Game Thread The Breaking of Exandria: Part 2 - Page 25 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Breaking of Exandria > Game Thread Archive
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old 06-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 14740
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 14,399
Talia
left-aligned image
Talia darted back in to do some quick strikes on Confire and take him down. Oddly enough, as she was
Dice Talia first shortsword attack on Confire:
1d20+7sh21 (5)+7 Total = 12
Dice Talia second shortword attack on Confire:
1d20+7sh21 (11)+7 Total = 18
stabbing at him she said, "You better not hurt me Confire! You know I can hold a grudge a long time!"

She gets the stabs in with her blades, and then just as quickly does a no hand cartwheel back in the direction she came from to avoid any retaliation from Confire.




 
__________________
Posting Status: Meh... Normal.
  #362  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 5812
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 2,543
Bellamy steps forward and swings her warhammer with all her strength, but it isn't enough to break through the magic barrier protecting Confire's pale form. It wasn't long now, she didn't think, before his body dropped. Though the loud-mouthed mage was possessed and his constitution seemingly bolstered by the magic, the physical body simply had its limits and it was clear that Confire was reaching his.

Doc regards him with grim determination and the scythe floats forward across the courtyard, slowly closing the distance between it and the one-armed mage.


StatBlock
 

Last edited by Vislands; 06-04-2019 at 03:25 AM.
  #363  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 AM
AmonBlackwood's Avatar
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood is offline
Precisely when I mean to.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-13-2020
RPXP: 1359
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood
Posts: 1,152
Ada
left-aligned image


Watching a flurry of attacks batter at Confire, Ada felt a strange sorrow wash over her. Here we are, trying to crush our friend. This evil will be the end of everyone if we don't stop it.. Her mind went back to the visions momentarily.

No. This isn't the time to despair. We're strong. She glanced around to her allies that had stood without hesitation against the beast from beyond. Summoning some of the Dawnfather's light, she knit her wounds with holy energy. "Healing Word on self, 3rd level - 9 HPLight and life.."

There's only one more source of evil here, and we need our friend back. Shifting to the northwest to prevent Confire's escape, she held her lamp aloft, Sacred Flame - DC15 Dex save or take 7 radiant damagebathing the shielded warlock in holy fire.



 


 
__________________
Posting Status:
Taking an extended break to focus on family. PM if you need to get a hold of me!

Last edited by AmonBlackwood; 06-04-2019 at 08:04 AM.
  #364  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-31-2020
RPXP: 2939
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 2,088
CyprianThe assassin looks out from his position of cover near the well. Confire’s body, possessed by that…something…still floats serenely in the center of the courtyard, his robes and hair billowing as though not bound to this world like the rest of them.

Spitting out an oath, Cyprian curses that damnable shielding spell. Between that, and the press of his allies around the warlock, this would be a near impossible shot with a bow. Rising up from behind the stone protrusion of the well, Cyprian draws his rapier and runs toward the battle. Thinking he sees an opening, he thrusts with the thin blade, but it is knocked aside by an elbow in the fierce fighting.

Cyprian knows that no good can come of remaining so close to the void-crazed Confire right now. Foregoing a follow-up thrust with his dagger, he runs to the north near the tavern to help Ada cut off any escape.
The Grassy GnollWith a wild ferocity, Thadulos rears up on his hind legs, kicking with his forelegs at Confire. His hooves strike the shimmering shield of energy but not the warlock. Pointing his pike at Confire’s shoulder, the grim blacksmith sets the haft under his arm and falls forward with all of his weight! A half-ton of horse and man-flesh concentrated on the tip of the pike forces the point through the invisible barrier, through the weightless robes of the man, and into the flesh beneath!

Giran throws down his shield in disgust and grips his longsword with two hands as he runs to find an opening in the mass of fighters and weaponry surrounding Confire. He brings the heavy blade down again and again, but each time it is turned aside. Panting heavily and appearing on the verge of collapse, the old veteran struggles to hold the sword up.

OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 06-04-2019 at 11:57 AM.
  #365  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 4794
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 2,190
Confire Star SpawnAlthough its body seemed to be ready to collapse there was no change of expression on the face of Confire as it spun the staff in front of itself. It had evaded most of the attacks launched against it, but these fleshlings were proving tenacious. It spun in place, the staff trailing darkness behind it so that it was blanketed and suddenly it was gone… but a little away it reappeared with a small thunderclap.

"Unapproachable and unknowable, none can see her draw near. In her presence, even the mighty are brought low! The kings of men forget themselves before their lances can pierce her. They grovel at her feet like mewling animals, waiting their turn to be slaughtered and fed to her children." it said as it launched a foul mote of darkness back at Giran, gliding backwards towards the gates as it did so. The darkness engulfed the old warrior, sending him down into the dirt, and still Confire gave no indication it even noticed.

