Game Thread The Chamber of the Diamond Staff (final battle) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Vault of the Dracolich > Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-05-2015, 01:04 AM
hvg3akaek's Avatar
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek is offline
fires and floods
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 34618
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Posts: 56,518
The Chamber of the Diamond Staff (final battle)

The doors and magical walls open without resistance as the bearers of the idols move forward. Moving inside, the parties spread out a little, preparing to take react to whatever is within the dracolich's lair.

The polished walls of this chamber rise fifty feet into the air, interrupted only by a broad platform. Sealed ossuary vaults are set into the walls at regular intervals. In the center of the chamber, a six-foot-long crystalline staff hovers in a scintillating sphere of vibrant colors. Beneath the staff, a deep rift is cut into the floor, its bottom hidden far below. Magic circles set with pulsing arcane sigils are positioned around the room, and a dark priest stands atop each one. The cultists are channeling energy from the staff into their wards, and then into the chasm - although it isn't clear what the effect of this is, all could tell that it wasn't good!

Each bearer of the idol felt themselves drawn to one of the wards, their rune (and the idol, wherever it was stored) blazing with the colour of the sigil and energy being drawn from the Staff.

Allyx saw his destination in the south-western corner, though as he prepared to cross the chamber, he spotted the squad of acolytes and mercenaries readying themselves. At the same time, a roar echoes from the chasm. Huge, bony claws rise up from the darkness as Dretchroyaster emerges. The energy from the sigils flows into him, seeming to create a protective barrier.

Before Sevi could make her way across to the north-western section of the room, the ossuary panels set into the walls around the chamber begin to crack and fall away. Skeletons and mummified forms crawl out from behind them and move to attack.

Lysaruil had spotted his target directly north of where he stood, but the dracolich's presence was a concern...would they be able to get across the crevice before it made its way around to him? Surely, it would be easier for Winsol's quick dash to the south-eastern wards! Or, at least, it would, had Dretchroyaster not growled some words of magic. Within moments, a second roar echoed the first, as a duplicate of the dracolich appeared.

OOCInitiative! If you roll 14 or more, you can act first; otherwise, you can act after my update

Dark hooded enemies = dark priests
Red hooded enemies = cultists
Mummies, skeletons, and dracoliches should be clear.
The rest are mercenaries.

Those without numbers are allies, and the idol bearers are glowing in the same colour as their intended targets.

The sigil platforms are raised ~5ft.
The larger area to the west is raised ~10ft.

The doors / doorways will become trapped once the idol bearers move away, so it would be best to move out from them

And, the Diamond Staff is in the centre of the chamber, ~10ft above ground level.

[updated from Round 5]
Magenta " (\) " symbols = unconscious. (and grey = dead.)


 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Final Fight.png
Views:	167
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	64237  
__________________
Hugga asks: Who's disappointed with Westworld Season 3?
Games: HOF, VotV, T3E
=>> ...ball o' stress, as we wait for house contract to finalise... <<=

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 05-19-2015 at 08:09 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Spizzow's Avatar
Spizzow Spizzow is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-08-2020
RPXP: 1153
Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow Spizzow
Posts: 3,767
Siegfried boldly walks through the doorway first. The scene before him his chaos.... So many ... it doesn't matter... we have to win... He grabs the symbol of Lothander that hangs around his neck. He kisses it, saying a silent prayer. and steps into the madness.
 
__________________
Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. ~Mike Tyson
  #3  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
jrice408's Avatar
jrice408 jrice408 is offline
Ricey spice!
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2017
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-16-2018
RPXP: 13296
jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408 jrice408
Posts: 5,374
Daimi flounced into the chamber in her pretty pink dress, ready to strike terror into the hearts of evildoers. But where to strike first? There are so many to choose from! Dretchroyaster was tempting, very much so; a properly heroic opponent indeed. The appearance of the copy of the dracolich looked like trouble, though--One's enough. Sooo...just need to get rid of the second one. Simple. Right. It seems powered by the magic from the cultists, so if we can shut that down maybe it will go away. Also, I'd like to give them a good whack to pay them back for dropping me in this whole mess in the first place.

The tiefling plucked at Dusan's sleeve. "Hey, you know about magic--is whatever the cultists are doing going to keep me from smacking them?" Probably the pair to her right would be a good place to start; there seemed to be a whole crowd of allies she hadn't even met off to the left, and it seemed better to stay out of their way so they had room to work.

Initiative: 10
  #4  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 23870
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 14,163
Speed and Luck, two qualities that Flint lacked. The dwarven fighter took a deep breath before stepping through the door, the final plan having been to just rush in like before. Sometimes the most direct solution was the best.

Flint is ready as soon as he enters, taking note of only a few specific threats nearby, the only ones he could do anything about. It seems to him that they would have to clear away around to the other party and other wards. The closest enemy was the Dracolich himself! Then Flint notices that the energy from the wards are not protecting it, but rather a second Dracolich. The one in front of him must be an illusion. It couldn't harm him, could it? He moves a bit closer, unsure where the others are going to go. If he could smash this illusion, maybe he could dispel is somehow. Not knowing what else to do really, he just attacks it, leaping in to the giant horror with his hammer swinging hard and fast!


 
__________________
((()))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 05-05-2015 at 12:29 PM.
  #5  
Old 05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Aethera's Avatar
Aethera Aethera is offline
Ia! Ia! Aethera fhtagn!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 45378
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Posts: 17,272
Jormundr the dwarven fighter was only too happy to accept the remaining four of the druid's health-boosting berries, needing all the help he could get before entering the chamber. +4 hp for 48/52Once consumed, the dwarf entered the chamber boldly, ready to take on whatever was before them. He kept his shield between his allies and the scene they walked into, silently wondering just what the heck was going on here!

The hill dwarf looked around then connected glowing dots on the foreheads of a couple of his companions. "You, elf! Lysaruil! Stay behind some of us! We'll move slowly that way!" A glance over his shoulder at Winsol conveyed all he felt the halfling needed, the little sneak had been more than competent thus far. Jormundr had no such experience to make him trust the elf's intelligence in battle.

 
__________________
Status: Exhausted. Not sleeping well. Limited.
My Site ShtuffsGot Grammar?GM of Genius & Insanity
Nom Great Posts!RPGX RadioBBcode FAQDiscord Distractions!
  #6  
Old 05-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Anouris's Avatar
Anouris Anouris is offline
Caution
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 3448
Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris Anouris
Posts: 4,435
Prongs entered with rest. There was plenty to kill and it seemed reasonable enough which way to go first. He only took a moment trying to deiced what form to take first.

  #7  
Old 05-05-2015, 04:58 PM
RadarD's Avatar
RadarD RadarD is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-19-2020
RPXP: 1668
RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD
Posts: 3,569
The situation inside the room is far more chaotic than Feanor had anticipated but a quick glance around shows him what must be done.
"If we can hit them take out the priests!" he shouts to everyone.
"Lysaruil follow me around the platform" he says quieter to Lysaruil before moving behind Flint as he charges the dragon. A few steps towards the platform he draws and arrow and lets it fly from his shortbow, hoping it will disrupt whatever ritual is being performed. He continues his movement around the platform and taking cover behind it while waiting for Lysaruil and the others to follow.

 

Last edited by RadarD; 05-05-2015 at 04:59 PM.
  #8  
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Jarl11's Avatar
Jarl11 Jarl11 is offline
We The North
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-25-2020
RPXP: 25393
Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11
Posts: 7,425
Nath'klir stepped through the darkness to meet the evil that waited. The darkness parted for them and he made his way to the front, as his place should be.

Watching the colorful runes and flashing lights, he stands proud and strong as the enemy turns to face them. His friend and leader was nearby, that was good. All of Imani's remaining had shown up, shown their strength in the face of this dark creature. All was not lost. This group was here to right the evil and that was exactly as it should be. Thanks be to Tyr.

Last edited by Jarl11; 05-05-2015 at 10:06 PM.
  #9  
Old 05-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Neqq Neqq is offline
New Member
Good People
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 10-23-2017
RPXP: 23434
Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq Neqq
Posts: 4,898
Sevi stepped into the room her bow already drawn. The idol in her backpack was pulling her towards the north-western corner on the room. Before she gave into its urging she uttered a spell, "As this arrows flies, let thorns find my foe’s eyesComo esta frechas moscas , deixe- espiños atopar os ollos do meu inimigo." Her arrow glowed blue with the enchantment and she loosed it at a cultist to the south west of her position.

In a moment the arrow was buried deep in the hooded figure's chest , above him a cloud of thorns appeared and rained down on him and the Dark Priest next to him.

As the cultist fell Sevi followed up her attack with a second arrow that struck the Dark Priest in the stomach.

Immediately her attack was made she was on the move screaming out to the paladins, “Nath, Rhogar with me!”

 

Last edited by Neqq; 05-05-2015 at 11:25 PM.
  #10  
Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 1,835
Lirel looks around and her eyes widen as she sees two dracos. One as to be a fake, but which? Then she hears a shout to attack the priest first. Sounds good plan as any. She draws her bow.

Last edited by WildJessi; 05-05-2015 at 09:23 PM.
  #11  
Old 05-05-2015, 09:35 PM
zarzak's Avatar
zarzak zarzak is offline
Dragoon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-04-2020
RPXP: 1278
zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak zarzak
Posts: 3,173
Kaland, upon seeing the scene in front of him, immediately saw that there would be no thief work to quickly grab the staff and run. No - this would be a full-fledged battle, and that with almost all of his magics drained. Gritting his teeth, Kaland raised his arms, throwing a small licorice shaving into the air and muttering a soft word. The shaving twirled once before falling. Flint felt his pulse quickening, as waves of magic flowed through the dwarf.

 
  #12  
Old 05-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Jarl11's Avatar
Jarl11 Jarl11 is offline
We The North
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-25-2020
RPXP: 25393
Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11 Jarl11
Posts: 7,425
NPC - Rhogar

The dragonborn stepped through the dark at the head of the group, eager to prove himself and redeem his honor or die in the attempt. Rhogar only snarled at the fiends and their lights. My god will destroy you.

"The undead are mine." And he nodded as Sevi moved his way, urging him into action. Immediately he begins rushing north to meet the undead head on but paused before going too far. The dark priest and the cultist nearby were distracted. It gave him an idea. Moving around to their flank, he lined up the mercenary on the far side of them and inhaled, puffing out his chest and standing with feet wide. With a challenging roar, a stream of fire burst from his open jaw, touching and wrapping around each of the three enemy. Bahamut be with me.
 
  #13  
Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 PM
anamiac's Avatar
anamiac anamiac is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 4857
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Posts: 5,872
Badger stumbles into the room, trying to take in everything. The obvious first action was to kill the little minions, the dracolich could come after that. He attempts to cast a cloud of fog on the group of enemies in the corner, but the spell doesn't work... that's when he remembers that he didn't prepare that spell this morning! Dumbfounded by his own stupidity, he stands there doing nothing.

Initiative = 4
__________________
We are men of action, lies do not become us.
Westley - The Princess Bride
  #14  
Old 05-06-2015, 04:29 AM
hvg3akaek's Avatar
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek is offline
fires and floods
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-23-2020
RPXP: 34618
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
Posts: 56,518
Those swift enough to move stride forward, bringing whatever weapons they have to fight their enemy. Fire scorches the cultists near Rhogar, whilst Sevi and Fearnor work to take down the cultists at another sigil. One drops, leaving the other spilling blood onto the stony floor.

Flint bravely strides forward to attack the dracolich's summoned copy, and quickly feels the power of Kaland's magic wash over him.

OOCRound 1: Update 2

If you haven't rolled initiative yet, do so If you roll 14 or more, you can act first; otherwise, you can act after my update Those that have already acted / posted, please wait until my full update to act again (or for the first time ).

See the first post for a key to the map.


 
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Final Fight.png
Views:	77
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	64275  
__________________
Hugga asks: Who's disappointed with Westworld Season 3?
Games: HOF, VotV, T3E
=>> ...ball o' stress, as we wait for house contract to finalise... <<=

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 05-07-2015 at 06:18 PM.
  #15  
Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM
jbear's Avatar
jbear jbear is offline
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-25-2020
RPXP: 14028
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Posts: 8,889
Hogart limps into the room noisily dragging his bad leg along with him as best he can. "Oh by the Beard" is all he has time to exclaim before the room begins to erupt into frenzied action. Hogart was not one of those swift ones ready to act before the evil within the room.

Initiative=8
__________________
"Kill them all!"
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB