RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Mysoth – Winds of Change
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18727
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
The BattlementsWith keys in hand, Red headed to where she knew Brandon kept most of his documents that pertained to the operations of Rythey. His manner had a small library filled with books and maps, and would be a great place to study history. But it wasn't where she could find out anything about recent events. Now, instead, she needed to go to the Observation tower, next to his manor. There, Captian Highwater would send and receive communications from the Council in El Stow, and other prominent Nobles in the land. He also kept notes of observations about caravans coming and going, and other things he could see from the large spyglass mounted there.

Walking down the ramparts, Red had to be careful to maneuver through and around the soldiers, frozen and immobilized. The sensation reminded her of what it would be like to cast a spell that stopped time briefly, used by very strong Wizards to alter events as they happen. There was no countdown timer, however, until the soldiers would spring back to life. Based on their previous experience with the dwarf, the Soldiers probably did not survive the attack that froze them.

Red opened the door and entered Captian Highwater's unofficial office to find a table and desk, organized with drawers, log books, a map of the region on the wall, and scrolls. There were cages here used to house homing pigeons, a common method of communication, but they were all currently empty. She noticed the log book mentioning and tracking caravans traveling to and from the El Stow region, but then something else caught her eye almost immediately. At first, it was the handwriting that jumped out, the style was very distinctive and identifying. It was from Bob, the head of the Wizard Academy in Hay Field.

Reading the letter was like only hearing one half of a conversation. Brandon and Bob knew each other well it seemed. The first paragraph was talking about Max herself. Bob was trying to give Brandon council on how to handle a mage that seems to have a lack of respect for authority. Wielding the arcane had an order to it, but it didn't have a lot in common with the type of order found in the military. The last sentence though was a shock. Bob said he was glad that Brandon saw the high potential Maxine Beauvilliers that he had observed in the Academy, and was glad that despite their arguments, Brandon still held great respect for her. Perhaps, once he was no longer her captain, the relationship could be mended.

The next paragraph had some good news in it. Bob said that Zlog and Garaele had arrived at the academy, and were under observation. Their condition was progressing, and it seemed there was no known way to cure or stop it. But, where the condition led to, what was their ultimate prognosis was still undetermined.

The letter ended with a warning. In all of his experience and adventures, Bob found White Dragons to be the least reasonable and social and had the lowest intelligence of the lot. The best way to deal with them, is avoidance.

A Prayer to BruhahaPavel prayed, for real, for the first time in his life. He knew the mannerism of it, but had no real practice. He didn't know what to expect, so simply waited, eyes closed. A few moments passed, giving him time to think and reflect on the task ahead. Then, in his mind's eye, he saw something. It was small at first, a pale gleaming ball of light. It quickly grew larger and large, until Pavel could see the source. Legs folded, floating as if flying in a magic carpet, though none were there, he saw the image of an incredibly fat man. He was bald, and naked except for a loin cloth, but he radiated an incandescent glow like a lamp. In this vision, Bruhaha's mouth did not move, but he heard his voice speak to him. It was an unearthly low, yet pleasant tone. "Pavel, child," he began. "You seek my aid, and ask forgiveness. Your quest is noble, but what is in your heart? Are you truley ready to follow my path?"

OODMWe will let these scenes play out before Alahk can make it back. Realistically, it would probably take a day to make it to the Aarokocra and back to Rythey, but I think narativly it will be better if he is there for whatever the group decides to do next.

Craigthulu - is Pavel looking to MC as a priest, or just to become a follower? If he accepts the invantation from Bruhaha, there are a couple of ways that could play out. One, would be the multi-class (which would require a WIS buff). The other, would be to adopt some mechanics from Mordenkainen's Tomb of Foes, used to grant boons specific to the demon worshiped. But, it may be a moot point, depending on what Pavel is really looking for here.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5760
Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep Skep

The letter falls lazily back onto the desk—in fact, it falls on top of a second letter, one that Pavel had once snuck a peak at in this very room—as Red drops it to bury her face into her hands. Her prior behavior was, perhaps, irrational, and a little too unfair on the captain. Her crisis of identity had, in all likelihood, been inevitable... but maybe she hadn’t needed to make Brandon the catalyst of it all. Maxine Beauvilliers should have died by her own hand—not by his.

Her body slacks as she leans back in the captain’s chair. For a few moments that last nowhere near as long as they feel, she considers the events that transpired the last time she was here, and what must have done since. She fidgets with the double-looped ring she wears, sliding it up and down her fingers to distract her body while her mind wanders, wondering what the soldiers thought of her, speculating how much warning they'd had before the attack. Gradually, though, the ring itself begins to slip into her thoughts. What had Father Pavel said about the spell it holds? Bring the soul back to a lifeless body...?

Funny how easy it was to forget about that power when the ring itself restricted her hand every single day.

Red sits and contemplates a little while longer, then exits to return to the walls where Captain Highwater awaits, taking the letter from Bob with her.

————————————

"Before I do this, I need to say something," she addresses the captain directly. His expression—determined, defiant, and yet, saddened by the inevitable doom—does not change. "I shouldn’t have left the way I did. I didn’t know what was going on... I didn’t know about your sister." The young wizard turns to look over the ramparts. "And I was angry. Before you gave the order to fire the ballista, I felt like I had everything under control. It might have been the first time I’d felt that way. But you didn’t even give me the chance to prove myself."

"At least, that’s what I thought. It was what I wanted to think." She chuckles, but the sound is one of melancholy. "I wonder if you ever knew how I fumed every time you unwittingly ordered us into a bear attack, or a kobold ambush, or a literal dragon’s den. How many nights I... decried—! your reluctance to send the career soldiers in our place! But now... now I can see what I couldn’t back then. What I wouldn’t allow myself to see back then." She turns to address Brandon directly, looking into eyes that could only stare beyond her. "You sent us out on this investigation because you trusted our capabilities. You trusted... me. You were giving me the chance I yearned for all along."

She looks down briefly at the stone walkway, once more fiddling with the arcane ring, before raising her eyes back up and taking a deep breath. "The threat of the yuan-ti… all of this that's going on… it's crazy. Absolutely insane. I came back here, in spite of the risk, after what I did, because I wanted your help. But now…" Red smiles warmly enough to all but cut through the ice, and slips the ring back on firmly in place. "I don't think I need it anymore."

Standing tall, she salutes her superior officer, for what is quite possibly the first time. "Thank you, sir."

But she doesn't leave right away. "...Actually, there is one thing I want. I hope you don't mind terribly."

It takes a deal of wrenching, and a good deal more cussing and grunting, but the shield is soon removed from Brandon's possession. Into its place, she puts the letter, onto which the following has been penned in her usual neat, flowing script:

Quote:
If, through some miracle, you're seeing this... I'll be back.

Red Maxine Red

In front of the letter, on display for the world to see, she leaves a card—the King of Spades.

————————————

A varied selection of largely-untouched paints is a lucky find in Danny's belongings. The woman takes them, along with the shield, to the mess hall and sets to work.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14721
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Sitting in the presence of a god altered the way Pavel saw the world. He knew that gods existed, all the priests and an army Yuan Ti believed in them. Pavel just never really believed that gods cared about people. Kneeling before an altar and hearing Bruhaha speak was beyond comprehension.

Was he ready to follow the path of Bruhaha, what was in his heart. "When I arrived here I was bitter and lonely. My lot in life was harder than everyone else's. My service here was a barrier that stopped me from getting revenge on Agustus." He could have lied but lying to a god would be pointless. Lying to himself was something he was adept at. "The truth is that my life was hard because I made it hard. I was lonely because I turned away friendship and spurned mentors who wanted me to better myself. I want to be a better person than I used to be. Agustus should be brought to justice for his crimes. The dragon that did this to the fortress is a danger to El-Stow and should be dealt with."

If the white dragon attacked this fortress it could destroy a town if it desired. Letting a beast like that run free was not an option. Swearing revenge would be meaningless. The dragon attacked out of revenge and spite. Killing the dragon might be necessary but a solution would have to be found. Compared to a dragon, Agustus was barely a concern.

"Revenge isn't something I need anymore. If I fail today a lot of people will pay the price for me. I need help to prevent this catastrophe. Bruhaha, how do I stop the serpent god?"
Old 01-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2786
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

The current state of the encampment was something that Brom had never seen before. There was absolutely no life to be found and everything was eerily quiet. Only the movements of his friends broke the stillness. Pavel had ventured down the frozen street to the temple where he was presumably taking care of whatever dismantling he had mentioned. Red had ventured off her own way towards the barracks office. Brom was left to his own devices.

After having set the smokey fire that would hopefully warn Alahk of some kind of danger Brom canvassed the rest of the settlement. He was not familiar with any of the inhabitants and only looked in horror at each of the frozen bodies he had come across. The look frozen on each creatures face was imprinted in the cleric's mind. He was not able to help any of these people and a certain evil must have been present to do this to them all.

Brom took time to visit the stores and kitchens to grab whatever supplies that he could for whatever travels lay in front of the group.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

"“Hey Brom... can I ask for your help with something? I’d ask Pavel, but... well, if he’s still in the church, it’s probably not a good idea to interrupt."

With Red one again riding Allouette, and Brom atop Pavel’s horse Hoofy, the two make their way back out toward the crossroads.

"I feel really bad about doing this, but there aren’t any better options. Here—right here should be good." She dismounts easily, then checks to make sure the horse’s girth is still fitting snugly. "Just leave the saddle on. More likely someone will notice a tacked horse without a rider."

"Are you ready to be a good girl for me?" She asks Allouette, and begins laughing as the horse brushes her lips against Red’s neck. "Ha, that tickles, cut it out! Heh, you probably knew I had these the whole time, didn’t you?" She draws two apples out of her bag, and tosses one to Brom. "Grip it tight, so he can take a bite from it. Here, like this," she shows the dwarf, unsure of his familiarity with horses. "That’s okay, they can eat the cores, too."

As Allouette munches happily on whatever mush remains of the apple, Red draws a sealed envelope from her pouch, and places it into her saddlebag. Within the envelope is a note, which reads:

Quote:
To whomever discovers this message, please deliver it into the hands of the garrison at Hay Field, or the archmage of the Wizard Academy.

Rythey Fortress has been compromised, its soldiers fallen prey to a dragon. Now an army of yuan-ti marches west, finally able to re-engage their plan to sacrifice their enemies to feed their god’s power.

We are attempting to destroy the altar that is imperative to their operation; though, we number only four. Success does not seem likely, but we must try to do this regardless.

Ready yourselves for what may come.

On behalf of Pavel Sil, Bromkuhn Dunfal, and Alahk of the Aarakocra,

I am,

Red
QoD

P.S.— This is Allouette. I would like to return for her, but as this may not be possible, take good care of her. She prefers apples.
A similar note is placed with Hoofy as well.

Red wraps her arms around the mare one last time, burying her face into the furry neck. "I hate leaving you like this, but it’s the only way you’ll stand a chance," she says guiltily. "Stay safe, okay? That's the most important thing. But if you wouldn't mind maybe heading in the direction of Hay Field, that would be good too." It's not likely that Allouette understood any of that, but the wizard is unperturbed by this fact. "I'll try to come back for you, I promise."

She cracks her whip to spur the horses down the west road. Then she turns to walk back to the fortress.

At least the paint would be about dry by the time she returned.

"So Brom," she starts, to fill the silence. "What are you going to do next? You know, if we make it through this?"
Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi Trmmilwwi
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

Brom joined Red in taking the horses out to the well worn main road and he jumped aboard Hoofy for a short ride out of town. At first he wasn't sure if they were on an errand or some other task was at hand, but then he noticed the serious look in Red's eye. She clutched 2 pieces of paper and was determined on only watching the crossroads getting nearer. She spoke silently to her horse as she dismounted and Brom jumped off his mount as well.

The dwarven cleric stood by Red with a solemn stare. He understood the gravity of the moment and gave Red the time and space she needed. He joined in giving each of the horse one last nibble and than gave Hoofy a hard pat on the backside to send him off.

"So Brom, what are you going to do next? You know, if we make it through this?" Brom thought for a few seconds before answering with, "Well, to be honest I found you and Pavel as I was on a fact finding mission about my ancestors. My families clan has been lost and our history is vague at best... I am hoping to find out more by researching the neighboring clans to discover our history which is layered among the others... I was starting with the Silver Vein and White Gold but now this link to the Black Gold found you, and thus me." The dwarf slapped his breats plate at the mention. "Humphhh... who knows... maybe my family has some black in them also." They continued walking along the path back to Rhythey when the dwarf felt like he should add another hint at his thoughts. "I quite like the company I am keeping now however... I think we are all finding ourselves in one way or another." The dwarf's eyes immediately jumped to the top of the temple where Pavel was likely busy with his own tasks.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan Bhelogan
Pavel felt as if his soul was being seared in intense heat as his vision continued. Humbly, he asked for guidance. He knew that if nothing was done, there would be severe consequences. But how to stop the serpent god? That was foremost on his mind. "It pleases me that you seek to stop the suffering of others," he heard the Voice of Bruhaha respond. "I will grant you the aid of those who follow me. There is much which troubles you. It is too much for one alone to solve all of the world's problems though. Seek where you can make the biggest difference, and apply yourself there. Now, you asked how to stop the Serpent God? Or rather, how to protect El Stow from her army? There is balance in all things. Only an army can stop an opposing army. There is little you can do alone, but raise the voice of warning." The vision ceased, though Pavel felt he still had some kind of a link to the Deity to whom he had prayed. There was little in specific guidance given, but Pavel could feel that if needed, he could Access to the Benefits of Followers of Bruhaha outlines in the Journal.Call on Bruhaha's name for aid.

Supplies had been gathered, and prayers answered as Pavel, Brom and Red gathered just outside the stables inside Rythey. There was a tunnel beneath them that would lead to the Snake temple, and Alter. The Alter, Pavel had designed to desecrate with Holy Water. Alahk was spotted in the sky, returning. He was alone, unfortunately. It seemed that the soldier's numbers, despite their best effort, was limited to the four they had here. Inside the barn, behind where they hay was kept, the way had been cleared to lead to the tunnels below. The trap door was lifted, and light flooded in from above. The Soldiers made their way down into the tunnel and started on the winding paths downward.

The Soldiers knew, not far off, was the door with the ape face on it, which they first encountered months ago. As they neared, over their footsteps, they heard the sound of crying. It was a child's voice, whimpering from fear. Then, screaming, then back to crying. They recognized the voice as that of the Highwater's grandson, Danny. At from the sound of it, he was sleeping through a nightmare.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3955
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk
left-aligned image
The journey down was easier than the journey up. Still, Alahk flew hard. He had found long ago that the best way to hold at bay his thoughts was to exert the body to the exclusion of all else.

As Rythey neared, he felt the same feeling of dread that had arisen in his village. The young warrior had flown into the keep once before, but then there had been soldiers manning the wall and lookouts to block their way. Now the waypoint was nothing more than cold stone and crystalline statues, horrible in their beauty.

He landed hard in the center of the keep, his wings burning. Pavel was nowhere to be seen, but he caught sight of Red and Brom approaching from the outer gate. He saw composure in the dwarf, confidence in the path despite the road they found themselves on. Red was firm-faced as ever, though Alahk felt a pang of emotion as she came into focus. He felt the pain hiding beneath the surface as if it were his own.

He waved, a half-hearted greeting that displayed Plzen's mask for the others to see. Alahk clacked his beak. There was nothing else to say, not when he held the most sacred relic of his clan in his claw. He shook his head and blinked what might have been a tear from his eye, then fell in behind the others.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu Craigthulu
Pavel left the church, a barrel of blessed wine over his shoulder, the Bruhaha symbol around his neck and two vials of holy water next to a golden chalice. His religious arsenal seemed as complete as it was likely to get. If Pavel had been terrified entering the fortress he left the church feeling centered and focused. The grim expression mixed with fear and anxiety that was on his face was replaced be calm demeanor.

Bruhaha told him that he couldn't stop the Seprent God alone but he wasn't going down into the fortress alone. His companions would be with him the entire way. Heading to the stables he saw Hoofey go out the gate at a gallop. There wasn't much more to be said as they opened the door down to the tunnels.

Walking down the hall Pavel heard the sounds of crying child. Danny had managed to find refuge down in the tunnels. Moving forward Pavel tried to find the source of the noise. There were only a handful of locations Danny could be unless extra tunnels had been added over time.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

Brom was happy to see Alahk returning from the horizon beyond. He did not have any other flying creatures along with him but he was safe. The dwarf half figured that somehow the birds were in cahoots with the snakes or the centuars but knew that was not the case as his friend touched down. "Welcome back.. glad you are safe and sound friend."

After collecting a few supplies the four friends headed down into the tunnels. Pavel and Red said it would be the safest retreat and Brom was inclined to believe them. He followed behind taking it all in for the first time. When the crying was heard the dwarf grabbed his warhammer and readied for whatever was down the tunnel.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Ruins the Magic

Tools
User Statistics

Having no other loose ends to tie up, Red, as prepared as she'll ever be, reports her readiness to Pavel. A shield is now strapped across her back; the symbol of Rythey has been removed to the fullest extent she was able to do so, and what remains has been painted over with a stylized crimson diamond.

"I'd like to get it professionally done," she replies when prompted, examining the surface of the metal to determine just how crooked she made the sides of the shape. She's never sparred with a shield before, and isn't keen to do so now, but its weight on her back is oddly comforting.

Alahk returns alone, empty-handed but for the mask Red had seen before—the one they had returned. There can be no doubt what his possession of the mask can mean, no question the reason for his lonesomeness. Red's heart sinks for her friend. Returning to see the state of the fortress had been dismaying enough, and she'd really only been here a number of days. For Alahk... that village isolated in the mountains probably represented his entire life.

But there is nothing more to do. There is nothing more that can be done. Once again, the woman descends down into the depths, wondering whether this might be the final time she sees sky.

—————————————

"Danny?" she calls out, her chest pounding in response to the whimpering and screaming echoing from the boy. "He can hear me, right? Surely he's not asleep?" she asks the others rhetorically, her voice low; but she's quickly back to calling again. "It's just us. We're coming to find you, all right? You're going to be okay."

That was probably a lie, but she did want it to be true. "He can't be far off. Let's go find him first."
Old 02-15-2019, 08:32 AM
Druid of the Coast

Tools
User Statistics
There really was no challenge in finding Danny. A fork in the tunnel led two directions. One, down to the tower. The other towards the door with the ape face. The sounds of Danny were from the direction of the door. Making their way down the short tunnel, the Soldiers found the room with the door, lit by a torch nearing the end of its useful life. Danny lay on the floor, still asleep. "Shhh!" The ape on the door said quietly. It had no finger to put to its lips, but it would have were the appendages available. "He is still sleeping. Quiet now, it is the first time he has slept in days."
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Bromkuhn Dunfal
right-aligned image

The group descended into the tunnels with somber and melancholy spirits. For the first time in many days no one really talked much. Alahk had just arrived back and was very quiet, even more than the aarakocra usually has been. Pavel and Red seemed to be battling their own demons and Brom was unsure that the demise of the entire fort meant they wouldn't meet the same fate. Every corner they turned presented a challenge for the cleric.

He held the amulet tight as the group walked down the tunnels... Pavel and Red had been here before but Brom was still a bit unsettled. He knew that his people evolved to live underground but Alahk certainly wouldn't survive mentally for long stretches. Brom followed behind the other 3 and let them lead the way. When they reached the whimpering child sleeping by the door with the ape - the one that Brom was prepared for this time - the cleric took a knee next to the child to check his health.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Walking into the small now open vault it was impossible to miss Danny sleeping on the floor. The Ape Door gave a good indication of how long the poor child had been down here. Rytheys current state had all ready told Pavel what Danny had endured.

When The Ape Door told them to be quiet Pavel nodded. Setting his pack down carefully Pavel took out two sets of rations and laid them on the ground. He took out five candles and lit them from the dwindling torch. Taking a last drink from his water skin Pavel left the remainder next to Danny.

There wasn't time to wait for him to wake up or explain what they were doing down here. "When he wakes up tell him that Maxine and Pavel are going to try to fix things. He should wait for us here." If they failed then Danny wouldn't be in a worse position he was in now. Ignorance would be kinder than knowing just how much of a long shot this venture really was.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Creature of the Deep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3955
Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith Nasrith
Alahk
left-aligned image
Alahk followed the others once again into the earth. Watching the sun wink out and knowing that many feet of earth separated him from the open sky was no easier the second time. Reading the others' facial expressions and body language, he understood the cry was something to be investigated, but not to be feared.

It was a good sign, he realized in a roundabout way. It meant that somebody had survived. When they rounded the bend and he was faced with the curled up boy, he felt a pang of envy. Why did someone from the human tribe survive when none of his kin had been so lucky?

This thought was followed by a stabbing guilt. These were his allies - friends, even! He should feel happy for them. That anyone at all they knew had survived the mysterious frost was a miracle. He tried to summon a modicum of cheer at what Red and Pavel must feel, but it was crushed under yet another thought.

What if some of the hatchlings had survived, and he hadn't searched hard enough?

Hidden in shadow while the others focused on the sleeping boy, the aarakocra stiffened. Had he left too early? Missed something? He tried to settle his mind with cold logic, the way he imagined Red might. His people didn't age the way humans did - there were few 'young'. Alahk had been hatched years after the boy before them and he was already a full-fledged warrior. Anyone over a few months would have flown to the tribe's defense, and he couldn't think of a single hatchling younger than that.

The reasoning was sound, but did little to settle his guilty conscience. With thousands of pounds of earth weighing down upon him and these thoughts clutching at the edge of his mind, the warrior trudged along behind the others.