RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > World of Darkness > Portage: Rising from Ashes > Game Play
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-17-2019
RPXP: 16270
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,212
Waif had remained utterly still, a statue of flesh and paranormal blood, wide blue eyes alight with an internal amusement of the likes such that Rita's snap in return, from the accusation of being an Elder and carefree, to the rest of them as they bantered at thoughts and ideas, chafed at some and bit down on others. Still, silent and amused, the three terms that might best describe her, that was until the last words fell from Alec's lips. A flash, a flicker in her eyes, a thinning of her lips and the motion of a cat, a dog, hackles raised in the slight curve of her back, though all still were of minute things.




"Delightful." A single word and only a single word after the first greeting of hello, there was nothing more for Rita to hear as the phone went silent once more and left her to wonder if they were to wait or not. Granted it was little 'if' and far more 'will' as why else would the place have been suggested and why else that single word.

It was not the kind of place one wanted to sit still for long, or more not the kind of reasons and thoughts which lurked amid each, coiled in their brains and warred with their own fears and insecurities. Thankfully it seemed they would not have long to wait, or perhaps not so thankfully, but still when one stared into the abyss, was it worse when it stared back, or when it merely roiled and seethed, anticipation or culmination, neither were pleasant, but then from the moment each had been made aware of another 'life', they had needed to embrace the idea that pleasant was but a myth created by those who had no clue as to what transpired in the world around them.

A few more words spoken, mutters of whether or not they were all being foolish and then the slow scrape of wood, the purposeful announcement of sound made by one who was well aware that there were those within to catch, to witness the sound and react accordingly. Waif, for her part, only narrowed her eyes, darkened the orbs to near slits as she watched the dark beyond the gloom of the room they now sat in.

From scrape of wood to the click of heels over hollowed floors, whoever approached made no attempt at discretion or secrecy, the impact of such to leave one to waver between the relief that none snuck up on them and that one had such confidence in their abilities that they would openly declare their presence. Movement in the shadows, a creature of sinew and bone, flesh and colour stepped forward and allowed the pale light of their confines coalesce over them in a blanket of light and shades of grey.

What struck them first would vary from person to person. The shine of one eye, utterly pearlescent in its milky glow, the other the deepest brown, nigh unto black save the fleck of burnished copper on the outer ring of the iris. Flesh of purest white, save where it faded like blackened, purple marred bruises about her eyes and along the curve of her bared collar bone. At some point the 'they' became a 'she', despite the fact that there seemed to be no obvious sex organs of any kind, the fact of it utterly clear in the form of the skin tight sable cloth which wrapped about her, accented the lanky androgyny, the pallor of flesh and seemed to embrace the dark as a second skin.

A triad of piercings in her lower lip, the curve of them suggested hoops, but the colour, the sense of them against the bruised purple of her mouth, made the skin crawl with recognition that it was not metal which marked her face, but bone through the dark, fleshy lobe. So too for her nose, a curved hoop of bone hung from the septum. Cheek bones a hint too sharp, mirrored in the bold curve of her brow bone, jaw line utterly perfect and neck slender, long, too long. All was framed in tumbled locks of mahogany and gold, the two colours interspersed in a chaotic mingling of tantric passions.

She stood there, waited in the space, the silence of which her arrival had crafted, and smiled. The glitter of pointed teeth, perfect feline fangs in brilliant ivory, bright and wide, harsh against the darkness of her lips. The voice was rich, lush and accented, ghosts of tones akin to somewhere deep within Russia or perhaps the Balkans. "I am the Hydra, thou wished an introduction to be had?"
__________________
Family over July 18-Aug 2: See you when I get back

Last edited by Kapera; 04-23-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Aethera's Avatar
Aethera Aethera is offline
evil daystar
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 38489
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Posts: 14,637
When Rita had completed her short phone call, she returned in time to hear Leesa's questions about not casting a reflection. Her eyes said she parsed the questions easily and was adding that detail to her knowledge of Leesa so far, but she didn't call her out about it. "I didn't mean anything about seeing your own reflection, though the Lasombra clan as a rule don't have reflections and that can be worrisome to others. I meant..." She broke off for a moment, eyes moving as if she were reorganizing her thoughts in her mind's eye. "It looks to me like Butterfly, the Malkavian Keeper of Elysium, sees things in a mirror the rest of us can't. I could try to meet her reflection's eyes and it sometimes feels like she's seeing something other than me. It can be unnerving."

Rita's expression was less calculating of Alec's words than Leesa's, but her expression flattened to one of patience. "There are any number of ways to learn another clan's discipline. Most of them involve being of sufficient age and power to trap or coerce a subject, especially a talented practitioner of considerable enough experience to teach to the level we're talking about." This was her flat summary of basically what she'd said prior, which he had started to contradict, and then ultimately agreed with. The suggestion of the mirror in the legend actually being a Malkavian... that bore some serious thought. A tale with several metaphors would be a suitable place for one more. She wasn't sure it was possible, but her glance in Waif's direction told her immediately that it was not a wise question to ask.

And then their 'guest' arrived.

Rita went through myriad emotions in the space of a heartbeat, and once the Tzimisce had completed her purposeful entrance, there were many more. There was definitely a stifled urge to back away involved, but she controlled herself and successfully made herself step forward to greet this Hydra, whose appearance didn't seem to startle her in the least. While outwardly polite, there was definitely something in her eyes that was too complicated to just be searching Hydra's expression, but it was hard to determine what. With as much grace as she could muster, she curtsied to the Tzimisce, lack of skirts not stopping her for a second. "Greetings," she returned, not as emotive as in her usual interactions. "I am Margherita, we spoke on the phone." She glanced about the other faces, trying to decide if they needed a moment to adjust. Choosing to stick to the safe side, she returned her gaze to not quite meeting the Tzimisce's unique eyes. "I am sorry if I seem startled, I had not truly expected to find one of your clan so far from home. I would offer you a seat, but this is about the best we can do." She gestured at the tumbled, ruined furniture that yet remained as places to perch. "My companions and I would very much appreciate it if you could tell us what Cheryl, Ezra, Haydn, Vince, and Charlotte were up to, and why. Scattered bits of information do not well flesh out legends and conjecture." A slight frown touched her face before she added, "And perhaps what is looming in our future, as we seem to be taking their place in... whatever they were doing." If Rita was electing herself spokesperson it was unclear, but since she already knew the feelings of two members of the group (not to mention the Gangrel very much with her hackles raised) and was attempting to steer clear of it as best she could.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 7848
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 5,076
When their special guest made herself known Adina tensed up and took a few steps back. Might as well now, before she could be seen responding in this physical manner. The demon certainly knew how to create suspence, every passing second before she finally emerged twisting Adinas dead guts more and more.

To see this person offered little release. Adinas lips quivered once against her will, as if she was seriously going to snarl. It was an atavistic primal feeling of revulsion and fear that she felt as she gazed upon the Demon. The kind that was a part of you too integral to ever go away, that lived in the bones and was borne thousands of years ago before ape had made the leap to man. The almost physical nature of the nauseating fear was startling, considering Adina had never been much in touch with her body when she was a mortal, too cerebral and inhibited to feel as much as others, and when the body had died she'd kept the habit. The mind had beaten the body into submission, but now the tables were turning rapidly. It led her to imagine that it was the blood that revolted. But her intellect was trying to fight back even though the facts was stacked against it. It was an elder that had an inherent reason to hate her, maybe more so than her chantry brother. Adina didn't think he'd ever been to Vienna, which made her feel like he didn't know what the Pyramid truly was capable of, what it was in essence. She'd been born, broken and bread not so far from where this cancerous beast had its origin, but best not to dwell on any of that.

No, the only thing her mind could bring forth to break down the fearsomeness of this 'Hydra' was that the physicality of this thing was shock value, a sign of a twisted, less than functional mind. A sideshow freak. A gaudy display that defied the unity of the physical shell, with an unspoken promise that this havoc could be wreaked on their enemies bodies. Or in other words: The outward form was less than subtle. Lacked style. That it was working on her was her own failing. That it had a certain allure as well was on another leaf, but the truly terrible and beautiful always mixed, like a trace of rot on the sickly sweet smell of a jungle flower.

"Habe die Ehre." Adina enunciated every word very clearly, the old fashioned greeting of Vienna that as far as she knew people still used to this day. Propriety urged her to introduce herself too, but for once she forwent that. She was reminded very strongly of her father, who had greeted human snakes in this manner as they entered his home. Germanic and often blue blooded humans that harboured thinly veiled hatred against her people even as they made business with them. Yet her father had tamed the two faced gojim at the time, so maybe she could do the same here. While he had found a terrible end she still had always envied him for his quiet dignity and eloquence. It was not his fault that while she was away in England they later murdered him. He had nobody that would revenge him either, not in any direct sense, but this was not so for Adina. At least she believed that.

Not that she had anything to add beyond what Rita had said just then. Just standing here was hard enough.

Last edited by Phettberg; 04-26-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is offline
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 14958
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,090
Leesa crosses her arms and nods noncommittally at Rita's noncommital discussion of mirrors. Whatever are her reassurances, this seems like yet another thing that vampire society judges kindred on.

There's plenty of Brujah bullsh*t that I could do without. But there's so much OTHER bullsh*t that I didn't even get exposed to, running around after Tai figured out the way to Finally cut ties with his Prodigal Childe. Would have helped, if he had put this stuff on my radar, instead of spending his unlife trying to piss everybody off.

Finally, the Tzim appears. There's a certain twisted elegance to her - them. Leesa takes a half-step forward and begins to extend an arm, autonomically launching into her businesslike greeting. But she stops, catching herself mid-motion. This doesn't seem like the kind of place for such greetings. And that's ignoring the talk of flesh-shaping, which makes physical contact less appealing. Instead, she re-crosses her arms and simply says "Leesa Liddy."

Rita finds a table to sit at. Leesa watches Hydra's response, curiously. Leesa can see the fear and hostility in the looks of so many of the others, and Leesa just can't summon that attitude. This Hydra instills no sense of confidence, but they are fascinating. However powerful the individual might be, these Tzim are a kind of under-class in vampire society, and Leesa has always been a sucker for that. So for now, Leesa keeps her thoughts to herself and walks behind Rita. Rita can do the talking. Leesa stands behind her in a silent support, tapping fingers and toes and watching Hydra with an intent curiosity.
__________________
GM of Monsterhearts (an RPGX exclusive!)
Currently co-running Outplay 2019 (5e GM). Round 1 is done, come and see how it turned out! Round 2 starts July 22.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 04-29-2019, 01:52 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is online now
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 10908
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,438
Thomas listened quietly as the others pondered his words. Rita spoke first, though it didn't make him feel better. He didn't like that his friends, such as they were, weren't being nice to each other. Her reaction to the mirror was slightly frustrating too. He mentioned that Malkavians think differently, and the mirror probably was something different. Thomas doubted that it was a literal mirror. But he didn't feel confident enough to say it more clearly. Even if he did, she was already on the phone.

Soon after, he wished that he was able to put together the words better, considering Adina instantly showered the thoughts with her doubt. The young man wasn't sure what to think of her, a skeptic in the face of vampires, visions and more.

Leesa's tirade was almost welcome after his doubts about the Tremere woman. Danger or not, it made some sense to press the Seneschal. And unlike Adina, the lawyer took the mirror thing seriously, even if she didn't seem to understand.

Alec had also spoken to Rita, though he was defensive about the sharing of supposed clan based abilities. Thomas wondered what was bad about sharing, though he realized that he hadn't ever considered talking about the usual Gangrel abilities. And while he talked at length in terms that Thomas didn't really understand, the male Tremere did bring up an interesting possibility. Maybe the 'mirror' was a person. Rita continued after that, suggesting that the Malkavian keeper of Elysium sees things in mirrors, which was another possibility. Despite his earlier thought, it seemed that Rita did understand.

But through it all, Thomas remained silent. The entire situation had been nerve wracking enough to make him think things over again. He needed to understand it better, to organize it better. Maybe if he were smarter, the others would listen to him. Beyond that doubt, there was the thought of the contact coming. He wasn't ready. A situation like that was the kind of thing he had always dreaded.



Thomas could hear the approach of the woman long before she was seen. The sound of heels was louder to him than most, and as the sound got closer, the more Thomas shrunk away from it. By the time the strange looking woman could be seen, the Gangrel had backed away into a wall. The woman then introduced herself as 'The Hydra'. This was the dragon who did not help the recently passed.

Despite the shy man's extreme nervousness, he watched as Rita flawlessly introduced herself to their 'guest'. She also made a rather blunt request for information, which Thomas hoped wouldn't be offensive. Adina gave a greeting in some foreign language and Leesa simply gave her name. Thomas felt that imitating her would be the easiest way and he spoke softly, "Thomas."

Part of the Gangrel hoped that the Hydra didn't hear him and would thus ignore his presence. He didn't want to talk, or ask or answer questions. His broken mind often failed when meeting people and this 'people' was more frightening than most. He drooped his head and looked to the floor. Closing his single eye, his mind silently cried for help. And with his eye closed, he could feel something. Similar to the faux warehouse, there was something here. Maybe it appeared because of his frantic thought and he mumbled underneath his breath before he could stop himself, ""Please help me. So I don't end up like my mother. Either of them."Plhhh hhp mmm. Sss I dnnt enn uu lkkk mm mtr. Eeher of hem." He tried to project his thoughts and his muttered words were muffled because he tried to whisper without opening his mouth. But he figured the spirit would likely understand. Similar to the way speaking with animals was a mental exercise.
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 9270
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,283
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Much like Thomas, Alec too heard the Fiend's approach long before he saw her, longer still before the others in their impromptu coterie heard the approach of doom. That is what it felt like, on some low, primal level. A rising overwhelming abundance of trepidation seemed to fill every fiber of his being in a way that until now had been unknown to him. He would only after the fact regret that he had been busy experiencing to notice Adina's wise precaution of both saving face and providing the illusion of relative safety. The casual confidence he had been wearing like a second skin since the night of the vision was cracking. Now it was too late to reposition without blatantly broadcasting the terror that crawled and writhed inside of him like a feral animal that had been backed into a corner. Belatedly he realized, right as their contact came into view, that this was the first time in a very long while he had had to worry about his own personal Beast. Normally his own force of will kept it in check and almost beneath notice. But instinctive terror and dread had long been one of the easiest ways to lose that struggle for any kindred, and Alec felt that now like he only rarely had before. After a moment that seemed like an eternity the warlock clamped down as best he could on the fright flooding his being and reclaimed his somewhat fragmented mask of calm.

Enough at least to get a real look at the one who was possibly their figurative dragon from folk tale. She, at least she carried herself in a somewhat feminine manner, was something he would not have been able to forget even if he was not blessed with the gift he bore. He was still burying the feeling she evoked in him deep, deep, down when he followed suit with the others and introduced himself, though his eyes had hardened into a steely gaze that sought to do its best to cover what he was only now recovering from. "Alec T. Thorne," 'Clan Tremere' He did not bother with the second half, replacing it with meaningless pleasantries. "Charmed. In addition to my associate's questions, or rather as an extension of them, I would very much like to know just what was being contained on that island." The hysterically terrified part of him that being swiftly buried briefly wondered if feeding Fledgling Forswill to the Dragon might sate its appetite. If not, than at least he might be granted the pleasure of seeing the elder dead before he followed suit.


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-17-2019
RPXP: 16270
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,212
If she noticed any hostility, fear or otherwise, the fact of it was lost on her movement, her expression and even the motion of her head as she offered each in turn a small nod of greeting, those disorganized eyes drinking each in, memorizing names, faces and perhaps more. A flash of a grin, the brightness of a smile from which one could spend an eternity to determine whether it was predatory, friendly, both, neither... the truth of it was lost the to glitter of perfect ivory. Yet even here the baring of something not quite human, elongated canines and slightly fanged secondary incisors greeted any who paid much attention to the moment.



"Charmed... indeed thou are not, but thy manners are impeccable..." Bruise-shaded lips remained in their curved smile as her gaze drifted away from Alec, back across the rest to fall on Rita once more. There was but a slight pause when they had lit on Waif, though the girl did not give greeting, nor did the Hydra ask, or more, nor did she seem surprised to see the silent creature there. "You ask in such a manner as if thou dost think that the answers are but simple words from which truth might be gleaned and results obtained. Thou are correct though, there is that which is, held, was... held upon my Domain, and perhaps thou art also correct, that in their failure, it has fallen to thee."

The smallest quirk of her lips as the Hydra slid her gaze back toward Alec, paused to drink him in a moment before she continued. "Not what, thou little wayward child, who, things, whats I hath kept in abundance for my amusement and pleasure, and while things dost potentially offer danger, they are not of the same trouble as who. Yet even who is not the correct question to ask, no, you flounder and consider, but thou hast not yet grasped the why, nor considered reasoning to the symmetry of it all, and thou, son and daughter of stolen things, thou shouldst have some sense of pattern, of tradition... of ritual?"

Unblinking, her attention turned back to Rita once more, perhaps a slighter touch of gentleness, something less, dangerous then that which she had just cast upon Alec and Adina. "Legend, legend is not mere conjecture, for in legend is truth, much truth, even if it seems poorly reflected. Pray tell me, what will you do when you have the answers, if thou are presented with truth from lips, shall thee truly believe from one such as I, and what if the answers are not what thy wish, what if there are but riddles, for blunt truth is beyond the rules by which the players, the pieces must be held. Wilt thou stand thy ground?"

A cant of her head as she focused now on Lessa. "Wilt thou accept that black and white are not the colours by which things must be seen, and that answers, are never truly absolute? Or wilt thou rage aimlessly, without true cause, for the night is unfair?"
__________________
Family over July 18-Aug 2: See you when I get back
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:32 PM
Aethera's Avatar
Aethera Aethera is offline
evil daystar
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 38489
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Posts: 14,637
In the second uncharacteristic reaction of the evening, when the Hydra was finished speaking, Rita snorted in a quite un-ladylike fashion. "The night is unfair. Demons are black. But truth is about as complicated as distinguishing an elder's motives." She crossed her arms and regarded the Tzimisce 'lady' with a blank expression. "You asked me on the phone if I would continue where they left off, and I answered you truly. I can only speak for myself, but I think we have all learned enough to be concerned with the outcome. Since you have the information we seek, it is only logical that we should ask these questions of you. Whether we all will believe you, no, I doubt it. This life has never been one of easy acceptance or trust."

She looked at Alec and back. "For what definitions of 'who' that we have available, who was bound on your Domain, and how? We are concerned with the why, ultimately, but when is that not the case? Yet having something tangible to apply to the legend we have learned is the first piece of that puzzle." Her eyes were colder as she added, "Many of us have some experience with ritual. However it is quite hard to determine how a ritual fits together without facts. And then the ritual style is oft' predetermined by the caster's... shall we say, allegiances?" It wasn't exactly wise that the elder vampire was baiting the two Tremere, but neither was she in particular danger from them, if she were as old as Rita expected.

"Our conjectures involve interpretation of the legend and the actions of the five which we can't fully detail. Not to mention bits of information which we aren't sure how or even if they are applicable. Based on that legend, it would seem, you could tell us far easier than our search will merit actionable results." The young woman (both in appearance and in relative age) tilted her head to the side a little, regarding the Hydra with steely eyes. "Or would you have us attempt to act on naught but our guesses? That seems uncharacteristic of one who has guarded a danger for so long. If it is hard to answer such open-ended questions, perhaps a smaller one might be in order? Does the creature who escaped your isle have the ability to manifest a shadow body, or was that another player on the game board?" Her lips tried to quirk up in a smile, but failed to actually hold the expression. "The more players, the more complicated the game."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 05-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Phettberg's Avatar
Phettberg Phettberg is offline
Use your words
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 7848
Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg Phettberg
Posts: 5,076
With time Adina settled into the clammy fear that she had felt upon seeing the Hydra. The beast that speaks was somehow less troubling to her, even though their guest was taking stabs at the Pyramid. It was tame compared to what she had expected.

So this demon had shackled a person. An entity? Could have been anybody or anything, but if the assumed that the released had caused death, maybe was even one and the same shadowy thing that had attacked one of them not so long ago. The five had released it maybe? This Hydra made it sound like whatever it had been it was now up to the five here to imprison it again.

But if it was an evil that the hydra had held captive on her domain, then what did that make her? Benevolent? It did not seem very likely. Was that the why she alluded to? Why or how did she come to be the keeper of somebody that may or may have not caused pain to nearby kindred and was now loose in Portage. Such a thing could possibly be, thought Adina to herself, or does the Spider not eat many insects that might bring illness to other beings? Then again she seemed indifferent to not holding this 'who' anymore. Possibly the five had done her a favour. Maybe the demon had gotten something out of this deal.

Adina would just have to ask her. Fas est et ab hoste doceri, as Ovid had said. It's right to be taught even by an enemy.

She also hated that she feared this being, so thinking about speaking to it on equal terms made Adina almost physically wince. It was a hysterical urge to prod and probe their guest, see if she really knew everything. If this was an elder it was not unlikely it had at some point come from the old country. Adina was compulsed to use her native tongue - language of enslavement for many a medieval baltic country. It was like an atavistic compulsion. Dangerous.

"Why did you shackle it in your domain?Warum hast du es in deinem Heim gefesselt," Adina blurted out. "What was your gain? Your Pay? Not benevolence towards the city, surely?Was war dein Gewinn - dein Lohn? Wohl kaum Wohlwollen der Stadt gegenüber."

She looked in the things eyes, alternating between this and that colour. Trying to see if there was comprehension, anger, anything. But a second or two of looking was all she dared. Eyes had power, after all.

Last edited by Phettberg; 05-04-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 05-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is offline
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 14958
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 5,090
All the thou-ing and hast-ing is an unexpected affectation. Creatures of such obvious age and malleability should be able to adapt. It makes Leesa all the more curious about what this Hydra's angle is. Why do they choose to bend in some ways but not others?

They do seem to come in ready to provoke the whole group. That certainly seems predictable. Of course, Leesa is always up for an argument. Talking expressively woth her hands, she retorts,

"Black and white are tools of power. Answers are never absolute, sure. But one's Will can be. That might seem aimless to the masters. Or cynics. Or those who profit from the night's unfairness. If the options are rage, or knuckling under, well, then I know which I'll pick."

Leesa catches a look from Rita, and stops her response. Rita is taking point. Let her steer the negotiations. Leesa re-crosses her arms and just adds, "Knowledge comes before action. First comes one, then we plan the other. Bad information makes for bad action. We're listening."
__________________
GM of Monsterhearts (an RPGX exclusive!)
Currently co-running Outplay 2019 (5e GM). Round 1 is done, come and see how it turned out! Round 2 starts July 22.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 PM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is online now
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 10908
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,438
Thomas could hear everything that was going on, despite his relative detachment. Alec continued to hold himself well. He gave his name smoothly and added to the general request for information. The Gangrel admired the man a bit, with his easy ability to talk and to deal with things. Thomas himself was ever on the edge.

The words kept coming too. The Hydra spoke in riddles, ones that the young man didn't really even begin trying to parse. Rita spoke too, with conviction, stressing their new place. Asking after players and ritual and legend. A lot of stuff that Thomas didn't really understand. Adina continued to speak in her foreign language and Leesa tried to cut to the heart of things. She was wary of bad information.

But the voice that Thomas really paid attention to was the one that echoed across his soul. The chill that raised his hackles and the presence that settled on his right hand side.

Thomas closed his eye for a moment as he tried to summon his voice and his courage. He knew that this was a horrible time and place for him to shift personalities, so his mutterings and his thoughts came slowly. Carefully. After several moments though, Thomas muttered carefully, "I call... I need to know stuff. What is the mirror to the Malkavian? And who is that? What do you sense from her?I cll... I nee t nw stff. Wht ss the mrrrr t th mlkivn? Nd wh ss tht? Wht dd ou sns frm hr?"
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 AM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 9270
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,283
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
In spite of the Dragon's attempts to belittle and undermine him, as well as his clan, or so it felt to Alec, he had if anything managed to recuperate more of his figurative mask's fragments. Fortunately Rita was there to counter and continue the questions whilst the Tremere recovered from the initial shock of this encounter and was left dealing with the horror and unease that remained in its wake. His respect and appreciation for their newest(from his perspective) member was rising by leaps and bounds. What Adina said to the Fiend he did not catch, as he had never bothered to learn the language in which she said it. Perhaps he ought to pay more attention to the matter on languages and tongues in future nights? Surely his memory would make learning them easy enough. Leesa, their own personal attorney as he was often thinking of her, was quick to jump in with a valid argument at the nearest opening after the others.

Thomas, Thomas looked perhaps a bit out of depth, yet had held up well. Certainly far more than the warlock had anticipated of him, the pleasant surprise of which would have brought an honest smile onto his face if not for their current predicament. He also managed to make out the gangrel's question, but was unsure who he was speaking with. Alec did hope he received a clearish answer for it. That might be too easy a thing to actually happen however. His gaze was brought back around to Hydra, as she called herself. "Given the information we had at our disposal, while person or entity was the most likely candidate for what was contained, an object or even a specific place could have been the subject of this mess. With that in mind, what served just as well as whom. After all, assuming tends to lead towards problems of the self inflicted variety." Alec's confidence returns, at least on the surface.

Deep down a voice of common sense was telling him to stop, but he had already started, as he had the night before, the warlock possessed no intention of stopping. Instead he nods briefly to Rita before continuing. "She is right, you know. This was on your domain, your seat of power as it were. I have to wonder, was this entity's escape facilitated by negligence in maintaining whatever seal you had in place, or by your incompetence in managing your domain when the others, our predecessors, were present on the island? Or was it a different failing on your part? The end result either way is that this is your mess, and we just so happen to be the ones generous enough to at least try and clean it up for mockinglythou, I believe the least you could do is not only be truthful, but more importantly be straight to the point." Cocking his head to one side he continued. "I do have a love for legends, riddles, and the abstract, but this is surely neither the time nor the place."

 

__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 05-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Kapera's Avatar
Kapera Kapera is offline
The penguins are coming!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-17-2019
RPXP: 16270
Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera Kapera
Posts: 3,212

Those eyes seemed content to drift about, to flit from individual to individual, never resting, never pausing, not even when they fell on who sought to speak at that time. It seemed she, it listened to them, considered their words and stood there still in a measure of quiet amusement. In the stillness which fell at the end, a small, rich chuckle as those altered eyes fell their full weight upon Adina. The words which were spoken were light, almost mocking, lilted in a tone which suggested almost song, or poetry even.
Cause you are, what you eat, and you know what it is?
Denn du bist, was du isst, und ihr wisst, was es ist??


Words spoken, words left as it seemed whatever had been said was all they felt needed as their attention turned to the next of the Tremere, the curve of a wicked, delighted grin made itself known as her head, her upper body shifted, swayed with hints of a serpentine undulation. "Son of thieves, thou dislike my preference for the speech of days past, of a time when there was more propriety and elegance shared in the joining of words, wouldst thou prefer that I lower myself to thy current language, to the coarse vernacular?

So you homies be thinking that somehow this shiznit of trouble be all dropped on mah turf, so all the low down trouble making crapola storm is my fault, is that it bro? Ya'll leet mofo's who think you know the low down, got it all sorted out and you just be looking for a MarySue to blame it on?"


Her voice dropped an octave as the measure and cadence, as well as outright style of speech effortlessly switched, though this time there was an equal level of mockery in the tone to match Alec's own. Only once she had finished the little 'tirade' did her body fall still once more, a flash in the bronzed orb. "Little thief, I did not give thee your quest, nor did I summon thee, thou called me, just as they sought me out. That I kept what was lost, is no lie, that it was my job to keep, true, but that it was I who failed, no, no you, your kind, your city failed me in my keeping, and when death stole those who held the veil taut, none were offered to replace. Your foolish battles, of sword and tower, it is thee who has failed me little thief. I guarded they who your Master wished kept, it was not I who placed them into the ground, it is not I who needs to return them to their place of rest.


The young one is correct, listening, this is what thou ought to do, listen."
The last word was stressed as her gaze rose toward Thomas a moment before it settled on Waif, lips twitched into a smile, wry and amused as the Gangrel stared back, icy and cold, not the blissful child she often appeared to be in that moment.

"Margarita, lost daughter, lostling, thou called, wouldst thou now listen? A ritual was carried out, on the points of a pentagram, five, thou are correct in thy numbering. Yet before such a thing, thou must understand that this was but a cascade, a tumbling of dominoes in the wake of the inferno, and now, now is the wave as it crests, will it consume or be shattered upon the break water? The fire holds your answers, and once those have been obtained, only then will what I have to offer hold any sense for thee."

 
__________________
Family over July 18-Aug 2: See you when I get back

Last edited by Kapera; 05-08-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 9270
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,283
Alec Thorne
right-aligned image
Alec smirks, an action that is entirely genuine. "I specified straight to the point as well as implied a more modern method of speaking yes. If you believe that the most relevant modern dialect to represent you is that of an almost clean mouthed gangbanging hoodlum from south side Chicago with a penchant for electronic entertainment and fanfiction, by all means, that is your choice. I assure you, it could not possibly make me think less of you. As for maintaining your current method of speech, all I see is a pitiful excuse in an attempt to cover the innate laziness that is preventing yourself from keeping with the advance of time." The smile widens. "Which of course only lends evidence to your negligent incompetence regarding matters in your care." Leaning back, Alec paused for a moment, thoughts drifting back to a word in particular. "I am however curious in whom you would claim to be my master."


__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 AM
JackinIrons's Avatar
JackinIrons JackinIrons is online now
This Guy!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 10908
JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons JackinIrons
Posts: 1,438
Thomas shivered as he stood apart from the others, his mind dancing between the voice that sounded his head and those from the others he didn't really want to be with. He heard Alec speak, and he seemed to be trying to force the Hydra to speak more clearly. He almost cringed at the way the man seemed to be mocking the strange looking woman. The Gangrel couldn't help but wonder if it was something like that which drove the Dragon to withhold her help before.

But Thomas didn't have time to think about the others. His mind was still distracted by the voice, by the presence. He wished that things would stop speaking in riddles, though he usually liked riddles. The word games helped to sharpen, to strengthen his mind, and he had always needed it to be strong.

Still muttering, Thomas did his best to think like a Malkavian in the face of the riddled words. He repeated the core of what he heard, "Truth... Possibility... Don't get trapped...Trth... possblty... dn't git trpp... Hmmm..." He tossed several thoughts in his mind, loose bits of sayings, phrases and proverbs. Something that might make the Malkavian worldview normal.

His train of thought was interrupted by the woman he had been trying to separate himself from. Thomas didn't know much German, but he knew music. And he knew that this particular song was inspired by cannibalism.

Thomas looked down and scuffed his feet as his mind raced, and he shook as he tried to get himself to put the pieces together. From before, from his companions, from the Hydra, from the voice. The spirits spoke of quarreling with her. As he tried to compose his own shattered mind, he could hear Alex continue his own quarrel with the other. Thomas shook his head hard, as if her were trying to cast off his own misgivings.

'Truth... What is Possible... Traps the Mind... Steals the Soul... You are what you eat... Listen... Crimson Crown... Warnings... It hunts in Shadows... Five kept the veil taut...'

Thomas screwed his eye shut as he took his head in his hands. Internally he scolded himself. He needed to keep it together. He tried again, trying to put it all together, 'The Malkavians look into the mirror. Hold it in high regard. They see true things, they see possibilities but if they look too much... Could it be? Is the mirror the glimpses into the future? Maybe... maybe not...'

The young Gangrel finally looked to the other, though he shrunk back even as he did so. The Hydra had answers, but one had to know how to listen. Thomas bit his lip then did his very best to speak, even if it wasn't very impressive, "S...So... what do y..you eat? Why do the sp...spirits oppose you, who g...guard the d...dead of island? What part did my... m...mother play? Or Charlotte? She... was the c...crimson crown, right? And do y...you see in the m...mirror? The... future?" Thomas was visibly shaking in fear as he spoke, though it wasn't only the Hydra that frightened him. He hoped that his own simple questions, paired with some of his guesses, would amuse her enough to get something back.
__________________
Life and hospitals suck at times. Starting to catch up now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB