twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11768
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Biu Xuz Quarne wund natha Kre'jin

Many were the ceremonies performed over the course of what some would count in hours. After several more, the body, both old and new, are called together over a meal to plan and prepare. An ebon stone table is set with a variety of silver platters, goblets, and flatware. Dishes of food both delight the eye and fill the belly while attendants course in and out of the room with whispered messages for either Mauzkyll, Nimor, or Chorister.

"The eyes and ears have retrieved that which will promote the goals of the Chaulssin in Ooltul. The masters of the eye tyrants abide in a hollowed cavern at the top of the pillar. These Phaerimm have left no physical way into their lair but maybe among you a way can be found. As Trieltar described in his dealings with the beholder Gargvantzee, the beholder resistance has made a chamber secreted from their masters which lies close to the chambers above. The eyes have seen this chamber and with our power, we can travel to this location without error. And from this chamber, you will need only pass the thickness of whatever stone lies between. Within the chambers, the eyes nor the ears can not discern for as we, the brotherhood have protected ourselves with powerful magics, so too have the Phaerimm. Plan wisely for shortly the body shall move against these masters so that our goals may be perpetuated" and Mauzkyll sits back down awaiting his newest adherents and allies to make ready all that they can before battle may commence.

Last edited by Securis; 08-03-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2960
Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers
Tou’Sal looks at those seated around the stone table and casually lays his hands before him, his fingers intertwined. He waited several moments expecting someone else to speak up but tires of waiting, “The obvious issue is how we get through that expanse of stone separating us from the Phaerimm, Vith’Dos and Father Nimor have shown some ability to manipulate stone, would either of you be able to open a passage?” he asks before continuing, “Though a single passage would make us easy prey as the phaerimm could hurl spells at us while we funnelled in. Ideally we could enter from multiple directions simultaneously.”

The dark elf reaches across the table and carefully selects a silver bowl filling it with an aromatic mushroom stew he spots amongst the dishes laid out upon the table.

Last edited by Whispers; 10-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34399
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Nimor nods, then whispers a quick response to a drow messenger. Shifting his gaze to the fine glass of wine he was twirling in his right hand, he replies to Tou'Sal.

"Manipulating stone is no difficult task, although arcane magic assuredly would be quicker and more effective than any of the magics I possess. I also believe my magics would be best used masking the group from the eyes and ears of the Phaerrim while we do so.

Treitar, do you possess a spell to bypass walls? Bhinnhir, can you craft something that will do the same?"
he asks.

"My Heart, do we know if spells are in place that will prevent us from moving upwards? Is there any reason why a simple levitation spell or a riding lizard could not make it up to the chamber?

And do we know how deep the stone walls are?"
he asks, politely moving his gaze from his wine to the Revered Grandfather as he speaks.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 796
Jinx Jinx Jinx Jinx Jinx Jinx Jinx
"Depending on the thickness of the stone which separates the hollowed chamber I may be able to create a passage way." Ter'alath adds to the conversation.

Reaching forward the member of House Ory'val reaches across the table and pours himself a glass of wine swirling it in a similar manner to Nimor. "Though like Tou'Sal has said at least one other point entrance would be ideal."

"What is our strategy once we gain access to the chamber? I have never faced a phaerimm and know very little about them. The extent of my knowledge is they feed off magical energy and are capable spellcasters."
Old 10-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
"The phaerimm are among the most powerful spellcasters in existence, with the innate ability to either reflect any magic cast on them or absorb it as a method of healing. Silence spells will have no effect on them, as they cast their spells are innate. If we are fortunate enough to get past the phaerimm's thralls, we must initiate physical combat as quickly as we can. And even then, it will be no easy feat, for they have 4 clawed arms, a wicked maw and a tail designed to impale enemies.

Our spellcasters will have to chose their spells wisely and ensure they are working around their magical resistance rather than overcome it. We cannot heal the very things we are trying to destroy - or even worse, have our own spells reflected on us to devastating effect.

This is no simple task we walk into. We must be sure that everything is properly planned out and we maintain our wits as we face these creatures. All of us must be protected from mind control and prepared for EVERY contingency.

Breaking into groups does give us a better chance of meeting our enemy, but I fear that breaking into multiple groups will be counter productive as we will need strength if we are to fight the beast."
Nimor replies, the matter of fact way he explains the power of the phaerimm masters sending chills up your spine.

Last edited by Squeak; 10-13-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers Whispers
"I did not mean to suggest we split into multiple groups only separate entrances, simultaneously. Only to avoid be caught by a well placed fireball." he sets his spoon down and fully meets Nimor's gaze, "They are to absorb all magic? Even that which is drawn from the shadow weave?"
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
"If all we had to worry about was a well placed fireball, we could go in with no fear. There are greater things to fear.

As for your other query, I cannot respond to that with certainty, but I do not wish to gamble my life that shadow magic would be different from any other forms of magic."
he says, returning Ter'alath's gaze.

"We will set the body in motion, seeking an answer to that question. But until we know for certain, we need to assume magic will react the same regardless of it's source."

Last edited by Squeak; 10-13-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Mauzkyll listens carefully before responding, "The pillar inhabited by the beholders is a honeycomb of passages and chambers in every configuration imaginable. These are navigable but for the beholders themselves. As Trieltar has explained earlier, the chamber where the Phaerimm reside is not connected to any passages where beholders would dwell. Gargvantzee's deal included the location of a chamber disintegrated into the bedrock near the protected cavern. Our eyes and ears cannot penetrate through our normal means and so the chambers are a mystery to us. Without real eyes in place, there is no way to tell what you will face."
Old 10-14-2014, 01:42 AM
Dread Necro Dog

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10898
Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus Sedracus
Ist'Myrthrae looked on and sampled a few pieces. While the undead mage did not require nourishment anymore, his taste buds had not quite eroded away and when there was something particularly tasty he did like to take a few small pieces. "Well, this looks almost like a hero's feast. Or perhaps that is a preparatory spell still to be used?" Ist'Myrthrae glanced askance at the various priests in the room.
As the discussion started, the ancient patron of house Orly'Val listened intently to the various pieces of information being shared, and then spoke as well: "Phaerimm move over the ground like the large slugs they appear to be. They prefer to use their perfect flight, though, and will rarely prefer engaging in melee. Most of them are sorcerers without a need for material or verbal components, and prefer misdirection spells such as charms, commands and illusions. They are perfectly capable of tossing out some evocations, though. They are all naturally capable of detecting magic, and can see the invisible, the astral, and the incorporeal out to a range of 120 feet. Stay outside that range as long as we wish to remain somewhat undetected, but be prepared to cross such a distance swiftly to engage in melee."
Ist'Myrthrae paused for a bit, as the shadow weave was mentioned: "I expect those adept at the use of the Shadow Weave shall have a slightly less hard time of affecting them with magics such as illusions, enchantments and necromancy, but the difficulty shall be great. Know that the Phaerimm are not strangers to the shadow weave - millennia ago, when the iblith Karsus cast his spell Karsus' Avatar, stealing all of Mystryl's might over the weave, his goal was to destroy the Phaerimm his people, the Netherese, were at war with. This caused the weave to collapse, and ancient Netheril to fall. It did weaken the Phaerimm for a short moment, though, since they were deprived of the ever-present sustenance they rely on, magic. I have no doubt that several of them would have turned to the Shadow Weave at that point, before they were locked away. How it came to be that these three are not locked away with the others, I do not know."
Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Yavdokya asks Ter'alath to pass the salt, slurping and chomping away at bread and soup with a fury. Elves do indeed suck, but they sure know how to cook a mushroom.

When Nimor mentions the optimal way of engaging the phaerimm, the drow-slayer perks up. "Physical combat you say? Now you're speaking my language. I guess if Bhinnhir is going along then I will to. Beholders are, after all, my second favorite thing to kill. Ol' Paul here needs to whet his whistle on something besides Drow from time to time. Isn't that right Paulie?" she looks down at her hip lovingly.

After a moment, she gives a great guffaw. "Paul!!! she says in surprise, as though just getting goosed. "You crack me up! Let's keep a civil tongue in front of our hosts though. Ha..." she finishes, wiping away a tear caused by laughter.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ter'alath slides the bowl of salt along the table towards the dwarf with a slight grin forming upon his lips. "Will we focus our attacks on one of the Phaerimm until it is felled or shall we spread out our attacks? Other than that I believe I am ready to move against our enemy."

Last edited by Jinx; 10-14-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
Nimor smiles at the over exuberance of Ter'alath and Yada. He knows they mean well, but they also have no understanding of the creatures they are about to face.

"You are ready? What defenses do you have against a Phaerimm master or a Beholder taking control of your body and turning you against us? If these creatures float away, are you equipped to take the battle into the skies?" he asks, throwing out a few questions to see if he truly was prepared.

"The Chaulssin do not go into any fight unprepared, we plan everything. Only by being prepared for the unlikely will we be truly prepared." he lectures.

"How is it that each of you plan on working against the beholders and against the Phaerimm Masters?

For my part, in addition to giving directing to all during the battle, I will attempt to use my magics to nullify the power of our enemies. The method will depend upon the attack, but I will be prepared to aid our allies, counter the spells of the evil ones and prevent them from working their magics on us."
he explains, patiently waiting for the others to explain where they saw themselves fitting in.

Last edited by Squeak; 10-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ter'alath Oryl'Val

Ter'alath smirks, "House Oryl'Val is always prepared. I have the ability to fly if needed and I will protect myself against evil, which will prevent our enemy from being able to control my mind, unless you and yours have a better means to protect us against such attacks I am afraid it is the only option I have at my disposal. I don't intend to be seen by the Phaerimm and will strike from the shadows when the opportunity presents itself."
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Tou'Sal chuckles at the ever boisterous Ter'alath. He has seen the drows ability to become one with the shadows and has no doubt that he could remain unseen from most creatures but wondered if he would be as successful against the Phaerimm.

"I would be more useful if I was able to work my magic against the Phaerimm but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I will hasten all our of speed for one, which will make us all more effective. I may hurl a spell at the Phaerimm right away to see if I can penetrate their defenses after all."
Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
While tactics are tossed about, Mauzkyll remains quiet but as per his usual prerogative, "My body, the heart desires to know what is the greatest need here so that we may act quickly. We may prepare for what we have knowledge of but we can but react to that which we do not know. What are our needs so that we may fill them and press the advantage of surprise?"
Closed Thread