RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Solo Games > New Gamers
twitter google facebook

Old 03-31-2017, 12:43 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17257
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Support means their focus is in helping make other players better. Healers, battlefield control types, utility casters. A healing and buffing cleric is a good example of a support class. Most can "support" themselves too though, so are not really too under-powered in a solo game. Plus, any DM worth their salt can adjust to just about any mix of characters.

While we are talking about roles/archetypes, here are some others:

Tank: (meat shield) A front line class that is there to draw attacks and take damage. Typical fighter is a good tank class.

Glass Cannon: (striker or damage dealer or (damage per second)DPS) Someone who is fragile but who hits for a ton of damage. A rogue is a good example. Sorcerers often fall into this category too.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 141
Skog Skog
@zevonian - Oh, I understand. I will stick to one of the core classes for a run-through, thanks for clarifying!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 480
Temptrack Temptrack Temptrack Temptrack Temptrack
Hey everyone, I'm new here and to roleplaying in general. The only experience I have is watching some DnD 2e campaigns on the internet. After reading through the introductory posts on this forum I believe this would be the place to start. Can anyone recommend a system for me to apply for the Solo Game?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
spacelord
Have you ever played the video game Neverwinter Nights 2? If you have and you liked the system then that is basically D&D3.5. I'm new here too so I'm trying to start with something familiar.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Unfortunately I have not. I've heard mainly good things about it though. Maybe I should give it a shot in the future.
Some kind folks over at my new member introduction thread have pointed out 5e as a good place to start and as I intend to try different systems anyway, it doesn't make that much of a difference in the long run I suppose.
So I have applied to the 5e variant of the solo adventure and am reading through the 5e material until my spot opens up.
After what I've seen so far the familiarity is close enough for me to feel somewhat comfortable to start with that edition, but I think any of the other systems (at least the DnD ones) would have worked out too.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
5e is the easiest to pick up, IMHO.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33829
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Temptrack: All of the systems we offer NPSGs for are good systems. Regardless of which one is chosen, you'll learn about things such as character creation, PC-NPC parlay, handling basic dice rolls and play by post formatting.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@zevonian: Yes that was the point that the people that welcomed me to the forums made and as I said I don't think it matters that much as I'll try to learn different systems and now the journey will begin with 5e.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yamikotsu
Does anyone here play the MMORPG Dungeons and Dragons Online? I saw mention of Neverwinter Nights 2 so why not ask?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Not me, MMORPG isn't really my favourite genre. When I'm gaming it's mostly single player games or sport games, the latter sometimes online.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
bais osa
Hi, is there a standard rate of posting expected from a player in an NPSG? Or does it depend on the DM, system and other factors?
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Typically, it depends on the DM. I state my expectations in my game info thread. In general, once per day is a typical 'fast' paced game. One or two posts per week is pretty normal. I don't think there is a set standard for NPSG. If you can't post once every week or two, you may have trouble in most games on the site. Slowest game I've been in here had a post rate of about once a month. Fastest game I've had was two or three posts per day.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 AM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33829
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
No set standard for the NPSG, as no two DMs or players will have the same availability every day.
But if a player vanishes for a couple of weeks without warning, the DM has the right to close and archive the game.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 AM
tin can opener +5

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 205
neltymind neltymind neltymind
While I am waiting for the approval of my application for a D&D 5e solo game two questions came to my mind:
  • Where do the solo games take place? Seems kind of important for the background of a character. I don't mean necessarily a specific town, just some area.
  • What can I use to create my character for a solo game? Just the basic rules? PHP? Every official 5e source?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Mother of Discord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26598
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
The solo games take place in a rather generic setting, neltymind, so you can work whatever background you choose into them. The idea is less to create an award-winning game setting and more to provide you the building blocks you need.

The character creation process is part of the solo game, so I wouldn't worry too much about the details just yet. If you want to create a concept, figure out who the character is, old or young, rich or poor, that would be a good way to get started before one of the DMs can pick you up for a game. Once that happens, he or she will lead you through the rest of it.