RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Priestess > Brekka
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 2289
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 1,754
Cadogan
right-aligned image
Cadogan looked around once more at the guardroom, considering their other options, before cursing under his breath. ”I don't like it, but we should rest here. At least it's defensible, and we may not get another chance. There could be more of those things waiting down any tunnel we take from here.” He looked from one companion to another, as he picked up his sword, ”We can set a watch. I doubt those flaming bastards are any good at sneaking around in the dark down here.”




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Smokefire12's Avatar
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1706
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12
Posts: 1,416
JubaiJubai nods at the sense in the warrior's words. "I've trapped the hallway beyond, but I'll take first watch. "Watch" being a word that Gryff associated strongly with long, boring wait, the owl swatted the ranger in the head with a wing, but otherwise relented.

The two found a spot near the doorway with a view down the hallway, but concealed from sight. They'd rely on their makeshift trap for sound, but the ranger's elven eyes would be their best defense.


 
__________________
I've taken the Oath of Sangus.
Jubai in the Priestess campaign.
Braum Jorim in Wave Echo Cave
Novos Albright in West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Superstrength79's Avatar
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 is offline
I'm Super! thx for asking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1385
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Posts: 3,989
Alaura'lyn
left-aligned image
Alaura'lyn looks to Jubai and suggests, "We should rest in pairs. You with either Cadogan or Dhargalir, and I with the other". She leaves the rest of her thought unspoken, so the others can fill in the blank on their own, and so it hasn't been said aloud

- They don't know each other well enough to fall asleep with only one person, from either side, standing watch.

Looking around the room, the eladrin tries to find a corner or a piece of furniture to rest behind so as not to be seen immediately if someone enters the room. As she is prepping an area, she thinks to add "Oh, and we shouldn't have any lights on other than the furnace. In case passing guards are negligent and take silence and a familiar site as evidence that they can ignore their duties".

 
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-26-2018, 11:54 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 6,422
Dhargalir
right-aligned image
At Alaura'lyn's suggestion they take watch in pairs, Durndim pipes up and offers to take first watch with Jubai. As he speaks his gaze falls over the cauterized and welted wounds across the ranger's chest.

The dwarf has several things on his mind and he waits until Cadogan falls asleep and the elf enters her trance before bringing them up with Jubai.

"Ya fight well, lad and that's a pretty loyal bird ya got there to boot. I hope ya don't hold a grudge I gave ya little nudge into the fight...I...I just wasn't sure how much more Cadogan could take before he fell and then those...dwarves would have been on us."

He glanced back out to the doorway, outside of which lied the bodies of his bronzed kin. "If the stories are true, its a terrible fate that befell those who stayed and fought with the fire demon. Which brings me to my point...this is all pretty fantastical if you ask me. An elf from another world, that letter with the answer to open the door to Dhargalir...the attack on Brekka. I mean, I wouldn't even be down here if the town wasn't under siege. If only my brother could be here to see this. The Halls of Dhargalir opened before us. I volunteered for first watch on account I don't think I'd have fallen asleep too easy. You said you had lost some of your party getting here. I'm sorry for that. You make a bond with those you travel with that is not easily broken. Hell, I just found Cadogan down here not but a day or so ago and I'd hate to think of losing him."

"How'd you come to be under the mountain?"




oocAlaura'lyn and Cadogan can chat while they're on watch too if you'd like. No encounters during this rest. We'll do a little RP and then move things along.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-27-2018, 02:36 AM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 2289
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 1,754
Cadogan
right-aligned image
Cadogan couldn't help but stare, somewhat, though he kept his focus on the tunnels for the most part. He'd met dwarves before in Kersdinas, even spoke their language in a fashion, but he'd never thought he meet an elf, let alone two. Still, he couldn't help but notice the differences between the two, a nagging suspicion in the back of his mind.

”So...” he said as he stood to stretch; the first words either of them had spoken since they had taken over from the others. His wounds itched, though he was glad they hadn't been as bad as he had first thought. A dressing and some ointment he carried for just such occasions to ward off infection, and he was on his way to mending. ”Alaura'lyn, how long have you known the boy? Jubai, I mean.”

Glancing at the woman, Cadogan could only hope he had gotten their names right. He'd never given much stock in names, but some considered a name an almost holy thing. ”I suppose I mean to ask if you knew each other from before your travels. Being that you're both elves. Not many of your kind around Rhyfel.” The big man rolled his shoulders, first forward, then back, his chain hauberk rising and falling with them as he continued to stretch. Nervous energy mostly, as he was beginning to get the impression that they'd found the guard station at the ass-end of the dwarven lands. ”Then again, I suppose were not in Rhyfel anymore, so I don't rightly know what goes for normal 'round here.” Cadogan's voice trailed off after that, mumbling something about dwarves on fire.




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Smokefire12's Avatar
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1706
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplum View Post
[fieldset=Dhargalir]
right-aligned image

"Ya fight well, lad and that's a pretty loyal bird ya got there to boot. I hope ya don't hold a grudge I gave ya little nudge into the fight...I...I just wasn't sure how much more Cadogan could take before he fell and then those...dwarves would have been on us."

He glanced back out to the doorway, outside of which lied the bodies of his bronzed kin. "If the stories are true, its a terrible fate that befell those who stayed and fought with the fire demon. Which brings me to my point...this is all pretty fantastical if you ask me. An elf from another world, that letter with the answer to open the door to Dhargalir...the attack on Brekka. I mean, I wouldn't even be down here if the town wasn't under siege. If only my brother could be here to see this. The Halls of Dhargalir opened before us. I volunteered for first watch on account I don't think I'd have fallen asleep too easy. You said you had lost some of your party getting here. I'm sorry for that. You make a bond with those you travel with that is not easily broken. Hell, I just found Cadogan down here not but a day or so ago and I'd hate to think of losing him."

"How'd you come to be under the mountain?"

JubaiJubai, sat and watched corridor silently as Durndim spoke to him. The young half-elf wanted nothing more to reach out the dwarf in friendship, like a vagabond finding a fire amidst a blizzard, but he held himself in check. When the dwarf mentioned the loyalty of Gryff, he couldn't suppress a grin when the damned owl puffed out its chest.

"Don't be sorry, Durndim. Your words, and your gift were a boon. Things could have gone far worse.." In his mind, the image of Cornan gently floating downward from the cave, only to be snatched by monstrous tentacles flashed. It left the ranger short of breath, but he concealed his distress as best he could.

"I wish I knew why I was here," he spoke plainly, not looking away from the face of the dwarf. "It seems as if the day I met her he gestured to the sleeping form of Alaura'lyn, "everything changed. I've guided this group to the best of my ability but.... I've failed. The only thing carrying me now is the hope that I might complete the Priestess' quest, and that I might prevent further death."

With that said, the ranger lapsed into silence, his brow creased as he contemplated his own words. And the larger threat that seemed to loom over the land like a presence.
__________________
I've taken the Oath of Sangus.
Jubai in the Priestess campaign.
Braum Jorim in Wave Echo Cave
Novos Albright in West Marches

Last edited by Smokefire12; 09-27-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Superstrength79's Avatar
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 is offline
I'm Super! thx for asking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1385
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Posts: 3,989
Alaura'lyn
left-aligned image
 

The eladrin sighed as she received Cadogan's line of questioning. She was too tired to point out that Cadogan might as well be a child to her as well. Four hundred years of life is a long time, and although she is yet to even reach the middle of her possible lifespan, Alaura'lyn carried the burden of being the sole survivor of her people. She would have to learn to let people from this new world have their mannerisms and not try to scold them as if they were of elven blood.

"The young one was there when I arrived in this land. He is pure of heart and eager to protect others. I have not been here long, but enough time has passed for me to trust that he doesn't have any dual purpose."

She shares just a little of her past, to ease the human's concerns, "I am eladrin, and similar to your elves, but this land is new to me. I am not familiar with why your people fight each other, and I ask that you remember that in the future. My goal is to see this mission through and worry about the future after that."

 

Last edited by Superstrength79; 09-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 2289
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 1,754
Cadogan
right-aligned image
Eladrin? So... not an elf? Cadogan sighed, he had so many questions, and doubted he would get many answers. Got here? From where? Still, there were things other than the 'elf-eladrin' thing that he could ask about.

”The mission. What exactly is the mission?"




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Superstrength79's Avatar
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 is offline
I'm Super! thx for asking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1385
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Posts: 3,989
Alaura'lyn
left-aligned image


"At first the mission appeared to be simply delivering this letter, and for me was mainly to survive until I found my bearings. Now it appears we slaughter these dwarven creatures."

Alaura'lyn looked to see his reaction and then added, "Has the Gray Lady appeared before you as well?"


 
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-29-2018, 02:30 AM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 2289
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 1,754
Cadogan
right-aligned image
”Appeared before me? Ha!” Cadogan shook his head, doing his best not to laugh too loudly at the lady's jest lest he wake the others. He thrust a thumb over his shoulder back toward Brekka, ”Only insomuch as her husband's army is laying waste to Brekka back there, or preparing to. Don't suppose the guards are going to be much of a match for an old frost giant on the rampage. Gonna be a massacre.”

Cadogan reached down into his pack, resting on the floor near his feet, and pulled out some of his rations. He broke off a piece of hard bread and a bit of boot-leather jerky, only to wash it down with warm water when his jaw was tired from chewing. He offered Alaura'lyn a helping, as he had plenty.

”A strange coincidence,” he said in a more even tone of voice, his thoughts collected, ”you lot carrying a letter that held the key to getting into this place, only to find someone that could make sense of it right here at the very door.”




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day

Last edited by Starflier; 09-29-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 6,422
Durndim
right-aligned image
"Failed?! I would call it no such thing. Your priestess carried the key to get into the mountain and within the mountain we are. You cannot save and protect everyone, all you can do it try and from what I've seen, I'm sure you've done that in spades."

The dwarf chuckled and shook his head. "When wizards and gods get involved in things...what can we mortals do but try our best to survive until whatever conclusion is intended plays out?"
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:22 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7895
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 6,422
Is it a party? No's but those are some fungis After a well deserved rest, the group felt reenergized enough to continue their journey into the lost Kingdom of Dhargalir. Their worries about a change of guard proved unfounded as they were left completely alone and in complete silence. There was a steady breeze that blew through the passage.

"Most likely warmer air from further in joining with the cold cave air since we've opened a door that had long since been shut."

The passage was straight and sloped up steep enough that once it finally ended, there wasn't a single calf that did not ache from the constant climb. The air hung thick with moisture and the damp smell of rot pervaded the tunnel. After nearly an hour of walking, the corridor opened to a vast forest of mushrooms.


Orange, blue, purple, yellow, white, grey, all illuminated by tiny blue glowing caps in the ceiling of the cavern nearly fifty or sixty feet above. Some were barely off the ground while others grew in columns so large they nearly reached the heights of the chamber. Despite the dim light produced by the glowing caps, none could discern how far this cavern extended though the sides would be well over a couple hundred feet apart. While none of you had ever seen a proper fungus warren, it appeared much like a farm field that had gone wild. There were clusters of similar mushrooms interspersed to a lesser degree my the fungus from the neighboring 'field'. It would appear that the denizens of Dhargalir had no need for the food that was once cultivated here.

A lone path snaked through the fields, leading off to your right in the dimly lit chamber towards the right wall and then off into the gloom.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Starflier's Avatar
Starflier Starflier is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 2289
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Posts: 1,754
Cadogan
right-aligned image
”The farming warrens you mentioned, I take it?” Cadogan's question was brief, interspersed with a deep breath; the damp air and the climb were not doing him any favors. He took a moment to stand still and take in everything around him. Another wondrous sight, to be sure, but he was finding wonder was usually followed by a fight to the death and he didn't plan to be caught unawares again. ”Hopefully that livestock you mentioned earlier has not grown as large and wild as these mushrooms.”




 
__________________
Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter
The Song of the Day
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Smokefire12's Avatar
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1706
Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12 Smokefire12
Posts: 1,416
Jubai
right-aligned image


Jubai crept carefully at the head of the group, pausing when he heard sounds. One couldn't be too careful in this scene drawn by so inhuman a hand. The mushrooms, and their soft bathing light, almost seemed a vision to the young ranger. They matched the proud, sentinel beauty of the trees of the Great Forest, but their appearance, and its subterranean visage unnerved the half-elf. When the warrior spoke, presumably to Durndim, the ranger froze, cursing his nerves, but forgave himself given their ghostly surroundings.

As he scouted, he kept his eyes
Dice Survival check:
1d20+4 (12)+4 Total = 16
scanning for forage, or other herbs that might prove useful. Once they'd found themselves in the center of the field, and the path leading into gloom, Jubai craned his neck and
Dice Perception roll:
1d20+4 (5)+4 Total = 9
peered into the darkness.
__________________
I've taken the Oath of Sangus.
Jubai in the Priestess campaign.
Braum Jorim in Wave Echo Cave
Novos Albright in West Marches
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Superstrength79's Avatar
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 is offline
I'm Super! thx for asking
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1385
Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79 Superstrength79
Posts: 3,989
Alaura'lyn
left-aligned image


Alaura'lyn followed closely behind Jubai. She looked at the mushrooms, to see if Failed Nature check. Result 8she recognized any of them, but this realm proved to be still alien to her. The eladrin would watch her steps carefully to avoid anything that might be poisonous.

She quietly commented to the others, but mainly Cadogan, "This is surely a feeding ground and not merely a garden. We should stay alert."


 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB