RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Knick Knacks of Doom > Story Archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16108
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
While Hravingar batters at the last lock, Ezechiel pounds on the chain, racing to see who frees them first.
StatsHp: 42/62
AC: 24/13/23, +2 vs ranged attacks
Spd: 30'
Loc: in building
F/R/W: +9/9/8

Effects:
Aura of Awe: -2 to fear effects, to evil w/in 10'
Devil's Favor: 1/4 left
Bull's Strength (from Hubert)
Inspire Courage (from Ceridwen)
Devil's Sight: 2/4 uses left, 3/5 rounds left, blindsight 30'

Actions:
Move: set piton in chain#6
Standard: swing maul two-handed against set piton (foregoing attack roll)
Dice Maul damage (+1 electricity):
d10+4+3+1 (6)+4+3+1 Total = 14

Dice Strength check vs chain including piton, maul, and aid bonus (including Hubert):
d20+5+2+5+4sh26 (20)+5+2+5+4 Total = 36

Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Justiciar of Peregratas

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2421
brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka
With the last chain shattered Hravingar shouts, "Alright, get moving and get out!" as he too makes his way for the door and the chill of the nights air. When the cool hits him he drops to his knees and picks up a handful of snow, letting the cooling power of his mother flow through his hand and soothe the heat caused wounds.

OOCJust going to use 3 pts of lay on hands on myself to get rid of the non lethal.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9299
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Exiting the burning building the chill of winter is blessed refreshment and the fog clings to hot bodies like a cooling compress. A few deep breaths are what is needed to clear smoke from the lungs and then the scenery in the courtyard comes into focus.

While the heroes were breaking chains, so too seems to have been something else. The various chain gangs are standing a few feet away, kept at bay by the yipping and howling of the wolf, off its tether, and pacing back and forth to keep the slaves corralled. Somehow it's obvious the wolf loathes being denigrated to the role of 'sheep dog'.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
At this point, wholly unimpressed by the latest obstacle, the hellbred snorts contemptuously. He hands Hravingar his maul back, before pulling out his sword and shield. Striding up to the lupine creature, he berates it,
Dice Intimidate:
d20+6 (2)+6 Total = 8
snarling: "If you are one of the smarter breeds of wolves, favored by orcs and goblins, then hear this. Your masters are either dead or fled. Which lot of them you choose to join now is up to you. So, last chance: begone!" clearing ready to facilitate the other option if necessary.
StatsHp: 42/62
AC: 24/13/23, +2 vs ranged attacks
Spd: 30'
Loc: courtyard
F/R/W: +9/9/8

Effects:
Aura of Awe: -2 to fear effects, to evil w/in 10'
Devil's Favor: 1/4 left
Bull's Strength (from Hubert)
Inspire Courage (from Ceridwen)
Devil's Sight: 2/4 uses left, 2/5 rounds left, blindsight 30'
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
The wolf crouches low on its fore paws, head lowered as if to strike, and it sniffs at Ezechiel. "Which leader do you speak of," it responds, in an odd sort of growled common, "you who smell of hellfire under the wood smoke?"

Dice Vs. Intimidate:
d20+7 (9)+7 Total = 16

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; 07-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Happy that he was right and wasn't trying to cow a dumb beast, but not so happy that his snarl was too much wheeze from the smoke, "Surely, you didn't miss the orc chieftain head I blithely tossed down here," craning his head a little, "In fact, I think I see it lying over there. Beyond the orcs' chief, the rest of them are dead, gone, or on their way as you've no doubt noticed. The troll has even made itself scarce. Whichever of them you called leader, enough to remain chained here, has left you alone. Surely, you have better things to do than battle for an abandoned cause, against 4 seasoned warriors," adding in a whisper, "one of whom has indeed walked through hellfire and emerged." His own sword remains as poised as the wolf's fangs, waiting on its reply and decision.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
"And how am I supposed to get my family back now, that you've slaughtered the one who knows where they're confined? You've assured their demise more-so than my captor. I would take great satisfaction in your despair as I kill these slaves you fought so hard to free until you tear the breath from my body. I'd walk the dark forest paths to the howl fathers with a laugh at every step at the sport."
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Justiciar of Peregratas

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2421
brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka brann miekka
It was only after he stood back to his feet that he noticed the wolf was talking to Ezechiel. Hravingar moved closer to listen, then at his plight he pushed forward to stand next to his ally and said, "Do not act with haste brother, I wish not to see your blood today." taking another ragged breath to fill his smoke scarred lungs, the killoren warrior sheathed his blade and said, "If you leave now, I will see your family free if I must search the entire forest to do so, this I promise you. But if any more blood is shed today, then your family truly does have no chance."

OOC
Dice Diplomacy:
1d20+5 (9)+5 Total = 14
Old 07-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
The shadowbane's poised sword lowers. While the wolf's tale of a captive family might tug more at the heartstrings of the fey and historian, the eerie hellbred was not heartless either. He Detect Evil (sp, 60' cone)
Dice Sense Motive:
d20+11 (17)+11 Total = 28
regards the wolf carefully, asking in a measured tone: "Your service was unwilling? Well then, what is your name? And how many is your imprisoned family?" Scowling, "Then your former captor will laugh all the more from his abyssal torment at your despair and useless rage. Use your cunning; he wouldn't keep hostages far from his reach. You are free to roam hereabout and sniff out your missing kin." Pointing his sword at the room above where the troll was sitting, "For instance, the troll seemed intent on guarding something in there. The barracks behind us held no lupine prisoners, though you can check if you don't believe us."
OOCI might add something depending upon the result of my detect & check.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3118
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Dwen nods behind Ezechiel as she tries to shake her smoke-induced dizziness, before speaking to the wolf from behind the more martial of the party. "Help us out, and we'll return the favor, and you may well find them. You won't benefit if you rip us to shreds, and your despair would soon drown out any satisfaction you might derive. The people you keep here are slaves, the same as you, held away from their families. What purpose is there to keeping them here anymore? They've done nothing to you, and keeping them helps you not at all. I don't begrudge you your anger, but it's currently misplaced. Think of the satisfaction you'll have when your family is safe and you're free to hunt down the cowards who kept you here. Think of their faces when they know that you are their death, and they have no way to control you anymore. Think of the freedom you'll have to take your revenge. We'll help you find your family and win that freedom, but you have to let these people go. They are as innocent in all of this as your young."

This said, Ceridwen takes a deep breath, thinking to herself, I sure hope Ezechiel is right and the wolf's family are as easy to find as he supposes. We're screwed if they're not nearby.
Dice diplomacy:
d20+13 (18)+13 Total = 31
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck

Last edited by MagicallyMusing; 07-06-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
The wolf regards Ceridwen with the lupine equivalent of a raised brow. After a deep breath the wolf snorts. "I don't need your help to find them, you'll only slow me down. Break my collar and I'll tell you where the spare key for the slaves probably is." And after a pause the wolf continues, "And let you live." It husks in what appears to be a laugh at the joke. Upon closer inspection the wolf's iron band collar is riveted shut. No one intended to let this one loose.

OOC...but a 31 will turn unfriendly into friendly!

The wolf is quite definitely evil winter wolf(it has 6 HD, roll over this text to see what kind of wolf it is if you make the knowledge check.)

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; 07-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3118
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Ceridwen creeps cautiously closer to the wolf, laying a tentative hand on it's collar to assess how it might be removed.
Right, we'd only slow you down... Just a moment ago, you were saying that we'd assured your families demise by killing the orc, now you say you need no help and you can find them yourself. Make up your mind!

"I'll be honest, I have no idea how such a thing might be removed. I have no knowledge or skill in metal working, but we'll get it off you, one way or another. Perhaps I could break the rivet heads off with my knife, but I'm afraid that I might slip and cut you."
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck

Last edited by MagicallyMusing; 07-07-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
"Well, I don't have thumbs so out of the two of us, you're the best equipped to deal with this accursed device. I suggest finding another way than that though, as I wouldn't want to damage our burgeoning and tentative relationship."

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; 07-06-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Sheathing his sword, "Some of us better than others. Prithee, Ceridwen, allow me," pulling out his toolkit and coolly setting to work on the collar. "Relax, be still, and this won't take a minute."

Frowning some as he jams a small wedge into the first rivet, "I can tell you have been honest with us, but I also see your heart. We respect a desire to defend one's kin, but understand a similar wish with us. These souls here and the townsfolk nearby are 'neath our protection. Find your kin, make them safe & sound, but steer clear of this fort & the town, and all will be well between us. The forests are a big enough place that this should be of little trouble." A wry smile appears as he yanks out a loosened rivet with some pliers, "We wouldn't want to harm this our burgeoning relationship, after all. Do we understand each other?" While calmly delivered, the last question obviously held the weight of a potential dealbreaker. Aiding a wicked soul chaffs, even if for a noble purpose; however, aiding one who was intent on wreaking further evil on the souls he just saved is simply unacceptable, as much as he'd rather avoid another fight under the circumstances.
OOCEzechiel plainly pauses his work if the wolf does not offer some kind of affirmative.

Take 10 on Disable Device (with last DevFav bonus): 20, taking
Dice Roll:
2d4 1, 3 Total = 4
(4) rounds.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
"An armistice based on mutual threats. No truer treaty than that." Sidling away from them after being free the wolf casts one last longing look at the chained people, frightened and acting like sheep.

"The troll was ordered to destroy all copies of they keys they gathered upon seizing the fort. But in the noon, when he thought no one was watching, he instead hid them in a loose stone on the wall of the project house, the one you didn't set on fire. I know the keys to their shackles were among them, though I'm certain other areas may likewise be among the keys." With that the wolf turns to leave, but after a few bounds stops and turns back.

"The fort and its town may belong to you, but the forests are once again ours. The dark creatures, the ogres, the trolls, the goblins and the fell beasts. For too long have we lived at the very corners of the world. Again we thrive. You will find no quarter there from my pack or any other." He breaks into a long howl that stretches on for weary seconds. In the distance, faintly, a reply can be heard. "The winter wolves have other pray. Your pathetic humans need not fear our jaws and ice. But I do not control the forest or its denizens beyond my kin. The wild only respects what is defended by strength." The parley complete, the wolf disappears into the fog.