RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons 5e > The Siege of Aänor's Reach > Chapter One: The Last Haven
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-13-2019
RPXP: 3175
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,586
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
n the pitch black that now surrounds him, Bothvar can hear the whispers and soft voices of his companions as they reveal that the mosaic is now open. Opened by darkness.... Bothvar thinks with a shake of his head, amazed. Such wonders and evils all wrapped in one, magic is.

Difficult as it is to move in the dark, Bothvar tries his best, slowly moving his feet just slightly over the ground, feeling with the edges of his foot for any obstruction he might come across. When he finds one, he holds his position and moves his foot around until he can find a way around it and then he slowly
Dice D20 roll if needed for any reason:
1d20 14
continues to slink back towards the voices by the mosaic. Knowing full well that it would not do much good due to his lack of sight, the feeling of the bow and arrow in his hand comforts him and he keeps the arrow nocked but the string relaxed, just in case another foe should find their way downstairs.

 
 
__________________
Leaving RPGX for now due to health issues - one of the best PBP sites out there!

Last edited by Grouchy; 11-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.
  #92  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-26-2019
RPXP: 7044
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,848
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


xcitement banished dread as the group conquered the puzzle. She'd seen the path in the end, despite (or maybe because of?) the mounting danger, and they had a route through. She listened to Trust in the darkness, careful not to react to his words. Dibo's voice picked up, and two worries crowded to the front of her mind, heedless of their triumph. Would a psuedonym work to dissuade Saya the Red, or would acknowlding a person she could not see only deepen her suspicions? And how would Trust, able to still see the mosaic so clearly in the dark, pass through it? Still, she nodded at Dibo's request, then felt silly for doing it. No one could see the movement, save Trust. Hopefully, anyway, she thought, suddenly keenly aware of the darkness all around.

"Very well," Calleigh said, finding her voice and forcing it out in a whisper. Solgar declaring he would go first and alone, however, did not sit well with her. He would need her magic if things went wrong beyond the wall; his sword would do him no good without his vision. "I will follow after you, Solgar," she said, surprising herself with the vehemence of her words. None of her companions would be lost due to lack of action on her part. She hesitated a moment, realizing that she'd pictured Trust as one of that number. She turned her head, near to where Trust had been, then forced her gaze back into the abyss beyond the mosaic. "I wonder if it is the darkness itself that grants passage, or simply our inability to see the mosaic?" Perhaps simply closing his eyes would allow him past? In either case, she waited for Solgar to step past in the dark, then directed the Servant forward before finally following herself.

 
 
  #93  
Old 11-16-2018, 05:31 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,923
The Siege of Aänor's Reach (Aänor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image





obert?" says Dibo in the dark. "Can you lead us through the portal? Or will I need to lead you through with your eyes closed? Either way it is dangerous."

"If it's all the same, I would like to walk through first," says Solgar from somewhere nearby. "I will call to you from the other side. Listen for my voice."

"Calleigh," Dibo whispers. "If Robert can't move through, can you and Solgar go through first? As soon as you're through, you could use your light spell again. We have to be careful for further traps or enemies."

"With closed eyes and reaching hands, I have passed through already," Trust replies, unseen in the darkness. "I will step through, before Calleigh and after Solgar, for your plan is wisdom in all ways, save one. Ware the scryer, Dibo. You must speak of Robert, but never to him, and only when you must."

A grip, firm and burning hot, takes Solgar and Calleigh by their shoulders. "When I let go my hand, count five, and walk five steps forward," says Trust.

Bothvar backpedals until he stands beside the source of Dibo's voice, not daring to lower his weapon even in the dark. If another M'Sion comes down the stairs, Bothvar knows, his ears can find a target almost as well as his eyes. The raggedy man is no stranger to killing by night, but he does not relish the thought of a sightless battle with dozens of M'Sion in this dank pit beneath a crumbling house.

Trust releases Solgar's shoulder. Solgar counts five, levels his weapon and walks through the mosaic. The monk of the mountaintop shivers as cold tile, somehow present and yet not there, scrapes his warm skin, and then the thunder of whitewater, rushing and slapping, is assaulting his ears. The damp air, fresh and thick in his lungs, carries the organic scents of clay, fish, and mushroom. Solgar's eyes remain sightless in the dark, but his other senses assure him of the nearby waterfall and underground river. The watery uproar is familiar, too. Solgar recalls how they had overheard a river, flowing somewhere off to the west, as they had entered the house on the east side.

Solgar turns to face the mosaic and understands why the tiled wall is a magical barrier to noise as well as to physical passage. Unless the sound is kept out, anyone in the cellar, or perhaps in the entire house, would hear the river behind the wall, and instantly know what secret the mosaic is hiding. Solgar realizes that his plan to whisper back to his friends had gone wrong at the very instant he had stepped through into this hidden chamber. Even without the magical wall of silence, Solgar knew, he would have to raise his voice, calling directly into an ear, to be heard above the din.

Bhodhiji enters Solgar's thoughts. What would a reincarnated monk be doing in a place like this? Solgar wonders. A crossroads of fate is drawing near. Success and disaster. Hope and despair. Friends, old and new, and enemies. They encircle Solgar in the dark, floating just out of reach, invisible and silent, but as real as his own thoughts. It's the Revelation Stone, Solgar realizes. It's telling me that something important is about to happen, for good or ill, with much depending on what we do next.



Trust's blazing-hot fingers let go of Calleigh's shoulder. The inelegant scraping of a boot heel tells the halfling wizard that Trust has followed after Solgar. Trust never could move silently, she thinks, allowing herself a wry smile in the dark. Not even into a wall of silence.

Calleigh counts to five and takes five steps forward. The magical tiles slip over her body in a sealed line, like passing through the cold skin of a giant bubble. The magic is so potent, yet unfamiliar in her studies, suggesting to Calleigh an ancient and forgotten origin.

The mosaic could be older than the house, Calleigh thinks to herself. Maybe much older. But how could-- The tumbling roar of falling water breaks Calleigh's train of thought. What have we stepped into? she wonders, amazed that the thin membrane of magic could silence such a deafening blast.

Calleigh jumps at the unexpected contact of Trust's blazing hot fingers placing her hand in Solgar's, helping each locate the other in the dark, as the tiefling shouts to both of them from close by.

"A torch from yonder this way comes," says Trust. "In a moment, the light shall fall upon the mosaic, and then, saith a script on the wall, our friends cannot come through. I go to extinguish the flame, or keep it at bay, until we all stand together, on this side."

Calleigh and Solgar realize that Trust is right. As the tiefling captain finishes speaking, a dim light creeps into view, some 80 feet in the distance, throwing long shadows across the crags and pebbles of a natural stone cavern. If the advancing light gets much closer, the mosaic will be visible within seconds.

"Worthy always of my name," shouts Trust. The heated fingers leave Solgar and Calleigh's joined hands. The monk and the wizard catch a fleeting glimpse of a horned silhouette in the encroaching gloom, crouched low and carrying a great shield, before it slips out of sight. Solgar and Calleigh reach out, but find an empty space were Trust had stood beside them a moment ago. The tiefling is gone.

DM InstructionsYou are all in total darkness and blinded. Attacks on you have advantage. Your attacks on others have disadvantage. You automatically fail any ability check which requires sight. The 'spark' of visible area around you on the map is only there so you can see your tokens.

Dibo and Bothvar: You are on the east side of the mosaic, and cannot see or hear anything that happens on the west side.

Solgar and Calleigh: You are on the west side of the Mosaic, and cannot see or hear anything that happens on the east side. The surfaces underfoot are loose and rocky, and count as difficult terrain. The sound of rushing water is so loud that verbal communication is only automatic in adjacent squares. A shout will carry farther, but for every square between shouter and listener, the Perception DC to properly discern the words increases by 2, to a maximum of DC 40 at 20 squares. At 21 or more squares, it takes a DC 25 Perception check to hear that someone from over 100 feet away is shouting, but you cannot understand what was said. (This assumes non-magical shouting.) The partially visible token marks the last spot where you saw the silhouette (presumably Trust) moving away in the dark.

D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, the House of Sergato de Black
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Aänor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics
  #94  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:16 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-25-2019
RPXP: 2852
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,450
Pray for a Safe Place
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
othvar? Bothvar. Good. Glad you’re here." said Dibo with a small note of fear.

'That most elemental of fears; that of the dark has given me a little panic. But calm Dibo, soon we’ll be on the other side of the mosaic, safe… for now… from those abominations upstairs and close to locating our Captain. Breath. Move.'

"Come on Bothvar let’s walk through. It’s just here…"
The halfling made to follow the others through.

He made a quick mental note to talk about Robert and not to him directly. It was a challenging mind puzzle to remember and it felt most impolite… but he’d learn. 'That was his strong point wasn’t it? Learning. Yes. And it was important. Trust and their own lives might depend on it.'

 
 
__________________
  #95  
Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-13-2019
RPXP: 3175
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,586
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
aving trusted his halfling companion in many a row since their initial meeting, Bothvar begins moving with the sound of Dibo's voice as he reflects on how far he has come. Before, the men he used to associate with were murderers, rapists, thieves, and drunkards. Men of ill temper and vice, greedy and self-serving, with only gold and good times as their main motivations in life. Some would slit a man's throat just for a handful of coppers if they had to, and some had. Yet here he was now - clergymen and wizards consider him one of their own. Even the usual doubt that crept into him when he thought such things seemed a smaller voice in comparison. It is true, he mulls, that the darkness does enhance all your senses when your sight is gone.

Moving his feet backwards lightly, hovering just over the ground so he does not trip, he stays right behind Dibo, moving to enter the mysterious mosaic portal with the others.

 
 
__________________
Leaving RPGX for now due to health issues - one of the best PBP sites out there!
  #96  
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-26-2019
RPXP: 7044
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,848
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


heir pass through the mosaic was an unusual experience, and it cemented in Calleigh's mind a thought that had been growing since they'd uncovered the puzzle. It just didn't fit with the rest of that den of traps. This was magic, strange and powerful, certainly older than the rest of the building. As they emerged, still cloaked in darkness, to the cacoponhous sound of an underground waterway it put things into perspective. This would have been a terribly useful discovery for any smuggler...hopefully Captain Finnsinger had taken advantage of it.

Trust left them moments later, his words sparking an idea. There were others down here, hopefully the smugglers rather than more M'Sion, but if light on this side of the passage could block it just as easily as the other, perhaps they'd be able to lock the passage behind them. The M'Sion would be left with a room and a corpse...and no way across. When Dibo and Bothvar made their way through, they'd have to try it. "Solgar," Calleigh began, straining to make herself heard over the falling water. "We'll try to lock this behind us, if we can. We just need Dibo and Bothvar on this side." Hopefully the pair was following after them. The magical silence would make it impossible to get a message through, even with her own spell.

 
 
  #97  
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-26-2019
RPXP: 34161
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,621
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
t had been years since the monks of the mountain had enforced shaving. Their order required all initiates to shave their heads and faces, leaving a only long tail growing from the tops of their scalps. But Solgar bristled at the shaving ritual, and as a young man, it was his first real effort of defiance. The first of many. For several years, he alone walked the monastery with a beard and hair flowing down to his shoulders, a shaggy giant, while the other monks cleaved to a more pious, regimented look.

Walking through the mosaic, feeling the sharpness on his skin, reminded Solgar of his disobedience, and the darkness on the other side was the the emptiness of his little room, down in the lower levels of the monastery, dripping water and giving him no light even at midafter.

It's the sound of the river that calms him. "Water," he breathes. "I knew I heard it." Behind him he hears a sudden intake of breath and instinctively knows Calleigh is behind him. That was well, for it meant she was safe with him. At that moment thoughts of Bodhiji flood his mind, like the unseen waterfall nearby flowing into hidden depths. In a fit of emotion the monk turns to the halfling saying, "Calleigh, the stone led us to this place. We must be close!"

But close to what? Fate? Solgar had no idea what he was saying. How can one fathom the mysteries of the holy immortal ones?

It's then that Trust, newly entered, spots the light coming toward them and alerts them to the magical limits of the spell governing the mosaic. Apparently it worked both ways -- something the barbarian would have never considered.

Trust breaks into a run in one direction, and Calleigh is talking about locking the door once their friends are safe. "Yes Lady," he says, giving her small hand a squeeze as he tries to track Trust's footsteps with his ears. Something was bound to happen, and he wasn't sure he wanted to leave the Tiefling alone. He tells her, "Stay here, I must know the source of the light!" What he didn't say, was that he couldn't bear in that moment letting Trust run ahead into the darkness unwatched. Why? There was something important in the balance. He knew it in his bones, and while he loathed himself for leaving Calleigh, he had to know what it was.

Struggling blindly over the slippery rocks he chases after the Tiefling, unable to resist an unnamed urge to know and perhaps even protect the distant light source.
 
 
  #98  
Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,923
The Siege of Aänor's Reach (Aänor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image




ome on Bothvar let’s walk through. It’s just here..."

The halfling follows the others through the mosaic, using the momentary isolation of darkness to contemplate his situation. They have slipped behind the advancing M'Sion army, if that is the right word for a fighting force like this, and, by skill and luck, they have witnessed much, although no living M'Sion has set eyes upon them.

It occurs to Dibo that, for all the remaining mysteries, he has learned a great deal about these strange invaders, perhaps more than any other scholar. And Trust--Robert--could be a treasure trove of knowledge too, with proper handling.

We may be the only people capable of stopping these M'Sion, Dibo thinks to himself, stepping through the barrier, which means our lives may be the most valuable in the Southland.

Bothvar, walking backwards with care not to trip, joins Dibo, moving to follow the others into the mysterious portal. He is shocked at the clamor of another M'Sion raider tumbling down the stairs, followed by the footfalls of dozens of pursuers. Their luck has run out. Quick as lightning, Bothvar leaps through the wall and joins Dibo and the others in the watery uproar of the hidden cavern beyond.

Did they see us? Bothvar wonders, his heart pounding. The raggedy bandit weighs the evidence of his ears and decides that whomever had fallen down the stairs had not yet reached the bottom when he vanished into the mosaic. The creatures on the stairs, even the ones who see in the dark, would have no way of knowing, unless they could see through walls too.

Calleigh ponders the magic she has seen. If Trust, and her suspicions, are correct, a light shone on this side would seal off the mosaic portal like a barred gate. "Solgar," Calleigh shouts over the falling water. "We'll try to lock this behind us, if we can. We just need Dibo and Bothvar on this side." But if Solgar understands, he makes no reply. He has gone after Trust.

A sudden stirring of the air on her left and right tells the halfling wizard that Dibo and Bothvar have stepped through in great haste. It's time to lock the door behind them, if she can, and see where they are. Calleigh chants a spell, stoops down, and, with a little gesture, taps a pebble resting against her foot. Suddenly the little rock is shining like a summer day. As expected, the halfling scholar and the disheveled human stand beside her, but Solgar is beyond the new light already, chasing after Trust in the direction of the old light as it draws closer.

Now, at last, they can see what lies beyond the mosaic. The four adventurers stand in a stone cavern strewn with corpses in various stages of dismemberment and decay. Most of the human and demihuman remains are little more than skeletons or beds of cracked bones, but several are mummified bodies, thick with mushrooms and mildew. Perforations in one of the fresher-looking corpses bring to mind the spiked traps in the murderous dwelling they had just escaped from.

It's a secret tomb for the victims of the house, thinks Bothvar. The unwary curious end up down here and are never seen again.

A message is written on the cavern wall in old pigment or dried blood. The faded Elvish characters are foreign to Bothvar and Calleigh, but Dibo understands every word, and even recognizes the ancient Drow calligraphy, which has gone unused, at least outside of scholarly research, for over 2,000 years.

S i g h t . m a y n ' t . s e n s e
W h a t . d a r k n e s s . k n o w s
A l l . l i g h t . y e . q u e n c h
N i g h t . e y e s . y e . c l o s e
S i d e s . n e a r . a n d . h e n c e
O r . t h r o u g h . n o n e . g o e s



Solgar tries to track Trust's footsteps with his ears, but quickly realizes that he does not have to. The advancing illumination creeps around the corner and falls upon Trust, who has taken the center of the rocky passageway, holding his shield and his birdcage of mice. Trust speaks, his voice commanding, as though he has been waiting for the precise moment when he would stand revealed in the light. Solgar can only make out some of his words.

"- -eg, -ault! - -ean y-- no har-!" says Trust. "- wou-- spea- w--- you -n -eace!"

Two human krackeneers, an elf, and a halfling round the corner of the cave. The elf is carrying two newborn babies on her hip in a makeshift sling. The halfling is holding up the source of the light: a little bracelet. The krakeneers, crying out in such alarm that Solgar understands every word, shoot Trust with their crossbows as Solgar rushes up beside him.

"A tiefling! Oh, my gods!"

"Get back you devil!"

"Protect the queen!"

Thwamp-p! P-whamp!

Trust's body jerks left and then right. Chainmail, Solgar notes glumly, was never very effective against crossbows. The tiefling staggers, turning in profile to reveal two bolts lodged in his midsection, and drops to one knee, leaning on his shield. The shipwrecked captain releases his grip on the birdcage and places his hand on the hilt of his sword, but the devil-man does not draw the weapon.

Trust lifts his eyes, blazing like hot coals, to meet Solgar's. Not a word is spoken, but the monk of the Bitternorth understands him very well. Trust is keeping his promise. Even now, the tiefling is restraining himself, suffering insult and injury, to buy his friends more time.

The krackeneers are shouting and reloading as the elf and the halfling back away, readying weapons. Trust turns to face them, rising, fangs bared, snarling like an animal, his patience already gone. Solgar realizes that he needs to do something quickly to stop these newcomers from getting killed.

DM InstructionsSolgar is in total darkness. The 'spark' of visible area around you on the map is only there so you can see your token.

The surfaces underfoot are loose and rocky and count as difficult terrain. The bones, of course, are not to scale.

The sound of rushing water is so loud that verbal communication is only automatic in adjacent squares. A shout will carry farther, but for every square between shouter and listener, the Perception DC to properly discern the words increases by 2, to a maximum of DC 40 at 20 squares. At 21 or more squares, it takes a DC 25 Perception check to hear that someone from over 100 feet away is shouting, but you cannot understand what was said. (This assumes non-magical shouting.)

D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, a secret underground cavern
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Aänor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 11-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.
  #99  
Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is online now
Some Believe in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-27-2019
RPXP: 1108
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Posts: 643
Evelyn Saltspring
left-aligned image
right-aligned image



velyn Saltspring squinted as light bloomed ahead of her in the cavern. Ahead of her, the two Krackeneers slackened their pace, perhaps out of caution. Between them, Evelyn could make out at least two figures silhouetted against the light. One looked vaguely human, but the other- horns? She cursed in Elvish, wiping water from her brow with the back of her glove. The thundering of the water drowned out the ring of steel as Evelyn drew her sword.

A cacaphony of shouts erupted, and the two Krackeneers fired their crossbows. What looked like a human man arrived beside the wounded tiefling. It was difficult to hear over the roaring water but the man didn't appear to be chanting "M'Sion". Evelyn risked a glance down at the two infants swaddled on her left side. She readjusted the positioning of her shield, hoping it would protect them.

Evelyn took a deep breath. Courage, now. If this is your end then let it be worthy of legend! She raised her sword to the salute position before settling into a combat stance. She called out to the Krackeneers. "Back, get back! Draw swords and await my command!"

The tiefling was looking at her, now, its teeth bared like a cornered animal. Evelyn drew herself up to her full height, and in her most imperious-sounding voice, shouted: "In the name of the Queen of Hollis, begone, devil! Trouble us no more and be on your way!"

Every one of her muscles felt taut and tense as the water roared on, heedless.





 
 

Last edited by Astra; 11-22-2018 at 11:46 AM.
  #100  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-13-2019
RPXP: 3175
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,586
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
othvar's stomach roils as he slips through the mosaic, convinced that the M'Sion has detected them all due to him and him alone. His heart is pounding so loudly he is surprised Dibo does not hear it, as close as they are. His ring burns as if it were on fire, and his nostrils itch something fierce. His nerves are getting to him, and he knows what that means.

"They found it again!" he says quickly to Calleigh, attempting to make himself heard over the roar of the water, and mentally says a prayer of thanks to her when the light shines and the door appears solid once again. The light, however, reveals another concern. Bodies lie everywhere, some very old but some appear a bit more recently, and the multiple wounds in the pattern of the spikes above clicks right away when Bothvar spies it. As he looks around this secret tomb, he spies strange looking words on the wall - unlike anything he has ever seen. The water is so loud it seems almost deafening. And then he realizes that two of their companions are missing.

"Calleigh, where is Solgar? Where's Cap... err... Robert?" His gravelly voice is hard to project when he yells, as soft spoken as Bothvar is, so his face is beginning to redden slightly at the effort of speaking over the rushing water.

 
 
__________________
Leaving RPGX for now due to health issues - one of the best PBP sites out there!

Last edited by Grouchy; 11-22-2018 at 09:52 AM.
  #101  
Old 11-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-26-2019
RPXP: 7044
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,848
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


olgar slipped forward after Trust, and Calleigh tightened the grip on her staff as she was left alone in the dark. Her fear wasn't for herself, but for her friends; Solgar and Trust went alone to face who knew what dangers, and Dibo and Bothvar remained behind to face the M'Sion. For a few moments she was left there, agonizing, all other sounds drowned out by the roar of water. Just as the need to move, to do something reached a boiling point she felt movement from either side. Calleigh heaved a sigh of relief, then bent down to grab a rock from the ground. She imbued it with magical light, revealing Dibo and Bothvar to both be safe and sound.

Her eyes took in the corpses, but she forcibly sent her attention to the wall instead. Solid. A small message in an unfamiliar language as well, but solid. They would be safe from the M'Sion, at least for now. Her eyes fell then to the bodies, which banished a bit more of the tension. If this was used to hide bodies perhaps they'd put the traps behind them. Calleigh looked back up as Bothvar approached, then her expression went grim. There were still the others down here. "He went ahead, there was another source of light here and it was decided that they would try to intercept it before it could close the way." She squinted, making out Trust and several others, including what appeared to be a halfling. Her pulse spiked again, recalling with vivid clarity the sense of dread Trust's appearance had first inspired in her. No one would react well to a tiefling, particularly not in the present circumstances. "Come, we have to hurry." She began moving forward toward the darkness, leaving the pebble behind to keep the passage closed. As she moved, she used her magic once more, holding onto hope that it might help avert disaster. With her free hand, she pointed at the possibly-halfling figure in the distance and began to whisper. "Captain Finnsinger, we've been sent to find you by Odean. Please have your party stand down, we mean you no harm."

 
 
  #102  
Old 11-24-2018, 11:32 AM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-26-2019
RPXP: 34161
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,621
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
lying light over the slick stones, Solgar dashes after Trust, his intuition telling him the tiefling should not go into the cavern alone. A heartbeat later, the frightened shouts confirm the monk's concern. He rounds a stalagmite just in time to see Trust pierced by two crossbow bolts and drop to one knee.

As the devil-man threatens to rise, Solgar knows he must act. He runs into the circle of light, bare chested, grim faced, towering and fluid. Without thinking Solgar leaps in front of Trust, planting his giant sword before him and sweeping his hand before his heart in a gesture of friendship. "Peace brothers!" shouts the tall monk. His eyes dart from the immediate threat of the krakeneers, to the elven woman who seems to be in command behind them. To her he says, "We come in peace, good woman. This man is a friend, though he may not appear so. In the name of all who resist the M'Sion, save your bolts for more deserving quarry!"

Then he looks at the halfling and quickly finishes, "My friends and I bring word for a Captain Finnsinger! Let us use words not weapons."
 
 

Last edited by mountainbound; 11-24-2018 at 11:42 AM.
  #103  
Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-25-2019
RPXP: 2852
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,450
The Only People in the Southland
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
e could be the only people in the Southland still alive. Most likely the only folk who knew so much about the invaders.' It was a sobering thought. 'The roar of the waterfall. Then… light on the pebble. Aha! There was Calleigh! But bones all about. Drow script on the wall.' he frowned. 'And more light yonder. Is that a halfling? And Trust. He's been shot!'

The assault on Dibo's senses was nearly too much and he reeled from the deafening roar, the charnel house they’d stumbled into and now more enemies! 'No not enemies they would surely be allies? But they attacked the tielfing. Why? What did he say to provoke them? No. His appearance.' Dibo had grown accustomed to the tielfing's appearance in a short time and no longer shied away from the skin, eyes, horns. In fact it was his unusual nature that lent credence to his fantastic tales; tales that held the key to the survival of all the Southlanders. And as an ambassador from another land he must be afforded all protections possible. His tale must be delivered and the information used to defeat these diabolical invaders.

"Bothvar! Calleigh! We must save Tr… Robert!" He craned his neck quickly assessing the corridor. "Bothvar. Can you carry me up there? Get me in between Robert and his assailants?"

When he came face to face with whoever it was he’d cry out, "Hold you weapons! You know not what you do! Robert is our friend! Lower your bows! Please!" He’d use his powers to ease Trust's pain and heal his wounds. The poor creature had been alone and in pain for so long Dibo’s empathy reached out to him.

 
 
__________________
  #104  
Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Grouchy Grouchy is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 01-13-2019
RPXP: 3175
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Posts: 1,586
Bothvar Kormakson
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
t Dibo's request, the raggedy man nods his head in agreement before stooping down to allow Dibo to hop on his back. Once the halfling is on his back, Bothvar moves as quickly as he can, which for the man from the Lawless Lands is faster than most men. As they approach the end of the light where Solgar's form is barely visible, Bothvar can hear him shouting for peace. His pulse quickens slightly - have they finally found the missing Captain Finnsinger? Is there still hope after all?

 
 
__________________
Leaving RPGX for now due to health issues - one of the best PBP sites out there!
  #105  
Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 PM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 05-21-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,923
The Siege of Aänor's Reach (Aänor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


olgar leaps between Trust and the next salvo, if it comes.

"Peace, brothers!" he shouts to the krackneers and then looks to the elf. "We come in peace, good woman. This man is a friend, though he may not appear so. In the name of all who resist the M'Sion, save your bolts for more deserving quarry!" Solgar looks at the halfling and quickly adds, "My friends and I bring word for a Captain Finnsinger! Let us use words not weapons."

Evelyn calls to the Krackeneers. "Get back! Draw swords and await my command!"

A tense moment follows. Evelyn is more aware than ever that she has been a Queensworth for one day and a thane for barely two heks. By the bare words of law and oath, no krackeneer is at her command, but Evelyn hopes that her reputation carries as much respect. To her relief, the krackeneers obey her. The sea-monster fighters shoulder their crossbows, draw swords, and step back.

Solgar senses Trust behind him. The devil-man, enraged at the assault upon his person, radiates malice at the newcomers like searing heat from a furnace. Trust decides now, for all of us, how this goes. Solgar thinks. If he backs down, this could work, but if he harms anyone...

Trust growls, stepping nearer to the krackeneers. He reaches toward his hip, but not for the weapons there slung. Instead, Trust seizes a crossbow bolt and yanks the projectile free from his body. A spout of dark red splashes the cavern floor. Trust, steely-eyed and scowling at his assailants, does not react to the pain, and in that moment seems less like a wounded mortal than an unfeeling monster.

"In the name of the Queen of Hollis, begone, devil!" Evelyn shouts, drawing her sword. "Trouble us no more and be on your way!"

"No trouble have you witnessed, elf, save what you wreak," Trust shouts back, glaring at the Queensworth and yanking the second bolt out of his body, spraying more red. "Be grateful that I do not repay you!"



Bothvar rushes up with Dibo on his shoulders. "Hold your weapons! You know not what you do!" Dibo calls out. "Robert is our friend! Lower your swords! Please!" Dibo gestures, speaks a spell, and Trust's bleeding stops. The devil man turns to Dibo and bows in gratitude.

The krackeneers trade glances with Finnsinger, the elf, and each other. They lower but do not sheathe their swords. Both of them watch Trust with open suspicion.

"Arms Officer Bonnon," says one krackneer. "What are your orders?"

"Crewman Yens," replies Bonnon. "If this ugly beast comes near the queen, put your sword through his heart."

Trust snarls at the insult. "No more, Southlander," he shouts. "To offend my flesh or dignity again is the last mistake you ever make!"

"Captain Finnsinger," Calleigh says quietly, calling forth the whispering magic. "We've been sent to find you by Odean. Please have your party stand down, we mean you no harm."

"Odean?" whispers Villary Finnsinger to Calleigh, through the carrier magic. The halfling steps out from behind the elf, slips between the krackeneers and stands under their swords.

"Put those away," says Captain Finnsinger, never taking her wary eyes from Trust. "If they meant to harm us, they would have done it by now!"

Finnsinger steps forward and sheathes her shortsword. "All of you, come closer," she says, holding up her brightly shining bracelet. "Stand in my light, where everyone can see, and let's talk without shouting at each other. We heard a booming voice call my name and ask for help. Was that you?"

DM InstructionsI confess that I lost track of all the Persuasion ability check results (it was a scattered week abound here) but, in helping each other for Advantage, you won enough of them to avoid or at least forestall a fight.

The surfaces underfoot are loose and rocky, and count as difficult terrain.

The sound of rushing water is so loud that verbal communication is only automatic in adjacent squares. A shout will carry farther, but for every square between shouter and listener, the Perception DC to properly discern the words increases by 2, to a maximum of DC 40 at 20 squares. At 21 or more squares, it takes a DC 25 Perception check to hear that someone from over 100 feet away is shouting, but you cannot understand what was said. (This assumes non-magical shouting.)

D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: sunny, few clouds, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Splinters logging village, the House of Sergato de Black
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Aänor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB