Game Thread Chapter IV-c: Fallout - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pokemon > Pokemon - Forgotten Stories > Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:28 PM
"Not just a pretty face."

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16530
Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin
Julia Kretschmer
'I'm--I'm winning!' Unable to hide the beaming smile that creeps onto her face, she is, at least, able to surpress the little wave of excitement that runs through her--more of a little shiver than giddy fidgeting. [b]"It waaas!"{/b] Julia adds to what Tamara says, "Good job, Coil!" The Magenmite turns to Julia a moment, lazily drifting in the air, then just turns back away without so much as saying anything. "Heyy... " The action makes her smile shift to a bit of a pout for a moment.

And then, to a frown. "We'll see!" Julia calls back to Tamara, crossing her arms--though she's ready to return Coil as she sees Tamara's new Pokemon appear, figuring Coil isn't going to last much longer. "Don't forget Glitch won me my last battle, and I still have him waiting in the wings! But it looks like Coil has this!"

The sight of the new Pokemon leaves Julia a little apprehensive. Yet, at the same time. 'It looks like a bird... so it must be a flying type, right? If Coil can take one more hit... ' She grits her teeth as the Murkrow swoops in. "... Hang on Coil, you can do it!"

Not realsing the Murkrow held back, and thinking maybe it just wasn't strong enough to get passed Coil's defenses, she grins and calls out: "Okay, quick! Thundershock it back, Coil! And you apparently underestimated Coil, Tammy! Your Pokemon couldn't even hurt him this time!"

Another crackle of electricty, and a moment later another powerful blast is AC of 14. 35 damage again.sent straight at the Murkrow right next to Coil in the air
Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25583
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
"Pfff, don't get too cocky. There was a lot of luck involved there...Though you are cute when you show some confidence." And Tamara is probably right. Julia got lucky that Jacka didn't come at Coil harder, because worst case, judging by the coloration and the mean look, it could be a dark type. Glitch might be Julia's toughest pokémon, but against a flying dark type he's going to be in a lot of trouble.

Fortunately for the young pokéball designer, Coil has hung in there, and repeats another strong electric attack. As Julia had predicted, the flying type has no chance. It tries to evade the Thundershock with a panicked mid-air maneuver, but is hit head on, the electricity coursing all throughout it's body before the Murkrow drops to the ground, taken down in one hit. It whimpers briefly, before no longer moving, but despite the strong attack, it doesn't look like it has taken any permanent damage.

"Well done, you've gotten a lot tougher since last time." Julia's petite opponent says, returning Jacka to its ball. "Which just confirms you should be challenging the gym leader. Maybe a little more practice first, and making sure you don't get carried away just because you won, but other than that I still think you should give it a shot while we're here. But first, let's go get our pokémon checked out at the pokémon center!"
Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin Captain Devonin
Julia Kretschmer
"Tch!" The only response Julia is able to give to Tammy's words, unless that blush returning once more could also be taken as another answer. Meekly, she glances down to her feet a moment, though upon hearing the crackle of electricty and a call from Coil, her eyes dart right back up to catch the final moments of the battle. Once more, a look of concern crosses her face as the dark flying Pokemon goes down, but it passes once Julia can see there's no sign of serious injury--which leaves her shaking with barely-contained joy at beating Tamara in the battle. To the point where she very nearly runs out, jumps up, and grabs Coil to pull him down into a hug.

Except, there's only two real ways she sees that playing out: the first is that Coil shakes her off or she loses her grip, falls on her ass, and gets laughed at by Tamara, and the second is Coil gives her a little zap, giving her quite the shock and leaving her hair standing on end for Tamara to laugh at. ... In the end, she decides to just call to Coil. "Good job, Coil! You were great! Come back and take a rest!" And the gleeful steel-type soon vanishes in a glow of red light, called back into his Pokeball. 'That... that really didn't go as bad as I thought it would... ' Julia reflects inwardly for a moment, 'If we can keep this up, then maybe... maybe I will stand a chacne against whatever those... those things those people use are... they aren't Pokemon... are they?'

Beaming upon hearing Tamara's words, Julia just nods in response, though she lets out a nervous breath as Tamara continues about the gym. 'Well... that was the plan, right? If I beat Tamara... If.. I beat... OH!'

"And don't forget you owe me a favour now!" Julia states, crossing her arms. "We made a bet, and I won... " Her second sentence is spoken a little more hesitantly, as though suddenly worried for a moment Tamara might be bothered by her bringing it up, but she pushes the momentary anxiety out of her mind. It might just be the thought of battling a gym leader, who she heard were supposed to be a lot tougher than your run-of-the-mill trainers. Well... Tamara wasn't really run-of-the-mill either, is she? One look over her friend leaves Julia shaking her head to answer the question in her mind.

"I'll check out the gym, at the least... Sofia would kill me if I didn't," the young trainer adds a short beat later, "And I won't get carried away." Quietly agreeing to a trip to the Pokemon Center, she allows Tamara to take the lead in their trek there, uncertain about her sense of direction in the new town. "If we go there and you challenge them... maybe I will too... "
Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
"I know, I know." Tammy says, raising her hands defensively. "A deal's a deal. I owe you a favor. Of course, now all you need to do is decide what it is you actually want..."

The two girls head towards the pokémon center, with Tamara leading the way, looking pleased that Julia seems to be considering checking out the gym. "Your sister would be right to, too. You're already pretty good, but you haven't actually put all that much work into battling. If you want to be able to defend yourself against weirdos, it'll take some effort. And the best motivation to put in that effort, and the best check whether or not that effort is doing you any good, are the gyms."

As the pair of young trainers reaches the pokémon center, Julia brings up Tammy challenging the gym. This quickly prompts the petite girl to shake her head. "No can do, sorry. Already have that gym badge. Maybe some day it will be time for a rematch with the leader, but this is not that day." The black haired girl turns to Julia, a confident smile on her face. She seems sincere when she says she already possesses this gym's badge. Which would mean she beat the gym leader. So what does that say about Julia being able to beat her? The young pokéball designer has a large chunk of time to think about while she and Tamara sit in comfortable leather chairs in the waiting area, waiting for their pokémon to be taken care of...
Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretschmer
"I have a few ideas," Julia says quickly, half-wondering if she could use this favour to get out of the clothes shopping thing she got herself into. Though, at the same time, she decides not to mention it for the time being, in hopes Tamara forgot!

To what Tamara says of her sister, Julia only grumbles and rolls her eyes. Then makes a mental note to never let Tamara and Sofia meet, it would be the end of her. The compliment causes another bit of pink to come to Julia's cheeks and face, and she nods. "Y-Yeah, I guess you're right... "

A look of surprise comes to Tamara saying she already beat the gym. "Wait, what? Really?" A bit at a loss for words, she's silent as they enter into the Pokemon Centre itself, the gears in the gearhead's mind turning, and putting the pieces together of 'If Tammy can win, and I can beat Tammy... ' rather quickly. 'And it would be good training too... And if I came home with a badge, Sofia might not bother me about it as much... And--' Her mind goes off listing the possibiltiies, leaving her a little distant as she gives Mizu and Coil to the nurse.

Once she's comfortably seated, she lets Glitch out of his ball, who promptly then begins to spin in place as it looks between the two girls. Leaving Julia rubbing her forehead, and trying to ignore it.

"Okay, let's go to the gym the moment we're done in here," Julia says, nodding her head after having made up her mind. "Then we can head toward where we're going tomorrow morning?" She tries to innocently pretend like she doesn't recall the other plans, even going as far to get out her PokeTOP to idly browse it. 'And forget allll about the shopping... '
Old 09-24-2016, 03:57 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
"Alright, if you insist..." Tamara says with an impish smile on her face, as if she had just maneuvered Julia to do exactly what she wanted. Or perhaps the young pokéball designer is just imagining it, because she's paranoid about the shopping thing, which, luckily, the petite girl doesn't bring up again for the moment. Of course, whether that's because she forgot, or whether she is strategically not mentioning it until they've gotten through the gym is anybody's guess.

The two girls wait for their pokémon to be fully taken care of, and the moment they are, set out in the direction of the gym. Tammy leads the way, roughly, though she occasionally has to take a moment to reorient herself. It's clear she remembers generally where she is going, lending credibility to her claim that she has been here before, but it's also apparent that she doesn't remember exactly how to get where she wants to go.

"Aha! There we are!" The black haired trainer exclaims suddenly, after rounding a corner. As Julia follows around the turns, she can see how Tamara can be so sure. The two of them are standing at the foot of a hill, in the middle of town. A straight road leads up to the tower at a rather steep incline, still walkable, but certainly not without some effort. The way up is flanked, on either side, by an impressive collection of statues. Each bigger than Julia, they depict various bird pokémon in different poses. Off hand, the young pokéball designer can see a diving Staraptor that is about to grab a Rattata desperately trying to flee in the grass, an Unfezant sitting on a nest, as well as too vicious looking Fearow locked in aerial combat. The work is incredibly intricate, and except for the color, all of the statues look quite lifelike. "Impressive, isn't it?" Tamara asks, and she is quite right. The whole way up the road, on both sides of the way one of these statues stands every ten meters. Each of them probably handcrafted. And all of it flanking the road to the top of the hill, where a high tower stands, looming over Julia. "So, figured out what sort of pokémon the gym leader uses yet?" Again there is a grin on the petite girl's face. If she thinks Julia should have worked it out by now, there really aren't a lot of choices.

"Alright, ready to begin your ascent?" Ascent is, of course, overkill to describe what the two girls are about to do, but as they begin the walk up towards the top of the hill, the young engineer realizes that the incline is enough to make her breath hard. And between the statues, and the looming tower, the whole thing seems sort of intimidating. Sure, she knows that that is almost certainly by design, but somehow that knowledge does little to quell any fears that might be rising up. On the other hand, Tamara would never let her live it down if she backed out now, after how eager she had exclaimed they would go here right away.

Finally, out of breath, Julia reaches the top of the hill, and as the ground levels out, she sees she only has another fifty feet to go before she reaches the doors to the tower-shaped gym...that somehow doesn't look any less imposing now that she is right in front of it. Here, for this last part, the statues change. They are still all of bird pokémon, though Julia admittedly was too busy with the climb to really pay close attention to all of the ones she passed so far, so maybe there was some diversity along the way. Here there is not. For this last part of the way, every single statue is the same. Every single statue depicts a Pidgeot, and every single one of them sits in the same pose, on a statue of a branch. Wings folded in, they all look out menacingly at the road, exactly where the two trainers will have to walk. "You ready?" Tammy asks, before leading the way.

Under the watchful gaze of a dozen Pidgeot, Julia advances to the large sliding glass doors that lead into the tower's ground floor. The glass is tinted black, so the young trainer doesn't get her first glance at what she is about to walk into until she is standing right outside them and they slide open. What she does see, is the calligraphic writing above the doors, which spells out Tornado Gym - Do you have the strength to weather the oncoming storm? in large letters. When the doors do slide open, they reveal what seems to be some sort of reception. It seems like the entire ground floor is one big room. Up straight ahead, Julia can see a desk with what appears to be a receptionist behind it. Off to the left are a few comfortable looking chairs...some sort of waiting area. But it is the room itself that is the most impressive. The ceiling seems to be somewhere between fifty and a hundred feet above the ground, and is painted in a light blue that makes it look like the sky outside, creating the illusion that this room is even bigger than it already is. Large trees sprout up in several places, likewise reaching around 60 feet or so into the air. Looking down, Julia can see they grow right through holes in the ground, with the floor around them cracked, as if they had sprung up and broken their way through the ground. Naturally, that is impossible, but for the life of her Julia can't figure out how exactly they got the trees there that way, unless they built the floor around them...which is just ridiculous. Up overhead, higher even than the trees, is a complex construction of ropes, perches, wooden crossbars...the whole thing looks almost like an oversized, airborne playground or something. Which it probably is, Julia realizes, because there are a lot of bird pokémon swooping around and screeching up overhead. Most of them are constantly in motion, so it is hard to get an exact count, but the young pokéball designer estimates there are at least twenty. There are some Pidgey sitting in the trees, some Spearow diving through the ropes up above and grabbing the perches out of full flight, something brown and owl-like taking a nap in the crown of a tree...and that's just what she instantly makes out and recognizes. She is pretty sure she can see the silhouettes of some bigger birds up in the highest parts of the room, on the top perches, but with large lamps shining down from above them, it is impossible to make out any details.

Except for the 'wildlife' and the woman at the desk, who looked up at them when the doors slid open, the room is deserted. Tammy marches her straight towards the desk, while Julia is still trying to take in everything around her. As she walks, she spots the doors to three elevators on the back wall...which must be how the rest of the building is accessed. She doesn't have long to think though, because a moment later she is standing in front of the receptionist. And her friend has apparently decided it is turn for her to take over herself, because when the woman asks how she can help them, Tamara just steps back and motions for Julia to go forward and speak up.

When the girl manages to tell the receptionist what she wants, the woman smiles. "Very good. Unfortunately the gym leader is currently out on ranger business, but we are expecting him back within the hour. You are very welcome to wait over there. I can go ahead and scan your documentation so that you'll be all ready to go when he gets back?" - "We'll wait." Tammy interjects, before Julia has a chance to answer. "I know it can be hard to catch him sometimes, and we wouldn't want to miss him because he's out again when we come back. Besides, we've already walked all the way up here." The petite girl waits for Julia to hand over her trainer ID, and then leads her over to the seats to wait. "So, nervous...?"

Last edited by Inem; 08-23-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretschmer
Julia just blinks to ominous sounding nature of the 'if you insist' line, leaving her mind reeling. Insist on what? It's a question that floats within her mind for the next short little while, monetarily suppressed each time she considers something to ask for, and by the time their Pokemon are healed and they've found the gym, it's all but forgotten.

With her eyes generally turned to the sidewalk, the first thing Julia spots as she looks up at Tamara's words is the walkway. It draws a groan from the trainer, but that's short lived next to the sight of the statutes and the gym itself. "Y-yeah," she answers Tamara absentmindedly, until the more direct question, making her blink back to reality. Her mind only takes a second to come up with an answer. "Flying types?"

And then a huff! "... Noooot really... " she answers to the question of climbing that hill, but begrudgingly tags along, only staring up toward the gym itself for so long before her eyes end up back on the path in front of her, and the backs of Tamara's heels. The anxiety is rising, but she tries to keep one little thought in mind: Tamara won, she beat Tamara, that means her chances must be pretty good too. 'Right? Wait. Tamara never actually -showed- me a b... Tamara!' Her head lifts and she eyes the back of the other girl's head. '... Did she just say that to get me up here?'

At the top, she needs a moment. Doubled-over with her hands resting on her knees, her chest aching some. Julia even has to place her bags down for a moment to rub that sore spot where her ribs had disagreed with remaining in their proper place. She holds up a finger to tell Tamara one moment at the question, needing a few more before the pain subsided enough for her to lift her shoulder bag and throw it back over her shoulder. The backpack, however, she hands to Tamara. "Can you carry this for me? I did not really expect a climb like that... there's... an easier way down, right?"

Her rest over, she proceeds toward the front doors, eyeing the statutes. 'That... would probably be his signature Pokemon then, or something, right? That thing looks strong... Coil is going to be my best bet, but I'm not even sure he can stand up to that. I'll have to save him as my Ace, and see if Mizu or Glitch can do... anything against that. Glitch's psybeam is pretty powerful.. '

Initially lost in thought of strategy, she doesn't quite notice much of anything but the floor until she hears the receptionist's voice, making her pop her head up, and then go wide-eyed at the sight. "Ohwow." Her eyes follow the trees to the ceiling, to the ropes, perches, and crossbars, to the ceiling. '... Mizu is not going to help here, I'm glad Glitch and Coil can fly.' After craning her head back to look up, she finally turns her gaze back down toward the receptionist.

"Oh, um," she begins as Tamara thrusts her into the spotlight -- which Julia gives Tamara a short-lived dirty look at -- she answers, "Here to... challenge the gym leader?" She opens her mouth, but Tamara catches in first, and she lets out a sharp breath. As Tamara talks, she digs into her bag to get her identification and hand it to the receptionist, frowning as her friend points out the climb. That's certainly something she doesn't wish to do again anytime soon. An hour of rest would be useful, though if she loses...

"Ah.. uh.. yeah.. " Julia answers quietly, chewing on her lip as she drops her bag onto a nearby seat then flops down onto another and lets out a breath. "... Are you... sure about this?" she questions, as though Tamara is the one challenging the gym leader, not herself. "I'm really starting to think I'm not going to stand much a chance, especially if he uses that Pokemon from the statue outside... "

For the moment, thoughts of a favour, or Tamara's plans, are a fleeting memory.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Tamara seems surprised at just how much trouble Julia is having with the climb, but perhaps she had already pushed the girl's recent hospital visit to the back of her mind. So when the young pokéball designer asks if she can carry her pack, the petite girl readily agrees. On the note of an easier way down she remains mysteriously silent, however.

Time passes slowly. A seeming eternity later, Julia is sitting in one of the chairs in the gym's lounge, waiting for the gym leader's return, and questioning her ability to take him on. "Uh...you don't really know how gyms work, do you? You're absolutely right, if Brent uses his best pokémon, you'll have no chance. He'll absolutely crush you and rip you to pieces. Hell, he doesn't even have to use any of the pokémon from the statues outside. Most of his mediocre pokémon probably outclass yours by so much you can't even measure it. He's really, really strong. That's why he's a gym leader. They're all really, really strong. But if they always used their strongest pokémon, no one would ever stand a chance. Or at least almost no one. The point of the gyms isn't to measure whether you are stronger than the gym leaders. I'd say at least 90% of the people who end up earning gym badges aren't...maybe even more. The point of gym matches is for the gym leaders to judge your strength, and your maturity as a trainer...respective to where they think you should be at that stage of your 'career'." The raven-haired girl makes air quotes around the last word as she says it. "Every gym leader will have different expectations of course, and different things he or she values. But the general consensus is that they chose pokémon based on the number of badges you already have. So if you have somewhere between zero and two badges they'll probably use new and young pokémon they haven't had so long. If you have a few badges, they'll use something from their mid range. And once you have like five or six badges...that's when you'll really start seeing their best pokémon. That's when the gym leaders really want to see if you're better than them. But before that...they realize you are still at the beginning of your journey, and that you need the chance to grow. They're here to present a challenge, but not an impossible -"

Any further explanation on Tammy's part is cut off, as a large impact outside the gym shakes the ground. "Ah, there we go, that'll be him." Julia looks up in the direction of the gym doors just in time to see the red light of a pokémon being recalled and a young man entering the building. Wearing loose-fitting black pants out of some soft-looking material like silk - Julia isn't really an expert on this sort of thing, so it is hard for her to tell - and a crimson shirt, the stylish sunglasses he pushes onto his forehead as he enters and the blond hair that looks stylish despite being messed up enough it gives him the appearance of just having walked through a windstorm, the gym leader looks to be no more than 25 years old. As he walks up to the front desk, he pulls off a pair of fingerless leather gloves. As Julia watches, she realizes there is only one way to describe Cheacia Town's gym leader: Cool. Under other circumstances, he's the sort of guy she might have been to shy to approach back in her school days. Now, not only does she have to talk to him, she actually has to challenge him to a battle.

Brent, as Tamara had called him earlier, walks up to the desk and chats with the lady there, leaning onto the counter. After a brief exchange, she points over to where Julia and Tammy are sitting. Apparently, with all the bird activity going on, Brent had not yet noted the newcomers, but when he does, he instantly begins walking over to them. "Well hello there, Miss Unruh. I know we said we'd have a rematch some day in the future, but I must say I'm very surprised to see you back here this early. Miss me already?" - "Very funny, Brent. But no, I'm just here accompanying my friend today. Since we were coming through town, she thought it would be a good idea to give your gym a shot." is all Tammy has to say in response to the gym leader's joke.

"Well then, pleased to meet you. My name is Brent Kapershian, and as you've already learned I'm the gym leader here. So, you're here to challenge me then. First gym? Well then, let's get to it. You never know when my ranger duties might pull me away spontaneously, and I'd hate to have to interrupt our fight in the middle. Why don't you head over to the elevator over there on Sally's right, and take that up to the arena. I'll meet you there in a few minutes after I fetch some appropriate pokémon." He indicates an elevator on the right hand side of the reception desk, before heading off for another elevator himself. "Oh." He says, turning around and adding an afterthought. "We'll do two versus two pokémon, so you can go ahead and think about your possible options while you're waiting for me."

Then he is gone, just as soon as he had appeared, leaving Julia with no other choice but to follow his instructions and enter the elevator. Inside, there is only a single button to press (other than 'Reception'), and before the pokéball designer has a chance to change her mind, Tamara has already pressed 'Arena' with a grin on her face. The elevator sets into motion, slowly at first, then speeding up. Judging by the length of the trip, they must be going up pretty high in the tower, leaving Julia to wonder why the arena wasn't placed more conveniently in one of the lower floors. Unless the long elevator ride is once again intended to psych out challengers? No, when a 'bing' sounds and the elevator door opens, the young trainer gets her answer: Instantly wind blows into her face as she finds herself standing on the roof, high up in the air, overlooking the city. Stepping out, she feels a little chilly, but at the same time she finds herself amazed by the view, and by the arena.

"So, ready now?" Tammy asks once more, leading Julia over to one side of the battle field. Even though she is standing right next to the pokéball designer, she has to raise her voice slightly in order to be heard. It really doesn't matter whether or not Julia is ready though, because at this point there is nowhere to run. All she can do is stand at her end of the battlefield, with the wind blowing into her face, and wait for Brent to turn up. If she wants, there is enough time to give her pokémon a pep talk. But about five minutes later, another ding sounds, and the doors of the second elevator on the roof open. The gym leader steps out, still wearing the same outfit, and despite being dressed in light clothing not looking the least bit cold. Behind him walks a younger trainer, probably in his early twenties. Likely another member of the gym who Brent recruited to referee the match.

In a confident stride, the gym leader walks over to the other side of the area, standing opposite Julia. And, Julia realizes, standing exceptionally close to the edge. It is at this point that looking behind her, the young engineer realizes that she is likewise standing less than ten feet from the edge of the rood, increasing her anxiety about this whole situation quite a bit.

"THIS GYM MATCH BETWEEN THE GYM LEADER BRENT KAPERSHIAN AND THE CHALLENGER JULIA KRETSCHMER IS ABOUT TO START." The referee calls from the side of the battleground, shouting to be heard over the wind. "THE MODE OF BATTLE IS TWO VERSUS TWO. SUBSTITUTIONS ARE ALLOWED BY BOTH SIDES. THE BATTLE WILL END WHEN BOTH POKEMON OF ONE OF THE PARTICIPANTS ARE UNABLE TO BATTLE OR WHEN ONE OF BOTH SIDES GIVES UP. AS THE GYM LEADER, BRENT WILL SEND OUT HIS POKEMON FIRST."

"Alright, here we go. Stand by for battle, Autan." Brent throws his pokéball out into the arena, and a moment later a Spearow appears there, looking harshly at Julia. There is a look of determination on its face as it lets out a screech. Even if this is one of Brent's newer or younger pokémon, it looks like this one has been through a few battles and knows exactly what to expect.

"Well, this is it Julia. Good luck, I know you can do this!" Tamara calls out from the sidelines. Now all Julia needs to do is send out her first pokémon, and then, like any other match, the battle will begin...high up in the air over Cheacia Town.

OoC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreCombat-01.png
Views:	54
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	70578  

Last edited by Inem; 10-11-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:45 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretchmer
A quiet shake of her head is all the young trainer can provide to Tamara given she isn't given much a chance to speak before she proceeds to go on. Of course she wouldn't really know how gyms worked, this is her first one, so thought that much was clear. 'Okay, I get it, he's stronger than me... ' Julia thinks quietly to herself around when Tamara says even his mediocre Pokemon are better than hers. However, the other girls words do ease her concerns somewhat, and she nods along. Taking a breath, she reaches into her bag to take out a Pokeball, something to work on and help calm her nerves when the loud noise startles her, makes Julia fumble with the Pokeball again, but she keeps from dropping it. "Wait, what?"

That unease from a moment ago returns in full. 'The heck was that!?' She offhandedly slips the Pokeball back into her bag as she looks toward the doors. The sight of the man... almost made her giggle for a moment at the windswept appearance, though she's more surprised he seems so young. She's been expecting someone middle-aged or older, not someone closer to her own age than not. 'Ah, um... is it too late to back out... ?' she asks herself, while chewing on her lip. As Brent approaches, she rises up to her feet, grabbing her shoulder bag and slinging it around her head. She awkwardly glances toward the pair at the exchange before turning her eyes on the man proper when she's addressed.

"Hello. Okay. Elevator. Got it," Julia responds, her nevousness keeping her answers short, simple, and to the point for the moment. "Right. Two-on-two," she parrots further, and once he's gone, she turns to Tammy, tugs on her sleeve, and gives her a nervous look. As if once more asking if it's too late to back down. Which she knows it totally is, but... ! Half-walking, half-kind of dragged along Tamara, she makes her way to the elevator, and doesn't even bother trying to press the button as she figured Tamara would hit it first. She poistions herself near the wall, half-leaning on it, waiting. 'You beat Tammy, you can beat him. You beat Tammy, you can beat him... and nothing will go wrong, nobody will be hur-... ' Her thought trails off as the doors open, and she shivers from the sudden gust of cold winds. 'THE ROOF!?'

"No!" she snaps at Tammy a bit, uneasily peering out of the elevator and onto the roof. She follows, reluctantly, out to the spot where she has to stand, and finding it so close to the edge.. she has to take a moment to take a few deep breaths. Heights didn't bother her too much, but being so close to the edge? Her one hand fidgets nervously with her pants before she blindly reaches behind her, groping at the air to try and find Tamara's hand. Not necessarily trying to be cute, more just to have someone help steady her, her legs felt weak, and she couldn't help being concerned the wind is going to send her right off the roof...

Another breath, and the sight of the gym leader's Pokemon makes Julia want to reach for her Pokedex. However, she fights that urge back, and instead reaches down to her little pouch with Pokeballs in it. She shivers at the screech, and immediately pulls Coil's ball, about to send him out when she pauses and glances to Tamara. 'No... Remember the plan. Save Coil. Two-on-two... I'd be scared for Mizu up here, I'd never be able to use her with any confidence... which means... ' Her hand goes back into her pouch and so does Coil, the next ball that comes out being that familiar one with the open circuitry motif. "Okay, Glitch. Try not to get distracted?" she asks, trying to make a lighthearted joke before she holds out the ball and in a beam of right light the Porygon appears a short distance ahead of her.

Then she looks across to the gym leader, exhales slowly, trying to steady herself. "I'm ready." Glitch wasn't the fastest, she was sure that other Pokemon would get in the first attack.

She just hoped he would be able to withstand it, and give a powerful counterattack in return. She waited, ready to call out Glitch's first attack -- Psybeam -- the moment the battle was startled. She wasn't sure if the referree was going to call the start or not, and would rather wait then not.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
From the look Brent gives her, it seems Julia could probably have just started the battle, but after a moment, he glances over to his referee and gives a nod. "COMMENCE!" comes the call, clearly intended to rule out any remaining doubt as to whether or not this battle was under way.

"Well then, let's see what you've got, Julia. Alright, close that distance right away, Autan. Get in there and soften that Porygon up with Leer!" Julia is right, the Spearow is definitely way faster than Glitch, but not so much faster that it could cross the whole distance of the battlefield before Julia and her Porygon could react. So Brent wisely doesn't even have Autan try, and instead the Spearow pulls up short and glares at Julia's pokémon. If she thought the look it had given her earlier had been menacing, it is nothing compared to the way it is staring down Glitch right at this moment. The young pokéball designer can't fault the floating guy for shrinking back a little bit, trying to seem like a less imposing target. Of course, in a one on one gym battle that is going to do little good, as there are no other targets for Autan to focus on instead. Meanwhile, Julia has to do her best not to take a step back herself, the young trainer reminding herself that there isn't exactly a lot of room behind her for her to do so.

With nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide, and no other foes to distract Brent and his Spearow, Julia really doesn't have a lot of choice. She'll have to fight back...

OoCSure, we'll say Glitch can trace right away. Unfortunately, the Spearow's ability is Mach Speed, which I don't think does you any good...

Anyway, short post because there isn't much to say for half a round, but your first gym battle is now finally completely under way. Autan starts off by drawing close to Glitch and using Leer successfully, reducing Glitch's defense one combat stage.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Round1.png
Views:	49
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	70853  

Last edited by Inem; 11-08-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: D'oh, forgot to attach the map...
Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretschmer
Julia winces. Not because she's gotten some random pain, but mostly from the look she gets from the gym leader that makes her, in all of one moment, feel both embarrassed and silly. Nervously, she glances back towards the edge of the roof again, only for the shout of 'commence!' to startle her a little and make her look back.

"Glitch use tackle... !" she calls, but her voice is lost on the wind, not nearly loud enough. Which leaves Glitch sitting there waiting for his orders when the Sparrow rushes in. Glitch keeps its eyes locked on the Sparrow so that when it glares, Glitch immediately reacts, bristling in its own way--limbs spinning around themselves, and it looking away before slowly looking back and blinking. Julia frowns deeply at this, clenching both of her fists, and taking a breath.

'Wait, should I use tackle?... ' Julia questions in the moment, thinking back to other battles. Tackle usually would up giving the other person a glance to relatiate... but... Psybeam... If she could end the battle in one decisive hit like before, then... but this was a gym leader! Surely his Pokemon would be tough enough to take it, but maybe since the Sparrow didn't have any ranged attacks if she could just have Glitch keep his distance a little longer! 'Okay.. I'm convinced.' Julia takes a breath, standing up straighter, trying to look more confident.

"GLITCH! PSYBEAM! Then move away!" she shouts loudly, overcompensating for her quietness before, not yet knowing a happy medium. Glitch jumps this time, letting out a little cry of "Porygon!" before 'leaping' into action. A rainbow-like twinkle appears in its eyes, which turns into a full-on multicoloured beam of energy that AC: 15 -- DAM: 35; 1m wide column but I imagine irrelevant here.shoots right toward Sparrow and the moment after, Glitch floats back, trying to stay Sky 3 to H15out of reach.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Julia's surprisingly loud shout shakes her Porygon awake from its shock at the look the Spearow had given it, and it responds in grand fashion to finally being allowed to use its strongest attack again. "Look out!" cBrent used 'Look Out!' trainer feature, but it doesn't change the outcome of the attackomes the call from across the other side of the battlefield, but it comes too late to change much. The multicolored rainbow beam hits the gym leader's pokémon head on, bright enough that it obscures both Julia's and Brent's view of what happens to Autan. The pokéball designer's opponent even goes as far as covering his eyes, both against the bright light and against the dust that was raised by the powerful attack. It isn't until the beam ends and the dirt has settled that the two competitors can see what is going on in the arena. Autan has landed on the ground, wings ruffled, and appearing beat up. From the look of things, the Psybeam hit the Spearow head on with no chance to dodge and it is still suffering the aftereffects.

Glitch proceeds to obediently follow the second part of its trainers orders and falls back as far as it can, right to the boundary markings of the arena.While Julia is still considering whether this will have been enough to finish of Brent's pokémon in one shot after all, the gym leader laughs, before reacting quickly. "Well, it seems you've got some bite to you after all girl, I was a little worried there for a moment. Alright Autan, show them who rules this tower, get back in the air and show them how much faster we are. Get in there with a fury attack!"

And then it happens, before Julia can do more than call out a brief warning herself, and before Glitch can react, Brent's Spearow has pushed itself off from the ground and leapt into the air with a single powerful stroke of its wings. In half the time it took the Porygon to get to the edge of the arena, the flying type's dive clears the same distance, and beak first it hurls itself at Glitch like a bullet, slamming into Julia's pokémon. And then it pushes off slightly, only to dive back down and slam into the normal type again. And a third time. And a fourth. And a fifth, before finally Glitch manages to react and reposition itself in a way that puts an end to the barrage of beak attacks.

By the time Julia can properly react, a roughed up Spearow is flapping its wings and hovering within a meter of her own pokémon that now looks close to being similarly beat up, but is also still holding itself up. Given how close the battle has moved to Julia, she can feel a rush of wind every time Autan flaps its wings, and though she is never in any real danger of being pushed backwards, she does have to work a little bit to hold her ground in her designated box. And this time it is her who might consider raising an arm to protect her eyes, as the furious wind kicks up dust and dirt all around her and Glitch.

Still, even with the uncomfortable situation she is in personally, and despite the barrage of hits her Porygon just took, if she can get Glitch to land any sort of solid hit on the Spearow it is almost guaranteed to go down at this point...which would put her in a very decent position as far as this match is concerned. At least as good as she is likely to get at the moment. If Brent's second pokémon is twice as strong as his first none of this will matter anyway. But so far the young pokéball designer seems to be holding her ground...just like Tammy had said she could.

OoCAlright, Glitch hits Autan with a Psybeam despite Brent's attempt to use his 'Look Out!' feature, knocking off almost all of the Spearow's HP, but leaving it conscious in the low single digits. Glitch retreats, Autan follows and replies with a Fury Attack, hitting a grand total of five (i.e. the max) times, one time critical (which basically means the damage ends up being the equivalent of 6 hits rather than 5). Total damage from this attack is 44, a good deal below average, so the dice gods haven't cursed you eternally it appears. Subtracting Glitch's Defense of 8 from that (I just reread the rules, you lose 12.5% of the stat rounded up, which means subtract 2 from the 10) leaves us with 36 damage and Glitch with 14 HP, which isn't actually quite as bad as I originally thought.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Round2.png
Views:	43
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	71585  

Last edited by Inem; 01-15-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretschmer
Julia flinches and glances away for a moment due to the brightness of the beam, then, slowly, turns her head back. Chewing on her lower lip, she peers on nervously... uncertain of the fluttering Butterfree in her stomach are due to this rooftop, hope that her single decisive strike plan had worked, or... or... She cringes at the thought that she might have injured the gym leader's Pokémon. A slow breath of relief escapes her after the Sparrow is revealed to be, well, as expected. Not seriously injured. Her eyes turn on the gym leader as he speaks.

His words leave Julia letting out a bit of a huff, and she gives a glance back at Tamara. 'Does everyone underestimate me or something... ?' Of course, she likely should have paid attention to everything the gym leader said, as the counter-attack happens, and there's little she can do in the moment but flick her eyes back and watch as Glitch is pelted by attack, after attack, after attack. "Glitch! G-Get out of there!" she calls, finally, prompting the Porygon to almost comically flail about until it can break the chain of attacks.

Once more Julia finds herself chewing her lip, and she's forced to turn her head some and squint her eyes to protect it from the dust being kicked up, and the wind. The idea of goggles popping into her mind, and her Eevee, but she quickly dispels the thought, knowing she needs to focus. Once more too she glances back to the edge, then digs in her heels, trying to remain still. It's perhaps that distraction that leaves her, and thus Glitch, a little slow to respond, giving the Sparrow more than AC: 4 [vs. Tackle AC3] | DMG: 23; New position H2 I think due to the Dash property of Tackle?ample opportunity to dodge when she calls: "Glitch, Tackle!"

Which sends the virtual Pokémon rearing back, and attempting to throw itself into the now nearby Sparrow, hit or miss, pushing past it a short ways, hopefully, moving the battle back at least a little. 'He needs a minute before he can Psybeam again... I hope we'll have enough time to get one more off.. But I still have Coil... '

Last edited by Captain Devonin; 01-23-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
While Julia is still wondering why everyone underestimates her, Glitch weathers the storm of attacks the Spearow sends its way. Still, by the time the Porygon has finally managed to move out of the way enough to brake up the chain of attacks, it appears to be noticeably shaken. So when Julia distractedly calls out her next attack, Glitch circles off to the side to put some distance between itself and Autan, but does so slowly. When the normal type charges back in, the attack is a little bit clumsy...just barely enough for the flying type to manage to jump out of the way with a powerful flap of its wings. Julia's pokémon still lightly clips Autan, but all the effect that seems to have is spin around the bird in the air once before it regains its sense of direction.

"Alright Autan, let's finish this: Get back in there and Peck!" Perhaps expecting another barrage of beak first dives and pushoffs, both Julia and Glitch are taken by surprise when the Spearow actually lands in front of the Porygon, cocks its head back, before bringing its beak down on the pokéball designers pokémon in one powerful blow. Glitch is a tough pokémon, and it manages to twist its body in such a way that it only catches the blow in the side, rather than right in the chest where the Spearow was aiming, but the attack is powerful, and Glitch is still somewhat frightened by that awful look the bird gave it to start off the battle. In the end that lack of composure costs the pair of pokémon and trainer, between the missed attack and not blocking counterattacks as successfully as it could. The Porygon does its best to remain standing, or more precisely hovering, but in the end that last blow was too much and it collapses down right in front of Julia where its last attack had carried it.

"The challenger's Porygon is unable to continue the battle." Calls the voice of the referee, having a little trouble carrying over the wind. "The gym leader Brent Kapersian leads one to nothing."

"Hang in there Julia, don't be discouraged now, you've still got this!", comes another voice. Tammy, yelling over the wind to ensure her friend hears her. And she does have a point, despite the rather unfortunate end of this first round, she still gets to send out a second pokémon, and with Coil, she should have the advantage. It's still going to be a big hole to climb out of, but the battle is far from over as long as she hangs in there...

OoCGlitch barely misses with its tackle, and is hit with a Peck in return for 24 damage -8 defense for a total of 16, knocking it out unless I've messed up somewhere. For the record, I'm not entirely sure where you thought Glitch ended up after tackle (because H2 doesn't make any sense I think?), with the dash keyword Glitch basically has to move away and back in to attack the Spearow. Normally in the given configuration the straightforward thing would be down one and up one again, but that would have taken Glitch out of the arena, so would be illegal. Which basically leaves circling around to the sides, such as for example going to G15, then F15, then F14, then G14. Naturally the same thing could have been done on the right rather than the left or with circling around to over the Spearow assuming Glitch's movement is sufficient. Since Glitch is knocked out and Autan's position doesn't change, however, it doesn't really matter this time around.

Anyway, feel free to send out Coil anywhere in the first four rows again, and go ahead and roll its first attack even though by speed the Magnemite will end up going after the Spearow. Given its typing and resistances, unless something really weird happens Coil is going to get at least one turn.

No map update because the Spearow hasn't moved and I don't know where you want to call out Coil.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Julia Kretschmer
"No, Gli-!" Julia calls as she sees not only Glitch miss, but she's also shaken off the initial confusion of what the Sparrow was doing. "Glitch... ?" she asks shakily to the odd way her Porygon was behaving... right before it collapsed, and she took a step forward, nearly moving right into the arena before she caught herself. However, one shaky look behind her, and she regrets not doing so at the same time. Frowning, and some of her confidence from a moment ago falling apart, she quietly returns Glitch.

"... You tried," she murmurs solemnly, glad Glitch didn't appear to be seriously hurt by the attack. Julia takes a breath. She was hoping to have at least one of the gym leader's team down by the time she had to use Coil, but it doesn't look like she has any choice. Neither Mizu, nor her Eevee -- especially not her Eevee -- would be of any use here. Upon hearing Tamara's voice, Julia glances over her shoulder at the other girl. The frown on her face shaping back into a slight smile.

'Glitch was my best, but... Coil is my trump card in this match. You just need to hang on, Coil. You can do it... ' she tells herself in her mind, more to psyche herself up than anything else. Gripping the Magnemite's ball, she tosses it out onto the field, deciding to kick into high gear right away. "Coil, come out strong! Thundershock!" she calls, this time loud enough to be heard over the wind without leaving her screaming.

The otherwise bored Magnemite appears from the red light hovering in the air crackling with electricity. It swirls around until its singular eye falls upon the Sparrow, and with a call of, "Magneeee---!" it releases a AC of 7 (base 2); 32 damagetorrent of powerful electricity straight toward the flying type.

Closed Thread