Game Thread Chapter I - The Fall of Willow Grove - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Broken Isles > Closed Chapters
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-28-2020
RPXP: 7992
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 3,785
Chapter I - The Fall of Willow Grove

Monsters in the darkYou wake to the sound of the town bell ringing frantically only to stop a moment later. It is still dark outside. You can make out screams from men and women, mixed with the sounds of fire and wood breaking, while the occasional strange snarl adds to the cacophony.

As you step outside, the world is plunged into chaos. Men, women and children alike are running, screaming and crying in equal measure. Chickens, pigs, horses and other animals are running loose through the town, many show signs of injury and others already lie dead on the ground.

Flames have begun to angrily consume several houses, wagons and other wooden objects scattered around town. Even those races not predisposed to seeing in the dark have no difficulty witnessing the carnage surrounding them.

right-aligned image
Then, the air seems to shimmer for a brief moment in a circular pattern in front of you and a short humanoid creature appears where nothing stood before. With dark, greenish skin, long pointed ears and a mouth filled with sharp-looking teeth, it scans the area for a moment before setting into motion.

You realize in horror that these creatures are scattered across the entire town and the obvious source of the carnage. Some of them are simply killing anything that crosses their paths, while others seem to be dragging kicking and screaming townsfolk away from the village into the surrounding forest.

The raging fire intensifies and part of the wall to the building that houses Willow Grove's single jail cell collapses, providing just enough room for those trapped inside to escape. Likewise, the town smithy's house and shop have nearly been consumed by fire, the interior a mass of glowing timber, while residents and travelers alike continue to venture outside, the grim reality of the scene unfolding before them reflected in their wide eyes.

An older man is standing near the well in the center of town, shouting for everyone to head to the Whispering Caves north of town.




Map Notes
  • All players are represented by a token corresponding to the # represented on the initiative chart below.
  • Enemies have a number above their heads for tracking in addition to a counter showing their remaining hp.
  • A red token on the board shows the general direction to escape from town (for clarity purposes)
  • The blue numbers beside the goblins are their health.


Initiative
Group # Character Initiative AC HP
Group 1 20 Poulde 24 14 8/8
Group 1 8 Conlin “Blackthumb” 21 13 8/8
Group 1 11 Gilligg the Goatherder 21 14 7/7
Group 1 15 Koki Greentea 21 13 9/9
Group 1 9 Bernard Lakurion 20 10 9/9
Group 1 1 Taos Bookman 16 13 8/8
Group 1 4 Thorgrim Steelbreaker 15 11 9/9
Group 1 12 Roscoe 13 15 6/6
Group 1 7 Glennon Greystou 12 11 9/9
Group 1 18 Brasil Regnault 12 13 8/8
Group 2 Goblins 11  
Group 3 2 Joshua Moore 11 12 9/9
Group 3 21 Enola 11 14 7/7
Group 3 3 Marcus Dorlu 10 13 9/9
Group 3 19 Alaric Ingmarr 10 13 8/8
Group 3 5 Bodo Stursk 9 11 10/10
Group 3 16 Adam Khrome 8 12 9/9
Group 3 6 Jorge Swenson 7 13 10/10
Group 3 14 Vidri 7 14 10/10
Group 3 17 Maighan 5 12 8/8
Group 3 13 Donovan Whistler 4 14 8/8
Group 3 10 Gorbug 3 11 9/9

Goblins
# AC HP
1 13 7/7
2 13 7/7
3 13 7/7
4 13 7/7
5 13 7/7
6 13 7/7
7 13 7/7
8 13 7/7
9 13 7/7
10 13 7/7

DM NotesHow will you survive the night? Will you attempt to sneak past your enemies, rely on your arms and armor to protect you, rush to defend others in needed or push them out of you way? Your decisions (and a little luck) will determine your fate.

