Game Thread Team 5 - Alhoon Hunt [Qiak-Ko, Aerun, Kral'zari, Kenji] - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Previous Inductees > 2017 > The City of Endless Arenas > Game Resources & Archived Fights > 2018
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 20680
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,133
Team 5 - Alhoon Hunt [Qiak-Ko, Aerun, Kral'zari, Kenji]


Team 5Qiak-Ko led Aerun, Kral'zari and Kenji to a private study inside Mr Rumple's Alchemical Elixirium. There, the viewed the instructions given to them by Grey Bard. It was a long list of tasks that needed to be complete, in order to make the Monster Hunt a success. First, they needed fliers made, showing their monster, in order to hand out as propaganda to gain public support for their hunt. People needed to be excited to see these monsters in the Arena, in order to donate and help fun the expedition. Secondly, they would need to gather the supplies and equipment needed for their expedition. Both to travel to and from their hunting grounds, that would accommodate both the Gladiators and any monster they would capture. Along those lines, they would also need plan on how to capture the monster, and bring it back to Bloodfall alive. A dead monster doesn't make for an interesting battle. And lastly, they would need to gain the sponsorship of one of Bloodfall's Arena Masters. Someone would need to house the monster until it was needed for battle, and agree to pit it in a fight inside their arena. Of course, each of these tasks probably had several smaller objectives to make them happen, but that would be up to the Gladiators to figure out how to complete!


Semi-Independent Skill Challenge - Organize your Monster Hunting Expedition
Your wits and your imagination are your only limitations. You are encouraged to have your RP make sense and follow a logical chain of events. The expectation is that players will bounce off each other, build on each other's ideas, and assist when someone fails. We hope that your failures will be as creative and entertaining as your successes! When the skill challenge is complete, the Narrative should be at the point where the Gladiators are ready to set out on their expedition, or perhaps involve some of the travel to their hunting grounds. The actual monster will not yet be encountered, as that will be Phase 2 of this years Holiday Event.

There will be two sets of criteria for completion of the first phase of this years Holliday Special Event.

Core Tasks
The first is to make sure that Core Tasks are completed.
  • Find a sponsor (one of the Arena Masters) for your expedition, who will both fund the endeavor, and purchase the captured monster at the end of it. (Difficult, DC 20)
  • Devise a plan to capture, without killing your Monster. (Hard, DC 15)
  • Locate equipment and supplies needed for travel of the Expedition (Moderate/Hard, DC 13)
  • Create and Distribute pictures of the Monster you are hunting for. (No check, please create and post your own original artwork of your monster).
Core Tasks are ALWAYS unlocked and may be attempted at any time in any order. Failing a check for a core task does not create a setback.

Total Tasks
The second is a total number of tasks, dependant on the group size, that need to be completed (These include the Core Tasks, plus anything else the group comes up with).
  • 1 x # Team Members - Monster Picture (Each gladiator must complete their own, may attempt another task in the same post these are presented)
  • 1 x # Team Members - EASY (DC 10) (Each gladiator must pass their own)
  • 1 x # Team Members - Moderate/Hard (DC 13) (Completed by anyone on the team)
  • 1/2 x # Team Members - Hard (DC 15) (Rounded up, completed by anyone on the team)
  • 2 total = Difficult (DC 20)
All EASY and Moderate/Hard tasks are always available. All Moderate/Hard tasks must be completed before the Hard tasks are available. All Hard tasks must be completed before the Difficult tasks are available. (Again, Core Tasks can be completed at any time, this it could be possible that "Finding a Sponsor" is the first thing done, making one of the two Difficult tasks the first completed)

How to complete a TaskTo complete a task, a player selects the difficulty of a task they are attempting to complete, and a skill to complete it with. Any skill can be used to complete any task, so long as a valid RP reason is given for why that skill is applicable. A successful skill check means the task is completed. A failure means that there is a setback.

On a players post, they will first attempt to resolve a setback, if one is in place. If successful, or if no setbacks are in place, they may then attempt to complete a task. No player may attempt to complete more than one task, or resolve a setback more than once when making a post. A player may not post again until someone else on the team has attempted a task, or to resolve a setback.

A player MAY NOT include any further checks in the same post after a failure.
A player MAY NOT use Faction Points or the Help Mechanic to gain advantage on checks. Class features or spells may be used.
A player MAY ONLY use a SKILL once for completing a task and once to counteract a failure. A failed attempt on either does not rule out trying to use the skill again at a later time.


SetbacksIf a Task is failed, it creates a Setback, which must be resolved before a new task can be completed. To resolve a setback, another player must RP and make a successful COUNTERACT CHECK at the same DC +1 of the failed check. 3 failed attempts to correct a Setback will call for a MAJOR SETBACK, involving DM intervention which will have an impact on the rest of the match.


Task TrackingAt the end of every post, a fieldset tracker should be included, listing what has been accomplished, update with what happened in your post, and what the next step will be.
Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 0/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Next Step: <resolve setback, next tasks, etc>


 

__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 12-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 20680
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,133
Kral'zari
right-aligned image


"This creature you spoke of, " Kral'zari said to Qiak-Ko, "I might know something about it. As you know, my people have an ancient enemy, the Illithid! Well, I think what we are hunting for might be related. Let me see if I can recall, some Illithids want power beyond their Psionics and begin to study magic. For this, they become outcasts. Still, the draw to power is great, and so, sometimes they go to great lengths to obtain it... some even go so far as too...." The Gith had to think a moment, back to his history classes and try to remember what it was that the Illithid would do, so horrific and terrible a cost, but one that brought great power. "They would put on a funny red suit with white fluffy trim, and jump down chimnies to bring children presents!"

As soon as he said it, he knew something wasn't right, and Kral'zari felt sick to his stomach before doubling over in pain.

 

OOCHistory check, DC 10: FAIL



Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 1/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 1/3
Next Step: Resolve the Historical Setback!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Thepurp's Avatar
Thepurp Thepurp is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 2570
Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp
Posts: 1,768
Kenji Watanabe - Human Fighter
(Sheet) (Application)


Kenji thought he was going to hunt for some Giants, but the call from the Aarakocran monk was very compelling and difficult to resist. He was swept away like a tissue in the wind by the pleas for help from the air bending warrior.

The gladiators on this particular hunt met at the alchemical shop. Kenji listened intently to the Gith Kral'zari describe this unusual creature because he had never heard of the Alhoon. But the description given by the Gith gladiator seemed a bit far fetched. "A red suit with white fluffy trim wearing creature jumping down chimneys? No offense but I have my doubts Kral'zari. You know this reminds me of the old tales told back home about the Geeshin, a creature with a long white beard with red skin that would sneak into homes late at night and kidnap mischievous children. The adults would tell this tale to their children to keep them in line. Perhaps you're getting these old folktales mixed up."

Kenji's curiosity had been sparked. He needed to find out more and accurate information about this Alhoon creature to aid in the hunt. He went to the central Bloodfall library to do some research. After several hours of investigation, he came upon an ancient tome written by a long dead wizard named Volvo describing a creature which had similarities to the description given by the Gith, but without the red suit part. This was it. He knew he had the right one! It came with an incredibly life like drawing of one of these creatures.

Kenji quickly copied a sketch of the picture and made his way back to the alchemical shop and reported his findings to the others. "Now that we know what we are dealing with, we will need to make copies of this sketch I made and display it all throughout the city," he said as he passed the sketch to the others to see. "I will go to the printers in town and have them make up some flyers with a catchy little slogan to get the masses on board and then put these up all throughout the city."

Unfortunately, Kenji forgot his coins and could not persuade the printers to print out his flyer. "We need a down payment. What you think we run a charity here?" laughed the clerk at the printing office


OOCResolved Kral'zari setback, investigation check = 12

Setback on getting flyers printed out, persuasion check = 4


 


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 2/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 1/3
Next Step: Resolve the getting flyers printed out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_124240.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	78577  

Last edited by Thepurp; 12-05-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:06 AM
Trequs's Avatar
Trequs Trequs is offline
Party Associate
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-27-2020
RPXP: 5950
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
Posts: 4,696
Aerun rushes into the printer's behind Kenji. "No - hold on, there's no need for coin. I can handle these myself. Come, friend, I'll show you." He stops and sits on a jagged stone just outside the wall, waiting for Kenji to join. "Look, I can simply copy these over with my mage hand. It's a perfect system - an exact 1:1 copy every time."

Aerun gently sets the flyer down, and produces a few sheets of parchment from his pack. Summoning his mage hand, he commands it to replicate the original on these blank sheets. The copying process starts out well, with three almost perfect copies lying beside the drawing, but after Aerun dismisses the hand, the drawings all fade away.

Sheepishly, Aerun mumbles, "Oh...I did forget about that part."

 

Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 2/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 2/3
Next Step: Resolve the getting flyers printed out
__________________
February may see slightly slower posting rates than usual.

Last edited by Bhelogan; 12-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 20680
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,133
Kral'zari
right-aligned image


Kral'zari went with another approach to try and get the flyers printed. He went around the back of the printer and tried to peek in. There must be some reason why they wouldn't do the job for the gladiators. Surely, they would be reimbursed for their meager cost of printing a few flyers. Sure enough, as Kral'zari peeked into the window, he spotted the Clerk talking to a few men covered in cloaks in hushed tones. Something seemed fishy about this. Kral'zari turned around to return and tell the rest of the Gladiators, but as he did so, his face smashed into the gut of someone, or something very large. "Just what do you think you are doing here?" the Gith heard spoken in a low grumbly voice before he felt something come smashing down on his head and everything went dark....


OOCInvestigation ro resolve setback, DC 11: 9



Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 2/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 3/3
Next Step: Major Setback! NEED DM intervention
__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 12-06-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Stonk's Avatar
Stonk Stonk is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-25-2020
RPXP: 3984
Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk Stonk
Posts: 5,661
Major Set BackThe printer has an incredulous look on his face as Kenji tries to negotiate with no coin, and that turned to fury when Aerun pulled him out of the shop. "There isn't another printer that will do this for free!" When Aerun comes into the print shop the man had already walked into the back and he pulled Kenji to the wall, they did not see someone following them. When Aerun tried to make his copies using magic he failed, the spell just didn't take. Then they heard a shout, "You are under arrest for violating the artisan guild charter right #225, no citizen may use magic to circumvent a legitimate guild trade in bloodfall, you two come with me." The voice commands respect and the glowing ring casts a command spell on them that forces them to follow him, as they are marched to the local holding cell.

The printer goes into the back and starts talking with his associates. "1000g on the group hunting a wind dragon, they have the most talented gladiators, by far, and I will make it happen." He slides over a bag of coins then looks up at the window, "Just what do you think you are doing here?"

Kral'zari wakes up in a cell, when his eyes refocus he can see that he is in the Bloodfall holding cell with a few other his two companions, vagrants and petty criminals. Kral'Zari can hear in the background, "I know he is a gladiator, but he was breaking into my shop to steal the other gladiators prints!" The captain comes over and says, "It's going to be a long night for all of you!" he walks away from the cell leaving the printer smirking at Kral'zari, Aerun and Kenji. "Going to be hard to catch your Alhoon now isn't it, this was almost too easy." The printers sticks around to see if Kral'zari has anything to say, and mock him a little more.

OOCYou are in a holding cell all facing charges. All Charisma checks are currently at +2. You can get out of this situation by making a DC 15+2 persuasion or intimidation check to either the printer, or the guard. If you fail you can bribe the printer to drop the charges for 25% of the total gold earned with a successful hunt. Paying the bribe will eliminate the +2 charisma penalty

On another note, please remember, once a minor setback happens, it must be resolved before any new checks. Two failed attempts at resolving incur the Major Setback (we had 3 tries here). Setbacks are all cleared now, and the expedition can continue.

Last edited by Stonk; 12-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Trequs's Avatar
Trequs Trequs is offline
Party Associate
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-27-2020
RPXP: 5950
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
Posts: 4,696
Aerun mutters to himself, "Technically...technically I didn't use magic to circumvent...well, anything...because it didn't work."

He doesn't protest much, however, allowing himself to be tossed into jail, and not really thinking about how he would get out. But after the printer finally leaves them alone and Aerun lies down to take a nap, he jumps to his feet with the realization that he had a legitimate case to make. Pulling a few blank pages from his pocket (fortunately not the same ones as before), he grabs his case of pens and begins to write up their defense. Not long after, the captain passes by, and Aerun grabs his attention, and convinces him to bring the sheriff down. With the two men in attendance, Aerun makes his case.

"Listen - we didn't do anything wrong here, and this constitutes wrongful imprisonment. If you intend to keep us locked down here, word will soon reach the arena masters, and they're not going to be happy to see their top moneymakers in a cell for no reason. Kral'zari was wrongly accused, he was simply standing behind the building. I did not make any flyers with magic, as you can see," he says, producing the blank pages, "and honestly I'm not sure why Kenji was tossed in here, since all he did was try to place an order."

He steps back, grabs two copies of his missive, and presses one into the hand of each lawman. "No - the real guilty party must be the Printer. What purpose would he have hiring such tough security to guard a simple shop - especially when the Laws of Bloodfall consider his office a protected guild. Why would he be so eager to toss a prospective customer in jail for looking in a window - or for that matter for placing an order to purchase his flyers? They're hiding something there, and trying to cover it up by putting us in jail to distract the citizens." Aerun can see that his story is being taken seriously.

"Look - we have work to do for the good of this city, and it seems you do as well. Go check out that printer's office, and let us return to our hunt. If nothing else, he should be paying you a fine for wasting the time of your good men."

The sheriff and captain nod and head away to confer. Ten minutes later, the party is ushered out of the cell, and told to avoid that side of the city for a couple of days.

As they head outside to the setting sun, Aerun breathes a sigh of relief. "So...let's say no flyers. What should we try next?"


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 2/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: RESOLVED
Next Step:
__________________
February may see slightly slower posting rates than usual.

Last edited by Trequs; 12-06-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Vallesh's Avatar
Vallesh Vallesh is offline
Dastardly Dolphin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-26-2019
RPXP: 7969
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Posts: 3,919
Qiak-KoQiak-Ko had departed rather swiftly after dropping the hunting team at the potion shop; knowing the gnome who owned it he knew there was some strange deal going on in the background that he wanted no part of. Plus he had leads to follow up on at the Resting Place. Supposedly one of the acolytes had had a vision of the foul creature stealing and trapping the resting spirits.

Landing before the large entrance way to the mansion he is quickly pointed in the direction of the blessed acolyte. Striding through and then down into the cellar tombs Qiak-Ko found the acolyte huddled in a brightly lit corner of stone. It seemed that the young man did not believe his vision was a blessing.

”They’re back, back and even more horrid. Writhing, melted, evil. You were supposed to have killed them all!” He yells the last bit a Qiak-Ko.

”Calm, breathe deep, lets the winds relieve you. Raving will get us no where.” He stares down at the man a moment. ”Now explain and describe what you saw.” It took a while but with a bit of coaching and probing questions Qiak-Ko had his description. Hurrying back up to the relic library he located a quill and ink and began a rough sketch of the creature. Yes he knew the general shape but the darker twists this one had taken on worried him more and more. Last time they wanted slaves, living breathing creatures but now, now its souls. Whatever is happening this time it is different. The sketch was basic but at least none who had been present in the city at the time of the creatures would forget them so it did not matter overly much. What mattered more was finding a relic in the library which would be able to guide them a little better to its hiding place.

Tucking the parchment into his belt he begins his search through the stacks of shelves. The organisation of the place was perfect, shelves labelled by gods, deities, religions, cults and more. So find anything there should be easy, if you knew what you were looking for or perhaps had an idea of the religion it came from. The problem was the Qiak-Ko a follower of the Winds and actually knew very little about any other religion. After hours walking around with winds rustling around him, he gave up with a loud sigh. Fine perhaps if I just take a selection of these relics with me one might be able to help us. Stopping at random along the shelves he pockets and collects several relics of varying deities and decides to head back to Rumples shop.

He had been gone several hours and hoped that the others had begun preparing for the hunt, gathering equipment to capture the creature and somewhere perhaps to keep it while the attempted to free the spirits it had taken. It was quite a surprise when he arrived to find no-one there but an official note pinned to the door. The note explained in some rather complicated language of certain issues with a printer, hands, and nose poking or something like that. It seemed that somehow the others had already gotten into trouble with Bloodfall law enforcement. Well I had better go get them out afterall I cannot do this without comrades. Once I explain our situation and here the issue in more simple language I’m sure it’ll all be sorted out.

It was yet more flying to get to the jail but as he lands it seems his worries were unfounded as he sees Aerun, a fine name, leading the others from the establishment. ”Greetings of the winds upon you. I was worried there had been some trouble be looks be nothing.” He does a double take at the large lump on Kral'zari head. ”Well maybe not nothing but it seems resolved at least. Now I have been searching the relic library to items of use and I, errr, would like your second opinion, yes, opinion on these items I have as to which might be most helpful in finding this creature.” His head darts from side to side checking if any other person was near before leaning in close to the others. ”Now stay calm as I believe I have found that this creature is some sort of Mind Flayer, the creature that attempted to take over Bloodfall, no not the dragon king from Kyrid, the octopus headed things. But it seems there is something darker going on here. The last ones wanted living slaves this one or these ones just want spirits. It makes my feathers shiver. Shall we find somewhere more private where I can show you these relics?”

OOCAttempt to find a relic to help track the Alhoon down - Moderate/Easy Religion Check - Fail (6)



Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 2/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 1/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Select a relevant relic/item/usage to help locate the Alhoon DC13+1
__________________
CO-DM of The City of Endless Arenas - We're always looking for new players!

Last edited by Vallesh; 12-06-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Trequs's Avatar
Trequs Trequs is offline
Party Associate
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-27-2020
RPXP: 5950
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
Posts: 4,696
Aerun looks up at Qiak-Ko from where he had been scratching hard into a small stone tablet and applying some plant-based inks. "I've come to the same conclusion," he says, showing off his etching.

Looking through the pile of relics, he finds one that has an illithid head scratched into a small corner. "What about this tome?" he says, gesturing to the corner of the book. "Surely it's been marked as a sign of...well...either power or importance." He stops to think about the progress the group has been making. "Maybe we're going about this the wrong way. What if we gather supplies for the expedition first? Get set and geared up? Maybe people will take this quest more seriously if we appear prepared." With that, Aerun heads out to town. Minutes later he returns, shaking his head. "I...couldn't find anything marked 'Alhoon.'"

 


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 3/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alhoon.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	78594  
__________________
February may see slightly slower posting rates than usual.

Last edited by Trequs; 12-07-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 20680
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,133
Kral'zari
right-aligned image

"You speak wisdom Aerun." Kral'zari had to admin. "We need some supplies. They should be easy to get in Bloodfall, if we know what kind to acquire." Kral'zari called on his learnings of the Arcane to see if he could remember a way, with something accessible in this plane, to hold such a creature as the Alhoon. He didn't have much luck though.




OOCLocate Equipment and Supplies, Core Task DC 13 (Arcana): 9 - no setback, since this is a core task.

Really sucking up the checks with this group.



Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 3/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Everything still needs to be done except pictures. (Only waiting for Vallesh on that one)
__________________

Last edited by Bhelogan; 12-08-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Trequs's Avatar
Trequs Trequs is offline
Party Associate
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-27-2020
RPXP: 5950
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
Posts: 4,696
Inspired by Kral'zari's confidence, Aerun heads out once more to find supplies. Realizing it won't be as easy as simply finding the Alhoon section of the supply shop, he starts making some inquiries at the outer edges of town, tracking down the less popular suppliers who often specialize in unique items. Seventeen shops in a row, however, fail to satisfy his needs for even basic adventuring gear, much less the specialized equipment that would be needed for such a long and demanding journey.

He returns empty-handed yet again. "No doubt the other groups are having just as much difficulty. If anything, I suspect we're slightly ahead of schedule." His voice suddenly becomes a mumble: "Now if we can just accomplish one thing before the day is done..."

 


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 3/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Everything still needs to be done except pictures. (Only waiting for Vallesh on that one)
__________________
February may see slightly slower posting rates than usual.

Last edited by Trequs; 12-08-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Thepurp's Avatar
Thepurp Thepurp is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 2570
Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp Thepurp
Posts: 1,768
Kenji Watanabe - Human Fighter
(Sheet) (Application)


"Good work Aerun," said Kenji as the group left the prison. "That was some fancy talking back there. I believe you may have a career as a court magistrate once your days in the arena are done."

After the fiasco at the printers, it was decided not to pursue the flyer option at the moment. While Qiak-ko and Aerun worked on trying to find a relic to help in the search for the Alhoon and Kral'zari attempting to find supplies for the anticipated difficult journey to capture one of these elusive specimen, Kenji went about finding an arena sponsor for their cause. Although he was new to the city and did not have any influence with the arena bosses, he felt that getting one of them on board would go a long way in facilitating the process of preparing for the hunt and tracking down the elusive Alhoon.

But who to approach. Kenji hit the streets with the intent to visit every arena boss in the city if he had to. After having failed to gain entrance to even meet a single arena boss because no one knew who he was, he finally found himself at the arena offices for one of the biggest bosses in town if not in popularity then in actual size - none other than the Pork himself, Baron Ba'Bork.

"I would like to gain an audience with the Baron," said Kenji.

"State your name and business?" said the front desk clerk in a bored tone.

"I am Kenji, Kenji Watanabe, a gladiator here to give the Baron an opportunity to sponsor our monster hunt."

"Oh yeah, the monster hunt. What was that? Kenji you say? Never heard of ya. How do you spell that, with a 'K'?" said the clerk as he flipped through a ledger on his desk. "Hmm can't find you. You must be new in town. The Baron only meets with established players. He'd never sponsor novices like yourself."

"Please, I have tried all day with the other arena bosses," pleaded Kenji. "I just need one minute with the Baron to tell him about the incredible offer. Now you wouldn't want to be known as the one to have denied the Baron his chance at making a fortune, do you?"

The clerk looked at the samurai skeptically. "Hmm, well, I guess there is one way. You've heard of the Eat Off haven't ya?" Kenji nodded pretending to know. The clerk said,"Yeah the Baron loves an excuse to throw a feast and gorge himself. Wait here while I get this set up."

After an hour of waiting, Kenji was led to the back of the office through some double doors to what looked like a large banquet hall. In the middle of the room was a large banquet table upon which was placed a huge assortment of meats ranging from chicken to pork and kobold to owlbear. The mix of odors from the menagerie of cooked and raw meats was nauseating.

"Come in gladiator. So you're challenging me to an Eat Off? Excellent! I always loves me a good Eat Off," mumbled Ba'Bork spraying bits of pork ribs as he spoke. Looked like the Baron had a head start on the contest. "But you don't look like much of a challenge to me," said the Baron while sizing up his challenger.

"Well I may look small but it's the spirit, not the size that matters," said Kenji.

"Yes, yes. Whatever," laughed the Baron. "So you know the rules right? We both keep eating. The first one to puke is the loser." The Baron clapped his hands and two waiters place a plate full of disgustingly strong smelling kobold meat in front of each contestant. "Begin!" shouted the Baron as he dove head first into his plate. Although the smell alone nearly cause Kenji to vomit, the fighting samurai held his own... until the tenth plate, when the piece de resistance was presented - fermented owlbear meat. Kenji promptly puked all over the banquet table.

"Ha ha ha. Amateur!" laughed the baron.


OOCCon athletics check for Eat Off challenge to gain arena sponser = 17, fail

No setback because core challenge.


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 3/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Everything still needs to be done.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2018, 12:39 AM
Trequs's Avatar
Trequs Trequs is offline
Party Associate
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-27-2020
RPXP: 5950
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
Posts: 4,696
Aerun starts to feel a little anxious about the lack of success, and makes a rash decision to try to tackle another element of their expedition that needed to be addressed - establishing a concrete plan. He opens a heavy book from his backpack - a history of planar warfare - and goes to set it down on the table beside him. Something catches his foot as he turns, causing Aerun to trip and drop the book. In a vain effort to prevent it from hitting the floor, he kicks up at it with his foot. He connects, sending the book flying off to the side, where it plops neatly into the fire, while Aerun himself loses his balance and falls backwards onto the hard floor, losing consciousness.

 


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 3/4
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 0/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Everything still needs to be done.
__________________
February may see slightly slower posting rates than usual.

Last edited by Trequs; 12-09-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Vallesh's Avatar
Vallesh Vallesh is offline
Dastardly Dolphin
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 11-26-2019
RPXP: 7969
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Posts: 3,919
Qiak-KoQiak-Ko look around at the others after they gathered again, "Well comrades it seems the winds are struggling to blow at the moment. Perhaps there is a blockage somewhere, a stone that needs moving or a wall that needs knocking down…real or metaphorical." he raised his hand to his face and his talons tap on this beak as he thinks.

 


"Ah wait! I had a sketch of this alhoon as described to me by a vision blessed acolyte. I think it may explain our difficulties." He pulls the roll of parchment from his belt and flattens it on the table before him. Slightly different from the others sketches it shows a major clue. "Look! I thought it was a bit of a strange description when I first heard it but now I understand. The desiccated and peeling skin, the glow of the eyes, and protruding bone." He points at the various points on the drawing to emphasize his points. "I thought it was just injured but that's not it. No, those are the features of the living dead. This creature is an abomination clinging to false life past its normal span or body’s capabilities. This thing must be using the spirits to keep itself from being separated from its body." He nods proudly at his deductions, probably something he should have immediately realized but the monk was more instinct that brains.

Slamming the relic book on the table that Aerun had selected, "And this tome hurts my head telling me how to find living ones and I haven't even opened it! We need someone with a strong mental focus to call out to it using this tome and the weird sounds or words it's telling me. I've met a few people in Bloodfall who might be able to do that. Once we have its attention we can use the call to bring it to an undead binding circle; runes, blessings and the winds. It will stop the creature from escaping confining it in place. This I know a little about and there are definitely arena masters that can assist us with this sort of binding as I have faced many a poor trapped spirit." He nods solemnly at the plan. "Does this sound well to you comrades? Anyone else have experience with the undead?"

OOC Devise a plan to capture, without killing your Monster DC15 – Plan how to track and lure Alhoon into undead binding trap (Survival) – Success (18)


Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 4/4 (Edit Attached)
Easy (DC 10) 0/4
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 1/2 (Core Task Complete)
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: 1st Core task complete! We are dealing with an Undead Mind Flayer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181210_222043228.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	78611  
__________________
CO-DM of The City of Endless Arenas - We're always looking for new players!

Last edited by Vallesh; 12-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Bhelogan's Avatar
Bhelogan Bhelogan is offline
Druid of the Coast
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 02-26-2020
RPXP: 20680
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Posts: 17,133
Kral'zari
right-aligned image

Undead... he should have known that. In fact, he probably did, but it seemed some kind of supernatural force was actively trying to impede their expedition. The Gith knew that there might be something one can use to help protect oneself from the Undead, and so went to a nearby temple to find a priest to ask. He entered a sanctuary, to a god he didn't recognize, and started looking for a priest. A young man was there moping up between the pews, wearing robes that indicated he probably sang with the choir. "Excume me," he said, interrupting the cleaning task, "I'm looking for a Priest who can help with dealing with the Undead?"

The boy chuckled. "You think you need a Preist for that? Sure, they can help. But all you really need to know is that they hate Holy Water. Yup! Just a little sprinkle of the stuff kills or scares most of them away! The alter up front there has a basin in it filled with the stuff. You can fill a few vials if you like!"

Kral'zari didn't need to be told twice. Sure, he knew the Alhoon they were dealing with wouldn't be so easily deterred as the most basic of undead, but he bet they still wouldn't like this stuff, and it might be helpful to help control the monster.


OOCReligion - find out something about Undead, East Task DC 10 (History): 16



Task TrackerPicture (no DC) 4/4 DONE!
Easy (DC 10) 1/4 (Still need one from Qiak-Ko, Aerun and Kenji)
Moderate/Hard (DC 13) 0/4
Hard (DC 15) 1/2
Difficult (DC 20) 0/2

Setbacks 0/3
Major Setback: +2 to Charisma based check DCs
Next Step: Everything still needs to be done except pictures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB