Old Sep 24th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Descendant of Dragons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6092
Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon Dakkon
Kayle-Morgan
right-aligned image

Before, there had been an ephemeral weight that had pressed heavily upon her shoulders, the slightest of touches that reached deeply and tried pushing the soul to the dark recesses of this foul tomb. But now, in thanks to the cleverness of her companions, the weight was now gone. Kayle-Morgan took a deep breath, and exhaled carefully. There was a foulness, real or perhaps simply imagined, that was now gone. But the place still stunk, and was dusty. Definitely not a place her Goddess would approve of.

With her part done, she walked to Korr's side, and placed a hand on the warrior's shoulder. Her friend was alive, and that was wonderful. One heavy burden she did not have to carry. They had all made it through, all except poor Doc. That was a weight they would all have to live with. With their companion dead, his responsibilities were now theirs. His reason for having come here, was now their own. Now, if they could just all finish the job, and make it out alive, that would bring her great joy.

Stat Block

I have Sworn the oath of Sangus!
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14985
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
Oliver, even though exhausted, made short work of the chest's lock once the trap was disabled. The lid swung open and a hateful energy spilt out into the room with the vibrating force of a beating heart. Within the chest, the delvers discover a heap of gold coins and several rolled up scrolls. Beneath these objects lies the source of the pure hatred; a book covered in leathery humanoid skin, stretched out in a way that gave the book the appearance of having its own evil face.

left-aligned image
Kayle reached into the chest and bravely took up the evil tome, the lich's phylactery, home to her dark soul. The skin writhed of the book's cover writhed with a life of its own, none too pleased with the theft. There was more than enough time for the others to collect the gold and scrolls still within the chest.

The group did not hesitate to backtrack through the lair to the exit. Down the winding cliff steps, they hurried, back to the beach where they discovered a harried halfling wizard, scratched and bleeding, desperately defending the boat from a vicious skeletal hydra that came up over the side. Evidently, Callibrax was holding his own as the hydra only had two heads left, whereas Callibrax, though wounded and hard pressed, seemed to have all of his bits still intact. The wizard sensed the group's approach, shouting back over his shoulder "Do you have the phylactery?" He flashed a smile when Kayle lifted the lich's hideous spellbook. "There! On the beach! The circle I prepared for you! Step inside and it will take you and the book straight to Remalia!"

The group did not take long to discover the circle scribed into the ground of the shore. As soon as the first person stepped inside the circle's runes began to glow. When the last entered there was a sudden flash of blue light. You are transported to a circle of runes on a forest floor. Dark pine trees with enormous spider webs block out the sky. Injured and dead Harpers are laid on stretchers and the remains of skeletons, zombies, demons, constructs, and more litter the ground. Before you is the monolithic tower of black stone that Zaldara calls home. The smell of flesh burning and the ring of steel emanates from the place of horrors.

“Stay here!” calls the voice of Remallia Haventree. The elf stands behind you, her left leg crisp with burned flesh and her right arm limp and bleeding. She screams at the tower, “Zaldara! It is done! We have your spellbook!”

right-aligned image
An instant later, there is a terrible crack. Appearing before you is a woman with a face that is half beautiful, half skull. Despite her ragged breath and multiple fresh wounds, the Duchess of Rot is still clearly a force to be reckoned with. She points a finger at Remallia, and lifts her high into the air, and drops the elf back to the ground unconscious. The lich's legs seem about to buckle for a moment before she turns to you. “I’ll take that back,” she says with a weak, but defiant voice.

OODMYou gained 20 xp each for disarming the Lightning Column Trap

Facing the lich, Zaldara, is the final act of the prologue and level 1. Once this is concluded I will ask all those involved to either renew their commitment to the game and level up your character to level 2, or retire from it. Of course, I would love for you all to renew your commitment before I move the game onto Chapter 1 where the tone will change dramatically and the world (or rather Chult) will become your oyster. This was merely the buy-in. Life sometimes has other ideas, so I will, of course, understand if you choose not to. Having said that, please do get involved in the final scene either way. The situation can, of course, be handled in any number of ways, however, clearly things are desperate and you find that the mantle of responsibility to deal with Zaldara has fallen upon your shoulders. You are acutely aware that your purpose was extract information from the lich regarding the nature of the Death Curse using the phylactery as a bargaining chip (just in case you have forgotten, your characters have not).

Good luck! And yes, with what appears to be wavering interest in the game, a party wipe is very possible in this situation! (I don't want that but I am prepared for it) So choose your path wisely!

Last edited by jbear; Sep 26th, 2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Illithid Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1819
Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser
Rhett
right-aligned image
Watching the creepy lich woman simply appear before them sending Remallia toppling to the ground like a string-cut doll, Rhett snarled. Stepping forward, once again doing his best to appear unmatched and uninjured, the pirate bucked his head up and spit out words. "Countaoffa. No."

Raising his hand to Kayle who he knew still held the fleshmade soul-book Zaldara was so keen on, he brought forth a better offer. "Kayle, can yew give me that book? I don't think this witch knows how much I hate magic, necroshite and her right now." A hand cast over the massive hole in his shirt and beneath to the still visible and gruesome lines of pink scarring upon his chest.

He was not a man above pettiness and revenge, and right now the sailor was beginning to forget the plan with his supposed captain in the mud and his blood on his chest.

"Oi hag, what's the chances of yew coming back when I kill you? I'm thinkin' it's zero without yer book, but I'm feelin' real scholarly right now. Maybe verminous dogs don't go to heaven."
Rhett Logan

Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13301
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
Seeing Rhett take the lead frightened Sskath more than anything she had seen so far in this entire nightmarish journey. The man was too unstable, too irrational. The thing that bothered her the most was that he just didn't believe that thinking was important. The ideas of moves and countermoves, anticipation and response, were woven into the fabric of her being. With a flicker of magic, she ignited a magical bonfire a few feet away from Kayle-Morgan. Steady, true, and smart...that one would figure out what to do.

Although it was one of the hardest things for one of her kind to do, she Cast guidancewhispered a brief prayer and strode forward. She used Persuasion 19every Yuan-ti trick to appear confident, to draw every eye to herself, to be convincing. Sskath looked the foul creature in the eye and spoke.

"Lady Zaldara, we have dared all this, risked your wrath, for knowledge, information. About foul magic. I propose a trade - the knowledge we seek for the phylactery that you kept so carefully guarded."

Sskath kept her eyes carefully trained on the lich's face and body, but a desiccated and burned corpse was Insight 9very difficult to read.

OOC

Last edited by Berith; Oct 1st, 2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 03:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Rage flickered across the lich's face as the scarred pirate made his counter 'offa'. "You look more half dead than me, human ruffian. The feeling of hatred is quite mutual, believe me" she snarled apparently not cowed by Rhett's words. Zaldara raised a hand and dark energies crackled at her fingertips. And then Sskath spoke gently, the bonfire that awoke next to Kayle and the lich's precious spellbook making the real intentions behind her words dangerously clear. Zaldara lowered her hand and looked about the battlefield, raising what was left of her decaying eyebrows. She graced Sskath with a black-toothed smile. "Oh, my dear! All of this?" Her bony hand swept about the area littered with death, chaos and destruction. "All of this was just to ask me a question?" A silvery laugh escaped her throat. For the briefest moment, you can imagine what she might have looked like when was was young and beautiful. "All of this was merely to hold my attention so little rats could scurry into my basement and steal my belongings? So that I would answer your questions! How very clever of you Harpers. Oh, how painfully amusing that Remalia still knows me so well after so many years."

"Fine. I am sufficiently amused. Muzzle your hound" she adds nodding at Rhett, " and hand me back my book, and I will answer your questions as well as I am able, young yuan-ti." Zaldara holds out her hand expectantly.
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
"...and hand me back my book, and I will answer your questions as well as I am able..."

She had done it! She! Her cold blood sang in her veins. But they had not won yet. "Muzzle your hound," the lich had said, and she clearly had no love for Rhett. Sskath shot an imploring look at Bernhardt, the only one besides the boy who had any influence over the thug. Then she regathered her composure and faced the lich again.

"Lady Zaldara," Sskath said, pointedly ignoring the raging bonfire. "Let us discuss this foul magical curse first, then we will depart and leave your book in a safe place. We have no use for it, other than for bargaining."

Sskath paused to collect her thoughts. So much had happened since their first conversations with the Harpers. "They call it the Death Curse. It afflicts those who have died and been brought back to life. Resurrection magic no longer works, no healing magic works on those afflicted. Only a magical silver coffin can preserve the bodies of the dead, for a time, in the hopes of a cure."

She drew a deep breath. "They say that none know more about death and defying it than Zaldara Coldress. Your power is beyond dispute." This last with a glance around the battlefield. "We would be grateful for any information or insight you had about this curse - where it might come from, how it might be broken."

OOC

Last edited by Berith; Sep 28th, 2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 01:22 AM
It's probably a joke.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4463
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Bernhardt
left-aligned image

Yes, and how might we survive this without the book. Bernhardt had a pointed glare upon the lich, his sword planted in the ground before him. Not in its scabbard. No, not now.

"Where, where or who, might it come from. That first, then your, book." He dare not speak more, lest his righteous fury find more reason to bear down so heavily upon the woman before they heard what she knew. The knight rose a hand from its rest upon the hilt of his sword, then over to his brother. They stood as a unit, all of them, he wouldn't force his brother back, he could barely keep such himself, but Sskath would have her chance first.

Though he was watching and turned an eye subtly towards Korr as the lich and their yuan-ti spoke. Surely the man could see what he had. Seeing the weakness in an enemy didn't require book learning, but that which repetitive training gave - a wizened instinct.

Zaldara did not stand fully upon her feet.

Ser Bernhardt Logan

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31568
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Korr
right-aligned image

Korr was not exactly what you would call a clever negotiator. He spoke truth just about all the time and had no poker face to be heard of from any who knew him. On top of that he would most likely be out manuevered in such a confrontation rather quickly. He knew his strengths and his weaknesses and for all his strength social civility was his weakness. That said an orc had to try, his brother was at stake.

"Smart Dead lady. You are still pretty despite the half of your face that isn't, and I am sure you are powerful. You can help many with just a simple truth. I know you no like us with book and Korr no like having to take it. I give you my word that you get book back when we know what you know of Death curse. Like friend say, no need book, just need truth of Death Curse."

Korr Shalpag

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad
Oliver stares in horrified awe at the Duchess of Rot, taking a step back and raising Doc's rapier in an instinctive defense. His mind moves slowly in it's exhausted state as he tries to comprehend the situation and the actions of his companions.
Quote:
"Kayle, can yew give me that book? I don't think this witch knows how much I hate magic, necroshite and her right now."
Yeah, you tell 'er Rhett... wait... but that means...
"No!" the boy shouts as the meaning of Rhett's words sink in. He steps forward and kicks the pirate in the shin, "We have to save them... save Gilbert..." ...we NEED her
The boy's voice trails off as Sskath takes charge of the situation. The snake-woman could be terrifying when she put her mind to it, and Oliver thought it best to remain quiet and hope that the woman's ire would remain focused on the lich.

Quote:
"Muzzle your hound"
The image of Rhett being muzzled briefly amuses him, but Oliver knows when to keep silent. He simply reaches out to grab Rhett's hand, and squeezes it while looking pleadingly at the lich. Please tell us... please...

Last edited by Tad; Sep 28th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old Sep 30th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
There is a tense silence that goes on far too long as the brave infiltrators demand the information before the book is handed over. The silence is only punctuated by the odd dull groan of agony from a few of the mortally wounded survivors scattered about the place who clutch onto the thin threads of their dwindling lives. Zaldara's eyes bear down on each one of those who bravely stand before her, holding her soul at ransom. "Wise" she purrs at last. Her eyes locking at last with Kayle who sustains the book near the flames but makes no motion to speak. "But neither am I a naive maid to be led down the garden path by the handsome milkman. What to do? What would bind us in momentary trust?" She clucks her tongue as she thinks. "You see, you big burly dolt, though I wish to believe your promise, I can tell you have about as much clout amongst your peers, as a hound might in the politics dealt at his master's table while he scavenges below it, snapping up the fallen scraps." Her eyes flit back to rest on Korr as she says this. Her eyes move back to Sskath. "And you my dear ... you are the odd one out aren't you? You I would trust if not for the company you keep. But I see you are not well loved and I dare say that it is not your hand that sustains my book. But let me attempt to build a bridge. I suppose you came across my former companion in the cells when you were skulking about my basement?" Zaldara observes the reaction to this question and then laughs. "No. I see that you, in fact, did not. Even now she is faithful to me. How touching. Let me fetch her so that we might continue to bargain. Yuan-ti, ensure the others wait until I return! Your life depends on it!"

WIth that Zaldara turned her back and began walking towards the front door of her tower, which swung open before her. If there was ever a time to do things by brute force, the lich had her back turned. Might this be a moment of advantage to slay her now and do the world a favor?

If the group instead chose to wait and see what this bridge was that Zaldara proposed to build in order to advance their negotiations, and thus extract the information peacefully, the Lich would return some minutes later holding a small creature bound about the neck by a black chain. The lich's attention would not be on the group as she moved towards them, but instead on the creature that she held, a forlorn-looking pseudodragon that held its head away from the lich as though horribly offended by her touch. The look up the lich's wrinkled face is quite the picture. It is clearly marked by the emotion of sadness and loss. Might this moment of emotion be an opportunity to attack the lich and gain an advantage?

Returning to the distance held at the standoff as before, the lich would at last turn away from the bound pseudodragon and lock eyes with Oliver. "Boy. You and only you may approach and take my prisoner. This is Elonast. We were once the closest of friends. Though those days have long past, she is perhaps the only creature whose life I hold in as much esteem as my own. I would not lose her any more than I would be willing to die myself. Once you have Elonast, you will bring me the book. Once I have the book I will tell you what I know about the Death Curse. Then you will return Elonast to me and we can all go on our separate ways and never see each other again, or meddle in each other's affairs. Elonast will tell you that I will not betray a promise made in her presence."

The group, however, would have to decide if negotiations got this far before the pseudodragon made any gesture to confirm or deny the lich's words.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 05:35 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad Tad
Oliver gulps audibly and turns to his companions, desperately seeking guidance or better yet another option. When it becomes clear that this is his job to do, and his alone, Oliver nervously approaches Zaldara. He avoids looking directly at the lich and eventually finds his gaze focused on the chained pseudo-dragon. Concern fills his voice as he reaches to take the poor chained creature and speaks to it. "Elonast? Is that your name?"

Oliver turns back and walks slowly towards his companions, stroking the pseudo-dragon and whispering quietly to it. "Shhh, s'okay little guy. Don't worry, I've got you." Though his attention appears to be focused solely on the burden he bears, Oliver is also closely examining the creature's bonds looking for a way to release it's chains.

Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:00 PM
Illithid Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1819
Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser Anthrueser
Rhett
right-aligned image
'Fockin' Olly.' His knee hurt and Rhett had held everything in him from backhanding the boy after his kick. Still now, his anger simmered beneath his eyes as he yanked his hand from the boy's grip, instead filling it with the pommel of his sword. They couldn't be getting emotional now, not with the lich watching their every move. She would do all she could to gain the upper hand and kill them all.

Beside him Rhett could see Bernhardt clutching his blade as well. It seemed like only the two of them knew what needed to be done. What would happen if they didn't.

The moment they passed over the book she would kill them, that was certain. All the death that surrounded them would go unpunished and her evil would continue. And for what? Some small facts about a curse? Some brief insights from a murderer? As his eyes burrowed into the lich's tower, waiting for her return, he knew what his mother would want him to do.

When she returned once again the lich made delectable offers, sureties, but he cared nothing for them. They were lies, he was certain. The snake she called a tongue only ensured one thing, and that was his grip on his blade.

As Oliver listened to her and collected the chained dragon creature the lich had offered, Rhett used the slight distraction of it to whisper to Kayle.

"Oi, Kayle. Give me the book." He had no clue how she would act in the exchange, but her eyes had been to the corpses that surrounded them and he could only take that as a good sign. She knew the danger this monster possessed towards their people.

Yeah, he was certain she would help him. As he placed his hand out for the phylactery, behind him his other hand slowly unsheathed his blade. It was a subtle movement, hidden from all but Bernhardt (who was so close to him he would be able to hear the slight sound of metal against leather), and perhaps to her. It declared his intent without words.
Rhett Logan

Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 05:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Sskath Yiskah
right-aligned image
Once the little dragon curled itself around the boy's arm, Sskath relaxed a little. Not much, not much at all, but a little. She observed Rhett. Sure enough, the man was gearing up to throw his own life away and risk everyone else's. Her hands tightened a bit on her crossbow, cradling it in her arms in a way that would make it easy to aim and fire quickly. He couldn't be allowed to jeopardize everything they had worked for.

"The book stays where it is. Near the fire." Sskath paused before addressing the boy. Was the lad too young to appreciate her charms?

"Oliver. The little dragon likes you. Would you ask her if we can trust Zaldara to honor her end of the bargain, please?"

OOC

Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
The small pseudodragon did not resist as Oliver took it in his hands. The tiny dragon curled up and buried her snout beneath her tiny wing, looking forlornly up at the boy as he walked the creature back to the group. Rhett asked Kayle for the book, but for now, she made no move to respond, thus the phylactery remained in the priestess' hands near the bonfire. With a trembling voice, the pseudodragon responded to Oliver as he asked her name. "Aye lad, that is my name, may it long be cursed. I don't know how to ask for your forgiveness, but my bonds force my obedience to she who once was my mistress."

"We are now bound, you and I. You hold my soul and my heart. And your young friend, whose life you clearly value, is now bound by a powerful geas. Should you not bring me the phylactery, he will die a most excruciating death." She lets the words sink in the silence. From the look of horror upon Oliver's face, the boy is certainly feeling something. "Elonast's life is bound by the same geas. If I do not answer your questions, she will suffer the same fate." The pseudodragon whimpered, but did raise her head when Sskath directed Oliver to ask if the lich could be trusted.

"Can Zaldara be trusted? The Zaldara I once loved certainly could. But that was before she became sick with the Thirst. Magic became her only true love. Now? Can she be trusted now? Normally I would say no. I have seen her betray many upon her long, lonely walk to power. But it could be said that she never betrayed me. She told me of her plans. Begged for me to walk down that dark path with her. When I refused, she accepted it. When I tried to foil her plans, she locked me away. But I believe still does bear some sort of care for me. I believe that is true. SHe comes to me each day begging me to change my mind so she might free me, but I refuse. Sadly, the geas she warns of is also true. The boy and I became bound by it the moment we touched. I was ordered not to speak of any of this until she asked me to do so. The power of the chain about my neck forces my obedience or I would have warned you. Again, I am so sorry!" Tiny tears spilled from her rainbow coloured eyes. "The question is, can you trust her at this moment. I do not believe she would harm me. Breaking the geas upon me would certainly spell my death, so I believe she has obliged herself to answer you honestly. I can also tell you that she is genuinely scared. This may be another reason to trust..."

"That is quite enough Elonast. You will be silent until I ask you to speak again" interrupted Zaldara. Her eyes had been scanning the group,
Dice Zaldara's Insight Check vs Rhett's Passive Stealth/Sleight of Hand/Deception DC14:
1d20+9 (1)+9 Total = 10
observing each you deeply as the pseudodragon responded. "Now you have your answer, bring me the book! I have been patient. I offer you every chance to get what you came for but trifle with me no longer! A Yuan Ti Word Vreal Olo, bring me the book and then ask your questions." The lich did not seem to have noticed anything untoward happening.

Last edited by jbear; Oct 3rd, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 04:49 PM
Peace was never an option

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 31568
Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner Avner
Korr
right-aligned image

Korr growled at learning Oliver's fate. "Why the boy... you should trapped Korr. Boy don't deserve Lich tricks!" he called out in frustration reaching for his axe and then putting it down once again realizing he was helpless. Korr began to pace around the back fo the group unsure of what to do he knew little about magic and didn't trust it. Finally he stopped and looked at Sskath. "Do what she says. We need Oliver back and she might give us truth."

Korr Shalpag