RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Siege of Ašnor's Reach > Chapter One: The Last Haven
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is online now
Some Believe in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1590
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Posts: 678
Evelyn Saltspring
left-aligned image
right-aligned image



eads of sweat rolled down Evelyn Saltspring's brow as she came to a halt, her mouth slack and breathing with exertion from the run. Finnsinger had led them to as fine a choke point as one could hope for - there was barely enough room for three to stand abreast at its narrowest. Evelyn nodded, mostly to herself, as she looked up at the cliffs. They were not particularly tall, but steep. It would have to do.

The Devil-man the halflings called Robert drew his sword as he set down his cage of captive animals. Evelyn felt a surge of sadness as she watched the creatures inside scurry about. They would die in the agony of unholy sacrifice, or else they would starve to death in their cage, still locked, lying next to "Robert's" (Evelyn doesn't know about the Bull and how M'Sion are reborn)corpse and those of the rest.

Evelyn gave Trust a sidelong glance before putting some space between him and herself. Evelyn sheathed her sword as Calleigh's staff erupted in flame again. Evelyn beckoned at the halfling woman and Solgar with her shield arm, as a dagger materialized in her right hand.

"Quickly," she hissed. "Calleigh, get behind us. Solgar, I need you on my right!"

Evelyn risked a glance down at the infants swaddled at her hip. They were, miraculously, somehow still at ease. Whether asleep or not she couldn't tell, but their eyes were closed and they were quiet. Through it all, the ceaseless M'Sion battle chant droned on, and Evelyn fingered the tip of the throwing dagger as the raiders approached.

 
 

Last edited by Astra; 02-22-2019 at 01:42 PM.
  #152  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
testament to her knowledge of the Axe Woods, Villary was able to lead them to a narrow ravine. 'Well done.' thought the cleric. "Bothvar look! A place to make a stand. Please put me down. Yes there is good." He indicated where theyíd stopped at the side of the ravine and heard the manís heavy breathing. He had nothing but respect for this wild man from the east, enduring all these wounds whilst tearing through the woods at night without so much as a stumble. Putting admiration aside he prepared for the coming conflict.

"Bothvar, we must destroy them but... you're wounded. Stay back and use your bow. I'll help the others."

The warriors that would form the front-line would be in a desperate fight for their lives in a moment. "Best to fell our enemies faster than have to heal them after!" he thought with a silent chuckle at his rhyme. He needed to provide what help he could, to help them survive these inhuman soldiers. He calmed his mind and projected that Cast bless on Evelyn, Solgar and Trust.
"You bless up to three creatures of your
choice within range. Whenever a target
makes an Attack roll or a saving throw
before the spell ends, the target can roll
a d4 and add the number rolled to the
Attack roll or saving throw."
calm into the mind of their warriors; Evelyn, Solgar and Trust, and quickened their thoughts. The Raiderís movements would slow in their eyes like some strange illusion. But the truth was that their minds had opened ever so slightly to see the intention behind the tactics and movements of the M'Sion. It would help make their strikes just that little more accurate, their defences just a little better... and that was sometimes all it took in war. Survival was often dependant on gaining a slight opening, capitalising on an enemy's mistake. Dibo hoped it was enough for them to win.

He then To -D26moved back to stand clear alongside Villary to aid the warriors with Feyliris' radiance or to heal them should they fall. "May the knowledge serve and keep you..." he prayed.

 
 
__________________
  #153  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
llowing Calleigh a moment to dismount, Solgar looks solemnly into her eyes and then rises to his full height. Time slows, the drone of the M'Sion intensifies. Sounds from his companions bounce off the high stone walls to either side, causing a raucous echo. When the elven warrior steps forward, he quickly joins her, glancing down at the infants. The conclusion of his life-quest lay swaddled and asleep on her hip, and Solgar would not let anything endanger the little ones.

