RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Arbiters of a New Age M&M 3e > Arbiters of a New Age Archived 1
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24267
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Golem reaches his hand out as if to grab something, when suddenly Sunder was in his hand, erupting from the ground and into his grasp. Orrin grabbed the warhammer's shaft with both hands and drove it down onto the concrete below him, attempting to break through to the earth's surface.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5533
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Golem and Enoch

Sunder flies into your hand, and your incredible blow shatters the the asphalt. Cracks spider off a dozen yards away from you, while the very bottom of the newly-formed Four feet across, four inches deepcrater in the asphalt reveals the slightest bit of long-covered dirt. It's enough, though in your current state you're not sure how far you will Spoiler alert: Exactly half as far as usual on a move action, and since you're dazed...get.

Chunks of asphalt scatter into the crowd nearby, and one piece breaks a police car's window, but a quick look reveals you didn't kill or maim anybody. The police skid to a stop in a rough semicircle behind the crowd, and begin urging the crowd away from you and Enoch. Not that they need much encouraging, the I should really stop.buggyman swooping low over them is dropping roaches, spiders, even a snake into the crowd, inciting panic as they madly try to escape from the two metahumans through the stopped police cars. Cops are wading through the crowd, but it'll be a good ten or twenty seconds at best before they have anything like a clear shot at Golem.

Enoch, on the other hand, is much easier prey. An opportunistic cop fires at him, ripping a hole where his head should have been. Enoch feels a rush and a twinge as the bullet passes, the shattered remains of insects spraying behind him, but the slithering masses quickly reform the hole and he flies on, knocked for a little bit of a loop but it's nowhere near lethal.

OoC:

Enoch is dazed until end of next turn, at -1 to toughness checks.
Golem is Dazed, Vulnerable, Staggered (Dazed and Hindered), and at -1 toughness.
Arbiters! Now with more cheap shots at easily disliked targets.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 PM
I NEVER, EVER OVERREACT!!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5151
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch will buzz around until he sees Orrin disappear, then make himself scarce as well. He will be travelling until he finds a relatively obscure location wherein he can stop channeling and just walk the rest of the way.

Something about this whole channeling thing bugs him.

*Unless the mount is also a class feature.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:49 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Golem disperses himself into the dirt to move to safety.

oocUsing a hero point to recover from dazed.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Enoch
You alight easily in the middle of the trees at the foot of the mountain, taking a short rest against a tree as your mind settles. Half a minute later, a news helicopter buzzes overhead, disappointed it didn't get the video of a lifetime. You're at the edge of town, but the sirens don't sound like they're getting closer, probably lost sight of you from the street. As you relax and try to figure out how to get back to human, you let down your guard for just a moment. You're 'hit' by a massive wave of information, thousands of calls, emails, texts, radios bouncing through your head in an instant. It's a city's worth of information, but you've never felt anything like it before, except maybe that time you stuck a fork in a light socket to see what would happen.

You close the link in seconds, the rush of information disappearing as you do. You can recall fragments of it, and with practice, perhaps you'll be able to sort through information gathered like this. You look stupidly at the ground, a millipede crawling across the stone in front of you. It stops and lifts the front inch of its body, waving back and forth slowly. "Afternoon, sir."

It lowers itself and continues its trek across the stone. You notice that the ring is still glowing faintly, the light pulsing slowly.

Golem
You search for unpaved regions in this sea of stone, popping up for orientation every so often, mostly in gardens or back alleys. Thankfully, you chose about the most conspicuous meeting place you could, the mountain visible from almost every corner of the city. You make it there in good time, continuing straight up the side far more easily than you moved through the city. The clean earth feels nice, nothing like the muck and trash that lay beneath the city streets.

As you luxuriate in the freshness of the ground, a thought strikes you. We just left the kid behind, didn't we?

