Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Curse of Strahd
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17935
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 22, Szerda 10:05PMAubron’s feet touched the ground with nary a sound as he slid off the roof and crept closer to the huddled figure that lay at the Burgomaster’s front door. The Ranger cautiously approached, arrow nocked and at the ready but he quickly realizes it is not necessary. All sounds of danger have disappeared and the moonlight is more than bright enough for him to see the creature for what it is, what Tarton had already confirmed inside through Kiki’s keen vision… a woman… pierced through her ribcage with an arrow and her blood coating the ground in a dark puddle.

Looking closer, Aubron is astonished to see that the woman is clinging to life… unconscious yet still clutching the queer doll from which a tattered tag hangs. The tag reads Is no fun, is no Blinsky. The words mean nothing to the elf and he can hear the muffled commotion from the other side of the door.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9704
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
The ranger cautiously approached the figure and was actually surprised to see an old woman. She was no hunched fiend. No devil in the night. But, a haggard old crone who seemed to be seeking solace and protection from the Burgomaster.

The elf slung his bow and returned his arrow to the quiver. He then knelt down the woman and inspected her. She was still breathing...barely. He could thank his expert markmanship for the death of this woman, if he was not quick.

He tore a section of cloth from the woman's clothes. Slowly, he retracted the barbed arrow from the wound that came out with an awful sucking sound. He buried it deeply, and was surprised that she was still alive. Perhaps Solonor intervened for the woman, he did not know.

With the scrap of cloth, he tried his best to make a tourniquet. Seated with the woman in his lap, he kicked the door three times <bang, bang, bang> "Open up, Renata! There's a woman out here." he yelled to his companions inside.

Meanwhile, he looked around for signs of the encroaching wolves. It seemed these canines were the driving force around the forest. Wherever they went, the villagers (and the shipwrecked survivors) go too. He made a mental note to track them once the woman was inside.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 05-16-2019, 02:49 AM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8546
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag (click to enlarge)
Maja knuckled under Renata. Of course, the girl saw in the paladin the natural leader of their small band. Apart from this, Maja couldn't deny the truth in the lady's words. Chances that the voice outside was part of a trap were much higher than that there was an actual human — not undead — outside that needed their help desperately. Nevertheless, Maja refused to believe that — as tiny as the chance was — they should rather let the woman die than run any risk falling prey to Strahd's minions.

All the more, Maja was glad about Aubron finally banging the door three times from the outside asking Renata to open the door. The mystic looked expectantly to Lady Renata. As soon as the dark-skinned woman followed the elf's request, Maja rushed out of the door into the dark night.

Her eyes were immediately on the unconscious woman on Aubron's lap. She was so focused that she didn't feel the cold creeping through her thin nighty. Maja dropped to her knees. She bent forward and gently pushed the woman's hair from her face. The woman was barely alive. Aubron's improvised bandage must have prevented the worth.

The girl closed her eyes. The previous day had shown that she still hadn't her psychic powers under control and she was far from understanding them. Maybe she could also use them to help the poor woman as she had promised Renata. As Maja was touching the woman's forehead, she concentrated on her psionic forces, channeled them into beneficial energies and began to flood the limp body of the unconscious woman with them.

Maja still had her eyes closed when the other woman opened her eyes after her wounds had begun to heal at an unnatural rate.[/say]
OOCMove: Outside.
Bonus Action: Stabilize woman through Psychic Focus.
Action: Mend wounds (1 psp): 3 hp healed.
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 22, Szerda 10:07PM
right-aligned image
The door to the manor is unbarred and slowly creaks open, the light from within bathing the front steps with a golden light that falls upon the seated figure of Aubron, gently cradling the stricken woman. A sense of guilt swims in the elf’s eyes as he looks to his companions crowding near the door. The guilt quickly burns away and his eyes harden as the hunter scans the woodline looking for signs of the wolves… for anything that he could exact revenge upon.

Ismark gently pushes his sister behind him as he urges everyone to move out of Aubron and Renata’s way as the large woman brings the near corpse inside the house. The body is sticky and smells of a nauseating mix of filth and blood. Renata’s nose crinkles in disgust as she can tell that this woman was less than well even before tonight… Mad Mary indeed.

Ismark kneels down next to the woman and looks at Maja with some small measure of unease as she places her slender hands upon Mary’s face and attempts to use her burgeoning powers to heal the woman. Mad Mary’s sparkling blue eyes shoot open and the mystic can immediately sense that she is losing the woman… she can almost feel a physical pull as she attempts to draw the women back to the light… to life.

It is too late… Mary, her eyes wild with desperation, looks blindly around the room, “The Devil…,” she whispers, “told me… find Ismark” The frail body gives a final bone rattling convulsion and lies still, blood and human waste now coating the floor.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
As the door opened to reveal the golden light emanating from inside, Aubron relaxed. He knew the warm hearted Maja and the stoic, yet righteous, paladin would take care of the figure that he tried so hard to save. He was saddened when his makeshift bandages proved to be worthless. It was just another life that had succumbed to the evil that had invaded Barovia. "The devil..." the woman said in her last, dying breath. "We will see you soon enough, Strahd." Aubron thought to himself in reply.

And with that, the hunt was on. He quickly called Iados over to him and asked the druid to provide some extra nature magic to help in his search for the wolves. Feeling a wave of extra sensory guidance, Aubron left his companions at the threshold. "I will return," was all that he said to them before turning around suddenly. His cloak whisked behind him, and the others saw him leave the house in a blur.

Aubron went to the treeline where he last sensed the wolves were before they ran off to places unknown. It was fairly easy to track them with the broken sticks and the smell of fresh urine. He blended into the night and moved with amazing speed. He was at home in the forest. This was his place, and his domain. The ranger wanted to find out where the wolves were coming from, and how many were in the pack.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 05-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3830
OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool OldSchool
Gareth Blackcroft
left-aligned image

The sight and smell of Mad Mary make Gareth cringe, but he quickly composes himself and makes sure that he is standing between Ireena and the new arrival.

The rogue watches in silence as Maja tries desperately to revive the woman, but even the psychic's powers are not enough to wrestle Mary's soul free from the clutches of this accursed place. Despite Maja's best effort, the woman dies, covered in her own filth and with the knowledge that Strahd has her daughter. Her last words cut through the sliver of sympathy the young rogue feels for the woman, though, and he glances at Ismark.

"Well, that is not encouraging. Ismark, why would Strahd want her to look for you? Is he expecting you to try to save Gertruda?"

Gareth looks over his shoulder to make sure Ireena is still there, before he turns back to the others and frowns as Aubron heads off into the woods.

"We're not even close to being in the clear. Let's get this door locked before we have any more visitors."

OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Natural 20 ;)

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8546
Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master Disaster Master
Maja
left-aligned image
Maja Tallstag (click to enlarge)
For a long time, Maja sat next to Mary's body holding her hand and said nothing. Finally, she slowly stood up and stroked Mary's forehead to close the eyes of the dead.

"Now we have to bury not one but two," Maja uttered in a tearful voice. Standing there shaky-legged, she struggled for words. "I didn't want to fail. I thought I would be strong enough, but that shouldn't have been the time for experiments."

Like a beaten dog, the mystic looked at Renata. "Hadn't I been so cheeky, we would have relied on Tyr's powers and that could have saved Mary's life."

Although the door had been closed again, Maja shivered. "When I tried to bring Mary back to life," she reported and the horror she had felt was still painted on her face, "I felt the devil pulling at Mary's soul into the other direction. It was him who was stronger than me and who had wrested Mary from life! What will he make out of her? Another ghost or banshee?"

She shook her head, trying to drive these memories away. After a while, she looked up again. "Where's Aubron?" she suddenly asked puzzledly. Hadn't he brought the woman inside?
Psychic Focus

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 05-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 890
Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin Aladdin
Iados Open
right-aligned image

Iados shook himself as Aubron barked out for help and he rushed over, forgetting his northern watch. He closed his eyes and rested a hand on the elf’s shoulder, pulling in energy from the earth and channelling it through his extremities into Aubron. His arm tingled and he shivered briefly, and it wasn’t until he opened his eyes he noticed Aubron had gone.

He glanced around, surprised, eyes wide. He saw the body of the woman, meek and ragged. Darrell wasted no time and Iados nodded as he began to direct them, everyone still shaken slightly by the sight of the woman’s body. He helped shut the door and lock the heavy latch once again, before darting back down the corridor and looking out of the northern window.

As he skittered away, he heard Maya and her voice brought out goosebumps, as she mentioned the devil pulling at souls. The thought sent a shiver down his spine, a cold chill creeping through him despite his fur and leather wrappings. He stared off through the northern window and as Maya asked, he mumbled a response, ”He’s gone hunting.”

OOC

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Old 05-17-2019, 06:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6353
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Renata Tyrfille
left-aligned image

"Aubron..." Renata begins disapprovingly as the ranger takes off, but it is too late. She re-bars the door with Iados, then considers Mary's stinking remains as the others discuss the situation. When Maja says the word "ghost," Renata suddenly looks at her with some concern, recalling the debilitating encounter with the nanny in the Durst house. "Was she sent to lure you out, or to breach our lines?" the paladin asks. She shakes her head. "Folly to search for reason from the devil.

"Still, this is a danger,"
Renata says, looking at the body again. Then she appropriates a small rug and begins using it to collect and wrap the remains. "We will keep her body outside until morning.

"Tarton,"
she reminds the halfling while pointing upwards, "until Aubron returns, we rely on you entirely."

Mechanics

Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
The CastleKiki watches from the manor rooftop, the owl’s eyes shining in the moonlight, as wraithlike, Aubron disappears into the night. The elf nimbly leaps over twisted above ground roots, prowling through the darkened forest… a predator.

In moments, Aubron finds the trail of the skulking wolves, a blind man could have found it as there was no effort to conceal the myriad of footprints that traverse the eerie wood. The hunter continues on… a rough estimation… at least fifteen wolves… maybe more… no matter.

Pushing forward, Aubron can see, rising like a eroded grave marker from the gloom, a massive two-tiered cliff face that rises high up into the night sky. The wolf tracks split in both directions hugging the sides of the cliff and as the elf’s keen eyes follow the rock face skyward, the ranger is stopped dead in his tracks. There above him looms the Devil’s castle, Not the least glimmer of light escapes the castle's tall black windows. Its broken battlements sketching a jagged line across the darkened sky. The castle broods over the bleak, mist-shrouded valley.

A tremendous howl splits the still air and Aubron sees, seated on the edge of the lower cliff, a massive black wolf… alone. The wolf’s shining red eyes seem to study the vengeful elf.

AutopsyRenata inspects the ragged women’s rapidly cooling corpse for any other visible wounds. What she finds turns her stomach. Mad Mary’s body is covered by open sores and scabs... the woman had apparently been picking herself to pieces. Looking at her scalp, maja notices the missing clumps of hair. Mary had no other injuries... only those that had been self-inflicted.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 05-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
The elf found himself face to face with death itself. The red eyed monster stared him down, and the cover of trees gave him no comfort at all. It was as if the intelligent force behind those eyes peered directly into Aubron's heart and soul. And that feeling, the chill of the grave, invoked a fear so primal that it made him stop in his tracks.

The other wolves had run off to places unknown. In the short time, he inspected the castle that stood before him and the blood, red moon that shone over it. He knew that he would see this place again, but tonight was not the right time for this confrontation.

For what seemed like an eternity, he looked upon the huge, black wolf. Somewhere in his mind, he knew that this was ultimately his quarry. The hunter studied the creature and committed as much as he could to his memory. He memorized the trail, the markers in the foliage, and the beast itself.

And then he spoke without saying a word. If this was indeed the vampire Strahd, he suspected that his message would be received. If he was wrong, then so be it. His thoughts gave him strength and solidified his resolve.

"Your time in this place will come, Strahd. Whether it be by my hands or others, it will come. For now, I pray to Solonor himself that you will take heed and leave this place. Leave this forest, and leave these people. To refuse will mean your undoing."

Aubron waited for no answer. Just as quickly as he left the Burgomaster's house, he pounced down from his perch atop the rotten log that he spied the wolf. His cloak whisked behind him, and he was off. He ran and ran for his life. All the while, he listened for the pursuit of unnatural predators looking to destroy him.

As he ran, he prayed.

"Solonor Thelandira, give me strength. Bless me with your feet, your eyes and your ears. Your forest is corrupted, and I swear to you, I shall see it cleansed. For this I pray until the day I greet you upon the sturdy branches of The Great Pale Tree."
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 05-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
The Wolf
right-aligned image
It takes every single fibre of courage in his lithe elf frame but Aubron stands his ground in the presence of evil incarnate. The fear so overwhelming that the thought of speaking is quickly dismissed… the words wouldn’t of come anyway. The beast can hear him… the hunter knows… the manner in which the death wolf is looking through him… silently judging.

Your time in this place will come, Strahd, Aubron mentally projects, Whether it be by my hands or others, it will come. For now, I pray to Solonor himself that you will take heed and leave this place. Leave this forest, and leave these people. To refuse will mean your undoing.

Ultimatum delivered, Aubron turns to flee, a fervid prayer escaping his lips. As he does, out of the corner of his eye, he sees an immense cloud of screeching bats rise up from behind the motionless wolf. The living cloud sweeps forward, the sounds of flapping wings deafening. The bats block out the illuminating light of the moon as the swarm streaks after the fast retreating elf.

OocAubron needs to make 2 dex/acrobatics checks as he runs for his life. No disadvantage.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 05-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
Aubron Wranlana
left-aligned image
Aubron
As he ran, the forest became denser and denser. The underbrush almost seemed to come alive when greenish tendrils of foliage tried to wrap themselves around his ankles. Nimbly, the elf darted this way and that. He hopped over a large bush, and a clearing emerged up ahead. Basked in the crimson hue of the moon, it was his refuge. His safe place.

But, a shadow fell from the sky. Blocking out all light in the clearing, a cloud of bats came swooping down. They were waiting for him, and they wanted blood. Their beady red eyes seemed to hone in on the elf, and he thought he was done. More of Strahds mindless minions were going to overtake him. Aubron knew the end was near.

To his amazement, however, a voice spoke in his head. At first, he thought that Strahd was finally going to speak. But this voice was calm, ethereal, and used his native tongue. "My child", it said. "You are my chosen one. Go with my blessing and my heart. Destroy the evil that has infected my forest." A light filled his eyes, and Aubron began to move with amazing speed. He slid down beneath the mass of writhing bats. Somehow, he found himself on the far side looking back at the bats. Solonor had answered his call and saved him.

With a relaxed breath, he turned back to the safety of the forest. In a blink of an eye, he was gone. Back to his new friends.
Actions

Stat Block

Character Sheet

Last edited by Shaede; 05-17-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
Barovia: Tizenegyedik 22, Szerda 10:30PM
right-aligned image
Those huddled in the house noticed Tarton’s body tense and then begin to shake. Glancing at each other with wide eyes you hear a slight roar, growing closer by the second. The roar… a sound unlike anything any of you have experienced, is painful… almost dropping you to your knees. The high pitched fluctuation builds to a crescendo and the halfling sees through Kiki’s eyes, a sight that is almost too terrible to behold.

Aubron is sprinting out of the forest as fast as the elf possibly can… and looming behind him, a veritable wall of ravenous bats, screaming their fury with such conviction that it threatens to burst the eardrums of any who hear.

Aubron clears the trees and heads straight for the back door… he has no chance to make it to the front in time.
OocSomeone has to open the back door: Strength or athletics check needed DC 12
Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5122
ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones ColdBones
Tarton Wetfeet
left-aligned image
Tarton Wetfeet
Tarton left Kiki with instructions to let him know if the bats caught Aubron. His pupils appeared in his eyes and he scrambled over to the landing, a cold sweat trickling down his back. A swarm! A swarm of bats! "Quickly! The back door. Open it! Aubron is coming and he is being chased. Someone open that door and let him in - make sure you close it as soon as he is in!! The enemy approaches!! A swarm of bats is chasing him. Quickly, prepare yourselves!!" He did not try to disguise the fear in his voice. He was scared for the ranger, felt the icy cold grip of that fear like a cold dagger

He looked to Gareth, the quickest of them all and his eyes pleaded with the man. His eyes clouded over again as he entered Kiki's senses and sent the bird down to Aubron to help.

OOCAction:
Movement:
Reaction:
OOC:
Rolls:
Stat Block

Character Sheet