RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #136  
Old 06-15-2019, 12:47 PM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is online now
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2019
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,309
left-aligned image




After some hesitation, Drea decides to leave her Staff of Light behind with the detective, deciding it'd be too awkward trying to move stealthily with a large stick in her hand. She follows Ash inside the clinic, and watches as Ash speaks to the cleric? Impatiently, Theresa takes over, and makes her way to the slightly The one saying: "No procedures underway."ajar doorway.

Trying to very
Dice Stealth:
2d20+2kh1 (17, 18 (keeping 18) )+2 Total = 20
carefully open the door enough, she slips through and takes
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (17)+2 Total = 19
a look around, to see if there is anything in particular that catches her interest.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 06-15-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 PM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,194
Kytaran Finuthin
right-aligned image
Kytaran peers at the odd couple, trying to recall what he’s heard about the History Check = 26Pallurd Wann and History Check = 24Lina. Once he puts the names to the faces he silently berates himself for not recognizing them earlier.

Seeing Elrohir floundering, he gives the newcomers a smile most people would consider cold, but is actually fairly genuine. ”Archmage Wann needs no introduction. People in my profession have naturally heard of one of the father of modern divination and co-founder of the Arcana Pansophical,” he says smoothly. ”While I do not presume to ask about the reasons for your visit here, it is interesting that the Pansopical has sent it’s best and brightest to see what’s going on. Perhaps we can continue with our rather successful diplomatic endeavors this morning and make another mutually beneficial agreement with you, right on top of the one we just made with the Clasp?

His wording was carefully chosen to elicit a reaction from the gnome, given his apparently poor view of the Clasp. There is no point hiding their agreement, so the best policy is honesty, he feels. ”As you correctly surmised, this meeting with our local friendly tabaxi Clasp-boss was to follow up on events that took place yesterday, where an assassin used sorcery to blow himself up in a manner similar to that used in the attack on the Lyceum. Working with agents of the Clasp we managed to kill him before he could complete his ritual, so the explosion was contained somewhat,” Kytaran continues, wondering just how much to tell Wann. ”The Clasp was eager for revenge, but after an honest exchange of opinions they agreed to work with us to find the real culprits, instead of lashing out in all directions, as was their original intent.”

He leans back, studying the gnome’s face. He was going to leave it at that, but feels like he should give his companions a subtle heads-up about Wann’s companion. ”I have to say I’m curious about the company you keep, Archmage Wann. Lina Harshwinter is, of course, a fixture of our art scene. In fact I belief we might need to ask for her help as a person of interest in our investigation may have been dating the star of her most recent production,” he says. ”The question is what brings the two of you together."

He doesn’t bother adding something about the obvious physical attributes of Lina Harshwinter, the fact that she carries herself like a warrior capable of ripping his head off with her bare hands, assuming he’d let her close enough to try.

OOC
 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 06-18-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is online now
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,989
Valdur
left-aligned image

Vasldur nodded along with Elrohir's explanation, having no real reason to try and interject his opinion on the matter. He no doubt looked a bit out of place on an investigation team but he could easily be seen as some hired muscle. No need to complicate the story. As he sat finishing the rest of his coffee he struggled to recall any specific details about Pallurd Wann or Lina Harshwinter 'Wann' sounded distantly familiar but the only bell that rung was him being the 'Hero of Greenest'. His abilities with divination or even being 'one of the modern fathers' of the art was lost on the Dwarf. Lina however, was a little more quick to appear in his memory. He attended one of her shows but was stuffed towards the back of the theater. Even then she brought the house down as he recalled. Just being so far away he couldn't make out any fine details about her so he didn't recognize her straight away being this up-close.

To add to the discussion, Valdur thought this would be the best person to ask. An apparent Archmage if Kytarana was correct. And a diviner no less. Sure he might have some greater insight onto what happened to him. Leaning in, Valdur cleared his throat before speaking. "*hem* Er, Wann? Any chance you happen to have an ally of th' divine? someone with strong connections to th' literal higher-ups? I've been party to some... interest from someone who has close ties to a particular god. I'd rather keep it at that until tomorrow evening if you'd prefer to ask further into things." He leaned back into his seat, stroking his bushy beard, feeling pleased with himself for being subtle in his hinting.


Character Sheet
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often

Last edited by Tyeal; 06-19-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 06-20-2019, 04:30 PM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 2414
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,525
Lady Sorrel allows herself a small smirk of self-satisfaction just as her performance finishes. Before Lina Harshwinter even speaks, she knows that her performance has impressed the woman and when the socialite extends the invitation of an encore performance, Lady Sorrel returns her bow and say silkily, "It would be my pleasure, of course. Tomorrow evening works wonders."

At this point it seems time to join the conversation. Lady Sorrel moves over into the booth and sits with the others.


StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 AM
Jim Faindel's Avatar
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel is offline
I encourage peace
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-08-2019
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Posts: 1,964
Chapter 2 – Unkind Kindling 14th of Quen’pillar - Noon

right-aligned image
The quick-witted gnome allowed his smile to fade away as Kytaran unveiled the truth behind his friendly demeanor. With a sigh, he put his tea aside and waved his hand towards the elf in a manner that implied pleasantries were not needed nor wanted, but answered without any sign of hostility: "We are together because we are friends detective, good friends that had been apart for far too long. We were adventurers once, the kind that saved towns, rooted out cults and slayed dragons, but that's hardly a story for such a time. Pray tell now, what kind of agreement are you looking for? You know where my loyalty lies, but if we can help each other, then I see no reason not to hear you out. Just be quick about it, if you can, because I really want to check on my few remaining friends before the professor and the sheriff are targeted again by exploding assassins."

As Mr. Pallurd said this, Elrohir's ears perked up for a moment as realization struck. In a hushed whisper he asked the mage "By any chance, would this sheriff of yours be a halfling rogue, brilliant and secretive, well connected and recently going bald?" To which the gnome answered with a new-born smile as he tapped the side of his nose with a finger along with the elf's description of his friend, only to snort and burst out laughing by the end as he asked "Wait, wait, wait. Going bald? Muahahaha, that's something the little rascal forgot to mention on his letters! Lina, you knew about this?" It was then the Lady's turn to frown as she nodded with a grim expression, giving the wizard a stern look until his laugher eventually died down, dissimulated by a cough and a quick drink of his sweet and ice-cold tea.

But then, just when things were starting to get awkward, Valdur's hints seemed to shift his attention as he pried into the dwarf's words before replying. "Oh, I'll have to check on you if I am in town tomorrow alright, but let me set something straight here, which your friends may already know but I'd like to say all the same. Divination doesn't mean I am some sort of holy wizard, rather that I am one capable of making predictions to some extent. Now, let me ask you something: Have you ever wished you could see into the future? Wish you had the farsight to prevent tragedy, death, and regrets? Take it from me, you don't want it. I possess the gift of Far Sight, the Third Eye, whatever you want to call it. I can see into the near future and watch events unfold as dictated by the present. I have seen the actions of foolish soldiers, reckless revolutionaries, cunning businessmen, and charismatic women. I've grown to fear and respect this power, but also hate it. I hate that my present barely effects the future, that I can see nearly the result of every action taken by anyone I pass in a city or town and can do nothing to help them. I've long since stopped trying to warn those people; they never believe me. Even after I told Lina here about her lover's betrayal, she brushed off such warnings and pressed on, more determined to see their dreams come true. That damned theater is all that remains of that dream."

​He took a long drought from his glass, grunting and wiping his mouth with the back of his sleeve as his eyes turned purple for a moment before he spoke again. "So, still want to know your future? Well, let me tell you that your little force will commit the same mistake twice: you will underestimate two mages, one which will play you like fools only to cut your strings and let you fall, and another which will play the fool on its own only to come at the eleventh hour as your savior. Have fun acting paranoid around every spell-caster you come across for the rest of your investigation after hearing that!" But then, before he could add anything else to his cryptic prediction, the imperious presence of Lady Harshwinter stood up, commanding everyone's attention as she uttered a single word: "Wann." Her eyes heavy as judgement yet tinged with sadness. Only then did the gnome relent and meekly lowered his own gaze, whispering "I... I am sorry Lina. I got a bit carried away there." But by the time he looked up, the tall woman's frown had already disappeared entirely, as she was sitting down again and enjoying her drink with the elegance and beauty of a delicate flower, just as she turned to Lady Sorrel and spoke ever so softly: "Marvelous. I will arrange for some refreshments then, and if it would be important to you, I'll even ask the young Dimash to join us as well. But a lady should not walk alone outside the city walls at such late hours, so I'd recommend you to bring one of these fine gentlemen as your plus-one." As she seemed to have left the wizard's tangent entirely in the past, any social faux-pas commited instantaneously erased by her grace alone.

left-aligned image

Just as soon as Ashelle had revealed her injuries, the doctor fell deadly quiet and approached with her golden claw extended, not aiming to touch the bruised neck, but instead to place a single finger on top of her lips, asking her to remain quiet as she proceeded to examine her with cold eyes. So focused was the dragonborn in her endeavor, that she did not notice the invisible women peeking behind her doors and whispering arcane words, her face devoid of any expression as she assessed her patient.

"My walls are not so thin you'd need to lie little miss. I've seen bruises like yours in other girls, more often than not when the police send me to identify their bodies in the gutters. You don't have to tell me who did this, but I can't spare the bed you'd take when someone else may need it. Now, the way this looks, it likely caused you to be deprived of oxygen for several minutes, and its a wonder you can speak at all with the damage to your vocal chords. We'll have to check you for brain damage first, and I can at least get you something to help with the swelling, but pain-killers are far too expensive to give away to someone who'd rather remain quiet and pretend like nothing happened, like some kind of broken doll. Tell me the truth here Ashbur, is this the worst you have to show me or am I gonna have to tear your clothes apart in order to give you a proper diagnosis?"

Dr. Luminaar'a then retrieved a small lantern from her desk and proceeded to shake it for a moment before a thin white line of light came out of its small lense. With this tool in her hand, she approached once again, saying "Now don't move too much, I need to check how deep the damage to the nervous system is, and the eyes are a pretty good place to start. We can talk payments and deals once we get a clear picture of your case."

 

__________________
If I could be an expert in just one arcane
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 06-21-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 06-23-2019, 01:07 AM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is online now
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2019
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,309
left-aligned image



Torn between not wishing to be a pervert, and curiosity of who was taking a bath in the next room over, Theresa begins to Through the door of beads?
Dice Stealth:
2d20+2kh1 (14, 19 (keeping 19) )+2 Total = 21
carefully make her way toward the sound of rushing water.

At once both proud and frightened by her awesomeness at being a thief, she pauses to
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (11)+2 Total = 13
take a look around, while also drawing her daggers. Theresa can feel Andi niggling to come out, wanting to play with the little girl.

~ Not now, Andi!

~ Ah!! Who are you!? Where's Drea? She'd let me play.

~ Which is precisely why I'm in control, and not her.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by In the Mix; 06-23-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM
anamiac's Avatar
anamiac anamiac is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 3542
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Posts: 5,186

"Don't touch my clothes!" Ashele recoils from the woman. "It's just my neck!" The last thing that she needed was the doctor discovering her illusionary armor. She didn't know how she would explain things...

Her reaction probably hadn't done much to inspire the doctor's confidence. "Look... I don't need my clothes ripped. I understand if my word isn't much worth to you. If you ask me to, I will take remove my clothes so you can do a proper inspection." She glances around the room. She knew that Tuson and his men were watching the building, and if the doctor asked her to strip, she wanted to be sure she wouldn't be in a position where one of them could see her through a window. She hoped the doctor wouldn't press the issue. Renegald Drake had done his best to carve her up before she'd finally ended the fight by taking off his hand. And then there was the wound from the displacer beast yesterday. Salt had healed that with magic, but she hadn't taken a look at it today, and she didn't know if it had healed without scarring. What would this doctor make of her scars?

Setting aside her initial alarm, Ashele otherwise Got a whopping 25 on my fort savecomplies with the doctor's tests and proddings, ignoring the pain and embarrassment that threatened to swallow her.

 

 

__________________
We are men of action, lies do not become us.
Westley - The Princess Bride

Last edited by anamiac; 06-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 06-26-2019, 07:03 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,194
Kytaran Finuthin
right-aligned image
Kytaran nods slowly as the gnome speaks, his expression neutral. He may not be the worlds greatest diplomat, in fact, not even the best diplomat in this room, but he knows better than to anger powerful wizards needlessly.

”Your loyalties are known, as are mine,” he replies to the gnome when he inquires about what kind of an agreement is being suggested. ”Both of us want to find out who was behind the attack and determine if they have planned other such atrocities. My suggestion is that we cooperate in such ways as are possible, sharing information. Your bald friend has assembled this task force for a reason, and hand-picked the people placed on it. I would hope that you give us the time we need to investigate this without any unfortunate interruptions,” he says, trying to walk the tightrope between telling the gnome too much and telling him too little. Both could be damaging for the task force.

”We have reason to belief the attack on the Lyceum was not an isolated incident. Our encounter with a second assassin last night, who also used powerful magic to blow himself up, is proof of that,” he continues. ”In fact, I had plans to see one of the city’s prominent mages this afternoon hoping they would be able to give their insight on a magical matter related to the attacks. I had no idea you were in the city or I would, naturally, have sought you out with this problem,” he says smoothly. Flattery always works, if only just a little.

He pulls out one of the sheets of paper with the copied runes from the skeleton of the initial attacker, passing the sheet to the gnome. ”Does this make any sense to you, Mr. Pallurd?” he asks, careful not to give out where they had encountered the runes or what they had been inscribed on.

When the gnome answers the inane question from the dwarf, displaying a disturbing lack of knowledge of both arcane and divine magic, Kytaran fights hard to keep himself from rolling his eyes. His ears perk up when Pallurd mentions their future. ”That’s an interesting prophesy. And half of it might be self-fulfilling, unless I’m mistaken,” the elf says, a coldness in his eyes that wasn’t there before. ”Or do you mean to tell us you aren’t the first mage you mentioned, the one that will play us like fools and then let us fall?" Although angering mages is never a good idea, Kytaran recalls the words of his bladesinger master discussing what to do when confronted with a superior foe. If you must fight, he had said, attack first, hard and fast. Words to live by, Kytaran thinks as he tries to Insight check = 6gauge the gnome’s reactions.


OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 AM
ihinka's Avatar
ihinka ihinka is offline
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-11-2019
RPXP: 1720
ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka ihinka
Posts: 1,080
Let's dwell some more on the erotic chocking bit!
right-aligned image
As the trio of women infiltrated the clinic Ash immediately got down to business, distracting the physician to give the invisible Silvana and Drea a chance to investigate. As the gunsmith looked about to gauge her surroundings and decide where to begin her search she could not ignore Ash's mentioning of her neck and the bruises that could be found there. The gunslinger barely resisted the urge to touch her own neck, where imprints of Lady Sorrel's fingers could still be found. And should one venture to examine the magnetic bard's neck up close they would find similar markings there as well. Erotic choking was not something Silvana practiced or was accustomed to. Not to mention she and the beautiful bard were colleagues, fresh acquaintances. Not something nearly intimate enough on the level of erotic choking. No! The connection had to be that poem they'd managed to translate and its link to that cult.

So many strings...! Silvana thought as she approached the door to the room where the patients rested. Anxiously she looked back to make sure Ash was doing a wondrous job at keeping the dragonborn doctor busy and well distracted, before she drew her hand to her mouth and whispered softly a command word. She held her breath for a second or so until the fear of being discovered passed and set her gaze upon the walls separating her from the patient ward. With the ring magically enhancing her sight Silvana quickly found what she was looking for. Well, no, not exactly! The draw was nowhere to be found among the resting patients. But one of the empty beds was bloodied and there was a sending earring on the nightstand next to it. Just like the one currently dangling from the gunsmith's ear, twin to the one Lady Sorrel also sported. Also just like the one Gilmore reported having sold to their drow suspect.

But where is she!? Silvana wondered. There were two more places she could explore. The storage room. And the procedure room. And then there was the space behind the beaded curtain which probably lead to the doctor's private quarters. The gunslinger could feel Drea moving about the space within the clinic as well, but she couldn't tell her exact location. And Silvana also had no method of reporting what she'd discovered to Ash, the guard members outside, or Drea. The gunsmith considered her choices. The procedure room was reportedly unoccupied at the moment, if the sign was to be believed. The storage room would be a good hiding place probably, but that would mean the drown knew they were coming and was warned to hide there. But if that was the case, wouldn't simply running away be a better alternative than hide? And then there were the doctor's rooms.

If Silvana strained enough she could just make out the quiet voices of what seemed like a little girl and a woman speaking. She quietly made her way to the beaded curtain. With the storage room locked away and the procedure room not a likely location for the missing drow, the gunsmith was more interested in finding out who the woman was that was talking to the little girl. She tried A dirty 20 on my stealthto slip past the beaded curtain as unnoticeably as she knew how and once on the other side took a few measured steps before stopping And unfortunately a nat1 for a total of 6 on my Perception to look about and listen in.


Actions and Rolls
 



Character DetailsSheet

 


 
__________________
How do you wanna do this?!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 AM
Vislands's Avatar
Vislands Vislands is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 2414
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Posts: 1,525
Lady Sorrel's eyes sparkle with a deep interest as the mage, Wann, goes off on his tangent concerning his powers of divination. What would it be to possess that power? The tiefling thinks to herself, an impish smile coming to her lips as she listens to the gnome speak with clear bitterness. He even went so far as to bring up the personal woes of Lina Harshwinter
which the Seamstress's ears absorb greedily. To see what detritus the tides of change and chaos leave before they occur.

After Lina Harshwinter finally has enough and silences Wann, Kytaran seems to think the moment opportune for more verbal jousting. He should stick with what he's good at. Lady Sorrel interjects with the precision of a needle in an attempt to smooth over the bounty hunter's rudeness. "
Dice Persuasion:
2d20+10kh1 (10, 7 (keeping 10) )+10 Total = 20
Please excuse my companion's poor sense of humor, Sir Pallurd. We thank you for your warning, cryptic as it might be."
Lady Sorrel turns to Lina and replies to her suggestion of bringing a companion to the show." A fine idea! I'm sure I'll find somebody suitable." She gives the bladesinger and the GDI owner a teasing, almost challenging smile.


StatBlock
 
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is online now
Superior Sorcerer Supreme
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 4782
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 1,989
Valdur
left-aligned image

Valdur watched with wide eyes as he saw Wann's gaze turn purple and all-encompassing, rattling off words that seemed to carry an echo to them. Like they were being spoken through him instead of by him. As the glow faded he straightened up in his seat, taken aback by the display of Wann's abilities. He had only dealt with figures who claimed to see in the the future and beyond yet none such figures ever behaved in that way when 'demonstrating' their powers. That felt... wholly different than what he had seen before.

With his prediction given the Dwarf adjusts his armor a little and replies, summoning his courage, "I assure you Wann, that I keep eyes open for any spellcaster I happen t'meet. My routine won't change. I'm just as ready now as I was three days ago when this whole situation began. I'm trained to fight demons and fey and otherworldly creatures. I can hold my own against magic." His hazel eyes affix firmly onto the wizened Gnome's face, making it unmistakable he believed what he said. With that prediction he felt their exchange was wrapping up. He stood up from his chair, giving a polite nod to Wann and Lady Harshwinter and checking to make sure his hammer was clear. He still wished to visit a certain priestess and simply hoped there'd be enough hours in the day to do so...


Character Sheet
 
__________________
I am never without protection. Forever am I armed with razor wit and a sharp mind. - Anonymous
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often

Last edited by Tyeal; 07-05-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 AM
Jim Faindel's Avatar
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel is offline
I encourage peace
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-08-2019
RPXP: 4094
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Posts: 1,964
Chapter 2 – Unkind Kindling 14th of Quen’pillar - Noon
left-aligned image
The old gnome looked long and hard at Kytaran, for once, his facade holding without cracking as the eyes heavy with age and wisdom passed through the relatively young elf. "You are a curious one. Weren't you asking for my cooperation mere seconds ago? I assure you that if I ever feel the need for toying with you lot, I'll let you know in advance. Someone my age has little use for scheming and deception after all. Now quit pointing fingers if you don't want them disintegrated and hand me that scroll of yours." he finished saying as he snatched the piece of paper where Kytaran had transcribed the runes carved on whitestone bone.

With a series of arcane pronunciations, the mage studied the scroll, first with intrigue, then with horror, and finally with a look of sadness so overwhelming it could drown you all. One by one he produced three different strands of magic runes which he artfully pulled from the thin sheet of paper before making them float with faint light around him, immediately making you recall the enchanted papers Assum had shown you when first summoning you at the Philosopher King tavern. One of them, he looked at twice, and then collapsed into his forehead as his eyes turned purple once more while the text disappeared. The other, he sent gliding through the air towards the two ladies, and the third he hesitantly expanded, until a grim and disturbing image could be seen for a brief moment, before the disgruntled gnome finally snuffed out its light.

And then he spoke anew: "I am glad you showed me this, but also afraid that it likely wont be possible to leave Emon without relieving you of a certain skeleton. What you so perfectly replicated young man was at the same time a powerful magical command and a suicide letter, both parts heart-felt poetry and terrifying declaration. First, let me tell you that written in primordial was a modified ritual instruction for a Gate spell, set to open directly at the heart of the plane of fire. Mind you, not in the geographical middle of the plain, not in the border with this one, nor even within the city of Dis, but instead at the vortex of raw fire energy that serves both as heart and hearth for the elemental chaos of that world. The picture you just saw was meant to channel the spell's requirements through the caster's mind, and as you likely can imagine already, it called for a physical focus in the form of whitestone and other alchemical reagents, an atrociously high number of extinguished lives as kindling, and a single human soul, consumed in full by the fire it would summon, to provide this massacre with will. After talking with the Sheriff, I'll arrange for the pansophical to take that skeleton from you before it can be targeted by any third party, so any further investigation you'd wish to accomplish with it as material evidence for your case, I'd recommend you complete by tonight, detectives."

After saying this, Wann fell quiet for a moment, his tired eyes turning towards Lina as he gathered the strength to continue saying "The final part was a divine, or rather profane magical bond meant to stabilize the flux of power by tying it to a greater force from beyond the veil. It is also a song, one which our ladies here may be capable of recognizing." before raising a hand and allowing Lady Lina to take the initiative, her cold eyes almost finished reading the magic lines that had floated her way as she whispered "This is old celestial... and I do recognize it friend. Lady Sorrel, would you mind accompanying me with your flute for a moment? This language requires some musicality, so it can be fully translated into the mortal tongue." before clearing her throat and singing in a voice soft as the night, yet furious as the storm:

"Buildafire
A Wish
Not wishy-washy or watered down.
A blaze to burn tenets & tenements to ground.
A pure, purposed scorching that cannot be doused,
not the tainted hubris of angel-kind.
Where will and desire
meet as oxygen and fire,
mind and heart as two sticks rubbing, furious,
fanning glowing embers of imagination, like curious child,
wondering, willing, willful, wild,
Igniting conflagration, blue, green, gold.
Mesmerizing if it will only take hold.
This fire I’ll nurture, encircle,
its servant be made,
dutiful, not groveling, like imprisoned slave,
I will stand sentinel and stave
off the elements that would
gulp or snuff each rising spark,
protecting it from cold & dark,
raising temperature in dead of night,
while some,
safe in homes,
snugly, smugly wish my fire out,
unable to reckon what this wish is all about.
Perhaps I’ll become a well told joke,
crouched over glittering ash,
a stoker of hot air, an ass!
But I pay no mind,
cold, alone,
tucking coals in ring of stone.
Tending tender, tented down,
a line in sand or snow drawn ’round
This hearth of my heart, my passionate post,
rekindles my purpose like accursed ghost,
flames internal,
eternal,
reigniting,
‘Til a burning bursts forth,
brightblindingblueburn,
and my fire engulfs me, tending me in return,
kindling in kind,
holding fast to belief,
a forest fire bursting
from one dry leaf."


And then, sitting back down and looking stoically at the detectives, she added: "Perhaps only a bard, and a tiefling one at that, would know this song. For it is a cursed and forbidden one, written by the fallen angel Zariel before she renounced her divine bows to protect the balance between the planes and became the Archduchess of Avernus.

right-aligned image

The dragonborn inspected the elven girl thoroughly, not sparing a single thought to the discomfort and pain she could be inflicting other than those strictly required to provide an accurate diagnostic of her patient. With a sigh, she turned her backs to Ash and said with a dispassionate voice "I am afraid there are some signs of global cerebral hypoxia indeed. Not too severe, and hopefully not permanent, but you'll likely experience problems with concentration, attention, co-ordination and short-term memory, which may be relatively subtle to begin with, but will last you for a couple of days. I am afraid this is precisely the kind of delicate medical conditions that can't simply be fixed by a cleric praying for your good health, and I cannot in good conscience let you go without some treatment."

Dr. Luminaar'a said this as she absent-mindedly pulled an unlit cigarette from her pocket and put it on her mouth, looking at Ash for a moment and tapping her clawed foot against the floor before finally sighing and turning towards the cabinets filled with medicines behind her, taking a handful of powder and herbs and setting them on her desk before pulling out a small mortar and pestle, quickly grinding them into a smelly yellow paste. She took that salve as well as some bandages and deftly proceeded to apply it on Ashelle's bruised neck, saying "We can at least do this for your bruising, and I do have some medicine you could take, but it isn't cheap. If I were to give it to you..." She stopped in her tracks for a moment, and then looked at the elf in the eyes for what seemed like the first time, despite having focused on them for so long in her analysis before raising a proposal "I've got an offer Miss Ashbur. If you are willing to deliver a message for me, we may be able to free up a bed for you after all. Are you at all interested in helping me out in exchange for treatment?"

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the room, both detectives managed to squeeze beneath the beaded curtain without disturbing it much. It took Silvana a moment to realize that the body she had bumped into without realizing belonged to Drea, her reflexes instinctively making her reach for her gun at the possibility of having discovered the drow moving invisibly as she'd done during their chase on the night prior. By the time she realized this wasn't the case, the sorcerer had already moved past her and put an ear against the bathroom door. Regaining her composure, the tiefling gunslinger focused on the room before her, her eyes immediately drawn towards the precious sight of a sweet little dragonborn girl, dressed in white summer clothes much too fancy for the slums and sitting amdist several colourful cushions, having some tea with what seemed like a floating porcelain doll, a little cracked and smiling as a woman's voice came out of it, saying "...but of course my dear, I just love your dress! I nearly mistook you for a princess at first!" to which the little one giggled and replied "Oh, you flatter me Lady Bella, I just wish my mama and lady Cieth could've joined us for a spot of tea!" with a heavy posh accent and some playful theatrics, as she moved a small tin kettle without even touching it and refilled her own cup. The doctor's daughter then stopped for a moment and turned towards the wall's partition, listening intently as she seemingly did manage to hear the women passing through, but failing to spot them as her curious gaze passed straight through them and joyfully returned to her little party, to which she added with a smile "But I bet when her beautiful friend comes pick her up we'll be able to chat my dear, I very much hope so!"

 

__________________
If I could be an expert in just one arcane
and madness inducing field of study,
it would be you.

Last edited by Jim Faindel; 07-29-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:21 AM
kymrel's Avatar
kymrel kymrel is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 2458
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
Posts: 2,194
Kytaran Finuthin
right-aligned image
Kytran smiles with smug satisfaction at the gnome as he angrily tells him that if ever he felt like toying with the investigators, he’d tell them in advance. ”Exactly my worry,” Kytaran replies quickly. ”At any rate, forewarned is forearmed, as they say,” he continues. The gnome might think himself so far above the investigators that he can toy with them, but in reality what he’s said doesn’t preclude Kytaran being right. If anything, the need to scheme and deceive is more relevant the older and more powerful one gets, the elf thinks as he hands his sheet over to the irritated wizard.

He watches in silence as the mage studies the scroll, his face displaying various emotions as he realizes what this means. Kytaran’s eyebrows shoot up when Wann first states that he’ll have to relieve the investigators of the skeleton, and then even higher when the gnome calls the elven bladesinger ‘young’. He remains silent though, listening to what the mage has to say about the skeleton and the runes. As before, he doesn’t bother with notes, trusting his magically enhanced mental faculties to keep all the details.

”Interesting. So rather than causing an explosion the way we would conventionally think of the term, this magic opened a gateway to the heart of the Elemental Plane of Fire. Well, that is one way to burn down the neighborhood,” he finally says, his mouth dry. ”I for one don’t mind you taking the skeleton for safe keeping. I have already done my examination and have transcribed the runes. What remains is highly dangerous and I wouldn’t mind giving the responsibility to keep it safe to someone more suited to the task.”

He thinks for a moment before continuing. ”What you say about the magic used, does this mean that the man sacrificing himself to do this had the knowledge to inscribe and infuse his bones, or was he merely the willing instrument of someone with that magical talent?

He thinks for a moment, unsure how much to tell Wann, but then continues. ”The second explosion last night was caused by a cornered assassin who activated his magic when he knew he couldn’t get away from us alive and didn’t like the idea of being captured. How difficult would the preparations for a ritual of this kind be? Is it conceivable there are many more either being prepped for a suicidal spell like that, or already prepared? What do your divinations tell you about that?”

Kytaran listens carefully to the lyrics of the song Lina sings, trying to understand the significance of the words in this context. ”So the ritual is some kind of a collaboration between arcane power and profane daemonic magic. There can’t be too many groups that can pull together something like that, right?” he says, trying to keep the wrinkled gnome talking.

OOC
 

 
__________________
People say I'm evil and twisted, but I really have the heart of a young boy. In a jar, on my desk.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by kymrel; 07-09-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:48 PM
In the Mix's Avatar
In the Mix In the Mix is online now
Chocolate Chips
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-14-2019
RPXP: 2834
In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix In the Mix
Posts: 2,309
left-aligned image


Theresa's eyes widen as she hears the somebody hurriedly climbing out of the bath. Looking around,
Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (16)+2 Total = 18
she looks for place she can be out of sight when the door opens, and tries to
Dice Stealth:
1d20+2 (12)+2 Total = 14
quietly hide there. She slowly, carefully, removes the magic handcuffs, ready to use them if necessary.

As she waits, she anxiously tries to figure out where Silvana is. But of course, even if she can figure it out, she's not sure how to tell her the door was about to open. Hoping that the person in the bathroom is noisy enough to not hear what she is about to do, Theresa snaps her fingers three times, hoping that only Silvana, and maybe the little dragonborn, notice.

 

 

 
__________________
Has taken the Oath of Sangus.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM
anamiac's Avatar
anamiac anamiac is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 09-15-2019
RPXP: 3542
anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac anamiac
Posts: 5,186

"Global cerebral hypoxia..." Ashele mutters to herself. That wasn't ideal. No, not good at all. Attention and Concentration? Her job. Short term memory - well, she had her notebook to help with that, but it was still an issue. Coordination could mean the difference between life and death. It was exactly what she didn't need right now, with the conspiracy against the city lurking in the shadows. Ashele gives a wearied sigh and holds still while the woman applies a stinky poultice to her neck. She worried that the bandages that followed might be visible underneath the scarf.

The doctor was offering her a bed, in exchange for running an errand. Ashele could tell that the exhange would be a god-send to an urchin, but she wasn't sure if she wanted it. She had things to do and places to be, and errand running and bed rest hadn't factored into her plans. However, in the end she needed to play along with the role. "Sure miss. If I do your errand, I get a bed for a bit? Where would you like me to go?" Now that she thought about it, she was curious as to what the doctor might need communicated. If she was really lucky, it might even have something to do with Cirith Vel'ond. She doubted that the doctor was any sort of co-conspirator, but it couldn't hurt to be taken into her confidence. Maybe Cirith Vel'ond wasn't here at all and the doctor needed Ash to return her earring to her or something. There were also Cirith's gang members to consider.

 

__________________
We are men of action, lies do not become us.
Westley - The Princess Bride
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB