Game Thread The First Step along the Paths - Page 48 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Thousand Hidden Paths
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #706  
Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 PM
Stonk's Avatar
Stonk Stonk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2020
RPXP: 4014
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Posts: 5,759
Jaster
right-aligned image
Jaster smiles as he exposes these items of power he gathers them up and turns to Drevan, "Drevan, we should get these to Nessima she can identify what these are." He waits to see if Drevan needs his help heading out to find the others. "Maybe we should take a look upstairs and in the tower before we try and bed down for the night. Just to make sure it is safe?" he asks as he walks out to find the others.


Rolls and Action
 

Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 05-30-2018, 01:43 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 23523
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 14,125
left-aligned image
 

Jin makes helps the others look around, lift things, be there in the event something is trapped and someone needs drug away, and generally just makes herself useful. It would take a great deal of effort to destroy this crypt completely, but when nobody has any objections, she gathers up the varrious jars and vile vials and takes them to the pit. There she enjoys chucking them hard against the side, and watching them shatter and fall to the bottom. She drags the corpses to the pit and tosses them in as well. If the living couldn't climb out of there, her hope is the undead can't either.

When talk of rest begins, Jaster speaks her mind about continuing to explore the upper area of this unholy place. The well was an unlikely entrance to be sure, there were probably more dangers above.

"I agree. I'm sure they didn't intend for us to come by way of the well. We need to be rid of any dangers we can find before I'll want to rest anywhere near here. Should we tend to our wounds first?"

 
__________________
(((ē)))


Last edited by Still_Pond; 05-30-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 10595
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 4,986
Nessima
right-aligned image
"I don't mind leaving this mausoleum, and I agree that we should secure the tower. If we make a camp on the grounds, though, someone should be sure to stay with Berek. He looks like the walking dead, himself, and since magic hasn't helped that, he needs rest."

Her piece said, Nessima turns to identifying the items Jaster and Drevan have found.

OOC
 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 05-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Elwen's Avatar
Elwen Elwen is offline
Great Wyrm
Hall of Fame DM 2011
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 12157
Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen Elwen
Posts: 10,196
Yu Yan
left-aligned image

The grisly details of where the coins had come from turned Yu Yan's stomach and soured her enthusiasm for the treasure. Harvesting people like crops... She shook her head. The mausoleum felt stifling, buried under the weight of stone, dust, and human suffering. "I'll stick with Berek," she volunteered, eager for something to do that would get her out of doors. The rider from the plains had proven courageous in the face of terrifying magic. Even exhausted as he was, she was sure she could lean on his resolve.



 

Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Arthilian01's Avatar
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 is offline
Chaotic Good Red Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-05-2020
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Posts: 10,369
Berek Steadyhand:
right-aligned image
Berek nods to Yu Yan, actually thankful to have her by his side, or at least, willing to be by his side. The spoiled potential potentate had proven to be far more in their journey and he was gratefully surprised. He leveraged himself up from the ground and set a hand upon her shoulder as they moved to exit the crypt, he was confident that the others could handle anything they had found. He would make himself useful by finding a good place to set up camp far away from this 'tomb'. A camp sinking in the mud somewhere in the swamp would be a far more comfortable place than down here. Once outside, he
Dice Perception:
2d20+3KL1 (15, 6 (keeping 6) )+3 Total = 9
searched for Hadhod and the other horses. Bereft of a direct line of sight to the horses, Berek would slowly lower himself to the ground and
Dice Investigation:
2d20-1KL1 (14, 2 (keeping 2) )-1 Total = 1
-or-
Dice Survival:
2d20+3 (14, 8)+3 Total = 25
look for tracks, hoof prints.

OOC:
-Disadvantage on Ability Checks, Speed Halved, Disadvantage on Attack rolls and saving throwsExhaustion level 3
-Disadvantage = 11Survival Roll

 

__________________
-Oath of Sangus ||

Last edited by Arthilian01; 05-30-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:20 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2020
RPXP: 4558
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,839
Nessima
The items that Jaster recovered from Kayin prove to be valuable finds indeed when Nessima scrutinizes their magical workings. The mantle is woven with quicksilver threads that divert and dampen hostile magic. The red lozenge at the heart of the amulet is difficult to identify, but it's the frozen blood of something inhumanly tough and hardy, and it confers some of that resiliency on the wearer. The ring, perhaps the finest find of all, hums with latent magical energy, particularly the three stones glowing with inner light.

 



Scouring the Abbey
Before making camp for the night, you scour the rest of the abbey, venturing down corridors and into chambers that you hadn't had time to investigate before. No further sorcerous dangers or undead horrors lie in wait... but the investigation nevertheless proves unsettling.

The stairs leading upward from the ruined scriptorium lead into the chapel's ground floor. You hadn't seen the inside of the chapel yet, but it proves to be precisely as morbid and obscene as you've come to expect of Naraka's degenerate cult. As in the catacombs downstairs, the original carvings in the chapel interior, of whatever divinity this abbey once honored, have been scoured away, and now the chapel is dominated by a grotesque idol of bone and twisted wood, with Naraka's name in those same twisted runes splashed across its surface. Unlit braziers and sacrificial urns stand before it, mute testimony to the blasphemous offerings the coven offered their goddess.

The tower, accessed by a stairway leading up from the rear of the chapel, contains little of note - it's not much more than a spiraling staircase leading up to the tower roof, although the last story of the staircase is blocked by a partial collapse of the roof - hence the shoddily-constructed scaffold that's been constructed on the tower's exterior.

The other buildings arrayed around the abbey grounds are mostly collapsed and ruined, and don't seem to have been inhabited for a very long time. You identify what's left of several dormitory buildings, a library, and a refectory. Each of those buildings has a staircase leading downward somewhere within its wreckage, however, and all of these cellars and sub-basements have been linked together by crude tunnels, all of which meet in the waterlogged chamber beneath the well.

Beneath the refectory, you discover cellars stuffed with mushrooms, swamp grass seeds and fermented moss, jars of preserved spiders, and other foul things which seem to have constituted the coven's larder... these, and a few hunks of salted meat whose provenance you don't like to think on. There's nothing down there that you're in any particular hurry to take, or even to look at longer than you have to.

Beneath the dormitories, you find a sub-level of what might once have been storerooms or meditation chambers, but have been converted into the quarters of the coven members themselves. They lived in discomfort and squalor, sleeping on beds that were little more than sacks stuffed with dried swamp grass, and with little in the way of possessions that they didn't carry on them or store elsewhere in the abbey.

In the process of hauling the dead cultists down to the pit that once held their captives, you gather the possessions that they did carry on them... mostly scavenged trinkets of little value, but you do find a bit of coin on them, hoarded from the others. Of more value, you find the spell books of several of the coven's wizards, kept in leather satchels secreted beneath their robes... certain to be of interest to Jaster, and perhaps to other wizards on the black market of the Thousand Hidden Paths.

 



Around the Campfire
left-aligned image

With night fast approaching, you withdraw from the eerie and corpse-strewn ruins of the abbey, and take the horses back a safe distance to make camp on a dry patch of ground up in the nearby hills. There, you can count the coin and trinkets you've discovered, study the magical items and spellbooks you've claimed from the fallen cultists in more detail, and discuss what is to be done next. Your packs are growing lighter, and your stores of food won't last forever... but you can make them last another few nights, and nobody's in any hurry to eat what's left in the coven's unwholesome larder. Jaster's sheltering ritual should keep you safe from any unknown threats, or any remnants of the coven that might still be lurking about.

Your work in the ruined abbey isn't completely finished yet - notably, you've yet to dispel the warding glyph that guarded that book in the laboratory, or to attempt to read its contents - but sometime tomorrow, you should be ready to depart. Lord Arkad is waiting in Kal Vakhor to hear what you've discovered lurking in the forest, with a generous sum of gold for each of you to reward your success... although for some of you, that gold might be the very least of the rewards he can offer. There is the question, though, of what you will tell him... and what you even know for sure, even now... about this threat. The Coven of Naraka has clearly been lurking in this forest for years... why make such a bold attack now, and why target the young noblewomen on their way to Kal Vakhor? How did Kayin - clearly a wizard of the Arcane Ministry by his accent and his garb - come to ally himself with the coven? How did he come into possession of the Iron Torc... or, perhaps, the other way around? Was all of this the work of an insane death cult, or was it a conspiracy against Lord Arkad by the Celestial Throne... or both?

No otherworldly dreams haunt your sleep this night, but that doesn't mean that you rest easy. Whether you dream of faces from the past, distant hearth and kin, ambitions for the future... or darker and more disturbing dreams... everyone dreams tonight.

The Spellbooks
Jaster finds the following spells in the grimoires collected from the dead cultists (less those spells he already possesses):


1st: cause fear, false life, identify, protection from evil/good, ice knife, ray of sickness
2nd: arcane lock, blindness, flaming sphere, misty step, ray of enfeeblement, web
3rd: animate dead, clairvoyance, glyph of warding, lightning bolt, stinking cloud

__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
15/15

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 05-30-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 16937
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 7,578
Drevan
left-aligned image
Drevan watched as Nessima identified the various magical items that Jaster found on Kayin's dismembered corpse. When she explained to him the abilities inherent in the cloak, a strange resistance to magic, he found himself reaching forward and taking it from her. He felt drawn to the cloak and when he slipped it about his shoulders he began to feel just a little bit warmer. The fact that the cloak had belonged to their hated enemy made him want it just that much more.

Having taken the cloak, Drevan retreated back to his own thoughts as the group left the haunted grounds. What will I tell Xin? That we fought the embodiment of a lost goddess? That we won? Drevan stared into the flames of their campfire. "We have won nothing," he said. "That was just one aspect of Naraka. She will be back." He ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "We are still no closer to understanding the reason's for any of this! Why attack when they did...who they did? Why identify themselves? It's almost like they were trying to draw someone or something out themselves?

Drevan returned to staring into the flickering flames. "I have to report back to Xin. We have faced horrors unimaginable these last days. I am beginning to believe that we may have made an enemy that surpasses the heavenly cult or the celestial throne. Either way I plan on seeing this to the end," he looked towards Jin. "I'm not sure that I have a choice in the matter anymore."

OOC

Actions & Rolls
 

Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 05-30-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 PM
Arthilian01's Avatar
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 is offline
Chaotic Good Red Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-05-2020
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Posts: 10,369
Berek Steadyhand:
right-aligned image
Surprisingly, The simple horse warrior, triggered by the words of Drevan, had a profound thought, "Perhaps they attack now only because this is the first chance they have gotten to summon the witch. They may have lacked the following before now." Berek had rolled out his bedroll shortly after deciding on a campsite, he now sat in it, seeming like a weathered old man as he spoke to his companions, he was close to dozing as he sat up in his blankets, propped up on a stump. He did not make any claims to the magical items, He had acquired a sword, what had he a need for something else. His thoughts turned toward the morrow, "We take our findings to Lord Arkad and let him deal with the details, What need do we have for such thoughts of the bigger scheme?" He cleared his throat, He was beginning to feel talkative, more talkative than usual, perhaps his close brush with death and his extreme exhaustion had loosened his tongue, "We have had a victory today, Even over one kind of the ghost-witch, We have defeated what fear we had when we set out or closed on the cult. The immediate danger is over, I set out for my homelands once I have gained my proper reward. My wife, Gwen and my daughter, Freya await me. Both with long red hair like fire and tempers to match. Freya would be nearing her thirteenth summer." the Horse warrior lets out a contented sigh as he began to doze, his emotional side, or more of his emotional side having shone out, he was certainly spent.

OOC:
-Disadvantage on Ability Checks, Speed Halved, Disadvantage on Attack rolls and saving throwsExhaustion level 3

 

__________________
-Oath of Sangus ||

Last edited by Arthilian01; 06-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 PM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 10595
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 4,986
Nessima
right-aligned image
Nessima was surprised when Drevan simply grabbed one of the magical artifacts out of her hands, though she tried hard to keep her face impassive. "That one is a brave fighter - too brave. He seems sorely troubled, and not entirely honest." She shook her head slightly. Of the two remaining items, she felt that Jin should have the amulet. She and Jaster should discuss the ring when there was a moment - it would dramatically increase anyone's magical power.

Berek was speaking much more than usual, and his insight about the nature of the cult was surprising. He didn't seem too interested in the bigger picture, though. "The bigger picture is often the picture, I find. I wonder what an Imperial mage was doing out here in the hinterlands, stirring up trouble. Political intrigue aside, this cult was a true abomination. If there are similar cults elsewhere in the Empire..." she allowed her words to trail off as she thought.

Was Kayin merely an opportunist who ended up in over his head? Could this have been a systematic strike against Arkad? Part of a widespread...something? Layers within layers. For now, all she wanted to do was get a good night's sleep and burn this place to ashes in the morning.

OOC
 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 AM
Stonk's Avatar
Stonk Stonk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2020
RPXP: 4014
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Posts: 5,759
Jaster
right-aligned image
Despite the tragedy Jaster was very excited to look over all of the spells that had been discovered, he knew it would take a great deal of time, and research to copy them all down. The companions were dividing up the loot and he was not surprised when Drevan took an item of spell resistance, if he ever turned his ire on him he would be a challenging opponent and was glad they were on the same side. He would discuss the ring with Nessima later as he was preoccupied with these spell books and another book to attempt to get in the morning when he could cast another dispel magic.

"When we are ready, we should make haste back to Kal Vakhor,
I will alert Arkad when that we are returning when we leave."
He also adds, "We are in for all the intrigue we can handle when we get back and honestly I prefer this type of battlefield."

Jaster then spends some time outside preparing his magical hut then stayed inside reading and scribing a couple of new spells.


Rolls and Action
 

Stat Block
 

Last edited by Stonk; 05-31-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 AM
Still_Pond's Avatar
Still_Pond Still_Pond is offline
Insert User Title Here.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 23523
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Posts: 14,125
left-aligned image
 

Jin wasn't much for jewelry. The only piece she wore was a small jade pendant, the only tangible thing her father left her. The amulet of health seemed appropriate for a healer so when Nessima echoed this thought, Jin puts it on. It rests next her her other one. Jin wondered what kind of blood was used to make the amulet. She liked to think it was from some noble creature, a dragon maybe, that gave it willingly. Until someone informed her otherwise, to her it was the blood of a dragon.

They make camp and discuss what to do next. Jin listens mostly, and helps tend to the camp needs. She fetches wood, re-fills water, changes bandages, and gives Nessima a back rub while the conversation unfolds. When Jaster speaks of court intrigue, she nods her agreement. She too preferred a foe she could fight with fists.

"I always thought the Empire wiped the world clean of such cults and dark religions.
That maybe such places persisted along the thousand paths, but nothing so deeply rooted as this place or these people. "


Using her elbow, she leans into a particularly unrelenting knot in Nessima's shoulder.

"Maybe Kayin, in his lust for power, sought out Naraka and her cult. I think he tried to use them attack Lord Arkad but underestimated Naraka's influence, or they his. This cult has people in Arkad's court. This mysterious "V." person. And then there's Graad. Maybe they recruited Kayin, offering him the power of the torc, like bait to a fish. He was begging for death, there at the end. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost."

Working now on the half-elf's lower back she questions their need to return at all, but doesn't voice her thought. It wasn't unwise to consult, in person, with Lord Arkad before taking further action. She'd like to be in the room when Lord Arkad confronts Graad though. It saddened her that the bandit had been working for the cultist. He had seemed so reasonable when they warned him not to attack the carriages. Jin knew not all bandits were equal, some of them had more honor than others, and she had thought that of Graad.

Jaster casts his magical dome and works late. Jin stays up with him, sharing the first watch. She leaves the mage to his studies, choosing to sit in contemplative silence. She
Dice perception and disadvantage for darkness:
2d20+6kl1 (7, 18 (keeping 7) )+6 Total = 13
watches and listens to the dark forest, and allows her mind to explore the tangle of thoughts that have been plaguing her for days.
__________________
(((ē)))

Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 PM
MemoryBeast's Avatar
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast is offline
Wreathed in Flame
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-16-2020
RPXP: 4558
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
Posts: 2,839
The night passes without incident, and the following morning, you trek back down into the catacombs to recover the mysterious book on its warded pedestal. With time to prepare his magic, it's a simple matter for Jaster to dispel the warding glyph, search the pedestal and its environs for any other lingering magic, and finally, to cast his translating ritual once more and decipher the tome's strange runic text.

Kayin's Tome
left-aligned image
Back up in the sunlight and the marginally less oppressive atmosphere of your hillside camp beyond the abbey walls, Jaster is able to read the tome at his leisure, translating for the rest of the party.

Despite the obscure runic alphabet in which it's written, the tome doesn't appear to be ancient at all - the pages are in good repair, the ink legible and unsmudged, with no sign of any preservative magic that would have kept it in such pristine condition since the days before the Celestial Throne. And, indeed, it turns out that the tome's author is none other than Kayin himself - Jadugar lor Kayin, to give him his full name. Both Jaster and Yu Yan are family with the name of Jadugar: a noble house of the central provinces, of ancient fortune and somewhat sinister repute. It's not entirely surprising that one of their scions would be in the upper ranks of the Arcane Ministry... or that he would be involved in such corrupt and sinister activities.

The tome proves to be one part research log, one part spell book, one part personal journal, and one part mad, raving manifesto, penned in Kayin's own hand using an obscure runic script that he's deciphered in the course of his studies. As an initiate to the Arcane Ministry, Kayin's family connections and accomplishments on the Ministry examinations earned him access to the troves of forbidden lore that the Celestial Throne has deemed too dangerous for general study. He dove eagerly into the study of proscribed necromancy, and makes little pretense (at least in the privacy of his journal) that his study was motivated by anything other than a lust for power and advantage, although he claimed to his superiors that he only studied these black arts in order to battle against them as a Ministry inquisitor.

Somewhere in these dark researches, Kayin learned of the Iron Torc, a powerful relic with unique necromantic powers, seized long ago by the nascent Ministry and locked away in its deepest vaults. It's not clear why the Ministry kept the Torc - Kayin alludes to the possibility that it simply couldn't be destroyed by any magic available, or that it was feared that destroying it would unleash some great evil. For his part, Kayin suspects that it was kept for its potential as a weapon. In the right hands, he discovered, the Iron Torc granted not only the power to animate and command the dead, but also to possess an undead shell, even at great range, and to use it as a proxy for the necromancer's own presence and magical workings. Doing so required that the undead shell be specially prepared with a foul ritual that magically forged a drop of the Iron Torc's own substance into an iron helm, worn by the undead and acting as a beacon for the necromancer's control.

The ritual he describes is slow, demanding, and gruesome... but it can also be repeated indefinitely by a necromancer with the time and means to do so, and in the journal Kayin marvels at the possibilities for a powerful wizard such as himself. An entire legion of such undead, each one a vessel from which he could unleash his full necromantic might without the slightest fear of reprisal from his enemies, and unstoppable so long as a single one of his helmeted minions survived... with such a weapon at his disposal, Kayin muses, there would be little that could check his ambitions or keep his enemies safe from his wrath.

From here, the journal grows progressively more fragmented and sketchy, and devolves more and more frequently into deranged and incoherent asides... which may or may not even be Kayin's own thoughts. He describes taking the Iron Torc from the Ministry's vaults clearly enough, although he's a little vague about whether he actually secured permission to access those vaults, or whether he stole inside... but he definitely didn't have permission to take it. It's likewise unclear whether he fled to Kalakam province to avoid the Ministry's pursuit, or to seek out the Coven of Naraka... or how, exactly, he even knew the coven was there in the first place. He makes no mention of how he learned about the coven; from one entry to the next, he seems to have simply acquired the knowledge, and feels no need to set down how.

It becomes more difficult to follow Kayin's narrative once he reaches the coven's lair. He gives descriptions of the coven's membership, abode, and practices (most of which are familiar to you by now), and describes the bargain he struck with Naraka's worshipers: their service to him as the bearer of the Iron Torc, in exchange for their aid in overthrowing Lord Arkad and seizing control of Kalakam Province. In these more lucid passages, Kayin gloats at the coven's gullibility and credulousness, believing that he shares their worship of a long-forgotten goddess and that he means to share power with them once Kalakam province is his. He describes his schemes in some detail - to kidnap the would-be brides of Lord Arkad's son, to use the corpses of murdered Horse Clan warriors to do it - all in order to sow division and weaken Lord Arkad's position in Kalakam Province, setting the stage for an eventual coup using the Coven of Naraka and its spies as catspaws.

It's odd, though... even as he mocks Naraka's coven and even the very idea of her existence in some passages, he writes in others as though she is very real. He recounts the legends of the Lady of the Black Mire, who promised an eternity without death to her faithful servants, and tells in oblique references of the Prince Upon His Throne... although even in this dark and fanatical mood, he seems to shudder back from describing that entity too closely. He describes a voice in his dreams, glowing eyes beneath the water, a woman slumbering in a crypt and thirsting for blood enough to revive her from her long sleep... and then on the next page, he's back to mocking the cultists for believing in such things. It's as if two different people were writing in the journal, with the one never bothering to read what the other had written... or prevented somehow from reading it... but the journal is unmistakably written in a single hand.

It's not until the very end, when that hand begins to grow shaky and illegible, that the haughty, ambitious Kayin seems to grow aware of the "other" Kayin writing in his journal. That awareness comes over the course of three entries: an entry from the "first" Kayin describing the defeat of his undead riders at the hands of a band of Lord Arkad's mercenaries, and the changes this will force upon his plans... and then the "other" Kayin, writing of the need to abandon all else and complete the sacrificial rites, now that Kayin has failed... he actually refers to himself in the third person at this point... and then a final entry, a single line scrawled across an entire page:

She will not let me go.



Spellbook:
In addition to detailed notes on the various rites involved in the Iron Torc's usage and in Naraka's attempted resurrection, Kayin's tome contains the magical notations for a number of wizard spells. Of the spells that are within Jaster's skill to understand, he finds none that are not already known to him or else contained in the spellbooks he already liberated from the dead cultists. There are, however, a number of more powerful inscriptions that he cannot, at present, decipher.
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
15/15

Last edited by MemoryBeast; 06-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Begon Ugo's Avatar
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo is offline
Feeding my addiction...
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 16937
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Posts: 7,578
Drevan
left-aligned image
Drevan listened intently as Jaster relayed all that he had found in the late Kayin’s journal. “The man had gone mad...that much is obvious.” Drevan said, looking a bit nonplussed as he walked about the campsite, his head hanging low deep in thought. “What started as a harebrained grab for power evolved into the resurrection of a goddess of death. But it happened over time…”

Drevan felt as if dark horrid tendrils had erupted from the ground to drag him below as a sudden realization hit him. His eyes wild he looked towards the beautiful, steady Jin. “You heard Jaster,” he said nervously as he walked closer to the monk, to stare into her eyes, “It...happened...over...time. Like a wound that festers and spreads...and gets worse.” Drevan dropped his eyes to the ground, “Is this what you saw when you looked at me Jin? Is that my fate?”

Drevan backed away from Jin and raised his hands as if he just thought of something important. “The Torque...where is the Torque. We can’t leave it behind...it might be important...maybe I...I mean...if.” Drevan took a deep breath to control what seemed like mounting hysteria, “I think I might need the Torque.”


OOC

Actions & Rolls
 

Stat Block
 

Character Sheet
 
__________________
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
I have taken The Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Arthilian01's Avatar
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 is offline
Chaotic Good Red Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-05-2020
RPXP: 6274
Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01 Arthilian01
Posts: 10,369
Berek Steadyhand:
right-aligned image
Berek had managed to bring back all his ability with the aid of sleep, feeling well-rested and relieved of the burden that had rode him in days prior.His muscles no longer burned when he rose from his bedroll and aided in the remainder of looting within the crypt. Although he felt his skin crawl whilst standing in the abbey, he managed to shake it off by the time they reached their camp.

He sat and half-listened to what Jaster retold from the book of Kayin, The details and descent of what had happened only partially interested him, being a bigger-picture sort of thinker made life easy on the plains. He cared not for the details and implications of the Torc and the Arcane Ministry, he had never concerned himself with magic nor it's management and he wasn't about to begin now.

What interested him more and put him on guard was Drevan's proclamations, he obviously wanted the Torc and for some reason, Berek somehow had the feeling that giving it to his companion would not be in anyone's best interest. The large Horse Warrior stood and spoke, hard and firm, "Calm yourself, Drevan, I have it." Even if Drevan were to approach him, Berek would not give ground, he would stand firm and attempt to prevent any action the monk makes to take the Torc from him. The unrefined homesteader feels as someone who is not trained in magic that he would be immune to any seeking of power brought on by this Torc, If need be, he would be the new vault that locked it away.

OOC:
 

__________________
-Oath of Sangus ||

Last edited by Arthilian01; 06-01-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Stonk's Avatar
Stonk Stonk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-29-2020
RPXP: 4014
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Posts: 5,759
Jaster
right-aligned image
After dispelling the foul glyph and reading the horrifying text he looks up to his companions. Drevan is worried about something that happened to him, like he was cursed and he feared this same fate would happen to him, "Careful Drevan, the torc will not be the solution to whatever your problem is. That item is responsible for what happened to Kayin. Powerful artifacts always come at a severe cost and deserve to be locked up, as we saw." he takes another moment then adds, "Looks like Kayin acted outside of the Ministry and the conspiracy continues."

Jaster stands up, "I will alert Arkad to our departure, I won't add too many details, those need to be delivered in person." He forms a cup in his hands and begins to cast the sending spell, "Naraka cult dealt with, Kayin dead, heading back to you, many things to discuss in person. Should be a few days." Once the message was said an animal formed out of magic left his cupped hands and headed towards Kal Vakhor.

Jaster closed Kayin's book and then put it in his backpack, it would require much more time to peruse than he had here, and gold. He patted his pouch knowing it would soon disappear. He moved to Nessima, "Do you want this ring? If not I will use it but I already have a spell recovery device." he opens his hand and the ring of spell storing is in it.


Rolls and Action
 

Stat Block
 

Last edited by Stonk; 06-01-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB