twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 30th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
hedgehog hedgehog
Why do you like this or that RPG system the most ?

Recently Joining this board, i have come to realize there are quite a few game systems I have never heard of. I have also become aware of how many of us have a preference for one game system over another. so I wanted to pose the question; Why do you like YOUR favourite RPG system the most ? (assuming we all have a favourite)

What is that appeals to you the most about your favourite system ?

What makes it stand out for you ?

I reckon I might then quickly understand the appeal of some of theses systems I'm not familiar with

Hedgehog
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
My first love is and always will be AD&D (one of three versions of 1E... really the term "1E" is misleading). Why? Simple: nostalgia. Leafing through the pages of those old rulebooks and modules brings back great memories. I still occasionally play AD&D when I want my kids to experience a certain module the way it was intended (and the way I experienced it).

Now I play Pathfinder. My brother introduced me to it and I thought it was a really neat re-imagining of the game I grew up with. I never played 3E, but I probably would have felt the same if my brother had introduced me to that instead. Actually, I put D&D in my rear-view mirror for a few years after 2E came out so I missed the 3E release. Haven't gone on to 4E or 5E because I don't believe in change for change's sake and I'm perfectly happy with PF.
Old May 30th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38131
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
My two favorite systems are Shadowrun and Warhammer 40k for two main reasons massively fleshed out settings and free-form character generation and advancement.

There are well over fifty Shadowrun novels, several video games, and entire splat books dedicated to nothing but the setting/history of the sixth world. Everything just feels so alive and you want to be a part of it. Then you throw classless character generation and you can be practically anything in that rich world. Sure, some combos are more effective than others, but I've yet to find an unplayable role/race combo. Then the free-form advancement system allows you to grow with your campaign and build up your runner in a more organic way. Your base out of the box runners are also badasses. None of this first level, clear the basement of rats crap for you!

Warhammer 40k has hundreds of books, a plethora of games/comics/audio dramas, and a fairly unique take on several aspects of the Sci-Fi genre. I wasn't a fan of the early systems with their class based progression, but the latest systems are all free form. Sure, there are once again more effective combos, but I dont feel limited when the time comes to make a character. There is nothing more frustrating than having this great character that fits great with the world and then the rules either make it impossible or unplayable

They are both dark and gritty settings as well. For me, that makes victories all the sweeter. Taking the dys out of dystopia one mission at a time

Community Supporters, it's time to do your civic duty! ;)
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Use your words

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18245
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
I don't have one favourite System, I try to match them to what I want to do with a game. But it's true, a lot of them I pick because they have a certain setting or feeling that I like - as with Shadowrun, eclipse phase, the dark eye or a song of ice and fire roleplaying. Some I use but create my own setting around them - like gurps, mutants and masterminds or wod.

But I agree with Imveros on the classless character generation, all of the above have it.
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:44 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12133
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
3.5 was popular when I returned to gaming in 2004. I bought resources for that and learned to play it well enough. I'm not opposed to another system but I'm not capable of affording more resources for something new.
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 192
Llewellyn Llewellyn
Seventh Sea will always have a special place in my heart. It was one of the first systems me and my friend really got into. Plus, whats not to love about magical swashbuckling rogues?

One of my early characters had such a reputation for starting bar brawls that she gained the magically ability to summon chairs out of thin air with which to hit people. That eventually leveled up to flaming chairs before the campaign was over
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
hedgehog hedgehog
RE: Why do you like this or that RPG system

Wow ! I'm glad i posed the question.

Now there are more RPG's i have never heard of, and I need to look up.

I must admit i still have a passion for AD&D which was my first RPG i played, and likewise, it brings back good memories for me too. Getting back into RPG's, I have gone for Castle's and Crusades myself, as its a rules light system, which can adapt modules from other systems easily for the DM. Kind of focuses on role playing rather than rules.

Its fascinating to read how the strengths of some of the systems, help to create playable and interesting worlds and characters for whatever your world might be.

I'm currently looking up 13th Age to see what the appeal of that system is, with all the RPG's out there, I reckon I'll be busy for a while.
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:26 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 642
Holden Holden Holden Holden Holden Holden
Returning to RPGs after 25 years I felt very overwhelmed by all the options. In the end I figured my favorite systems were the ones that were generally available to play versus really niche systems. Based on this, I focus on Pathfinder and D&D 5e. I've had fun with both, so I'm satisfied with these game systems.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 10:54 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 591
Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate Imaginate
My first tabletop RPG was with D&D 3.5e and the Forgotten Realms setting. It's an experience that set off a set of thunderous reading summers (Salvatore and his Drizzt books), late nights exploring Faerun and all the adventure it had to offer. I saw an earlier response bring up "nostalgia", and I'd have to agree that is what it is for me too. I've recently decided to explore 5e, but coming on here for the gaming itself at all is an attempt to grasp even a fraction of what it was like gaming 10+ years ago.
Old Jun 3rd, 2018, 03:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
RedSandman RedSandman
Original D&D for the memories. Pathfinder for its scope and breadth of the world building and character development. D&D 5e for how well WotC have streamlined and simplified play and also I have managed to get all the Core Rule Books
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 06:59 AM
S. John Ross

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Ghalev Ghalev Ghalev Ghalev
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Recently Joining this board, i have come to realize there are quite a few game systems I have never heard of. I have also become aware of how many of us have a preference for one game system over another. so I wanted to pose the question; Why do you like YOUR favourite RPG system the most ? (assuming we all have a favourite)

What is that appeals to you the most about your favourite system ?

What makes it stand out for you ?
In general, I'm drawn to higher elements of design (settings, styles, ranges of adventure types, ranges of character types, etc) and don't consider system very important in the grand scheme of things.

And, some systems are designed around the understanding that systems aren't very important in the grand scheme of things, and those systems tend to be ideal for gamers like myself =)

It's like, I have strong opinions on what makes a good burger, but very few opinions on what makes a good plate on which to serve a burger. I'd only notice the plate if it made it more difficult to eat the burger, or if it tainted the burger in some way, or if it were loudly overdecorated. Systems are, for me, the plate. Settings, characters and adventures form the meal.

So, my favorite system (excluding my own homebrews) is probably Chaosium's classic BRP system (the basis for the classic editions of RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu and others). BRP is simple, straightforward, transparent, flexible, and clearly designed around its own humble role in the grand scheme. It's a plain, undecorated dinner plate. It doesn't want your attention. It's just a clean place to put some food.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 72328
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
I'll mimic the others that have mentioned resources, because that is important to me now. Pathfinder with so much online and free continues to be my game of choice, because of the low barrier to entry, additional material, etc.. Free is hard to beat.

Secondly, it's the system I am most familiar with, that still has a good cadre of gamers keeping it active. I own the resources to game in earlier editions of DnD (from basic to 3.5), but the older I get (and they get) the harder it is to find active games, and to switch between rule sets.

So, I'll probably be pathfinder exclusively as I go into 2019, 2020 and beyond.
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Haroog!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20667
ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove ruffdove
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
So, I'll probably be pathfinder exclusively as I go into 2019, 2020 and beyond.
Do you see yourself adopting 2.0?
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6221
Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald Karhald
While I run a 5e game, and am active as a player in 5e games, my favorite system is not well-known. Most people haven't heard of it, and that saddens me, as it is a fantastic system worthy of players.

Earthdawn, by FASA games.

This game has a different feel to it than D&D, one that is difficult to explain, but once you've sat a session with a good GM, you'll understand how the game lends itself so well to grim-dark settings, political intrigue settings, high-combat and even non-combat campaigns. It's deadlier than what D&D has become, with character death being effectively final, though there are some trinkets you can employ for that one last chance. While most of what makes the Earthdawn setting is story-based, and easily ported over to a different system, what I love about it is the mechanics.

It's crunchier than 5e, less crunchy than Especially 3.x/PF at higher levels, super crunchy with all the different flavors of bonuses3.x/PF, and about the same chewy goodness as 2e, but one die doesn't rule supreme, there is a small chart that you need to reference, which sounds horrible at first, it's not that bad in practice (look at my sig) and depending on situational modifiers (the crunch) you could find yourself rolling entirely different dice for a roll that you normally make all the time. There are no critical hits, but the dice can explode, so you may find yourself rolling a massive result on a single d6, or failing drastically on a roll with a d20+2d6. Character advancement is the budgeted expense of XP.Legend points, similar to White Wolf systems, where you can focus on one part of a character, or work towards advancement into the next levelCircle of their Character ClassDiscipline. Wounds cause your character to become less effective until they heal, recovery takes a while, healing magic is limited, and the big bad monsters, called Horrors, are extremely powerful.

If you are a fan of Shadowrun, you are familiar with the return of magic to Earth, starting what's called the 6th age. Earthdawn is set about 16000 year in the past, at the start of the 4th age, when Magic was at a peak. There are the familiar Trolls and Orks, rpg tropes like elves and dwarves, as well as genderless rock peopleobsidimen and fairies, but mortalwindlings. And of course, one cannot forget about the swashbuckling lizardfolk with tongues as sharp as their blades, they're SASSY!T'skrang.

If you are interested in learning more about the system, I could try and write up a NPSG style solo tutorial one-shot that teaches about the system and guide a few folks through it. Though that kind of task might have to wait, as I am extremely busy with RL for the next year.
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 11:01 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
I play 3.5E mostly and some pathfinder; I got seriously into D&D and 3.5E in the heyday of the WoTC char-op forums and seriously spent 3-5 hours a day most days reading, thinking about, and writing material. I still have some old dead char-op guides kicking around, and I still know a ridiculous amount about 3.5E, remembering lots of odd details and generating complex characters swiftly.

I've learned and played around with briefly another 15 systems or so; I had a group that was doing brief explorations of various systems; 1-3 session games of different systems for a year. They all have their pro's and con's, but it's hard not to love something that was such a passionate part of my youth.

I'm also a huge fan of Bear World. You'll have to google it.

Last edited by CE2JRH; Oct 2nd, 2018 at 11:02 PM.