RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3095
Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq Zazaq
Legend of the Five Rings: A New Daimyo Rises

Center
left-aligned image

Game NameLegend of the Five Rings: A New Daimyo Rises
Game SystemLegend of the Five Rings: 5th edition
ThemeA small group working together to build something great.
FlavourCharacter driven, somewhat sandboxy, surviving as an underdog.

Plot SummaryOn the twenty second year of current emperor Hantei's reign, the Rat Clan was founded. A young man by the name of Ryuu Hazuka went from a traveling ronin, to a convicted murderer, to a landed Daiymo in less then a weeks time. This would be just the first of many exceptional events in the young clans colorful history.

While the land gifted to this young man was abundant, little was cultivated. Mostly comprised of hilly woodlands rumored to house malevolent Kami, oni, and who knows what else. Whatever truly was out there few heimen dared bring their axes against the trees. Let along venture inside to gather the bounty of nature.

Though the greatest danger to this young clan was not spirits or oni, but men. Surrounded on all sides by rivals with centuries of experience in the arts of court and war, many were skeptical of how long the clan could exist. Its domain did include a small stretch of the Yori road. A town even, not a big one, but any settlement that saw wealthy merchants frequently pass through would collect its share of taxes from it. Many eyed the young clan hungrily. After all he was only a ronin, common born no less, how would he possibly manage and protect such a domain? It would be a blessing for his people and the imperial family alike if it should happen to fall into the hands of one more experienced...

Perhaps for that very reason, the emperor decreed each daimyo who bordered this province would release a capable samurai from their oaths of allegiance. With the assurance that the newly appointed neighbor would offer them honorably service in his own castle. So it was, samurai from so many different clans would come together, joined together under a new lord, with a new purpose.

SettingThis game will take place decades before the second day of thunder, the promotion of the Mantis, and the founding of the Spider clan. As I do expect some passage of time between big events, be aware I have no intention of implementing historic events that fit the time line as of this time. I have read the book, and a bit of the the wiki, but I doubt I'm familiar enough with the lore to do these events justice.

Geographically the domain you will find yourselves in was formerly crab clan territory, though the northern end of it, and fairly far inland. Mostly comprised of hills and forest, with a few dozen acres of rice paddies, and a mountain range on its western border.

Character ApplicationsPlease answer the twenty question in the character creation chapter. I would like especially detailed answers regarding who your previous lords were, and your previous responsibilities to them.

Additionally I would like you to answer these two custom questions.

Why, of all the samurai your master had, did he choose to give you up? This is probably not a good thing about your character, though it need not be a flaw necessarily.

As samurai can't exactly be gifted or traded under the law, not without still owing ultimate loyalty to your previous daimyo, you were all technically stripped of your name and your duty for some period of time. Was that period exactly as long as it took you to travel to your new master? Or did you do anything with this brief time as a free ronin?

Expected Posting RateI aim to make one big, game advancing post a week. I'll do more if I just need to drop a sentence or two so that combat or a conversation continues. I expect the same from my players.

Last edited by Zazaq; 04-14-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYL View Post
Will our old family names be forsaken, since we are technically not of our old clans anymore? What is the family name(s) available for the new Rat clan? Ryuu?
Yep, only one family in the new clan, only one new name to choose from. That said your characters will be free and encouraged to make visits to your families(and their dojo's). Bottom line, mechanically use the clan you came from, in game yes you will have a new family name. Technically, for a very brief period, you were stripped of your status and became a ronin.

Last edited by Zazaq; 04-14-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18171
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
You have no idea how interested in this I am! I'm going to let it stew for a bit and get you an app this week!

Note for other applicants, here it the official website for the L5R RPG. At the bottom of the page, under player resources, you'll find a 20 questions worksheet. Move that here and then you can hold off buying the book until you're selected!

Or buy it anyway! It's worth it for the art alone!

Good luck everyone!!!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 866
Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama Kuroyama
Posting my interest as one of those who’d been rooting for this game to happen! Will update with my application ASAP.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4908
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
This game is very interesting. I once played an old game called the Legend of the Five Rings way back when. If I weren't full up on games right now, I'd give the game a try.

Hopefully, you get a good turnout.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: IRON DM In Progress!!!

Last edited by Silk; 04-14-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Goth Ki-Rin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1743
MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn MaximumUnicorn
Application
Utaku Sakura, Shiotome

So, how did she end up here anyway?One day Utaku Himura, younger brother of Utaku Sakura, was seen riding naked and bareback on a Utaku war steed down the streets of Mizu Mura, drunkenly shouting obscenities about the Crane Clan daimyo and equally lewd things about his wife. Now, a male Utaku riding one of their cherished steeds was enough to warrant Himura's ousting from the clan, but the sheer level of what had happend brought a stain of dishonor over the whole family. Falling on the proverbial sword, Sakura volunteered for the position created by the Imperial decree, hoping to use this as a way to restore the honor her now exiled brother had lost.

Last edited by MaximumUnicorn; 04-14-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2601
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Are you ok with someone who has very little knowledge of the system? I know bits of lore but that's about it. i have access to the core book but i may have questions about the rolls and such. If you are ok with it i will post an app, i assume a scorpion clan member is ok?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:01 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah noobs are fine, I'm new to this addition myself and will likely be leaning on the more experienced players. Scorpions are my favorite clan and most definitely allowed.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Werewolf of London

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14274
GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti
Just for clarification, I believe that this is the new, 5th Edition by FFG, not the older d10 system.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Correct Geo, 5th addition
Old 04-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1308
TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL TYL
I am definitely Applying!! I love the game concept actually.

Will our old family names be forsaken, since we are technically not of our old clans anymore? What is the family name(s) available for the new Rat clan? Ryuu?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Answer posed in the Q&A, though that actually reminds me of another interesting question to add to applications, which I'll put here and in initial post.

As samurai can't exactly be gifted or traded under the law, not without still owing ultimate loyalty to your previous daimyo, you were all technically stripped of your name and your duty for some period of time. Was that period exactly as long as it took you to travel to your new master? Or did you do anything with this brief time as a free ronin?

Last edited by Zazaq; 04-14-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Bewitched by the Moon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4192
Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor Aerandor
I personally like that this will not implement too much from the lore, especially since I didn't like a lot of the later lore in the 4th edition and such. Setting it further back works just fine for me. However, this presents a bit of a problem, as the character I want to play was a member of the monkey clan (brought back from my last L5R game here), but that clan isn't founded until after the second day of thunder. Would I be able to still use him, or do I need to revamp the concept?
Old 04-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I would prefer you to revamp it. Monkey clan isn't in the core book I have, at least no schools or advantages or anything.

Last edited by Zazaq; 04-14-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16498
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Vital Statistics

Twenty Questions1) What clan does your character belong to? Crab clan, born and raised in the shadow of the Kaiu Wall. [+1 Earth, +1 Fitness, Status: 30]

2) What family does your character belong to? Kuni family, 3rd born of his siblings. [+1 Void, +1 Medicine, Glory: 40, Koku: 4]

3) What is your character’s school, and what roles does that school fall into? Kaiu Engineer [+1 Earth/Fire, +1 Command/Labor/MA Ranged/Medicine/Smithing, Honor 40, Kata/Rituals/Shuji, Tactical Assessment, Stonewall Tactics]

4) How does your character stand out in their school? Adaptability. Life has thrown Jun'ya many curves over his 50 years and he bears the physical and emotional scars of each. Despite the weight of these burdens, he looks forward to new opportunities and the dawn of a new day. He takes insults and setbacks in stride while always seeking ways to overcome them. [+1 Water]

5) Who is your lord and what is your character's duty to them? Hiruma Shinsaku, daimyo of Laku Agista and all lands within its shadow. When Jun'ya was injured and others deemed him incapable of fulfilling his duties, Shinsaku offered him a position as smith, physician and tutor. He trained others in the way of metal to compensate for his own flagging stamina, tended injuries of war and accident, and was even allowed to instruct the daimyo's son in basic swordsmanship and leadership.

6) What does your character long for and how might this impede their duty? To prove himself a capable warrior despite age and injuries. It was a struggle in his youth to prove himself with the blade when his family urged him toward the artisan crafts. He learned medicine at his mother's feet when he was young and often too sick to engage in physical activity. Later, he fought alongside Hiruma and Hida at the Kaiu Wall while crafting weapons and armor for the clan, training among them in the blade. His injury crushed his spirit as he found himself incapable of the lengthy exertions required for prolonged combat and extensive smithing, limiting his usefulness on the front, but he still harbors the spirit of a bushi and seeks opportunity to prove his worth to himself.

7) What is your character's relationship with their clan? Jun'ya has always served the interests of the Crab, even against his own wishes. His family's insistence that he train at the Kaiu Engineering Academy rather than join his brother in war, the unstated but deeply insinuated insistence of his superiors that he retire from active duty at the wall after his injury. He has taken these things in stride because they tend to the needs of the clan despite the sting of his pride. [+5 Glory]

8) What does your character think of bushido? Working beyond the Wall gives anyone cause to question the tenets and Jun'ya is no exception. He has seen the noble and the wicked die in equal horror, each given to their own fears and doubts. There is a practicality to his outlook and he has been known to engage in behavior unbecoming one of his station when the need arises. [+1 Skulduggery]

9) What is your greatest accomplishment so far? There isn't a single accomplishment so much as the breadth of them. He has aided the slaying of an ogre by tending the oyumi needed to bring it down. He stitched the wounds that would have pushed a Hida commander to the afterlife. It was his tutelage that gave skill to young Kaiu Otori, the engineer responsible for the eastern ballista line on the Wall. He has seen many accomplishments rise in glory and fade into history. [Seasoned Distinction]

10) What holds you back? The injury he received at the wall, the impaling wound that damaged his lungs beyond return to full function, has deeply impaired him. Not only physically, though that is significant, but also emotionally as the inability to perform tasks that were once trivial to him sullies his self worth. It is like he is a child again, too sick to climb and run and play with the others. [Damaged Organ (Lungs) Adversity]

11) What makes you feel at peace? The art of creation is still close to Jun'ya's heart. While he cannot labor over the forge for hours unending like he could in his youth, he can still put the edge on a blade and assemble the sections of lacquered armor. His experience with such things is extensive, second only to his knowledge of mending the human form, and he takes pride in spreading his knowledge of such things to others. [Armament Passion]

12) What troubles your character the most? Death and suffering. He has seen so much of each. He has played a part in it with the weapons he made. He had failed to save lives and he has killed to avoid greater costs. After leaving his position at the Wall to serve as tutor and instructor, he believed such things behind him but pain follows even in the safest of places. His son's maiming during a training yard scuffle and the deterioration of his relationship with his daimyo are just fresh reminders of this. It is his desire to alleviate that suffering, to limit people's exposure to pain. [Softheartedness Anxiety]

13) Who have you learned from the most? His first commander on the Kaiu Wall, Hida Yotori, was a man of great wisdom and a willingness to share it. While Jun'ya learned to mend bodies at home and walls at the Engineering Academy, it was Yotori who taught him to lead. To command respect and to show it in return. Yotori allowed him time to practice swordsmanship and nurtured his desire to be better. And, most importantly, Yotori blessed Jun'yo's union with his daughter Haruna when requested. A marriage of love, not politics, that has been the beacon of hope in his life. [Blissful Betrothal Distinction]

14) What do people notice first upon encountering you? His stature draws attention in his homeland, being decidedly slight for one of his clan. Other folks tend to focus first on the oyumi, a weapon of odd design and specific purpose. While he carries the daisho that marks him a bushi the crossbow indicates his experience on the Wall where such a weapon is most commonly found. His hair is also cut uncommonly close to scalp and peppered with gray.

15) How do you react to stressful situations? When under pressure, Jun'ya turns his stress inward and becomes increasingly dissatisfied with his own efforts. Initially this manifests as grumbling and repetition of simple tasks but it can become increasingly involved and leave him trapped in a cycle of self-doubt and distress at perceived imperfections. Conversely, temper has never been an issue for him and he rarely ever speaks or acts out of anger, trusting in his composure to allow him to make sensible decisions.

16) What is your relationship with other clans? Having interacted with members of other clans who came to examine or serve at the wall, Jun'ya has developed little prejudice toward them. He has met Crane bushi with less self-restraint than his own people are attributed and Lion without the skill to fend off a child. This has led him to be open to individuals regardless of their mon, though he has not been able to shake the common unease in the presence of Scorpion samurai. Tales of their deceptions may be exaggerated stories but it only takes letting your guard down once to learn the truth of them. He is well respected among the Kuai and Hiruma and returns that respect in kind. [Add one Biwa to gear]

17) How would your parents describe you? Too adventurous for his own good, his mother regards his desire to serve on the front lines of any combat as folly. She still views him as the sick child she held close and his injury only served to reinforce her views. She is advanced in years now and unable to make the journey to visit him with any frequency, but he makes the effort to return home when possible to see her and pray at his father's shrine. [Martial Arts Melee]

18) Who were you named to honor? Kuni Jun'se, great-great-grandmother to his father and a powerful Kuni sujenga. [Will roll these if selected, as I like the randomness of it]

19) What is your personal name? Kuni Jun'ya, modified to indicate that he carries the spirit of Jun'se.

20) How should your character die? Like any true Crab, Jun'ya should find death in the face of an overwhelming Shadowlands threat with a weapon in his hand and tainted blood on the blade.

21) Why, of all the samurai your master had, did he choose to give you up? Things have been strained between Jun'ya and Shinsaku recently, stemming from an incident during training with the daimyo's son and his own. Jun'ya had turned away for a minute to get water and when he returned Shinsaku's son was bleeding from a facial wound and his own lay on the courtyard missing his left leg at the knee. The facts of the dispute will likely never come to light, as neither boy would blame the other, but the fathers each harbor resentment at their child's disfigurement. It was best, then, that Jun'ya take his family and attend to the much needed construction and tutelage in the newly appointed province.

22) Was that period exactly as long as it took you to travel to your new master? Or did you do anything with this brief time as a free ronin? Jun'ya did take the time to visit with his family on the way north, a week taken to rebuild the short wall around his mother's gardens and reconnect with his sister. He had hoped the time would allow his son to shake off the sullen nature that had befallen him since his injury but the boy remains distant and angry despite it. Having experienced a similar difficulty in his time, he has tried to lend the boy his wisdom but words from a father are often hard for a son to hear.

Inheritors of the Imperium Nihilus | Rise of the First Order

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 04-15-2019 at 02:00 PM.