borrowing too much.

The thought was if he could get it for $35 at Best buy he would, otherwise he would need $55 for other places. If he did get it for $35 (Which he did) the plan was to buy a couple used games at Game Stop (Which he did).
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Big Muscles

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36915
Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck Admin Chuck
I don't think you are terrible for that at all. It sounds to me like your son has plenty of games to play and teaching him that some patience is worthwhile is a good thing, especially given that he would have gotten it for free if he could hold off for a month.

I read an article a while back about a father who paid his kids for chores that they did around the house, and negotiated with them an appropriate fee for each job. Not just an allowance per week, but say $20 for mowing the lawn one week, and then maybe three weeks later if the grass is grown a lot and needs to be cut badly the son could negotiate for a higher rate that time. Half the money made was given directly to the children and the other half socked away and put into a savings account for college. It sounded like a really great idea and I hope to convince my wife to allow me to do stuff like that once we have kids.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
fires and floods

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33199
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Sounds fine, Em. I mean, if your daughter wanted to lend it without interest, then that would also be fine, but if the were both happy with the way things worked, then i can't see any issue!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM
GO BARD OR GO HOME

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26822
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Haha, you're not terrible. Sounds more like your mom and sister need to lighten up. I know mine do.

Become a Community Supporter! | Art of the Two Paragraph Post
Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Erwindrenn
What would you say is the best 3.5e D&D class for beginners?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Well for beginners I would say a fighter class, be it Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian or Paladin.

Those classes don't use skills like the Rogue or bard. No Magic (Yet).

The Barbarian, Paladin and Ranger are basically fighters with some feat optimization.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
bassman7689
Embrodak. What is your favorite race to play in D&D?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Well I prefer playing Core with no LA.

I stay with Human / Half-Human's. (Either Half-elf or Half-Orc)

Not a fan of full Elves or Dwarves.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
Silverfang
what is the funniest race/class build you've ever seen?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Deallo
(Don't know if it's polite or not to ask a question when somebody else did but whatev's)

Why're you not a big fan of elves or dwarves? Elves...are pretentious pricks of course, but why dwarves?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Lemon Eater

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
what is the funniest race/class build you've ever seen?
I'm going to go with the Kender / Rogue from the Dragonlance world.

In one game my friends Kender started a forest fire as he reflected the light through a gem.
It was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deallo View Post
(Don't know if it's polite or not to ask a question when somebody else did but whatev's)

Why're you not a big fan of elves or dwarves? Elves...are pretentious pricks of course, but why dwarves?
Dwarves.. Too stereotyped. I can't help getting the image of short Scottish men running around with axes.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM
I want to be your friend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
skateass skateass skateass
An image that always makes me laugh, is a dwarf that steps on his long beard and falls face first on the floor. :P
Skateass' Drawings)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Flower of Everything!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6785
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
I think it was an entirely appropriate life lesson for both of them. Right on the money! Pun intended... -)

EDIT: I realized I was supposed to ask a question... What is the main problem with our society today? Why do we have so many more people with their hand out than people who want to work and earn for themselves?

Myself... I love that feeling of self worth I get from putting in a hard days work. I see it in my trade too... I do electrical work. I drive a service truck and do a lot of lighting maintenance, but I have done plenty of construction work. My friend who is also an electrician is doing a construction job and he is constantly complaining about the unskilled labor he has to use all the time. Most people you get, they don't want to do anything, and what they do normally has to be done over. When I came up in the trade, it was a TRADE. You learned on the job and if your leadman said you didn't cut the mustard then you got canned. When I was a young helper I was sent home from work one day because I forgot my pencil. That was a bit extreme I thought at the time but I never forgot a writing utensil again. I wear bib overalls now and I always have a pencil and a pen in my bibs.

Sorry for the rant but... I worry for the next generation and the way this country is headed.

Last edited by ricktur63; 02-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM

Tools
User Statistics
crutchfield
Can you give me any recommendations to any games?
How helpful are solo missions to learn the pbp system.