OoC: A slightly panicked trained murder-kid is released in the streets of Lima with no food, no money, and no friends. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Tools
User Statistics
As Golem spots Enoch he looks around. "I thought you had the kid?"
Old 09-04-2017, 02:37 PM

Tools
User Statistics
gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages gravenimages
Enoch shakes his head vigorously to clear up the last of the city 's signal residue. He offers a reflexive Sup? and nod to the millipede, then laughs when he realizes what he's done.

He is about to greet Orrin, commiserate on a job well done, when the rug is pulled out from under him. Sh... He bites down on the curse word, looking around to confirm that Pablo is indeed absent. I thought he'd figure it out and follow one of us.

He sighes. You feeling all right now? Guess we're going back in. He nods toward the city.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Golem takes a quick inventory of his injuries. Taking a bomb to the face definitely takes its toll. "Umm... bug face... how do you think we're going to find him now? Or get him out of there without having an army at our backs?"he asked. "The kid is probably horrified at what he just saw. You literally turned into something from a Stephen King novel and I ... well I took a bomb to the kisser. Not exactly inspiring for a would be assassin."he explained.

"If he is anything like that Wraith kid he is probably on the run intending to fend for himself. He might actually be better off that way too. We're putting a giant bullseye on him if we go back there aren't we?"
Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch considers this unpalatable truth for several moments, eventually his shoulders slump in acceptance. He nods weakly. Well, I guess our directive was to find him and save his life. Check, and check. He knows about other survivors so it's up to him what he does with that information. We gave him a good line on escaping his enemies. I'd say we only missed one thing.

The young man pulls out the balance of cash given to him by Wraith. So... For bribes, and the remainder to Pablo. Hold out your hands. Assuming curiosity compels the man to comply, Enoch puts half of the stack in each. So, I'm giving you eleven thousand dollars to keep the secret that we didn't get the money to Pablo... Through no fault of our own of course.

He takes one of the stacks back. And, I demand half to keep the secret that you knowingly took a bribe. There. Enoch tucks the money away. It all got used up on bribes. He shakes his head ruefully. I should have been a bad guy. Or worse, a lawyer.

He looks back over the city. You good? Ready to ride Griffin airways again?

ooc: did Steve make the ride with me?

Last edited by gravenimages; 09-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Orrin stares at the wad of cash in his hand. He was a farmer and had never quite seen this much money in one place before, taking it could in one fell swoop save his struggling farm and give his mom and grandfather some security while he was off saving the world. On the other hand there was Pedro, or Pablo or whomever he was out there on his own.

There was an awkward silence as the golem stared at the money trying to sort out what was the right thing to do. To Orrin it was all about doing the most good. Keeping the farm operational could help a lot of people who needed food. They could even donate a portion of their crops to a shelter if the farm was paid off, but on the other hand what was the cost? A young kid without a penny to his name, a trained assassin without the resources he needed.

Well maybe that wasn't so bad? Maybe he wouldn't kill as many people if he didn't have the cash to back him. Or maybe he would kill more? One question floated to the top of Orrin's mind. "Do you know where Wraith go this money? He didn't kill for it did he? I don't want that kind of blood on my hands if that kid does the same thing."he pondered out loud. "Of course I could help a lot of people with this money, but I need to know the cost isn't too high Enoch. I'm one of the good guys, not a lawyer or someone with a convenient conscience. I can't just do what is easy so I need to know more about Wraith, if you know it. Does that kid kill for money? Will Pablo?"
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch sighs expansively, producing the cash and handing it back over to Orrin. Probably better if you hold it. He explains, then looks at himself for the first time. Wonder how to turn this off. He mutters.

Don't think any less of me for that. You know, when Mom got cancer suddenly everything seemed to just matter a little less. Did some things I wasn't proud of for the government in the name of saving her. Cured her in fact, but...

He shakes his head. Bigger scale now but the same thing. Still working for the government, and not totally in agreement agendawise. So, you do what you can. He falls silent for a moment. I told Wraith going in that this could happen, that we could be putting a killer kid in the wind to fend for himself... And the results were on him. But...

When I have to make a decision on something like this, I have to lay it all out there plain and see if I can stomach it. You asked good questions, the right questions... I don't know anymore about all this than you. If nothing else Pablo counts as Wraith's family, and if someone half -a**ed it with my family like this I might take exception.

Turning towards the city, he opens up his communication sense, bracing himself for the onslaught. Hopefully I can narrow down the search a little.

Last edited by gravenimages; 09-05-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch
The information floods over you once more, but your preparation allows you to sort through it more easily. Reports of an explosion, a fire, a bomb are still flying through the city, but there's no mention of a lost child. Naturally, Pablo won't want to pick a fight with the cops. He's probably going to try to find either you, or the Swedes following him.

There's another tone, underneath all the rest of the buzz. You can't tell what it's saying, but somebody is very excited about something, and this signal is much stronger than the majority, indicating long-range use.

Golem
You haven't spent much time with Wraith, but from what you've seen, you wouldn't put it past him to kill for money. Especially enough money to be handing out 20k to strangers.

Wait, did Enoch just say he cured cancer?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Golem seemed content that going after the kid was the right thing to do, even if it was hard. Grabbing the cash and stashing it in his hoodie he got ready to move on once Enoch...

Wait. Golem thought.

It had breezed off the man's tongue like a simple fact, as if it meant nothing. Like he did this crap every day. As if the one disease that managed to plague humanity was not worth even thinking about due to its insignificance. Shouldn't there be some cure out there on the market? A vaccine or a pil or at least a treatment that is only one breath better than dying? "Dude? I don't get it. I've spent enough time to know your not a dick. Wraith I'm not so sure about, even frosty, but you are definitely not a guy who just lets people die. What the hell is the deal?" Orrin realized how worked up he suddenly was and took a deep breath.

"I'm not judging.... well okay that's a lie, I'm totally judging you, but I am sure there is a reasonable explanation of why you haven't CURED THE WORLD OF CANCER!!"

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Enoch blows out a sigh that spoke more of frustration than anything else. Okay, so... He considers for several moments, How to explain this to him... All right. So. I didn't set out to rid the world of cancer, I set out to cure Mom's cancer. Since cancer is basically just your own body's cells, but mutated and misbehaving... Genetics, DNA, that kind of thing plays a role. Or can potentially play a role.

Another few moments in the tank to think. Kind of like when they change corn or whatever... Longevity, resistance to bugs, nutritional content, I don't know what all they do. But they start at the top to make a whole new corn... and I was just trying to get it to grow in my own field. So my solution isn't really... Portable. It has to be reworked from the ground up for each new patient. And because I wasn't really in it for the long haul at the time... Alot of the methods and means that I used were medically questionable... Non-FDA approved... Guess and check. In short, I got pretty lucky. But it wouldn't survive a peer review or anything.

He continues looking over the city. Of course, once I was successful the government tracked me down and charged me with prettymuch everything they have a name for in the field... Not sure if it was legit or just a scare tactic to get me to work for them. If it was, it worked. I think we confirmed curing three other cases in eight years, with time for revision between each. I have my suspicions about who they were, although the files didn't have names. Folks who were wealthy and politically connected. He frowns at the thought. I have most of the materials and knowledge with me... Took them when I left. Just not the resources to continue working. Maybe I'll ask Plague to hook me up with a lab when I get back. Cause he'll totally want cancer cured and all.

Shaking his head, Enoch reorients to the present. Only thing Pablo had to go on is that I told you to meet where we landed. If I just had that to go on I'd guess airport, its in the north part of the city. Being alone I don't think he'd want to go headsup with the Swedes right away, so that seems like a safe bet.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Entirely Ridiculous

Tools
User Statistics
Golem
You believe him. You aren't quite sure what a peer-review means, but the rest was in fairly layman terms and seemed to come naturally.

Remembering your time with Wraith, he didn't seem like the most stable person in the world, and even he said this kid was bred to be a killer, right?

Last edited by WhovianBeast; 09-05-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Closed Thread