OOC
 
__________________
Everything’s good <double thumbs-up>.
  #366  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:14 PM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-31-2020
RPXP: 2939
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 2,088
Giran
left-aligned image
Giran spins around to see where Confire got to. Just then, the Void fragment strikes him full in the chest, the empty blackness swirling around his torso as the tendrils work their way up into his face and eyes. The darkness is not enough to obscure the look of absolute horror that spreads across the old soldier’s face. Filled with visions of madness and pain, Giran’s mouth falls open. A distant, piercing scream rises from his lungs, building steadily as the doomed man tries futilely to vent the insanity that suddenly fills him!

Suddenly, the scream cuts short. A small rattle escapes Giran’s pale lips and he collapses, dead, onto the hard-packed soil of the yard.


  #367  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 5161
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,828
Ronald ‘One-Bone’ Devyn
right-aligned image
The area around the treacherous mage is getting crowded with people trying to bring him down, with little success. If Ron had been at all concerned with why that is he might have wondered how the frail Confire manages to deflect the attacks with magic he hasn’t used before. But Ron isn’t thinking about that. In fact, he’s not thinking much at all as he takes a big swing at the man, only to have Ronda whistling through the space the mage occupied only moments before.

Confused, even more so than usually, Ron looks around as he hears the drunken guard whose name he’s already forgotten screaming in anguish as he dies. And then he sees Confire, close to the gate, making a run for it. Ron’s face doesn’t show any emotion, but the enforcer doesn’t waste a moment as he rushes after Confire.

In a move almost purely instinctual he yanks an axe out of his belt, holding Ronda with his left hand, letting the heavy throwing axe fly after the fleeing traitor. Thrown axe hits AC 22 and does 7 slashing damageIt impacts him square in the back, but as they are both in motion it’s the heavy top of the axe head that strikes Confire between the shoulder blades, and not the sharp edge that would likely have ended him.

As the first axe bounces off the man’s back, causing him to stumble a little, Ron’s other axe is already in his hand, and moments later spinning through the air. Thrown axe hits AC 21 and does 8 slashing damageIt too hits the target, but a little lower than Ron would have hoped, had he been hoping much of anything, striking Confire in the back of his thigh. It slows him down some more as the blade of the axe cuts a shallow line of blood into the outside of the thigh. Ron has never been that good at throwing things. But experience chasing after running people, usually screaming something about getting the coins they owed soon, has taught him the value of practicing throwing heavy things to stop them.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
  #368  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 5812
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 2,543
As Confire's bolt of dark magic flies toward them, Doc goes to leap out of the way but the dark fire goes past her and strikes the drunk warrior, Giran and engulfs him in a roiling darkness. He screams and his screams go quiet, before Bellamy can react. He begins to fall and though she fears the worst, Doc rushes forward.

"Fast Bind!" She says, reaching out a hand and willing his body to heal. She comes to his side, unable to tell whether her magic has worked and reaches for another, gentler magic. "Breath." She passes a hand over his body, feeling the warm presence of her occult power curtain over his still form while her eyes search desperately for any hint of life.


StatBlock
 
  #369  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-03-2020
RPXP: 14740
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 14,399
Talia
left-aligned image
Seeing the old guardsman fall, Talia watches Confire practically fly past her, moving away from the others. She quickly darts in and
Dice Talia first shortsword attack on Confire:
1d20+7sh21 (12)+7 Total = 19
Dice Talia second shortword attack on Confire:
1d20+7sh21 (10)+7 Total = 17
attacks again with her blades. And just as quickly, Fancy Footworkshe darts away.



 
__________________
Posting Status: Meh... Normal.
  #370  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Syne's Avatar
Syne Syne is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-30-2020
RPXP: 7679
Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne Syne
Posts: 2,005
Alys
left-aligned image
Confire was on the move again, and Alys bit off a curse. The blasted mage couldn't just stay still?! The thunderclap told her all she needed to know about his location, but it was on the other side of the courtyard and Alys' body fought against her will. It was too much, too far. She couldn't feel the flow of the water that usually pushed her forward. Dammit, Confire.

He'd killed the drunk, or at least it looked like he had. Doc was trying to keep him alive, but Alys' stomach still churned at the sight. They hadn't been fast enough, after all. She forced herself to move, in a careful pace rather than a sprint. She took shelter by the well near the center of the courtyard; if he moved again, she'd be ready to head him off, hopefully.

She raised her head, shouting for the...thing's attention. "Will you just stand still for a bit?!" Alys punctuated the shout with a dart she pulled from her belt. Despite the distance and her exhaustion her aim with the small weapons remained pinpoint accurate, catching Confire's body in the throat. Maybe that will shut him up, for once.
StatBlock
 
  #371  
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
AmonBlackwood's Avatar
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood is offline
Precisely when I mean to.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-13-2020
RPXP: 1359
AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood AmonBlackwood
Posts: 1,152
Ada
left-aligned image


Giran collapses under Confire's assault, and thankfully, Bellamy is on him in an instant. I've got to stop him. Another flurry of attacks cut the man to ribbons, but he shows little sign of quitting.

She grits her teeth in anger, moving after the wayward mage. Alys sticks a dart into Confire, and it looks as though his physical form is nearly spent.

Summoning the last bit of power she has, she launches it after him, the brilliant bolt of holy energy Guiding Bolt - 15 to hit, miss.clipping through his clothing, but impacting on a far wall. Ada tries to catch her breath, the latent energy within her utterly spent.



 


 
__________________
Posting Status:
Taking an extended break to focus on family. PM if you need to get a hold of me!
  #372  
Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-31-2020
RPXP: 2939
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 2,088
GiranGiran, Sergeant of Spears and veteran of a dozen campaigns against the enemies of Westruun, lies still and unbreathing in the blood-stained soil. Bellamy reaches him. Her hand on his chest is a conduit through which the healing magic flows. She can feel the wounds on his body knit back together. But the dark magic that dropped him left no cuts to heal, no bones to mend. It had gone deeper, into his very being.

Through the spells, Bellamy searches for that injury. The wound on Giran’s mind. Her consciousness flows with her magic. The world around her becomes distant as she reaches for the soldier’s spirit. The seconds pass slowly as she probes the darkness. There! There he is!

But something is wrong. Giran’s spirit flees from her healing energy. In it’s wake she can feel the intense fear and horror emanating from him. It’s on the move like a wild animal. And Bellamy, Huntress of Souls, knows she has only seconds to return it to the man’s body before it is lost forever!

ConfireConfire’s body stops moving, floating in the air a few inches off the ground. Slowly, his starlit face turns to look first at Alys, then at Ron. The warlock’s weightless hair flows behind him as his worlds-distant voice speaks softly. "This vessel is broken."

right-aligned image
Suddenly, Confire arches his back and convulses in the air violently! So violently that Ada is certain he will break his own back! His voice struggles to scream as he thrashes in pain! The light and emptiness that had filled his face stretches upward, tearing away from the battered and broken body. Inch by inch, the Star Spawn rips itself out of the man. As it does, Confire’s scream finds voice, rising in an expression of pure, pitiful agony. Finally, the Star Spawn pulls free.

The natural bond of Exandria reasserts itself on Confire’s limp form. He falls to the ground with a thud and lies motionless.

The Star Spawn Seer rises higher into the air, a being of pure starlight and swirling, deep, emptiness. It holds the Voidstaff in one outstretched limb. The voice is without passion or wrath as it resonates in the mind of everyone in the courtyard. She has seen you. Woe to all who fall under her gaze.

With that, the Seer points his staff at Ron. Two orbs of light and darkness fly at the raging barbarian. In his fury, Ron does not bother to avoid them. One strikes him full in the face, the other in his chest as he arches backward in surprise at the sudden violence of the attack! The blind rage of the enforcer is twisted into an expression of abject fear, so out of place on the man. Ron nearly stumbles, but somehow does not succumb completely. He looks up in wondering horror as the Star Spawn disappears in a flash of starlight.

OOC
 

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; 06-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.
  #373  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:15 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 5812
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 2,543
Bellamy remains kneeling by Giran's side, her open hands hovering over his still body. It had been seconds since she'd first come to his side, but it was obvious that the half-orc was focusing intensely on something. Her eyes were closed and the beads of sweat that had sprung up on her neck and forehead in the battle moments before seemed renewed by some other exertion.

"I can feel him," Doc whispers. A frenzied excitement edges into her voice. "I can feel him!" She'd healed the flesh. Moved the dead by their blood. But this...this was death. Giran's shade hoveres just beyond the veil. Her bond with the Giran's spirit, through his blood, deepens and the warmth of her healing magic flows through her fingers. I can't describe it...It's like I've opened new eyes...

Her mouth snaps shut as Giran's shade recoils from the draw of her magic - waves of sick fear wash over her and she realizes that he does not wish to return. For a second she reaches forward with her power, preparing to wrest the old drunk back to life by sheer force of will. But then she hesitates and, struck by a sudden instinct, begins to sing.

It's an old song. Of the few memories she had of her mother, being sung to sleep each night on some long journey over land was the strongest. That and her hair. The old mercenary's soul trembles on the brink of the abyss like a child driven from their sleep by nightmares. Bellamy's voice, harsher and less even than her mother's,
Dice Wisdom Check:
1d20+6 (16)+6 Total = 22
tries to coax his soul back to rest.


StatBlock
 
  #374  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:25 AM
4eyedBadger's Avatar
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-31-2020
RPXP: 2939
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Posts: 2,088
The K’Tawl SwampIt is late. Verdigris lies on a mattress of grass, with cypress trees for his bedposts, and the dense canopy for his curtains. Life is simple here. What had he thought he would find by remaining? What was he still searching for? Maybe he was searching for questions, as much as for answers.

These thoughts occupy him as he relaxes his swim-tired body. Solitude. He had sought solitude. To learn about who he was. It had taught him nothing. He was Verdigris. Every important moment in his life has revolved around others. His triumphs. His failures. Could self have any meaning without others? Could you really even be anything in a vacuum?

Verdigris falls asleep pondering the apparent paradoxes of existence and being. In his fatigue, he does not notice the distant ripple of the water…

In the DarknessMoving slowly through the water, the fishmen zombies enter the ethereal plane. Their translucent skin and yellow eyes disappear, leaving only a pale purple outline of their forms as they approach the sleeping ravenite. In this state, they are silent, and Verdigris’ sleep is undisturbed. Stepping onto the shore of the island, the lead zombie suddenly recoils in pain!

A DreamHe is floating. Verdigris opens his eyes. The endless Void stretches infinitely in all directions. He is adrift. Alone. He is not the Void dragon, powerful and mad. He is the bronze ravenite. He is himself, but powerless against the emptiness. Direction and distance have no meaning here. Verdigris tries to swim, but the cups of his hands find no purchase in the Void, and he only flails, a forgotten piece of flotsam in a vast sea.

He cannot breathe. The pressure in his lungs causes him to expel his last precious breath. He is freezing. He will die here.

A hand reaches into the Void as though it is a curtain. The hand’s owner is hidden behind that curtain, but the hand is delicate. The perfect flesh is the color of grass, and flowering ivy winds around the wrist and through the fingers like jewelry. Verdigris reaches desperately for the hand, and clasps it! He pulls, and the hand pulls, but the strength of the Void holds him on this side of the curtain.

But then, a second hand reaches through the veil, different than the first. Still thin and feminine, this hand is mailed in a steel gauntlet of shining plate! It grasps Verdigris’ forearm with the strength of unyielding iron and, together with the delicate green hand, pulls the dying ravenite from the Void!

VerdigrisBalance.

Verdigris wakes with a gasp as he fills his lungs with the thick, pre-dawn air of the K’Tawl! Bolting upright, he breathes deeply several times, assuring himself that he is indeed alive. The dream had been so vivid!

He stands on shaky legs as the first pale light of morning touches the sky. Looking around at the branches, Verdigris thinks for a moment that he must still be dreaming. But no. This is real. Every tree, every shrub, every wildflower on this island is in full bloom!

OOC
 
  #375  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 AM
Lazer's Avatar
Lazer Lazer is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-04-2020
RPXP: 4794
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Posts: 2,190
Words can’t convey what Confire was going through as words are by nature things of logic and reason. They allow us to categorise and organise the world, they don’t just describe it, they make it make sense. But Confire had touched something else, something which had no rules, which obeyed none of the laws recognised by men. It was wild and twisted and oppressive, except that all of these words described something which fits within the confines of human experience, so really it wasn’t anything like that at all.

Over the past minutes he had been aware of the presence controlling his body. His mind had receded and nearly shut down in defence, until all that was left, huddling at the core of his being, was the frightened little animal part of him, the most basic instincts. But now, as the presence retreated, more of his mind was starting to come back and it didn’t like what it found. Its memories were still there, but tainted now with the madness. Things which he had looked back on fondly had twisted so that a new, more sinister edge was revealed. His most cherished ideals were shown to be illusions and his deepest fears had become little more than shadows. In our minds context is everything, and now Confire had found that the context which had underpinned his whole life had been stripped away.

His body was beaten nearly to a pulp, but the damage to his mind was worse.

But we are nothing if not resilient, and slowly the memories of these past few minutes were being shunted into cold storage. When the memories were gone the original context would be restored, forcing the madness aside. The healing had begun. In time he would begin to dream again.

OOC
 

 
__________________
Everything’s good <double thumbs-up>.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2020, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB