RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > Portage: Rising from Ashes > Game Play
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 9687
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,404
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Alec was rather pleasantly surprised by the change in demeanor orchestrated by the now named Lessa Liddy, Esquire. A lawyer then, which went someways towards explaining her dress and the more professional outlook she seemed to be embodying. Taking the care and courtesy to take off one of his gloves, which were in much better and more recent shape than his coat, he accepts the offered hand and an entirely genuine smile takes shape upon his face. "It is good to know there is someone of your profession included in this gathering, I have no doubt that sort of skill set will come into play before these nights are done." His new focus of conversation was certainly helping him get over his disappointment at his blood-kin's lack of reaction to his line. The wrinkling of her nose did not really count. Ah well, win some lose some.

What did concern him however was the questions that followed from the present lawyer, it appeared he had assumed too much about the current status of the ongoing investigation. Perhaps this was for the best, being able to add his own unique pieces of the puzzle to the pot from the start would no doubt lend itself well to establishing himself a position within this association. Not that he had any aims at being the leader, as despite recent events he never really wanted to ever be the one at the top. That had not changed. Still, grounding himself firmly as 'one of the group' would be needed, and this provided an unavoidable opportunity with which to do so. He could act like the elders and keep some cards close to the vest, but really, given the likely stakes such an idea seemed foolish in the extreme. Certainly more so than challenging two of the three highest ranking elders in the midst of the chantry archives had been, and that was both saying something and speaking from experience.

It did amuse him that Lessa seemed to think he had been eavesdropping, at least from his perspective that if that had been all he wished he could have done it from a considerable distance further away if he didn't mind torturing his ears with the sounds from the club two floors below their feet. Quickly but confidently moving to take a seat in one of the chairs near where the lawyer had moved to after their exchange he began to respond to her line of questioning. "Well for starters, I am not really a local. Although I spent some time here with my sire several decades back, I have only recently arrived as of roughly a month ago." Alec could give her an fairly accurate accounting to the hour if he wished, but that was beside the point.

"But fair enough. After the storm that beset us two nights ago which appeared to originate from the island in question followed by the visions," And here he was assuming that those aside from the occult inclined clan of kindred had also been beset by them. Which could be an overreach on his part, but he doubted it and went forward with that assumption for now. "I set out immediately for the chantry to join much of my fellows in attempting to unravel this curiosity. My efforts were not entirely in vain, even if the kernel of truth I gained on the matter came from a rather unexpected source. While I am not at liberty to reveal much of what happens within the chantry or what lies within, I can say I found a rather old and rare tome in which someone had recorded a number of local oral histories and legends."

Here the warlock paused for a moment, the barest hint of a frown upon his lips. "Unfortunately the tome in question is numbered among the list of books and other objects deemed too rare to be 'checked out' as it were, so I could not bring it with me. I do have people looking into what I am about to tell you, so fear not about a lead slipping us by without further research." Apology and reassurances made, Alec gets to the point. "Within this collection of local tales lies the one in particular that is relevant for our own circumstances. The author dubbed it, 'The Dragon and the Mirror', and while lacking in proper details contains hints that I have since had all but confirmed by an individual that shall remain anonymous." Not entirely true, he had already dropped Neonate Higgs' name after all.

"It speaks of a most dangerous and mischievous spirit that took great delight in tormenting the Wolf and Bear clans that inhabited Shamen's Isle, using abilities against which they had no apparent defense. The people had been crying out to someone or something referred to by Glooscap for relief. Whether in connection to this, or entirely by chance, a so called 'dragon' appeared as a protector of the people and using some form of mirror like object, tricked the spirit into becoming trapped within its own reflection, believing itself to have ensnared the dragon. There are further tales past this of course, of the great dragon appearing in times of need for the Bear and Wolf peoples, but nothing more regarding the spirit." Leaning back in his chair, Alec keeps his gaze locked on Lessa's own.

"On its own, it may seem hardly noteworthy, but when you learn to look through this moonlit world of darkness and read between the lines one can see hints of what may have really happened. Something was trapped or sealed on that island, and whatever it was is now almost certainly free." The warlock clasps his hands together, gloved fingers knitting themselves tightly as he lets that sink in a moment before continuing. "But I am sure you would prefer something a little more concrete hmm?" A knowing look crosses through his eyes. "I am sure you are aware, or are becoming as such, of the fact that our local island in question has been off limits for various vague reasons and rationale on both sides of supernatural divide. That one needs approval from rather extraordinarily high up the food chain to gain access to it. Well I also know, from the same individual who confirmed those kernels of truth hidden within folklore that there was a group sent to, allowed within, or perhaps snuck themselves inside of the island not too long ago whose objective happened to be 'containing'... something. Clearly they failed."

A finger prods his chin as he hesitates for but a moment. "There may have also been whispers that the group in question had exhibited interest in some form of blood rites, but I know of none of the details regarding it."

"Now then, what do you know?"


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 12-02-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 15758
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,339
Leesa works to scribble down as much as she can. Ultimately there's too much going on here, too much beyond her own experience, beyond her own knowledge, so she needs to triage. The Dragon... Mirror... she scrawls. Protector spirit... Wolf and Bear tribes.... now freed...

More of the Native hokum, though definitely a new angle from what she'd heard before. She raises an eyebrow as Alec reaches some more familiar turf. Last crew was sent for containment. She underlines the last word. Was looking at blood rites? Question mark. Seems like something that merits another question mark: rites??

Alec finishes. Leesa looks up from her pad, and over to Adina, trying to read her expression. Leesa is not sure how much to tell the new guy. What would Adina hold back? What would Rita hold back? She doesn't know them well enough to know. Just as important, she's not at all sure what she knows.

She exhales loudly. "OK. Listen. Thanks. I appreciate it. But here's the thing. I've been on this job for..." she looks at the screen of her phone "...about 23 hours. So I'm not sure what I've got to tell you. The others have been on the job longer than me, and I gather they spoke to Il Principe himself." Leesa has always liked the fascist overtones you could assign to the Price by referring to him in Italian. "I can't quite tell you what they know. I don't know myself. I can tell you what I've seen. Whether I KNOW anything is a separate question.

Summing up the facts of a case, she shifts into a dry straightforward lawyer's cadence "We looked into the stomping grounds of a few of these 'investigators' who went to the island. One of them, a home, contained a log of comings and goings from the island. That log appeared to be the property..." she looks over her shoulder, suspecting that Adina wouldn't reveal this info, though Leesa can't explain why "... property of the Seneschal, Isabella DeCosta. While there, one of our other current investigators went to the office of another one of the deceased. Permanent deceased, of course. She was attacked - something was waiting for her there in the dark.

"While we were at the first place, we made phone contact with a Tzimisce who claims to have knowledge about what's going on; why the other group was lost." She watches Alec's reaction to the mention of an agent of the Tremere's old nemeses. It seems to freak out the others. What about him? "At the second place, the office, we got a lead on a location, Pier 21. Something happened - or happens - there at midnight. We were hoping to repeat a contact with the Tzim. That may or may not interact with our most tangible plans, which are to head to that Pier, as soon as everyone shows up. Be there for midnight."

She wrinkles her nose in thought and flips back through her notes of the last night. "There some other threads... hm... right, here it is. Does 'Crimson Crown' mean anything to you? Probably a place name. There's also a shady Kindred by the name of Govinda who might have knowledge of the deceased and their activities in the days leading up to... the vision we all saw."
__________________
Currently co-running Outplay 2019 (5e GM). Round 4, the championship round, is underway! Come on over and take a gander.

5e one-shot adventure in development, to be advertised late August or early September.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 12-05-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is offline
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 11132
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,479
A Long Night, and It's Just Beginning...When Thomas woke up, it took him many moments to realize where he was. It was too bright to be his Haven out in the wilderness, but then he began to remember a few things. His last memories of the previous night had been handing a note to David...

The young man let out a groan as he stretched out on the cold concrete floor of Jack's basement as he prepared to stand. He hoped he could figure out what he had missed and where he should go. A voice came from the stairs, from Waif and Thomas looked at her with a hesitant eye. He noticed that she seemed a bit tired as she filled him in on the important bits from yesterday. He listened carefully, but part of him was immediately sucked into his own mind, 'They all went to Cheryl's. I'm sorry, my old friend... I'm sorry he's so hard to control.'

Thomas bit his lip fairly hard as he struggled against the impulse to shrink into the shadows as he looked to Waif, who was one of the few people in the city that resembled a friend. He offered her a weak smile and spoke to her softly, "It goes on, doesn't it? It always does... You said the meeting was at Elysium? I... I guess I shouldn't avoid it. Could we go a few places first? I... I get the feeling that it would be best to make a few preparations."

Outside in the parking lot, Thomas stopped and tried to find Ferocious but despite everything, the cat wasn't to be found. With the feline out of the picture, he attempted to corner some of the bats in the trees but the feelings he received from them weren't promising. They were afraid, or the night and of him. Thomas knew that there wouldn't be much help from the beasts tonight. And it left him feeling abandoned,... he never had many friends, and the animals were often one of his connections to something more than loneliness. Still, he pushed away the disappointment and rejoined Waif as she prepared to go.



As the pair left Jack's, his first thought was that he was glad to be free from Waif's pink death trap - not that the jeep was that much better with her driving, in his opinion. His errands didn't take too long... he stopped by his Haven to pick up some old junk he had been keeping around for years and dropped by one of the better hardware stores to grab a phone and supplies that would potentially serve multiple uses. He didn't know what was coming, but he had been known to freelance with The Crew, helping them with investigations, so his pick-ups were geared toward those ends.

Thomas fiddled with the phone as he tried to get it to do something useful as he rode in the Jeep, though his mind was elsewhere. He kept thinking about everyone at the bar last night... he wasn't afraid of the Primogens and The Crew. They had already known about The Old Man. But the others... Without thinking, he spoke toward Waif in a timid voice, "I'm sorry, Waif... For whatever happened last night. Do... do you think Rita or the others hate me now? Wh... what if they chase me off as soon as they look at me?" He was worried about Rita, considering she was the only one who he had known prior to last night, though he could imagine Adina or the others not talking to him at all just as easily. The feeling of the Old Man might be all they think about. Even as Waif answered, Thomas felt his uncertainty rise, and his hackles rise with it, and he knew that danger was still in the air and The Old Man was waiting for an opening.



Thomas licked his lips as he stepped from the Jeep, then threw an uncharacteristically dour glance to Waif with his one eye. His boots crunched lightly in the dirt as he moved to enter Cheryl's haven and he spoke to Waif with a voice sterner than usual, "I know you couldn't help it, but I wish you would have left this place to me. Or brought less people here... Even if she's gone, it hurts to think of invasions like this." Thomas wasn't sure how the skulking girl would take his words, but he had begun to focus. Waif had told him of the things they had found, but they didn't know Cheryl as he knew her and he felt in his bones that there was more hiding in the place. Beyond that feeling was surreal feeling that the entire thing, the pain and the invasion, was his fault. He had to let Him out, and without Cheryl to control him...

Entering the Haven, Thomas considered the things Waif had told him of what had happened. The phone number and the dangerous call that Rita had made, the Tzimisci and Lasombra. Thinking logically, there was the possibility of the Sabbat, but the way he felt... he was certain that it was even worse, 'Oh Cheryl... Why? How did you get into this?'

Before he moved deeper into the place, Thomas turned to Waif and gave her an almost sheepish look. With hesitation, he took out his newly purchased phone and handed it to her, "Um... could you help with this? I need some numbers, I think, so I can actually use it." She took it, and after she gave him a snide remark, he continued bashfully, "Sh... Shut up. You have been trying for years to get me to join the world. So please help?"

Thomas moved deeper into the Haven, as the surreal thoughts and feelings assaulted him and he found himself surrendering his mind to the instincts. He wondered how far the others had delved, and thought that Waif might have held the group back, perhaps to spare the insult to Chery's memory. If that was the case, and he silently hoped it, he felt just a bit better about the whole thing. In his poking around, Thomas found himself in the basement and he looked toward the unfinished stone. It wasn't uncommon for his own kind, as some of the Gangrel could meld into the stone to hide from the sun. But even as he regarded the gravel, he felt his flesh prickle and the urge to go closer rose in his mind, so strong that it was undeniable. Instinct? Or was The Old Man meddling?

Whatever it was, Thomas knelt by the gravel and began to brush it aside, digging until he found a small metal chest. Just the sight of it made him tremble, and he had to fight the urge to run for the woods. But he reminded himself that he couldn't flee. The chest wasn't locked, so after he had braced himself, he reached down to reveal what he had found. Inside the box was a cellphone. He hesitated further, then took up his find and he unflipped it, trying to reason why Cheryl would keep a phone locked away in such a manner. It's an older phone, and despite his limited knowledge of tech, he notes that there are only two numbers stored, and both had been called repeatedly. He could find no trace of texts or messages, however.

Thomas looked around a bit more until the instincts he was guided by were sated and he rejoined Waif. She tossed him his phone and he offered her the second one, "I found this buried. Only two numbers were used... do those numbers ring any bells? Is one of them the same as the one Rita called?" As he waits for her answer, he buckles his seatbelt and the pair head off to join the others at Elysium.


By the time the Jeep had carried Thomas and the Waif to Elysium, the young man was already wishing the night was over. Unlike last night, the place was teeming with people and the shy young man felt almost immediately overwhelmed. But the fact remained that he had been given a charge by The Prince and he couldn't simply run. Whatever was happening, he knew that there was no running from it.

The pair was greeted by Mischa, and Thomas found himself looking down toward his shoes. He had never felt very comfortable in the driving noise of this place, and he knew that The Waif was only a little bit better. He spoke haltingly back to Mischa, "Thank you. Um... Y...you said it was the main room upstairs? Ahem... who is there now?" If Thomas were still alive, he would have felt the blood drain from his face when the Keeper answered his question. Only one name sounded remotely familiar, and that belonged to the studious woman that he knew nothing about, 'This... is this a mistake? Should I wait outside until Rita or someone else shows?'

He glances toward the skulking Waif, and though he wanted to wait, the pair were led to the room where Adina, Alec and Leesa were already speaking. Thomas moved slowly, hesitantly, but with his sensitive hearing he heard them speaking before he could see them, 'They are planning to meet at Pier 21...' In his mind, he simply rehashed the words the woman spoke as he tried to build up his own nerve. When he was ready, he approached the table with his head cocked to the side, which allowed his single eye to take in the trio as he offered a tentative smile, "Um... Ahem. Sorry it took me a while to join you. And... and for keeping Waif to myself. Um... Thomas is my name. I've only met Adina?" Thomas is a bit nervous and without realizing it, finds himself glancing toward Waif, if only to remind himself that he isn't alone.
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is online now
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 8637
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 5,334
Adinas eyebrose rose slightly as Alec talked about his research in the chantry. This should have been her, frankly. They had gathered much the same nebulous talk of a Dragon and Wolves - though the bear clan was new - but she had to bear a stinking Biker Bar to get to it. She had known that in the library one could find most anything, but the Prince had forced her to rush out doing field work. Her eyes went up to the ceiling as she listened to the rest of Alecs findings.

She was considering to try and sum up their most recent findings just as Leesa started to do so herself. Adina nodded slightly every now and then, emphasising points in the other womans speech. All that was left after that was to try and recall what they had been in that Biker Bar for.

"After we had met up in the Elysium we went to Jack's, a Biker Bar. Some of the others wanted to question... someone there but it was another that gave us information about this so-called Dragon." She was not entirely sure she should talk about Thomas and what she had witnessed that night. At this moment she was not aware where the man had even gone.

"Beside this Dragon there is supposedly an Elder Kindred that plays a part. And there are wolves in a real sense, not a metaphorical. Though we have had no evidence of this yet. There are those that would keep them as pets."

It was at that moment that Thomas entered the room. Out of an atavistic habit Adina drew some air into her superfluous lungs and frowned slightly. Eventually she remembered it may be taken as a slight to look so cantankerous in the face of a new arrival.

"Hello Thomas," a slight pause between the sounds.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 15758
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,339
Leesa is relieved that Adina seems to be fine with the revelation of info. It certainly makes things easier. She gives her a gentle smile of appreciation.

Then Thomas enters. Leesa gives him much the same once-over gaze as she gave Alec, as Adina greets him. She doesn't think much before she replies. "Thomas? Oh, Thomas." She stops herself from saying 'Malk Thomas' - she's doesn't want to cause offense; it seems insensitive to point that out as the only salient fact she knows about the man. She nods as if approving, and so she doesn't think to stop herself from adding, "I thought you said he was 'Old'."

"Hi Thomas, I'm Leesa. Looks like we're working together. Do we need catch you up, too? Or can you catch us up on something?"
__________________
Currently co-running Outplay 2019 (5e GM). Round 4, the championship round, is underway! Come on over and take a gander.

5e one-shot adventure in development, to be advertised late August or early September.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 16616
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,261
Earlier this eveningWaif had her best carefree expression on when Thomas had finally woken, though enough time had passed out in the outskirts between the pair, that Thomas could see the faint lines of worry or concern. It was not that she was usually a pessimistic individual, quite the opposite, the girl, was wild, carefree and chaotic, but she also was not a fool and it was clear that she was concerned how Thomas would take the information she had for him. There was a measure of relief when he did not get angry with her, or perhaps she feared it might bring out the Old Man. Either way once that was passed and they, or more he with her help, started on the night, her typical, snarky self returned with expected aplomb.

Thomas could see the small pout when he did not fully rise to the occasion in regards to her comment about passenger pigeons being the most recent technology he was accustomed to, though all in all, she kept back and away and by the time he had finished in Cheryl's, the phone in hand, he knew that as much as she could be ever inch the wild child, she had done her best to care for Cheryl's place, even if she had allowed the others to go through the place. The new phone in hand, her nose crinkled as she looked at the numbers. A wince was all he needed to know that indeed, one of the numbers was the same that they had found and called, the same that connected Cheryl to a Tzimisci. What had she gotten herself into, quite, meek, genial Cheryl?


The place was far more alive than the night prior, the sounds of music filled the air and one might be forgiven if for a moment they thought nothing ill roamed the streets of Portage. Waif looked like she would rather attempt to cuddle with the Brujah Primogen then go into the Gallery, not that it helped Thomas with his own misgivings, but the pair did make their way in, and with a wave of her hand, Mischa sent the pair further along to join the others...

The others, as in only one of them was recognizable, to which Waif suddenly looked like a child with her hand caught in the cookie jar. Yes, Waif had forgotten to fill Thomas in on the changes she had known about, which did not include one Alec Thorne, so at least she too was a little out of the loop as the youthful looking Gangrel lounged against the wall and crinkled her nose once more, the expression almost comical in companion to the over-sized hoodie, low slung jeans and army boots in assorted shades of muddied grey.

"Waif..." The word was spoken such that one might think she called one of the others an insult, though her pale blue eyes settled on the stranger to her with a blatant question even as Lessa posed her own of Thomas.

 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is online now
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 8637
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 5,334
Adina was not entirely sure why Leesa was smiling at her then, but she did loosen the tension around the corners of a mouth. Mostly it was due to being startled, but a smile still touched a place inside her that she had buried deep long ago. From before. Thinking about it she could not remember when she had last smiled in earnest. Weeks probably, when she had thought she had finally settled into this town for good and things looked like they would get better from here on out.

She nodded silently to Waif, and then it seemed prudent to turn to Thomas then, since in fact she was also curious as to what the man had been doing since last she saw him. So curious that she even added to the questions rather unnecessarily: "Yes, did you pursue anything revelant to our research after Jacks? I had thought you would follow us to the Haven of Cheryl Johnson."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 9687
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,404
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Alec was quickly coming to appreciate the attorney kindred's straightforward manner in this meeting that had already begun to bear fruit. He had been taking a gamble, laying his cards out on the table like that, but evidently it had worked in the manner the warlock hoped it would. Even if the one who was by all appearances being as open with him as he had been to her had not been there from the start, something that had apparently included a meeting with the prince, what she had been there for was certainly important. Though Alec couldn't hold back the smirk of mirth that crossed his face at hearing Leesa's chosen form of address for the man that ruled the moonlit night of Portage. It was rather like a less bold, or perhaps simply a saner approach, to his own form of address regarding a certain Neonate and Fledgling duo. She probably lacked the gall or insanity to do it to the man's face however.

His amused line of thought was interrupted by the latest piece of the puzzle he had been given, even if he did not quite understand where it fit in the bigger picture. "A member of this prior group possessed a personal log belonging to the seneschal herself? Detailing the comings and goings, plural, to and from the island? Do you still have it?" It was not like the warlock needed to keep it, but if he could just get a glance, a quick flip through that potential treasure trove's pages, he could easily pass it on to Leah and potentially Higgs later for follow up. His gifted memory was one of the few cards he had not openly played in his first move, and that was one he normally never did. Last night had been a necessary exception due to time constraints and his need to acquire his kinswoman's aid in that timely fashion. Moreover the log itself could contain code hidden in otherwise normal seeming wording that could be picked up on with careful study. Additionally, entrusting copies of such sensitive information to his cohort and researcher in this mess could prove a way to further secure her loyalty in the future. Alec froze for the barest of moments at that last, almost cold-blooded thought that felt rather unlike him. It felt like something his sire might have considered, the man had always had a mind for the big picture that his progeny felt came from age more than anything else.

'When did I start thinking like that?'

Was the thought that rang through Alec's head like a bell. No clear answer was forthcoming, and given his recollection, it was rather likely that it was the first time. Of course if anything was to distract him from his internal concerns, it was the name Tzimisce. Had he been mortal, his blood would have run cold and his face gone a pallid white. As he was clinically dead, none of these telltale signs manifested themselves upon his features. The only reaction that slipped through immediately was the slight furrowing of his brow and a narrowing gaze boring itself into Leesa's own for brief moment. A sigh slid past his lips unbidden as the warlock's eyes slid closed, gloved hands sliding together with the thumbs resting on his chin and the pointers on the bridge of his nose. Eventually they opened, laden heavily with wariness.

"Well, that is unfortunate. If one of the fiends are involved in someway it can only mean this night will get much darker still. However, whatever the inherent risks, we are in no position to avoid an opportunity for further information. Not even a potential setup like this. Midnight it is, though should we not arrive early to possibly survey the location before hand?" Alec could be excused for thinking the mention of involvement by a member of Clan Tremere's oldest enemy was the biggest bomb that Leesa would drop on him, but oddly that fell to two entirely different words. "Crimson Crown you say? Where did you hear those words?"

Any response from the attorney was cut off as another individual, no, individuals plural, arrived. One, the man of the two, had clothes that looked far more worn that Alec's own which gave the man something of a rough look, in spite of his apparent good looks. The eyepatch only furthered that impression even as the man's introduction sought to tear that image apart with sheer timidity. Almost immediately Alec found his eyes drifting to the waif of a girl that had entered with him who was apparently actually called as such. His ears of course still picked up on the man's name slipping off his Kinswoman's tongue. Adina had been mostly silent in the exchange with Leesa, other than the reveal that they had known at least a bit of what he had uncovered at the chantry though the group in whose company he now found himself had apparently had to venture into a biker bar to get it.

Though Alec had heard of it, he had not been to Jack's in the month since he had first arrived in Portage. That was not something he sought to change either, as the potential assault on his senses could easily prove worse than the club below his feet, particularly when you added smells into the mix. The other information was certainly of use however, and he filed it away for later. Like his mind did for everything. Still, back in the present Alec's eyes trailed after the one introduced was 'Waif' whilst his other senses kept close tabs on the main conversation. Enough so that he was able to interject readily enough.

"I am sure you know that age and appearance are not so readily linked on this side of the divide right?" It was a casual enough remark, lacking any true seriousness to it. More of a bit of humor than anything else.

His focus however, never left Waif, something that seemed mirrored in the young looking kindred opposite him. Her frame was largely hidden in that oversized hoodie, but it did little to hide the inquisition that was her stare. Naturally, Alec could not help but arise to the challenge that was the blatant question in that gaze of hers. "Alec T. Thorne, here by request of my servant, Neonate Higgs." Challenge met, accepted, and exceeded. Something told him that the little one in front of him just might be well connected enough to get the latter bit. And if not, well, some additional stress relief in trying to provoke a reaction once more from his kinswoman present in the room was worth the addition anyway.


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 16616
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,261
The young woman regarded Alec with an unflinching expression as his own gaze rested on her's. A faint smile tugged at the corner of her lips along with the smallest glitter in her eyes as he spoke of appearance having little to do with the current state of affairs, as if somehow he had spoken some such wonderful joke. It was difficult to read her expression in truth, the gentle mask of the mere youth she appeared to be was well developed, even if her movements spoke of a balance and grace one attributed to age or the blessings of the Blood within the Toreador, of which she was not, of that Alec would be convinced.

A small roll of her shoulders and a light snort of sound, the actions of breath utterly natural even if moments before she had not bothered with the motion. The smirk remained, a dare even as she spoke once more, the edge of sulking teen removed for the moment. "I do hope dear Richard is behaving." Seven words, spoken with a silken tongue and an undertone of much more than what the surface seemed to reveal to any one present. The curve on her lips remained though no longer met her eyes as she turned to the others, or more tilted her head to take in the others. "Rita still has the ledger if I remember correctly. Lady has ta' handle the paperwork for this place though, sent me a text a bit ago to say the lawyers are dragging on. I think we gotta manage a bit without her, but unlike some, she hasn't gone underground. The damn Sewer Rats have all vanished, and then neither of us could even get any kind of creature to respond to us... " A small nudge of her head toward Thom as she spoke of 'us' before she offered up another deep sigh and slipped her hands from the loops of her pants, knuckles crackled and snapped as she stretched the digits out and returned her gaze to Alec, bland once more.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 15758
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,339
Leesa raises her eyebrows at Alec's interest at the Crimson Crown. "Huh? You know what that means? We found it on a notepad at the office of one of the other deceased. Ezra."

As the room fills and more threads of conversation are bandied about, Leesa's foot sets to waggling in the air, then tapping on the ground. First slowly, then faster, faster, until it almost reaches a jackhammer stomp. Before that happens, she virtually springs up. The speed at which she can move is shocking. One doesn't expect it out of a mousy, doe-eyed pear-shaped gentle-lady lawyer. But she's standing tall in the blink of an eye. She doesn't do anything with that speed, though. She simply crosses her arms over her chest and burns off some of her nervous energy by pacing rather than tapping.

She gives a glance over her shoulder at the new guy as she begins her pace. What's his deal? She wonders. He comes in with a bunch of information that he just unloads on us - it seems consistent enough with what we know. But he comes in with about four different chips on his shoulder. Sly references to this. Weird mentions of that. Prodding and poking here and there, looking to get rises and reactions out of everyone. All the while pretending to be cool as an undead cucumber. What's the point?

She notices that Waif works at giving what she gets. Leesa grins. Of course she knew that looking old has nothing to do with your actual age. All the same, Waif's vulnerable outer shell did lull Leesa into a sort of protective attitude towards the girl. Almost certainly unnecessary. And dangerous. Gotta stop that. She ain't the oppressed masses here. I don't like the sound of 'sewer rats'.

Yet again, Alec says something useful in between his bouts of passive-agressive sparring. Turning around in her paces, Leesa responds. "Yes. I agree. We SHOULD go there early. I say we give Rita about ten more minutes and then pack up and head out. It'd be nice to have that ledger. She's dealing with lawyers? Turns out, that's MY job. You want I should barge in on her meeting and shove my degree where the moon don't shine and ask her to transfer possession of the evidence? I can do that. If Rita isn't going to play with us, she can at least share her ball. It's only fair."
__________________
Currently co-running Outplay 2019 (5e GM). Round 4, the championship round, is underway! Come on over and take a gander.

5e one-shot adventure in development, to be advertised late August or early September.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-24-2019
RPXP: 9687
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,404
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Alec's gaze, rapidly developing a mirth that showed to the Waif all the laughter he could not actually voice given the circumstance, never left the slight and frail looking figure opposite him even as he answered Leesa's inquiries first though she had spoken second. Probably a response prompted by the squirrel in a lawyer suit looking and sounding about ready to vibrate a hole through the floor rather than any belief in different importance between the two women. "I am afraid I do not know what it means, only that it was given to me as a clue to be investigated, which is currently one of the leads my associate is researching on my behalf as we speak." He is entirely honest here, not that necessarily means that the others will believe him. He is however rather disappointed that the logbook is not present, but more confused by the reason why. "They had a perfectly good professional such as yourself readily on hand, and they send someone else to deal with the legalese? What were they thinking?" While his own stare maintains its position locked on the Waif's, making this conversation just a touch weird as Alec focuses on Leesa in his peripheral view, the warlock's tone is entirely serious. It seemed clear that the decision had not been made by Leesa, perhaps her own input had not even been considered?

Alec's focus abruptly switches back to where his eyes had never left, as he takes a moment to respond to the Waif. His gut had been right after all, she was connected, or at least certainly knew things. "He is well enough, although I had to send him to his chambers early last evening. That errant childe Fledgling Forswill and our dear Neonate got into a verbal scuffle in the middle of the archives for all to observe you see." Abruptly, the warlock finally switched his full attention back to the lawyer for a moment, finally turning to look at her directly, his face entirely serious and void of the recently shared humor. "If we have the time, I would dearly wish to witness your mastery of legal-fu. As you say, it is only fair. Who are these legal representatives she is meeting with anyway?" More importantly was which side of the divide they fell on, and if that happened to be their side, how high up the metaphorical food chain were they? But time was important as well, and the warlock reached into the interior of his coat to withdraw a pocket watch to check the time. Their motley band only had so long until midnight after all.


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 16616
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,261
OOCFor Adina and Thom... they would realize the legal stuff has to do with the Elysium and ownership, as they are the only two outside of Waif that were there for when Rita discovered she was now the owner of the Gallery. I should have made note of that in my last post as a reminder, but didn't think about that until now, just in case you two forgot.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is offline
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 11132
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,479
Thomas felt out of place, despite knowing that he was where he currently needed to be. Those at the table were welcoming enough, though he had noticed Adina's frown and her habitual intake of breath at his arrival and the young man winced slightly, though he fought against the urge to shrink back or even flee. He wasn't even afforded the time to formulate his thoughts and he found himself listening quietly as the minutes passed.

Leesa, on the other hand, disturbed him in a different way. The surge of recognition paired with the comment about age told him that she knew of his peculiarity, though that topic had been somewhat taboo... at least, until last night. He nodded to her introduction slightly, fidgeting as he tried to consider how much he should speak in this place. And at the moment, Thomas felt something that almost never happened... he envied his other half. The young man wasn't very comfortable with attention, and the girls had both asked him questions, though they were relevant ones.

The one-eyed gangrel knew he should answer the questions layed upon him, but he found himself hesitant, so he remained quiet as Alec made his own introduction and Waif made a few comments. The conversation plowed on, and in his head, Thomas berated himself, 'Come on... they're not going to hurt you. Talk, share what you know. We'll get through this... We'll get through this...' He tried his best to get his own tongue moving with positive self-talk, though he listened to Alec's musings and his other statements, though it took him a few moments to truly process everything.

The longer that his remained quiet, the more idiotic that the young man felt, and with a bit more internal prodding, he cleared his throat and began to talk again, making sure to do his best in remembering everything that had been posed to him, "Ahem. N... nice to meet you Leesa and Alec. Um... I think it'd be both? I... I did go and check on things myself and Waif did fill me in, but maybe a d... different perspective would make it sound different." Thomas closed his eye and bit his lip and shoved his hands into the pockets of his leather coat as he tried to keep himself calm. After a moment, he continued, "F...f...first, I heard you talking when I was being led here. I don't th... think the Crimson Crown refers to a place. I know most mapped places, trails and islands near Portage and I c... can't think of anything. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't feel like I am... My intuition... I feel that... Well, some words have multiple meanings. It could refer to someone who has red teeth, for all we know..."

Thomas cleared his throat a few more times as he did his best to organize his thoughts and replay the right sequence of things in his mind and he continued, addressing Adina's words first, "The one who mentioned the dragon, kindred and wolves... the wolves probably... ahem... refer to Garou. Some are known to move through dream-like spaces. I... I don't know for sure, though."

Thomas shook his head at the thought of the Wolves, then looked toward the others... Leesa first, then Alec. He spoke to the male first, since his questions and comments had less weight, "Rita's stuff... it probably has to do with property. She... after last night, she learned that she is the new owner of Elysium." He made the statement, then shrugged uncertainly, then turned his single green eye to Leesa.

As he looked at the lawyer woman, the soft, shy nature of his look turned hard and cold for a second, though it seemed to be a momentary lapse, "Be careful with referencing age. That topic should be left alone. Before we go..." Thomas paused and pulled out the phone he had found, and spoke softly as he placed it on the table, "She had this. Buried in the cellar. One number should be familiar... but there was another. Do any of you know it?" He hoped that someone was more useful with technology than he was, though he thought he remember that Adina might be linked with magic somehow. But he didn't remember what made him think so.
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is online now
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 8637
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 5,334
"What happens in the Chantry is not to be shared with outsiders," interjected Adina almost immediately as Alec had divulged the information to Waif, more than just annoyance in her tone as it rose and broke as it became uncharacteristically shrill. Even though it shocked even herself she did not let it show, the matter was too grave to her. She just stared at Alec with hot fury in her dark eyes. The content of shared information did not matter, nor the continued misrepresenting of Higgs Status. Mabe it did a little, though the principle of the thing still remained: The specifics of what happened in the Chantry was as private as any thing could be, yet shared by all those of the blood. The littlest thing.

Eventually Adina unclenched her jaw and turned away as she folded her hands over her chest. As she tried to push the resentment away because it was too distracting to bear she missed most of the conversation that followed. Only when there was mention of something buried did she tune in again and turn back as Thomas placed the phone down on the table.

She stepped forward lightly as she unfolded the arms that had shielded her hurt. The fingers were seeking the phone, yet dared not to touch yet. "Would she... would she have buried this herself? Do we think this was Cheryls own?"

Adina understood the basic workings of what she still called cellular phones, but she was not familiar with a lot of phone numbers. The likelyhood that it meant anything to her was slim, but she had other ideas in any case.

"Let me see it," she almost whispered as her Fingers touched the surface of the device. Instead of picking it up her hand closed on it as she stared off into the middle distance.

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-23-2019
RPXP: 16616
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,261
oocIt is now about 10pm, two hours til the slightly prepared meeting at the dock. This doesn't mean you guys cant arrive early if you wish, or whatnot. If you run out of things to do here as well, I can always had wave time a touch, the joys of being the GM.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB