RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Siege of Ašnor's Reach > Chapter One: The Last Haven
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:10 AM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,912
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


ension was building in Calleigh once more; Solgar's questions about Neything had been a welcome distraction from the matter at hand, but the night was fast approaching and the house before them loomed large above them. No easy way out was apparent in the treeline or the roof of the building either; if they'd used climbing potions to ascend, there was no sign of it. They would have to brave the smuggler's safehouse. Hopefully our efforts are worth it. She tried to imagine, for a moment, returning to Odean Finnsinger with neither Wincoy nor Villary and her mind skittered away at the thought. Though she could rest content nothing that Neythin was safe, she had to make Wincoy's capture mean something. The young halfling's sacrifice weighed her heavily enough as it was.

Calleigh watched Dibo pull back from the hole and return to them before moving south to join Bothvar. She followed, trying to shore up her resolve. They had to enter, and there was no telling what awaited them inside, but they would face it together. "I'm with you, friends," Calleigh said as she joined Dibo and Bothvar, keeping her voice low. "Whatever awaits us inside, we shall overcome it. We must."

 
 
  #32  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
ibo's words about climbing down wash over Solgar. The monk tries to imagine a house so innocent on the outside, and so diabolical on the inside as to have secret hatches or pit traps the like that would require magic to scale.

Then again, Bothvar's warning about the place was nothing to take lightly. "There could be anything in there," he offers, adding "even yourself." It was something the monks of his order used to tell him when he grew tired of meditation. Hours spent quietly directing attention inward. Why? As a boy he'd ask them over and over: what am I looking for? Myself.

In all those years of meditation, he had never found a state of calm like he had traveling in this company. In the heat of danger, that's when he could connect with his quietest self. The memory of the monastery renews his confidence in the Revelation Pebble. It was the stone that told him to come to this terrible house. And if someone was to get hurt in there, it would be his fault. He looks to Calleigh and frowns.

Suddenly the barbarian side of him rears -- I could run in and clear the place. Trigger the traps and skewer the thieves.

But no
... Solgar was out of his league. This was a job best left to an expert in these matters. Looking to Bothvar, he says, "We'll stay close behind. Time is short."
 
 
  #33  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 3273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,725
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
xhaling nervously but attempting to hide it from the others, Bothvar tries his best to put on a brave front. "Through the vines it is," he whispers to the others. Approaching the door, he
Dice Perception check, with advantage thanks to Dibo:
2d20+7kh1 (14, 19 (keeping 19) )+7 Total = 26
scans it thoroughly again for danger before he begins to carefully cut through the vines with his shortsword. He is methodical - not fast, but not slow either, moving with a purpose but being sure to carefully slice away the vines while being alert for anything else they might see.

Once he has adequately sliced away the remains of the vines that would impede their movement, he nods at the others and
Dice Stealth check, using Guidance:
1d20+7 (17)+7 Total = 24
1d4 1
slowly makes his way inside.. Though he has not voiced his concerns Bothvar is
Dice Deception check to hide his nervousness:
1d20-1 (18)-1 Total = 17
trying his best to hide it and to exude the self-confidence he often sees Dibo and Solgar emanate. He holds his free left hand up to tell the others to hold while he checks the inside - when he deems it safe, he then motions for the others to follow. He is especially cautious with the floor, recalling Dibo's warning.

 
 

Last edited by Grouchy; 08-05-2018 at 12:22 PM.
  #34  
Old 08-06-2018, 01:27 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,930
The Siege of Ašnor's Reach (Ašnor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


othvar tries his best to put on a brave front. "Through the vines it is," he whispers to the others.

Bothvar chops the vines away from the door, grateful for the delay that allows him time to collect himself. How did I end up leading the way? he thinks with growing unease, hoping like hell that he doesn't get somebody killed. With a final inspection of the doorway and a nod to the others, Bothvar steps into the door frame. Nothing happens. Bothvar heaves a silent sigh of relief as Dibo steps onto the doorstep beside him.

Bothvar and Dibo, with Calleigh and Solgar close behind, move forward into the house. The floor gives way under their feet. Bothvar, moving with inhuman speed, dives into the old fireplace. Dibo grabs the edge just in time, swings his bare feet up, and rolls out of the pit. The four adventurers stand around the edge and exchange rueful glances. That Bothvar and Dibo both succeeded at their DC 12 Dexterity saving throws.was close.

Twenty feet down, a rotting corpse is lying on a bed of spikes in a few inches of rainwater. The victim is wearing a robe covered with patches of various shapes and colors. The arms are clad in gold bracers. A canvas backpack, quite full, is impaled on a spike nearby. A sigh of wind through the forest and house lifts an odor of dampness and decay out of the pit. By the look of things, the unlucky person on the bed of spikes has been dead for a few days, with the moisture accelerating the decomposition process.

Bothvar inspects the trap. It was Sergato's work for sure. The method was unremarkable but the You needed to beat a DC 30 Perception check to spot it.concealment was genius. A stone slab, weighing at least two tons, is disguised as part of the floor, with twigs, bits of rubble, and even a few animal droppings attached to the upper and lower surfaces. Bothvar pushes against the heavy slab and watches it rotate in silence, perfectly balanced, on its long center axis.

He must have been trying to escape rather than enter, Solgar thinks, looking into the pit. The doorway was overgrown because the master of the house avoids it and the poor wretch down there never reached it.

Calleigh drops to one knee and peers down the shaft at the dead human. The red beard looks familiar. The robe resembles one that had belonged to an elf named Malayil Seerollell, an esteemed agent of the Twentieth Tower, until it had inexplicably disappeared from her study chamber. A promising young wizard initiate named Drezdin had been accused of the theft and was expelled from the Twentieth, but the missing robe had never been found. That was eight years ago. Could that be Drezdin, the washed-out wizard, and his ill-gotten garment? she wonders.

Trust, still on edge and dripping with nervous sweat, positions himself outside the door and watches the woods, glancing back at the house every few seconds.

right-aligned image


DM InstructionsThe black area depicts the "fog of war", but not necessarily darkness, to indicate which areas of the map you cannot see from your current position.

D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lateafter, 1 hour remaining until Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, the House of Sergato de Black
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Ašnor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics
  #35  
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,912
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


hadows alive," Calleigh whispered, watching with relief as both Bothvar and avoided the pit trap that awaited them at the entrance. It had been a close thing, and they were lucky that no one was injured, or worse. Calleigh knelt down next to the pit, examining the trap. Bothvar demonstrated the mechanism and Calleigh shook her head, part impressed and part angry. It was a cruel and clever thing, made by someone with an eye for it. She was about to stand, to examine the pit and perhaps the room beyond it, when the robe adorning the body in the pit caught her eye. "It couldn't be..." she murmured, but a closer examination of the robe and the corpse fit the details she could remember. "I know that man," she said after a moment, raise her voice just enough so that she could be heard by Dibo and Bothvar on the other side of the pit. "Or at least, I think I do. Drezdin. He was a wizard who burnt his bridges after being accused of theft...what a sorry end." He'd been talented, from what she could remember. She had wanted to believe the best of him, at the time, but the robe looked similar enough to Seerollell's to confirm the accusation now, eight years later. Little good it did him, in the end. She examined the body a bit more closely now; it was possible they could make use of his ill-gotten gains, if they somehow managed to get him out of the pit.

Calleigh straightened at last, turning her attention to the pit itself. It's too far, she realized at a glance. Jumping it herself would be incredibly risky; it had to be at least 10 feet to the other side. She glanced up at Solgar; he could likely clear the gap in a jump without much of a problem. Perhaps I could climb... but even as she thought it, she discarded the possibility. For all her gifts, physical strength had never been one of them. She had the gear and rope to, perhaps, set something up to make her way across...but the time and the noise required would act against them. She could go around to the passage Dibo had scouted earlier, but there was no telling if that entrance was trapped as well. Devious. Finally, she looked up at Dibo and Bothvar, shrugging a bit sheepishly. "I think I'm going to need a bit of help getting across. I have a rope...maybe if you hold it tight I can get across that way."
 
 
  #36  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
oving in just in time to see the floor shift, Solgar grips the stone wall. When it's clear everyone avoided the trap safely, he utters a quick prayer of thanks. Then he peers in. The charnel smell hits his nostrils, but it's not the worst state he'd seen a man in.

"At least he's at peace,"
the monk says ominously. His thoughts drift back to the parade of living dead swarming the forest.

Calleigh's words indicate a personal connection to the scene. At once Solgar looks to help. "Lady," as he always referred to Calleigh with the greatest respect. "It seems the Twentieth Tower may have an interest in the deceased. Would you like me to check to confirm his identity, or fetch the garment so it could be returned to its rightful owner?"

 
 

Last edited by mountainbound; 08-07-2018 at 10:15 PM.
  #37  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:33 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
Traps!
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
t was as Dibo had suspected! 'Traps!' And devious ones at that. The spikes at the bottom were cruel and would ensure the death of someone who fell. It was a nasty way to go…

Peering down into the pit the scholar could determine that he’d not been dead long. Then Calleigh spoke quietly. He looked at her to receive the news that he was a sometime acquaintance of hers. Wizard. And Thief. Maybe he’d fallen in with some bad sorts. Dibo thought that this whole situation stank, of corpses obviously too, but there was something funny going on. A trapped house. A missing Captain. An unscrupulous Wizard. Also Bothvar seemed to withholding something, quieter than usual with his face set even harder. Avoiding eye-contact. He couldn’t place it yet but there was something in this situation that was wrong. It felt perilous.

The small cleric shook off his suspicions of Bothvar with a concerted effort and reassured himself. 'He’s saved our lives and fought bravely in the face of doom. If he withholds he has his reasons. Trust Bothvar. He shall lead us through this danger. And you’ll help him Master Willowander,' he thought to himself.

When Solgar mentioned retrieving the body Dibo thought that was prudent only if they could do it without getting injured. And perhaps after they had ensured there were no other threats in the building. "Let’s delay that gruesome task until after we have found our Captain. I suspect there are other dangers nearby…" he managed to meet Bothvar’s eyes and hold them for a short moment. The rogue’s eyes were full of stories but he’d keep his council for now.

"Where next?" he waved a hand at the two doors.

 
__________________

Last edited by Niyaga; 08-08-2018 at 03:34 AM.
  #38  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 3273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,725
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
alking carefully into the house, Bothvar places his left foot down only to feel the floor suddenly give way underneath him. Before he can even think, his reflexes kick in and he springs off of his right foot, diving into the nearby fireplace as the trap beneath him gives way. Landing heavily into the small enclosure, his left elbow smacks off of the edge of the stone and his hand goes temporarily numb. Seeing Dibo pull himself out and that Calleigh and Solgar are safe, he exhales loudly as he rubs his hand against his leg. His mind immediately erupts into a series of curses against himself - "You idiot! How did you miss that? By the gods are you lucky, Dibo could have been killed! You failed them all!" Catching Dibo's eyes, it's clear he is ashamed of his failure to notice the trap. His face burns hotly and he cannot make eye contact with Dibo for long without sheepishly lowering his head.

Creeping over to the edge of the pit, Bothvar stares at the corpse down below. Calleigh states she knows him, that this was some kind of wizard who become a thief. He quickly realizes it could have been any one of them. Clearing his throat slightly, the embarrassed Bothvar mumbles "Sorry, everyone." Examining the trap and its masterful camouflage, only one name comes to mind. "Sergato de Black," he thinks to himself, the name itself running a chill down his spine.

At Calleigh's request, Bothvar says "My pack is on the boat so I have no rope unfortunately, Calleigh. There may be a way to lock the slab in place, but this craftsmanship... it's masterful. I do not know if we would be able to find it." Spying the rubble nearby, Bothvar decides to
Dice Investigation:
1d20+4 (12)+4 Total = 16
investigate the debris to see if there is something long and sturdy enough for them to use as an improvised bridge for Calleigh to cross over.

 
 
  #39  
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,930
The Siege of Ašnor's Reach (Ašnor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


othvar waits until the rotating slab is perpendicular to the floor, then jams an iron rod into the exposed mechanism. CRUNK. The slab grinds to a stop. Bothvar nods at Calleigh.

Calleigh removes the rope from her pack, uncoils it, and ties a large loop at one end. She nods at Dibo.

Dibo steps forward and touches Solgar on the elbow. The magical guidance passes from the halfling scholar to the wild human monk. Dibo nods at Solgar.

Solgar climbs down. The mortar between the bricks is crumbling away, offering few handholds, but somehow, with magical help from Dibo, the pathway down seems very clear. Solgar descends, lodging fingertips and big toes into the narrow openings. After a quick probe with his heel to verify there is solid footing in the shallow water between the spikes, Solgar steps down to stand ankle-deep at the bottom of the pit.

Solgar frowns. The stench is worse down here in the confined space. Solgar stoops, dislodges the corpse from the spikes through its chest and leg, and looks up. The looped end of the rope drops down, slapping the wall. Solgar passes the loop around the dead man and under the arms, then raises a thumb in the universal gesture that means hoist away.

The corpse rises as Bothvar, Dibo, and Calleigh haul at the rope. Solgar frees the impaled backpack and spots a shiny object in the water. Solgar picks it up. It's a shortsword, partway drawn from a scabbard. Solgar grips the blade in his teeth and climbs. When he reaches the top, he sets the weapon and perforated pack down beside its deceased former owner.

Dibo searches the body, removing items and placing them on the floor in a row for inspection by all.

Calleigh searches the backpack and adds more belongings to the row of valuables that Dibo is laying out. The last item at the bottom of the backpack is a familiar book, bound in leather and branded -2-0- on the cover. It is the spellbook of an apprentice wizard, but the battered and waterlogged little tome, which, come to think of it, should have been returned to the Twentieth, has seen far more use than was ever intended.

Calleigh thumbs through the pages and 1st level spells: Identify. Detect Magic. 2nd level spell: Knock.
"You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds
or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook
using your own notation." See PHB p. 114 for more details.
finds three spells, one of which is unfamiliar, and a loose scrap of vellum on which is scrawled in awful handwriting:
Handwritten Note
(Dated 12 days ago, 1 day before the invasion started)

D. -

The fool agreed to our price.
Get in. Get it. Get out. Do not open.
Wrap item in rags. Leave at drop.
You have 10 days.

- M.

PS. Forget S d B. Too dangerous.
Go directly to drop afterward.
No more side trips.
The four adventurers eye the loot they have retrieved in mere minutes by working together. They have choices to make about who gets what, and whether or not to obey the order not to open the case to look inside. Otherwise, at the very least, the failed wizard and successful thief known as Drezdin, by making the last mistake of his life, has made the trip to Splinters well worth the while.

The next task may not be so easy, they all think, eying the heavy doors leading to the south and west, which have no visible hinges or handles. Which one do they try? What other tricks has Sergato prepared for them?


right-aligned image


DM InstructionsThe black area depicts the "fog of war", but not necessarily darkness, to indicate which areas of the map you cannot see from your current position.

Treasure call! Woot!
Please divvy everything up, add new items to your equipment lists, and remember to track weight and encumbrance.
  • Robe with 27 colorful patches depicting: Dagger x 2, Bullseye lantern (filled and lit) x 2, Steel mirror x 2, 10-foot pole x 2, Hempen rope (50 feet, coiled) x 2, Sack x 2, Wooden Ladder (24 feet), Potion of Healing x 8, Twin Mastiffs, Iron Door, Pit x 2, Scroll of Leomund's Tiny Hut, and a Scroll of Clairvoyance.
  • Matching gold bracers
  • 4 Potions of Climbing
  • shortsword, probably magical, in scabbard inlaid with gold and silver
  • Burnished oakwood case, 26 x 2 x 2 inches, 4 pounds, wrapped in rags that hold it closed because the locking latch is broken.
  • Spellbook, leather bound, branded -2-0- on the cover
  • Belt pouch 1: 128 pp, 20 gp, 8 ep, 16 sp, 24 cp, gemstone broach (750 gp), gold ring w/bloodstones (250 gp)
  • Belt pouch 2: crystal (arcane focus), assorted spell components, magnifying glass
  • Traveler's clothes (shirt and pants are bloody and torn)
  • Leather Backpack (1-inch punctures on each side
  • Bedroll (multiple 1-inch punctures)
  • Waterskin (empty, punctured)
  • Silk Rope (50 feet)
  • Tent, 2-person
  • String (10 feet)
  • Bell
  • Thieves Tools
  • Crowbar
  • Iron spikes x 8
  • Pitons x 4
  • Hammer
  • Rations x 4


D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lateafter, 50 minutes remaining until Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, the House of Sergato de Black
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Ašnor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 08-10-2018 at 08:01 PM.
  #40  
Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
haring a quick nod with his companions, Solgar unslings his pack and places it next to his greatsword on the ground. With a word of thanks to Dibo for his prayer, the warrior picks his way down the slick wall of the trap and laboriously gathers all items of interest. The smell assaults his nose, but he keeps his stomach, all the while reminding himself of the benefit of these items to the party. In this case, at least for now, Calleigh and Dibo would have much to pour over if he's any judge of equipment. Just as he's about to climb up the last time, he spies something less than wizardly: a shortsword in the water. Picking it up from the putrid muck he can instantly tell the weapon holds some virtue. "Bothvar may appreciate this," he says to himself with a smile.

At the top the tall man lays out the last of the treasure and then looks on as the others sift through the fallen thief's loot. Though he knows nothing of magic, even Solgar can tell this small horde was worth the time. Leaving the more interesting things to his companions, the monk packs away a few of the more practical items: Crowbar, tent, rope and a few other odds and ends.

As the others whisper about the case and whether to open it, Solgar can't help but glance at the two doors leading out of the room. If an enemy were to enter, there were in a poor defensive position. And the sun slanting through the broken walls and windows puts him on edge. "Perhaps we can pack what we think we can carry and continue on. This bounty will be a great aid to us, but somehow I don't think it's the reason the seeing stone intended us to come here."
 
 

Last edited by mountainbound; 08-13-2018 at 10:53 PM.
  #41  
Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,912
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


heir teamwork rewarded them with the illgotten gains of Drezdin, formerly of the Twentieth Tower. After they secured both the items and Solgar Calleigh took a moment to look at the corpse. A tragic end to someone with whom she'd once shared a path. Would his life have been different if he'd just left the robe alone, or were the events that led him to this thieves' den decided long ago? It was impossible to tell, but Calleigh found herself mulling over it anyway.

Solgar's voice brought her back, and she turned to nod at the monk. "I'd like to take a closer look at what Drezdin was carrying...some of it is clearly magical, or can be used to facilitate magic. But this isn't the place for anything time consuming. Perhaps it's best to split what we mean to carry and examine it in detail when time permits." The mysterious errand and the ominous note drew most of Calleigh's attention, though her eyes flickered over to the Twentieth's initiate spellbook that Drezdin had still carried before returning to the rag wrapped bundle. The warning not to open the package could, simply, mean that it wasn't meant for his eyes, but what if it was trapped or cursed? That was a sobering thought, surrounded by death and M'Sion, still without the only person who could carry them to Ašnor's Reach. Still, her curiosity burned, and her eyes flicked back up to Dibo as she shrugged apologetically. If she wanted to know what was inside, she could only imagine the temptation for the knowledge-driven halfling.
 
 
  #42  
Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
Charlatainís Remains
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
ibo grunts and nods his approval at Solgarís gratitude for his prayer of assistance. One might expect a man of his size and bearing to be coarse but someone had taught him manners. It was a pleasant surprise as courtesy was so often lacking these days. He watched the northerner do his gruesome work and assisted where he could. He murmured an inventory as they went, "Rope, string, bellÖ magnifying glass! Iíd quite like that if I mayÖ to make large the detail that may be otherwise overlooked." He then takes it upon himself to divide the coins. "Here you are: a fair share each. You too Captain Trust. Youíre one of us now." He spoke in a low voice not wanting to let anything in the next room hear him.

Aside Calleigh he came across the note and rag-wrapped case. He ran a hand over the Oakwood with great curiosity but, with a glance at his wizard friend he decided against it. Sheíd shrugged to indicate, 'Now was not the time.'

Although his curiosity burned (as Calleighís did he could see!) he mastered himself knowing that where he was sometimes drawn into troubles by wanting to know everything, his halfling friend often demonstrated more restraint. Of course he considered himself sensible and rational but everyone had their weakness. Diboís was opening doors to find out what was on the other sideÖ

Which brought him to their current crossroads. Two doors; nothing to recommend one over the other apart from location. 'WellÖ ideally weíd like to be headed south: back to Ašnor's Reach.'

"If I had to choose I think Iíd choose that door,"
he pointed to the southern door. "But it makes one wary to think of this trap which I nearly fell into. That would have been the end of Dibo indeed," he gave a quiet chuckle. "Should we sweep the floor with magic before we pass Calleigh?"

 
__________________
  #43  
Old 08-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Grouchy's Avatar
Grouchy Grouchy is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 3273
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,725
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
othvar was unable to locate any kind of lumber for Calleigh to cross over, but spying a rusted iron rod he decides to improvise. Grabbing the rod, he activates the floor once again and when the timing is right, he jams the rod into the rotating gears and manages to disable the device, allowing Calleigh and Trust the ability to walk across uninhibited.

Watching Solgar descend the rope, Bothvar keeps his senses on high alert. Sergato de Black is not the type of man to rely on his security with just one trap, and Bothvar is not the type to gamble on chance. Once Solgar has tied the rope around the corpse, Bothvar helps lift the remains out and assists the others in stripping it of its valuables. As they go through the spoils, he reads the letter over Calleigh's shoulders and feels his face involuntarily tightening at the initials "S d B". No doubt about it now - despite the invasion of the M'Sion, Sergato de Black is still alive. His left ankle throbs slightly at the memory, as he remembers the arrow that pierced him.

At the mention of using magic before proceeding to the door, Bothvar says "If magic can detect more traps, I say we do that."




 
 
  #44  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,930
The Siege of Ašnor's Reach (Ašnor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


ake up, Solgar," says a voice, gentle and familiar.

Solgar awakens, lying on his back. The Revelation Stone is shining through his closed eyelids like a personal Sun. Somewhere, close by, a saw is cutting a branch--vooh ugh vooh ugh vooh ugh--as a woman screams and screams and screams.

Solgar opens his eyes and sits up. The world around him is a dome of fog.

"Answer me, devil," urges a gruff voice, shouting over the screams. "End your pain!"

The fog parts. Ten Pillardiers have pinned a young tiefling woman to a stone floor. The tiefling is filthy and naked except for rope bindings so numerous that she resembles a mummy. An eleventh Pillardier is sawing off her one remaining horn near the scalp. Despite her restraints, the enraged tiefling twists with a demonic strength, bucking her assailants about as they struggle to hold her down.

"Answer me," repeats the harsh voice. "Why have you come to this land?"

The tiefling gives no sign. Her writhing body is defiance cast in flesh and bone. Her open mouth is a cavern of screams.

The curtain of fog closes. The screams fly away. Solgar gets to his feet. The Revelation Stone turns in his fist. The fog parts again.

A wrinkled old woman is standing in a slant of sunlight, holding a plum. The stumps of two severed horns peek through the thin gray hair at her temples. She puts the fruit to her lips, about to bite in, but drops it instead. The old woman tugs her red chador and burlap hood forward across her head, covering the stumps, and whirls about to face Solgar. She raises her palm to him, fingers splayed, like a warrior might ready a shield.

"Who are you?" she croaks, narrowing her eyes as she looks Solgar over.

Solgar has no chance to respond. The world goes dark. For the second time, Solgar opens his eyes, but this time he is lying on his back in the ruined house. Outside, the daylight is failing. The Revelation Stone thrums in his grip.

"Fates be praised," says Trust, helping Solgar to his feet. "My friends are awakened."

Solgar looks around. Dibo, Bothvar, and Calleigh are lying unconscious on the floor. Bothvar is beginning to stir. Dibo and Calleigh are breathing but lying very still. The area outside the south door, like the four adventurers, is coated with a thin green-white film. The door is ajar, affording a view of a small room beyond. Three barrels are within. Two are standing upright. A third is lying on its side atop a crushed wooden box, just inside the door frame.

"A cloud of dust rushed forth when you opened the door," said Trust. "You Your saving throws were 1, 2, 6, and 9.all fell asleep."

Dibo and Calleigh yawn, stretch and get up. The unseen servant is waiting nearby, still clutching the burlap sack full of stones. Calleigh senses that the spell has You can estimate from this that you were out for about 10 minutes.three-quarters of its time remaining until the magic runs out. We have not been sleeping for long, Calleigh thinks, puzzled. But why I can't remember casting the unseen servant spell, or commanding it to drag the sack around the room?

Bothvar rises and inspects the trap. It was classic Sergato: simple but almost impossible to detect. A heavy barrel had been leaning against a bracket on the other side of the door. Open the door and the blow from the falling barrel bursts open the little box, ejecting its dusty contents out into the room. It was sleeping powder, Bothvar realizes, touching the residue to his tongue. A nasty dust that not only sends you to dreamland, but wipes your memory of the moments right before.

"What happened ere the dust I cannot tell, for my eyes and ears were upon our foes," Trust was saying. He removes a mouse from his battered birdcage and feeds it to the owl on his shoulder. "The Reborn foulcraft is done by half. They will finish defiling the dead by nightfall. What the Reborn shall do then, I do not know. Some or all will either head west or hold the town, if I should hazard a guess."

Dibo looks to the west door. What now? he thinks. Do we risk more traps here or withdraw and try exploring another part of the house?



DM InstructionsYou are able to work out this much at least: the last thing any of you remember after dividing the loot is that you loaded a sack with stones. Trust was over by the vine door at that time. He explains that he was busy spying on the M'Sion and did not see or hear anything anything that happened in the house between the time Calleigh cast her spell and the time Bothvar finished his inspection and opened the door.

The black area depicts the "fog of war", but not necessarily darkness, to indicate which areas of the map you cannot see from your current position.

D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lateafter, 30 minutes remaining until Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, the House of Sergato de Black
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Ašnor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 08-19-2018 at 01:07 PM.
  #45  
Old 08-21-2018, 06:29 PM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
A Bad Choice
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
he halfling shook himself from the artificial sleep and quietly cursed. 'An alchemical powder. A slain wizard. A trapped ruin. More of Sedges criminal underworld it would seem.' It amazed him that during this time of war and death that the pursuit of wealth seems so fickle. And now they were being slowed by someoneís efforts to protect their coin.

Dibo acknowledged his poor choice of portals with whispered anger. "This place is full of traps! Why must everything prevent us from our task! This cursed dust. Whose house is this anyway? More of the smugglers tricks? Perhaps poor Wincoy might have known moreÖ" His words and exasperation trailed off in search of a scapegoat but there was just one more undoubtedly trapped portal. "That," he pointed at the western door, "is likely trapped but I feel weíre bound to test it." He calmed a little and gathered himself with a sigh, "Bothvar, let me bless your investigation again and hope that it yields more results than the last." With that he wove his 15 sec casting of Guidanceincantation and prepared to Help Action however Bothvar would like to use ithelp his friend once more searching the door.

 
__________________
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB