RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Open Roleplaying > Outplay Arena > Outplay 2019 > Outplay 2019 archive
twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2019, 09:54 PM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 15712
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,800
PF Rd1 The Granite Gate - Antipode, OneDarkness, Yuul

At the GateEach of the summoned competitors make your way to The Granite Gate of the East, found at the foot of the mountain homelands of the dwarven nation of Hammerfall. A motley group waits there. You have a few minutes to size up the competition before a strange figure appears.

A ring of hellfire suddenly appears before the gate; burning with the pungent odor of sulfur and loathing. Out steps the black clad figure of Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix. His face, still obscured by the umbral darkness of the nine hells, the slightest bit of reddish amber hate can be seen piercing the veil where his eyes ought to be. His armor, black as night shimmered with a glossy sheen, each of the protruding elements was pointed and intimidating to see, almost as much as the aura of malice which surrounded the Lord High Commander. He stood with the poise of a military leader, arms behind his back, feet firmly planted, a massive mace strapped to his side. His speech implied good breeding and discipline with clear annunciation, and a deep resonating voice which was used to addressing crowds of rabble.

It appears that only a few of you were brave enough ľ or foolish enough ľ to even make it this far. It matters not. That fool Rostamoinen seems to think we need another to join the nine ľ and you are the lucky dregs he managed to collect.

The Lord High Commander begins to walk a line in front of the three hopefuls, stopping in front of each one, looking them up and down, inspecting them, their gear, and even their very souls.

As you know, you are going to be put through a series of tests. These tests are designed to test you mind, your body, and your very essence. There are no do overs and there are no time outs. You will be judged on your gumption, your intellect, your skills, and your ability to respond under pressure. This is no day in the park.

To join the nine you must prove that you are capable of making the right choicesů and of obeying the rules set forth by your betters. Will you align the cosmos, or knock it off its axis? You are about to embark upon a journey the likes of which youĺve never experienced. Keep in mind that anything you see before you could be one of the nine looking back at you. But do not be fooled; this is no mere game for children ľ there are no illusions and there are not blunted blades. Folly will result in death.

Now, it is time for your greatest adventure to begin ľ remember we are watching, they are judging, and above all else. OBEY.


In a brief and violent conflagration High Commander Kokabiel Strix disappears, leaving a smoking inverted pentagram in his wake. The way is cleared and the deadly game begins.

Save the Children!With that, Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix This pace is maintained throughout. Even though days pass, you never receive enough of a reprieve to gain the benefits restingsets a blazing pace. You have a vague idea where the calamitous Labyrinth is, and it is not close. If you're to be among the first there, you need to move fast. After a few days of travel, you come to the last great city of Hammerfall, Flintknap. All hell has broken loose. You hear shrieking from all corners as your eyes quickly take in all that surrounds you.

To the north you hear the wails of dwarven children. Cobblestones lead to an area 60 feet away, where you see a five story building that has caught on fire. You see a snake bodied humanoid form beginning to move up the walls of the conflagration. As your eyes move upwards, you see the target of the elemental creature. Several dwarf childrenbeardlings shouting for help help cry out from a window on the 5th floor. Flames spurt from several of the windows, and the internal structure of the building appears to be weakening.

A large lake lies to your west, the waves howling with ferocity. A path moves 60 feet from your current position and another 50 feet into the water you see several elven children flailing in a desperate attempt to keep their heads above water. On the far side of the lake the source of the disturbance can be seen. A massive orb, the size of a small chest pulsates sending massive ripples into the water making it difficult to swim. between the crashing of the waves your ears take in their dulcet screams while your eyes take in something just as concerning. Fins that have begun to circle the elven children and you realize sharks have come searching for their next meal.

A high pitched group of pathetic whines catches your eye to the south, where 110 feet away a massive stinking ettin stands before a number of shackled goblin children, menacing them with his gnarled club. At his side are three large hounds, their jaws licking with anticipation as they look upon their next meals with relish.

A massive spire stands to 60 feet to the east where you heard the desperate cries emanating from a nest 50 feet in the air. Your eyes catch the form of several halfling children, trapped on a perilous ledge of a massive spire, with no way to enter the structure. Circling overhead a mated pair of wyverns watch as their young torment the small-folk children, their eyes of the open wide as they cry out in terror as the winged lizards hiss at them.

In the distance you hear a green haired tattooed woman screams, Oh, not the children. Ohhh, won't somebody please think of the children!
OoCBeardlings in Peril: 7
Beardlings Saved: 0
Elves in Peril: 5
Elves Saved: 0
Goblins in Peril: 9
Goblins Saved: 0
Halflinglings in Peril: 7
Halflinglings Saved: 0

Hint: Take special note of the described environmental factors.


 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Read Episode 1; Shadows in a Cloud

Last edited by wodine; 07-09-2019 at 09:09 AM.
  #2  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 9821
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,439
Aurelia SigurdsdˇttirIt had been a longer time spent traveling than Aurelia had anticipated just to get to the gate. She is still not sure why her destination turned out to be the Granite Gate of the East, nor apparently did Archimedes who seemed to delight in taking the opportunity to nag her 'poor sense of direction' when clearly the Frozen Gate of the North was much closer and safer, even if the latter only along the lines of the devil you know. Looking back on it, the witch felt confident she could blame some form of attached magic shenanigans that had gone off with the message. Almost like a prank. Exactly like a prank. Her mind firmly set in its belief as to what had happened with no further chance to convince it otherwise, Aurelia had simply made a note that once this whole thing was said and done she would simply have to repay the favor. Otherwise, why, it might make her seem unappreciative of such subtleties, and really, that just would not do. Other than the increased distance, and more of her owl's antics, there was one other inconvenience to this whole affair. Namely that by traveling east and south to reach the Granite Gate temperatures warmed considerably. It was not what any 'normal' person might have called hot, but for someone used to the frozen north where furs were an almost every day necessity? It was an unbearable torture.

"I told you we should have gone north! The Frozen Gate was right there! But nooooooo~!" Que more nagging from her delightful, wonderful, abysmally poor company on a long road, familiar. Aurelia, who despite packing away the heavier outer layers still manages to pull off the impression of a sunburned tomato, attempts a death glare at her companion. She's terrible at those by the way, in fact all it does it make her sweat drenched face look more pitiful. Really, if it wasn't for a wand containing certain very basic magics in her possession then she would have long since started to reek dreadfully. "I told you, we have to go to this one." None of her normal amusement, and certainly none of the excitement from days earlier, is left in her voice. "Why?" This conversation is one that has repeated itself on average three times a day every day since they left. This is only round two for today however. Throwing her hands up into the air as part of a fit of frustration she yells out, "I DON'T KNOW!"

Yeah, it most certainly was not the best of journeys to say the least. Fortunately even unpleasant things come to an end eventually, and when this one did the witch from the north found herself in front of the Granite Gate with two other persons of interest standing about. One was a halfling, or maybe a gnome? She was terrible at telling the two sorts apart without anything other than size and stature to go on. Which was rather sad when considering that the entity in question's gnomish features were so clearly exaggerated as to be blatantly obvious, to anyone other than Aurelia that is. The other individual looked like an older man. That wasn't say he had wrinkles or spots of grey threading through his hair, he just looked, well, old. In the same way that a dog might after being kicked around its whole life. It would come at no surprise to anyone that really knew her, except maybe for Archimedes who somehow managed to always act surprised by her antics, that she almost immediately kicked into flight towards the beaten dog-man with the intention of hugging him until he stopped looking like all the world was looking down at him.

Unfortunately she was brought to a skidding halt, if you can even skid in mid-air, by the sudden arrival of Lord High Commander Most Annoying. Naturally such an interruption is treated to a death glare, but alas we have already discussed exactly how effective those are when attempted by certain short northern witches. She listens only halfheartedly to Lord High Commander Bigshot as her mind plots for some other means to cheer up the man near her. Unfortunately once they start moving behind Lord High Commander Obscenely Unpleasant Pain In The Butt they don't stop. Or slow down, for that matter. Which as a consequence any attempts on her part to cheer up the man with the polearm are limited entirely to her glancing eyes and smiles. Although the one time she tried flying backwards to move and do both at the same time she rather embarrassingly manages to bang one arm by drifting too close to one of the many, many boulders dotting the area.

More unfortunately, when they finally arrive at their next great stop on the way to the Labyrinth, which happens to be Flintknap, their group is immediately treated to horrifying shrieking from all around. It only takes a few moments to actually get the basics of what is happening around them, or at least the most important bits. Namely, four varied calamities are threatening a similar number of groups of children. Somewhere in the back of the keen mind her natural personality seems to do its best to unwillingly hide is wondering in abject horror if this is a purposefully intended test. There is no time to even consider it, but if that is the case, Aurelia has never felt so inclined to kill another sentient than since the incident with the dragon. But that discovery, one way or another, will have to wait. Children are in danger. Four groups of children. And they themselves number only three. She has the idea that Lord High Commander Useless is staying out of this one. Which leaves her with only one real option if they want to have a chance to save all the children, though she really had been hoping to save it for later more dangerous things. Still, there is no way that her prevailing against some later challenge is worth any victim here dying when she had a chance to prevent it.

Reaching swiftly into her magical knapsack Aurelia pulls out a scroll. Technically, it is well beyond her ability to use naturally, but a hope and a prayer is better than nothing, particularly when she has no idea what her fellows are capable of. Though a worried glance in the direction of the rancid ettin and its hounds has her take just a moment to try and slow them down with a spell, her focus quickly returns to the best way to even their odds that she can think of, and hopefully ensure that no child dies. After all, in the end, she can only try.


 
__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 07-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.
  #3  
Old 07-08-2019, 11:56 PM
OneDarkness's Avatar
OneDarkness OneDarkness is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-21-2019
RPXP: 12866
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Posts: 8,408
Hevem High and the Granite GateNothing is as Hevem would have expected, which truthfully should have been just what he expected as what fun would it have been if everything was predictable. No fun, no fun at all, so instead here he was standing next to two others at the requested location waiting the arrival of those that had summoned them. One of them, a young woman by all appearances, had the look of a northerner with her pale complexion and thick warm clothing that would have had him sweating if he wore such attire, but he had always been hot blooded. The other was not much older but a man, one who looked like he was used to dealing with things in a rather physical manner and judging by scarring and weathering he was not afraid to do whatever would need to be done. Wonder what they think of me?

"Greetings to you both, looks like we are one of the lucky few, best of luck to the both of you and here is hoping we live to tell the tale." A wide smile and an exaggerated bow follows, and before he can continue on to tell them a bit about himself a ring of hellfire erupts before the gate and the Lord High Commander emerged from the portal looking every bit the imposing military leader one would expect to see leading the legions of Hell.

When he stopped before Hevem and looked down upon him, not a difficult feat given their differences in height, he simply smiled up at him. The speech reminds him of the ones Captain Grimm gave regularly to the new recruits, a shake down and intimidation effort that was designed to scare off the trouble makers and make the slackers stand up straight and listen. Though he was thrown with the mention of rules and obeying as as far as he could tell no rules had been listed and no commands to obey had been proffered, but possibly that was still to come. It seems though their host was a man of few words and other than the shake down speech, he kept largely to himself and instead set an overland pace that was brutal and left him considering if this was such a good idea after all.

As just like that they were in Flintknap, one of the last great cities of Hammerfall, but the city was bathed in chaos with the cries of its inhabitants causing his head to swivel about rapidly trying to take it all in. There were four situations that needed immediate attention, all in the form of children of varying races that were all in danger in some form of another that if they didn't act quickly would perish quickly. The Lord High Commander didn't direct them specifically to save the children but his own lack of movement and silence was hint enough that this was their first challenge, and by his count an almost impossible one to handle with their few numbers. Luckily the young woman appeared to have a few tricks up her sleeve and she sent a swirling cloud of gas to catch the hell hounds and Ettin, which was certain to catch their attention, so he let her do whatever she had planned.

"I'll go for the halflings, but if you run into any trouble just shout"He likes a challenge and he is not sure the others have the ability to fly or reach the plateau, so he draws an extract from bandoleer and downs it quickly as his feet begin to hover off the ground as the flight effects kick in. Continuing his ascent upwards he is 30 feet off the ground in no time, with an eye towards the halfling children and some circling wyverns. Downing an extract of shielding to give some extra protection he speeds towards the spire at three times his normal speed leaving him against the spires surface and thirty feet down from the plateau. "Hold on little ones I am almost there, and lets see if I can distract these little birdies and get you out of here."


 
__________________
Posting Status: Everybody is back in school so back to regular posting from now peaceful house
Life Update - Sept 17th: Business as usual ĺ

Last edited by OneDarkness; 07-09-2019 at 12:48 AM.
  #4  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 AM
Antipode Antipode is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-27-2019
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Posts: 191
Le´ze DeltarnSometimes determination is haste enough. And this seemed certainly to be one of those times; whatever was expected of this challenge had not yet begun when Le´ze arrived at the Gate. Nor was there a throng of would-be archmages jockeying for arcane supremacy and comparing robe fashions, as he had expected. Perhaps this was a relatively exclusive offer after all...

The other two here did certainly present themselves as spellcasters of some fashion or another, to no real surprise. What was unexpected was the appearance of this trial keeper, this Lord High Commander. From men such as this, nothing good typically came. For a moment, Le´ze had his doubts. Is this all some temptation? Some infernal call to my pride? But determination had brought the dungeon guide this far, and determination would see him further still.

"I have spent much of my life safekeeping men and women such as yourself as into and out of places... Well, with any luck at all, places darker than the Labyrinth ahead of us. If it is within my power, you'll both see the end of these challenges alive.," he remarked as the trio set off to wherever they were to be sent. "But," he declared firmly, his expression hardened by his lifetime of burdens. "Do not abuse my love of life, or mistake it for a lack of conviction. As I am certain you do as well, I mean to best this challenge. There... is something wrong with the world that must needs be set right."

Arrival in Flintknap made it clear that he spoke trust words that he knew. Perhaps there was some philosophical imbalance in the world, but the wrong at hand was that of innocents in danger. Le´ze scowled. This seemed all too contrived not to have been arranged as part of the challenge, but the sort of "Lord High Champion" who would put so many children in danger to test the mettle of three adventurers? He would find time later to have words with this Kokabiel Strix.

For now, there was no time. His acquaintances hastened to separate perils with the aid of magic. Perhaps wearied slightly by the journey, he was slower to act, but no less decisive. "Save who best you can!" he yelled. "Even the goblin whelps are surely more innocent than we!" Heedless of his own defenses, he ran at full pace to the shore of the shark-infested lake, with its magical waves and drowning elven children. Why are these sorts of things always shark-infested? Barely taking time to catch a breath, he pulled a length of good silk rope -- already fixed to a grapnel -- from his bag, and buried the prongs of the hook wherever was most suitable along the shoreline: in the soft wood of a fallen tree, perhaps, or tight against a stone of adequate size. If it would come to it, he would furrow it into the earth itself.

The sharks, he hoped desperately, would wait a few more seconds before slaking their hunger...

 

Last edited by Antipode; 07-09-2019 at 12:59 AM.
  #5  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:06 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 15712
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,800
Rd 1 T2 Granite GateA loud booming voice could be heard echoing through the town; the ire of Kokabiel resonated like the footfalls of a titan.

What do you mean, I must judge them? This was not part of the bargain, Cuchulainen.

Upon the floating parapet tower, made of stone as dark as night; floating on a cloud of brimstone, the High Lord Commander stood watching the games below, the plated avatar of law and hate sounded especially displeased. In an instant the tall being was joined by a dozen contract devils quickly reviewing their parchment, quills scratching on paper, goatees being stroked, arrangements being made; it was quite the spectacle – all the while Kokabiel’s eyes burned with seething wrath, which went wholly unnoticed by the hobbled old man.

Cuchulainen laughed until he wheezed, then disappeared back to whatever game he was overseeing. In a moment Kokabiel was joined by his fellow… ‘judges,’ Archmage Mifflewerf Fettlegrew and Ophelya - Guardian of your dreams. Dismissing the devils with a wave of his hand, Kokabiel turns his gaze downwards towards the contestants, Maybe one of you won’t disappoint.


The cacophonous sound of burning wood, screaming children, crashing waves, and screeching monsters filled the corridor of the city with a resonating sound which was enough to put even the most stalwart adventurer on edge. The very stones beneath their feet seemed to vibrate with the sounds of a city in peril.

Hevem was quickly to gulp down two of his extracts shielding him from harm and allowing him to take flight. Moving towards the halfling children trapped upon the spire and tormented by the circling dragonkin, their eyes go wide as one of the reptilian beast crashed into the plateau only thirty feet from them. It smashes its barbed tail against the ground and lets out a roar. The meager intelligence in the beast shined in its small black eyes; a simple intelligence which delighted in torment. Its mated pair remained in the air sixty feet above, circling and waiting.

Le´ze ran with everything he had to get to the elven children. With his experience he was quick to act attempting to throw a lifeline for the children to grab hold of. Alas, had the children been grown adults or even teenagers it may have been enough. However, with the children were fifty feet away, the waters waves cresting violently, and the fins slowly closing in the children try to make their way towards the rope, which was just out of their reach. Their tiny frail bodies only manage to move another five feet closer, hardly enough to make much of a difference – and some of them are clearly weak swimmers. This did not bode well for the children, but if Le´ze was creative or fast enough maybe he could get the rope back to them and pull them to safety.

Meanwhile the northern women attempted to divide and conquer. Summoning a foul-smelling cloud around the ettin, the sound of the hound’s displeasure was evidenced by the whimpering. The ettin released their chains and the dogs their tails between their legs, slowly made their way towards the children and fresher air, stopping more than once to gag on the putrid smell filling the area. The ettin however, appears unphased and simply smiles breathing the foul smell in deeply. It looked as though the filthy two headed giant almost enjoyed the smell. The creature awkwardly lumbered forward and in it’s bulky misshapen hand lifted one of the small goblin children in the air and dangled it above his head, ready to drop it into the massive mouth below, which was more than willing to crunch on the small creature, even if the head only had a few teeth left in it’s stinking maw.

Aurelia then dug deep into her magical training and innate talents and opened a rift to the very realm of storm, and for a moment in the shimmering air, the great djinni city of Armun Kelisk is seen shimmering before the massive thundercrack. Sixty-five feet from the burning building five massive air elementals suddenly appear. One appears as a swirling vortex of thundering clouds with bolts of lightning for eyes, the second an animated vortex of wind and smoke, the third a smoky bird-like creature with glowing eyes and wind for wings, the fourth was vaguely humanoid only its torso and extremities were inhumanly long, and the fifth had the shape of a serpentine dragon with flashing bolts of lightning for scales. If the noise wasn’t deafening before - it was now, there were now mobile beings of gale force winds feeding the flames of the fire and terrifying any citizens who had been foolish enough to remain on the streets.
OoCIf you could link your character sheet at the bottom of your posts it would be appreciated.

Beardlings in Peril: 7
Beardlings Saved: 0
Elves in Peril: 5
Elves Saved: 0
Goblins in Peril: 9
Goblins Saved: 0
Halflinglings in Peril: 7
Halflinglings Saved: 0


 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Read Episode 1; Shadows in a Cloud

Last edited by wodine; 07-09-2019 at 09:09 AM.
  #6  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Antipode Antipode is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-27-2019
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Posts: 191
OOCThe judge's summary of my first-post actions suggested that Le´ze had already thrown a rope to the elven children. In the interests of fairness and clarity, that hasn't happened yet (and wouldn't have been possible). I spent a standard action in the first post ensuring the grappling hook was secure at the shore (so that -- hopefully -- it won't pull free when being used as a rescue line). I haven't had the chance to throw the rope towards the victims. Yet, anyway... but see below!
Le´ze DeltarnHaving taken the time to secure the grapnel as best he could, Le´ze now turned to the struggling children. Their cries for help were cause for haste, but too much haste would only risk allowing this accursed lake to claim yet one more victim. Coiling the rope's free end, he heaved the lifeline towards the elven innocents... and, if just barely, his aim was true.

"Grab hold of the rope, or each other, and pull yourselves in!" he called out, yelling over the magically-created waves and... whatever madcap commotion his companions were generating elsewhere in the city ruins. "Try to stay calm. I'm coming to help." Le´ze leapt toward the water, but the wet sand at the shore offered little resistance to push off from; he cleared no more distance than a large step and entered the lake with an impressive, if undignified, splash. Heroic entrance or not, he began to pull himself through the churning water towards the screams... and the sharks. As he swam, he pulled his guisarme from its back-sheath. When he could manage it, he used the polearm's shaft somewhat like an oar to Hey, after that Acrobatics check, there had to be a reason for the natural 19 on the Swim check, right?help draw him forward. But his eyes were on the predators, and his blade at the ready. Should any draw near enough for him to strike out, he meant to offer a decisive wound that would drive them away, or turn them on each other.


 



Last edited by Antipode; 07-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.
  #7  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 9821
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,439
Aurelia SigurdsdˇttirThere is no real time for response to the words of her two companions, only a quick nod as the multiple crises draw them apart. This is doubly so in Aurelia's case as she tries to manage two of them at once which has the unfortunate aspect of dividing her concentration. She had not quite foreseen the effects of her attempt to summon help on the fire that even now looked like it was doing its best to devour the building and the little dwarves trapped inside much like a ravenously starving man might a feast. And wasn't that an unpleasant image? She had no idea how many of those little one's she'd be able to save herself, certainly not more than one at a time as she wasn't the strongest of individuals, but one thing was for sure and that was that her choice of help could not stay near the building. Fortunately, despite quite clearly being misplaced, the entities that inhabited the plane of air were very swift indeed.

So without much more thought, and all too aware of the worsening situation by the ettin, Aurelia speaks, her throat producing the almost unnaturally breathy, flute like sounds of the 'Tongue of the Heavens', more commonly called auran. "You four!" Pointing quickly to all of them save the vaguely humanoid one of the lot. "I need you to deal with that Ettin and his pets!" On second thought better clarify to be safe. "The hounds. Don't let any of them reach more of the goblin children!" Pointing now to the last one that she had pointedly avoided assigning earlier. "I need you to start carrying those goblin children to safety, where I am standing now will probably be fine." Quickly returning to addressing all of them, the witch from the north adds two more commands. "When the rest of you finish, help get the remaining children over there to safety. Finally, and this goes for all of you, no whirlwinds! Now get going!"

Looking up to face the burning building as the beings of sentient air gust past her Aurelia grimaces, she still doesn't know what she can accomplish here, but as before she can only try and without further hesitation kicks off from the ground and activates her power of flight. Archimedes is of course quick to take wing next to her. And nag, always nag. "Just what are you going to do? In case you didn't notice or remember, that is a burning building and you are scarcely strong enough to do more than save one of them at a time, if that!" She is close enough now smell the smoke, and can most certainly feel the heat, but spares words for her familiar if only to distract herself from the peril she is willingly bringing herself closer to. "I have to try Archi," A pet name she used to call him back when she was young girl. "besides, it's not the most dangerous thing I have done. It'll be okay."

Her empathic bond tells her that if he could, Archimedes would be giving her a very disapproving frown right now. "Whom exactly are you trying to convince? Me, or yourself? I have been by your side for sixteen years now since we first met and bonded in the snow, and I do not want that to end. Not now, not ever. Please, stay alive." With that the owl drops back, the small avian getting much closer to the flame shrouded structure being a rather unwise idea. Which isn't too far off from Aurelia's own intention of flying straight up to the window to try and pull the children out. Despite the harsh environment of her native land, other than height she has never wished for her father's strong broad shouldered build. But as awful as it would look on her, she can't help but wish she had that sort of strength now.


 
__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 07-09-2019 at 06:26 PM.
  #8  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 PM
OneDarkness's Avatar
OneDarkness OneDarkness is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-21-2019
RPXP: 12866
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Posts: 8,408
Hevem High and the Granite GateHevem fingers drummed on the rocks at his back as he leaned against the hard rock of the spire, it was only a short thirty feet or so up to the plateau, and he could hearing the hissing of the wyvren's mixed in with the cries of the children. Flexing his hands for a moment he was preparing himself when he heard the beat of wings and the sound of claws upon rock, which was followed by a loud smack of a tail upon rock and the roar of one of the creatures. "Looks like time is up, no more slacking for you bucko, alright time for a little fun."

Racing upwards with less than a foot between him and the rocky surface, in a few short moments he clears the lip of the plateau into clear sight and sets his sights upon the landed dragon kin. His mind whirls and in a heartbeat he knows the best angle for what he has planned, and in one quick motion tosses a reddish glass vial towards the wyvren. "Here we go....."

The beauty of working with bombs is that even if you didn't hit dead on the creature you just had to get close and it could be caught in the explosion, and when the reddish vial landed and erupted in a ball of flame there was no doubt he had the creatures attention now. They may be dragon kin but this gnome had more incoming with the fire producing relatives than they did, and if these creatures were smart they would go looking for an easier meal, but even if they weren't that bright he was sure he could keep them busy and at least protect these halfling children. He could only pray for a bit of luck to help him in his endeavors and hope the others were equally as lucky.


 
__________________
Posting Status: Everybody is back in school so back to regular posting from now peaceful house
Life Update - Sept 17th: Business as usual ĺ

Last edited by OneDarkness; 07-09-2019 at 11:07 PM.
  #9  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 15712
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,800
The Granite Gate Rd 2 T3
Lord High Commander Kokabiel Strix His burning eyes of amber scan the field beneath him as the floating tower surveys the area. He says nothing as the action plays out – simply keeping a tally of each soul which passes into perdition.

Le´ze Goes Fishing Le´ze knew what he had to do. He had to save the children. Having secured the one end of the rope to a rather large piece of flotsam he whips the rope around and tosses it as far as he can into the tumultuous water. The children struggle to swim in the difficult water barely able to keep their heads above the surface. One of them, a little girl with brown hair, big doe eyes and eyelashes that would have fluttered in the wind began to slip under the waves.

Le´ze leapt into the water, his foot slipping as the soft wet sand beneath him gave way, leading to him nearly body slamming the water, but he was a competent swimmer and managed to close the distance between himself and the young children, who swam for the rope. Two the sharks having sensed the commotion separate from the fins harassing the children and head straight for the man. The swung his blade at one
Dice Roll:
D20+14-3-2sch18 (9)+14-3-2 Total = 18
(18)and then the other
Dice Roll:
D20+14-3-2sch18 (3)+14-3-2 Total = 12
(12) and hoped it would be enough to deter them. It was not.

The two large sharks attacked him in return biting at him
Dice Roll:
d20+5sch19 (17)+5 Total = 22
(22)
Dice Roll:
d20+5sch19 (19)+5 Total = 24
(24) trying to get a fine meal instead of paltry appetizers.
OoCDamage to shark:
Dice Roll:
2d4+10+9 (4, 1)+10+9 Total = 24
(24)
Damage to Le´ze
Dice Roll:
d8+7 (1)+7 Total = 8
(8)
Dice Roll:
d8+7 (5)+7 Total = 12
(12)
 

Aurelia Sets Fire to the Rain Aurelia changed her plan, deciding instead to send the army of air elementals she had summoned to deal with the ettin and its foul pets and that she would see to the burning building full of dwarven children. It was strange, but somehow, even as children pleading for their lives they sounded almost… disgruntled. Soaring in the air she moved closer preparing to make a heroic entrance next turn, when her eyes catch sight of a strange serpentine creature making its way through part of the exposed flaming building, heading for the already panicked children.

Hevem’s Leap of Faith The gnome cleared the edge of the plateau and hurled a firey bomb at the wyvern hitting it dead on. The creature appeared none to pleased at being lit aflame. Roaring the creature charges, using its wings to flap, knocking the small children to the ground as it lashed its barbed tail at Hevem plunging it deep into the side of his chest
Dice Roll:
d20+10+2sch25 (20 (natural 20))+10+2   Total = 32
(32). The wyvern’s mate, none too concerned about its partner sails down snatching one of the children with in its massive talons and stands on the edge of the cliffiside tearing into the helpless boy, hungrily devouring his flesh.
OoCCrit Check:
Dice Roll:
d20+10+2sch25 (4)+10+2 Total = 16
(16)
Wyvern Damage:
Dice Roll:
d6+4 (6)+4 Total = 10
(10) and make a DC 17 fort save or suffer
Dice Roll:
d4 1
(1) con damage.
Sting—injury; save DC 17; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d4 Constitution damage; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Aurelia and her Riders on the Storm The elementals could barely understand the puny human who had dared tear them away from their game of air baccarat. She was tiny and while they could tell she barely had the power to control them; they decided it best to obey as there were other, more powerful beings in the area. Charging the ettin and his hounds the dogs whimper and turn to bite the creatures, while the ettin stands his ground, one head turning to look at the Thundering Cloud element while the other is quickly filled with goblin child. The sound of bones and flesh crunching and tearing mixed with screams terrifies the other goblin children causing them to run and scatter, running from ettin, hounds, and swirling storm monster alike. Why you hit Thud, Mr. Hoover? Haha Hoover. The ettin's weapons struck the elemental
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (13)+12 Total = 25
(25)
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (11)+12 Total = 23
(23)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (13)+7 Total = 20
(20)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (11)+7 Total = 18
(18) while the hounds attacked as well
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (12)+7 Total = 19
(19)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (8)+7 Total = 15
(15)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (19)+7 Total = 26
(26). The sound of battle against the air elementals was almost as strange as the language they spoke. While the brethern attacked the Slenderman began to skulk his way around the towards the children.
oOCEttin Dmg: 5
Hound 1: 9
Hound 2: 9
Hound 3: 5
Ettin Damage Dealt:
Dice Roll:
6d6+18 (1, 6, 6, 6, 3, 5)+18 Total = 45
(45)
Hound Damage Dealt 1:
Dice Roll:
1d8+6 (4)+6 Total = 10
(10)
Hound Damage Dealt 2: 0
Hound Damage Dealt 3:
Dice Roll:
1d8+6 (4)+6 Total = 10
(10)

 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Read Episode 1; Shadows in a Cloud

Last edited by wodine; 07-11-2019 at 12:13 AM.
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
OneDarkness's Avatar
OneDarkness OneDarkness is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-21-2019
RPXP: 12866
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Posts: 8,408
Hevem High and the Granite GateIt felt like a heated metal spike as the creatures tail penetrated his side, that left him gasping in pain and he was nearly stumbling again when the barbed tail withdrew with a spray of blood and the firey burn of the poison within that it left. Luckily for him years of working with caustic and poisonous chemicals leaves a bit of a mark upon you for better or worse and there was a good chance his own inner fire would destroy the poison outright, he hoped. There was little enough time to worry about it now though as he watched with dismay as the other wyvren dived down upon the children and snatched one of them and promptly devoured it while the others screamed in terror. So taking a few steps back, or flying back, to give him some room he launched bomb after bomb at the one in front of him and one at the other wyvren as well for good measure in hopes that he could keep them both occupied and spare as many of the children as possible.

The one in front of him is engulfed in multiple explosions of fire that by all accounts should get the beast to an almost crispy level if it was a normal wyvren, the first vial was as perfect a hit as he could have hoped for and being caught right in the center of the explosion unleashed damaging flames stronger than usual. The bluish vial that sailed clear and hit the other wyvren did so with a more concussive force, with its shock wave potentially sending the wyvren flattened to the ground where he hoped it would stay, but it was the following third red vial hitting the closer wyvren that could potentially seal its fate for if it still lived it would not be by much. "That will teach you to mind your manners, no I suggest you both get the hell out of hear before I cook you where you stand."


 
__________________
Posting Status: Everybody is back in school so back to regular posting from now peaceful house
Life Update - Sept 17th: Business as usual ĺ

Last edited by OneDarkness; 07-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Antipode Antipode is offline
Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 08-27-2019
RPXP: 1188
Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode Antipode
Posts: 191
Le´ze DeltarnLe´ze cursed the Lord High Commander under his breath ... and then over it as well, when an elven girl disappeared beneath the waves. You don't know she's gone, he told himself. You've saved drowning men before.

But, of course, the fate of the children was hardly his only concern. He'd drawn a couple of sharks away from the elves, to be certain. But they either evaded his blade or simply were not dissuaded by his strike, and were too bulky to simply force away. Their teeth bit deep into his arm -- another set of scars, no doubt, after all this was done and gone.

"Grab the rope!" he yelled to them again. "Pull yourselves to shore!" He would help them save themselves, if he could just keep these blasted sharks at bay for a few seconds...

He took a few more strokes through the swells, moving toward the elves while keeping his blade in a defensive posture. The better to keep the sharks at bay, quite literally. If they continues to advance on him or the children, he would punish them for their hunger, until they learned their lesson or died trying.


 

Last edited by Antipode; 07-10-2019 at 04:24 PM.
  #12  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 9821
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,439
Aurelia SigurdsdˇttirHonest panic was starting to set in. She couldn't really see how things were going with the ettin, but she somehow heard the sounds of one of the goblin children being slowly, agonizingly, chew and devoured. And all she could do was nothing, save second guess and triple guess on decisions already made while trying and failing to muffle the sobs in her chest. She had already failed hadn't she? Already one of the little ones was dead, possibly more. Hate at the Lord High Commander's inaction brewed in her chest, but could not reach higher than how much she hated herself for that failure. The only thing that kept her going was knowing there were still some of the children, including the beardlings not too far in front of her, alive. So despite the ash, smoke, and now tears all threatening to block her eyesite Aurelia flew closer to the window through which she could see the screaming beardlings. What she could also see was that serpent creature starting to work its way into the building. If it got any farther in, or perhaps damaged any more of the structure, then seven more would be lost.

For all her keen intellect, she was not thinking clearly in complicated terms any more, the northern witch's actions becoming far more emotive based instead. Finally reaching the windowsill she sends a spell, one of her best, off at the creature before turning her attention back to the children. Luckily she does know dwarven, and a good bit more languages besides. "Quick! I'll help you all out of here, but it's gotta be one at a time so I need you be brave and gather over here, okay?" She certainly looked and felt worse for the where, even if not physically injured, but did her best to give a smile regardless.


 
__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.
  #13  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
wodine's Avatar
wodine wodine is online now
The Lord of Gifts
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 15712
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Posts: 9,800
The Granite Gate Rd 2 T4
Sharknado Le´ze continued continuing on. It was all he could do to try and save the children. Unfortunately there was now blood in the water – human and shark, and the frenzy was about to begin.

Two of the sharks continued to harass Le´ze as he tried to make his way towards the children and he managed to cause serious damage to one of them but that did not stop them from biting deeply into his fleshy bits at every opportunity
Dice Roll:
d20+5sch19 (8)+5 Total = 13
(13)
Dice Roll:
d20+5sch19 (18)+5 Total = 23
(23).

The three remaining sharks turn in the water and made a direct line towards the children.

OoCDamage to Le´ze
Dice Roll:
d8+7 (3)+7 Total = 10
(10)
Dice Roll:
d8+7 (8)+7 Total = 15
(15)

Aurelia Inferno Several of the beardling looked onwards, scattered and scared in the room, and further terrified by the strange creature, but one of them, a young lad with blond hair was the first to walk up to Aurelia, standing their with its stubby arms held upwards as though he wanted a hug. It was a silent plea, a plea to get out of this tumultuous Hell.


The strange serpentine creature who had been preparing to attack suddenly froze in place, brilliant flashing lights glowing sporadically in front of his face.
OoCWill Save:
Dice Roll:
d20+8sch21 (10)+8 Total = 18
(18)

Hevem’s Flying Inferno The gnome managed to engulf the first wyvern in a conflagration of flame which burnt the creature to a crisp, which caused both the second mature wyvern and the young ones to suddenly become far more aggressive in their posturing – the game was over. The older wyvern charged the gnome
Dice Roll:
d20+10+2sch25 (20 (natural 20))+10+2   Total = 32
(32). Meanwhile the three ordinarily timid wyvernlings begin nipping and poking at one the of chubby halfling children and then suddenly they dive on the small creature biting him and ripping his flesh, his screams curdle the blood of any who can hear, which may only be the gnome.
OoCWyvern Damage:
Dice Roll:
d6+4 (2)+4 Total = 6
(6) and make a DC 17 fort save or suffer
Dice Roll:
d4 4
(4) con damage.
Sting—injury; save DC 17; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d4 Constitution damage; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Dice Save:
d20+8sch19 (17)+8 Total = 25
(25)

Flight of the Valkyries The elementals continued their fight against the dogs and the ettin. You no strong! WE STRONG! The ettin's bellowed with enough stinking breath to nearly blow the elemental away. It raised its weapons again and pummeled the windbag into submission
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (20 (natural 20))+12   Total = 32
(32)
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (16)+12 Total = 28
(28)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (13)+7 Total = 20
(20)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (20 (natural 20))+7   Total = 27
(27). The hounds were far more injured than their master but still they fought on, struggling for their lives
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (12)+7 Total = 19
(19)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (18)+7 Total = 25
(25)
Dice Roll:
d20+7sch19 (13)+7 Total = 20
(20). The slenderman attempted to free the children from their bondage and pulled and pulled with all his airy might but he was unable to pull the piton from the ground.
oOCEttin Dmg: 28
Hound 1: 28
Hound 2: 28
Hound 3: 10
Ettin Damage Dealt:
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (3, 2)+6 Total = 11
(11)
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (2, 4)+6 Total = 12
(12)
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (3, 2)+6 Total = 11
(11)
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (4, 4)+6 Total = 14
(14)
Hound Damage Dealt 1:
Dice Roll:
1d8+6 (8)+6 Total = 14
(14)
Hound Damage Dealt 2:
Dice Roll:
1d8+6 (1)+6 Total = 7
(7)
Hound Damage Dealt 3:
Dice Roll:
1d8+6 (8)+6 Total = 14
(14)
Crit Confirm:
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (18)+12 Total = 30
(30)
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (1, 1)+6 Total = 8
(8)
Crit Confirm #2:
Dice Roll:
d20+12sch19 (17)+12 Total = 29
(29)
Dice Roll:
2d6+6 (2, 4)+6 Total = 12
(12)

 
__________________
For the Imperial Griffon! The Founding
Can you Handle the Madness? Madness in the Weird West: Call of Cthulhu
Like Star Trek? Read Episode 1; Shadows in a Cloud

Last edited by wodine; 07-11-2019 at 12:28 PM.
  #14  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:23 PM
OneDarkness's Avatar
OneDarkness OneDarkness is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-21-2019
RPXP: 12866
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Posts: 8,408
Hevem High and the Granite GateWell this continued to be messy, and the wyvren's despite watching one of their own summarily barbecued seemed to care less about suffering a similar fate. I mean the older one he could sort of understand I mean losing a mate would like provoke some rage but the younger ones just watched one of their own get lit up in a column of fire and explosion that should have inspired a healthy amount of respect. Still sometimes the dice or cards fall as they choose and you have to work with what you have, and the number of bombs he was using was quickly getting intense but he didn't see another way out of this mess so not surprisingly he followed up his previous explosions with even more fiery explosions and hoped for the best.

Red vial after red vial flew from his hand as quick as keen eyesight could pick out an opportune spot to detonate one to ensure no collateral damage to the children, luckily he was quite gifted at using his bombs in close quarters and with allies present so it proved no challenge in that regard. "Alright you don't want to do this the easy way eh, really want to make me work for it, well your certainly aggravating things and pissing me off so lets do this."

The first one at the older wyvren connected as expected, truthfully it would have been hard to miss a barn door at five feet, and he hoped the force of the explosion would flatten the creature at slow it down a bit while he attempted to scare off the younger ones. Those shots were a bit more dicey, appearing to just hit the creatures but it was hard to tell for sure until the fire cleared. He prayed they had struck true but would find out soon enough...


 
__________________
Posting Status: Everybody is back in school so back to regular posting from now peaceful house
Life Update - Sept 17th: Business as usual ĺ

Last edited by OneDarkness; 07-11-2019 at 02:07 PM.
  #15  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Yuul's Avatar
Yuul Yuul is offline
Master of Undeath
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-22-2019
RPXP: 9821
Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul Yuul
Posts: 8,439
Aurelia SigurdsdˇttirAurelia was not in the best of emotional places right now, or mental ones for that matter, and most of the dwarven children moving away from her did not do anything to help matters. Fortunately before she could fall to pieces much as the building itself was doing, one brave blonde beardling approached holding out its stubby arms in a silent plea to be taken anywhere other than here. It was enough, in spite of everything going on, to bring some small bit of a smile back to the northern witch's face. "There's a brave lad. C'mon, let's get you out of here." Swiftly picking him up through the windowsill Aurelia does her best to get the both of them away as quickly as possible. She wishes she could carry more than one of them, but even this is slowing her down noticeably, if she tried multiples they would likely overcome the magic keeping her in the air to begin with and turn them all into mash upon the ground. "Now hold on tight okay?" Aurelia is of course already doing this for the both of them, but the words are more to distract herself from how bad things are getting and her worry about how long her spell will hold back the serpentine figure, or how long the building itself will continue to stand.

If it wasn't for the fire, she would have tried tying off a rope for the children to climb down, but would hardly have work in the present circumstances. So all she can do is carry them one at a time. And keep talking to distract both herself and the child. "See? We're almost to the ground and away from that monster already! Once we get there I'm going to need you to get to somewhere safe so I can go back and get your friends out of there too okay?"

Meanwhile, beyond her focus, her summons attempts at battling the ettin were not going as well as could hoped for. One had fallen to the Ettin's might and been forced back to its home plane. And apparently back to a game of air baccarat. Three more were not looking quite as fresh as when they had started either, however the same could be said for the three hounds facing them. The long lanky being that had been assigned the task of saving the strange humanoid children was still stuck trying to pull free the obstacle that prevented their escape, and at this rate it wasn't looking good. Not that the one that had summoned them was in much position to notice any of this.


 
__________________
PIG: Birch VERSES China, Fight!
Me: ...my money is on Birch for the record.

Last edited by Yuul; 07-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(ę 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB