Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Curse of Strahd
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6353
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
OOCMoved this post to make more sense.

Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

"Where...?" Renata asked, swiveling her head around. "Gone?

"There is no baby,"
said Renata, pointing to the wrecked crib, "and no nanny. Only that haunted horror, hunting from ambush, hungry for souls to replace its own. When it grabbed me, it...I am diminished. I should rest. But not here."

Renata suddenly straightened. "The children!" she exclaimed. "Are they safe?" The paladin glanced again at the remains of the old crib. "Are they...real?"

Mechanics

Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3830
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

As the spectral nanny shrieks her wrath at the group Gareth grimaces, his hand going to his temple. The young man's breath comes in ragged gasps for a moment before he composes himself. He shoots a quick glance at Aubron and nods his thanks before he stoops down to check on Maja.

"Are you okay? What just happened there?"

The youth is obviously confused, but as Maja regains her composure Renata voices her concerns about the other children. Gareth shakes his head and addresses the warrior in a slightly exasperated tone, though he seems to make a conscious effort to rein in his snarkiness.

"I told you, something isn't right here. If the baby was a ghost or spectre or whatever the hell that was, do you think those are really living children?"

Gareth leaves the question hanging in the air as he looks about at the others, a grim smile twisting his features until he nearly resembles the ghoulish nanny the group just dispatched.

OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by OldSchool; 11-18-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8546
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag
As Gareth stooped down and checked on her, Maja opened her eyes again, apparently confused. Her face, which was clearly paler than usual, was covered by tiny droplets of sweat. The handsome girl put her hands against her temples. She gave a moan as if suffering from a racking headache. Nothing suggested that she had understood Gareth's questions.

The telepath closed her eyes once more. When she reopened them, she seemed to recognize the young man. "Darrell!" she called out only to twist her face in pain. "What happened? Why am I lying on the floor? I must have hit my head, it's aching like hell."

Her field of vision was limited and she had troubles focusing her eyes on him. "Darrell, listen! Renata needs our help and we have to bring Walter and his nanny to Rose and Thorn, the Durst children. They are waiting in the foyer."

With quite some effort, Maja sat up on her elbows so that she could take a look to left to the right. There was Renata! She wasn't looking well. But where was the baby? Maja couldn't hear any baby crying anymore. "Lady Renata!" she managed to say, "is the baby safe?"

She then heard Gareth talking something about a spectre and about children not being real, which she couldn't pin down. "What are you talking about, Darrell?" she asked him.
OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 11-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9704
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
With a blast that had never been seen before, Aubron witnessed the spectral form be torn to shreds and disappeared in the waning light. Though he did not understand the origin of the blast, he was thankful that the spectre was destroyed. But, Renata was in dire straights. The elf turned to the dark skinned woman.

"What happened, Renata? Are you ok? I heard children upstairs..in the attic behind a locked door. Can you go on?"

He looked around and saw that Maja had regained consciousness, but she was utterly drained. "Lady, can you go on? We are not safe here." Aubron felt the overwhelming need to cleanse the house and be done with it. There were mysterious behind every twist and turn, but more importantly, a prevailing evil resided in its' walls.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 11-19-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:31 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

Gareth frowns at Maja for a moment, unsure of what to make of the situation. He'd seen many a con act in his time, but right now the young woman seemed to be genuinely confused and shaken. The young man shivered slightly, wondering if the malevolence of this house was beginning to get to some of the others.

"We just saved...Renata? I guess that's her name. She was attacked by the nanny, or what used to be the nanny. Some kind of ghost or something like that. Are you sure you're okay, you were here for all of that? Anyway, the baby weren't real. So three guesses what that means for your bratty little 'uns downstairs."

Gareth cocks an eyebrow as Aubron mentions the laughter he heard in the attic and the young man can't help but think of the sinister implications.

"We can't stay here, but could be that the attic's just as dangerous. Guess there's only one way to find out. Anyone interested in heading up? Bet they've got the gold up there. Won't be needing it if they're not real."

A small smirk crosses Gareth's face before he can help it. As he waits for the others to chime in he attempts to help Maja to her feet, curious and wary about whatever it was that has shaken the girl so.

OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by OldSchool; 11-20-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:24 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag
Maja was slightly confused about Darrell's frown. He was telling her that Renata had been attacked by the nanny, which had allegedly been a ghost. Yes, there was a malevolent spirit, Maja was able to recall vaguely as some of her memories were gradually coming back. "I, I think I was here," Maja stammered. "I believe I remember an unearthly shriek and the nanny was gone. The next thing I felt were these racking headaches. Otherwise, I am okay."

Maja thought about the children she had left on the first floor and whom she had promised she would return soon when Gareth said that the baby hadn't been real and that she should guess what that meant for her bratty little'uns downstairs. Now it was Maja's time to frown at him. "Their names are Rose and Thorn and they are not my children," she replied sulkily. "They looked real, their fear seemed genuine and they were no ghosts attacking us."

The blonde girl on the floor turned her head when the high elf of the group spoke about voices of children he had heard coming out of the attic. "I'm sorry that I hold you up. I, we can go on," she said and accepted Gareth's helping hand to get back on her feet. She was still a little bit unsteady on her feet and she had a queasy feeling, but she tried to put on a brave face. Her smile couldn't hide the pain she felt, though.

She gave a shy laugh when Gareth made his jokey comment about the gold up there in the attic. Or was this comment meant in earnest? Maja wasn't so sure anymore.

"Yes, there is only one way to find out," she replied. She shivered at the thought that they might find Rose and Thorn upstairs, which would prove that they were also ghosts. Hopefully, Darrell was wrong, and the children were just what they had appeared to be, namely children.

The girl took a look around. "What about you, Lady Renata, and you, Selina? You were hit hard, weren't you? Could you follow us upstairs?"

Some parts of her hoped for them to answer in the negative so that the venture to the attic would be canceled and they wouldn't uncover more horrors in this house of evil. Her small hands were clutching at the red, heart-shaped pendant on the golden chain around her neck.
OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

Renata's only response to Maja is to adjust her grips on her weapon and shield. "Show us," she says to Aubron, but a slightly unsteady gait belies her resolve.

Mechanics

Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
Aubron surveyed the group quickly, and at Renata's response, he just smiled. "Let us go now," was all that he said as he exited the nursery.

With the others behind him, he made his way back up the stairs to the attic. Aubron motioned the others to follow, but to follow quietly. Though, at a second thought, he wondered if sneaking up on the undead was possible. "Was the house warning the other denizens?" he wondered to himself.

Tarton had cast some light for all to see, and when they were all assembled in the main room, Aubron stood at the padlocked door. "Listen," he said as he waited for the hush to overtake the group. Sounds of children playing were emanating from behind the door. He had no tools himself in order to pick the lock, but he looked on at Renata.

"Do you have the strength to break it open?" he asked her. He then took up a rear position from the door and readied his swords for whatever may lay behind. The electricity in the air was palpable. Children in the attic, and children downstairs? This all made no sense at all. As he readied himself, he spoke quickly and quietly to Darrell. "Watch our backs. I do not trust this Rose and Thorn."
OOCTook the liberty of Tarton casting the Light cantrip.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 11-21-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

Gareth joins the others as they leave behind the accursed nursery and make their way up to the attic. The young man's eyes dart around constantly, as if trying to watch everything at once, convinced that whatever awaits them beyond the locked door is just a fresh set of horrors.

As the group approaches the door and begins to plan, the light of Tarton's spell clearly illuminates a heavy padlock. Aubron and Renata discuss how best to overcome it by main strength before Aubron joins Gareth to keep a lookout for Prissy and Bratty, as the young thief has come to think of them.

Gareth nods at the wisdom of Aubron's words, but after taking a look at Renata, her face pale and hands shaking, the young man speaks quietly to the Ranger.

"Back home me pa always used to lock us out of the warehouse, so I started practicing opening locks without keys. Might be easier for me to give it a try."

Seemingly from nowhere, the young man produces a small pouch and withdraws a few slender pieces of metal. He nods at Aubron and quickly shuffles to the door, scanning the frame and the door itself before hunching over the lock and mumbling to himself.

OOC
Gareth will do what thieves do best and try to pick this lock! He'll check it and the door for traps first.

If he fails to unlock the door he'll rejoin Aubron and keep a lookout for anything that wants to eat the group.

Dice Investigation Check for traps:
1d20+4 (17)+4 Total = 21

Dice Picking the Lock:
1d20+8 (4)+8 Total = 12

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by OldSchool; 11-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17935
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
The Durst House
right-aligned image
The group moves up to the cobweb filled attic, Tarton’s magical light illuminating the way for those not blessed with the ability to see in the murky darkness. Aubron returns to the padlocked doorway where he had sworn he heard the sounds of children laughing and playing. Stepping aside, the ranger makes way for Darrell to ply his trade.

The nimble fingered thief produces a set of lock picks, worn from use, and carefully inserts them into the keyhole. Leaning close, Darrell listens for the telltale clicks of tumblers falling to guide his movements. He hears nothing but a dull scrapping and the lock refuses to open. As he leans over the stubborn lock, he too can hear the gay laughter of children frolicking in the room beyond.

OocLock pick failed.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag
Maja could only admire Renata for being so determined to root out the evil in this house despite of her bad condition after the nanny's attacks.

She knows what to do, and you, at full health, do not have the guts to follow her brave example, Maja thought resignedly to herself. Pull yourself together, Maja!

She clenched her teeth. Off you go! The girl followed the elven ranger through the haunted house towards the attic. Only now, Maja paid closer attention to the secret door, Gareth had located earlier. She stifled a cry when she became aware of the macabre carvings on the walls - tiny corpses hanging from trees and worms bursting up from the ground. "How revolting!" slipped out of her mouth. "What sicko creates scenes like these!" Tears welled in her eyes. "I, I just want to go home... please," she whispered.

The sudden thought that she would be left here on her own struck her with awe. Maja hastened to follow her comrades through the secret door into the attic. If she only could be more than precious little help for the others. The others were able to fight armor golems and ghosts, and she, she was just a cartographer in training that was not even able to recognize the geography of the land in which they had stranded.

Well, I still have the crossbow and I am able enough to injure and provoke wolves with it, the girl thought grimly. She loaded her weapon with a bolt and positioned herself in view of the locked door. She looked surprised when Darrell produced a set of lock picks and tried to unlock the door with his skill and tools. How did you come by the lock picks? Maja wanted to ask but she bit back the question. The answer why an alleged wineskin maker was in possession of thieves' tools was currently irrelevant. All that counted was that Darrell might be able to enable the group to get into the room that was behind this door.

It didn't seem to be Darrell's lucky day, though. Apparently, he was unable to open the door. Maja looked at Renata with her battleaxe. This was also a tool to open doors, but could they presume the right to destroy parts of a house, whose owners they hadn't even met yet?
OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 11-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

Renata moves to put her shoulder to the door, but her recent victimization gives her pause. "How can there be children playing up here?" she asks Aubron. "How could it be that the other children would not tell us about them?" she continues, looking at Gareth, wondering why he is not more suspicious. "These are more phantasms, or the children downstairs are...or both."

Mechanics

Old 11-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag
Renata's intelligent question helped Maja to bring herself back to the here and now and to focus at the problems at hand.

"The children below were eating my bread," Maja remarked. "Phantasms don't eat, do they?" she said thinking aloud. "However, to reliably find out whether Rose and Thorn are still in the foyer and whether they are real children and not specters, would mean that I have to run down the stairs again and check on them."

Although she tried to hide her fears, Maja shivered visibly at the thought.

An idea came to her mind. She turned to Aubron and the man she knew by the name Darrell: "Since when have you been hearing children's voices coming from the attic? Before I lost my consciousness, I was on the first floor with Selina where we spoke to the two Durst children. If you had already heard the voice from above by then, these voices cannot be the voices of Rose and Thorn."

"This would hopefully mean that Rose and Thorn are people of flesh and blood as we are," she concluded hopefully.
OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 11-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

As Renata and Maja question Gareth's suggestion that the young children are not what they appear to be the young man simply shrugs and spreads his hands.

"Nothing has gone right for us so far, so I'm just assuming the worst. The brats said they had only run on to the street ten minutes before. That doesn't seem to make much sense to ol' Darrell. Seems to me they're trying to get us killed. How could they not know their brother was a ghost? And if he is...."

Gareth waves a hand at the padlock as he takes his place next to Aubron.

"If someone is in there, those kids we hear laughing, how long do you think they've been in there? Doesn't look like anyone has been through here in a long time."

Gareth makes a very obvious show of drawing an arrow and settles in, a grim look on his face.

OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
Aubron turned to Maja. "The voices are apparent if you listen. I heard them as I walked into this attic just before Renata's altercation with the nanny below. We need to find out what is going on, and questioning children may not yield the most accurate answers."

The elf watched as Darell struggled with the padlock. He noticed a vague flaw in his technique with the thieves tools, so the ranger turned to him. "Let me try," he said and asked Darell at the same time. "However, I need your help."

He held out his hands and asked for the lockpicks that Darell produced. Together, the went over to the door and studied the padlock. Darell indicated that it was not trapped, so Aubron surmised that it was merely a mechanical puzzle that needed to be solved.

The nimble hands of Aubron went to work. He took one of the small picks and inserted it into the hole. With a second, he felt around for the tumblers inside attempting to move one at a time. Slowly, he worked with the calm patience that one would expect from the elf ranger. Darell stood over him and helped him guiding his hands. The man reported what he had felt earlier on his try, and Aubron sensed exactly what he was talking about. The two of them worked with expert care.
OOCTook the liberty of assuming Darell would HELP Aubron picking the lock.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 11-27-2018 at 10:45 AM.