RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Forgotten Realms > Tomb of Horrors
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #466  
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Toba's Avatar
Toba Toba is offline
We're All Mad Here
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 20891
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
Posts: 7,712
Taylor shrugged.

Well, it's time to do or die, eh? He thought to himself, alarmingly at ease with the fact that in a few moments, he would likely be risking his life. When one was dying anyway, sudden deaths lost a lot of their edge.

Returning to the group after failing to find any route with Grak, Taylor explained his plan.

"Well, I can bypass the first room that seemed to be making a mess of Goragh. Problem is, I somewhat expect things to be just as bad in the second chamber. Unless someone has a better plan, I still think that's our ticket. If we can't shrink the troll, then I'm likely the best candidate to get by. Thoughts?"

Taylor waited, seeing if anyone had an alternative to him simply checking for traps in the second room by setting them off with his body.
__________________
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
GM: Echoes of Divinity II Player: The Lost Coast(Breck&Earl)
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Headstone's Avatar
Headstone Headstone is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2016
RPXP: 654
Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone
Posts: 1,046
Watching Taylor search for secret doors was intriguing. Alastair was getting edgy, "This small hallway is most certainly a death trap." He thought, and began wandering around the small rooms leading to the "L1-L2false door". Taking care to simply look at the door Alastair examines it for any markings and which way it would appear to open.

Sitting cross legged on the floor, "Mystra, grant me the brilliance & insight to find the secrets in this tomb. Grant whatever assistance you see fit to my companions as well. This I ask in the name of the Art and Weave." Breathing deeply, he stands and and begins casting a Detect Secret Doors (9 Minutes)spell. Turning slowly, Alastair lets the spell run it course and do it's thing.
__________________
'Professor' Arturo Groundcarver They Came from Above
Alastair Tremblay Tomb of Horrors - Adventures of the Forsaken (or Short-Lived)
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Quori's Avatar
Quori Quori is offline
Upper for Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-18-2017
RPXP: 1249
Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori
Posts: 2,131
Grak

The group is faced with the same decision. To continue searching and moving through this inner area, or continue down the previous hallway.

"It might be best to hold off on shrinking Goragh until we know for sure it will have to be a short-term solution, lest he un-shrink in tight quarters..."

Thinking it through, he queries the group again to get a consensus. "I'm fine with continuing through the small rooms, but it seems dicey and risky for whomever continues the searches." Grak says, eyeing the man doing more than his fair share. "Or we can continue down the hallway. I vote for continuing through the small rooms."

General DataFlying (floating 2 ft.)
Nimbus of Light (Active; Bright 5ft./Shadowy Illumination 10ft.)
60ft. Darkvision
__________________
Nothing to see here...
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Arucard's Avatar
Arucard Arucard is offline
Seahawks Fan(g) Cookies!
Good People  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-07-2017
RPXP: 18563
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Posts: 10,302
DMAlastair does not find any secret doors.
__________________
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Toba's Avatar
Toba Toba is offline
We're All Mad Here
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 20891
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
Posts: 7,712
As always, Taylor felt the unceasing torrent of time pushing him forward, perhaps more than others. It would make sense, given his likely short run of time left. Just thinking of it caused his lungs to contract harshly in the most prominent symptom of his disease: the hacking cough.

When he had dabbed the blood from the corner of his mouth, he spoke evenly to those assembled,"Well folks, I hope you don't take this as rude, but I don't exactly have the time to discuss other options. I've had Nerull breathing down my neck for too many years to let me sit still."

He returned to the opening, eyeballing the blood stains on the floor from where the Goragh had dripped from his wounds. He sighed, took a deep breath, and rolled his shoulders.

Over his shoulder, he grinned back,"Same as that chicken on the side of the road... just gotta know what's on the other side."

With that, he shifted his stance, his feet going wide and his knees bent. As shadows began to cling to him, they suddenly spun faster, and Taylor stepped into them....

...and stepped out of the shadows of the furthest room, poised and ready for whatever awaited him...

OoCI'm gonna look like a big idiot if nothing happens.... but let's assume something does.
Actions
Swift: Child of Shadow Stance (20% Concealment when I move, not sure if it applies to Shadow Jaunt?)
Standard: Shadow Jaunt Maneuver (Teleport up to 40 ft I believe, but enough to make it to the 2nd room)

Rolls if Needed:
Search for Trap: 28
Disable Device: 28

AC: 27 (Touch 21/FF 21)
__________________
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
GM: Echoes of Divinity II Player: The Lost Coast(Breck&Earl)

Last edited by Toba; 04-24-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Arucard's Avatar
Arucard Arucard is offline
Seahawks Fan(g) Cookies!
Good People  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-07-2017
RPXP: 18563
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Posts: 10,302
DMTaylor teleports into the room and is immediately assailed by what years of adventuring experience inform him is a Magic Missile spell! After the initial damage is over, he attempts to search out the source of the trap... it appears, however, that despite his keen observational skills the trap is wholly magical in nature, leaving no parts to disable.

Unfortunately, it does not appear to be a one-off spell. As Taylor concludes his search roughly 6 seconds later, another volley of magic missiles unerringly strikes his form!

Taylor takes 14 damage in the first round
Taylor takes 15 damage in the second round
__________________
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Toba's Avatar
Toba Toba is offline
We're All Mad Here
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 20891
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
Posts: 7,712
"Sh**! Ah! F***! Ass!"

Swearing like a veteran of 7 wars, and grunting in pain as the magical arrows tore into his body, Taylor quickly cast a search gaze about for the source. The second missile tore into him, burning deep holes in his shoulder, revealing what he had feared.

There was no source, at least as far as his particular set of skills was concerned.

"You dog ****ing *****-***** piece of **** **** ogre's *****!" he shouted, his voice a mangled mess of pain, frustration, and just plain rage.

Knowing full well the pain wasn't over, and vehemently envying the troll's ability to heal from wounds such as this, Taylor made the only decision left to him...

He fled. Shadows wrapped about him once more, and he stepped into them, reappearing in the room where Goragh remained seated, watching.

"Well, that could have gone-" another fit of coughing, this time the blood from his mouth mingling with the blooding running from his multiple wounds.

"-better."

OoCWell, no more fun tele tricks, as I'm considering this one encounter? If Arucard disagrees, and will let me use Shadow Jaunt again, I'll do that, otherwise, I'm just hoofing it out of there, through the other trapped room, knowing full well I'm about to get a face full of nasty for that too...
__________________
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
GM: Echoes of Divinity II Player: The Lost Coast(Breck&Earl)

Last edited by Toba; 04-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 PM
ricktur63's Avatar
ricktur63 ricktur63 is offline
Flower of Everything!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 04-13-2019
RPXP: 6244
ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63 ricktur63
Posts: 9,257
Jemma Naresh


Jemma winced in pain as she heard the trapper begin to curse. She began preparing to take some of the mans pain away immediately. She concentrated and anyone near to Jemma hears a faint Empathic Adaptation manifested.'ding' in their mind as if someone struck a small bell with hammer. The noise is fleeting and somehow pleasant. As soon as the young man made it clear of the small chambers Jemma was there next to him. "Do you require aid? I am a healer of sorts but I must touch you since you havent joined my network."

After permission is given by Taylor, the ebony woman lays a hand gently against the side of his cheek. Her touch eases his pain almost instantly. The sound of wind chimes can be heard briefly as drops of rain fall momentarily around the healer. The tones coincide with the droplets but they dissipate as quickly as they arrived. "There are easier ways for me to heal but most require a more intimate contact of our minds. I assure you it is not invasive at all. If you have reservations you may ask the others about this link."


 
__________________
Status: Still moving on the weekends and working long hours. I hope to start posting again 3-26 or 27. Too funny! Don't click here!
#oneracehuman #onlylovedefeatshate

Last edited by ricktur63; 04-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Headstone's Avatar
Headstone Headstone is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-29-2016
RPXP: 654
Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone Headstone
Posts: 1,046
As Jemma attended to Taylor, Alastair asked, "Magic Missiles you say?" Thinking a moment, "I could likely get by them but their may be no way to disable them." Thinking further, he postulated a solution, "One of us could dispel the trap for a time, but alas, I can do neither today." Glancing over his shoulder to the other doorway, "Maybe our new....uh, traveling companions would have some insight regarding the misty doorway or gaping maw. We could also find the remains of our other companion as well." Looking at the small chambers, "I can definitely get through here tomorrow if we chose to return this way."
__________________
'Professor' Arturo Groundcarver They Came from Above
Alastair Tremblay Tomb of Horrors - Adventures of the Forsaken (or Short-Lived)
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Toba's Avatar
Toba Toba is offline
We're All Mad Here
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-20-2019
RPXP: 20891
Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba Toba
Posts: 7,712
Taylor brought up his eyes to meet Jemmas, the woman who had just mysteriously healed him in a manor he'd never experienced. Hope flared in his eyes as he thought maybe, just may-

*COUGH* *COUGH*

Nope. He spit out a gob of blood, and replied to her offer. "I've no problems with you digging around," he tapped his temple,"as long as you're prepared to deal with what you find."

He gave her a half smile, one hinting at the depths of feelings hiding behind the care free manor.

At Alastair's suggestion, Taylor nodded. "Seems like a sound enough plan to me, let's take a look." He limped after the group, still a bit sore, despite the healing he'd received.
__________________
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill
GM: Echoes of Divinity II Player: The Lost Coast(Breck&Earl)

Last edited by Toba; 04-26-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
DukeofTuring's Avatar
DukeofTuring DukeofTuring is offline
Back in green
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-08-2019
RPXP: 9935
DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring
Posts: 8,179
Ignoring the group's discussion, Goragh pulled whatever pieces of the broken door he managed to salvage out into the main, larger room. A relatively thorough investigation presumably revealed nothing particularly interesting about the door and, already bored, Goragh tossed the remains into one of the corners of the room. Besides, as even the troll could easily tell, there were more important things afoot. As Taylor's screams and curses filled the narrow halls, the troll's sensitive ears began firing off frantic messages to his central nervous system. There was an itch on his ear! No, not on his hear, under his hear, in his ear if that was possible. This would clearly require some delicate maneuvering on his part.

Trying to scratch at the inside of his ear, the Goragh pushes one of his filthy, gnarled claws into his ear canal, wiggling and probing with it in an awkward attempt to get at the source of his irritation. Achieving no results, the troll tries and fails to force his entire hand in, then instead tries probing a bit deeper with his index claw. This was the right area, he thought, itching and scraping but finding no relief. He would just have to go a bit deeper, into this lumpy thing. By the time that Jemma suggests to the wounded swordsage that he could seek recommendations from the others in her thought network, Goragh has his right index finger in his ear all the way up to his 2nd knuckle. Colors began strangely mixing together, transforming into scents and sounds, when suddenly it happened. Something popped or tore, neurons fired, connections snapped, and the world turned upside down.

By the gods, what was he doing here? Lumbering around this hole in the ground, smeared with his own waste and mumbling to himself like some sort of depraved, half-intelligent war beast? The troll that had once called itself Goragh looked around the tomb as if with new eyes, moved almost to tears both by the wretchedness of his own previous state and by the beautiful potential of the life that was now his. Some prisons, he realized with a mixture of horror and relief, were things of iron bars and cold stone, hard and heartless dungeons crafted to bind up the flesh of man or beast. But a prison of the mind! What a terrible and twisted thing that was. He had the soul of an artist! His hands had been instruments of violence and destruction in his past life, true, but could they not sculpt clay as easily as they had once sculpted flesh, coax the beauty and art out of object once as ugly and malformed as he had once been! He could paint! He could dance! He could sing! He... could taste key lime pie? That wasn't good.

Pitching forward and collapsing onto the ground as the his brain's internal hemorrhaging overtook even the supernatural toughness of his body, Goragh lay on the floor for several minutes, seemingly catatonic. Eventually, however, as regular as clockwork, the troll gets back up, looking around the room with a confused expression for a few moments before sliding into a cross-legged sitting position. Responding to any questions of the others with mumblings and grunts, he seems much more interested in fishing his wooden bowl and spoon back out of his "backpack". Wolfing down the gruel that begins to magically appear in the bowl, Goragh seems largely to have settled back into his old routine. There was, however, something nagging at him, something just outside of his thoughts that he couldn't quite get his hands on. There was this damned itch inside of one of his ears...
__________________
Every planet we reach is dead
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 04-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is online now
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 9687
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,404
For the most part of the next little while Arina kept to the back of the group, observing things, at least until the sounds of Taylor's words reached her ears. By the time the man had gotten out of that room he looked quite awful, at least until Jemma healed him. She had a feeling he may end up joining the network generated by the healer, it certainly had its benefits. "So what then, is our plan? I have a sanctuary spell, though I doubt the traps would count as the right kind of attacker." Truly, she had often felt unneeded on this quest, save for the times she had healed others, but all the same she didn't want to be elsewhere. Well that wasn't true, she would much rather be somewhere with a warm bath and books or scrolls to read through but she did not desire to abandon the task they had seemingly all set out to do.
__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Quori's Avatar
Quori Quori is offline
Upper for Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-18-2017
RPXP: 1249
Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori Quori
Posts: 2,131
Grak

With a lack of a serious plan developing to deal with the deadly rooms, Grak takes the initiative. "Alright, it seems we aren't equipped to deal with these rooms. We will continue down the original hallway and perhaps return if come to a dead end."

With that the goblin exits the room into the hallway in question, warning those exiting of the trap that the troll had recently fallen into, and taking a placement in the middle of the pack.

General DataFlying (floating 2 ft.)
Nimbus of Light (Active; Bright 5ft./Shadowy Illumination 10ft.)
60ft. Darkvision
__________________
Nothing to see here...
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Arucard's Avatar
Arucard Arucard is offline
Seahawks Fan(g) Cookies!
Good People  

Former Staff
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-07-2017
RPXP: 18563
Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard Arucard
Posts: 10,302
Grak the flying-and-glowing goblin leads the group out into the hallway, over the chalk-lined indication of Goragh's recently re-discovered trap. The hallway itself continues to be dark aside from the glow of the small humanoid; those with darkvision and who had been here before see the familiar site farther south of the gaping green devil's maw, and the gateway of mist. Those without darkvision see the faint glow of some colored light source down further south from the selfsame archway of mist.

DMOkay, no one is really specifying any movement paths or destinations so I'm just throwing you out into the hallway, since that seems to be the general preference. Much like someone bored with his ant farm's lack of fomenting civil war, I now await entertainment before dropping a big, angry earthworm into your hallways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	56359  
__________________
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

Want a new avatar? CLICK HERE!
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
DukeofTuring's Avatar
DukeofTuring DukeofTuring is offline
Back in green
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-08-2019
RPXP: 9935
DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring DukeofTuring
Posts: 8,179
Back out in the main hallway, Goragh accepts Jemma's enlarging effect with a sort of lackadaisical approval. Once enlarged, however, the troll seems much more enthusiastic about the effects of the power. Roaring, stomping on the ground, and gnashing his teeth, Goragh will, when prompted, run down the middle of the hallway, setting off trap doors as he goes. Tripping on one of the trapdoors, he somehow slides into a somersault by accident or design, rolling down the remainder of the hallway only to crash to a halt at the end. Gathering himself and taking his bearings, the troll looks up to see a green face above him, set into the far wall. That damned face...

Getting back to his feet, Goragh grips the face firmly, one clawed hand on each side, and
Dice STR Check to Remove Green Face #1:
1d20+12 (9)+12 Total = 21
tries to pull it off the wall. If his initial attempt fails, the troll
Dice STR Check to Remove Green Face #2:
1d20+12 (6)+12 Total = 18
redoubles his efforts, grunting and snarling as he
Dice STR Check to Remove Green Face #3:
1d20+12 (6)+12 Total = 18
works with his entire body.
__________________
Every planet we reach is dead
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB