Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Starfinder > The Eye of Solaris
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 5th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10871
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain

Nicholas Kane
Human Detective

Nick had seen people try all sorts of techniques to smuggle things in all manner of creative and sometimes ingenious ways. Applying his own personal experience, he gave the crate a
Dice Perception Check:
1d20+8 (17)+8 Total = 25
once over, looking for signs of what it might have contained or how it was used in case it was swapped with other other crate of the same serial number.

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30716
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
AirlockIt's kind of the best way of contaminating clues is to let people amateur poke around like that. Five people to look into a crate is way too much. When the engineers are done with their fancy equipment that found nothing and gives up, they leave the empty crate alone for Nick to gets to work and investigate this the old fashion way as if it would be a crime scene on earth. The crate door opened from the front like a fridge. Arisawa's red hair floating a bit around her head because of the microgravity gives him the idea to look under the top of the container in case something was floating up. He makes an interesting discovery. Nothing else is found.

Last edited by MoonZar; Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain

Nicholas Kane
Human Detective

Nick poked his head inside the crate, not quite sure what he was looking for. Despite the lights in the air lock, the corners inside the crate still held enough shadows to hide something. Taking a small flashlight, he began looking at all the usual places things tend to get overlooked. He spun himself around, using the benefit of the weightlessness to allow himself to "lie" on his back while looking at the top of the crate.

Something caught his eye and he moved the flashlight to his mouth and pulled out a small worn zippered pouch. Inside were an assortment of tiny tools used in the collection of evidence. In this case, he produced a pair of tweezers. "Gotcha", he said as he exited the crate and turned off his flashlight, returning it once more to his pocket.

"Hey Conner, think you can match this hair against anyone that would of had contact with this crate", he asked as a five-inch long white hair floated from the end of his tweezers.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Jul 6th, 2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 12:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17773
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
This should be good - Airlock
left-aligned image

Finding nothing with his preliminary inspection, the comandante stows his knife back in his belt. Standing back with cannon ready, he leaves the remaining investigating to sharper eyes. Several theories are tested but come to nothing. Luis grows understandably frustrated, to say nothing of the others.

Finally, the detective happens on their first break. Shouldering his cannon, Luis claps Nicholas heartily on the back. "Well done, Mr. Kane." Stroking his whiskers, he thinks aloud, "I can't recall any of us on board with white hair. ... Mayhap, it good to confirm the hair even from a human? ... Whatever was inside, it is a safe bet elsewhere on the ship now." Looking back to Conner and Arisawa, he asks, "Captain, Lieutenant, any way for the scanners to track this sample to the source on the ship?"

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 01:05 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Into the Beyond
left-aligned image
"We have complete medical records on all of you, including DNA scans as you saw during Hannah's presentation so if their is a DNA match connection in some fashion should be simple enough to find out. If its not one of the crew perhaps we might learn a few details about who it belongs to, but if its a stowaway of some sort I wouldn't expect there to be a great number of places they could hide. The hair could have been left by somebody planet side and not actually somebody on board who placed something in the crate, if so we may not have their DNA on file, but lets not go down that rabbit hole just yet." Conner looks around for some type of container for the strand of hair, and assuming he can find something he secures it and then looks at the others.

"Tests will take a bit of time, and in the mean time all we can do is be cautious but if somebody is on board and has been for fifteen days now they are fairly adept at staying hidden in cramped quarters. As soon as I find anything though I will certainly pass it along, in the mean time is there any parts of the ships where somebody could hide?"

Once things are wrapped up here at the airlock Conner works his way back towards the medical bay where he can examine the hair under a microscope to get a better look at it and run some tests to confirm whether its human, then with multiple high res pics and then proceeds to the DNA testing which will likely destroy the sample but there is no reason to keep the hair after having taken high res pictures of the hair. It would take a couple hours to complete but he should be able to visually identify if its human fairly easily by sight, and that would least give them some small answers.

oocDo we have ship wide scanners like that, if we do Conner will certainly make use of them? Do crew have trackers on them?

Last edited by OneDarkness; Jul 7th, 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 02:34 PM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30716
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
Hair?It's not a trouble for Connor to secure the hair and get to work in the medbay. The test will take a couple of hours, he can already confirm that it's for sure human, not animal or alien. The Hikari doesn't have motion detectors or tracker for crew members. Only when they wear their armour or space suit that their vital and location are feed into the control center of the ship. The ship is not that big, so a few locations to hide come in mind. Of course there's the cargo hold with a large number of crates and space to hide. The vehicles bay and shuttle bay also could be a good location to hide, none of them remember to have visited the place really. The vent system of the engine room is pretty neat to hide as well, both Alyssa and Arisawa crawled there on occasions. Finally, there's a double floor for cables and conduits all over their feet, someone could hide there. All this is assuming they have an intruder, it could simply be hair from one of the base crews that was loading the cargo. However, why the duplicate serial numbers, it's strange.

OOCPlease in your next post, tell me what your character is doing while waiting for the test result

Last edited by MoonZar; Jul 7th, 2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jul 7th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14786
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Building tomorrow today
The crate had been a strange sort of thing that was for sure. Arisawa had let the detective do his work and in the meantime she had other things to do. Constructing a fusion reactor because it wouldn’t assemble itself. So, she exited the airlock and was busy doing that while the machine determined where the strange hair had come from.

If anyone else was working with her they’d hear her singing some Celtic song or another.

Old Jul 7th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15681
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Alyssa Brent
left-aligned image

The two weeks went by faster for Alyssa than for some of the others, at least they seemed like they had. Compared with her last venture into space, she was swamped with work and she love it that way. Days ticked off the calendar and they got every closer to their destination. She was barely able to contain her excitement. So, she diverted all of that energy into the drones and the fusion reactor.

She was working with Arisawa on the reactor when one of the guys asked for her help in the airlock. She considered going, she was always one for a good mystery, but the thought of being stuck in a small airlock with six other people just wasn't an attractive proposition. So instead, she had Marvin turn up the music and she sang out loud at volumes that would be unreasonable with with anyone else in the room. She'd grown close to the others, especially Arisawa and Chloe, but the rare opportunities for solitude were welcome when you couldn't just go outside for a walk and a bit of fresh air.

It was somehow both longer and shorter than Alyssa expected before Arisawa returned.

"Thanks, Marvin. You can cut the music for now," she said to her computer as she heard the door to the engine room open.

"Alright, Ali," Marvin answered back cheerfully. She'd originally programmed the AI to be more like its depressed namesake, but she'd learned that it got old quickly. The code was still in there though, and she'd occasionally bring it back to surface.

"I take it there was no need for the towel?" she teased as Arisawa entered. "So what was it?" she asked, genuinely interested in whatever had caused the entire cargo hold to be turned upside down for the past two weeks.

Hall of Fame voting is up! Vote while you can.
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17773
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
Go ahead -
left-aligned image

Luis sighs. It would take much longer and for much less result than he'd like. Still, it is more than they had before investigating this. Letting out a breath, the comandante says, "I suppose we can wait the couple hours before reporting to Oberst Muller. Hail us on the comms when you know something, Captain."

Comandante Diaz helps the others move the food crate and mystery crate out from the airlock (though the latter is kept apart for later examination if necessary). "I'll be in the bays if anyone needs me." The comandante walks/floats out toward the vehicle and shuttle bay. While he has not the same reason to regularly check these on board as the mechanics, it would be remiss of a pilot to not take stock of the tools at his disposal. Luis takes mental inventory of the available vehicles and craft. With the there can't be that many in the baystime he has, he take the opportunity to examine the cockpits for their setup, as well as the storage/trunk areas for what equipment is already loaded. It does not hurt that this rules out a number of likely hiding places for a stowaway.

Old Jul 8th, 2019, 11:33 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics

Nicholas Kane
Human Detective

"Thanks, Luis", Nick replied to the comandante's praise. "Hopefully Conner's scan will give us some information to go on."

"You know doc, it's not that far fetched that if someone was in that crate that they might be hiding out somewhere on the ship."

"Luis, wait up. I'll go with you. I also want to take a look around the bays. You know, I'm not really expecting to find anything, but I would feel better if I had a sidearm."

Nick spends the remainder of the time until the sample results are finished being analyzed looking through the bays in search of a possible stowaway.

Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6052
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
The Airlock
left-aligned image
Watching everyone leave one by one, Ludo quickly found himself alone in the airlock. Feeling a little creeped out standing next to an empty crate they could very well have held a stow away, he exits and contemplates his next course of action. With no other general maintenance to be had, he decides to help in the search. Better than standing around, waiting for something to happen. But I'll be damned if I'm caught unarmed when this person makes their move.

Making his way to the weapons locker he reaches for a pistol before hesitating. Warnings about explosive decompression echo in his mind from the training he took prior to launch. With a shudder and a shake of his head Ludo instead reaches for a survival knife and a long blade. Giving the sword a few twirls and swipes to get used to the balance, he affixes it into the clasp on his back and pings the doctor.

<<Dumas? It's Ludo. Kane and Diaz are off to the shuttle bay to conduct the search. I want to help, but I figure it's probably best we stick to searching in pairs, da? The others are busying themselves building a "ye-bat", Russian curseЕбать reactor, so I guess that leaves you and me. If you've got the test running, care to join me? I'm heading to the access panels for the double floor.>>

OOC

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Jul 10th, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:17 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics

Alyssa's voice was pleasing to her ears, "Nothing, and I mean that literally. The crate had absolutely farking nothing inside it. Here I was thinking some criminal conspiracy to blow us all up and now my best guess is human error." She growled a bit and moved over to where Aylssa was working.

She blew out a breath and added, "Also, I miss showers. Didn't think that was what I'd miss most, but yep it is. You'd think it'd be great to be out here, no back pain from gravity pulling on me and yet there it is. I'll take some back pain, muscle cramps, and more just to have an actual falling water on me shower."

Old Jul 10th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15681
DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold DaysUntold
Alyssa Brent
left-aligned image

Alyssa moved over a bit to give Arisawa more room. The engine room was a decent size, but it was anything but spacious, especially compared to what they were all accustomed to on earth. "Well, that's boring," Alyssa said, echoing Arisawa's sentiment, "I could have stayed on earth and witnessed people scrambling for two weeks over a clerical error."

"Meanwhile, we have less than six weeks to get this up and working," she lamented, "hard to believe they sent this up here in this condition, though, I guess I should be glad they sent it at all."

She stopped working and tilted her head, identifying with Arisawa's completely valid complaints. "After my first trip, I took three showers a day for a week and would sit outside in the rain. It sounds insane, but it was so relaxing and I plan on doing the same this time. Maybe a month though, my last trip was a lot shorter."

Suddenly, she scrunched up her nose and very unceremoniously sniffed her clothing. "Wait, was that a hint?" she asked, laughing.

Hall of Fame voting is up! Vote while you can.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 02:06 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6426
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Chloe O'Brien
left-aligned image
The whole crate situation was very frustrating to Chloe. They had found essentially nothing, and yet it still bothered her. Weren't things like cargo weight and mass distribution supposed to be vital to any space launch? Not to mention the tight security around the whole operation; it seemed pretty unlikely a random empty crate could just accidentally end up on board. And yet, what would be the point of it if it were intentional? The whole thing just smelled.

Unsatisfied with just sitting around waiting for test results, she occupied herself by inventorying the away teams's store of weapons and armor. If trouble did show up, she wasn't going to be caught with her pants down.

Old Jul 11th, 2019, 08:29 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics

When Alyssa mentioned getting things working she nodded, [b]"Yeah, the condition isn't the best and the loose wiring along with that empty crate are not exactly making me feel like groundside had any clue what they were doing. Still, you're right it's a good thing we were sent. Just, let's double check every component we work on just in case."

Arisawa laughed as Alyssa took a sniff. "Not for you, or if it is I hardly notice you because of myself. Next time I'll have to take longer in the bath and even then I probably won't really feel clean." She pondered a moment and then looked at Aylssa, "Hey, we might not have much freetime, but I bet between us we could rig up a gyroscope or something. You interested?"