Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > FATE > Holiday with the Smiths
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13687
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Luckily, Billy stops and turns around. Bea wasn't about to go running after the man. There isn't exactly a deep familial connection there - she barely has one with Randy, or her son nowadays, much less a pseudo-estranged cousin.

He says there isn't a fight going on. She nods in a confused-knowing sort of way, and buttons up the coat that she had haphazardly thrown on. "Well. That's good. He made it sound like you were going to go AWOL. We can't have any of that," she wags her finger in a mimic of a schoolmarm. One of the many cars is parked nearby. It's still a little warm from its drive over. She brushes off a few snowflakes that have accumulated, and lean-sits on its hood.

"I can't believe you're coming here to put up with all this nonsense. Your Uncle Tom - is he an uncle to you? whatever - is in there ranting about the good guys and bad guys. Mom is shaming everyone into behaving like good little brainwashed stooges from the 50s. Lawyers are almost literally hovering overhead," she lets out an overwhelmed sigh, and pats her empty coat pockets. Damn, left the joints in my handbag. "You got any cigarettes I can bum? You smoke? I don't. Except sometimes... Anyways, if this wasn't my family, I'd be willing to pay to avoid all this stuff. I mean! You're family, of course. But, y'know, FAMILY family."

Bea is clearly letting her metaphorical hair down, here in the cold November evening air away from the hothouse inside. It helps that Billy doesn't come weighted with the same emotional baggage of pretty much everyone else on the property. "Anyways, how ARE you though? If you're here, I'm thinking: could be better? It could always be better, right? Sh**, there's a million ways I could be better. I guess mom thinks that's what she's giving us. You going to be better, if you end up successfully suffering your way through this weekend?"

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 02-19-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1504
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Billy White

Billy had to work extra hard to keep a scowl from his features when Bea waggled a finger at him. Where he came from, sticking a finger in someone's face was inviting them to stomp a mudhole in your ***. Then again, Bea was a woman, and didn't play by the same rules as back home. Probably thinks she's being charmin', he thought sourly as he shifted uncomfortably. Jesus, he was in a pissy mood, and for a dumb reason. But, despite telling himself that he was being stupid, he still couldn't fight down that angry, hot ball in the pit of his gut. Why don't she quit her yammerin', an' let me go drink? he groaned inwardly.

Confusion brought him out of his sulking somewhat...who the hell was Uncle Tom?? Oh... "Cousin," he said, his eyes shifting up and back as he mentally followed the family tree branches that led from him to Tom. "You, Tom, James, and Randy are all my cousins." He didn't think Bea was that much older than he was...a couple years, maybe? She'd ridden a much rougher road, he figured, following the hippie lifestyle, or whatever it was. Billy had his share of gray, but the mountain air and hard work had done him some good.

"Sounds like I cleared out at a pretty good time," he said with a very slight smile as he dug out a pack of smokes, shaking the pack to extend one for Bea. He then took one for himself...he was trying to quit again, but when everything went down, he'd figured 'What the hell?' and bought some. He lit her cigarette, then his, with a pack of matches that read "BB&T" in gold type on the red cover.

Taking a slow drag, he exhaled, watching the smoke cloud appear even thicker and whiter when mixed with the steam from his breath as Bea blathered on about family, and whether or not Billy qualified as family family. He had to admit, he didn't really feel like he fit in among the others, except maybe Randy. And it was probably better if he waited a bit before talking to him again...wait until he cooled off, had a few beers, or whatever. Wasn't his dang fault, he reminded himself again, though that pit was still burning.

"Doin' alright, I guess," he said, still watching the steam and smoke curl and dissipate into the air. It was a total lie, but he didn't figure Bea really cared that much. It was just what you said to someone who went storming off so they wouldn't do something stupid. How have you been? How's things? How's work going? Pretty much every question that could be asked as small talk would probably draw a lie, but it was just formality. Nobody who asked how you were really wanted to hear it. Doing alright. Things are fine. Staying busy, just plugging along. Planning a 3-state murder spree, how're you?

The last one made him chuckle slightly, which he played off as a response to Bea talking about suffering his way through the weekend. "I appreciate you comin' out here, Bea," he said, and this one he actually meant. Well...mostly. "But, y'ain't gotta sit out here in the cold, keepin' me company. I was just gonna go find a place to get a b-...aw, hell!" His eyes widened a moment and he pushed his cap back along his head to lay a hand across his forehead. "I was gonna go marchin' off fer God knows how far, an' Randy has a whole case sittin' right there!"

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess

Last edited by Andor; 03-17-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:08 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4579
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Randall
right-aligned image
Randy finds himself almost nodding along with Tom’s perspective on Bea. Almost. Everything that Tom says is probably true and it likely comes from a place of vast experiences. Logic is certainly on Tom’s side here. Yet, when it comes to family, there is little room for logic and plenty of room for emotion! Yes, Bea had caused some problems and the hurt is certainly not lost on Randy, but she is still his sister. And Tom? Who the hell is Tom? Only really family when he agrees with the family. Sure Randy likes Tom well enough – always good to Arabella, reasonable person when he isn’t judging people, and generally pleasant to be around - yet Randy can feel the blows of the character attack as surely as if they were punches thrown by Tom. Perhaps it is still the lingering expectation of the physical blows that never came from Billy, but Tom’s verbal assault feels just a bit too real.

Before Randy can even pause, the frustration comes bubbling out, "She isn’t one of your criminals, Tom! She doesn’t land in some stupid statistical database. And who the hell are you to decide if she is remorseful?" At this point Randy’s brain has finally caught up with his heart and his eyes widen just slightly in surprise. Too late to change direction now. He hadn’t intended to escape one argument just to start another, yet that is exactly what has happened. "That is my sister you are talking about and I, for one, will not stand here and let you judge her. Bea isn’t perfect and there are some wounds that need to heal still, but picking at old scabs just to prove that you are better than someone isn’t going to help anyone this weekend!" Randy can feel his heart thudding rapidly and the heat emanating from his face is not just from coming inside from the cold. He and Tom had almost always been of similar mind in the past, but they hadn’t really touched on the family history in any depth before. Before Tom can interject, Randy's mustache quivers with each word as he states – louder than intended – "We don’t need to revisit problems! We need solutions!" Randy slaps his hand on the nearest counter to emphasize ‘solutions’. The stinging in his palm feels good - something physical that he can latch onto rather than the intangible emotions.

Randy stands staring at Tom. At some level he is probably defying Tom to argue, but mostly he is just trying to recover and gain back his senses. As his mind races following his outburst, it struggles to settle on anything definitive – except for one thing: a physical altercation with Billy would have been highly preferable to a verbal one with Tom!

Last edited by Roekahs; 02-22-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5213
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
J.A.
right-aligned image
Tom was a typical cop - undereducated and convinced he knew everything because he'd been coercing confessions out of poor people for years. His reply to Randy proved it. James was done with him, resolving that the next time they'd lay eyes on each other after this weekend would be at a wedding or a funeral. Tom was simply excised - like a tumor. Grabbing a can of something at random from the fridge and turned back around as Randy lit into the pathetic old cop. "Kid's got some fire," he thought.

"You're tired, Tom? I'll tell you this - we're tired of you, your judgment, and your smug superiority, too. This is not your place." James paused. "Randy, I'm going to find something else to do for a bit. No sense in talking to someone who figured out all the answers 40 years ago." Wanting nothing more than to drop-kick Tom into the street, James calmly walked from the room, the leather soles of his shell cordovan oxfords loud on the tile floor. A moment later, up in his room, he flipped open his laptop. He'd had an idea, and didn't want to lose it in the drama sure to come.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4411
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
"I wonder if he knows how much like Charles he is?" Tom says out loud about the departed James. The same mistaken self-righteous sense of superiority. James and and Beatrice shared the way they treated people, with barely concealed condensation. Not for the first time Tom wondered if Arabella and Randall were somehow secretly adopted, given how unlike they were to their siblings. He admired Randall for his ability to see the best in everyone, despite his long experience of disappointment. Tom however was loads more cynicism from his many years as a cop dealing with crooks, then as a police chief dealing with politicians. Tom preferred dealing with the criminals. Suddenly Tom feels old. Sorrowfully he says. "That's the problem Randall, I don't think there is a solution."
Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13687
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Bea gives Billy a quick, "Thanks," and allows him to light her cigarette. She draws and exhales like someone who smokes 2 packs a day, though she was more-or-less honest when she said that she didn't smoke, nowadays. She sits on the hood, pensively, as she smokes and listens to Billy's responses. Billy finds the Porch Beer, and cracks one open, but Bea declines to partake. She lets him drink as she quietly smokes.

Finally, she breaks the silence. "Y'know, Billy. It's good you're here. This family has a lot of stories going on. Everyone is telling themselves that they're all so good and honest and right. They're so scared to do something wrong. It makes 'em scared to live. You know what I mean?" She pauses here to take a few puffs, but the question is mostly rhetorical. She looks at the glowing little ember in her hands, "But we all need to live our lives. And if that makes some of us the bad guys for others, well, that's the way it's got to be."

She stands up and brushes some snow off her bum. She points to Billy. "You're lucky. You get a chance to pick sides. You can be whoever you want to be. You can stay above the fights. You're our little Bodhisattva, outside the circle of karma. Maybe you can show us all the way. Ma says that we gotta be a family, but the rest of us are all stuck inside this house's wheel of time. The pigs keep coming back, pinning my old sins against me." She's mixing metaphors and theologies at this point, but consistency has never been her strong suit. "They want me to be the bad guy. Always the bad guy. Can't ever escape it, no matter how many times I'm reborn." She ponders that glowing ember again, and finishes up ominously. "You have a good night Billy. Think about it. Are you going to STAY above the fight, or are you going to pick sides?"

Bea strides purposefully back into the house, cigarette still burning in her lips. She stops in the entryway to rummage through her handbag for a 40s-style metal cigarette case. Case in hand, she enters the kitchen again with coat and shoes still on, stomping past James without acknowledgement. She looks at the group gathered there. She looks at Tom, smoke curling around her. "We're here to be a family. You wanna play cops and robbers that's fine. I'll be a robber." She takes the lit cigarette in her fingers, shows it to him, and then she snuffs it out, right in the food Tom is preparing. She grinds the butt for a moment, causing a short sizzle and some new non-tobacco smoke.

"I'm HERE for this family. If you can't believe that, if you can't be on my side, then that's YOUR problem. I've changed, and I'll change again, and I'll change again. You're stuck. You can either take our help to pull yourself along, or you can drown in your little mudhole, right in front of poor mom." The light snow that was falling outside has melted in Bea's hair, giving if a half-wet, half-frizzy look. Her eyes look more than a little wild. She flips open her metal case and pulls out a white tube, like a cigarette, though clearly not a cigarette. She hangs it from the corner of her mouth, and pats her pockets, then shouts "God DAMN it!" Billy gave her the light; she doesn't have one.

She grabs the joint out of her mouth and points it at Tom. "You can be on the family's side, or you can be stuck, and drown. Think about it." She turns around and storms off. She waves the joint at Randy half-accusing, half-playful. That threat applies to you, too, buddy. Also, this joint is going THAT way. Are you coming? Surely retorts follow what she said and did, but they don't stop her. She takes her green nightcap and heads to the basement. Her teenage bedroom is down there, in that floor that is half-finished and half-unfinished. Like the family. There is certainly a lighter down there, as well as a fan pointing out a window, so that she can do her business without attracting more attention than necessary.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:16 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4411
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
"For someone who said she's here for family, you just ruined a meal intended for the whole family." Tom said calmly. He follows her. Tom doesn't raise his voice to her, going to deny her the pleasure of him losing his temper. "Changed? No you haven't Beatrice. You're still the same spoilt self entitled narcissist you've always been. You claim to support all these causes, but in reality you're a poseur, who ditches each cause as soon a newer, more fashionable one showed it's face. If you had stuck with something for more than 5 minutes, I would have respected that. I pity the poor man that agreed to marry you. No doubt you've already conned money out of him. An ATM, that's all your men have been to you, a means of financial support. Nothing is your own responsibility, is it Beatrice? Actually there is something I want to know. How do you sleep at night, knowing you abandoned your own child when he needed you most? I find it disgusting when you invoke family without any understanding of that means."
Old 02-25-2019, 01:07 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1504
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Billy White

Billy was content to listen to Bea ramble while he took a long, satisfying pull of Naty, kept ice-cold by the ambient temperature. Ahh... he thought, as the cold beer doused the fiery pit in his gut with an almost-audible hiss. There was something comforting about tipping back a cold one, something reasoning and philosophy couldn't really match. Everything just seemed to settle when a man kicked back and had a beer.

Speaking of philosophy...what the hell was Bea going on about?? He'd tuned her out a bit as she started talking about good guys and bad guys, and picking sides. I ain't on nobody's side, he thought to himself in slight disgust. Think that's half the problem right there. Then again, he hadn't had to grow up with these folks. Bea was right about that, it did place him a bit on the outside, for better or worse. Clearer perspective, and all that. If I got the clearest perspective of the whole danged family, he thought wryly, we're in a heap o' trouble.

Then she started talking about botsivas or whatever she'd said, and wheels, and time, and pigs, and being reborn. By the time Bea had finished her speech and bid Billy a good night, he was literally standing there, beer in hand, mouth agape, staring at her like she'd begun speaking in tongues and burst into flame. "Uh...yeah, uh...g'nite Bea," he managed to stammer as she beat a path toward the house, looking determined and pissed. Billy just shook his head, feeling a slight twinge of pity for whoever was the target of whatever decision she'd come to.

"Sure as hell ain't pickin' sides," he muttered out loud before taking another sip. "Guess that means I'm stayin' above the fight, while everyone pins botsivas on a pig, or whatever the hell she said."

Yeah, he was glad he hadn't punched Randy, now. He got the feeling the two of them could have some fun watching everyone else duke it out.

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Old 02-25-2019, 03:31 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4579
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Randall
right-aligned image
Randy is just about to dig in about problems and solutions when Bea whirls into the kitchen. Randy's mouth had been open as he started to speak. It remains open and slowly transitions to a slack-jawed look of a man at a loss. His hand had been raised with palm forward, ready to slow Tom's warped view of the world. Now, it simply hangs in the air. In fact, the only sign that Randy is taking in the events unfolding before him are when his eyes grow wide as Bea snuffs her cigarette in the food.

Unable to do anything to divert the implosion happening right before him, Randy simply stares. They had all come together for Mom - or at least everyone had claimed to do so. In this moment, Randy struggles to reconcile his own desire for that storybook family and the events that have unfolded this evening. All he had ever wanted was to belong. Now the chance is at hand and he can’t take advantage. First Billy, then James, and now Bea. All storming off in one fashion or another and, just like always, he is present for each one.

Randy almost misses Bea’s gesturing toward him, and he barely reacts when Tom starts after his sister. He had always tried to fix everything in the family. He had always tried to make everyone happy. Then Tom’s words echo in Randy’s head ’you have to want to change’. Is that really all it takes? Well nothing else has worked, so change it is! Maybe, just maybe it is time to stop trying to make people happy.

In a split second, Randy’s hand falls to his side and his mouth snaps shut. Spinning on his heel to follow Tom and Bea, he hollers "Bella! Get in here!" Without waiting, Randy takes off with long purposeful strides. He easily catches Tom at the head of the stairs and grabs his shoulder – tight – before working his way between Tom and Bea. "Tom, enough! Walk away. You said your piece. Now, it is time for you to go consider the possibility that you are wrong. There is always a solution. If you can’t accept that then at least don’t get in our way. This is Mom’s wish," as Arabella comes into view Randy glances at her and gives her a purposeful look while still talking to Tom, "for ALL of us to get along." Randy turns his attention back to Tom. "Time to take a break and figure out how to do that. We ALL need to take a hard look at our relationships and figure out how to make them better, not worse!" Randy holds up a hand fending off any rebuttal from Tom, "Don’t worry, no one expects you and Bea to be best friends – in fact that would be weird – but civil would be a step in the right direction."

Without waiting for (and ignoring any) rebuttal, Randy turns and heads down the stairs slamming the door behind him to cut off any pursuit. Despite the barrier, nearly everyone on the first floor can hear a muffled, "Bea! What the Hell!"

Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12120
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
End of scene 1After some heated words and accusations, the rest of the evening was tense at best. The conversation died out and the family members retreated to their own rooms to bed down for the night. Perhaps tomorrow would be better and cooler heads would prevail. Or perhaps it would be more of the same. In any event, it was clear that the family members indeed had issues with each other, some of which had endured for decades. Peace and understanding might be a tall order indeed. But for now... sleep...