RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1266
Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray Ballingray
Basic InfoPlayer's Name: Ballingray
Character Name: Caryss El’Var
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Motivation: Caryss wishes to help - though she might pretend otherwise, she is a kind hearted soul who wants to do right by the people of the Silver Marches.

Why have I come here, to the Marches of Silver? I am here for much the same reason you are. Inasmuch as you say you seek gold, riches, fortune and power, I know the truth of you as it is the truth of me. You come here seeking the path you have lost, and you are here seeking the truth of you.

PersonalityCaryss El’Var is as every bit the enigmatic soul as she appears to be. Outwardly, it appears that she enjoys speaking in riddles and rhymes. Indeed, Caryss enjoys tying up in knots those who futilely try and follow the confusing and labyrinthine strands of her constantly weaving and shifting persona. And indeed, in this case, appearances are not deceptive. Caryss enjoys the performance almost as much as she enjoys the result, and her strange persona is more than a carefully constructed image that is deliberately designed to confuse others and make them ill-at-ease — it is part of who she is.

She is flighty, yes. Fickle — sometimes. There is certainly a mercurial and sometimes tempestuous side to her personality. That said, deep down she is a kind-hearted soul who will not hesitate to lay her life down for her companions — she simply enjoys the aura of enigmatic uncertainty that surrounds her.

Caryss perhaps sways a little too much on the side of individuality and freedom of will and expression. She has little place or room in her heart for laws or rules, believing them to be confining for the sake of confinement. Although she often does it with good intentions and for the betterment of her friends, she thinks nothing of breaking said laws and restrictions placed upon her. She does, irrespective of everything that she appears to be, believe in the inherent goodness of others, and is often disappointed when those others inevitably come to disappoint her in some way.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, she repeats to herself and indeed, those who do let her down often do not get another chance to make amends with her.

One might ask what one such as Caryss was doing coming to this dangerous region, and they would be right to ask such a thing. And despite the answer that she would likely give you — that she is here to uncover not only the secrets of the region and the secrets hidden inside the hearts of those who travel with her whilst keeping her own secrets shrouded within a web of mystery, the true answer is simplicity itself.

It is here that Caryss feels most at peace and believes that she can do most good, fighting away against the creatures that would threaten the beleaguered peoples that make their home here.

BackgroundCaryss was born the daughter of a farmer living on the outskirts of Auvandell. Brought up by her father alone she never knew her mother, believing that the woman died giving birth to her, and her father, despite repeated asking, never told her who she was.

From an early age, although her father tried to instil in her the basics of duty, he was often vexed to find his only a child a free-spirited girl who would often chafe at restrictions and rules. And although he could never quite tame the rebellious girl, he was proud of the fact that she had within her a graceful and kind soul. She would go out of her way to help others if needed.

When Caryss entered her teenage years, she began exhibiting signs of the latent magic that was inside of her. She did not know what it was at first but as time went by Caryss began to exert some form of mastery over her innate magic, learning to conjure up a small ball of flame in her hand. Her first real lesson on the dangers of magic, and what it meant, came when she accidentally revealed her powers to the superstitious folk of Auvandell. Suddenly finding herself being branded a witch, Caryss was chased out of the village square. Sobbing and crying, she was found by a kindly woman, who comforted her in her sorrow.

The woman, speaking softly to Caryss, opened the palm of her hand, conjuring up a small ball of flame similar to what Caryss had done.

“Come to me, every evening when the sun begins to set. I will show you the truth of your power and teach you how to use it,” the woman said.

Caryss, in her youthful naivete, never thought to ask the woman’s motivations behind her actions and her aid.

Making a small lie to her father about her whereabouts in the evenings, Caryss slipped out on a daily basis to meet the woman, who referred to herself as Ariel. Her father, for his part, simply accepted the lie for what it was. Caryss learned a great deal from Ariel, and over the next year, was taught a great deal about controlling and harnessing her powers. During this time, Ariel drilled into her young student the need to keep her powers secret, to only let those she truly trusted see the depths of what she was capable of. Caryss took the woman’s lessons to heart, and over time, harnessed this ability to keep secrets to a fine art. Caryss learned how to weave half-truths, and to veil herself always in a shroud of secrecy, all the better to protect herself and the person that she would become with the power that she wielded.

“This is not your life. This is not who you were destined to be. The blood running through your veins was never meant to be spent living in a village, your power unused. One day, you will become a champion. You will defend those unable to do so,” Ariel told her student with a small tight-lipped smile, waving away her students protestations with a simple statement that he day she would understand.

A year passed, and in that time Caryss became a very capable spell-wielder in her own right, although she always took Ariel’s lessons to heart and kept them close.

Always maintain that aura of secrecy Caryss. It is your shield against those who would hurt you and use your powers for their own needs. Caryss lived the game, and she became very very adept at it.

One night, Caryss met Ariel at their usual meeting spot. The older woman nodded to her student gravely that night.

“There will be no lesson tonight Caryss, or again. I have taught you all I can and it is time for me to take my leave. And you.....you must learn walk your own path now and destiny.”

At Caryss’s protestations, Ariel simply smiled and shook her head. In this she would not be deterred. Finally, knowing she could not talk her mentor around, Caryss simply asked.

“Will I ever see you again?”

At that question, Ariel simply smiled that tight lipped smile and said goodbye.

Caryss never saw her again. The saddest part of all was the fact that Caryss never ever realised that Ariel was her mother.

Soon after, Caryss realised the truth of what Ariel had said. That inasmuch as she had always lived there, Auvandell wasn’t truly home. She did not know where was, or what her destiny was, but life in the village simply left her feeling unfulfilled. Knowing he would never accept what she was about to do, Caryss wrote a note one night to her father, telling him not to worry and that she would be safe.

Then she left Auvandell, where her travels would eventually bring her to Newfort.

What kind of Player am I?
How long have you been playing role-playing games? For almost twenty years now

How many games do you currently play in? 1, and one I’m currently advertising for as GM

What mediums do you use? Predominantly PbP, I love being able to tell stories and the level of interaction that can be afforded in PbP is a lot more than you can get in tabletop or online roleplay.

Do you regularly Gamesmaster or only play? Both

Describe a highlight from your gaming history. I once GM’d a dark fantasy game set in a world that had been overrun already by evil. The players knew coming into the game that their characters would likely never survive the game due to the nature of it.

One scene had the players attempting to save a group of imprisoned villagers from the enemy forces that had attacked and destroyed their homes. The enemy force there was overwhelming, and worse, the forces were led by immortal spirit creatures. These creatures could not be killed. The group, and the surviving villagers, were surrounded by the creatures. The fight looked hopeless, and in many ways it was, yet the emotion and the tension in the scene was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had in PbP.

I also got the chance to post this as an update:

It’s still my favourite GM update ever

Last edited by Ballingray; 12-21-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:36 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 349
MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer
I believe I am ready for review; let me know if I missed something.
Basic InfoPlayer's Name: MIniSchnauzer
Character Name: Martin deBois- Moonshadow in CommonIthilgwathren
Race: Half Elf
Class: Rogue
Motivation: To overcome obstacles and succeed; to become the best.Achievement

normal image without text wrap
Martin deBois-Moonshadow

PersonalityGruff. Brusque. Terse. These are words that would be kindly assigned to Matin. More operative words regarding him tend to be grumpy, irritable, and rude. However, he rarely raises his voice. He has a very particular mindset and thinks of himself more stubborn than ornery. Martin isn't a planner, never thinking before he acts and deciding how to best solve a situation. Fortunately he has enough wisdom that usually his rash decision do not turn out badly. Mostly he thinks, Moving about all quick, where does everyone have such a hurry to be?

BackgroundMartin lived a life betwixt worlds, not completely suiting the elven or human culture. The one thing he could rely on was his self. Xander studied under the clergy of Erevan Ilesere. Studious in his endeavors though not gifted with great intelligence, he learned all that he could about various subjects, from the esoteric and strange to the mundane and factual. Eventually, Martin grew restless within the temple's walls. He could not see himself living a life of stealing for stealing sake. He set out on a journey, seeking stories to tell, skills to hone, and discoveries waiting to be uncovered. Martin has decided he wishes to be the best rogue- not thief- of all time.

What kind of Player am I?
How long have you been playing role-playing games? I was born in '65 so I've been at it since the beginning.

How many games do you currently play in?I'm in a game IRL that meets every other weekend. Will be GMing one on RPG Xing.

What mediums do you use? Tabletop & PBP

Do you regularly Gamesmaster or only play? I just finished running a story-arc in Shadowrun. We rotate being the GM IRL except for one of us that just can't stand it.

Describe a highlight from your gaming history. Regularly playing with Frank Chadwick who designed Traveler Space 1889 and Twilight 2000 as well as numerous board games.
Granted, we mostly played Command Decision (his WWII miniature rules) and some Volley & Bayonet (his Napoleonics rules). Not only is he a fantastic rules writer and author he is even a nicer person.

Last edited by MIniSchnauzer; 12-30-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:26 PM
One Among the Fence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 640
Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom Wyrom
I too will need to withdraw. Everyone have happy gaming.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:27 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 349
MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer MIniSchnauzer
Just curious.

You stated that there is no multiclassing until after 10th level.

What level are we starting at?
Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 AM
Life's too short

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4754
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Thanks All for the applications and Merry Christmas. It’s Boxing Day here in Australia so I’m back on the boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIniSchnauzer View Post
Just curious.

You stated that there is no multiclassing until after 10th level.

What level are we starting at?
Characters will begin at first level. I can see why you might ask as the no-multi-classing-until-level-10 was from an earlier draft of the advert before Thanks again my sage advisor I took some advice and decided to run one 1st - 4th, 5th - 8th etc.tier at a time and instead of running right through to Although I might run the game to 20th if I can keep a dedicated band for that long 20th in one game. The intention is to foster group interdependence rather than each character being able to
left-aligned image
After 10th it becomes
less of an issue
as all the characters
begin to resemble Superman
do it all through multi-classing.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:14 AM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2383
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
"Jaemin Storm"
right-aligned image

Player's Name: Classic Gamer
Character's Name: Jaemin Storm
Race: Half Elf
Motivation: Power, Noble Ideals
Background Theme: Haunted One
Personality:
Level headed. Passionate. Everything that crosses Jaemin's senses or enters his mind will be assessed, evaluated, and determined if it merits a reaction, and if so, which one. That's not to say that he is emotionless. He can be quite passionate about the things that are important to him. He can also be quick with a smile or even a joke. He is extremely loyal to those he calls friends. Jaemin might lean a little more chaotic than lawful, but he knows the right boundaries. He also leans heavily to the side of good, but he's no saint. *wink*

Whatever you are doing, I can help you.

Background:
I'm not used to answering a bunch of questions. Wizards are a secretive lot, if not by nature, then by tradition. But if I want to join a truly dedicated band who will stand by each other's sides, and yours seems to be such a one, then I will have to open up... a bit.

You probably already know that Jaemin Storm is an assumed name. Wizards, secrets, secret names. Often a lot of bad choices. Like Iommi the Black, Robin Fire Eyes, and that ridiculous Glyph Warder. Jaemin Storm seemed a name suitable for a whisper or a parade.

Rumor has it that I am from Quaervarr. I will admit that I have spent many nights and even a few days at the Whistling Stag. Also that yes, I am from Luruar.

Magic manifested. I found a mentor. The usual story. Where my life gets interesting is when I was asked to help root out a group of... monsters, let's call them monsters. There are a lot of monsters in the Silver Marches. All different kinds. They killed a lot of good people. At this time, the entire land is unstable. I wouldn't mind helping stabilize things. You can say that is my motivation. Stabilization.

* I will try to update the pic with something a little more on point for the character once I find one that is suitable.

Last edited by Classic Gamer; 12-31-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:42 AM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer Classic Gamer
Oh, and Happy Boxing Day!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 PM
---ALL HEART---

Tools
User Statistics
And now, Happy New Year, everyone!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:12 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19096
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Same to you!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6045
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Anders Foundlingson
right-aligned image

Player's Name: Numen Wraith
Character's Name: Anders Foundlingson
Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)
Class: (College of Lore, Guild Merchant Background: tied to Map House of Silverymoon) Bard
Motivation: Anders would quickly align himself with the strongest Barbarian/Fighter/Paladin martial-type he could find, as he is way out of his leagueSelf-preservation

Personality: Anders is a timid man of modest appearance. Unlike some of the flashier purveyors of the same arcane arts, he's happy to let others take to the limelight while he fades away safely in the background. He's more at home with a cup of tea and a ledger of sales than in the presence of any kind of conflict.

Background: Anders Foundlingson was distraught. He was new to the Map House. Shouldn't they be picking a more experienced herald to travel to the Silver Marches? Why would they make his first trip one likely to kill him? Is he simply expendable?

'But sir!' he whined, 'I thought the deliveries would be to the castle, or the library! I didn't sign up for marches across... well, the Marches! I'm a small, scared man unworthy of this kind of trust! The Fork Road isn't safe! I'd surely be killed before I made it to Sundabar!'

The boss, a man that wore his years of experience like a cape across his shoulders was completely unswayed. He didn't even raise his eyes to meet the man. 'Then we'll save the trouble of having to pay you. However, since your death would result in the loss of the map, take Atriona with you. She'll keep you safe. Just deliver the map and return as quickly as possible.'

'Well, to make a long story short, I made it, and you owe payment. I don't care if the ink's run a little. I delivered it!' Anders pleaded, his wet and wrinkled clothes hanging barely off his body. He felt an unusual gumption roil in his belly as he yelled at the innkeep walking away from him, 'And a bath with that room'll do too!'

But sure enough, as he spoke up for himself, the door opened and the room erupted around him. Next thing he knew, he was forced outside as the mob pooled around him.

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 01-02-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Updating Motivation
Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Life's too short

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4754
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Happy New Year All and thanks for the new applications
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM
The Golden Apple

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 886
Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack Torack
Happy slightly belated New Years, everyone!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2527
TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil TomBombadil
Eldon Loopwocket
right-aligned image

Player's Name: Tombombadil
Character's Name: Eldon Loopwocket
Race: Gnome (Forest)
Motivation: Noble Ideals & Love For Exploring

Personality: Eldon is an ambivert by nature and as such can seem very wishy-washy in his interactions with others. One moment, he can be seen laughing it up in a tavern drinking ale, telling jokes and singing songs. The next minute, he can vanish off to the nearest forest as far away from humanoids as he can practically go. Often he can get lost in his own thoughts and become oblivious to his surroundings. However, he is extremely bothered by suffering of any type. The innocent creatures of the forest are suffering as well as the people of the Marshes and he can no longer sit by and allow this to happen without doing something about it.

Background: Eldon grew up in a forest in the Savage North. However, his forest was decimated by a Red Dragon and to his knowledge none survived except for him. Forced to live alone, his company primarily consisted of small forest animals and beasts. The alone time also allowed him plenty of time for him to master his studies. An avid reader, Eldon devoured any book that he could get his hands on. Books were his primary motivation whenever he would come out of the wilderness into the towns or cities of the Silver Marches. His love for reading drew him to the study of Magic and he was able to learn and pick it up quickly, fashioning himself to be a very competent new Wizard. However, the suffering that he experienced at the lost of his homeland never left him and as he traveled the world, he saw that same suffering shared from the innocent forest creatures and eventually, even the humanoids of the Silver Marches. With his initial wizardry training complete, Eldon is now ready to do something about it!

Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1748
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
The Dwarf
right-aligned image
Player's Name: Vathe
Character Name: Gurren Halfhaft
Race: Shield/Mountain Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Motivation: Dwarvish Pride
"Me home of Duinspeak once rested in them hard lands,
but the orcs and them nasty little goblins sent us running
years back. It's time someone did something about it!"

Personality: Honorable, amicable and tough as stone, Gurren wears his heritage on his sleeves. He is easy to understand, for the dwarf hides little of who he is, and he is even easier to set off. This dwarf is one of tirades and shouts and songs, believing deeply in his person that the one who speaks loudest is heard. And so he does, in peace and in battle, claiming the greatest mug for himself and the greatest kill to soon be upon his notched belt.

There are very few times he is quiet, but friends of the dwarf would know it always calls omen of a great storm of anger and drive, like a closed tap then drowning some poor, thirsty man. He cares greatly for friends and family, protective to any who he might feel close to, even those boring layabouts and the fellas with rods in their backsides. Welcome Gurren for an exciting life, for he will demand it!

Background: Born in the Silver Marches to a family of woodcutters, Gurren was raised with an axe in hand and the saying "blood does not stay warm" repeated to him over and over again. It meant many things to his family, but in the prime of his youth, to him, it meant his axe was for trees and not the glories of war.

And that was not something he was happy for, for his uncles and all his friends had been quick to take up arms to fend off orcs and goblins and dragons fierce. It was a life he thought stolen from him, but a dwarf heeds his elders and so Gurren did.

But bloodshed would be his destiny too, no matter the words he'd been taught. The line had broke and a horde of orcs and giants and goblins made their way through and to the edge town of Duinspeak, his home. They swept the place, driving his people out and stealing the land back from dwarven control. But on that day Gurren, the strapling dwarf with only chin hairs to his pride and an axe meant for wood, had stood his ground. Upon seeing his axe broken and chest slashed open many thought him dead. His family did.

But he survived, dragged out by fleeing guards and raised to health in southern lands. The people of Duinspeak had become refugees, scattering every which way, and after a year of searching with nothing to show for where his family had gone, fearing but heeding the possibility that they'd been run down in the attack, Gurren ended his search.

The following years he would act as a woodcutter, then in the winter times he would head further south to earn coin with the guardsmen turned mercenary who had once protected him. It was a decent life, but as he grew older Gurren's heart called to him. His pride demanded of him. He would need to return home, not only to ease his pride, but too his heart. If Duinspeak was reclaimed, would the family he'd lost return?

Was their blood still as warm as his?

The PlayerHow long have you been playing role-playing games?
Around 3 years now. I mostly play 5th Edition, but I have some experience with 4th and 2nd.
How many games do you currently play in?
A few not on the forums, most are slow and don't take up much of my free time.
What mediums do you use? Traditional table-top, online, virtual table-top, play-by-post?
Fantasy Grounds (VTT) and Discord Play-by-Post.
Do you regularly Gamemaster or only play?
Most of my experience is as a player, but I've acted as DM for a short adventure, some one-offs and currently DM for the Discord Play-by-Post game above.
Describe a highlight from your gaming history.
I used to DM for a couple guys at work in our off-time. One of them played as a goblin and had this awesomely pathetic-sounding goblin voice when he spoke in character. Since he's the only guy who professed an ability to open locks (he didn't, but he was a goblin so he could obviously do anything), the last time they played everyone was riding on him to break into their rogue's room to recover the party's war chest after she'd died. The room was heavily trapped, each trap specified by our lost player, so a lot of laughs were had while he freaked out trying to dodge arrows and fire and poison needles.

Last edited by Vathe; 01-12-2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added Character Art.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4240
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Application Ready for Review
Character Application
right-aligned image
Player Name: MoldyNolds
Character Name: Rolf da Minek
Race: Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Motivation: Coin
Alignment: Rolf is a mercenary, pure and simple. Usually surly and gruff, Rolf's demeanor does improve slightly whenever he gets paid for a job completed, although it doesn't last long and anytime he smiles it is usually done in derision or sarcasm. He does have a line; Rolf wouldn't murder innocents... probably. And he does intend for his victims to be bad people, preferably, but he has no illusions about being a hero or fighting the good fight. As long as he gets paid, he'll do whatever is asked of him to the best of his abilities.

Background: Rolf worked as a guild merchant, traveling the Marches for his masters and selling their wares. And he was good at it. He learned to defend himself on the road and made good money. But when the Dwarven clans got it in their thick skulls to hole up amidst all the emerging threats, Rolf got antsy. He couldn't sit idly by while there was money to be made in all the chaos. And he certainly wasn't going to work the mines, the payout was way under his previous rate. So he washed his hands of the Clans, even going so far as to drop his clan name and adopting da Minek instead which roughly translates to "of the Coin" in common.

What Kind of Player am I?
How long have you been playing role-playing games?
About five years.
How many games do you currently play in?
I have four current games on RPGX and I play in a home-game every Thursday with IRL friends.
What mediums do you use? Traditional table-top, online, virtual table-top, play-by-post?
Traditional table-top and play-by-post.
Do you regularly Gamesmaster or only play?
I GM my home game, PbP games are my opportunity to be a player.
Describe a highlight from your gaming history.
Recently I converted the 1st edition 7th Sea campaign "Freiburg" into the new 2nd edition and GM'd it to completion over the course of six months. I had a piece of art commissioned to commemorate my first successful GM campaign!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolf.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	78914  
Current posting status: Normal!

Last edited by MoldyNolds; 01-16-2019 at 03:36 PM.