... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10867
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Mulmaster: City of Danger

The Epic Party of Astrid Saj

Theme: urban, social, intrigue
Things to expect: backstabbing neighbors,oppressive governments, low level grittiness, chances to be heroes in a place that looks suspiciously on such behavior.
Other things you should know: This is playtest material for a forthcoming DMsGuild product. Anyone who applies will be accepted.

Mulmaster
right-aligned image

High Blade Jaseen Drakehorn, former cleric of Bane rules this city set precariously between the Moonsea and the Dragonspire Mountains. She and the other Blades rule on behalf of the wealthy nobles and the church of Bane. The people of Mulmaster do everything they can to scratch out a living in the shadow of these dark rulers. The populace has been conditioned by fear and religion to obey without question, and the rich exploit this at every opportunity. And at the gates, are the refugees: many have fled from Phlan, others have been seeking refuge since the times of the Spellplague. But there is no mercy for them here, only death. An encampment arises nonetheless, as they have nowhere else to go.

Drakehorn is on edge; between the slowly-growing presence of the factions in Mulmaster, the ever-mysterious Red Wizards of Thay, and strange goings on outside of the city, she constantly finds her attention shifting to stem anything that would threaten her power or that of her church. Hawks have been sent abroad more frequently to ascertain external threats to the city and she has ordered that the Soldiery and the City Watch be increased in size to quell any uprisings or to defend the city in the event that the city is attacked.

Tensions are high, and the High Blade cannot help but feel that her grip on the city is allowing more and more to slip between her fingers...

Welcome to the Party
left-aligned image

Astrid Saj is a very successful merchant. She is also very ambitious, and wants even more. She wants to be one of the 49 nobles. If successful in this goal, she would become one of only twelve women who currently hold such a title. And, perhaps more importantly to her, the first ever Bedine to hold so prestigious a title.

Fortunately for you, her ambitions provide opportunity. Mistress Saj is throwing a huge ten day long party, and everyone is invited. To pull off something so grand, she needs to hire lots of help. It is the first real opportunity you’ve had to do anything in this thankless town. She needs cooks, entertainers, guards, spies, and various other hired hands to make this party happen. You will be compensated with food, lodging, and even a little bit of coin. But perhaps even more interesting, you will get to rub shoulders with all sorts of important people who might have some real work for you. The high risk, high reward kind of work that Mulmaster is known for. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by goatmeal; 07-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Questions and Answers

Did this game ad used to have a different title and body? Yes. I changed it to reflect that it is now a playtesting game, not a game that is primarily focused on playing AL materials.
Did this game used to have more specific requirements about character viewpoints? Yes. Because this is playtest material, I want to leave things open to interpretations that would be consistent with that game we are playtesting. I don't include those requirements in the game, so I'm not including them in the playtest either.
Do I have to be an expert in 5e to apply? No. I’m not an expert. This is my first time DMing with this system. We can figure it out together.
Do I have to be an expert in Forgotten Realms to apply? I’m not even sure if Ed Greenwood is an expert on Forgotten Realms any more. You don’t need to know anything more about it than what is in this ad, though there is additional information in this folder for the game, and if you would like my help in immersing your character into the world, I can certainly do so in the review process. I’m also fine if you completely make something up, as I don’t know much about anything FR outside of the Moonsea setting.
What is the deadline for application? The final deadline is not fixed yet. I am currently planning to have the reviews for stage 1 completed by around 5/16, though that could potentially get pushed back a bit if there is a demand to do so. I probably won't accept anyone after around 7/16, but this could potentially get pushed back a bit.
What is the posting rate? I will be able to post once or twice a week depending on how rapidly players post, possibly a bit more frequently than that on occasion. I intend to post at least once per week, which means I might take actions for your character if you are not able to post in the allotted time. you will be forming groups and can decide this among the members of your group. My goal is to update as often as 4-5x/week.

Quote:
how many players are you going to have involved in the playtesting
I’m thinking I can have as many as 3, maybe 4 concurrent groups of playtesters, with 4-5 players in each group.

Quote:
& what's left to be playtested?
I’m not sure how to answer this question without giving too much away, but I understand why it’s important to ask. I guess I can say there are certain parts of the module which will provide an overall framework for what needs to happen without getting into the specifics, along with a recommendation to use a specific AL product that could work for the goals of that part of the module. Essential we will be skipping the parts that aren’t spelled out explicitly in the module.
So to answer without giving too much away, there will be a lot of social and skill challenges early on and some combat later on. There will be some important choices that will influence the direction of the game towards the middle. There will also be opportunities to have some “random encounters” early on if people would rather not wait on that. Once you have gotten to a certain point let me know if you would like to have a combat and I’ll make a thread for that.

Last edited by goatmeal; 07-09-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 92
UFO
I like your style goatmeal.

If I have something, I'll send it your way.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:50 AM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I like your style goatmeal.

If I have something, I'll send it your way.
Thanks for the interest.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49679
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Ok, now goat, you can't frickin' post music in the ad, then say there's no music in the game. You're killin' me, smalls.

The SJW aspect of this game is highly interesting to me. Have a character idea in the works, might be applying sometime before the first deadline, if I can.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
Not sure how much of the SJW will be in the game. The thing about these type of settings, is it's usually like Batman. There's the Joker and there's the Corrupt Police, and he always goes after the Joker. It's hard to make the game go after the status quo too much without either having a TPK or else severely nerfing the tyranny. Mulmaster is long past the point where protesting outside the High Blade's office will get you anything but a knife across the throat in the middle of the night: the Mulmaster resistance lost it's chance of things going so easily a long time ago. If the PCs in the game want to take it in that direction, I'll do my best to find a way to oblige without killing them all. But more than likely, it's probably going to be this dread in the background that they are always aware of without having to directly confront except in very small ways. It's really going to be a sandbox when it comes to that. How much the PCs want to confront the tyranny is up to the PCs. I just don't want them signing up to join it.

Music. Well, I've realized I'm not that great at coming up with the best music to go with my posts, and sometimes I spend too much time thinking about what music to use. I can maybe figure out one song for the ad itself. But the three things that burn me out the most on DMing are Music, Battlemats, and pictures. But I've already uploaded a lot of pictures to the game thread, so we'll see what happens.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose AutumnRose
Hello, posting interest! I've been in a short 5e game before, but I'll have to brush up before putting in an application. I may have just missed it, but do you have a deadline?
Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
The deadline was included in the followup Q&A Post. Flexible deadline for first review on around 5/16, with final selection at least a week out from there, though that, too, is flexible.

I suppose it would be more obvious if I hadn't spoilerbuttoned it, so I'll go back and take the spoiler out so it is easier to see.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2168
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Definitely interested. I am liking the feel of the background so far. An interesting situation, where the good guys/gals - trying to do the right thing - are actually the criminals. I have a 'Social' character on which I am working, and was lamenting that there appeared to be no Games that would be a 'good' fit for the character.

Quick question, would a Draconic origin human be able to hide their Draconic origin in Mulmaster - given things like Deception, Disguise kit, possibly Actor? The background right now, pivots on the character being of Draconic origin - e.g., manifests at puberty, exiled from her home. She is actively hiding the fact that she is a Draconic Sorcerer - due to fear of someone hunting her down, and given the Mulmaster background, the Cloaks. The Xenophobia of Mulmaster feeds nicely into the back story and another reason for her to keep her identity hidden.

If the answer is no, any suggestions on a Sorcerous origin that would work in Mulmaster?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:39 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
Interesting idea. I'll have a proper response tonight when I'm not on my phone, but short answer is we can probably make it work, with some caveats.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Always fails will saves

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3553
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
I'll get in on this at some point, def. Interested.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6386
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
I have been looking for a 5e game. I will try to get something put together soon-ish. I have a lot of pokers in the fire at the moment.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2
KAlderlead
How does one post a thread, exactly? Is it just one of these posts, like the one I made here, or something different? Regardless, posting interest for this.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:07 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAlderlead View Post
How does one post a thread, exactly? Is it just one of these posts, like the one I made here, or something different? Regardless, posting interest for this.
Post a new thread in this folder. There is a sticky there with more detailed instructions. It looks like a few people have already started applying.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerook View Post
Definitely interested. I am liking the feel of the background so far. An interesting situation, where the good guys/gals - trying to do the right thing - are actually the criminals. I have a 'Social' character on which I am working, and was lamenting that there appeared to be no Games that would be a 'good' fit for the character.

Quick question, would a Draconic origin human be able to hide their Draconic origin in Mulmaster - given things like Deception, Disguise kit, possibly Actor? The background right now, pivots on the character being of Draconic origin - e.g., manifests at puberty, exiled from her home. She is actively hiding the fact that she is a Draconic Sorcerer - due to fear of someone hunting her down, and given the Mulmaster background, the Cloaks. The Xenophobia of Mulmaster feeds nicely into the back story and another reason for her to keep her identity hidden.

If the answer is no, any suggestions on a Sorcerous origin that would work in Mulmaster?
First of all, I like the general character concept. I’ve been in a few games where PCs have pretended to be human for whatever reason, and it has always added an additional layer of intrigue to the game.

Having said that, I want to make sure you know what you are getting into before going too far down that path. Just being an unregistered sorcerer is enough to draw the ire of the Cloaks. In fact, it will certainly draw more ire than being Dragonborne would. This is not Hillsfar, where simply existing as anything other than human gets you thrown in the arena. There could be dirty looks, perhaps a greater likelihood of dealing with corrupt City Watch, but not automatically deadly. On the other hand, unregistered spellcasting is automatically deadly. It is possible to cover up spellcasting from would be witnesses with a deception check (either to distract from the casting or to make them think it was “just a wand.”) So it seems that pretending not to be a sorcerer would be a higher priority than pretending not to be a Dragonborne, both because the penalties are higher and because one is a fulltime job while the other is only when you just have to cast a spell. If you want to hide both aspects, that is certainly acceptable, and would make for a very interesting character. I just want you to realize the implications of doing so.