Some rules before we start:
  • You are starting in combat. I will be rolling initiative for everyone (This will be posted before we begin). Players will be part of group 1 or 3. Once a player's group can take their action, players can make their post in any order. Players will always be notified whose turn it is to act. Not all players will be present on the map initially. Only enemies and group 1 will appear on the map to start. During the 1st round, as each initiative group takes their action, they will be added to the map. This is to reflect the fact that everyone is waking up/reacting to the threat and not responding at the exact same time. For example, there might be 4 players starting at the tavern, but they might be exiting the building at different times.
  • Once it is your group's turn to take their action, everyone will have 48 hours to make their post. If a player does not post within that time, I will assume that your character stays where they are.
  • Unless you slept with your weapon in your hand (attempt to be somewhat realistic here), you will need to grab your weapon (move action). As donning armor takes at least 1 minute (fitting a shield is 1 action), unless you slept in it, you will not be wearing armor this night.
  • On each of your turns, I will need to know your movement, action, and bonus action. A battle map will be used (A link will be provided before we start). Due to the size of the map, I will not be using grid coordinates. Instead, you will just indicate how many spaces (each grid square = 5') you are moving and in which direction(s) (i.e. 3 right, 1 up)
  • A number will be displayed on the initiative list beside everyone's name. This is the number that will be used to represent your character on the battle map.
  • Due to the number of players acting in the same turn, I will be providing stats on your enemies (including their hp). This will allow everyone that is engaging the enemy to know if their attacks hit, how many hp they have left, and which enemies died before I actually make the official update in my posts.
  • Enemy starting locations will be selected at random. Also, enemies will continually appear. The strategy of killing everything and then escaping will not work.

Possible Player Outcomes:
  • Knocked Unconscious - You have been reduced to 0 hp. The standard death saves will apply. If you manage to make 3 death saves while at least 1 other player is alive and active on the map, you will stabilize with 1 hp and be able to take action on your following turn. If no other active players that are alive are on the map, then any characters that are unconscious will be considered to have been killed.
  • Killed Outright - As normal, if any player is hit by damage and reduced to 0 hp and the excess damage is equal to or greater than their max hp, they are killed instantly.
  • Captured - The enemy is also attempting to capture some of the townspeople. If an enemy successfully grapples a player and is able to drag them off the edge of the map into the southern forest or maintain a grapple for 3 consecutive terms (They will be teleporting away with the player), then the player is considered to have been killed.
  • Escape - If the player manages to escape the attack on the town, they will continue on to the area beyond the town.

 

__________________
GM Updates Currently on - Broken Isles: Saturdays | Wylde Wood: Mondays | East of the Misty Mountain: Sundays | Blood & Tears: Fridays | Fate of the Fallen: Tuesdays

status: Out of town through 10/3 - Posting limited | Star Traveler - Applications Open

Last edited by Silent Rain; 06-03-2019 at 08:45 PM.
  #2  
Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 PM
Stadiumite Stadiumite is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-27-2020
RPXP: 1435
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Posts: 1,610
Taos was startled by the surprise attack, as anyone would be. But he got his head about him quickly. He grabbed his shield, but did not attempt to fit it. Instead he threw it over his back by it's strap. He didn't really know how to use it properly, but it may come in handy later. Then he picked up his quarterstaff. Earlier that day, he asked Koki to toss gourds at him so he could splatter them in mid air. A little practice for what was to come, it turns out.

He could see the attackers, whatever they were. Small creatures, not even as big as his halfling companion. There was one to his left, less that 10 feet away. And another on the right. He gripped his quarterstaff with both hands. He would stand his ground for now. But if one dared approach, he was ready to crack its skull.

"Koki, grab your weapon! Stay together. There's one on your right, and another up by Poulde and Blackthumb. Don't worry. They're small."

 



 



Last edited by Stadiumite; 06-04-2019 at 08:01 PM.
  #3  
Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM
Draidden's Avatar
Draidden Draidden is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-27-2020
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Posts: 803
Brasil quickly glances around as he takes in what is happening. He realizes he has to get out of there, but first he needs to get rid of the ugly little guy right in front of him. Just my luck I walked out and have one of them in my face.

Dice dagger attack:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
Dice dmg:
1d4+3 (1)+3 Total = 4

Dice off hand dagger:
1d20 13
Dice dmg:
1d4 4


Brasil launches an all out attack against the goblin in front of him. Having dropped the goblin he dashes around the building to the right. Seeing the Horse there he tries to grab its harness in prep of using it to get the heck out of here.

 


 

Last edited by Draidden; 06-03-2019 at 11:04 PM.
  #4  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:18 PM
Impaleddearan's Avatar
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan is offline
The Dread Lord
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-25-2020
RPXP: 957
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Posts: 655
I wake up to horrific sounds of burning and screaming. I had fallen asleep outside through the night and was immediately able to see the village was aflame. The heat of the fire made sure I was not cold but the small creature running around may want to take care of that. I look to my left and see someone else on the ground as well. As m eyes come into focus, the smaller figure of a creature comes into my focus. I immediately begin to look around and search for my dagger which is not in my hand.

"Hey You, is the goblin dead? Did you kill it? We should stick together. "
I shout to the person to is running into the building. I follow them into the building on my right.

 


 
__________________
“The imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.”
_______________________________________
DM - Curse of Strahd, Descent into Avernus, GameMother of Alien
I swear upon the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Impaleddearan; 06-03-2019 at 11:22 PM.
  #5  
Old 06-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Mrjoegangles's Avatar
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-28-2020
RPXP: 2299
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Posts: 1,798
Out of the Cell into the Fire
right-aligned image
The Blackthumb
The sound of screams, the heat from the flames, the surge of adrenaline as battle spilled out all around. This was a tune Conlin was very familiar with, this was the song of Chaos, and no one danced with her quite like The Blackthumb. In the aftermath of the jail cell’s destruction as Conlin pushes past the other prisoners for freedom he sees one of the strange creatures in front of him. ”Sorry you ugly blighter, my dance card is full.”
Some say discretion is the better part of valor. But that’s just nonsense people spout when they cannot admit they are cowards. Luckily this is a problem Conlin has never had, he IS a coward and fighting is the quickest way to get a foot of steel in the belly. With no more words left to say Conlin dives for the flaming crate north of him. Trying to jump over it and withdraw from danger. Crawling onto all fours he slips into the shadows, using the light of the fire behind him to ruin the vision of any pursuers. Feeling about him as he crawls he looks for any stick or rock to defend himself with as he flees towards salvation.

Stats
 


OOCIgnore the gobbo, push past my fellow prisoners, jump the flaming crate, head north to the trees, sneak around the perimeter to the man promising safe harbor.
 
__________________
DMing: Last of the Hunters
Playing: Jayson Nesbitt , Thron, Zel

Last edited by Mrjoegangles; 06-04-2019 at 12:40 PM.
  #6  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 AM
RadarD's Avatar
RadarD RadarD is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-24-2020
RPXP: 1668
RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD RadarD
Posts: 3,569
Roscoe(#12)
left-aligned image

Running out of the tavern with the others Roscoe was confused by the chaos, everyone seemed very upset and there was a man shouting to head tot he caves. Roscoe like the caves so that sounded like a good idea and these small green creatures seemed mean.

Moving towards the center of town he quickly noticed a group of the green creatures gathered there, without much thought he turned to the right and headed in to the rocks. "Find a hidey hole, yes I will, then the caves." he thought to himself as he stealth of 10hid his small body among the rocks.


OOCFor next round how climbable does it look like these rocks are?


Actions & Rolls
 


 

Last edited by RadarD; 06-04-2019 at 07:59 AM.
  #7  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Draidden's Avatar
Draidden Draidden is offline
Ancient Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-27-2020
RPXP: 1332
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Posts: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draidden View Post
Brasil quickly glances around as he takes in what is happening. He realizes he has to get out of there, but first he needs to get rid of the ugly little guy right in front of him. Just my luck I walked out and have one of them in my face.

Dice * dagger attack:
1d20+3 (14)+3 Total = 17
Dice * dmg:
1d4+3 (1)+3 Total = 4

Dice * off hand dagger:
1d20 13
Dice * dmg:
1d4 4


Brasil launches an all out attack against the goblin in front of him. Having dropped the goblin he dashes around the building to the right. Seeing the Horse there he tries to grab its harness in prep of using it to get the heck out of here.

 


 
left-aligned image
Adjustments to this post.

As he starts moving after killing the goblin Brasil hears someone calling out right next to him. He glances over quickly as he starts moving.

I hope its dead. Common then.

As he reaches the horse he quickly puts one dagger away and reaches out grabbing the hrness and tries to calm the beast so he can get on it. And his new friend too.


 

Last edited by Draidden; 06-04-2019 at 09:00 PM.
  #8  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Anea's Avatar
Anea Anea is online now
Dwarven Master-at-Arms
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-28-2020
RPXP: 3928
Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea Anea
Posts: 2,500
The Smith
right-aligned image


Set a ways away from his house for safety, the smith worked into the night, attempting to finish one last order before heading home. It was the flickering light and smell of burning wood that pulled Thorgrim away from the forge. His hammer fell to the ground with a thud at what he saw.

His stout legs carried the dwarf as fast as he could manage toward his home. "Helin!" he screamed as he approached the door, but did not stop. Fire could be seen licking above the thatched roof as his shoulder struck the door, nearly ripping it off its hinges. "Helin!" he screamed again.

"Thorgrim.." came a barely audible response over the sound of the raging fire around him. He never saw the beam fall. It glanced his head in a puff of embers, sending him sprawling to the ground.

He woke a few moments later, still dazed. He was partially pinned under the beam, but his rage and fear for his wife lent him strength beyond his means. He roared as he stood, throwing the glowing wood aside. The house around him was aglow, embers floated everywhere and the heat was overwhelming, but still he pushed onward. "Helin!" He screamed his wife's name once more, but the words caught in his throat.

He saw her then, his wife, his life, lying beneath burning thatch and timbers. He knew she was gone. A tiny wire horse lay nearby, beginning to glow from the heat. Thorgrim's knuckles balled into fists. The sound of townsfolk screaming and creatures shouting and laughing could be heard over the flames.

Thorgrim fell to his knees for a moment sobbing, crying, pleading. "Come back... Come back to me my love." A cackle from the nearby rocks then replaced that sorrow with rage. He reached out and grasped the red hot wire horse and placed it in his front apron pocket. He didn't know why he grabbed the metal toy, he just did. He looked to the far wall of their home for his old warhammer before pulling it down from the crumbling wall.

He exited the front of his house with the look of a wild animal in his eyes, rage consuming him. He sprinted to his left,
Dice * Athletics if Needed:
d20+3 (10)+3 Total = 13
scrambling up the rocky outcropping just beside his home to get within melee range of the little green creature. "DIE YOU BLITHERING CRETIN!" Unfortunately his shout alerted the little goblin to his presence and it dodged
Dice * Two-Handed Warhammer Attack:
d20+3sch13 (9)+3 Total = 12
d10+3 (2)+3 Total = 5
deftly out of path of the hammer. A stone the size of a cannonball shattered from the force of the blow as the dwarf realized he just needed to hit something very hard. Well this might not be good....



OOC
Used your quoted text with some minor adjustments to give my post context

Action: Attack Goblin #3 with a two-handed warhammer attack, missed with 12
Free Action (If necessary):
Bonus Action (If applicable):
Movement: Move right two, down one, then right one more, performing a 13 athletics check if needed to get up the rocks a bit. I should end North East of Goblin #3
Persistent Effects:



 

__________________
"We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk do not flee from a fight. I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me one last time?"

Tomb of Annihilation | Labyrinth | Broken Isles | Descent into Avernus

Last edited by Anea; 06-04-2019 at 09:42 AM.
  #9  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Simandl's Avatar
Simandl Simandl is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-24-2019
RPXP: 1733
Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl Simandl
Posts: 522
Gilligg the Goatherder (#11)
right-aligned image

His cheeses and milk having all been sold, Gilligg had made arrangements with the stable-keep to spend the night in a stall with the single goat he’d brought into town. The straw bedding was plentiful and cozied up with his goat he was both comfortable and warm. He dozed soundly and was gifted, initially, with pleasant dreams...

Morning mushroom picking in the forest, musty smells in the air and his pointy boots moist from the dewy foliage....
Minding the small flock of sheep and goats, the gentle creatures hungry for both the food Gilligg was bringing them, and the attention and affection of their gnomish tender...

The scene shifted to afternoon mealtime, his mother’s cook pot over the fire...savory aroma of mushroom broth in the air and the gentle bleating of the sheep occasionally heard over the crackle of the cook fire....


The bleating grew louder and louder, and now the acrid smell of the cookfire overwhelmed the palate of odors...

The bleating crescendoed into the frantic cries of a goat, and now the screams of men...
A bell clanging an urgent plea...
Smoke billowed in through the small window...


Gilligg awoke with a start, his goat cowering in the corner of the stall and crying in a panic. Hearing the cacophony from outside and his eyes and nose tingling from smoke in the air, the gnome immediately knew something was seriously amiss. He grabbed his gear and made his way to the large, swinging door of the stable. Taking a look back at his cowering, crying goat he decided that it wasn’t going anywhere so he inched open the door and crept outside.... into chaos.

Townsfolk were running and screaming for their lives. Burning buildings belched thick clouds of smoke which, backlit by the flames themselves, illuminated the scene with a morbid glow. Somewhere a man was shouting orders to head for the cave. And then through the haze Gilligg saw them, the grotesque creatures that were the root of all the commotion. Several... Many! All around. And now, stepping out from nowhere, one right beside him!

Fumbling in this horrible, unfamiliar setting Gilligg swings his pack from one shoulder, slinging his arm into the strap, and gets it properly set upon his back. He grips his staff tightly with both hands, knuckles white with tension. Shifting his weight from foot-to-foot, he assessing the foe before him...never having had to do much more than shoo away a hangry coyote or two. Unnerved but knowing he must do SOMETHING, he swings the rough, oaken length at the goblin’s horrible, snarling face.

 


 
Warning: rolls have been deleted from this post.
__________________
”Distilling is beautiful. First of all, because it is a slow, philosophic, and silent occupation, which keeps you busy but gives you time to think of other things, somewhat like riding a bike.” -Primo Levi, The Periodic Table

Last edited by Simandl; 06-04-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fixin typos
  #10  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Reisespieces's Avatar
Reisespieces Reisespieces is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 06-22-2019
RPXP: 466
Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces Reisespieces
Posts: 218
Koki Greentea
right-aligned image
Koki awoke with a start, her heart felt like it would burst out of her chest. She scrambled out of bed, reaching under it quickly to pick up her shortsword that she hid from her parents. Her mother would have been furious to know that she had it but it was her oldest brothers idea. So they could practice with hitting things like logs and melons, giving them a feel for a real sword rather than wood carved into a sword shape.
She ran into the hallway and bumped into her father who was holding a light hammer in his hand. He stopped Koki, grabbing her by the shoulder and brought her close. "Run to safety Koki! Run towards the caves, I'm staying behind to help who I can. We will all meet you there. But you must be safe. I can't be worrying about you."
Anger welled up in Koki as her father implied she would be a liability in helping people, but before she could say anything he shoved her out the front door as he ran out the back. She didn't know where any else from her family was but the cacophony of noise and chaos distracted her. To her left she saw Taos. A small sigh of relief escaped her lips as she saw a friendly face, but his warning drew her gaze to her right.
The small creature snarled at her as Koki raised her sword in defense. She didn't see much option but to fight him as there were still several creatures between her and the cave as well. She swung with all her might but the screaming, hot flames and smoke snaked it's way into her lungs proved to much for the girl who didn't have any actual experience fighting. She missed as the creature danced out of the way. She had almost hit him but the blow didn't quite connect. Fear froze her in place as she stared at the sneering face.

OOC
 

 
  #11  
Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Trapper's Avatar
Trapper Trapper is offline
I enjoyed THACO
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-28-2020
RPXP: 5393
Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper Trapper
Posts: 3,609
Poulde #20
left-aligned image
Poulde's lungs burned as he fled the jail; acrid smoke invading his body. Though the pain was not entirely unwelcome. As his eyes adjusted to the flicker of firelight, the older man got a good eye full of the closest assailant. Short and stubby, with wart riddled green skin. Like some halfling tried to breed with a giant frog.

The -prisoner- scrambled away, making good his escape from justice. Poulde spared a sneer for the weak willed man; a life cowering in the shadows.

As with any playing child unlucky enough to cross paths with him on one of his evening walks, he firmly plants the tip of his staff on the creature's back and shoves.

Regardless of the goblin actually is moved by his attempt, Poulde himself runs toward the blacksmith. The blacksmith, a large bulky man with big hammers. Any similarities between the thief fleeing and himself fleeing are lost on him.


 


 
__________________
Champion Lurker

Last edited by Trapper; 06-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
  #12  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 PM
tom0eh's Avatar
tom0eh tom0eh is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-02-2019
RPXP: 297
tom0eh tom0eh tom0eh
Posts: 124
Glennon Greystout
right-aligned image

At the tavern, Glennon had just finished rolling a fresh keg out for the bartender a few moments earlier. It was an enjoyable night of casual drinking with the handful of people that remained in the tavern later than the supper time crowd. Glennon himself had a fair bit of a buzz going by this point, and new he was going to need to sleep in a bit in the morning to even things out. Thankfully for him, his workers had grown accustomed to this in the past few months and were probably already expecting to do exactly that.

"I'll be right back, everyone! Don't let this party die!" Glennon shouted out to the group as he left the tavern through one of the side doors and saddled up beside the tavern for a leak. With a sigh and a smile and cheeks flushed red from drink, Glennon looked out into the town and took in the scene. This place was home, he knew most of the people here, including many of the traveling merchants that came and went. He'd lived here all his life, and had many friends here - even friends that were his father's originally and so he'd known for over a hundred years. But, Glennon's smile quickly turned to a frown after the sigh, as a heavy ashy scent came into his nose - one that he was not expecting. Blinking hard and trying to think through what it could be, he noticed that the town square was not how he remembered it... it was on fire. Shouting began to fill the air as chaos set in.

"Oh sh-" Glennon began, his voice cut off as the town bell crashed in loudly, its clangs of warning a bit too late as the damage clearly was already done. The sobering effect of his hometown and place he'd lived in for over a hundred years was immediate. Adjusting himself and rushing back inside, Glennon took one last swig of his drink, potentially his very last one, and then set to work pushing people along and out of the tavern. A handful of the people he was guiding he knew immediately were doomed from the start, barely able to stand, let alone flee from whatever was causing all of this. Moving past the bar and out towards the front, Glenn grabbed his handaxe, the butt of which he had just used to tap the now wasted keg moments earlier and ran out into the night.

There, beside the tavern was a short, snarling creature that certainly fit the bill for the attackers in all of this. Further into town, he could see more of them amongst the rest of the chaos. A small halfling was part of the group that had just left, and Glennon Greystout noticed them immediately take for the rocks beside the tavern. Out of all of the people here, he seemed to be one of the few that could actually help out, let alone fend for himself. Behind him, back closer to the tavern, one of the regulars was immediately set upon and dispatched by the raider. With a growl of frustration, Glennon couldn't let this slide. This was his home, his parents' home, and continuing all the way back to the beginning. These people treated him well, cared for his product, and helped him through the loss of his father. Glennon Greystout knew he needed to do something.

"You, young one! Help me with this creature! If we work together we can survive this and share a drink after!" Glennon shouted out to Roscoe before wheeling round and pushing one of the staggering, fearful locals out of the way. Then, through gritted teeth,
Dice Handaxe Attack:
1d20+2sch13 (10)+2 Total = 12
1d6+2 (3)+2 Total = 5
Glennon swung for the attacking creature. If nothing else, he may be able to defend the people that had helped him and his family through all of these years.



 


 

Last edited by tom0eh; 06-04-2019 at 09:48 PM.
  #13  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 PM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is offline
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-28-2020
RPXP: 7992
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 3,785
Round 1 - Group 1Taos exited his home and surveyed the carnage around him, choosing to remain calm and wait for an opportunity to present itself as he prepared for any of the creatures that might come his way.

Brasil stepped from his home to the south and found one of the creatures upon him immediately. Without hesitation he went into action, ducking under the creatures swing, bringing the dagger in his left hand, held blade down, sideways across the creatures chest. Blood sprayed through the air and it let out a shrill scream, but he did not stop. Continuing his momentum, he brought his dagger in his right overhead and plunged it into the beast's green neck. It was dead before it hit the floor.

Brasil noticed a horse to the east, miraculously still alive, but clearly frightened. He rushes past a pair of the creatures. One of them turns and swings as he attempts to dart by, 5 Slicing damageslicing a deep gash in his side, sharp teeth grinning all the while. Wincing from the pain, he quickly rushed over to the animal and grabbed its reigns while stroking its neck briefly, managing to calm the beast for the time being.

Bernard Lakurion came out of his home just in time to see Brasil make quick work of one of the creatures and dart off around the side of his home. Realizing he might not be the worst person to stay close to, he shouted after Brasil, running off in his direction.

As the wall to the jail collapsed from the fire, Conlin “Blackthumb” wasted no time in ceasing the opportunity. Pushing past others in his way, survival was the first thing on his mind. He found himself outside between flames and strange creatures. Choosing to avoid confrontation, he attempted to leap over the burning crates to the north. Before he could get away, he felt a sharp pain across his thigh as the creature's worn curved blade 5 slicing damagesliced his thigh as he turned to run. Placing his hand on the edge of the crate to brace himself, the burning wood broke beneath his weight. Conlin managed to clear the create, but not before falling into its side, getting 1 point of fire damageburnt in the process. He stumbled forward beneath the boughs of burning trees, glowing leaves falling around him, until he came upon a stump of a tree with a hand axe stuck into it.

Roscoe stepped out of the tavern and surveyed the surrounding area. Flames, screaming, and strange creatures brought him toward the rocks rising from the ground north of the tavern. He pressed himself against their surface, attempting to hide from the creatures nearby. Looking up as a possible means of escape, he sees a sheer rock face easily rising ten feet into the air.

Thorgrim exits his burning home, tears and rage in his eyes. He can just make out the sound of one of the creatures beyond the rocky outcropping to the southeast. He attempts to climb its surface, but slides back down, unable to find purchase.

Gilligg stepped out from the stables and came face-to-face with one of the creatures. He swung his staff, but stumbled over the legs of the corpse of a horse, swinging wide.

Koki stepped out of her family home brandishing her shortsword. She saw one of the strange creatures being attacked by others from the town. Feeling emboldened, she stepped forward and swung her sword, but the creature parried her attack, sending the blade out to the side.

Poulde stumbled as another of those locked in the jail with him pushed past. He managed to make his way out of the burning building in time to see the same man fleeing to the north. Looking to the south, he saw one of the creatures that were rampaging through the town. He prodded it with his stick, but the old man did not possess the strength needed to move the goblin. Thinking it better to find those that could protect him, Poulde made his way toward the smithy, staying as clear of the creatures as possible.

Glennon came out of the tavern, doing what he could to get his patrons to safety. Outside, he found one of the creatures and began swinging with his axe. He missed, but did manage to distract it long enough for others to escape.



Round 1 - Group 2Goblin 0One of the creatures shouts something in a guttural language as it swings its blade at Koki, slicing a 6 slashing damagedeep gash down her shoulder and chest

Another Goblin 1creature closest to Brasil watches as he begins to grab the reigns of a horse. It reaches out with a clawed hand, attempting to pull him away from the animal, but Brasil is able to break free of it's grasp.

One of the Goblin 2creatures rushes toward Gillig, attempting to run him through with his sword, but he is able to move aside easily.

The Goblin 3creature on the opposite side of the rocky rise from the smithy, ran around its perimeter, attempting to deal with whatever was shouting and ran directly into Poulde. Unfortunately for him, its blade was raised when it did and 6 Slashing damagepierced his side, leaving a sizeable hole when it ungraciously ripped its blade away.

Another of the Goblin 4creatures watched as Bernard rushed up beside him. Making a shrill noise in what you assume is a laugh, it brings it's blade down toward his head. He dodges out of the way, but the blade still catches a piece of his shoulder, 4 Slashing Damagebiting deep into his flesh.

The Goblin 5creature outside burning jailhouse sees Taos seemingly standing idly and assumed him an easy target. He rushes up to him and raises his sword. Taos however, moves like a loaded spring, sending the end of his staff across the side of the 5 bludgeoning damagecreature's head. Enraged, the goblin throws itself at Taos in an attempt to wrestle him to the ground. The stunned creature is easily cast aside.

A Goblin 6creature is seen running toward the heart of town

The Goblin 9creature that Glennon has attacked lashes back with its own attack, but he jumps to the side and its blade smacks into the railing of the tavern, sending wood chips flying.

In three different locations around town, the air begins to swirl in the now familiar circular pattern and Goblins 11,12,13more creatures begin to appear.



Map Notes
  • All players are represented by a token corresponding to the # represented on the initiative chart below.
  • Enemies are now displayed by a simple token with their number displayed
  • A red token on the board shows the general direction to escape from town (for clarity purposes)
  • To reduce map clutter, enemy hp are no longer displayed


Initiative
Group # Character Initiative AC HP
Group 1 20 Poulde 24 14 2/8
Group 1 8 Conlin “Blackthumb” 21 13 2/8
Group 1 11 Gilligg the Goatherder 21 14 7/7
Group 1 15 Koki Greentea 21 13 3/9
Group 1 9 Bernard Lakurion 20 10 5/9
Group 1 1 Taos Bookman 16 13 8/8
Group 1 4 Thorgrim Steelbreaker 15 11 9/9
Group 1 12 Roscoe 13 15 6/6
Group 1 7 Glennon Greystou 12 11 9/9
Group 1 18 Brasil Regnault 12 13 3/8
Group 2 Goblins 11  
Group 3 2 Joshua Moore 11 12 9/9
Group 3 21 Enola 11 14 7/7
Group 3 3 Marcus Dorlu 10 13 9/9
Group 3 19 Alaric Ingmarr 10 13 8/8
Group 3 5 Bodo Stursk 9 11 10/10
Group 3 16 Adam Khrome 8 12 9/9
Group 3 6 Jorge Swenson 7 13 10/10
Group 3 14 Vidri 7 14 10/10
Group 3 17 Maighan 5 12 8/8
Group 3 13 Donovan Whistler 4 14 8/8
Group 3 10 Gorbug 3 11 9/9

Goblins
# AC HP
1 13 7/7
2 13 7/7
3 13 7/7
4 13 7/7
5 13 2/7
6 13 7/7
7 13 0/7
8 13 7/7
9 13 7/7
0 13 7/7
11 13 7/7
12 13 7/7
13 13 7/7

DM Notes
Group 1
  • Taos stays where is and readies an attack
  • Brasil Regnault kills goblin 7 and moves 30' to the east and attempts to calm a horse
  • Goblin 4 AoO on Brasil for 5 slicing damage
  • Bernard Lakurion follows Brasil to the east
  • Conlin moves to the north, takes 1 fire damage jumping over burning creates and moves through 10' of difficult terrain
  • Goblin 5 AoO on Conlin for 5 slicing damage
  • Roscoe heads to the west and attempts to hide. He finds the rocks north of the tavern to be unscalable.
  • Thorgrim moves tot he SE and fails climbing the rocks there.
  • Gillig attacks goblin 0 and misses
  • Koki attacks goblin 0 and misses
  • Poulde shoves goblin 5 and misses. He then flees to the east.
  • Glennon attacks goblin 9 and misses

Group 2
  • Goblin 0 attacks Koki for 6 slashing damage
  • Goblin 1 grapples Brasil and fails
  • Goblin 2 attacks Gillig and misses
  • Goblin 3 attacks Poulde for 6 slashing damage
  • Goblin 4 attacks Bernard for 4 slashing damage
  • Taos readied attacks Goblin 5 for 5 damage
  • Goblin 5 grapples Taos and fails
  • Goblin 6 moves 30' toward town
  • Goblin 9 attacks Glennon and misses.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 06-05-2019 at 06:40 AM.
  #14  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 AM
delpinator delpinator is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-27-2020
RPXP: 1642
delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator delpinator
Posts: 5,307
right-aligned image

Joshua was at the party working as a hired hand moving barells when he heard Glennon call for aid.
Ha, seems like some of the buggers got into our city. Don't know what happened to the guard but Glennon could use some help. Joshua throws a fist but it seems the ale from earlier though off his balance as he swings wide missing the goblin.
 

Last edited by delpinator; 06-05-2019 at 02:40 AM.
  #15  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 AM
TiesKnots's Avatar
TiesKnots TiesKnots is offline
Insert clever title here
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-27-2020
RPXP: 519
TiesKnots TiesKnots TiesKnots TiesKnots TiesKnots TiesKnots
Posts: 884
Cookie, #10
right-aligned image
Long after the campfire had been doused, Cookie slept in his covered wagon. He preferred to sleep outside, but he had picked up a few tarts in town and they had a tendency to go missing if they weren't watched over. If only they wanted his own treats as hungrily.

He awoke to the smell of cooking. Wait, no, that's not right. There was a fire going, sure, but whatever the were doing with it wasn't natural. Grabbing a loose rolling pin from the shelf, he hurries to his door and bursts out into the grounds.

"Hey, you fools, I thought I told you not to..."

That was when he heard the shouting. And the calls for help. And gleeful laughter from unseen maniacs. He was going to chastise them for pinching breakfast early again. They were an impatient lot when it came to meals. But no, this was something worse.

More screams. People shouting. Someone calling the townsfolk to take refuge in caves. Looking around, Cookie spots a couple Maighan & Marcuslocals he's seen around camp and calls out, "What's going on? Where is everybody?"

Concerned, he heads toward the path leading to town.

 

 
__________________
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Last edited by TiesKnots; 06-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB