RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: N-R > Origin > Guardians of the North
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Windrunner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6854
Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy Scimmy
When Khole communicates with his mind it comes in waves. The thoughts and feelings wash over you, sometimes overwhelming in their intensity but always quick to fade and always clearly from outside. As he and Mitah embrace you feel another wave, this time of joy and fondness. It feels like an echo, something most of you have come to associate with mental spill over when something either is unintentional or directed at someone else. But beneath those feelings is something new. At first it makes you think of the sound of distant drums, but as it comes fully to your awareness you realize it isn't a sound, or at least not just a sound. It's a steady pressure that almost makes you want to strike out and seize victory. Its a mix of hope, determination, and surprisingly a dash of anger, and although it mutes somewhat as Khole and Mitah separate, it is very much still there.

Khole looks to Nolia and feels a swell of pride that he was able to help steady her. It's obvious she still isn't comfortable, but she isn't darting around like a wild animal, though the wildness is still there. He smiles as his eyes seek out Winter, finding her leaning against Aira. He takes two calm and confident steps toward her when he feel something like worms writhing against his skin. The winds stir and Khole turns with the others to see the writhing of seemingly dead plants. His grip tightens on his bow and he watches with intensity, the thrum of his hope and dedication continuing but now laced with more anger at this moment being spoiled. They move, and at first it could be just the wind but they soon thrash and whip violently until they split like rotten fruit and from the heart crawl monsters. Khole's bow creaks in his small hand and two steps, each one larger than the last, announce Mitah arming for battle. He looks over to Nolia, no doubt more deeply affected by this display, and sends her a feeling of comfort and justice. For the sisters of the forest. He sends it to her, but all can hear him.

Khole surprisingly slides his bow across his back and doesn't reach for the sword or shield he carries. light flickers around him, energy playing over him in flashes of faerie fire. It's reminiscent of the sparks of a novice fire starter, and though Khole seems to do nothing, the sparking energy flickers faster. Standing tall, hands in fists at his waist, Khole takes a deep breath then slowly and loudly releases it, sliding his right foot back and extending his hands in front of him, relaxing his entire body as he does so. When his motion ceases, the energy that had been teasing around him flares into a full bonfire, white energy burning in an aura around him. Khole smiles once more but this time it's predatory.

He strikes his hand forward, turning his body with the movement and he seems to fade slightly before your eyes. His hand grasps seemingly at the empty air, yet somehow closes on a beam of pale light. Light as a dancer, Khole whips the light around above his head, it coalesces into a ribbon of light that dances with every twitch of Khole's hand, first trailing lightly across Mitah's chest then following the sharp downward motion of his arm and slamming into the ground in a blinding flash. Khole is no longer standing among his friends, he is among the creatures, one hand twirls the ribbon of light keeping it in constant motion around Khole while the other reaches out and lightly caresses one of the creatures. It strikes out at Khole but he flickers in and out of existence appearing by a second one and stroking it lightly as well before flickering a third time for the last creature. Each time he touches one the spot glows with a pulsing white light, spiderweb-like filaments growing over each of the creatures in turn. Kholes dance finishes in front of the middle creature with the ribbon of light twirled all about him and they are poised to strike, but everyone hears an almost child-like giggle as he flicks his wrist straight up and the ribbon of light tightens in around him and he flashes out of existence again. Appearing between the group and the creatures, but slightly off to the side. Khole snaps his still upraised fingers and the growing light on each creature detonates.

Mitah, wielding a massive earthbreaker of light charges forward, his movements incredibly quick. As the light of the explosion fades, he raises the hammer high and slams it down on the first creature, For the Sisters! His voice is deeper than normal and rumbles in your chest like the blow of his weapon rumbles the earth. He twists his shoulders, raising the hammer and bringing it down on the second one, For Valejo! He jerks the hammer up one more time, his foot slamming into place and he is poised to strike. For the World! And Mitah brings the hammer down with such force nothing remains of the final creature but goo. Mitah stands, leaving his weapon buried in the earth but it quickly starts to dissolve. In your minds you feel a cheer from Khole, as Mitah starts to shrink once more and his armor begins to fade away.

Khole moves purposefully toward Winter. He walks up to her and hesitates only a moment before grabbing her hand and fluttering his wings to be at eye level with her. Forgive my...distance. The feeling of turmoil and confusion lightly comes from Khole. Much has...trans....pired that has been...overwhelming. A quick series of images flicker by of the things they have faced recently accompanied by a feeling of embarrassment. Much of this is new...for me. But I am...trying. that thrum of hope and dedication washes over as a wave but as it passes it's still there in the background. Can you......forgive me? Khole looks at Winter, and there is the briefest flicker of some emotion, maybe pain, or uncertainty, or worry, but there and gone too fast to identify.

Last edited by Scimmy; 08-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:24 PM
The penguins are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10247
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
While not as wild, Nolia still was on edge, alert and unsure as the group shifted and moved about her. The wave of thought, or more emotion from Khole was again oddly familiar even if from an utterly alien source, though it was the introductions of one of the others which seemed to be most alien. Words were used that she did not quite understand even as she tried to not recoil from Oota in the same moment she attempted to not question what the title of "Slave" meant. The question had started to form with furrowed brows to only be broken by Kurragaan's own, a question which brought a small keen to Nolia's lips once more and a look of utter dismay.

She had no time to answer though, the pulse of movement, the roil of something so horribly familiar and a surge of panic deep within the Dryad's chest. She had led them here! What spilled forth though were not the demon things, the tormented creatures which had slaughtered her grove, though they were of the same taint, and Nolia had not the strength to respond, dizzied by the world she had fallen in to and from the near exhaustion which threatened to consume her from the flight she had taken. No, Nolia should have responded, should have drawn her bow and let loose the arrows, but instead her voice rose into a deep keen, wild and feral.

A creature in distress, a sound familiar to most who spent any time in the wilds, and a sound which threatened to rise higher, that was until Khole and then Mitah moved. The initial coils of light and pulse of power did not catch her attention, but as Khole danced about the creatures, a battle cry, a promise made for that which she had only just shared, Nolia fell silent and slowly dropped to her knees. For Mitah to carry the call, even if the man-kind did not know of whom he spoke, but that he might so willingly offer his hand, his wrath in battle, tears began to well in her eyes once more, tears she thought she had no more to shed.

In the aftermath of the all too brief exchange of violence, her gaze followed Khole as the not-tree man-like one approached the one who felt so much like a sister, Winter, Winter was the name for the woman. An interaction there as olive toned eyes sought out Mitah, an unspoken question on her lips and then finally back to the poor troll, he whom she had sought out to offer burial only to be found alive.

Nolia's response was for the troll, but more it was for herself, for those gathered, for the whispers which still nudged at her mind when she caressed that which encircled her wrist. "They fell, Willow before, but then the others, each. Screams as they rend and maul, tear and destroy. The Dark One taunted me, taunted again and again and in the end she ordered that I flee, AdŤlťdanť, I could not deny. I saw her, I saw her rise, so close, above their claws and fangs, but he swooped once more, and took her, clutched in those talons of dark hate. Never me, never me, always the others when it should have been, and I ran on the winds, Calonfawr carried me then... He... HE took her... killed all my sisters. I have much apology Kurrhaaagan, much apology."

The words were bare whispers as she stared up at Kurrhaaagn and willed that somehow he would understand, he would know she had done all that she could and in the end had failed, that she had not been a coward, it was only when all had fallen that she had finally left her grove.

Last edited by Kapera; 08-04-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10644
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Winter Morningspire
When the insect-like creatures appeared, Khole sprung into action before Winter had a chance to react. The threat didn't appear to be dire, and their current positioning was problematic for Lena to move easily, so she held her magic back for the moment and watched.

Seeing Khole dance like this was fascinating to Winter. He seemed to have a lot of tricks up his sleeve that they hadn't seen yet, and it made her wonder what else the Guardians had to offer. She knew she was a powerful sorceress, and Lena was a force to be reckoned with, but the pair's true power lay in combining their strengths in a way they hadn't had an opportunity to do yet. The thoughts didn't last long however, as Khole and Mitah quickly dispatched the creatures.

She was surprised when Khole immediately came to her after and took her hand, and felt the jumble of emotions that was becoming all too familiar in recent days. His focus on using words to apologize didn't go unnoticed by her either, and she felt a stronger flicker of... something even as her eyes began to water. She squeezed his hand and smiled at him, then pulled him slightly away from the others. "There's nothing to forgive, you've done nothing wrong," she said quietly, aware of how many people were nearby. Now would be a great time for that new spell, but she needed a full night's sleep before she had any chance of casting that again. "I understand new and overwhelming, you know that." She looked down and gently rubbed her thumb over their still-connected hands. "I'll be patient with you and hope you'll do the same for me. I understand if you ever feel like you need time or space, that's perfectly natural." She thought about reaffirming to him that she had just been worried, that she was afraid of loss, but it didn't seem necessary. He had seen all that the night she had connected their minds, and she didn't want to make him feel guilty for the distance. Now that she understood, she wasn't as scared of losing him. Well, that much at least she felt she should tell him, so she did.

"That was some impressive work, by the way. I feel like I'm surrounded by giants, you're all so quick to react to and dispatch an enemy. I'm used to using tactics that take more time. Although, it's been a long time since Lena and I were seriously challenged, before coming back here."

Old 09-01-2018, 04:31 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6203
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
After the battle and the meeting with the troll that Nunataq called the Son of Vaprak... Kurrhaaagn was what he called himself, Oota found himself retreating inward. The troll seemed a decent being to the slave, but the fact that he was a troll was vaguely uncomfortable out here in the wild. And to be linked to Vaprak reminded him of something he often tried to avoid the mere thought of. He still tried to fulfill his duties, but he kept nearly silent for some time.

When they met the dryad, Nolia, Oota wasn't entirely sure how he should hold himself. He felt some level of guilt for his depressive state, but he knew that he had tried to do the things required of him. And he knew that a greeting was one of those thing...

"I am Oota Dabun, slave and servant to Master Hiram Dabun of House Dabun, of course." The ogrekin managed a crooked smile that somehow existed in a realm at least neighbouring that of cuteness and resumed, "I am at your service."

As if the mere act of speaking had triggered something within his mind, Oota felt his senses return to some level of sharpness. Enough to notice that MikhaŽla seemed to glance toward him in a strange way. He hoped she was alright, and did his best to dash the doubts from his head. He heard the words of the gentle giant then watched as strange insects emerged which Khole and Mitah swiftly dispatched. A voice in his soul, his own inner disdain, laughed at his lack of reaction.

But before his self-destructive thoughts could take hold, the dryad whispered her story and her apologies. The half-ogre didn't really understand, though he felt for her and for Kurrhaaagn. His beady red eyes rest on the dryad as Winter speaks her comforting phrases and he feels like there are things he should be doing or saying... but he only ends up shuffling his feet, as no answers come to him. In his mind, he silently prays to Abadar for his own wits to return.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15000
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
The gentle Troll soon gathered his wits about him and allowed himself to enjoy his reunion with the Dryad for the happy moment that it was. This did not exactly diminish the sadness in his heart but it did provoke the beginnings of the mourning that would eventually help him to heal from this ordeal. He let the rawness in his heart take him where it would but soon he found the pain smoldering and transforming into something more. He felt it stir the ire in his soul and felt more determined than ever to find Delvron and put an end to the evil in this valley once and for all. He stood tall and proud and turned towards the writhing alien plantlife that now seemed to block their way towards the valley. Kurrhaaagn scratched his head and turned towards the others.

"This plant very bad. Hurt peoples and animals. We kill? How we kill you tink?"

Leilani pulled herself away from Mikhaela for a moment and stood next to the Troll and peered at the strange foliage in the pathway. The crooked stalks seemed to have invaded the path ahead for several hundred feet and had even begun to spread down the face of the steep ravine to the river below. A tree which had long ago fallen across the wide span between the cliffs had several of the plants crawling along its length and it seemed inevitable that the foul scourge would soon cross North to the other side of the Northvalian river.

"I agree, Kurrhaaagn. We can't leave these plants here to take any errant animals or creatures who may come this way. I think fire may go some way towards dispatching this scourge. I can conjure some amount of fire and flame but the range and scope of my abilities may be too limited for this task. I can do it if I must but I will need some rest to replenish Desna's gifts before I can do it. Anyone have anything that could do the trick? Otherwise I suggest we rest and I can do this in the morning.

Last edited by LeoByron; 09-12-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Oota wished for nothing more than to remain silent, though his core initiative of serving others remained. He listened as the troll spoke, moving his beady red gaze in the direction of the alien flora. The deformed hobgoblin wished to destroy the dangers but her knew enough of his bloodline to recognize that he was like that vegetation in ways.

Such thoughts were immediately pushed away by the Bloodwatch slave. He knew that he couldn't allow himself the kinds of sentiments that might distract him from his duties. He wasn't sure how the bad plants might be dealt with, beyond the obvious thoughts of fire and chopping.

He considered mentioning that but it was the angelic woman who spoke first, "I agree, Kurrhaaagn..." As Lady Fairchilde spoke, the half-ogre turned his gaze to her as he listened. She echoed his thought that it would be unwise to leave the aberrant plants alone and she confirmed his thought that flame would likely be the best way to deal with them. She admitted that she would need rest in order to do it herself, which caused his own feelings to rise in his heart. He would serve... he needed to pull himself out of his dark thoughts and feelings.

Oota offered the noblewoman a precise bow before speaking gently with his rough voice, "If I may, Milady... I could call flame to set the plants alight myself, though my own fiery magic is somewhat directed. But it could work, if I set four points to fire." The bloodrager paused for a moment then glanced at his other companions as he tried to remember the things he had seen over the previous days. And then he remembered the first thing that he had seen the druid do. He turned then offered a similar courtly bow to Nunataq then spoke, both to him and the others, "I'm sorry, sir, if you wanted me to forget this... but I recall that Sir Nunataq conjured an impressive ball of flame, so between us we could likely take care of it."

The half-ogre slave turned his gaze back toward the vegetation, though his eyes were unfocused. The man wasn't looking at something seen, but in his mind's eye he tried to see the distance from where he stood to the valley they were striving toward. After a moment, Oota asked the question in his mind, "Sir Kurrhaaagn... how far off is our destination? I would wish to rest there, but if it is a long way, I think we could all use that rest. If we rest now, then the three of us could handle the plants. If it is close, then I do believe that two of us could do it... if that is what you all wish, at least."

Last edited by JackinIrons; 09-13-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA LittleBlueNA
Winter Morningspire
"I would prefer we not exhaust your capabilities more than necessary, Leilani," came the voice of Winter as she stepped forward. "Rest may be needed before we come to a larger conflict anyway. I can take care of this now."

She closed her eyes and began to chant, summoning a pair of lantern archons. "Hello again, friends. I need your help in translating. I'm about to summon fire elementals, and I want them to fly along the growing borders of those terrible plants, setting everything alight." Without wasting any more time, she began chanting again. This time, a pair of small fire elementals appeared in front of her, and the archons passed along her message. Everybody nearby heard the archons speaking in their native language, but the elementals appeared to understand, and if it were possible, their crackling noises sounded... excited? They took off in opposite directions, flying along the edges of the plant life and setting it on fire.

"Thank you again, I apologize for calling you so often lately. I'm grateful for your help as always," said Winter to the archons. "With what we're facing, I'm certain this won't be the last time in the coming days." She bowed her head to her summons, then just watched as the elementals had their fun.

When the summons had disappeared, Winter let out a long breath and turned to the Troll and the Dryad. "That brings me down to six more archons, although I have a fair bit of other magical reserves left if we want to press on today. How far would you say we could travel before resting wouldn't be an option?"

Old 09-19-2018, 01:35 PM
The hidden treasure

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17344
kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara kaylara
Aira RuAira had been following along with the group, still here! sorry missed last posted, thought it posted, but apparently never clicked the button.seemingly lost in her own thoughts about everything that's transpired.

Looking over at the vegetation and it's threat reaching so close to home, she huffs a puff of mist from her flaring nostrils. Stepping thru the snow up to the fallen tree stretching the ravine, she swipes with her massive strength, knocking the log down and preventing the foliage from using it to cross and hopefully buying them some more precious time.

She glances back at the others, I would imagine my cold breath would not harm it, given its existence in the frigid cold here. But there must be something feeding it. Perhaps a way to come up with an alchemical pesticide that will kill the plant? she comments, looking over at the more "knowledgeable" people who may know a thing or two about that.

Save your spells for now. Trying and slow it down here may be pointless. I think we should venture in before it spreads further and find the source of this abomination and kill it there at its core. she eye's the others wondering if they feel the same still.

Looking down to the bottom of the ravine she comments, I can fly people across if needed. she offers, since the easy way to walk across the ravine was no longer an option.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM
The penguins are coming

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10247
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Words, interactions, movement and well in truth it was all an assortment in a myriad of confused sounds along with an undertone that Nolia could feel, but unlike her sister, not quite comprehend. A completion of introductions, a weight lifted, even if only barely from her chest in the sharing of the Grove's loss, and then the flare of fire, a flash of power and with it the familiar taste of that which Nolia knew. Not her own gifting, but her sister's each had their own as well, now this Winter held a similar thing. She was not a Dryad, Nolia knew that well, but she was still, seemed still similar enough that once the immediate threat had been scorched from the earth, Nolia made her own shy approach, near hovered near the other woman.

The slight creature's hands twitched, clenched and flexed as she tilted her head to regard the dragon even as she stepped perhaps a bit too close to Winter, within what one might consider to be personal space. Never still, Nolia was at least not as flustered nor flighty as olive toned eyes fluttered about the others, the expression nigh childlike as she took in Mitah once more before a furrowed brow as her gaze slid from Oota to Winter beside her, very close beside her. "Had to rise to the high places, this is as a wall of taint that grows, but it does not spread all places. Many paces from here to where it ends, but beyond that, the land was barren of all things."

By the end of it Nolia nearly touched Winter's side as she stared up, wide eyed in search of just what it was that she seemed to instinctively sense. "To run, it would take barely a slivered span of the sun-move, but one cannot run through it without pause of the poisoned things, is why I climbed to high places, was harder, took longer, but no evil-life reached us there." Nolia was not entirely sure how to best explain any of it, time and distance were neither important nor had been focused on much thus far in her life, but from the time the man-kind had come to the Grove, she had begun to very much realize that not every living thing in the world thought and lived as the wild and untamed.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Flightless Fish

Tools
User Statistics
Winter Morningspire
Winter noticed Nolia watching her display, and when it was done, the dryad approached her. Nolia's curious, almost questioning gaze was nearly fixed upon her, occasionally flitting to others in the group, but always returning as she came closer and closer. If this were just some random person on the street, Winter felt she would be able to read her like a book, but she ended up questioning herself since she could remember practically nothing of her kind. Regardless, if she was understanding the dryad's words correctly, they were close. She smiled at Nolia, holding a hand up to the sky out at arm's length. "The way we measure time," she explained, "the sun would travel the width of my hand in an hour. It sounds like you are saying one could run, uninhibited, to our destination in less than the time than it would take the sun to move this far?" she asked, holding out a single finger this time. The dryad, standing close enough to be nearly touching, simply nodded. "Thank you," responded Winter, daring to place a hopefully comforting hand on Nolia's shoulder before turning to look around at their group. "It sounds like we're within two miles or so, as the crow flies. We could go on foot, but I fear we would waste a lot of time, energy, and resources doing so. If we could fly the rest of the way, I think that would be best. I can grant flight for a limited time, long enough for the most heavily-armored to travel nearly two miles. If that's not enough, I could refresh it, but I want to save as much magic as possible for when we land."

Winter's eyes brightened and she turned and made eye contact with Aira. "Actually, there's an easier bit of magic for me to use that may allow you to carry most of us. How many gnome-sized creatures do you think you could fly on your back?" She turned to address Leilani as well. "The same would go for you. Is there a limit to how much you can fly, and could you carry small versions of anyone with you? If that's not enough, I could enlarge Lena as well." Anyone could see the cogs turning in Winter's mind as she tried to figure out the most efficient way to get everybody into the sky. "Regardless, I think we should rest before we go. We may not get another chance for a while, and I don't want to become dead weight when we're in the thick of things."

Last edited by LittleBlueNA; 09-28-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Dungeon Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15000
LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron LeoByron
A New HopeThe Lady Winter counseled Leilani to conserve her energies and decided to take the matter of the hostile flora into her own hands. She gazed out at the blight upon this world and seemed, for a moment, to be lost in thought. She then opened herself to the natural energies that surrounded her and felt the tingling deep within herself that heralded the torrent of energies that would fuel her spell. She felt golden light seep into her veins like eldritch sap and it began to seep from her fingertips in sputters of golden sparks. She drew more of the energy from herself and called upon her familiar orb-like allies to aid her cause.

The golden orbs appeared and floated in the air before her and when she explained her desires, they bobbed gracefully in the air in acquiescence.

"It would be a pleasure to assist you, Lady Winter," said one.

"We be happy to help kill Brain Bane for you!" Said the other enthusiastically.

Their voices echoed in pleasant chimes and seemed to lighten the mood in the forest by their mere presence. When Winter once more began to call upon her magical forces to summon elemental beings of pure fire, the Archons bobbed and flitted about her and fired rays of pure light into the tangles of putrid weed. The streaks of light blazed through the brush and caused lines of devastation through the infesting foliage. Moments later, the fire creatures burst into existence and crackled and roared their greeting to the Sorceress. One of the Archons began to chirp and chitter at them and they seemed to nod before lunging into the depths of the grasping foliage. The plants seemed intent in destroying themselves as the elementals careened through them as they seemed to reach out in a futile attempt to grasp them as they passed, destroying themselves on their overwhelming flames. The Archons, seeming to enjoy themselves, proceeded to fire volley after volley of rays into the thickets of infesting Brain Bane lending what assistance they could at the outer edges of the infestation that the elementals missed as they passed through. They sang and chirped as they went and Leilani could not help but clap in enjoyment of their spectacle. Even MikhaŽla evinced the barest hint of a smile as she watched and the Guardians found themselves experiencing something which they had not tangibly felt for some time now: hope.

They felt their hearts rise with it. As much as Leilani's magic had restored some physical buoyancy to their bodies, it had done little to lift the relentless darkness that seeped into their hearts with every step in this blighted place. Now, they felt their spirits rise and felt replenished in a way that renewed their determination and gave them clear hope that they might succeed.

Some time later, the Archons and then the Elementals, vanished leaving only charred dead husks where the infestation once was. Leilani looked upon their work with her hands at her hips and gave an appreciative nod at Winter.

"Well done!"

Kurrhaaagn had also watched the display with some interest and flashed his somehow endearing toothy smile the entire time and seemed still affected after the summons returned to their place of origin. He waved his hand before his face in disgust and turned to the group.

"Bad plants smell bad!"

Leilani burst out laughing and agreed. When Aira mentioned finding the source of this blight so that it could not return, she sobered visibly and agreed.

"You are correct, Aira Ru. We must find the source and dispatch it. We must find Nolia's sister and if she yet lives, restore her to her grove. But Oota and Winter are right. We may face unspeakable horrors when we arrive. We should rest. My spells are depleted as are Winter's. We may be physically intact but we should take some time to ensure we are at full power before we venture into the grove. Nolia said it was deserted when she left but evil lingers nearby and there is no telling what unspeakable horrors we may find should we return. I suggest we rest here now that the urgency has been lessened by the finding of Nolia and make our way to the grove tomorrow."

Kurrhaaagn nodded and MikhaŽla withdrew to Leilani's side and clasped her arms around her and remained silent.

The group agreed to rest. Overhead, the perennial clouds grumbled their disapproval and purple lightning flashed ominously across the darkened skies. The thunder gave its forlorn reply a moment later and seemed to be answered from the west as more thunder groaned over the beleaguered landscape of the Northvalian forest.

It began to rain.

Last edited by LeoByron; 09-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 AM
This Guy!

Tools
User Statistics
Oota remained quiet as he waited for some assent from Lady Fairchilde, or any of the others really, but his suggestions weren't given much weight from the others. The beast tried his best to remain calm, since it was their right to ignore his words and his deeds, but there was a twinge of pain deep within - a pain that was immediately smothered like most of his feelings.. Winter was the first to speak and when she did, the sorceress also spoke to the noblewoman. Winter followed her suggestion immediately and summoned the Archons plus some Elementals, which set some of the problematic plants alight.

Aira Ru, who had been quiet for some time, also spoke. And though she didn't offer any immediate solutions, the dragon called attention to the fact that the source would have to be taken care of. Oota chanced a glance toward her and even gave the hint of a smile, though he did his best to not call attention to himself for the time being.

Though the ogre-kin didn't escape everyone's attention. He felt the gaze from the dryad, though he couldn't figure out whether she was curious or nervous. Or perhaps both. Oota couldn't help but be curious about her as well, though he did his best to keep his own reactions in line with his responsibilities. He listened to Nolia's words and ran them through his thoughts briefly, 'A wall of taint, she says... and beyond is barren. Barren like the snow, or worse? Our destination doesn't sound far, but poison is not something to ignore. Best be careful and attentive.'

Winter had also caught the fact that they were near, and suggested flight, which caught Oota off guard. He could fly some, as he had done so earlier, but the half ogre still preferred to be on his own feet when he was allowed. But it still gave the Bloodwatch something to think about as the others discussed their plans. He also gave Winter a small smile as she echoed his suggestion for rest.

Oota took a moment to look over the burned remains of the weeds and was pleased to see that the infestation could likely be dealt with. He was hopeful, though he reminded himself that things weren't done. As his gaze was there, he heard the troll's exclamation and Leilani's ensuing laughter. The Beast agreed in kind, though he didn't feel like his input was needed, so he remained quiet and waited. Lady Fairchilde spoke again, echoing the dragon's call to find the source. And then he heard his own name, which caused him to drop his gaze to the ground, somewhat bashful to have a noblewoman agree with him. He still had to get used to these people, and the way that they treated him. He also considered himself, and his earlier twinge of depression - he wasn't sure if his current lot was truly better than his work for Hiram. It surely was in ways, but hope played against the hopelessness of slavery made things hard on him.

As the call for rest was repeated, Oota gave the others a proper bow and spoke, "I will have everything ready momentarily..." His words trailed off oddly, as he did his best to hold back the urge to call them his Masters. The lightning and thunder urged the ogrekin slave to work with greater alacrity, and in less than a minute he began to set up the large pavilion tent that the citizens of Valejo had gifted them recently.

As the magical tent assembled, Oota quickly worked on gathering enough dry wood for cooking, though the rain was already beginning to fall... and he wasn't sure how Nolia would react to these actions. But for her sake, he was sure to gather only fallen material. It didn't take him long to set up the camp, and he hoped that the others would rest and allow him his work, though he didn't expect it. And at the end, he waited for the tent to finish and stood near the others and he spoke gently in his deep voice, "Madam Nolia... I hope it isn't disrespectful to start a fire for food and warmth." His smile was somewhat bashful, as he wasn't sure how to properly address a dryad much like he wasn't sure how to speak to the dragon.

Oota then looked toward the others and bowed, "We have wine and spirits to ward away the cold as well, for those who need it. And I will cook and serve you all, unless Madam Aira wishes to cook instead. Is there anything else that anyone might need...?" The ogrekin waited, though he still felt like he was being disrespectful, despite everything they had told him before. While he waited, he did his best to plan his duties for the night... whether or not he should make a patrol or where he should position himself to watch over everyone.

Last edited by JackinIrons; 09-29-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Closed Thread