RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: W-Z > Wyrd Runes > Tribulations of the Stag
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2482
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
Chapter III: Kong of Meads

Jarl Yngvar had gathered his most loyal agents into the privacy of his hall, which had formerly been Viggo's hall. “I have spoken with the seer, and he tells me that my brother lives,” he informed them, “And he says that Roald will return.”

“Let the whelp come back,” one of the menn said, “He is no warrior! We would put a bloody end to him!”

“I warn you not to underestimate Roald,” Yngvar said. Many underestimated his slender sibling, but Yngvar did not fear him enough to have him killed for nothing. He knew Roald was a clever mann. “You will go forth as emissaries to the distant halls on my behalf. Acts as loyal retainers, but if you see Roald then kill him.”

The jarl stood and drew his sword, which gleamed faintly in the spares firelight. “Meanwhile, I have raids to conduct.”

Way away in the Dyr Haven, Dric's caravan traveled arrived at the place where they had made camp on their way to Hules. The company made camp there again. On this occasion, they spared the bump in the night that they had experienced previously, which unbeknownst to them had been the troll Wurd sniffing out the smell of frying bacon.

They arose early the next morning and pressed on into Staggheim. There was a great deal of commotion as the came to the town. The Company of the Stagg was dressed handsomely in garments tailored by the folks of Hules and adorned wondrous relics that bore the mark of the Undrawerk. Their reputations already great amongst the people of Staggheim, there could be no doubting that the company brought great tales back with them from Hules.

However, the way to Staggmeister Meaderie only skirted the town, so the caravan avoided most of the crowd. They soon found their way to the lonely path and the Brewmeister's cottage came into view. Immediately, they heard the familiar bark of Vala, who came up to welcome them home.

“Hi there!” Lollard exclaimed as he was drawn out of the cottage by Vala's barking, followed by Gunnar.

“How were the woods?” the Brewmeister asked, “And how was the harvest?”

Dim the Drowned|Dredethahal Tiasah|Mutant Crew
Tribulations of the Stag: King of Meads
Old 06-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5051
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
Bjorn will "smile" and wave to the Brewmeister, "Ho there! The woods held trolls and many bees, though the harvest seemed bountiful to one with little experience in gathering honey. How have the or weeks? Not for sure of the frame of timedays treated you?" he says as he walks up to the Brewmeister to give him a proper greeting.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Of Sunspear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2037
thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan
Sindri would have preferred simply crawling onto the nearest padded seat to regaling them with the exploits of the journey, but as always, there was simply no rest for him. And of course the oaf undersold them, as always.

"Lo, fair Brewmeister! Though our travels were fraught with peril, we persisted on through the most furious of our trials yet! In addition to learning a valuable trade and succeeding in our mission, we also come bearing new treasures! The finest weapons in all the land, I dare say! Though we hardly needed weapons. For with his own bare hands Bjorn the Magnificent here was able to wrestle a bear to the ground, claiming dominance and kinship with it. And I, with mine own humble fingertips, was able to coax out all the fight from a most ferocious and feral troll, my patron! It has now and forever been proven that music doth indeed sooth the savage beast."

He gave a quick flourish across the strings of his enchanted harp.

"Not to mention, we earned the good will of Hules. In fact, this fair gentleman here desired an audience with you.", he said as he beckoned toward the gnome with the completely preposterous chin beard.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier Grenadier
“I'll say the woods have hardly washed away the mann's sense of civility,” Lollard said with a laugh in response to the bard's tale, “Don't think I won't expect to hear each of those stories in detail later.”

“What of this drake?” the Brewmeister asked right to the point.

“I found in the forest,” Reynir said with a hint of defiance, “Its still very young.”

Gunnar merely grunted in reply. “And how was the harvest?”

“Fair,” Trygg answered, “As an alf maiden's golden locks in morning's first light.” He had been drinking a bit.

“And what about this gnome business?” the old man asked.

“Dunlin, sir,” the gnome said with a bow, “A tinkerer by trade, I was hoping that you might let me see your machines—”

“My machines?” Gunnar asked skeptically.

“Yes, sir, the ones you use to brew mead,” Dunlin continued, “I was thinking I might improve them, you see.”

“Improve?!” the Brewmiester asked a bit astounded by the idea. However, he knew the skill of the gnomes at gadgetry as well as any neighbor of Hules. “How might I know that I can trust you?”

“He has the word of a Warden to vouch for him,” Wendelen said as she stepped forth, “Dunlin is my cousin, and it would be appreciated by the folk of Brohala if you would accept him into your home.”

Gunnar considered it for a moment and then consented. “Very well,” he said, “You may stay for as long as you work. So let's get this honey unloaded and these merchants out of here, before they start talk of pay by the hour.”

Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven Unforgiven
"Aye, more work to be done. How exactly do ye plan to improve the brewing process Dunlin?" Bjorn helps to unload the honey and go about any chores needed, glaring at the drake from time to time, knowing that one day it would be a wild killilng machine and someone like himself would be called upon to kill it.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Of Sunspear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2037
thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan thrashmetaldan
Sindri nodded along with the conversation, doing his best to appear interested. In truth, his thoughts were far away. Plans to use his newfound influence to his advantage were ever brewing in his mind, but now his return to glory seemed closet than ever. At no point since he had arrived at the Stag has he ever felt so optimistic. The brewery was soon to be thriving like never before, and he was the reason. In no time at all, his new name would carry even more weight than his father's once had. And when he revealed himself to the world as Roald Viggoson once more, all would fear his glory.

Catching the past oaf's last sentence, he tried to input.

"Aye. They're already quite efficient."
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
The work did not take long. Reynir challenged Bjorn to a contest of manual labor, and the two of them split most of the work between them in an effort to prove which of them could carry the most. Afterwards, Sindri relayed the event of their journey into the Dyr Haven, telling of the troll of Sternplaster Bro and the ring of Brohalla before displaying the gifts the gnomes of Hul had bestowed upon the party. The lot of them had drank a great deal of mead by the time he came to Bjorn's wrestling match against a great bear over rights to the honey.

However, the were not afforded the luxury of a late morning the following dawn. Brewmeister Gunnar Olerec awoke them with the first light of Odur, and they made themselves busy with the business of brewing. It was painstaking work and time consuming, and all the while Dunlin was underfoot. Weeks began to drift by and the seasons changed. The snows came, and the menn were so busy working that they found themselves besieged within the hall. They rarely ventured outside except for wood and food.

One day the work ceased for everyone except Dunlin, who fiddled with the brewing utensils despite Lollard's protests. All of the honey was fermenting in barrels branded with the image of a stag. The snows continued, and by that time Sindri had told every story he knew save for the one he swore he would never tell. Finally, the snows ceased and winter passed, and the time to tell that story finally came...

News came to Staggheim of a royal wedding in the river town of Flodvie, and it seemed to weigh heavy on Sindri Tall Tell. The trust between the men had grown over the adventures and season, and the skald finally confided in the others that he was actually the son of Jarl Viggo and that he came to Staggheim after being usurped by his brother. Roald, as he was named, had learned a great deal of conniving from the gnomes, and he thought this wedding might be the chance to reclaim his throne.

"I regret that I must take leave of the Stagg, but my wyrd calls me to intrigue in Flodvie," Roald told them over a horn of mead. "I pray that I have repaid any debts I've owed to you, and I hope that one day Odur shall shine on our fellowship again."

Old 12-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Bjorn will go to Sindri, and clasp him hard on the shoulder in comradery,

"Aye, ye can be an annoying bugger at times, but ye've pulled yer weight and earned more respect from me then I'd expected. I wish ye well and hope that Odin has seen your wyrd successful, and if not, then I hope ye meet yer end in a manner befitting a prince. If ye fall, I swear I will do my best to see yer sent off like a king!"

Bjorn pats him on the back and salutes his bravery before he leaves, speaking a short prayer to Thor for his friend to have the strength to succeed.

After Sindri leaves, Bjorn will take a walk through the woods, and practice his bear form when he was far enough in the woods as to not draw attention, as he had done many times before. He would practice fighting imaginary foes and focusing his rage at the perceived targets. When his rage was exhausted, he will return to the lodge and Wendelen, sweaty and exhausted "Lad grew some courage, good to see him going to meet his fate, he spent far too long running from it."

OOCnot sure if you wanted me to post here or if you were going to make a new chapter, and I am assuming that Bjorn spent a decent amount of time exploring his bear form and with Wendelen since they had a thing going. If you want anything to happen during his events, just let me know and I will change the post a bit.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 12-15-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:54 AM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
After Bjorn said his parting,, Roylnir made an unexpected decision. "For what reason I cannot say, but I am certain my wyrd lies in Flodvie or perhaps even beyond. I've decided to travel with Roald," the young mann explained while scratching the chin of the wild drake that was perched upon his shoulder. The Brewmeister selected several of the finest barrels as their share and suggested that they offer it as a wedding gift, and Trygg gave them directions that had been honed over the course of his many wanderings. The rest were sold and the profits split amongst the others, except for a few choice barrels that they shared.

In the days following the depature of Roald and Roylnir, Trygg spent most of his time at the Ketil Sprak, catching up on the news from distant lands in exchange for his insight into Hules. More than once, he stumbled out into Odur's first light still drunk from the night before and hardly managed it back to the cottage before he passed out. Meanwhile, Bjorn spent that time between solitude in the woods and the company of Wendelen. In his time in the woods, Bjorn's senses seemed sharper than ever; however, his understanding of women was perhaps dulled by his beastial instincts.

"Perhaps, you it would be better for you think think of him as he had been hibernating rather than running," the sorcereress said playfully, "After all, not all of us are as direct as the bear." Her eyes dropped low, and her voice waivered. "Though it pains me to say so, the time is near for me to return to Hules. I have a duty as a Warden of the Dyr Haven to oversee the change of seasons, when the predators awaken from their slumber."

"You could come with me and spend the rest of your days eating grapes and honey, but I am afraid there would be little chance for glory amongst the rings. Besides, I have a feeling that the Brewmeister may have further need of you," Wendelen said with a hearty drink of Staggmeister.

DM NoteBjorn gained the title of "inn Volvast!"

Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Bjorn will throw his arm around her and pull her close, "Aye lass, I could go back with you, and I may do so in time. But first I must carve my name in the hide of the greatest dragon in the land and live up to the chosen of Thor that I have been named. My father has left me great boots to fill and I must surpass him so that when we meet again in Valhalla, I can look him in the eyes with pride and tell him the stories of my deeds. And I fear that even in settling down little angel, I am still destined to feast in the halls of Valhalla, and there is only one road there, I would not wish to put this burden on you lest you wished it.

And to that, if you are ever so inclined and are no longer needed by your people, you will always be welcome by my side, just follow my tales of glory and you will always find me.
"

Bjorn for one of the few times in his life, is not jovial but deep in thought at this, and solemn in tone. Holding the small woman in his bulging arms, he will not even going to roll, he knows he cant sing and tries anywaypoorly sing an old song of love and longing for her.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
Wendelen listened respectfully to Bjorn's clumsy song and agreed to his terms. "If ever my duty to the Haven should be fulfilled, then I would come to find you," the sorceress said softly. The two of them spent a couple more days together in the berserker's lodge on the outskirts of Staggheim, and then Wendelen departed with the merchant Bran as part of a caravan destined for Hules.

Bjorn returned to the Staggmeister. Outside the cottage, he came upon the crumpled form of Trygg lying on the porch alongside the aging hound Vala. The dog stirred as the warrior approached, although she did not commence to barking as she would have with an intruder. Still, she managed to wake the magician with her excitement.

"Bjorn!" the half-alf exclaimed sleepily, "Just the mann I was looking for!" As he spoke he brushed the hound's licking tongue out of his face.

"While you've spent these past few days in the company of that vulva, I've been working," Trygg used the term loosely, "And I think I might have discovered another opportunity for us to claim a little glory." At that point, he sat up and looked around until he found his enchanted drinking horn. He conjured a bit of golden mead and washed away the itch in his throat.

"They say that an expedition found hidden passages underneath the ruins that you cleared, and within those tunnels that found a considerable amount of treasure. However, they discovered something else as well, and the survivors were driven from the tunnels," the magician explained in only a moderately slurred tongue, "Even the warriors they sent to reclaim the treasure failed to return."

Old 12-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Bjorn takes a drink of his own endless mead flask as Trygg begins speaking, and laughs when Trygg mentions work, "My friend, from the number of empty mead flasks I would say you've been working harder than any of us to ensure that every mead barrel in town is empty!" he roars with laughter at his own joke,

When Bjorn hears of the dangerous adventer ahead of them he beams with excitement, "Fear not my very drunk friend, there is not Mann or beast that Bjorn, the chosen of Thor cannot defeat!" Bjorn slaps Trygg on the back, "Now come, we must go quickly to meet death, lest out places be taken in the halls of Valhalla!" With that and more laughter Bjorn rushes off to prepare his equipment and weapons for the coming trials.

Last edited by Unforgiven; 01-03-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Wizards Only, Fools

Tools
User Statistics
Trygg sobbered up a bit while Bjorn gathered up his arms, and then the two set out for Hjelmhald's outpost, where the heroes had driven the mongrel raiders from only one year prior. Although little had changed over that time, the forest seemed less wild than it had. One might have thought that they were merely less pensive about the woods now that there were not goblins about, but the truth of the matter was that these trees were tamer than those they had become familiar with in the heart of the Dyr Haven.

Before long, the ruined structure was half visible through the branches. Oddly, Bjorn thought he detected a rustling in the underbrush, but his companion had at least one ear worthy of the alfar and since Trygg did not seem alarmed the mann was content to ignore it. However, as they rounded a final bend and the outpost came into sight so did the unexpexted form of a mann, who was nearly as robust as Bjorn and had a head of brilliant red hair.

Trygg was at the bottom of another horn by that time, and he was a bit bewildered by his companion's tension. "Oh, yes... I may have neglected to mention: This is Sigvard, sonn of Haakon," the sorcerer said as he finally recalled, "Apparently... He is an old companion of mine and certainly not half bad with a bow."

"He wanted to share in the glory, and since the lead was as mine his as mine I could hardly deny him such an opportunity," the drunk slurred an explanation in order to smooth over the unexpected meeting, "Sigvard, this is the mighty Bjorn." As he introduced the menn, the vek made his way over to the entrance of the outpost.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster JKTrickster
Sigvard smiled and extended a hand to clasp Bjorn. His fiery red hair was tied back in a neat ponytail, but his face still had its characteristic messy stubble. It looked like Sigvard hadn't shaved for almost a week and it was definitely showing. Across his shoulder was a large bow made of yew and he had tied a quiver of arrows to his upper thigh. Although he was dressed warmly, anyone would be able to tell that Sigvard was not wearing a single piece of armor - quite shocking for someone who was supposed to be a warrior. Instead, he had a warm cloak and a bright green tunic that matched his brilliant green eyes. His clothes were a little ragged, as if he hadn't bought a new set of clothes in a while. His cloak looked like the newest article of clothing, but even that had obviously seen better days. It bore the insignia of the god Uller - not something that any lay person would automatically recognize.

"Well met Bjorn! I've heard that you cleared out this output yourself just a year ago? A mighty warrior indeed!" Sigvard said softly, but earnestly. As they clasped hands, Bjorn would easily be able to tell that Sigvard was wearing a ring, with the same insignia as the one on his cape. It was obvious that it meant a lot to him - compared to the rest of his clothes, this ring shined without rust or wear.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Lord Inquisitor

Tools
User Statistics
Bjorn is apprehensive at first, reaching for his weapon first, then hearing Trygg's explanation he bellows laughter extending his arm out instead to clasp with Sigvard, "Well Met Sigvard, aye, we cleared out these bandits, not much of a challenge though, they were just untrained muts." he says disdainfully.

After pulling away Bjorn looks over Sigvard and takes a swig from his mead horn before holding it out to Sigvard, "So then lad, ye come to travel with with Thor's chosen and this drunken cleric on our quest to cleanse a den of evil?" Bjorn slaps him on the back, "Good to have you! I can't say I approve of your main weapon choice" he motions to the bow, "But they do come in handy from time to time, I just hope ye have some experience in a real fight if it comes down to it!" He bellows laughter again as he gets his mead horn back and takes another swig, "Well my new friend, we have killing to be done, we shouldn't leave the Valkyries waiting to bring their souls off to the next world should they deserve it!"

Last edited by Unforgiven; 01-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.