As he peers down the rocky path, the shapes of the M'Sion suddenly come into sharp focus, and the barbarian dimly realizes that magic must be at hand. Dibo, thank you my friend, he silently thinks, knowing the scholar's powerful influence was at work. Everything was sharper, and he felt bold with the blessing of a god upon him. A bolt of fire lights up the path, revealing a horde of terrors running full speed toward them and he smiles suddenly. "This hour we make our ancestors proud, to meet them in the golden hall... with blood in our beards and shrieks in our ears..." It was a snatch of his clan's ancient battle song, a song he hadn't heard or thought about since he was small -- perhaps since the day the orcs killed his tribe.

The verse comes back to him like the flash of Calleigh's fire, though it now brings to mind visions a holy monastery shining on a mountaintop more befitting a monk than a barbarian's mead hall. "To meet them in the golden hall!" he sings again, joyously swinging at the first of the attackers.

 
 
  #154  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 AM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,930
The Siege of Ašnor's Reach (Ašnor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


alleigh climbs down from Solgar's shoulders, pivots, and throws a bolt of flame. Another raider falls in flaming ruin.

"Quickly, Calleigh, get behind us," says Evelyn, positioning herself opposite Trust on the east side of the dry stream bed. "Solgar, I need you on my right!"

Calleigh scrambles to I figure that Calleigh waited until after Solgar had closed
the ranks to hop down, or her original choice of location
would have placed her in front of the line instead of behind it.
get behind the formation as Solgar closes the ranks. The Queensworth raises her hand. A bloodstained dagger appears in her grip, held with two fingers and a thumb on the flats of the blade. Evelyn draws back, ready to throw it. The krackeneers position themselves on either side of the Thane and the royal infants, yank the stoppers from their potions, and drink. They draw their weapons with a new vitality, ready to fight.

The M'Sion raiders round the corner and charge.

Evelyn's dagger vanishes into the belly of first arrival, who remains on his feet.

Solgar beheads the second arrival with a swift stroke, but his next attack draws sparks instead of blood as the weapon glances off of chainmail.

Trust stabs a bat, sending a curtain of flame across the nearest raider, but the charred foe does not fall.

Finnsinger shoots and misses with her crossbow.

Bothvar shoots a raider in the eye with an arrow. Incredibly, the creature continues to fight.

The krackeneers attack with sword and crossbow but achieve nothing.

Four M'Sion find positions nearby, take aim, and shoot arrows. None find their mark.

A soft pop, like a cork from a bottle of sparkling wine, comes from somewhere above. Dibo is the first to see the familiar sight: a young boy and a jet-black bull are standing on the edge of the chasm, looking down at him.

Calleigh raises her eyes in horror. It's teleportation magic, she realizes, recognizing the sound of the pop which preceded the arrival of the newcomers above. We can't outrun these two, she thinks, not unless they run out of magic first.

The night bull grunts, rearing its head. "Hrggkhurrg!" The warmth drains from the breeze as the repulsive horned creature opens its mouth impossibly wide, revealing a spiral of purple stars in an alien void. The exhalations of the adventurers become jets of white breath in the frosty air as ice crystals creep and pop across the exposed stones all around them. For a moment, it's Everyone takes 2 points of Cold damage.so cold that it hurts.

Frostbite splits open two of the fingertips on the hand that Dibo uses to cast spells. Dibo catches his breath at the unexpected jolt of pain, but Dibo: Constitution save vs DC 10 to maintain concentration on the Bless spell. Success.maintains his control over the spell.

The boy, calm and expressionless, raises a little hand at Solgar, as if offering a wave of greeting. The dolorous tolling of a bell fills everyone's ears. A tiny little bit of everything that is good and right about Solgar withers away, Solgar: Wisdom save vs spellcaster DC (secret). Fail. 3 points of Necrotic damage.screaming as it dies. The boy smiles with the malicious cruelty of a child tearing off the leg of a captured butterfly.



DM Instructions
  • The stream bed consists of solid rock, strewn with grape-sized pebbles. The walls are 25 feet high, rising at an 80 degree angle, and are overgrown with moss, little shrubs, and protruding roots, affording many handholds and footholds. A square that is part wall and part stream bed is considered to be wall. A wall square may be entered, if you have at least one free hand, with a DC 12 Climb (Athletics) check, which lets you climb without a check until the start of your next turn. Wall squares are also difficult terrain, meaning that entering each wall square costs 15 feet of movement.
  • It is after dark. Evelyn and Trust can see with darkvision, but everyone else in the party needs a light source. Evelyn only: for the sake of simplicity, I will mark separately on the map any creature or feature that you can see but the others cannot.
  • Movement costs are normal.
  • An enemy combatant marked with an X is dead and will be removed as of the next DM post.
  • An enemy combatant marked with a blue circle is lying prone and cannot move or take actions.
  • NPCs and enemy combatants are marked with 'damage bars' which reflect their apparent state of vitality.


D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: night, clear, half-moon, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Axe Woods, in a ravine, north of Splinters logging village
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Ašnor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 02-24-2019 at 12:30 AM.
  #155  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:11 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
he words of the old tune keep Solgar's spirits lifted, and he engages with the undead with vigor. Perhaps too much enthusiasm, in fact, as the normally careful and precise warrior finds his glaive repulsed by the armor of his foe. Glancing up, his song falters a bit as he sees the evil child placidly staring down at them. Dibo and Calleigh will take care of him, the barbarian thinks to reassure himself, just as a blast of frigid magic washes over him.

His winters in the mountains were no preparation for the diabolical cold ensnaring his heart -- the only blessing was that it was over as quickly as it had come on, leaving him shaken but undaunted.

He begins again, voice intoning the newly remembered words in a loud chant that is perfectly pitched to his ear. "This hour we make our ancestors proud..." but before he can belt out another verse the words die in his throat. A wave of darkness falls over his eyes, bringing with it simultaneous picturings of his mighty grandfather falling before the orcs, of his mother running for her life with his sisters in her arms, of Bodhiji being struck down. These and other dark scenes assault him, eating a sudden hole in his soul, clouding his normally clear-headed battle focus with confusion and emotional pain.

"Black sorcery..." he says, shaking his head. "Must sing." But the words to his chant are stolen by the bleak scenes, and he's forced to fight on in silence. He glances to his left to be sure the children are still safe, and then plunges his weapon forward at the M'Sion trying to break his rank. Another attacks the krakeneer in front of him and he quickly raises the glaive overhead, using his incredibly long reach to slash the weapon at its throat before reversing it and jabbing it repeatedly at the nearest creature.

 
 

Last edited by mountainbound; 02-24-2019 at 06:11 PM.
  #156  
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,912
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


he line had held. The M'Sion's initial charge had met Solgar, Evelyn, Trust, and the krackeneers and been stopped. Solgar's singing raised above the din, bizarre and off kilter but, somehow, a sign of hope. Calleigh's gaze took in the battle, then snapped upward. Her blood froze at the telltale pop of teleportation magic, and sure enough the child and the bull were on the wall above them. Magic. Powerful magic, and they would not be able to escape it. The bull's alien maw and the horrific cold it unleashed was more confirmation that they did not fully understand what they were dealing with. Luckily her arcane barrier shimmered into view, repelling the cold even as her allies bore the brunt of the attack.

The crowd was pressing in and the monsters above were raining nightmares down upon the group. No! Calleigh felt the walls closing in, felt the letter from Neythin burning in her pack. No. She looked up at the boy and bull; they were the greater threat. She could rely on her friends to handle the rest of the M'Sion, but against magic from a distance? They could do nothing, not without abandoning the wall they'd built. And what can I do? They were too far for a spell to restrain them, and likely too clever for an illusion. Brute force seemed to be the only option. "Bothvar, with me! We must strike down their spellcaster!" Her words were steady, voice ringing with steel. They would not fall here. She shouted her incantation and gestured with a staff, releasing a swarm of arcane darts at the boy. Hopefully he was the more frail of the two.

 
 
  #157  
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
orror and revulsion was Diboís reaction to the strange appearance of the boy and bull as he recalled the nightmarish conception ritual of the MíSion shock troops. This was the head of the horrors that beset the Southlands; the creator. There may be others like it but it was the only one theyíd seen. And theyíd saw how quickly it had created a force of Raiders. A thought rose from his subconscious...

'Destroy the creator, the Raiderís commander. Perhaps theyíd lose whatever diabolical control he might have over them. Maybe theyíd lose the will to fight? Maybe the reanimating magic might fail!'

It was worth a shot and the outcome might well teach them more of their enemy.

The bullís cold crystallised Diboís resolve. Calling to the others he pointed, "Bothvar, Calleigh! Target the boy!" He hoped that they could focus fire on this foul necromancer and end its threat on the Southland folk.

So he summoned the weapon of Feyliris. A Bonus Actionquick incantation brought the golden lance of the mythic founder of his Order. The lance symbolised the bolt of inspiration, the instrument of precision and, in this case, the needle to lance the pustulent boil. The weapon appeared A24next to the boy and sped toward it with the speed of a charging knight.

He then brought the Casts sacred flame on the boyilluminating radiance down on its head. If he was going to target the boy heíd give it all he had.

The scholarís quick mind considered one other thing: It was best for him to take cover behind the others to ensure that the battle blessing remained intact. He couldnít risk being harmed and losing the spell. He could continue to wreak small havoc from behind the ranks. He quickly stepped behind Villary to put space between himself and the alien bull and also to hide himself from the archers.

 
 
__________________
  #158  
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 6654
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 3,616
Belene Vokuhi
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
he was so exhausted that even the sounds of battle failed to wake her. She was deep, deep in slumber, and the shouts, cries, and blows of the fight manifested themselves in her dreams as sailors, of all things, heaving cargo from the shore in great nets into the holds of a ship.

It was the small sound that signaled the appearance of the boy and the bull that woke her. That tiny pop, like that of a tightly-sealed wine jug opening, shocked Belene into instant wakefulness. "They're here. Close," she thought. Kicking off her blankets, she reached for the old-fashioned silver smallsword she'd found less than a week before. A lifetime ago. The unmistakable sounds of fighting echoed around her. It sounded like a good-sized battle, too.

Belene had chosen her campsite well. The woods were thick here, and the trees old, with massive boles. They reminded her of home. There was a deep carpet of underbrush as well, so she was well-hidden. For now. The fight was loud enough to hide any sound she might make as she slipped quietly through the woods, close enough to the copse's edge to survey the scene. Below her, in the dry stream bed, a mixed group of humans and others were holding a narrow bend against a band of the M'Sion fiends.

And the boy and the bull were right in front of her, oblivious to her presence. They were the important ones. Leaders. She still had no idea how she knew this, but she knew it of a certainty. Shouts from below confirmed it. The somewhat high notes of a Halfling's voice rang out. "We must strike down their spellcaster!" And another, right after. "Bothvar, Calleigh! Target the boy!" A fusillade of magical darts streaked toward the boy, while he was engulfed in a column of pure light.

Belene was not going to miss her chance. "They hate fire," she thought. She called out three words in a language she had never heard before last week, and her left hand traced an intricate gesture in the air in front of her. The strange vial of sand she held pulsed once. Three bolts of fire, looking exactly like comets in miniature, launched themselves from her clenched fist. Belene looked intently at her target, eager for the impact.
 
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Berith; 02-26-2019 at 12:07 PM.
  #159  
Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is online now
Some Believe in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1590
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Posts: 678
Evelyn Saltspring
left-aligned image
right-aligned image



he cold bit at Evelyn's skin with unexpected sharpness as she watched the condensation of her breath float away into the night gloom. The blood running down from her scalp froze at once and began to crack, flaking off as she moved. A lone bell, sonorous, flooded Evelyn's hearing as she looked up to see a young boy and an unearthly bovine creature staring down at them. She felt Thanks Dibo for the Bless!strangely calm, and somewhere in the back of her mind the academic part of her brain wondered why she wasn't horrified at the abomination on the cliff above. Spells flew as Dibo and Calleigh attacked, but Evelyn began to realize that the tables had turned against them.

"Hold the line," Evelyn shouted. "Protect the halflings!"

Evelyn exhaled through pursed lips, years of tactics training dancing through her head. Out the corner of her eye she could see Solgar shaking his head as if stunned or blinded. The situation looked grim. What to do? They couldn't all focus on the newcomers; the archers were bound to hit their targets sooner or later and they were still beset by foes in melee range. And how many times in the Bitternorth campaigns had she seen a host lose its leader and then its collective nerve?

Perhaps there is yet hope...

Slackening her left hand's grip on her shield for a moment she shook out a cramp and Action Surgeshe inhaled deeply. Her sword Faith sang through the cold night air as Evelyn swung it mightily at a nearby raider, uttering a brief incantation. Evelyn released Faith's grip as the momentum of her swing carried her body around. With her now-empty right hand she gestured towards the newly come assailants and with another incantation Evelyn let fly three orbs of pure arcane energy. They flew in a graceful arc, briefly illuminating the night as they flew unerringly into their target as Faith reappeared in Evelyn's hand. She locked eyes with a nearby Raider, her eyes glowering with wrath.

 
 

Last edited by Astra; 02-26-2019 at 09:48 PM.
  #160  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM
GallupsMirror's Avatar
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror is offline
A legend in my spare time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-02-2019
RPXP: 4233
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
Posts: 1,930
The Siege of Ašnor's Reach (Ašnor is pronounced AY-uh-nor....) (Game posts are
designed for the
Parchment Redux style.
...)
The Invaders, the Captains, and the Queen
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


olgar is a blur of violence in a ray of moonlight, spinning and striking with the shining weapon. He slashes three more raiders to ribbons.

Trust kills another bat, reducing another raider to ashes.

Calleigh whips three darts of crystalline magic into the Childe. The boy jolts with each impact as ribs snap and internal organs rupture, turning the exposed skin of his neck and shoulders to bruised shades of purple.

Captain Finnsinger shoots her crossbow at the bull. The bolt flies into the gaping maw of the horned abomination and vanishes harmlessly in the void beyond.

Dibo weaves two quick spells. A blast of white light leaves the boy blistered and smoldering. A lance appears and stoves the Childe's skull in. The bones give way with a sickening crunch, leaving a grotesquely misshapen head with a dislodged eye dangling on the boy's cheek.

Bothvar, responding to Dibo's urging, turns with his bow, nocks, aims, and shoots. The arrow buries itself to the fletching in the Childe's forehead.

A Evelyn only: You see the new arrival is human, or maybe an elf, female,
late 30s, clad in studded leather armor, and wielding a silver rapier.
humanoid silhouette steps into the light. The figure raises a free hand and speaks a gruff articulation. Three lances of blazing inferno fly from the outstretched fingers, burn though the Childe, and leave three charred holes in his chest, each large enough to put a fist through without touching the boy.

The krackeneers attack the nearest raider, with blade and bolt finding their mark.

Evelyn blasts a raider to bits with a booming strike of her sword. The Thane pivots, drops the weapon, and pitches three magical darts at the Childe. The boy's left arm is blown off at the shoulder. The bent limb pinwheels into the night, as if beckoning others to follow, and lands out of sight.

The boy does not react to the onslaught of gruesome injuries. He turns to face the stranger, lifting his ruined head to regard the newcomer with the one good eye. "Onrogod!" says the Childe, through a mouthful of broken teeth and blood. "Kah pazud M'Siono woal kogokik og eddon hushgish."

Trust supplies the translation. "Jailer-warden!" he shouts. "This time your troublesome bloodline shall end with our Rebirth."

Evelyn glances down at the royal infants and lays her palm across each tiny head. The flesh of the sleeping newborns is warm to the touch, but the Queensworth does not like the magical cold emanating from the bull. The frost from the bull crept almost to my toes, Evelyn thinks, looking up at the M'Sion monster. If that beast comes any closer, the babies might be effected, and that means..." Evelyn does not dare to complete the thought.

The M'Sion raiders charge. One attacks Crewman Yens. The krackeneer reels and drops, his face split open. A second raider slashes Yens' throat. He lies very still on the bloodstained pebbles, eyes wide, but sightless in First attack is a critical hit. 16 points of Slashing damage. Unconscious.
Second attack has Advantage. Hit. Automatic critical. 18 points of Slashing damage.
Yens' hit point maximum is exceeded. Instant death.
death.

"Yens!" screams Armory Officer Bonnon.

The four M'Sion archers rush forward as the other raiders fall dead. Three Solgar takes 15 points of Piercing damage, halved
to 7 points by Rage damage resistance power.
shoot Solgar; the fourth misses. The mountaintop monk continues to fight with arrows in his shoulder, thigh, and belly.

The boy raises his remaining hand at Trust. The tolling of a bell fills the chasm once again. Trust doubles over, wracked with pain, but he does not cry out. The tiefling growls, straightens, and glares at the Childe. A column of crackling flame shoots out of the ground, engulfs the boy, and vanishes. The Childe drops his staff and collapses, seared to a crisp.

The bull grunts. "Hrggkrggk." The horned monster drops onto its front knees, opens wide, and scoops the broken body of the Childe into its mouth, like a snake unhinging its jaw to swallow a rat. The boy vanishes into the purple void inside. The bull rises, mouth closed, and grunts a second time. A boy erupts headfirst from the backside of the bull, birthing like a calf, and drops to the ground with a splat in a pile of dung and urine. The naked Childe stands and picks up the dropped staff. He is caked with steaming excrement but uninjured.

Is it another Childe or the same one made whole? Dibo wonders, amazed. And which is the master? Bull or boy?

We must destroy the beast to stop the boy, Calleigh thinks, full of dread. It might be our only chance.



DM Instructions
  • The stream bed consists of solid rock, strewn with grape-sized pebbles. The walls are 25 feet high, rising at an 80 degree angle, and are overgrown with moss, little shrubs, and protruding roots, affording many handholds and footholds. A square that is part wall and part stream bed is considered to be wall. A wall square may be entered, if you have at least one free hand, with a DC 12 Climb (Athletics) check, which lets you climb without a check until the start of your next turn. Wall squares are also difficult terrain, meaning that entering each wall square costs 15 feet of movement.
  • It is after dark. Evelyn and Trust can see with darkvision, but everyone else in the party needs a light source. Evelyn only: for the sake of simplicity, I will mark separately on the map any creature or feature that you can see but the others cannot.
  • Movement costs are normal.
  • An enemy combatant marked with an X is dead and will be removed as of the next DM post.
  • An enemy combatant marked with a blue circle is lying prone and cannot move or take actions.
  • NPCs and enemy combatants are marked with 'damage bars' which reflect their apparent state of vitality.


D&D 5E Rules Quick Reference Sheet
(click or tap the icons for details)

Setting
Southland Timekeeping: Each day consists of 12 variable time periods
known as heks. Each hek is approximately 2 hours long, with the actual duration
changing as the days and nights grow longer or shorter with the seasons.

Firstlight (Sunrise) Heks: Earlmorn | Midmorn | Latemorn
Midlight (Midday) Heks: Earlafter | Midafter | Lateafter
Lastlight (Sunset) Heks: Earleven | Mideven | Lateven
Middark (Midnight) Heks: Earlmorrow | Midmorrow | Latemorrow

Clocks which measure time in seconds, minutes, and hours are rare magical or
mechanical marvels that are sometimes found among the wealthy or scholarly.
Time
: Lastlight
The Southlandic Calendar has 12 lin (months):
Firstlin, secondlin, thirdlin, fourthlin, fifthlin,
sixthlin, seventhlin, eighthlin, ninthlin, tenthlin,
eleventhlin, and twelvethlin.

Each lin has 30 days.

6017 wheels (years) have passed since
the Southlandic calendar was created.
Date
: 4th of Ninthlin, 6018th Wheel
Invasion Day: 11
Weather: night, clear, half-moon, light wind from northeast to southwest
Location: Axe Woods, in a ravine, north of Splinters logging village
__________________
right-aligned image
.
DM of The Siege of Ašnor's Reach ||||
Creator of 3D Combat Fudge |||| Designer of D&D Heretics

Last edited by GallupsMirror; 03-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
  #161  
Old 03-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 7171
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 1,912
Calleigh Cassin
left-aligned image
right-aligned image


o. The childe stood, unharmed, after the bull completed its alien work. She'd chosen the wrong target. Violence and death roiled mere feet away as her allies desperately fought to hold the line; one of the krackeeners had fallen in a pool of his own blood. Even with their new thus-far-unseen ally, the situation was dire. Calleigh whipped her head about, Trust's translation of the childe's words playing in her mind. What now? Her magic would not last much longer. They had to fell the bull, had to find a way out. They had to get away.

Calleigh screamed wordlessly, frustration spilling out as she raised her staff and leveled it back at the bull. "Fine, the bull first! There will be no rebirth for you again!" Four more darts rocketed forth, burying themselves into the alien creature. She could do nothing more than to devote her remaining spells to their offensive, so that was what she would do.

 
 
  #162  
Old 03-03-2019, 11:07 PM
mountainbound's Avatar
mountainbound mountainbound is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 34261
mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound mountainbound
Posts: 9,669
Solgar
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
till shaking from the death chill, Solgar catches Evelyn put her hand on one of the infants' tiny foreheads. He locks eyes with her and they both know the babies will die. For all Solgar knows, his reincarnated master is dead already. "Tend to the wee ones," he gasps, as an arrow skewers him in the belly. "Take them from here...uuff." Another arrow lances into his leg. Blood sprays everywhere as Yans' skull bursts open and the krakeneer falls to the dirt. "Go quickly, I'll hold them off."

Gritting his teeth against the arrows, he dodges yet another and moves to intercept the two M'Sion racing forward to hack at Evelyn. The mountain monk has only a dim reckoning of what's happening with the boy and the bull. He can't take his eyes off the undead charging him, but he can tell from the sound of Calleigh's voice that something was wrong. "Just hold the line with me," Solgar shouts at Trust, taking in the devil-man's exhaustion and wounds at a glance. "And keep standing!"

 
 

Last edited by mountainbound; 03-03-2019 at 11:10 PM.
  #163  
Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Berith Berith is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 6654
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith
Posts: 3,616
Belene Vokuhi
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
elene's exultation at seeing the Childe wither and drop under a massive magical assault was short-lived. Almost non-existent. No sooner had he fallen than the huge, horrid bull scooped him up in his fell maw and then literally shat him out anew. The sorcerer's stomach roiled at the sight, and her soul shriveled. "How can we fight something that just re-emerges," she implored the universe. But Belene knew two things for certain: they had to kill the bull, and the boy had spoken to her, just before he died.

The words were unintelligible, except that she understood them perfectly. Memories hovered just beyond recognition...impressions of ages upon ages. Watching. The ice, its cold wafting off of it with the force of a destrier's charge. Watching. She always watched. But that made no sense. She was a juggler, welcome everywhere for a night or two, welcome nowhere for more than a few days. Her Da had been a sea pilot, her Mam just...a mother. Belene shook her head to clear it. There would be time to sort through these memories, these thoughts - she hoped.

The heroes in the riverbed were sorely beset, but holding their own against the M'Sion horde. It would be a close-run thing. Belene wanted to call out, to tell them to kill all the zombies first, but was that wise? She knew not. She was an entertainer, after all, far more at home juggling knives than fighting with them. What did she know of tactics? All she knew was that the bull had to die, so again she called fire. The words that she uttered made more sense now. There was rage, anger in her. It burned hot, and the magic directed it, channeled it. Three more comets shot from her hand, lanced toward the bull, and she felt the magic drain her. Her right hand tightened on the hilt of the rapier. Soon, it would be time for the sword.
 
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Berith; 03-04-2019 at 12:41 PM.
  #164  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Niyaga's Avatar
Niyaga Niyaga is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-17-2019
RPXP: 2983
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Posts: 1,589
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
s it another Childe or the same one made whole?' Dibo wonders, amazed. 'And which is the master? Bull or boy? What dark evil animates and gives purpose to these beings?' Dibo moves Move to -G24. Off the map but trying to get distance if possiblefurther away as he thinks. 'There’s nothing for it but I wish I had targeted the Bull in the first!'

The Boy had turned it's head in the direction of the unseen ally, who had blasted him to pieces with bolts of magical fire. It had called that ally, "Jailer-warden". 'What in the Southlands was back there in the dark? "Troublesome bloodline..." 'Was another unknown race about to step forth? A natural enemy of the M'Sion Bull?' Dibo could only hope.

He focused and sent Feyliris’ Lance against the Bull this time the weapon flashing in to check the thing’s weaknesses… '...or strengths!' he worriedly thought. 'But we’ll check it doubly! With power and light!' He called his light down upon the thing’s head hoping that it’s size would prevent it from dancing aside.


 
 
__________________

Last edited by Niyaga; 03-04-2019 at 10:08 PM.
  #165  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Astra's Avatar
Astra Astra is online now
Some Believe in Magic
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-16-2019
RPXP: 1590
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Posts: 678
Evelyn Saltspring
left-aligned image
right-aligned image



olgar locked eyes with Evelyn, his brown irises seeming to probe at her blues as he bid her to withdraw. In the cold she could see his breath still, and concern was evident in his face- the magical assault had nearly reached the infants with its fingers of deadly frost. Evelyn opened her mouth to tell him that as yet they seemed unharmed, but her breath caught in her throat as Solgar was pierced not twice but three times by arrows. Somewhere nearby Bonnon was screaming, and Evelyn's consciousness registered a misshapen lump of clothing and armour where Yens had stood.

"Go quickly," Solgar gasped. "I'll hold them off."

Wide-eyed, Evelyn looked past the mountain-sized monk. The riverbed curled back towards the Bull and beyond into the forest night, but there didn't seem to be anywhere in that direction that lay beyond the range of its attack. In the other direction were the M'Sion archers, picking at their prey from afar and as yet unchallenged. To Evelyn it seemed there was but one option remaining. She brought her gaze back to Solgar and with her left hand tapped the metal splints of armour over her chest - a gesture of gratitude and farewell.

To stand here as the archers tore them apart was unacceptable. So too would be to stay close enough to the aberration that it might harm the infants swaddled at her hip. Evelyn Second Windtook a deep breath, summoning the last of her stamina. To the Krackeneer she called out:

"Bonnon, on me!" She went on in her Elven for "Flame against the wolfpack!"native tongue, teeth bared. "Naur dan i gauroth! For the Queen!"

Raising her trusty sword Evelyn charged at the M'Sion archers. The nearest one, an Elf woman, was still droning that ceaseless chant as Evelyn drew near. Faith sang joyously through the night air once again as Evelyn swung and made contact.

 
 

Last edited by Astra; 03-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB