RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:03 AM
DnD Grognard. Look it up.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44294
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
September Post of the Month

Summer heat is slowing things down, but the competition for POTM is HOT. Nominate someone you feel did a wonderful job, and maybe they can win!

Nominate them for Post of the Month (POTM).

You can nominate others, or yourself, if you wish... we accept all, without judging.
Until the end of the month. Then, we judge, of course. And pick a winner.

Judges
Nimlos
Aethera
dirkoth
Squeak!
Neqq
Itsaverb

Previous 2017 PotM Winners
January - Morathor
February - Huhart
March -- Eleven sided die
April -- Alcyone
May -- Adorios
June -- Tilal!
July -- Khelbiros
August -- Gallupsmirror

Now, show us who did the best work in September!

Last edited by dirkoth; 09-11-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Dapper Grizzly

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2602
kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos kdtompos
Player: GeneT
Character: Whetu
Game: Gunpowder and Rum
GM: Kdtompos

Reason for Nomination: Whetu has so far always had really interesting posts. This one takes the cake, however, for the brilliant humor as well as the way he managed to roll so many ongoing story lines into it. For a brief bit of background:
  • Whetu had been turned into a rat by a mishandling of his own untested alchemical substance. In the process, a well placed bayonet chopped off his tail, at which point the character wondered what that would translate to when polymorphed back!
  • Calamity Red is the corpse of a beloved captain of the character. Whetu is also able to use the eyes of others to see through, since he himself is blind; hence the conundrum with using Calamity's.
  • The NPC's, Jessup and the boy, never existed prior to this -- but were brought in brilliantly, with imagery that so perfectly fits the feel of this campaign.
  • Finally, the captain of Whetu's new ship - Forthwin - had just commanded him to resolve this rat thing before coming aboard the Calm Horizons, as rats weren't allowed on the ship. There's your context for the final comment in the thread.

Full Post Found Here.

Last edited by kdtompos; 09-20-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 998
gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha gotha
Player: Niyaga
Character: Szador
Game: Dragon Claws
GM: Osse

Reason for Nomination: I have read many good death roll scenes before but this is one of the best I have read in terms of taste and artfulness in execution. It flows between consciousness and unconsciousness with each section being written with a compelling and vivid narrative making it a joy to read. It is neither too simple nor too wordy and comes off just right for what it is trying to accomplish.

PostSzador rounds the parapet with his shield up intent on capturing the northern wall. The archer ahead of him looses an arrow which spins inexorably in slow motion toward one of the few gaps in his armour; below helmet but above shield at the top of his mail where only leather protects. The barb enters his chest just below his left collarbone causing intense pain as it cuts muscle and innards and grinds against bone. His forward movement falters and carries him only so far before his legs give out and he falls to the side. The warrior’s red blood quickly flows out and onto the walkway, blackening the stone.

Blinking up at the stars through the slit in his helmet he idly wonders whether his life might have come to an end. He coughs and a thick glob of blood splashes the inside of his helmet and then drips onto his face. The last thing he can do is push his helmet off with one hand before he loses sight.

He drifts for a time in star-filled blackness before his sees a vision of his Mother...

His Mother coming to him… so dark and alluring… so serious but yet when that smile came… to let him know she was only ever his… the beautiful shape of her body and her womanly curves… her long straight hair falling over her pale flesh… forever young.

She smiled that smile… as if he were naked and she could see inside his mind and desires… She knew she was the only one he ever wanted… beckoning to take him to her breast… If he suckled from that nipple would he ever return to Greenest..? To finish the work of Tiamat..? But she was right… She was the only one he had ever wanted… To own her and forever bask in her beauty and ambition… Shouldn’t he go with her..?

Full Post

Last edited by ItsaVerb; 10-12-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Fixed hyperlink to original post
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22663
Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian Xian
Player: GeoAvanti
Character: Alexis Lightbringer
Game: The Forsaken Planes: The Plane of the Elder Evils
GM: Xian

Reason for Nomination: GeoAvanti possesses a reputation for his nuanced and interesting characters who made distinct and alive by the detail and care he crafts into their character as a whole both in my game and in others. With small details, such as this character's unique style of speaking, Geo brings his characters to life and grows them in the game. In this particular post, he details the emotional range and internal moral conflict of a character who just witness a slaughter initiated by one of his own companions.

For context, the game is a Gothic/Ravenloft style campaign where the players and their characters are tested by The Dark Power in morally ambiguous situations where the distinction between good and evil, right and wrong, are difficult to discern and uncertain. The recent situation was the party was in town which had been set ablaze by one of the characters through the use of unsanctioned magic. The inquisitor, a former member of the group, attempts to arrest the character to face trial for the damage and death caused by the fire that she started. However, fearful of the town's prejudice, the character invokes the Dark Powers, who sends hellish version of her "knight in shining armor" , a headless horseman and his unholy horde of the heads of his victims, to slaughter the townsfolk right in front of the PCs are they stand transfixed, unable to move or speak. This post is the response by the normally morally ambivalent Alexis as he tries to come to terms with the slaughter and that it was initiated by one of his own.

The situation is challenging to write for any player, but Geo has responded with his usual attention and subtle details that brings this character to life. This post is just another example of such excellence.

Original Post Found Here.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1148
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Player: Sirviantis
Character: Luven Barkhearer
Game: West Marches
GM: Eourl Thorson

Reason for nomination: I might be wrong here, but I thought it's a rather creative method of healing warforged. I had to browse the internet quite a bit to even find out if its possible. I'm still not sure if it is usually possible but the DM ruled it was good enough for it to work, also I got called out for it in the OOC thread and recieved RPXP for it twice. That probably isn't enough but I thought What's the worst that could happen, right?

Honestly I'm still quite sure it's not enough to win, but nobody is gonna stop me so I might as well.

Link to the post

UTC+1

Last edited by Sirviantis; 09-24-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11376
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Player:LittleBlueNA
Character: Winter, Last Daughter of Morningspire
Game: Perfect Strangers
GM: LeoByron
Reason for Nomination: The Perfect Strangers thread is a prequel thread for Guardians of the North. The characters have met and are now starting to get to know each other a bit more. This does give a chance to deepen the personality and LittleBlue has taken it a step further. In this post Winter says her final goodbyes to her long dead family while introducing them to her companions. LittleBlue's writing wraps the reader in a cocoon of loss, love and a dash of hope at the end.
Link to the post

Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4703
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Player: Hillsy7
Character: Sjkara Volund
Game: Yeohven: Fall from Grace
GM: MontageManiac

Reason for Nomination: Hillsy's posts have always been very well written and fully immersed in their character. There have been a number of times where personal information from her backstory gets peppered through as anecdotes to current situations happening within the campaign that sort of delight me as a GM.

In this particular passage, something speaks to me when she's dealing with a particularly silver-tongue lawyer, and she's reflecting on an experience from her youth that involved dealing with both her parents, and how they tried to control or mold her, but how she just escaped into this free and wild chaos of her own making. It's played very truly by the character, and makes Sjkara an incredibly deep PC to play with, as I'm not quite sure what she's going to do, but I know I'm always consistently surprised by her.

See the post here.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3226
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Player: SophieValentine
Character: Cassiopeia
Game: Mercenary Space Pilots
GM: Aeternis

Reason for Nomination: This post is one of those that I remembered long after I first read it, which is one of the things I look for most. There's some good description here, but what struck me the most was how the troublesome character was portrayed. And how her thinks of and relates to several of the other characters in the game. It's hard to say why it spoke to me the way it did, but I was impressed.

Full Post Here.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:59 PM
DnD Grognard. Look it up.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 44294
dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth dirkoth
just a note, we will be closing the nomination thread on Friday October 6th. Get them in while you can!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2611
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Player: Scimmy
Character: Khole and Mitah
Game: Guardians of the North
GM: LeoByron

Reason for Nomination: I was extremely impressed with this post. Scimmy's main character Khole, a fey creature, communicates telepathically with words, feelings, and images. When asked about his story, he found himself unable to control his communication, and his friend/bodyguard instead told the story in his place, even including a wonderful poem.

The interplay between the two characters is very compelling, and inspired my character to take an uncomfortable but important step in her own growth.

Full Post Found Here.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:04 PM
yvan eht nioj

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7848
irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777 irishking7777
Nomination inbound. Please don't close the thread just yet.

Sorry, I had to think how best to nominate this post. There's so much going on, it's like that super amazing burger you get at your favourite joint that's so stacked with amazing ingredients, you spend 5 minutes staring at it, mouth watering, trying to figure out how you're going to get your first bite in.

Player: Melchior
Character: Overlord, Emperor, & DM
Game: Purge - A Star Wars Story
GM: Melchior

Reasons for Nomination: There's really three posts that should be here, but I had to decide on one. Since ... a long, long time ago, Mel has been weaving three stories parallel through the canon of SW that we all love so much. In this moment, like your favorite scene from a Tarantino or Guy Richie film, these three story arcs find themselves interwoven. The effects from one bleeding through to all the others.

I've only been on the run playing with Mel for a bit (i'm still the new guy) but it's very obvious to all who read it the care and passion Mel writes with. It's rare that reading text on a screen elicits raw emotion from me (except for Outplay results maybe ) but Mel incites these responses as easily as you and I draw breath.

At this point, I think the easiest thing to do is just let you dig in. Here is the nominated post.

Last edited by irishking7777; 10-06-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Closed Thread